PDA

View Full Version : Nene Resigns w/ Denver; 5/$67M

Lance George
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
ESPN sources: Nene and Nuggets reach terms on five-year, $67 million deal

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Nuggets to re-sign center Nene to five-year, $67 million deal, according to a source.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Nene has agreed to a 5 year, $65M deal plus bonuses to stay with Denver, source tells Y! Sports

daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Source confirms Nuggets agree to terms with their C Nene on a five-year, $67M deal. First reported by ESPN.com

KBergCBS Ken Berger
Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri met Monday night with Nene and reps, one of three or four meetings the team had with its UFA to close deal.

PR07
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Wasn't the ludicrous deal that people were expecting. He may not be a Pacers, but at least he's staying out West.

Trader Joe
Interesting.

xBulletproof
Must have wanted that extra year pretty bad. We offered more per season, AND an opportunity to win.

Denver barely has a roster.

Major Cold
12-13-2011, 10:29 PM
13.4 million a year. Looks like the 5th year was kicker. Hope he enjoys not making the playoffs this year. I would rather have West for 2 years than Nene for 4+ years.

Trader Joe
12-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Do we know for sure what we offered him?

Smits Happens
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Must have wanted that extra year pretty bad. We offered more per season, AND an opportunity to win.

Or he just didn't want to leave Denver for Indianapolis.

MaHa3000
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
13.4 per (+ raises), ? We must have been lower with our offer then reported.

Pacerized
12-13-2011, 10:33 PM
That's a shame, he would have been such a better fit for us then West.
If we really offered a 4/56 contract I don't know why he wouldn't take that over the Nuggets. I think he was undecided for too long and lost the opportunity we had on the table once we signed West. I think his wife is from Denver, that may have been a huge factor.

MaHa3000
12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
With Crawford and apparently Nene rejecting us, kind of makes you think that players just really don't want to play here unless we pay them stupid money.

Kemo
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I liked the prospect of Nene on our team and let alot of you on here convince me of how well he would have fit, but the more I have thought about it over the last 3 or 4 days, the more I was hoping we would have snagged up West... Then it happened...

Now that West is officially a Pacer , I couldn't be more happy, and am looking forward to getting this season underway...

gummy
12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
With Crawford and apparently Nene rejecting us, kind of makes you think that players just really don't want to play here unless we pay them stupid money.

Except we just signed West to a reasonable contract.

I can certainly agree than small-market teams are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to NBA free agents. But it gets a little irritating to hear this old saw all the time, especially when it comes on the heels of contrary evidence.

ksuttonjr76
12-13-2011, 10:56 PM
$13MIL/YR? That's all? Man, you GOTTA wonder what Bird was offering. Offered Crawford 2 years at $5MIL/YR. David West signed for 2 years $10MIL/YR. He makes trade proposals without sacrificing core pieces.

Maybe Larry Bird IS an hard *ss to deal with...

Pacer Fan
12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
NBATV just said 67mil + bonuses.

tadscout
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Reports were we were offering up to 14 mil... but at his he most likely will earn more with the slightly less 5 year contract, than he would the slightly more 4 year deal -- b/c I doubt him getting 11 mil when he is 33.

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I wonder by how much Larry tried to low ball the guy? the only player that took the deal was West because he didn't have many choices.

Wage
12-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Less than I expected, but still far more than I would have wanted to pay.

Hicks
12-13-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm betting he wanted more earlier when we and Houston were still in play.

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm betting he wanted more earlier when we and Houston were still in play.

I think he wanted close to the same but in 4 years.

Hicks
12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Of course you do. It allows you to be upset and question Bird. :-p

jeffg-body
12-13-2011, 11:59 PM
In the long run it will probably work out the best for both parties. I think Nene was good to stay with the Nuggets where his home is and I think we got a better fit with West. He may not be quite as tall but he is tenacious and a natural leader. I think he and Roy will make a heck of a tandem.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Of course you do. It allows you to be upset and question Bird. :-p

No really, the same amount in four years is about 16mil and according to Wells the Pacers were only willing to go 14mil, I would like to know the real amount though.

