PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Need Another B/U Center- Who?

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 08:15 PM
The Pacers have 5 Bigs

Hibbert
Hans
West
Foster
Pendergraph

The Pacers need another b/u Center, b/c Foster might have another round of injury issues. Bird wants a strong, so who can the Pacers get? Can Stanko play center well enough to be a b/u? Any suggestions?

beast23
12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
The Pacers do need an additional front court player. But for now, the depth chart would have to show Foster as the backup. If Foster cannot answer the bell, then we would have to go small ball, with either Hansbrough or Penderwho backing up Hibbert.

Psyren
12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Don't know what it would cost, but I'd like to have Kwame Brown.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
You've got Roy starting and Jeff backing him up. If Jeff ever misses a game this season, we've got no backup 5. I don't want to see West or Tyler get time there this year.

What are our options? Besides Stanko, is there anyone out there better for that role than McBob?

cdash
12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I assume Pendergraph would fill that role.

daschysta
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd like to see what Pendergraph can do in that role. He's 6'10 and plays even bigger than his size. He's unproven, but he's cheap and seems to have a bit of upside. If hibbert continues to improve his ability to stay out of foul trouble I think that Pendergraph will be adequate as a 3rd string center (unless Jeff is out a ton).

Centers tend to be overpriced, I wouldn't be crazy about sinking a ton of money into a backup.

Steagles
Did 2 of the same basic thread open in like 10 minutes? Really?

Anthem
This can be merged with the other identical thread. Great minds think alike.

And ours, too.

tadscout
12-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I assume Pendergraph would fill that role.

Yeah he was the back-up PF/C for Portland before his injury.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Did 2 of the same basic thread open in like 10 minutes? Really?
:laugh: Yeah, wild. His wasn't there when I started mine.

BPump33
12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Did Dalembert ever find a home? Too pricey?

cdash
12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah, like I said in the other thread on the subject--I think Pendergraph is pegged for that Solomon Jones-esque role. An upgrade if you ask me.

Steagles
12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
:laugh: Yeah, wild. His wasn't there when I started mine.

Wasn't trying to sound like a douche lol just wondering :D

Anthem
12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah he was the back-up PF/C for Portland before his injury.
You've got two guys coming off knee surgery, Foster's back history, and Tyler's cranium.

This team needs a sixth big.

docpaul
12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I like Fesenko here for his defensive presence and likely low cost.

7'1", and complementary to the high amount of offense we have on the bench. Excellent complement I bet to Hansbrough.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Way too pricey.

Last I read the Mavs had interest.

D-BONE
12-11-2011, 08:42 PM

I'd take him in a heartbeat...if I thought he wouldn't ask for more than we want to pay.

Aw Heck
12-11-2011, 08:43 PM
If the Pacers sign another big man it will be of the Jeff Pendergraph/Solomon Jones type level. Maybe one of the training camp invitees.

imawhat
12-11-2011, 08:44 PM
The Rockets could've amnestied Thabeet with a Gasol signing but that won't happen now.

It'd be a decent time to bring over Stanko.

docpaul
12-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I think the team needs someone to complement Hansbrough, and is cheap/young. As I said in the other thread, a good pick here might by K. Fesenko, who played for Utah last year.

Pacer Fan
12-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree, Maybe Larry has something for Rush, Jones, Stephenson, Price, Posey, ect. in a trade for a quality back-up 5.

_The_Future_
12-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Trade for Darko Milicic

Pacerized
12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, we really didn't have anyone in that role last year unless you count Solo but that's not to say that we shouldn't.
I asked this in another thread, but what if Nene chooses us? We could afford it if we waive Posey and it still wouldn't hurt us long term.
I have no idea how we would work out the rotation but we'd likely flip someone. I'd say take him if the option is there.
Otherwise I say go after amnesty players with the last 3-4 slots as a first priority. Are there any big men expected to be waived?

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Kaman could be a nice candidate, if you guys haven't notice, at this moment we don't have anybody to replace Roy if he get's hurt or his feelings get hurt again and I don't think Foster is that guy.

pwee31
12-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Can Speights play center? I was hoping for someone like Aaron Gray nut he went to the Raptors

Steagles
12-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Jarrid Famous?

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I'd like to see what Pendergraph can do in that role. He's 6'10 and plays even bigger than his size. He's unproven, but he's cheap and seems to have a bit of upside. If hibbert continues to improve his ability to stay out of foul trouble I think that Pendergraph will be adequate as a 3rd string center (unless Jeff is out a ton).

