PDA

View Full Version : Crawford Receives Two-Year, $10M Offer From Pacers

Jose Slaughter
12-13-2011, 03:16 PM
http://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217470/Crawford_Receives_Two_Year_$10M_Offer_From_Pacers

Jamal Crawford has a two-year, $10 million offer on the table from the Pacers.

The deal includes an out after the upcoming season.

The Wolves are also very interested in signing Crawford, while the Knicks, Blazers and Kings remain in the picture.

The Knicks are only offer a $5 million for two seasons.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217470/Crawford_Receives_Two_Year_$10M_Offer_From_Pacers# ixzz1gRX6nNlT

oz_pacer
12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Beat me to it hmmm interesting

Slick Pinkham
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
pretty good value for us if he takes it, IMO

Hopefully we are not outbid

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Man I thought it was a done deal :o

Heisenberg
12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Wording's kinda funky. Is that 5 or 10 a year?

Ownagedood
12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I preferred mayo but since hes off the table, this is a good deal.

FrenchConnection
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Wording's kinda funky. Is that 5 or 10 a year?
I think that the reason its worded that way is because no one knows yet. Stein's tweet was ambiguous on that.

rock747
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
I really think Crawford is just trying to dip out on training camp.

Doddage
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
That would be a steal if we could get him for that price.

Jose Slaughter
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
The way he mentions the Knicks only offering 5 million for 2 seasons I take it that the Pacers are offering 10 for two season.

I really don't think he's going to get a better offer than that.

Slick Pinkham
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I read it as 5M per year, which is very reasonable. 10M per year would be excessive

Shade
12-13-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it's $5M per year.

Like West, you gotta take him if you can get him for that price.

RLeWorm
12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
@MikeWellsNBA
Mike Wells
"It looks like it's a Kahn vs Bird/Morway battle for Crawford."
screw you Kahn u suck at being a GM.

CableKC
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
That would be a steal if we could get him for that price.
I thought that it was a given that at $8 to 9 mil a year would be good....but I guess if we are looking at 2 years....the price has gone up a little. :shrug:

But this falls into what I was thinking...a 2 year deal to match West's deal...which begs the question......our window to field the deepest Team that we can put together to compete is 2 years.

Unclebuck
@MikeWellsNBA
Mike Wells

I like our chances. Although Crawford would probably get more PT in Minny

Anthem
Sounds like 5m/yr for 2 years.

RichardHawes
12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Where would the 5 million leave us Salary wise?

ilive4sports
12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I like our chances. Although Crawford would probably get more PT in Minny

True, but Minny... well it would be like signing with Indy three years ago.

Ownagedood
12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I thought that it was a given that at $8 to 9 mil a year would be good....but I guess if we are looking at 2 years....the price has gone up a little. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure this deal is actually 5 Mil a year.. The 10 being total if he played both years

Trader Joe
12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
You'd think terms leaking would be a sign that maybe a decision is close at hand.

Heisenberg
12-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I know Minnesota basically has no real 2 guard, but them going for a 32 year old Crawford doesn't make a lot of sense.

naptownmenace
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Other Twitter reports yesterday were saying that the Knicks could only offer 2.5 million per year. Add that info with this and it means that the Knicks are offering a 2-year deal of 2.5 per year.

So it looks like the Pacers are offering 5 million per year for 2 years. Seems like the Pacers are low-balling him, IMO. The Blazers, Nets, Raptors or pretty much any team could offer him that much. That's MLE money.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm fine with getting Crawford. I wanted him all along, but preferred Mayo. So it looks like that deal is over and Crawford is a nice backup plan.

RichardHawes
12-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Source: @JCrossover wants to make up his mind today. #Twolves, who he thoroughly likes, have yet to make a formal offer. Other teams

CableKC
12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
@MikeWellsNBA
Mike Wells
Geez...let me see.....which Team would you prefer to go to? A Team that likely isn't going to compete for a Playoff spot in the next year or two...or a Team that will be competing for a 5 to 7 spot in the East?