Peck
12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
In all honesty who cares at this point.

Bird made a play for Nene, the first time in my knowledge that he has ever openly gone to another players home and tried to convince him to come here.

It's the first time in team history that I know of that we brought both the upper managment and the coaching staff to meet with a player.

My guess is with all that in mind we were not lowballing Nene. They may have been asking him to take less with the thought of allowing us to bring in more but you don't pull out all of the guns and then fire blanks.

I think at the end Nene stayed where he has always been and good for him. If it was the way the new CBA was structured that caused him to stay or if he just felt some loyalty I don't care. It's good for the fans of Denver to have a player not crap in thier face.

I only wanted Nene over West because he could play center but at the money and contract we got West at I'm more than thrilled.

Actually now that I've been watching more tape of him the more I am coming to the fact that I actually think he will be a good player for us.

As was aptly said by Trader Joe this morning "my teams on the floor" and that is how I'm looking at this.

Heisenberg
12-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Soooo where's that 6% of BRI to the owners coming from? I thought that meant player salaries were going to HAVE to come down but this has been an offseason like any other in terms of money being tossed around.

DonSwanson
12-14-2011, 12:27 AM

Well let's be careful now because you and others who have cosigned this are indirectly slighting the Pacers if you are implying that Denver can't win right now because of a subpar roster, because what does that say about the Pacers?

Nene>Hibbert
Lawson>Collison
Afflalo (assuming he re-signs)>George
Birdman comparable to Hansbrough

(Last year, Denver had 3 very productive players in Nene, Lawson and Afflalo. One way to illustrate this--All three of them finished top 40 in the Wins Produced metric which examines a player's overall efficiency--Afflalo in particular with an outstanding true shooting percentage of 62%--and no Pacer player was even top 60 last year in WP).

Andre Miller and Danilo Gallinari should also be productive players for them (Mozgov, Harrington not so much). Also have to wonder if they plan to add another PF with the loss of KMART--but I'm a Kenneth Faried fan--rebounding machine!--so he'll give them some great production there from a defensive rebounding standpoint.

That's not a bad team (in fact, last year's Denver team was the most efficient offensive team in the entire league and was average defensively like us), should be fighting for a playoff spot just like us, in that 6th seed to 11th seed range. We obviously have advantages with Granger and West if we're trying to project which team finishes with the better record, but I'm probably not as high on our "stars" as other fans are.

And most importantly, Denver has already proven it can win--18-7 down the stretch last year-- and be a top 5 team in its conference! Indiana has proven it can go 20-18 with the league's 5th easiest strength of schedule in the final 3 months. And this demonstrates that Indiana offers a better opportunity than Denver to win right now? I'm not on board with that. (I'm not someone who gets overly hyped by losing in 5 games versus Chicago... to me, the bigger moral victory in recent Eastern Conference Playoffs history came in 2010 when Milwaukee was without its best player in Andrew Bogut and still managed to scrape and claw its way to 3 wins--which is also why I don't understand how others on here can just completely discount Milwaukee this year with a healthy Bogut). I think Denver can make up for the loss of Chandler and J.R. Smith with some of these other guys like Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer and rookie Jordan Hamilton (reputation for bad attitude, but many feel he's better than your typical late 20's pick).

Not trying to be argumentative, but I just fail to see how this Pacers team relative to the balance of power out there screams out "opportunity to win" that is any more appealing or persuasive than the pitches of other teams such as Denver.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 12:27 AM
No really, the same amount in four years is about 16mil and according to Wells the Pacers were only willing to go 14mil, I would like to know the real amount though.

We start to go much over 14 million and it's no longer worth it, he'd be way overpayed for anything more than 15 million.

You like to talk about age so much, but West is going to 32 when his contract ends here, yet you wanna pay a big almost twice as much, and whose game ACTUALLY relies on athleticism, to come over and play until he's 32? I guarantee you'd find something about Nene to complain about had we actually got him.