Centers tend to be overpriced, I wouldn't be crazy about sinking a ton of money into a backup.

Anyone have the measurements of the players from 09 where Pendergraph was measured?

For some reason, I have this feeling he's a PF like Hans, and not Center material. To me now is the time to find a b/u Center not when Foster or Hibbert goes down with an injury. Then it's who in the NBADL can we get in a hurry.

Eindar
12-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Does Przybilla have anything left in the tank?

MaHa3000
12-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Joel Prizbilla? Has he signed anywhere?

cdash
Trade for Darko Milicic

Gross.

Eleazar
I agree with bringing over Stanko. In my opinion now is the best time to bring him over, and see what he can do.

Will Galen
12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
If we can't get Mayo for him just sign McRoberts for ourselves.

_The_Future_
12-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Gross.

Hes not that expensive and he had a decent year last year.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Kaman could be a nice candidate, if you guys haven't notice, at this moment we don't have anybody to replace Roy if he get's hurt or his feelings get hurt again and I don't think Foster is that guy.

I like the idea of Kaman. He's pricey, but he's an expiring too. What would it cost the Pacers to get him?

Pacer Fan

He hasn't yet.

I expect that Larry will trade some of our unwanteds for a backup 5 tho.

PaulGeorge
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7322055/nba-michael-redd-radar-free-agents-consider

Kyrylo Fesenko, C
The Russian center probably is never going to be an offensive threat. He's not a good free throw shooter (career mark of 39.8 percent) and during his tenure with the Utah Jazz he was criticized for a perceived lack of focus. But it's his defense that teams will find attractive. At 7-foot-1, he's big, active and moves well for his size.

Fesenko
Consider this: According to Synergy Sports, Fesenko ranked as the second-best defender in the league among NBA players who faced 150 opponent plays or more in 2010-11. In 2009-10, he ranked first in that category. Further, according to 82games.com, the Jazz's defense was 10 points better per 100 possessions with him on the floor (102.5) than when he was off it (112.5) last season.

The downside is he is foul prone, with a career mark of one foul per every 4.94 minutes on the floor, which limits his playing time. But if a team is looking for solid defense from a backup center, Fesenko certainly provides it. And he'll turn 25 just before the start of the season, which should mean he's got plenty of NBA mileage left.

Finishing financial touch: With a host of teams after him in a shallow free-agent pool, and his stock sky high after a title run with the Dallas Mavericks, Chandler's market value should be significantly more than the $12.6 million he made last season. Fesenko has the ability to bring similar strong defense for much less, as he likely won't cost more than a few million per year at most if he receives a multiyear offer. (He played for the Jazz's qualifying offer of just $1,087,500 last season.)

Scout's take: "In this case, stats don't lie. Fesenko's huge presence and long right arm (which he holds upright constantly when playing defense) impact the entire offensive flow of the opponent. He's never come close to reaching his overall potential, but if given consistent minutes each game I could see him learning how to play without fouling and becoming known as one of the top low-post defenders in the NBA." -- Thorpe

================================================== =

Can't score but, we don't really need him to with the offensive talent we have now with west. If we add mayo I think we'd need to look at fesenko.

pwee31
12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure who's out there? Elson, Dampier, Speights?, Gadz.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Does Przybilla have anything left in the tank?

I read last week he was thinking about retiring.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I like the idea of Kaman. He's pricey, but he's an expiring too. What would it cost the Pacers to get him?

Not sure but at this moment it looks like he is on his way to NO for CP3, we could maybe get in that :confused:

cdash
12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Hes not that expensive and he had a decent year last year.

For a third-string center who likely wouldn't see the court very much, he would be very expensive.

Young
12-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Fesenko seems to be the best choice out of the free agents.

Not many choices out there in free agency or trade.

MaHa3000
12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Where's Jon Edwards when you need him?

PaulGeorge
12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Otherwise I say go after amnesty players with the last 3-4 slots as a first priority. Are there any big men expected to be waived?

Andrea Bargnani has been mentions on espn insider for amnesty

CooperManning
12-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Trade for Pekovic (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1531/player?r=1).

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Not sure who's out there? Elson, Dampier, Speights?, Gadz.

Speights definately interests me! He's still on a rookie contract and is a PF/C. IIRC, I believe I read last week Philly was interested in trading him.

Lance George
12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Can Speights play center? I was hoping for someone like Aaron Gray nut he went to the Raptors

Judging by where Philly plays him most, he's a center who sometimes plays PF, not vice versa.