RWB
12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
So it looks like the Pacers are offering 5 million per year for 2 years. Seems like the Pacers are low-balling him, IMO. The Blazers, Nets, Raptors or pretty much any team could offer him that much. That's MLE money.

Sure, but you got to leave yourself some room to go up if needed.

Psyren
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7349136/2011-free-agency-indiana-pacers-seek-jamal-crawford-atlanta-hawks-sources-say

Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Indiana Pacers have extended a two-year offer worth $10 million to Atlanta Hawks free agent Jamal Crawford that would enable Crawford to return to free agency next summer, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

The Pacers have been chasing Crawford and Memphis Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo, determined to land a guard that can attack and create his own shot before the season starts Christmas Day.

The offer to Crawford, which would pay him $5 million annually, includes an opt-out after the first year to allow Crawford to join the free agent class of 2012 if he chooses.

But Indiana's latest attempt to complete a trade with the Grizzlies for Mayo, after a deal struck between the teams last February collapsed on deadline day, has been scuttled again.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal reported earlier Tuesday that the Grizzlies have informed Mayo that he's not going anywhere and that Pacers free agent Josh McRoberts is likely to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, now that he won't be traded to Memphis for Mayo.

The Pacers, though, are still facing heavy competition for Crawford.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, sources said, remain interested in signing Crawford to play shooting guard next to Spanish rookie Ricky Rubio, with Jose Juan Barea already signed away from Dallas to play both spots. The Wolves could get into the bidding for Crawford if they choose to release a veteran through amnesty -- the candidates include Luke Ridnour, Brad Miller or Martell Webster -- to create the needed salary-cap space.

The New York Knicks, meanwhile, continue to recruit Crawford hard, despite the fact that they can't offer a starting salary above $2.5 million unless they can concoct a sign-and-trade deal involving at least three teams. The Hawks are unwilling to participate in sign-and-trades that would raise Crawford's salary without a third team because of luxury-tax concerns.

Portland and Sacramento, sources said, also remain in the hunt for Crawford, who ranks on most teams' lists as the most prolific backcourt scorer in the 2011 free agent class.

Heisenberg
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Sota waives Brad Miller I want him back.

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Geez...let me see.....which Team would you prefer to go to? A Team that likely isn't going to compete for a Playoff spot in the next year or two...or a Team that will be competing for a 5 to 7 spot in the East?

Is going to be whoever pays the most I think.

FrenchConnection
12-13-2011, 04:02 PM
If they amnesty Brad and we don't sign him, this board will explode. But I would want him too.

docpaul
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
If they amnesty Brad and we don't sign him, this board will explode. But I would want him too.

Isn't he out for a good month+ with a knee injury?

RWB
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM

4 years ago and short term maybe, but what's Brad now 36 or 37? Thanks but no thanks and let's keep moving forward.

RichardHawes
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Are you saying if they do or that you heard they did? If they did they are making room for Crawford

Doddage
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Are you saying if they do or that you heard they did? If they did they are making room for Crawford
If they do.

billbradley
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
You think anyone on Chicago's squad is thinking to themselves "Man, those Pacers were tough, and they've added a lot of quality guys."

Brohan Cruyff
12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
It sounds to me like the FO is basically telling people "Here's our offer. We want you, but can live without you. Take it or leave it."

That's a pretty good position to be in, and a good way of doing business in my mind.

Kegboy
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
You think anyone on Chicago's squad is thinking to themselves "Man, those Pacers were tough, and they've added a lot of quality guys."

I think they're thinking "At least we shouldn't have to play them in the first round this year."

Pacer Fan
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I think Jamal is wanting the Wolves to lay an offer down just so he can get a counter offer from us. Why in the heck would he want to go to the wolves. Wait, I know, So he don't have to play DEFENSE!

Ace E.Anderson
12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I think they're thinking "At least we shouldn't have to play them in the first round this year."

I doubt the Bulls are thinking about anything the pacers are doing right now.

Sollozzo
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

The thought of Paul George and George Hill harassing DRose on defense makes me giddy. West's scoring would have been big in that series too.

I'm CRAVING another shot at that team in the playoffs. I think we could beat them. They do not scare me.

