PDA

View Full Version : Big Things Coming?

yoadknux
12-12-2011, 03:34 PM
As you know, we used the Amnesty thing on Posey today. Doesn't make much sense since we pay him anyway, and we're well under the cap. Then I ran into this:

Buzz: Pacers poised to make run for Nene
The Pacers could be clearing cap space to make a run at several prominent free agents still on the market, including Nene or Jamal Crawford. They’ve also been talking with Memphis about a deal for guard O.J. Mayo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ak8ybxriIwas.k7pHSamVDbTjdIF?slug=ys-free_agent_buzz_121211

Could we be going after Nene too? Crazy :-o
Or maybe we cleared the extra cap to absorb a bad/large contract from some team? Maybe Rudy Gay for Paul George? ;)
What a nice offseason :buddies:

pacers74
12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
WIth the West signing we are out of the Nene sweepstakes and I would rother have PG than Gay. The Posey amnesty just has to do with getting OJ Mayo here. Memphis probably doesn't want Rush, so we free up a roster space b y dumping Posey.

PaulGeorge
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I am very surprised Nene hasn't signed anywhere yet. This must be because of Howard demanding a trade. This really does help us but, I still don't want to overpay. Maybe West coming here would make Nene change his tune?

yoadknux
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
WIth the West signing we are out of the Nene sweepstakes and I would rother have PG than Gay. The Posey amnesty just has to do with getting OJ Mayo here. Memphis probably doesn't want Rush, so we free up a roster space b y dumping Posey.
But we have enough cap to absorb OJ even with Posey, and if we end up with OJ we might as well trade Rush for a backup center or a second rounder. There's pretty much no reason to keep Rush if Mayo gets here. Hill, George and Lance can back up the SG spot.

Heisenberg
12-12-2011, 03:48 PM
The amnesty clause had to be used on a pre-lockout contract. Posey's was the only one close to bad, so may as well use it. That's pretty much all it means as far as I'm concerned.

CooperManning
12-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Rudy Gay will be making between $15 and $20 million every year for the next four years.

Paul George is owed about $8 million combined over the next three years.

Do people really think we still have the cap room to absorb that much salary?

For some reason, a decent portion of the fan base seems to think that having a lot of cap room = having unlimited cap room.

Roy Hibbert and George Hill have 1 year left on their contracts. DC and Tyler have two years left. If you like our young core at all, and want to keep them, we need to save some money.

troyc11a
12-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Rudy Gay will be making between $15 and $20 million every year for the next four years.

Paul George is owed about $8 million combined over the next three years.

Do people really think we still have the cap room to absorb that much salary?

For some reason, a decent portion of the fan base seems to think that having a lot of cap room = having unlimited cap room.

Roy Hibbert and George Hill have 1 year left on their contracts. DC and Tyler have two years left. If you like our young core at all, and want to keep them, we need to save some money.

Exactly! Plus, why would anyone want to spend $70mill on Gay just so he could back up Granger? We need PG much more and we know that he fits the defensive mentality Vogel wants. Besides, West and Mayo are more offensive players who are weak on "D". Dont need anymore players like that.

Unclebuck
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm sure the pacers have a number of things in the discussion phase. But so do most teams. I also don't think too much should be read into Posey getting amnestied.

Pacers supposedly backed away from nene because his price was too high so unless he has lowered his price, I don't think he is coming here

yoadknux
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Rudy Gay won't backup Granger lol, he'll be a wing next to Granger.
Our young core is awesome, but Rudy Gay in my eyes is the best case of Paul George in 2-3 years.
Anyway forget Gay, there are no rumors about him, I just gave him as an example of us absorbing a contract. I'm trying to connect the Amnesty thing to something else.