Marreese Speights' Percentage of Minutes @ Center
08-09 (http://www.82games.com/0809/08PHI11.HTM): 68%
09-10 (http://www.82games.com/0910/09PHI12.HTM): 76%
10-11 (http://www.82games.com/1011/10PHI12.HTM): 94%

He's listed at 6-foot-10, 255 pounds...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/701/413/GYI0063114664_crop_450x500.jpg?1295490227

Mono
12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm looking to see where Fesenko lands. I'm not sure if Indiana is the right place, but a bit more about him... He has okay hands and is a powerful (not elaborate) dunker. He's a thick, enormous, broad-shouldered guy with tremendous strength. He's not a shot blocker, and he doesn't have a high basketball IQ, but his defense is tremendous because of the way he can get into the paint and pushes around most offensive big men.

He fouls at a high rate mostly because he seems to be playing on pure adrenaline when he steps onto the court. His hands are pushing and swiping away before his brain knows what's going on.

An added benefit of this is that for many opponents, once they're on the court with this big monster and he's hacked them a couple of times, they get shy on offense and shrink away from the pain.

He's an average rebounder.
He's a better passer than his stats would seem to indicate.
He'll never be a "good" NBA player, and yet I think he belongs in the NBA and will make a positive contribution to a team that knows how to utilize a bruiser off the bench.

_The_Future_
12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
For a third-string center who likely wouldn't see the court very much, he would be very expensive.

Pretty sure he would be 2nd string on our team if he were here

PaulGeorge
12-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Trade for Pekovic (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1531/player?r=1).

That wouldn't be bad but, i'd rather have one of their other centers who would LOVE to come to indy Brad Miller who would re-embrace the role that Foster played during the bulls series. Wolves do have 4 centers tho

graphic-er
12-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Fesenko is my guy, I talked about him earlier in the year. He would be fine back up center, because all you want him to do is clog the paint and rebound the ball. I'd sign him to a 3 year deal as well.

PaceBalls
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
STANKO!!!

Brad8888
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
At least Brad Miller could draw some contact and score, and get some rebounds, not to mention being a passing big. Not squeaky clean, but he does have a good history with us from the glory days.

able
12-11-2011, 09:19 PM
That wouldn't be bad but, i'd rather have one of their other centers who would LOVE to come to indy Brad Miller who would re-embrace the role that Foster played during the bulls series. Wolves do have 4 centers tho

Now you've gone done it:(

You awakened the beast thatwas sleeping!

pacers74
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I wish we could just bring over Stanko, but I would like to get a young guy maybe Hassan Whiteside from Sacramento.

cdash
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure he would be 2nd string on our team if he were here

Agree to disagree on Darko. It's irrelevant anyways--it's not gonna happen.

pacers74
12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
At least Brad Miller could draw some contact and score, and get some rebounds, not to mention being a passing big. Not squeaky clean, but he does have a good history with us from the glory days.

I would take an older B.Miller. At one time he said he wanted to come and play for the Pacers again. I think he might have said something about wanting to retire here.

Justin Tyme

Plus didn't Miller say he wanted to come back to play for the Pacers again?

Doddage
Trade for Darko Milicic
I'm not too opposed to this, actually. Posey for Darko?

Pacer Fan
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
If CP3 goes to the Clips and Clips sign Deandre for 10 mil per. They have to get rid of of about 16 mil if I looked at the numbers right. So, we could get in on that and get Kaman. Send Rush and 2nd pick to Hornets. Maybe send Rush, Mayo, Hans, 2nd and a 1st pick to Hornets and get Kaman and Gordon.

lol

pacers74
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
We posted that at the same time.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I would take an older B.Miller. At one time he said he wanted to come and play for the Pacers again. I think he might have said something about wanting to retire here.

LOL! We posted the samething at 9:22!

purdue101
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
How would you feel about bringing JO back for 1 year until Stanko can come over next year? Defensive big on the last year of his deal ($6M). I know he's said he'd like to retire a Pacer.

I'm certain Boston would take a straight salary dump for him. They're paying him $12M when you consider the tax.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
if you guys haven't noticed, at this moment we don't have anybody to replace Roy
There's two active threads discussing this very problem. One of them is the thread you're posting in.

I'd say it's been noticed.