2minutes twoa
12-13-2011, 04:37 PM

My thoughts exactly! That first Pacers - Bulls match up is going to be one hell of a game, though!!

CableKC
12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I know Minnesota basically has no real 2 guard, but them going for a 32 year old Crawford doesn't make a lot of sense.
Let's see.....they have Rubio, Ridnour and just adde JJ Barea...now they want to add JCraw to play some Guard minutes?

Yeah....Kahn and "making a lot of sense" usually don't go together.

billbradley
12-13-2011, 04:40 PM

My thoughts exactly! That first Pacers - Bulls match up is going to be one hell of a game, though!!

Actually, watching that NBATV show with Reggie, Shaq, Charles, Kenny Smith, Steve Smith and Kerr, they were talking about how you look at the schedule early and talk about wins and matchups and who is on your back to back or who you can't wait to play.

Not to mention we play the Bulls Friday...

Kid Minneapolis
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I guess I don't mind the Crawford deal from the perspective of bringing him in as a sparkplug off the bench, a role he's often played in his career... and he's also someone that can make things happen deep in the clock, even if he's a lil over-rated there.

maragin
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I am not excited about Jamal Crawford in a Pacers uniform. Not really a fan of his game or what he brings to the team. Of course, if he does sign with us I'll hope to be convinced through stellar play. Money-wise, this deal seems fine.

granger4mvp
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
So is he making a choice today?

PacerPenguins
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
So is he making a choice today?

it's likely :)

granger4mvp
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
it's likely :)

Well hurry up I hate waiting

Hicks
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I hope so. I think we have a decent shot because a quote I saw from the Minn media not too long ago was a quote from Kahn that made it sound like he wasn't too high on adding another piece right now to his guard rotation. I'm not sure they're going to push hard for him.

My guess is he's deciding if he wants to go back to New York for 2.5m or come here for 5m. He may also have a bigger role in NY as well. So I can see why it's a tough choice for him (keep in mind he's already made a lot of money in this league).

trey
12-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Our bench is going to be awesome if we can get him signed. Hill, Crawford, Jones, Hansbrough, Foster off the bench? Yes please. That bench would definitely be able to beat nearly any other bench in the league. Catch us back up, or put the lead out of reach. I'll be really pumped if we can sign him.

CableKC
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Our bench is going to be awesome if we can get him signed. Hill, Crawford, Jones, Hansbrough, Foster off the bench? Yes please. That bench would definitely be able to beat nearly any other bench in the league. Catch us back up, or put the lead out of reach. I'll be really pumped if we can sign him.
I think that htis is how Bird thinks that we can beat a Super Team....create the deepest Team that you can and throw it at the opposing team to see what happens.

naptownmenace
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Wrong!!! Their first Preseason game opponent is none other than the Indiana Pacers this Friday. I'm sure they're thinking about them at least from that aspect. :p

Ratking
12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I dont like the idea of a bidding war with Kahn. That tool will sign Crawford to the max after he learns about Jamal via youtube highlight reels.

naptownmenace
12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
I think that htis is how Bird thinks that we can beat a Super Team....create the deepest Team that you can and throw it at the opposing team to see what happens.

That's one way the Dallas Mavs Beat the Lakers and won the Championship last year. They were 2-3 deep at each position last year.

daschysta
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm for getting as many talented assets as we possibly can, especially on short deal. Deep teams aren't just deep, but are also the teams that have lots of affordable, moveable pieces that can pick and choose what trades to facilitate in return for benefit, they are also the teams that can choose to consolidate assets for another star player.

I'm not for moving Danny at this point whatsoever, all i'm saying is that one of our main pieces attaches to a few of our valuable role playing pieces may be the kind of deal a team is looking for if they have to lose their star, just hypothetical though, i'm kindof in love with the Lineup just the way it is. Id've been estatic with mayo (I think he blows up into a 20+ scorer the moment he gets into a new situation, but at this price? Crawford is a no brainer if he'll accept, hopefully be tomorrow so we can build some chemistry before our preseason game on Friday. Only downside is the minutes thing. Craw will want at least 25, I guess PG could start at the two and back up the three to the tune of 30-32 minutes, but then the logjam at point, collison should be a 30 mpg guy this year, is Hill only going to play 18 minutes with all the minutes taken up by Paul and Crawford? And then what of Stephenson, price is pretty much odd man out, along with Jones...