Anyways, it looks like perhaps he valued the extra year, and his wife is from Denver, she may not have wanted to leave. Don't act like it was all about us lowballing him, what about the Nets? they offered him stupid money, and he still went back to Denver, he clearly wants to be there, not somewhere else.

PS: David West is a better player than he is, West isn't even a great rebounder, but he's still better at grabbing boards than Nene which is embarrassing at Nene's size. He's a much better scorer, both in volume and at creating his own shot, Nene is also nothing more than an average defender, west is a better passer even. Really Nene isn't really better than David West at anything, except Dunking the ball, and one standout skill isn't worth 16 or 17 million dollars. Nene isn't worth that much. If he would have signed for the annual amount he's apparently OK taking from denver then that's one thing, but he turned down a damn near max deal from the nets apparently, so, that's that.

Hoop
12-14-2011, 12:31 AM
I wanted Nene too, for the same reason Peck did, because he can play PF and center.

I didn't want West at first, I thought he'd want to much money for to long of a contract.

I'm happy now, we didn't over pay, contract is short. If he doesn't work out it's not hurting our future. He could even be an expiring contract next season, if he really doesn't pan out.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Well let's be careful now because you and others who have cosigned this are indirectly slighting the Pacers if you are implying that Denver can't win right now because of a subpar roster, because what does that say about the Pacers?

Nene>Hibbert
Lawson>Collison

(Last year, Denver had 3 very productive players in Nene, Lawson and Afflalo. One way to illustrate this--All three of them finished top 40 in the Wins Produced metric which examines a player's overall efficiency--Afflalo in particular with an outstanding true shooting percentage of 62%--and no Pacer player was even top 60 last year in WP).

Andre Miller and Danilo Gallinari should also be productive players for them (Mozgov, Harrington not so much). Also have to wonder if they plan to add another PF with the loss of KMART--but I'm a Kenneth Faried fan--rebounding machine!--so he'll give them some great production there from a defensive rebounding standpoint.

That's not a bad team (in fact, last year's Denver team was the most efficient offensive team in the entire league and was average defensively like us), should be fighting for a playoff spot just like us, in that 6th seed to 11th seed range. We obviously have advantages with Granger and West if we're trying to project which team finishes with the better record, but I'm probably not as high on our "stars" as other fans are.

And most importantly, Denver has already proven it can win--18-7 down the stretch last year-- and be a top 5 team in its conference! Indiana has proven it can go 20-18 with the league's 5th easiest strength of schedule in the final 3 months. And this demonstrates that Indiana offers a better opportunity than Denver to win right now? I'm not on board with that. (I'm not someone who gets overly hyped by losing in 5 games versus Chicago... to me, the bigger moral victory in recent Eastern Conference Playoffs history came in 2010 when Milwaukee was without its best player in Andrew Bogut and still managed to scrape and claw its way to 3 wins--which is also why I don't understand how others on here can just completely discount Milwaukee this year with a healthy Bogut). I think Denver can make up for the loss of Chandler and J.R. Smith with some of these other guys like Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer and rookie Jordan Hamilton (reputation for bad attitude, but many feel he's better than your typical late 20's pick).

Not trying to be argumentative, but I just fail to see how this Pacers team relative to the balance of power out there screams out "opportunity to win" that is any more appealing or persuasive than the pitches of other teams such as Denver.

Their record last year doesn't matter at this point they lost half their team to China, Kmart was a HUGE part of what they did there, as were both wilson chandler and JR smith.

Ok so Nene> Hibbert (at this point)
Lawson> Collison
Afflalo> better than the rookie george by a bit, they are both really good defenders, but I wouldn't be surprised to see George pass him up before the seasons.

You were right to stop after that Granger > than anyone on their roster
West better than anyone on there roster

Gallo has some potential, but was really pretty bad last year, he'll bounce back i'm sure but he's not a giant difference maker yet

Hill too...

We're much better than the Nuggets will be this year, they aren't the same team as last year.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 12:36 AM
I wanted Nene too, for the same reason Peck did, because he can play PF and center.

I didn't want West at first, I thought he'd want to much money for to long of a contract.