BPump33
12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
If the Pacers are truly done with Brandon Rush (I'm not), a trade for Brad Miller works.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 09:29 PM
How would you feel about bringing JO back for 1 year until Stanko can come over next year? Defensive big on the last year of his deal ($6M). I know he's said he'd like to retire a Pacer.

I'm certain Boston would take a straight salary dump for him. They're paying him $12M when you consider the tax.
They'd have to throw in a draft pick. :devil:

And I like Jermaine. But that's the whole point of being in a position to absorb salary... you make people pay you.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
If the Pacers are truly done with Brandon Rush (I'm not), a trade for Brad Miller works.
If we pick up Mayo, Rush is the 4th-string SG at best.

Time to move on.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Man, that kid has added some mass since his rookie year.

PacerGuy
12-11-2011, 09:32 PM

I like Brad, but...
there was a reason other then money that the Pacers did not go all in to keep him.
Trading one pot-head for another, esp for one much older on a longer, bigger deal is not the answer.

Bball
12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
This is mainly the slight problem I have with re-signing Foster. Besides the fact he's into the end of his career and injuries and games missed have become more frequent, he's never particularly been an answer to the Pacers inside.

He's been an energizer bunny, a hard worker, a good soldier... etc.... And he's been so good at those things that the FO can't just quite try and find an upgrade at his position. We keep counting on him and expecting certain things. But he's not really the guy to give us those things.

He's a very good rebounder statistically, but he's not a good rebounder for that one offensive rebound you need late in the game. Early in games his offense is so poor that people typically don't account for him with a defender. This gives him a lane to the basket and room to operate. But by late in the game teams have adjusted for that or they will for the 'big play' with the clock ticking down. They know to put a body on him. Also, the NBA is pretty bad about allowing players to use not only their muscles to leverage someone out of the way but they allow for little tricks which basically is taking away a guys arms for a second or pushing him off his spot just at the opportune time. And of course this get worse at crunch time because refs swallow their whistles.

Foster is usually the guy on the receiving end of that stuff.

You take Foster away from the team and you force the FO to work hard to fill that backup PF/C spot with a physical presence, and potentially a scoring threat too. But as it is, Foster is like that guy that the FO likes for a lot of good reasons, but maybe some of them would fade in a bigger picture view.

So yeah... I agree with the premise we need a strong backup 5 who could contend and push for the starting spot. I'm just worried now that we've re-signed Foster it again won't be the priority it should be.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 09:36 PM

I'm not interested in JO at 6 mil, unless they are interested in taking Posey.

BPump33
12-11-2011, 09:39 PM
If we pick up Mayo, Rush is the 4th-string SG at best.

Time to move on.

I agree. I was saying (rather poorly) that I'm not sure I'd move him for Brad Miller. If Mayo is here, BRush would never see the floor anyway.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Ok, so easy options include:

Stanko - Time to bring him over from Europe?
Fesenko - Free agent, made 1M last year.
Jermaine - 6mil, would depend on what Celtics would give us to take him.

Harder options include:
Brad Miller - Making 4mil in last year of deal with Rockets.
Speights - Still under contract in Philly.
?

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Ok, so easy options include:

Stanko - Time to bring him over from Europe?
Fesenko - Free agent, made 1M last year.
Jermaine - 6mil, would depend on what Celtics would give us to take him.

Harder options include:
Brad Miller - Making 4mil in last year of deal with Rockets.
Speights - Still under contract in Philly.
?

FYI Brad Miller plays for the Twolves one of the 1m trades Khan made on draft night he flipped him for Johnny Flynn and a pick I believe.

JO shouldn't be an option IMO the guy is toast. Unless they give us the Clippers 1st rd pick then we can talk about getting JO.

McKeyFan
12-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Is Tyrus Thomas still obtainable?

pacergod2
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Fesenko is big and tough. Big body behind Roy. Not the most mobile though. Would give us quality minutes.

Banta
12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
This can be merged with the other identical thread. Great minds think alike.

And ours, too.

Like minds think alike. Good or otherwise. :dance:

Day-V
12-11-2011, 10:05 PM
*Ahem*

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=21841

Pacerized
12-11-2011, 11:04 PM

Kaman would be a great pick up but he'll start wherever he goes.
I don't want to burst everyones bubble on West, but I'd flip West for Kaman now. Kaman simply fits our needs better. I'd hope the cost would be less since the Clippers can't afford to keep him anyway.