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Alright, I've gotten back on the "Sign Jamal Crawford" bandwagon.

He'll be HUGE for us.

Steagles
12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Alright, I've gotten back on the "Sign Jamal Crawford" bandwagon.

He'll be HUGE for us.

He's the shot we missed in April.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Ramitt
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
When you are unable to land superstars it may be the best way to cmpete.

graphic-er
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
The option year obviously means that Bird believes George and Hill are gonna have break out seasons, and we won't need Jcraw next season.

jeffg-body
12-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Now that Mayo is off of the table I am hoping we land Crawford.

RichardHawes
12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Where does this leave us financially if he is signed?

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
He'd fit in well with us.

He's had some nice fits. The best team being the Hawks who I think are similar enough to us that he'll fit like a glove.

He was definitely the leader/star player on the Knicks for their bad years. Doesn't say much, but it wasn't by default because that was a bad team. He was still putting up 17, 18, 19, even 20 points a game with them.

When he was with the Warriors he didn't seem to fit in well. He still did well, but the Warriors just weren't a good fit.

PacerPenguins
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Where does this leave us financially if he is signed?

i believe we still have 18 mil cap $ left so we are more than fine.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
i believe we still have 18 mil cap $ left so we are more than fine.

Yeah.

We're still in a great position and have this money saved for next season and re-signing guys.

Gamble1
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM
The option year obviously means that Bird believes George and Hill are gonna have break out seasons, and we won't need Jcraw next season.

True but the big advantage to a 2 year deal is that he won't want to opt out of that last year if he can be traded to a contender. All the contenders can do is offer him 2.5 mill so the pacers could get a late first in trading him next year.

Its a good deal if ask me.

PR07
12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Everyone tweet at JCrossover, let's see if we can get him to make a decision.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm liking these short deals. We are adding talent and maintaining flexibility at the same time.

Kudos to the front office, really shrewd thinking going on up there.

Kemo
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Everyone tweet at JCrossover, let's see if we can get him to make a decision.

I did over the weekend..

mohawk al
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Any idea what the Timberwolves are offering? Do we think they'd be willing to pay more that $5 million/year?

RichardHawes
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Honestly I really do not think he's that interested or this decision would already have been made...I have a feeling they have been sending him feelers for awhile now

A.B.Hollywood
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
That's one way the Dallas Mavs Beat the Lakers and won the Championship last year. They were 2-3 deep at each position last year.

That AND they had a superstar. A complete game changer that could drop 40 any night and did so in an unrivaled fashion.

Until we have that we don't have a real chance at a title IMO. But we are closer with each move of course.

I think of it more like the Pistons of a few years back and it makes a lot of sense. That really would be the best chance we have is to build some complimentary parts that would work and fit as perfectly as they did. But I also think that's more of a thing of the past.

I hope I'm wrong, but I still lean towards the idea that you won't see a Championship banner hung in the arena of any team that doesn't have a top 10 overall NBA player on their roster.

blanket
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1gSM27ETl

Chris Broussard: Jamal Crawford weighing offers from NYK, Portland, Indiana, Sac and Minnesota, sources say 3 minutes ago

Marc Berman: Told report Jamal Crawford got a two-year offer for 10 mill from Indy is overstated. 3 minutes ago

BillS
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Actually I think it is sweetener from Crawford's perspective - he knows if he has a good season he can opt out and go for a higher payday, so he's much more likely to sign the 2-year deal with us than with someone who will hold him for the full 2 years for the same money.

Nice way to use a non-monetary incentive.

granger4mvp
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Thought reports were saying he would choose today or is that not true

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
That AND they had a superstar. A complete game changer that could drop 40 any night and did so in an unrivaled fashion.