I'm happy now, we didn't over pay, contract is short. If he doesn't work out it's not hurting our future. He could even be an expiring contract next season, if he really doesn't pan out.

Yeah we can sign a backup center for about 6 or 7 million with the difference between what we would have had to have paid Nene and what we got the better player for, if we wanted to.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 12:37 AM
We start to go much over 14 million and it's no longer worth it, he'd be way overpayed for anything more than 15 million.

You like to talk about age so much, but West is going to 32 when his contract ends here, yet you wanna pay a big almost twice as much, and whose game ACTUALLY relies on athleticism, to come over and play until he's 32? I guarantee you'd find something about Nene to complain about had we actually got him.

Anyways, it looks like perhaps he valued the extra year, and his wife is from Denver, she may not have wanted to leave. Don't act like it was all about us lowballing him, what about the Nets? they offered him stupid money, and he still went back to Denver, he clearly wants to be there, not somewhere else.

PS: David West is a better player than he is, West isn't even a great rebounder, but he's still better at grabbing boards than Nene which is embarrassing at Nene's size. He's a much better scorer, both in volume and at creating his own shot, Nene is also nothing more than an average defender, west is a better passer even. Really Nene isn't really better than David West at anything, except Dunking the ball, and one standout skill isn't worth 16 or 17 million dollars. Nene isn't worth that much. If he would have signed for the annual amount he's apparently OK taking from denver then that's one thing, but he turned down a damn near max deal from the nets apparently, so, that's that.

Yeah David West is such a better player than Nene that he had no other choice than sign with the Pacers for two years................... you win.

Oh I get it now, Larry Bird went to Denver with all the coaching staff to talk to the worst player first to later low ball the best one, I get it now, amazing estrategy by Bird, wow.......

daschysta
12-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah David West is such a better player than Nene that he had no other choice than sign with the Pacers for two years................... you win.

Fortunate for us indeed. There really isn't an argument that Nene is the better player between the two just straight up, and once you start talking about paying Nene the crazy superstar money he was interested in to leave denver for? It's not even a competition.

We say we want smashmouth or whatever, but Nene is an even worse rebounder than Tyler and D-West and Roy, and he'd cost about as all of them combined with their current contracts! Yay! that would have been awesome!

I understand the argument that he'd be a nice guy to have around if you're going to be able to sign him for reasonable money, but there really isn't any argument that D-West at 10 million isn't far better value than Nene at 16-17 million. You never pay that money for 14-7 guys, who aren't good defenders, are awful rebounders, doesn't create his own offense in the post... He's a good player, but he's a bit of a really really good garbage guy, minus the rebounds that those scrappy players usually get you. I'll take the better player for a fraction of the cost kthxbai.

A.B.Hollywood
12-14-2011, 12:56 AM

Oh I get it now, Larry Bird went to Denver with all the coaching staff to talk to the worst player first to later low ball the best one, I get it now, amazing estrategy by Bird, wow.......

Where do you keep getting this idea no one else wanted West? You're just hating for the sake of hating. Its tired now.

Like it or not DAVID WEST IS A PACER. And as a fan you should embrace this until you have a real and valid reason not to.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM

Nene was a nice fit, he does some stuff, for the right price. We absolutely shouldn't have gone very much higher than the 14 million we were offering. I can buy that at the right price Nene is a nice piece to get, he is big enough to play center, perhaps taking money, and everything out of the equation his size made him a better fit.

However that isn't how the world works, and yes, throughout their respective career West has been a much better player than Nene.

2x All-Star legit 2nd option offensive talent, outrebounds Nene despite being much smaller, shoots with amazing efficiency for a guy who takes so many jumpers, can create his own shot, he's been pretty much a 19- 8 or 9 player for the past six years.... So yes, I'd like to hear the argument for Nene being appreciably better D-West at a single thing other than Dunking, especially since you're apparently so terrified of when big men hit 30 like Nene is about to do, and applying your D-West logic to Nene he'll fall apart right? I mean It's IMPOSSIBLE FOR A 31 YEAR OLD TO AVERAGE 19-8 OMGZZZZZ

I'd get all the hoopla if he actually was a good compliment to Roy but nene really isn't. I used to like the idea of Nene, but he makes our rebounding even worse than it is now, he doesn't improve our defense, he's not really an enforcer in any way except as a dunker, and he was gonna be alot, alot more expensive.