As I see it we lost 2 pg's, 1 sg, 1 pf, & 1 C.
We've replaced the C, and the pf. I think we need the pg, and I think that should be Billups, Mayo would be fine with me as a sg providing the only cost is taking his contract or a sign and trade with McBob.
Instead of looking for a 3rd. guard I'd rather go after a big man since we have Lance and George already that can back up DC.
What we need is a center but there is no reason we shouldn't set our sites on a starter if he's there. West doesn't have to be guaranteed the starting spot.

TheDon
12-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't mind throwing an offer out to Dalembert that would be an awesome aquisition if we're searching for depth. I doubt it happens but I'd throw my hat in the ring doesn't seem like anyone but Dallas is making a run at him and while there's the obvious chance to contend situation with Dallas if anything maybe we can make Dallas pay a little extra. How much do you think it would cost to bring him on?

PG-24
12-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm not too opposed to this, actually. Posey for Darko?

Make sure you turn "force trades" on.

Really think theyll even consider that?

jeffg-body
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I like Kaman but I think he's gonna be too steep to get. Is Kwame Brown signed? He'd be ok for the third C on the roster and may be cheaper to get if he is available.

PG-24
12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Reggie Evans.

Major Cold
12-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Speights? Baragni? Dalembert? Pekovic?

You do realize this role is 10 mpg tops? We are not spending more on this player than we have ever had to on Foster.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM

You do realize this role is 10 mpg tops? We are not spending more on this player than we have ever had to on Foster.

Have you checked Speights contract? He on a ROOKIE contract that 1/2 of what Foster's last contract was. My guess Pekovic contract less than Speights.

It depends who the player is as to how many minutes they get. This is going to be a shortened season with back to back to backs. 5 games in 7 days, etc. Players minutes will be shortened to not wear them out during the season. This is why teams with great bench strength will be at an advantage over those that doesn't.

Hicks
12-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Now you've gone done it:(

You awakened the beast thatwas sleeping!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3qq0pL-fXLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PacersPride
12-12-2011, 01:06 AM
The Pacers have 5 Bigs

Hibbert
Hans
West
Foster
Pendergraph

The Pacers need another b/u Center, b/c Foster might have another round of injury issues. Bird wants a strong, so who can the Pacers get? Can Stanko play center well enough to be a b/u? Any suggestions?

thanks for posting. its most certainly the next critical move Bird must make. im not going overboard, this is not a move that will net us a championship, but from what ive seen from the Blue&Gold the last 7 years. its a move that can keep us in the playoffs and become a very dangerous team.

Bird is not done.

PacersPride
12-12-2011, 01:11 AM
anyone mentioned chuck hayes? bit undersized but for the right price? kaman would also be nice addition.

srry.. just drinking and carrying on.

Haywoode Workman
12-12-2011, 01:11 AM

i was chatting with a buddy and suggested this, i would love to have JO back

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 01:14 AM
anyone mentioned chuck hayes? bit undersized but for the right price? kaman would also be nice addition.

srry.. just drinking and carrying on.

He's already been signed.

Pacerized
12-12-2011, 01:16 AM

It doesn't have to be that way. We still have cap room and the ability to get better. If the right move is there to still improve our starting front court the we should do it. If that means West comes off the bench and Hans is bumped further so be it. We don't have to settle with just getting West. Given the choice of spending the money on another starting big or a starting pg, I'd go with the starting pg, but if we end up with Billups and Kaman why wouldn't we want to. At worst we'd be too deep in big men and have trade assets but we'd win more games.
The possibility is there to lose Dun, Ford, Solo, Posey, and Armstrong for
Kaman, West, Billups, Mayo, and Pendergraph and still be under the cap. Kaman, West, Mayo, and Billups all expire before we have to decide about extending George and Hibbert. We can't keep everyone but we could keep who we want. It's not a bad problem to have.
Of course I'm dreaming and we'll likely sign a scrub 5 that will never see the floor, but what the hell.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 01:17 AM
i was chatting with a buddy and suggested this, i would love to have JO back

Pass. He looks better in green & white than blue & gold. :D

JB24
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Hasheem Thabeet just got amnestied. The FO will likely be looking for a safer option though.

pacer4ever
12-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Hasheem Thabeet just got amnestied. The FO will likely be looking for a safer option though.

the exact kind of guy I never want in BnG the guy hates basketball and has no work ethic I easily pass like you said. I want guys who love the game and want to be great.

pizza guy
12-12-2011, 03:12 AM
I wouldn't mind Fesenko at all, he's probably the best fit.

