PDA

View Full Version : Clark Kellogg no longer color analyst for Pacers

pacer4ever
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Pacers Indiana Pacers
Clark Kellogg (@PacerCK) will no longer serve as analyst for #Pacers broadcasts, shifting his focus to role as VP of Player Relations.
7 minutes ago

Pacers Indiana Pacers
TV personalities: @ChrisDenari on PBP; @QuinnBuckner & @AustinCroshere rotating on color; @BrookeOlzendam on pre/postgame & sideline duties

This sucks Clark was by far the best broadcaster IMO

Ozwalt72
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Noooooooooooooo

Hopefully this means more Austin rather than Quinn. Thought Croshere did a decent job last year.

Phree Refill
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I am pretty bummed to hear this. I think Clark is one of the best in the business period. We were really lucky to of had him on the air for the time we did.

GP33
12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Lets steal reggie from TNT :D

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm happy he still works for the team in Player Relations.

I'll miss listening to him call road games.

I like our commentators. They know their stuff and aren't homers, but still root for the Pacers.

Many announcers are ridiculous homers and can't call the game without kissing their team's *** as if it means a higher paycheck.

Hicks
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
My guess is Austin will get all of Clark's games, so mostly road games.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Man, now both the color guys suck. Although Quinn usually has good content when he's not stumbling all over himself or laughing uncontrollably.

Not really feeling Croshere in this role, didn't like him on the radio either.

RichardHawes
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Really love his work and am happy about him still being involved with the team but I still want him calling the games...Always fun playing NBA 2K listening to him

Peck
12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Well this is a kick in the groin I wasn't expecting when I opened the page.

Kellogg IMO was simply the best color man in the business & I will miss more than words can say his commentary.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Lets steal reggie from TNT :D

There's a reason they didn't allow him to call our playoff games.

I love Reggie, but he'd be too much of a homer I think.

He's a smart basketball guy and is good with what he does at TNT.

BillS
12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Isn't his college game work going through the roof? That had to have an impact.

As far as Croshere goes, how about giving the guy some time to get settled into the work? I suspect Clark wasn't magically a great color man his first year or two.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Man, now both the color guys suck. Although Quinn usually has good content when he's not stumbling all over himself or laughing uncontrollably.

Oh man. When Quinn laughs, I start laughing.

I like Quinn though. He and Chris have nice chemistry, but I like Clark better.

Austin's not bad. A little dry, but calls the game like it should.

naptownmenace
12-13-2011, 06:22 PM

I'm really surprised by this. I liked Austin and definitely thought he was better than bumbling Quinn. I'm not big on guys who laugh at their own jokes... especially when they're laughing alone.

BillS
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I love Reggie, but he'd be too much of a homer I think.

Actually from what I've seen when he HAS worked Pacer activity he'd be the opposite - kind of bends over backwards to avoid any impression of being a homer, and it gets awkward.

DGPR
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm not a fan of either Quinn or Austin so this sucks double hard

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Actually from what I've seen when he HAS worked Pacer activity he'd be the opposite - kind of bends over backwards to avoid any impression of being a homer, and it gets awkward.

He's definitely happy working for TNT.

McKeyFan
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
This is an opinion board, right? Well, my opinion is that Quinn is intolerably bad. I always look for the other team's broadcast on LP if Clark is not our commentator.

Doddage
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Damn, this sucks. Clark was great, even on his off nights.

MTM
12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
When I hear the 90s re-broadcasts with Jerry Baker and Clark Kellogg I am so disappointed with the current group. As good as we have it with our radio continuity and one of the premier voices of basketball with Mark Boyle, it has been a huge disappointment with the folks they have run in and out of the TV broadcast booth.

Major Cold
12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Crap. Quinn was better last year than the previous.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
When I hear the 90s re-broadcasts with Jerry Baker and Clark Kellogg I am so disappointed with the current group. As good as we have it with our radio continuity and one of the premier voices of basketball with Mark Boyle, it has been a huge disappointment with the folks they have run in and out of the TV broadcast booth.

I still think Denari is good.

90'sNBARocked
12-13-2011, 06:53 PM
man, I always saw this as inevitable. I thought Clark was a little too "big time" for this role, I mena he has to make significantly more doing work for CBS etc.

I dont like listening to Quinn that much, Denari is only slightly more bearable

Thats why I like listening to the other teams coverage

Brad8888
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Squeeze the orange. Low hanging fruit of the tree of penetration.

:(

Timely, educational, evenhanded analysis of what is actually happening on the court.

:cry:

He will certainly be missed.

Naptown_Seth
12-13-2011, 07:26 PM
This is an opinion board, right? Well, my opinion is that Quinn is intolerably bad. I always look for the other team's broadcast on LP if Clark is not our commentator.
I hate to say it but I'm in this ballpark. Not to that level but still. There's a lack of quality content in terms of bball analysis.

Clark calls stuff and 2 minutes later that exact thing is happening, and you know why.

