PDA

View Full Version : Ben to Burress!

MSA2CF
11-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Loved that first quarter of the Steelers/Pats game! Big Ben continues to impress me, and I am oh so glad to see Plaxico getting involved in the offense again. I also enjoyed seeing Jerome in some extended action. Ben has some poise, shown especially on the first TD pass to Plaxico! Amazing...And how bout them Steelers! 6-1 is 6-1, no matter who the opponents were.

ChicagoJ
11-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Ben played well, but I was much more impressed with the Steel Curtain.

I've asked this from time to time, but why isn't Joey Porter considered the best linebacker in football. Period.

Hoke filled in nicely for Casey Hampton. Willie Williams wasn't any worse now than he was in 1995. With Hampton and C. Scott out, we'll have a hard time maintaining outrageously large leads - the hurry-up offense exploited our somewhat weaker pass rush and our reliance on our LBs to put the pressure on the QB. Fortunately, Dick LeBeau is back where he's always belonged, I'm not sure any offensive coordinator can outsmart him, head-to-head.

Duce was running through holes a mile wide. I thought the Patriots D-Line would be more competitive than that.

That first strike to Plaxico was huge. That's a play in which the ball usually falls harmlessly to the ground, incomplete. But the next two plays our defense played after that bomb were perfectly executed. In a three minute span of the first quarter, that game was over.

Kstat
11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
That underachieving SOB finally caught some TD passes for me. My fantasy team is really going to catch fire if he starts living up to expectations.

Same goes for Michael Vick too. Man, I feel sorry for the poor soul that had to play me yesterday.....all my players broke out of their slumps all at once......

Stryder
11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
..I've asked this from time to time, but why isn't Joey Porter considered the best linebacker in football...

Because his name isn't Ray Lewis...

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 10:54 AM
So are you saying Ray Lewis is better, or better known?

IMO, Joey is better than Ray.

Stryder
11-04-2004, 11:04 AM
So are you saying Ray Lewis is better, or better known?

IMO, Joey is better than Ray.

A little bit of both.

He's a better LB than Porter. And he is also more well-known than Porter. Lewis's image intensifies the already existing gap between them.

I'm not much for stats, but look at 'em.

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Of course, I watch Joey every week.

His ability to rush the passer *and* defend recievers sets him apart in my mind.

I'll give you that he's somewhat inconsistent. He'll follow up a three-sack plus an interception game with a few average games, then force two fumbles and have three sacks in a game again. And Farrior gets more tackles because he's the guy that 'stays home' while Joey blitzes or goes into coverage.

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 12:49 PM
D'oh!

Kstat
11-04-2004, 03:33 PM
I like Porter, but Ray Lewis may be the best player in football, PERIOD.He was the best player on the single-best defense of all time for one season.He is also on a VERY short list of defensive players who have won superbowl MVP.

When Joey racks up the career accomplishments Ray has, i'll compare the two.

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Fair enough... When Porter dominates a game, he's clearly the best player on the field. But I'll admit he doesn't dominate by having many 18-tackle games. He does his damage behind the line of scrimmage and he's versatile enough to go into coverage. Lewis is better against the run. Heck, Farrior is better than Porter against the run.

For full disclosure, I still think Greg Lloyd is the best linebacker I've ever seen play. For the same reasons: he absolutely owned the offensive backfield.