I would like to see JO be able to come back and ride off into the sunset here, but Foster is probably going to remain the 2nd-string C, and the 3rd-string guy is going to be here in case Foster gets hurt. So, you'd have JO in case someone gets hurt. Anyone see a flaw in that plan? If I thought JO could stay healthy for 7 consecutive days, I'd be all for it.

CooperManning
12-12-2011, 03:26 AM

Pekovic averaged 13 minutes a game last year. So yes, I realize it. Wouldn't put him in the same group as former #1 pick Bargnani.

Jose Slaughter
12-12-2011, 03:29 AM
I guess its time to start beating the Robin Lopez again.

imawhat
12-12-2011, 03:34 AM
The Suns are thin on real shooting guards. With Gortat there, a Lopez/Rush trade would make sense for both teams.

PaceBalls
12-12-2011, 03:43 AM

Wow, what could have been.

<table class="wikitable sortable sortable"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td bgcolor="#FFCC00">Blake Griffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Griffin)<sup>+</sup></td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td>Hasheem Thabeet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasheem_Thabeet)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td>James Harden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harden_%28basketball%29)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td>Tyreke Evans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyreke_Evans)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td>Ricky Rubio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Rubio)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">6</td> <td>Jonny Flynn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Flynn)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td>Stephen Curry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Curry_%28basketball%29)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">8</td> <td>Jordan Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hill_%28basketball%29)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">9</td> <td>DeMar DeRozan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMar_DeRozan)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">10</td> <td>Brandon Jennings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Jennings)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td>Terrence Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Williams)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">12</td> <td>Gerald Henderson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Henderson,_Jr.)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td align="center">13</td> <td>Tyler Hansbrough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Hansbrough)</td></tr></tbody></table>

pacers74
12-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Robin Lopez would be a great backup. Pheonix has Gorat, Frye, Markieff Morris, Warrick, and Lopez. If Morris is better than Lopez, than Lopez could be the odd man out. It would be nice, but even with all of the bigs the Pheonix has I just don't see it happening.

pacers74
12-12-2011, 03:50 AM
As a backup I would take a shot a Thabeet too. He could be a cheap option. We could put in an offer for 1 mil or 2. I am not sure how the amnesty thing really works. Is it whoever offers the most gets the player, or do the players have a choice.

pezasied182
12-12-2011, 03:51 AM
As a backup I would take a shot a Thabeet too. He could be a cheap option. We could put in an offer for 1 mil or 2. I am not sure how the amnesty thing really works. Is it whoever offers the most gets the player, or do the players have a choice.

Who ever offers the most gets the player, that's why Billups is making a big deal that no team claim him off the amnesty waivers.

able
12-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Well a 1 or 2 million flyer on Thabeet would be anything but a bad idea. he has defense, and length.

BKK
12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Has Chuck Hayes signed a contract yet? If he can be had for cheap I'd love to have him. He is really short for a C but man he would be perfect for some smashmouth ball.

I'm also open to taking a gamble on Tabeet...

wintermute
12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Has Chuck Hayes signed a contract yet? If he can be had for cheap I'd love to have him. He is really short for a C but man he would be perfect for some smashmouth ball.

I'm also open to taking a gamble on Tabeet...

Yes, Sacramento signed Hayes to a 4 year $21m contract.

Not so sure about Thabeet. If we want a project center, I'd go after Ajinca in FA instead. Not that he's any good either, but I think he has more potential to be a useful player than Thabeet.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe now is the time to bring over Stanko. Let him get a feel of the NBA this year, and with Foster only on a 1 year contract he'd be ready to take a more active role next year.

pacergod2
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/kobe-bryant-has-a-kwame-brown-story/2011/10/07/gIQAgsdnSL_blog.html

McKeyFan
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Don't we HAVE to have a back up center?

We can't go into the season without one, can we?

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
I think we are going to play small ball :evil:

pacer4ever
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Bird said in his interview with Chris Deneri he views Pendagraph as the backup to Jeff.

the interview is on pacers.com

graphic-er
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Bird said in his interview with Chris Deneri he views Pendagraph as the backup to Jeff.

Which is Amazing considering it is a stretch to see Hibbert going 30 Mins a game. So Jeff Foster is gonna give us 18 minutes a night every other night of the week? I just don't see it. Jeff is good, but 18 is a bit much for a guy who had to chill out on the stationary bike inbetween subs.

Bird just needs to sign Fesenko.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM

Jeff backing up Jeff.

McKeyFan
12-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Ok. I hope he can defend.

Scot Pollard
12-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I think we'll sign some third string guy just to pan out the roster.