But I also like the idea of him focusing on his role with the team. Maybe that will progress into something, although I don't see how he'll ever go beyond what his NCAA work has going for him. To me that's his lifer job and will only continue to expand. It's gotta be huge money and he's great at it.

Day-V
12-13-2011, 07:26 PM
That's a bad call, partner.

Mackey_Rose
12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Kellogg was great. Quinn is beyond awful.

This sucks.

aceace
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Mark Boyle would be a great TV guy.... just a thought.

Day-V
12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't mind Quinn at all. Denari's a beast.

Pacergeek
12-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Clark will be back. He will feel the itch again to do Pacer games. He probably is burned out at the moment.

threein73
12-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I hate this, Clarke it great and although I love Quinn as an IU/Pacer guy.. Clarke is so much better to listen to... Chris is great also, but will miss Clarke big time on broadcasts...

presto123
12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
"Squeeze the orange big fella".....going to miss Kellogg. He is still going to be doing NCAA?

glazedham42
12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I will miss Clark. From now on I will be turning the volume down on the TV and listening to Boyle for every game. I don't care if there is a lag. No one does the big game winning calls better than Boyle anyway....

Deadshot
12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Kellogg was great. Quinn is beyond awful.

This sucks.

Agreed. The only time I really enjoyed him was the garbled Mun-Dunleavy call, which, mind you, was a mistake.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rajRfx-kSag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stryder
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
What does VP of Player Relations actually do?

Hicks
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Babysit.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
What does VP of Player Relations actually do?

He helps the players mentally basically.

He's someone for players to talk to.

At least, that's what it appears to be.

Stryder
12-13-2011, 09:54 PM
He helps the players mentally basically.

He's someone for players to talk to.

At least, that's what it appears to be.

He can't do that informally? It has to be an official position? Just seems like it some sort of millenial generation crap...

Anthem
12-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Am I the only one who thought it said "colored?"

I was... surprised.

Brohan Cruyff
12-13-2011, 11:22 PM
I guess this means I need to figure out if I still own a radio.

travmil
12-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Bah. No more fruit from the tree of penetration for us...

pathil275
12-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Too bad, I really liked him as an analyst.

By the way, every time I see Chris Denari I have to think of Michael Scott from The Office. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

trs72
12-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Really love his work and am happy about him still being involved with the team but I still want him calling the games...Always fun playing NBA 2K listening to him

I am a big fan of Kellogg as IRL broadcasting and NBA2k,lol. I know a lot of people dont care for him but I have always enjoyed him as he knows his basketball. He was also a very good player in his day and its to bad a injury cut his career short.

mboyle1313
12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
All,

Though I appreciate the kind words directed my way, I would respectfully request that nobody mention my name in connection with TV ever again.

As in never.

I got into broadcasting to do play-by-play, which means radio. I've done television and hated it. Too many people involved, no real play-by-play opportunity, and too much superfluous nonsense. I would rather get involved with one of the Kardashians than do television again.

Thank you. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

MJB

RWB
12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't mind Quinn at all. Denari's a beast.

Yeah Quinn can be a homer but he is knows the game and IMHO is pretty decent.

MTM
12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
All,

Though I appreciate the kind words directed my way, I would respectfully request that nobody mention my name in connection with TV ever again.

As in never.

I got into broadcasting to do play-by-play, which means radio. I've done television and hated it. Too many people involved, no real play-by-play opportunity, and too much superfluous nonsense. I would rather get involved with one of the Kardashians than do television again.

MJB

Well this just means that the TV volume gets turned down and the radio gets turned up louder.

Mackey_Rose
12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Well this just means that the TV volume gets turned down and the radio gets turned up louder.

I believe they make a device that is supposed to help you sync the TV with the radio audio, but without it, the delay is infuriating.

bambam
12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
All,

As in never.

MJB

So your saying telling me theres a chance?

http://youtu.be/yCFB2akLh4s

</EMBED></EMBED>

Ownagedood
12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
I believe they make a device that is supposed to help you sync the TV with the radio audio, but without it, the delay is infuriating.

If you have a DVR then you could do your best to back it up a few seconds and watch it a few seconds later than its happening... May take a couple tries to match it with the radio but it should work.

Rogco
12-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm going to miss Clark. He came up with some great, and very random, lines. Still, I'm just glad at least there will be commentary soon.

fwpacerfan
12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Clark was awesome - he'll be missed. I don't mind Denari and Buckner but I would love to have the radio team on TV, as impossible as it is. I don't watch many games live - all on DVR so I can't turn the TV down and listen to the radio, but having Boyle do the games would be awesome.

RWB
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
but having Boyle do the games would be awesome.

I would have to agree with Mark on sticking with radio where his talent really shines. Denari is doing a fantastic job and fits perfectly for television. You can tell MJB is an introvert and doesn't want the glitzy aspect. Rather the less people involved the more Mark can do his craft. He doesn't need a bunch of people in his ear to do a good job.

pacergod2
12-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm ecstatic that Clark is moving into a larger role within the organization. This is a great move by the organization to hopefully continue increasing his positive influence over this franchise.