PDA

View Full Version : Point guard trades?

McKeyFan
12-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Just wondering why we haven't heard much chatter about point guard, which I believe is a far bigger need than shooting guard.

There's a lot of talk about Mayo, but not about a point guard. Is that because no one is available? Are we considering Billups? Are we generally done for now but looking at Mayo to stack another asset (because the deal is right in front of us)?

Or, if DC isn't the answer, can George Hill pull it off for this upcoming year?

31andonly
12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Maybe because TPTB think that DC and Hill are the answer (at least for this season)?!

Pacersalltheway10
12-12-2011, 07:40 AM
i want to see Collison and West work together

HC
12-12-2011, 08:08 AM
There is also this cat named Lance Stephenson. I hear he is the most talented player on the roster.

wintermute
12-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Just wondering why we haven't heard much chatter about point guard, which I believe is a far bigger need than shooting guard.

There's a lot of talk about Mayo, but not about a point guard. Is that because no one is available? Are we considering Billups? Are we generally done for now but looking at Mayo to stack another asset (because the deal is right in front of us)?

Or, if DC isn't the answer, can George Hill pull it off for this upcoming year?

Probably because no one is available. I don't think Collison is special, but given his age and production it's not easy to find someone who is a clear cut upgrade over him.

Obviously we'd like to go after a superstar PG (CP3, Deron, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo) or a young stud PG (Wall, Curry, Evans, Holiday, Jennings, Lawson) but those guys are almost impossible to get. To our credit, we did go after Rondo when it appeared that he was available, but that doesn't look like it's happening anymore.

On the next tier, is Collison clearly inferior to guys like Nelson, Conley, Harris, Felton? For now yes, but given his cost and potential to improve, there's an argument that DC is preferable to these guys in the long run.

Our best chance for an upgrade might come from getting an older star PG, a guy like Nash or Billups perhaps. That's where the amnesty option becomes intriguing for us. If we win the bidding for Billups, maybe we can convince him that he can be the veteran leader to lead this young team to contention, similar to sentiments expressed by DWest. Promising him the starting PG spot can only help, I would think.

Baron Davis might also be available from amnesty, but I'm not so sure about adding him. It could be a potential disaster - I don't think this team is ready for that. If Billups is willing to play here he'd be the best bet I think.

Unclebuck
12-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I posted in the David West thread, that it appears the pacers are satisfied and willing to stick with Collison

Strummer
12-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I wonder if Billups is trying to scare off amnesty claims because he intends to re-sign with the Knicks after he clears waivers. That would be tricky of them. I wonder if that's allowed.

LoneGranger33
12-12-2011, 09:21 AM
If Collison hasn't improved after five seasons in the NBA, why would we think he'd improve for us now? He's hit his peak - he is what he is.

HC
12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
If Collison hasn't improved after five seasons in the NBA, why would we think he'd improve for us now? He's hit his peak - he is what he is.

5 seasons???

Heisenberg
12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
You just get out of a time machine?

BPump33
12-12-2011, 09:23 AM

This will only be his third season. :confused:

LoneGranger33
12-12-2011, 09:24 AM
This will only be his third season. :confused:

Oh...so why are we having this discussion then? Give the kid a chance.

HC
12-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh...so why are we having this discussion then?

That 5 years ago Darren played for UCLA

mildlysane
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Huh?! He is a 3rd year player and his rookie year, with David West, was very good. He spent most of his second year with JOB as coach. He is nowhere near his peak. He was pretty good against DRose in the playoffs til he hurt himself. He is gonna get better.

Edit-Guess I was late to the party...lol.

LoneGranger33
12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm just astonished by how quickly we've given up on the guy. He's played a single season for us, more than half of which was under JOB, and it seems like everyone with an opinion around here is of the opinion that he's the weakest link.

ksuttonjr76
12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm just astonished by how quickly we've given up on the guy. He's played a single season for us, more than half of which was under JOB, and it seems like everyone with an opinion around here is of the opinion that he's the weakest link.

Personally, DC is a "can live with or without" player to me. I don't mind having him, and I don't have that many complaints about his game overall. However, he would be my first trade chip if something better comes along.

wintermute
12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I wonder if Billups is trying to scare off amnesty claims because he intends to re-sign with the Knicks after he clears waivers. That would be tricky of them. I wonder if that's allowed.

No, he can't re-sign with the Knicks. Amnesty rules.

He did say (or was it his agent?) he wanted to go the Heat, which is probably just as bad.

Major Cold
12-12-2011, 09:37 AM
We are giving DC a chance with West. Hill is there just in case. DC is not horrible, but he would be best off of the bench. For much the same reasons that Tyler is best off of the bench.

His speed and shooting stretch the defense and it opens up lanes for slashers and shooters. I think DC will bounce back this year. He will not have the same role as last year. If he gets over 30 mpg I would be surprised.

DC- 26 mpg; Hill 22mpg
Mayo- 26 mpg; George 15 mpg; Hill 7 mpg
Granger- 32 mpg; George 16 mpg
West 28 mpg; Hans 20 mpg
Hibbert 30 mpg; Foster 10 mpg; Depending on matchups---Pendgraph/West 8mpg

Pacerized
12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
We have 2-3 roster spots to fill and I'd rather upgrade if possible then to settle with what we have. Billups should be a player we go after. IMO he'd start over DC and he still has a few years left. If we offer 1 mil and he retires so what. He won't get paid if he retires so we have nothing to lose.

Major Cold
12-12-2011, 09:52 AM
People. Billups will not play for us. He and his agent said that he will retire if he is picked up on waivers.

So please stop. No Andre Miller either.

Pacerized
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
We need to call their bluff because I don't believe them. I can't see Billups walking away from 14 mil just because he doesn't get to play for the Heat.
I don't want an attitude problem but I think that could be resolved with a meeting once Billups realizes we're a playoff team that should be better then the Knicks.

Major Cold
12-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I think that it is too much of a risk. He won't walk away that I am aware of.

If you retire you get the cash. At least Reggie Miller did. We amnestied his contract after he was retired. So I think we would get stuck with whatever we sign him with. Lose the player and the cap. It is not worth the bluff.

2minutes twoa
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Totally agree!! He was playing great before tweaking his ankle against Chicago! This is his year to prove himself!!

Pacerized
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I think that it is too much of a risk. He won't walk away that I am aware of.

If you retire you get the cash. At least Reggie Miller did. We amnestied his contract after he was retired. So I think we would get stuck with whatever we sign him with. Lose the player and the cap. It is not worth the bluff.

Amnesty worked differently the last time. In this case I think it would just be like any other player. If Granger were to retire today he walks away from his pay, it's his decision. If it were medical it would be different since insurance would pay it.
If a player signs a contract he can't just retire and not play then expect to be paid that contract.
I don't think there is any risk.

Larry Staverman
12-12-2011, 10:51 AM
DC played his best ball the last month of the season and in the playoffs before he rolled the ankle and I expect him to be better this year.

Plus now we have legitimate options behind him to push him. We are fine at the point.

Kid Minneapolis
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I still want Rondo. That would complete me.

Heisenberg
12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Far as retired guys getting paid, I know Brandon Roy's getting paid his entire contract but it disappears from the cap on the one year anniversary of his injury. Don't know if it's different for medical retirements and just regular retirements or not.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Nope.

naptownmenace
12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
For PGs the 3rd season is usually when they make the biggest jump in improvement.

I think having George Hill added to the team will definitely get Collison motivated to hold onto his starting job. I think being reunited with David West will be a great thing for his game.