There's plenty out there.

In the 10 man rotation, our centers are Roy, backed up by Jeff F.

Roy will probably be given more minutes this season with his improvement and reliability so Jeff will probably see less minutes anyway this season.

Hopefully Roy stays out of foul trouble.

Freddie fan
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Which is Amazing considering it is a stretch to see Hibbert going 30 Mins a game. So Jeff Foster is gonna give us 18 minutes a night every other night of the week? I just don't see it. Jeff is good, but 18 is a bit much for a guy who had to chill out on the stationary bike inbetween subs.

Bird just needs to sign Fesenko.

So maybe Pendagraph plays 5 or 10 minutes a night? Let an undersized unit with him and Tyler get rough and tumble against the opponent's subs?

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Hello?

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Indiana+Pacers+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+YqAln_5Wpmbl.j pg

Clearly he is not amused.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Is Pendergraph really undersized? I thought he was like 6-10, 240. Sounds big enough to be our third string center. I don't really see the problem.

Gotta be better than Solo right? I feel like we have upgraded.

owl
12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
How many are on the roster currently? Does Posey being amnestied free up a roster spot?
If a cheap big is needed how about Mr Famous?

spazzxb
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Is Pendergraph really undersized? I thought he was like 6-10, 240. Sounds big enough to be our third string center. I don't really see the problem.

Gotta be better than Solo right? I feel like we have upgraded.

Considering Mcroberts didn't get a very big contract, I would take that to mean the front office believes Penderraph is an upgrade over Josh.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Considering Mcroberts didn't get a very big contract, I would take that to mean the front office believes Penderraph is an upgrade over Josh.

Is that why the Lakers were all over signing Pendergraph? ;)

Hicks
12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I guess I don't think Foster is as brittle as some of you. That said, it always makes sense to have a 3rd string center. Maybe that will be Pendergraph. I think he has a 7'1" wingspan.

McKeyFan
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Hello?

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Indiana+Pacers+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+YqAln_5Wpmbl.j pg

Clearly he is not amused.

Yeah, I should have at least acknowledged Jeff's existence.

But I think we all realize just how tentative his back, and therefore his reliability, is at this point in his career.

I love him, though.

PG-24
12-13-2011, 06:33 PM
well go small ball alot as mentioned. I imagine well see alot of these lineups in out frontcourt

tyler
west
granger

tyler
granger
george

west
granger
george

Very many teams have solid backup Cs as offensive threats so as long as we sub wisely and play sound defense, we should be able to do those lineups for 20 minutes. Itd be nice to have another C but not really a NEED. Were gonna be runnin and gunnin

ilive4sports
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I guess I don't think Foster is as brittle as some of you. That said, it always makes sense to have a 3rd string center. Maybe that will be Pendergraph. I think he has a 7'1" wingspan.

Isn't he healthier this season than previous?

vnzla81
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Well Foster played 16games two years ago and 56 last year, I don't think you can 100% count on him, we need a back up.

Major Cold
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/12/dwight-howard-jeff-foster-1209-200.jpg

We do play the Magic. So Foster will at least miss a week after playing them, unless Hibbert gets him in foul trouble again.

graphic-er
12-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Small Ball does not win.

spazzxb
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Is that why the Lakers were all over signing Pendergraph? ;)

Are you saying We couldn't have kept Josh if management wanted to? I have nothing against Josh, just pointing out that money wasn't the issue.

I never heard of Pendergraph before his singing, hoping for the best.

Heisenberg
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Rush for Speights. Makes too much sense not to happen.

spazzxb
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Small Ball does not win.

I don't expect small ball with Tyler at the five, However small ball with Danny at the 4 and George at the 3 (with foster or Hibbert at the 5) would have been effective. David West now makes that lineup unnecessary. Whats interesting is Paul George is taller than Danny or Tyler now so the definition of small ball would be somewhat challenged.

Naptown_Seth
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Ok. I hope he can defend.
Pendagraph is a nice grinder, a physical defender.

NBA physical? He hasn't had enough healthy time to prove it yet.

Hicks, he had to stand most of the time when out of the game when on the road, or lay down, and at home games he stays on the bike much of the time. This is a back issue, not some reconstructed knee that's getting stronger in a recovering 25 year old.

I love Jeff but he's going to feel pain this year. Heck, I'm just impressed he feels strong enough to return and go for another year or two.