What do you like about him so much for that price. Had the nets gone through and got him, or if we would have upped the ante we would have been paying a guy like a superstar, who you can't run the offense through, who you can't count on to anchor a defense, who you cannot rely on to grab a big board, who won't really compliment Hibbert since he has no jumpshot... I don't get the infatuation. Had he signed a deal with us for the annual salary he got from the Nugs I wouldn't have hated it, but I still feel D-west is the better player on the better deal, at least he has been his entire career up until this point, and he is coming off arguably his best season last year before the injury so...

Perhaps... wow.. I know this is hard to understand, but he was cool signing with the Pacers. I don't know what Larry's strat was precisely, but it worked. You're using a fallacy to make ad-hoc arguments. A player salary doesn't dictate how good they are, we were paying Murphy 14 million a year, look all around the league.

Perhaps West wanted to get back to playing basketball instead of waiting through all of the Drama with CP3 and Dwight to get things moving? Maybe he really sees something in our team and wants to be a part of it. You keep thowing out strawmen, but you haven't really made a single cogent argument supporting the notion that Nene is, or ever has been, better than West. Nene is a role player that nearly got paid like a franchise, West actually is a star, and is a much better deal.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Where do you keep getting this idea no one else wanted West? You're just hating for the sake of hating. Its tired now.

Like it or not DAVID WEST IS A PACER. And as a fan you should embrace this until you have a real and valid reason not to.

He was going to take the Celtics deal for three years and that didnt work and he had not choice but to sign with us for two, I'm not getting an idea I'm looking at what I have in front of me, if the guy is a better player than Nene why the F he decided to take our offer? Because we are nice? I don't think so.

By the way I'm not hating I'm just trying in some way to let some people get a reality check, it's just getting ridiculous here, yes be happy that we sign the guy but stop telling me things that you even know that are not true, I understand the guy is a Pacers and I have to support it but some of you guys are just making it hard for me to do that.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 01:20 AM
He was going to take the Celtics deal for three years and that didnt work and he had not choice but to sign with us for two, I'm not getting an idea I'm looking at what I have in front of me, if the guy is a better player than Nene why the F he decided to take our offer? Because we are nice? I don't think so.

So because he signed here its only because he had NO other options? Where you getting that information?

His agent said he passed up more money to come here. I am inclined to believe him over you.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 01:34 AM
So because he signed here its only because he had NO other options? Where you getting that information?

His agent said he passed up more money to come here. I am inclined to believe him over you.

The guy opted out of a contract that was going to pay him close to 8mil this year do you really think that if he had a choice of signing a longer contract for more money he would have chosen the Pacers? We were the best deal money wise after the Celtics and we have a position that was needed to be filled giving him exposure for his next contract, I'm not a hater for saying this is just reality.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 01:45 AM

By the way I'm not hating I'm just trying in some way to let some people get a reality check, it's just getting ridiculous here, yes be happy that we sign the guy but stop telling me things that you even know that are not true, I understand the guy is a Pacers and I have to support it but some of you guys are just making it hard for me to do that.

You're the negative nancy here man. Also if you are going to make a claim to don't build it on ad-hocs and strawmen. Salary has nothing to do with the talent, or production of a player, we should know that after living through Murphleavey. It's kind of telling that the only thing you keep repeating when trying to make Nene to be a better player is salary, which is entirely independent of everything that makes a player.

Scoring- West
Shot Creation- West
Rebounding- Somehow West
Shotblocking- Wash
Dunking- Nene
Salary Value- West
Shooting- West
Passing- West
Free throw Shooting- West
All Star Appearances- West
Offensive Efficiency- Nene (though he doesn't get nearly the usg% and West still manages to score at around or above a 50 percent clip)
Face up game off the dribble- West
Ball Handling- West
Alley-oops- Nene
Years in the league- Nene, the guy has just as much wear and tear as west does, and counts on his athletic ability alot more than David.