Until we have that we don't have a real chance at a title IMO. But we are closer with each move of course.

I think of it more like the Pistons of a few years back and it makes a lot of sense. That really would be the best chance we have is to build some complimentary parts that would work and fit as perfectly as they did. But I also think that's more of a thing of the past.

I hope I'm wrong, but I still lean towards the idea that you won't see a Championship banner hung in the arena of any team that doesn't have a top 10 overall NBA player on their roster.

Yet you mention the Pistons, they didn't have a guy like that. The 90s Pacers were pretty much the same way. They came close.

Sometimes timing is everything.

PG-24
12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Jamal Crawford has turned down the Pacers 2 yr, $10 million down offer, according to a source
sucks

Hypnotiq
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
meh

call it and off season now and lets go

BringJackBack
12-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Welp, now it's time to get ready for the season.. Can't wait for the preseason game Friday!

PacerPenguins
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
hopefully george steps up

MaHa3000
Twitter.com
Wells is saying Crawford turned us down. He knows our cap situation, he wants more of it.

RichardHawes
Figured as much...Its gonna be a fun season but we definitely need something...I just dont know what it is...We'll see by mid way

Hicks
12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh well....

pacer4ever
12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
YES!!! I wanted no part of Crawford on the team especially on a 1+1 deal where he would likely just chuck up shots and try to get paid. He is a good player but I just dont like his style and it is a poor fit IMO for us. We need guys who are selfless not selfish. I dont think Jamal has pass in his vocabulary also defense isn't in there either.

wintermute
12-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Does that mean he's taking someone else's offer, or that he is asking for more money?

TheDon
12-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I'll just be glad to have the season start. Free agency just isn't what its cracked up to be.

PG-24
12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
More time for Lance. Not a deal breaker, a legit scorer would have been nice but Stephenson should be able to fill that roll shortly

Lance George
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Stuckey. Get it done.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I'd be willing to give him a little more given the 2 year deal, but its not the end of the world. We have plenty of Paul George and George Hill to man the 2 spot. With Lance Stephenson sprinkles on top.

2minutes twoa
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Twitter.com
Wells is saying Crawford turned us down. He knows our cap situation, he wants more of it.

Oh well. More PT for our young guns!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.061549,-85.533817

righteouscool
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Not really that bummed by this. There are so many wings on the team and I think a rotation of Lance, Hill, and George is good enough.

90'sNBARocked
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Stuckey. Get it done.

sorry bro but

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

yuck

pacer4ever
Stuckey. Get it done.

:hmm:

no thank you pass! thats worse than getting Jamal Crawford Stuckey has a ****** attitude and isnt as good as he thinks he is.

TheDon
I'd rather make a run at Dalembert only person I've heard have any interests in him was Dallas I'd throw my hat in the ring.

vnzla81
Stuckey. Get it done.

NO!

Doddage
I hope we don't raise the offer. I didn't really want Crawford in the first place but at 2/10 I wouldn't have minded him.

PG-24
Stuckey. Get it done.

dude wants to be a starter and is asking 8-10 million on a long term deal. why on earth would be be an option.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 06:46 PM
My heart broke twice today.

I need to stop getting hyped until they actually are official.

Gamble1
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
It ain't over yet guys. We could give him a slightly better offer.

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I guess we all agree in Stuckey then :laugh:

pacer4ever
12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd rather make a run at Dalembert only person I've heard have any interests in him was Dallas I'd throw my hat in the ring.

pass he will end up with the Rockets he wants a lot of money.

bballpacen
Glad...

blanket
no big deal. we are still well under the cap, so we'll make good trade partners during the season (like how denver is set to get rudy fernandez for next to nothing).

anyone know if we are at/over the payroll minimum currently?

MTM
12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Glad about Crawford - don't see him as the complete ballplayer... he reminds me of Jalen Rose... lots of shot attempts for the scoring he gives you, but he is willing to take (and sometimes make) the big shot.

Still would be interested in the FO pursuing Mayo if he is available at a discount. Not sure what we could offer now other than picks and the opportunity to reduce payroll.

crunk-juice
12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
"turned down"?

what happened to negotiation? is that really the highest we were willing to offer?

