PDA

View Full Version : Sprewell wants trade

Doug
11-01-2004, 10:56 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-sprewellwantstrade&prov=knight&type=lgns

My favorite quote:

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed. Anything can happen; it's a long season. You never know."

He's making 14 mil this season. What the heck is his family eating?????

Kegboy
11-01-2004, 11:08 AM
This is why I'm wary of picking the Wolves to win anything. Their chemistry is just too damn combustible.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Natston
11-01-2004, 12:24 PM

I don't know but it seems to make the coach choke whenever he comes over for dinner...

Natston
11-01-2004, 12:33 PM

I don't know but it seems to make the coach choke whenever he comes over for dinner...

Left your A game at home today, eh?

I never knew I had "A" game, I'm not the most humorous poster, jeez... :rolleyes:

Kstat
11-01-2004, 01:56 PM

I never knew I had "A" game, I'm not the most humorous poster, jeez... :rolleyes:

No, he has a point. that was "D" work at best......

DisplacedKnick
11-01-2004, 02:16 PM
I liked this line: Sprewell described the team's latest offer, reported to be worth between $27 million and $30 million over three years, as "insulting."

Please - somebody insult me.

Mr. Pink
11-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Looks like Spree has one of the deadly sins wrapped around his little finger...

ChicagoJ
11-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Maybe, at the trading deadline, Spree can become our 'Sheed.

I know many of you might not believe what I'm about to say...

I've always been a huge Spreewell fan and I wish the Pacers would've given GSW whatever they wanted for him instead of letting him go to the Knicks. I think he gets a bad rap for off-the-court stuff. I know his game is deteriorating now... so I'm less inclined to make him the featured player of a blockbuster trade. But I'd still love to have him in the blue-and-gold.

Slick Pinkham
11-01-2004, 04:19 PM
truth:

Sprewell's $14.6 million salary this season is tied with eight other players for the ninth highest in the league. To put that into context, Sprewell's salary is more than double that of Indiana's Ron Artest and Detroit's Richard Hamilton, players who are more than five years younger and considered better than Sprewell.

The man is horribly overpaid.

He is not a top 10 player.
He is not a top 20 player.
He is not a top 30 player.

He is in the 30-50 range and falling fast.

Hicks
11-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Jay, what would Spree bring that Jackson doesn't?

ChicagoJ
11-01-2004, 05:07 PM
In my opinion, better shot selection, fewer turnovers.

Unlike a bunch of you, when JVG was coaching Spree and the Knicks, if the Pacers weren't playing that was the team I'd tune in on the LP and watch.

I've always thought that Spreewell had a very good cerebral approach to the game/ game plan. If he respects his coach, he'll do whatever he's asked to do. And because he's (historically been) so talented, he's capable of filling any role - scoring , defending, passing, dirty work, etc.. Now if he doesn't respect his coach, well that could get ugly.

At his age, I wouldn't want to declare him the SG of the future. But I wouldn't stick a fork in him, either. Not at $14 million on a long-term basis, but I'd certainly trade Croshere and Pollard (that's awfully close to $14 million) for him at the deadline if that's what it would cost.

Kegboy
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
2003-2004 stats, w/ current salary:
Spree
9/08/70

MPG - 37.8
PPG - 16.8
RPG - 3.80
APG - 3.5
SPG - 1.07
BPG - .26
TPG - 1.93
FPG - 1.20
FG% - .409
3P% - .331
FT% - .814
$$$: $14.6 Million

Sax
4/05/78

MPG - 36.8
PPG - 18.1
RPG - 4.60
APG - 3.1
SPG - 1.78
BPG - .25
TPG - 2.79
FPG - 2.70
FG% - .425
3P% - .340
FT% - .785
$$$: $4.9 Million

---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Kstat
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
You make one error, Jay.

Rasheed was only 29 when the Pistons aquired him. He still has some good basketball left.

Sprewell is already 34, and his best years are WELL behind him. Guards typically start breaking down about mid-30's

Natston
11-01-2004, 05:38 PM

No, he has a point. that was "D" work at best......

I was being sarcastic...

Anthem
11-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Jay, your stance on Spree vs. Ronnie is absolutely mind-blowing to me.

Slick Pinkham
11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
I view Spree as being a good fit for a wide-open aggressive fast-breaking team.

He's be good with Dallas (in place of Stackhouse), Sacramento (if Peja leaves), Boston under Rivers (a poor-man's Pierce).

I'd have no qualms about plugging him in somewhere at a salary at the MLE or a wee little bit above the MLE.

He thinks his value is twice that.

The Steven Jackson stat comparison is revealing. If S Jax is priced right, Spree should cost no more.

ChicagoJ
11-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Jay, your stance on Spree vs. Ronnie is absolutely mind-blowing to me.

Yeah, on the surface it doesn't seem very consistent, does it?

I was such a big fan of his when nobody knew who he was (pre-P.J.) that I'll admit to be somewhat blind to his warts and wrinkles. Sure he says stupid things now and then, but he knows he's always going to have a big target on his back and by all accounts his non-PJ coaches and his teammates have all loved/ respected him.

In my opinion, the only thing he ever did wrong was the PJ incident. Perhaps that preseason that he blew off in NY, but he couldn't have practiced anyway. Otherwise, JVG always challenged him to be a leader and Sprewell generally responded like a leader.

If Ron responds in the right way to Bird's public demand this summer to become a leader, then I'm more than happy to say that he's changed and I'll be a big fan of his. And he's certainly off to a good start, but the real evaluation doesn't come until May.

I just really like Spree - I'm not saying I'd give him his current salary and at his age the MLE probably makes sense.

One thing to note on those stats, he was the second or third option, and a willing one, on a WC Finals-caliber team. Further, in the opinion of many, he provided the missing mental toughness to get them out of the first round (even if he didn't have a great playoffs as a player, his impact on mental toughness was evident.) SJax put up huge numbers as the only option on a bad team. I think a healthy Sprewell in his prime could've put up 34pts/ 6assists/ 5rebs on last year's Altanta team, and they'd have won a handful of additional games.

Kstat, I was referring to his potential one-season effect. You guys were fortunate that 'Sheed is 29 and he re-signed, but that was just gravy. He was brought in to deliver last season's championship, which he did.

Kstat
11-01-2004, 07:21 PM
the point I was trying to make, Jay, was that I don't think SPree has enough left in the tank to make a sheed-esque impact.

ChicagoJ
11-01-2004, 07:33 PM
a) you may be right, that's not what I thought you were saying and I agree that he didn't have much left in the tank for last season's playoffs.

b) our need, now that we've picked up SJax, is obviously not as strong.

TheSauceMaster
11-01-2004, 07:38 PM
The Man is gonna Make 14 million this year , he needs to shut his trap and play the game :devil: I have no sympathy for him , if he can't live on 14 million and put food on his family's table , he has some real issues.

Stryder
11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Stupid a$$hole.

clownskull
11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
the wolves should trade him to the clips. that's where he belongs. a loser on a losing team. or perhaps to the bulls or hawks. rejecting an offer like he's been given and having the gall to call it an insult is insulting in itself. the chump needs a serious dose of reality.