Nene is really exactly the opposite of what you want to play with Hibbert, at least West can Stretch the floor from mid-range, and give Roy space to work, Nene doesn't have that ability, Nene can't be a real 1A or 2nd option to Danny like D-West can, he simply isn't the kind of guy that you can give the ball to and ask to make something good happen. For all of his size he doesn't really have a post game after all these years, sure he's a brute on offense, but he's a dove when it comes to rebounding all the time and defending half the time. How does D-West manage to outrebound him despite the fact that he isn't hanging around the basket like Nene does? This guy isn't the gritty neo Davis Boy, for the money it would have taken to get him here he's way too one dimensional, wouldn't be our best player despite making millions more than Danny, and I just don't generally see the upside. I could be wrong, but i've watched both players quite a bit the eye test backs it up, the stats back it up, the accolades back it up, the clutch backs it up. David West is the better player, regardless of what they each are getting payed, I must have missed the memo when Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson were top two players, only behind Kobe (not that Nene is bad or anything, it's just the argument that you are using is silly.)

daschysta
12-14-2011, 01:48 AM
The guy opted out of a contract that was going to pay him close to 8mil this year do you really think that if he had a choice of signing a longer contract for more money he would have chosen the Pacers? We were the best deal money wise after the Celtics and we have a position that was needed to be filled giving him exposure for his next contract, I'm not a hater for saying this is just reality.

And it's irrelevant. Do you seriously evaluate and judge players this way? Because i'll be sure to keep your number, just in case you ever become a G.M. I've got some nice BIG contracts for you, don't ask who they are, look at stats or anything else look how BIG the contract is. Pleasure doing business with you, enjoy your lovely 08-09 Mike Dunleavey, only 12 million dollars!!!! Look at how much he got payyeeddd this guy must be where it's at!!!! :rolleyes:

Still waiting for a real argument that casts Nene as being a better basketball player than West, instead of getting paid, which apparently has something to do with anything....

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Ok I give up, you keep drinking the koolaid, I didn't even wanted to start this conversation to begging with, it's obvious that neither of us is going to move our reasoning lets stop right here I'm done and good night.

Team Indy
12-14-2011, 03:46 AM

Nene>Hibbert
Lawson>Collison

Without passing judgment on Denver's roster, from Nene's perspective, when comparing the teams, he would either include or exclude himself on both teams to see which team has the better roster.

NugzFan
12-14-2011, 04:54 AM

barely...just barely.

13.4 million a year. Looks like the 5th year was kicker. Hope he enjoys not making the playoffs this year. I would rather have West for 2 years than Nene for 4+ years.

he can still make the playoffs this year.

Or he just didn't want to leave Denver for Indianapolis.

definitely part of it.

NugzFan
12-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Their record last year doesn't matter at this point they lost half their team to China, Kmart was a HUGE part of what they did there, as were both wilson chandler and JR smith.

Ok so Nene> Hibbert (at this point)
Lawson> Collison
Afflalo> better than the rookie george by a bit, they are both really good defenders, but I wouldn't be surprised to see George pass him up before the seasons.

You were right to stop after that Granger > than anyone on their roster
West better than anyone on there roster

Gallo has some potential, but was really pretty bad last year, he'll bounce back i'm sure but he's not a giant difference maker yet

Hill too...

We're much better than the Nuggets will be this year, they aren't the same team as last year.

not the same as last year but we added a few players too. losing kmart and jr is bad but its also partly addition by subtraction.

pacers "much" better than the nuggets this year? hmmm...

Fortunate for us indeed. There really isn't an argument that Nene is the better player between the two just straight up, and once you start talking about paying Nene the crazy superstar money he was interested in to leave denver for? It's not even a competition.

We say we want smashmouth or whatever, but Nene is an even worse rebounder than Tyler and D-West and Roy, and he'd cost about as all of them combined with their current contracts! Yay! that would have been awesome!

