PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley: no 'active effort' to trade O.J. Mayo

90'sNBARocked
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/dec/12/grizzlies-owner-michael-heisley-no-active-effort-t/
Posted December 12, 2011 at 2:42 p.m.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley attended practice this morning for the first time since training camp began last week.

He took in the sights and sounds, exchanged pleasantries with several players and then delivered a couple of public service announcements through the media. Heisley, a Chicago-based billionaire, dispelled speculation that guard O.J. Mayo is again on the trading block and that the Griz could lose center Marc Gasol in free agency.

“Right now, we do not have any active effort going to trade O.J. Mayo,” Heisley said, also reiterating that the Griz intend to match any offers for Gasol, a restricted free agent.

Asked if he had any indication that Gasol doesn’t want to return to Memphis, Heisley said: “No. I would be surprised if Marc doesn’t want to be here.”

Reportedly, the Houston Rockets are preparing a maximum-contract offer sheet worth $55 million over four years for Gasol. Heisley said the Grizzlies had not received a signed offer sheet from Houston or any team.

There are no indications that Gasol will sign Houston's reported offer sheet if presented. Memphis has already offered Gasol a five-year deal worth more than any team can pay, according to Heisley.

Heisley said he hasn’t spoken with Gasol or his agent. General manager Chris Wallace is handling the negotiations with Gasol’s agent Arn Tellem.

Heisley did say he spoke with Mayo at today’s practice. But Mayo didn’t ask Heisley about his future despite persistent reports that the Griz are mulling a trade offer from the Indiana Pacers.

Indiana wants to sign and trade power forward/center Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush to Memphis for Mayo.

“O.J. is on the team,” Heisley said.

Sparhawk
12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
talk talk talk. that's all I hear.

just means that a deal hasn't been made...yet.

Pacersalltheway10
12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
:censored:

Scot Pollard
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
It's just a PR move.

He's not going to flat out say "we talking to Indiana about trading O.J."

RWB
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
“O.J. is on the team,” Heisley said.

Does that sound like a deflection or what. :D

RichardHawes
12-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Im sick of this back and forth...

PR07
12-12-2011, 05:07 PM
It means that the Hoopsworld blurb was just hot air (a normal occurrence from that site). A trade could still very well happen, but it hasn't yet.

ApNeDtRiEeW
12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
He probably just doesn't want Mayo to go all Odom on the team if for some reason the deal falls apart.

Shade
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Those are very non-committal quotes.

Heisenberg
12-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Didn't he say something similar last year during the botched trade attempt?

crunk-juice
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
balls

naptownmenace
12-12-2011, 05:20 PM

No, he actually released a fairwell statement to the same newspaper about how he hates to see him go but this is a deal that makes sense for everyone involved (paraphrasing). He jumped the gun and then blamed it on the Pacers not having their stuff together when the deal didn't go through.

Scot Pollard
12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
I think there's about a 90% chance it will happen.

I said before, right now, Memphis is probably debating if they should take the contract of Brandon Rush.

pacers74
12-12-2011, 05:25 PM
All of the deals are taking a little bit of time to get done. No one is jumping on deals right away. We just have to be patient.

Doddage
The keyword is "active." Which could mean anything.

bellisimo
Thats the same thing which Donnie Walsh was saying about Jalen Rose right before we traded him to the Bulls

Trader Joe
12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
I just wanna start a new 2k12 franchise so it would be nice if they could get this done.

Naptown_Seth
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
It sure seemed like it.

I think it means "the deal is dead" from his view, something about it he didn't like again (maybe Rush being thrown in since they were trying to cut salary).

RWB
12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Someone posted it elsewhere, but it's expected to take over 7 million next year to hold onto Mayo with a qualifying offer. No wonder the Grizz are trying to get something before he goes the free agent route.

JBones19
12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I just wanna start a new 2k12 franchise so it would be nice if they could get this done.

I am in the same boat. I tried it out last night (couldn't help myself) with Mayo and West in our starting line-up and it was awesome. Put up 136 on the Thunder.

fwpacerfan
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
No, he actually released a fairwell statement to the same newspaper about how he hates to see him go but this is a deal that makes sense for everyone involved (paraphrasing). He jumped the gun and then blamed it on the Pacers not having their stuff together when the deal didn't go through.

I'm sure he won't do this again. His stance would be what I would expect, especially since he was embarrassed earlier this year by jumping the gun.

I think a deal will get done by Wednesday.

Heisenberg
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Someone posted it elsewhere, but it's expected to take over 7 million next year to hold onto Mayo with a qualifying offer. No wonder the Grizz are trying to get something before he goes the free agent route.
7.4 million qualifying offer. I don't know how I'd feel about keeping him longterm, but he wouldn't be getting paid that much in any extension I offered.

naptownmenace
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm sure he won't do this again. His stance would be what I would expect, especially since he was embarrassed earlier this year by jumping the gun.

I think a deal will get done by Wednesday.

Fine with me. I really think that the Pacers are probably the hold up right now. They're trying to dump Rush and probably want to wait to see who else gets cut via amnesty. Maybe they put a claim in on Billups?

PaulGeorge24
12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Pacers don't really need Mayo to be honest with you.

We have George and Hill who both play the two spot.

pizza guy
12-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I'd prefer the Pacers stop trying to force Rush into this deal and have a rotation of

DC/Hill
Mayo/Rush
Granger/George
West/Hans
Hibbert/Foster

I think that rotation allows Hill, George, and Hans to be offense off the bench where they will be best suited. Most of us agree that PG24 could start, and some of us believe Tyler could be a starter, so that puts 2 border-line starters in the 2nd unit against other teams' scrubs.

I say we could keep Rush because we wouldn't need any offense from him in that lineup, just his defense and an occasional spot-up shot. You can also put George in at SG if the match up works. But, especially with his added height, if you add a true SG like Mayo, there's no reason for PG24 to play out of position. Playing the rotation like this, IMO, uses the talent better and more naturally.

Anthem
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM

But if you can add him without losing any players, why wouldn't you?

sportfireman
12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I would like to actually have a line up where Lance gets to play to see what he can do....

Collison/GHill
PGeorge/Lance
Granger/Rush
West/Tyler
Roy/Jeff

A few tweaks here and there but I would like to see what they can do.

Kemo
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I see it over and over with some of you that keep forgetting about Lance..

Lance WILL be in the rotation this year.
He will be on the 2nd year of his guaranteed 2yr contract..
And Larry is gonna want to see what he's got in Lance to determine whether or not to retain him or not...
I , personally feel that Lance is gonna be phenomenal if we give him the opportunity...

Plus , u know if we get Mayo, it will really bring out the competitive fire in both Lance and Mayo, which will greatly benefit everyone...

xBulletproof
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I see it over and over with some of you that keep forgetting about Lance..

Lance WILL be in the rotation this year.
He will be on the 2nd year of his guaranteed 2yr contract..
And Larry is gonna want to see what he's got in Lance to determine whether or not to retain him or not...

Lance has 2 years of a team option left. For as cheap as it is, if he keeps his nose clean this year I'm sure they'll pick it up.