A.B.Hollywood
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Yet you mention the Pistons, they didn't have a guy like that. The 90s Pacers were pretty much the same way. They came close.

Sometimes timing is everything.

Yeah, thats my whole point. The Pistons are the last of that era, I'm implying we are a bit behind the times if that's what we are shooting for.

The true contenders have 1 at *MINIMUM* superstars on their team. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that we can truly play a team game that could wear someone down and play the defense needed to make a move like that but it sure doesn't appear as so.

90'sNBARocked
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah, thats my whole point. The Pistons are the last of that era, I'm implying we are a bit behind the times if that's what we are shooting for.

The true contenders have 1 at *MINIMUM* superstars on their team. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that we can truly play a team game that could wear someone down and play the defense needed to make a move like that but it sure doesn't appear as so.

In the regular season.. YES I think we can hang

Playoffs though rotations get shortened and its usually the starters and 1-3 plpayers seeing little time off the bench

Ramitt
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM

Unfortunatly wanting a top 10 player and getting one are two different things. Until the team has the chance they could do worse than building depth.

PG-24
12-13-2011, 06:58 PM
"turned down"?

what happened to negotiation? is that really the highest we were willing to offer?

Theres more to a negotiation than whats reported.

Hicks
12-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, either we offer a little more or we move on with pursuing a trade.

Banta
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Pacers offer was low IMHO. Of course, compared to what the NYK can offer, ours looks great. If his camp turned it down flat rather than negotiating, my guess is he's headed to NYK trying to win a ring with Amare/Carmelo/Chandler.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 07:02 PM
If Bird likes him, we need to up the offer.

No one else sounds like they're even doing anything to pursue him.

2 years/10M sounded like a "we'll give it a shot" scenario because no one else was doing anything.

It's unfortunate we couldn't get something done to bring in either Mayo or Crawford. I hope Bird gives it a last shot or just calls it an end and we go into the season with what we have.

We're still a good team, but not where we could be if we were land one of those guys.

notque
12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Is Afflalo around 2 year $10M? I'd be just as happy, if not happier with him.

90'sNBARocked
12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Andrew Perna:I'm wondering if the Pacers could have gotten Crawford for, say, two years, $13 million and the same out after this season

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1gSYIErQj

PG-24
12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Is Afflalo around 2 year $10M? I'd be just as happy, if not happier with him.

hell make alot more than that. wont even be close

notque
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
hell make alot more than that. wont even be close

Really? How many teams have the cap left to make a bid for him higher than that?

daschysta
12-14-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm honestly cool going into the season the way we are now.

George sees himself as a shooting guard anyhow, let him back up that spot and spend alot of minutes there while George is on the bench or backing up Danny. If we got Crawford when was lance ever going to play? I would have been too crowded.

pizza guy
12-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Meh.... I can live with the roster we've got right now. Hopefully, and I would really LOVE to see it, Paul George can make a sophomore jump instead of slump, and we'll be set at SG. Adding DWest is going to make life easier for everyone too, so let's see how P. George and George H. do for now.

If Paul George really breaks out this year, I'd strongly consider making a play for Eric Gordon and moving PG24 to SF. I love Danny, and it would take some serious play from George, but I think EJ in a Pacers uni is a match made in heaven.

Isaac
12-14-2011, 02:01 AM
If Paul George really breaks out this year, I'd strongly consider making a play for Eric Gordon and moving PG24 to SF. I love Danny, and it would take some serious play from George, but I think EJ in a Pacers uni is a match made in heaven.

Hmmmm! Novel concept!

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Meh.... I can live with the roster we've got right now.

I Can't...we are a Quality backup Big (Center) away from dominating 48 minutes of the whole Eaastern Conference.