I understand the argument that he'd be a nice guy to have around if you're going to be able to sign him for reasonable money, but there really isn't any argument that D-West at 10 million isn't far better value than Nene at 16-17 million. You never pay that money for 14-7 guys, who aren't good defenders, are awful rebounders, doesn't create his own offense in the post... He's a good player, but he's a bit of a really really good garbage guy, minus the rebounds that those scrappy players usually get you. I'll take the better player for a fraction of the cost kthxbai.

nene is only getting 13.5 mill. pretty good deal.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 05:37 AM
not the same as last year but we added a few players too. losing kmart and jr is bad but its also partly addition by subtraction.

pacers "much" better than the nuggets this year? hmmm...

nene is only getting 13.5 mill. pretty good deal.

I agree, it's a good deal for the Nuggets. But that's not what we would have had to pay to get him, we would have ended up paying much more. You've got him for the right price, good luck this year.

McKeyFan
12-14-2011, 06:23 AM
I understand the guy is a Pacers
Two for one, baby.

:happydanc

JB24
12-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I think the Nuggets will squeak into the playoffs if they re-sign Afflalo. If they add the three guys in China come March, they're going to be super deep.

Shade
12-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Guess it was about the money, after all.

Major Cold
12-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Who is going to score for the Nuggets? That team was built on scoring. Now they have Rudy and Brewer, one of which will score half as much as Wilson Chandler.

Danilo is the wild card, and Lawson too. But I do not think they have the depth and scoring to do what they did without Carmello.

Have they resigned Kenyon? Affalo? Right now this team is not a playoff team. GSW and the Clippers are better. The Suns might be too.

FrenchConnection
12-14-2011, 07:58 AM
You can't be mad at a dude for staying with his team. That's what I want players to do.

McKeyFan
12-14-2011, 08:09 AM
This reminds me of a girl I once dated who showed up to school one morning with a ring on her finger from her old boyfriend.

Larry Staverman
12-14-2011, 08:42 AM

When Denver offered $50 million extension + the year he opted out of at $12 million, for a total of 5years/$62 million, he was being disrespected.

I guess Nene's price of respect is $5 million!

Shade
12-14-2011, 09:24 AM
When Denver offered $50 million extension + the year he opted out of at $12 million, for a total of 5years/$62 million, he was being disrespected.

I guess Nene's price of respect is $5 million!

What a coincidence, so is mine. :D

cordobes
12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
So very pricey.

How much do you think Nene would do in as a 33 years old free-agent had he signed a 4 years contract? Considering his athleticism based game. $8 millions, being optimistic?

Another team would have needed to offer him circa $55 millions/4 years to make him pass on this contract. At least, I'm being optimistic about his future earning potential and players are generally risk averse.

cordobes
12-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Who is going to score for the Nuggets? That team was built on scoring. Now they have Rudy and Brewer, one of which will score half as much as Wilson Chandler.

Danilo is the wild card, and Lawson too. But I do not think they have the depth and scoring to do what they did without Carmello.

Have they resigned Kenyon? Affalo? Right now this team is not a playoff team. GSW and the Clippers are better. The Suns might be too.

They can only sign those three after they get rid of their contractual obligations with the Chinese clubs. But the Nuggets have no interest in signing JR Smith or Kenyon Martin, I think. They do want to keep Wilson Chandler though- I expect them to match pretty much any offer for Afflalo.

Not sure if they aren't still a playoff team:

Lawson / Miller
Afflalo / Fernandez
Gallinari / Brewer
Nene / Harrington
Mozgov / Andersen

If they can duplicate the same chemistry and intensity they displayed last season, they have enough talent to make the playoffs.

Pacerized
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
They can only sign those three after they get rid of their contractual obligations with the Chinese clubs. But the Nuggets have no interest in signing JR Smith or Kenyon Martin, I think. They do want to keep Wilson Chandler though- I expect them to match pretty much any offer for Afflalo.