Heisenberg
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM
I Can't...we are a Quality backup Big (Center) away from dominating 48 minutes of the whole Eaastern Conference.
Name him. You don't go from under .500 to Conference Finals in one offseason. Some of you guys would've been lighting paper bags on fire on Donnie's doorstep.

pacerfan4life031
12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Don't mean to rehash this, as it seems unlikely that Crawford has any shot of landing here, but I would imagine out of POR and SAC (2yr/$10mil), and NYK (1yr/$2.5mil), Portland would seemingly be his preference based on a combination of proximity to his offseason home, money and the playing time situation.

Based on tweets I'm seeing from John Hollinger, it seems as though Portland isn't in a posiiton to make that offer to Crawford, and has become involved in a 3-way trade with NJ/POR/ORL involving Gerald Wallace and Brook Lopez going to ORL, which would clear room for them to sign Crawford? I don't see ORL biting on this deal at all...

johnhollinger John Hollinger
Dot-connecting: For those wondering how Portland can offer Crawford 2yrs, $10 mil, I believe that Wallace-to-ORL scenario is how.

Any chance you think Bird see's talks with Crawford and POR stall, so he ups his offer a bit to Crawford?

pacergod2
12-14-2011, 11:11 AM
We understand that the teams we are trying to outbid don't have much financial capability right now. The one team that does is Minnesota and we feel good about him prefering to be here.

We intended to significantly beat the NY offer and that was it with 2/10, which we did. Until he gets a better offer, which it sounds like his agent is saying he did, but I doubt it is an offer he is satisfied with. He will bring a better offer back to us and we will then make the decision to either say yes or no. I bet we say no and let himi make the decision between Minny's 3/17 offer and our 2/10 with an opt out clause, which he would likely invoke unless he gets injured.

I prefer we use the roster spot on a backup Center.

Since86
12-14-2011, 11:19 AM
If we got Crawford when was lance ever going to play? I would have been too crowded.

That's exactly where I am. This shortened season should be used the the Pacers, and if they find out that they have a keeper in Lance, then it only makes next summer that much better/easier.

I'm not saying Lance will be a good player, but just that the Pacers need to find out exactly what they have.

If you find out he has the ability to play in this league, then you either found a very nice young piece or you found a nice asset to move in the hopes of landing a bigger fish.

But these are good problems to have.

Mackey_Rose
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm not a fan of Lance, but if Bird is as much of a believer in him as he says publicly, the kid has to play.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
12-14-2011, 11:37 AM
George sees himself as a shooting guard anyhow, let him back up that spot and spend alot of minutes there while George is on the bench or backing up Danny. If we got Crawford when was lance ever going to play? I would have been too crowded.

:confused:

Randomly switching between using last names and first names when discussing George Hill and Paul George is not a good way to get your point across.

Freddie fan
12-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, it's interesting and a little hard to understand how in June Larry Bird calls Lance the Pacers' best player, yet it doesn't seem clear whether Lance is expected to be in the team's rotation in any significant way. I'd like to see a reporter ask for an update and clarification on plans for Lance and his role on this year's team. Even though he's only 21, I'd think if he has the potential to develop into the team's best player - or something close to it - that he's be getting regular playing time this season. And if he doesn't have that kind of potential, why did Larry say that?

Kid Minneapolis
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I find it pretty dumb that Indy offers him 2 years/$10 mill, and he outright declines, and is "seriously entertaining" the *exact* same offer from the Blazers, a team that doesn't seem to have near as much funds available. The Pacers could even likely up their offer.

That just seemed like a big, weird, unnecessary FU from Crawford on our offer.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I find it pretty dumb that Indy offers him 2 years/$10 mill, and he outright declines, and is "seriously entertaining" the *exact* same offer from the Blazers, a team that doesn't seem to have near as much funds available. The Pacers could even likely up their offer.

That just seemed like a big, weird, unnecessary FU from Crawford on our offer.

He lives in that area. It's home.

Gamble1
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't mean to rehash this, as it seems unlikely that Crawford has any shot of landing here, but I would imagine out of POR and SAC (2yr/$10mil), and NYK (1yr/$2.5mil), Portland would seemingly be his preference based on a combination of proximity to his offseason home, money and the playing time situation.

Based on tweets I'm seeing from John Hollinger, it seems as though Portland isn't in a posiiton to make that offer to Crawford, and has become involved in a 3-way trade with NJ/POR/ORL involving Gerald Wallace and Brook Lopez going to ORL, which would clear room for them to sign Crawford? I don't see ORL biting on this deal at all...

johnhollinger John Hollinger
Dot-connecting: For those wondering how Portland can offer Crawford 2yrs, $10 mil, I believe that Wallace-to-ORL scenario is how.

Any chance you think Bird see's talks with Crawford and POR stall, so he ups his offer a bit to Crawford?
Screw Crawford give me Wallace for 2 years.

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it's interesting and a little hard to understand how in June Larry Bird calls Lance the Pacers' best player, yet it doesn't seem clear whether Lance is expected to be in the team's rotation in any significant way. I'd like to see a reporter ask for an update and clarification on plans for Lance and his role on this year's team. Even though he's only 21, I'd think if he has the potential to develop into the team's best player - or something close to it - that he's be getting regular playing time this season. And if he doesn't have that kind of potential, why did Larry say that?

And Travis is the best shooter in the league Too. Lol

Mackey_Rose
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
He lives in that area. It's home.

Yep. Crawford is from Seattle. Just a quick 3 hour trip up I-5 from Portland.

Shade
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Yep. Crawford is from Seattle. Just a quick 3 hour trip up I-5 from Portland.

He would also have a bigger role in Portland, helping to replace Roy.

I think that, all things equal, he wants to go to Portland, but would go elsewhere if offered enough money.

Kid Minneapolis
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
He would also have a bigger role in Portland, helping to replace Roy.

I think that, all things equal, he wants to go to Portland, but would go elsewhere if offered enough money.

That's my point. He lives in Seattle, he plays in Atlanta, he's also entertaining offers from other teams, and yet he outright declines the best offer out there, while still entertaining 3 other offers? Just doesn't make sense to me.

The Pacers are the only team he's outright declined. He's still entertaining the Knicks offer for half the money. Just seems like a big FU to me.

Sookie
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
That's my point. He lives in Seattle, he plays in Atlanta, he's also entertaining offers from other teams, and yet he outright declines the best offer out there, while still entertaining 3 other offers? Just doesn't make sense to me.

The Pacers are the only team he's outright declined. He's still entertaining the Knicks offer for half the money. Just seems like a big FU to me.

Probably because we've got 18 shooting guards and he doesn't feel like competing for a spot.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2011/12/13/getting-west-is-nice-getting-crawford-or-mayo-with-west-would-have-been-better/

Pacers president Larry Bird could have stopped trying to make moves with the signing of David West.

That wasnít on Birdís mind. He wanted more. He wanted to make another move to help the Pacers win at least five more games and possibly move up even more in the Eastern Conference.

Thatís why the Pacers tried to try to acquire Memphisí O.J. Mayo in a trade.

That didnít work so Bird turned his attention back to Jamal Crawford, who Bird has liked for years.

Bird, who had stayed in constant communication with Crawfordís agent, offered the unrestricted free agent a two-year, $10-million deal that had an opt out after the first year.

Crawford, who had just as much interest in the Pacers as they had in him, thought about the offer for a few hours before he turned it down, according to his agent Andy Miller.

Crawford received some other offers that sparked his interest.

Bird has been trying to acquire a player who knows how create his shot off the dribble for some time. I canít count how many times over the years the Pacers have lost games in the fourth quarter because they didnít have a player who could create his own shot.

Landing Mayo or Crawford would have helped fix that problem.

A lot of people talked about how the Pacers didnít need either one of those players because it would impact the development of a player like Paul George and take away minutes from some of the other wing players.

Letís not forget, George is only in his second season. His game is still developing.

Besides, itís all about winning, not about worrying about feelings.

ďIím trying to win games and making a deal (Tuesday) would have helped us win some more games,Ē said Bird, who was upset over not being able to make a deal, as he sat in the stands watching the teamís second practice Tuesday evening. ďPlaying time gets settled in practice.Ē

Landing West for only two years was a great move by the Pacers. Landing West and Mayo or Crawford would have been an excellent move for them.