Lawson / Miller
Afflalo / Fernandez
Gallinari / Brewer
Nene / Harrington
Mozgov / Andersen

If they can duplicate the same chemistry and intensity they displayed last season, they have enough talent to make the playoffs.

You're dead on with this.
They wouldn't give Smith the vet minimum and they've suffered long enough with the Martin mistake. Afflalo has a huge fan following and I think the team sees him as part of their long term future. It would take a huge offer for the nuggets not to match. 5 mil wouldn't get it done.

A.B.Hollywood
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Jesus. He's said this in interviews. Hell, right off the top of his presser he said "I had choices". Just because the only thing advertised all over the internet was the Boston signing doesn't mean it was his only option. He and his agent have said otherwise.

Like I said it's tired. There are legitimate reasons to worry about West and those I will not dispute but to act like he was in the "ahh shucks, I have no where to go! I guess this Indy team will work" all begrudgingly is comical.

NugzFan
12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I think the Nuggets will squeak into the playoffs if they re-sign Afflalo. If they add the three guys in China come March, they're going to be super deep.

no way kmart and jr ever play again in denver. chandler maybe.

isnt it always?

So very pricey.

How much do you think Nene would do in as a 33 years old free-agent had he signed a 4 years contract? Considering his athleticism based game. $8 millions, being optimistic?

Another team would have needed to offer him circa $55 millions/4 years to make him pass on this contract. At least, I'm being optimistic about his future earning potential and players are generally risk averse.

rumor is we front loaded the deal and he will be making about 11 mill in 2016. very reasonable as is 13.5 mill per for a guy like him. in the real world its insane. in the nba, i guess its normal.

yep - jr and kmart are done. chandler is RFA. he might stay.

Lawson / Miller
Afflalo / Fernandez
Gallinari / Brewer
Nene / Harrington
Mozgov / Andersen

we definitely could be. its not like we squeaked into the playoffs last year and we still have great depth.

xBulletproof
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
no way kmart and jr ever play again in denver. chandler maybe.

Can you do me a favor? Give these guys your impressions (and Nuggets fans in general) of JR Smith. Every time he's on the trade block or available as a free agent, there's always a group of guys here that say how great it would be to sign him.

As someone who watches 15-20 games of every team usually, it bothers me. I have to believe that most people who want him here so badly just see highlights. The guy has every skill in the world, and if you just see highlights you think that's what you're getting but he's just ..... stupid. Every time I watch I find myself wanting to throw something at my TV at least a couple times a game at him.

I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near the Pacers. How do Nuggets fans feel?

NugzFan
12-16-2011, 03:03 AM
Can you do me a favor? Give these guys your impressions (and Nuggets fans in general) of JR Smith. Every time he's on the trade block or available as a free agent, there's always a group of guys here that say how great it would be to sign him.

As someone who watches 15-20 games of every team usually, it bothers me. I have to believe that most people who want him here so badly just see highlights. The guy has every skill in the world, and if you just see highlights you think that's what you're getting but he's just ..... stupid. Every time I watch I find myself wanting to throw something at my TV at least a couple times a game at him.

I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near the Pacers. How do Nuggets fans feel?

jr: great, streaky shooter. suspect D. can win games for you single handedly and lose them as well. if hes 'on', you will win. if not, hes useless. better hope he gets along with the coach or its painful. i liked him, but we just have no room for him anymore.

CableKC
12-16-2011, 03:08 AM
jr: great, streaky shooter. suspect D. can win games for you single handedly and lose them as well. if hes 'on', you will win. if not, hes useless. better hope he gets along with the coach or its painful. i liked him, but we just have no room for him anymore.
That's a variable that I do not want to deal with. Pass....I could care less that he's a scorer...I don't want to deal with drama and hope that he'll be okay or not. Sounds like a headcase or at the very least...someone that you need to "handle with care".

I'd rather give the minutes to Lance, Inferno or BRush.

pacer4ever
12-16-2011, 03:38 AM

Whats word on Jordan Hamilton? He should be a good JR replacement how has he been in camp and what kind of minutes will Karl play him?