OTOH, when he is out there you know he's going to be playing some good azz defense! :D
(so classic, he should sign autographs that way)

We do play the Magic. So Foster will at least miss a week after playing them, unless Hibbert gets him in foul trouble again.Which is what, 17 games this season?

sportfireman
12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I would like to see us bring Magnum back as a back up F/C. Before you say Roelle is too light to back up at C, McRoberts is 6'10 240lbs and he was adequate enough. Magnum is 6'11 235 lbs. I say we throw some cash Atlanta's way and see if they bite.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Are you saying We couldn't have kept Josh if management wanted to? I have nothing against Josh, just pointing out that money wasn't the issue.

I never heard of Pendergraph before his singing, hoping for the best.

Josh would not have signed here to be the 5th bigman on the depth chart. It would be a terrible career move when he could get more money and more playing time elsewhere.

And that's exactly what he did.

Unless you think we should have payed him market value (4-ish million per year, likely what Memphis would have payed him, maybe 5) to sit on the bench and only play for stretches when Jeff's back flared up. Also playing out of position.

Just didn't make any sense.

Infinite MAN_force
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
A little background on Pendergraph's game in college. Seems like he can be a solid contributor for times when Jeff can't go.

Little offensive game but decent finisher, rebounder, and defender. Has decent size. Plays a smart fundamental game.

Pendergraph is a meat and potatoes type player, mostly living off scraps offensively. The overwhelming majority of his points come off the ball--cuts, offensive rebounds, pick and rolls, and in transition. He’s smart, has terrific hands, and finishes pretty well around the basket—which makes him a reliable target inside. Arizona State is one of the slowest-paced and most offensively efficient teams in college basketball, and having a passer of James Harden’s caliber on the floor obviously doesn’t hurt.

Pendergraph is fairly mechanical trying to create his own shot with his back to the basket, although he can find some success doing so at the collegiate level. He rarely if ever attempts to do anything outside the paint, although from the small sample size of clips we saw it appears that developing a solid 15-17 foot mid-range jumper is not out of the question based on the mechanics he shows. Putting the ball on the floor is currently not in his repertoire. Based on his combination of size, athleticism and limited skill-set, Pendergraph does not project to be anything more than a fourth or fifth option at best when he’s on the floor. Pendergraph is a solid passer and almost never turns the ball over, which is a good combination for a future role-player.

Defensively, Pendergraph is very solid, showing extremely active feet in Arizona State’s zone. He’s not particularly tall, long or bulky, but his effort level, smarts and fundamentals allow him to be effective. He has nice timing and will block the occasional shot, although this probably isn’t something that is expected to translate that effectively considering his average physical attributes. He’s a good, but not great rebounder on top of that.

In terms of intangibles, Pendergraph is pretty much the entire package, as he’s a smart, well-spoken, hard working player on and off the court who graduated in three and a half years and is very well respected by his teammates. He’s a little bit young for his class, though, not turning 22 until the end of April, which means he might not be a finished product just yet.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1gSxYzWRC
http://www.draftexpress.com

Pacer Fan
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
No Crawford, No Mayo, now figuring we keep Rush, then we need to inforce the center position.

I Vote for Samuel Dalembert 1 yr. 7 - 8 mil
Also figuring Larry doesn't pull of a trade.

Gamble1
12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Has Alexis Ajinca signed yet. He could be a vet minimum guy who could rough up some people.

N'Diaye would also be worth a one year deal for the min.

MaHa3000
12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Where is Magnum Rolle?

MaHa3000
12-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Where is Magnum Rolle?

He's on the Hawks roster you idiot

CableKC
12-13-2011, 10:37 PM
As many have suggested....Foster is not up to playing 18 mpg for the entire season. Bird has been saying that he wants a super deep team. IMHO, if we have the $$ I'd rather spend it on very Solid Backup Center and push Foster back to the bench and use him in the Solomon Jones role as an "emergency Big". If you want a deep frontcourt, having Foster as the 4th ( not 3rd ) Big Man is deep.

The question is who we should go after that is willing to come to a team as a Backup Big to play a consisistent 18 mpg that is better than Foster?

IMHO, given our depth in the Backcourt....I'd spend money to shore up the Frontcourt. I love Foster....but he's no longer built to handle 18 mpg.

Pacer Fan
12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
I am seeing all these bottom feeders mentioned, why? We need to get better. Some of these names are worse then Solo. Last I checked Pacers still have like 14-15mil. Not saying to spend it all, but come on. Let's say a name worth saying.

Anthem
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Stanko?

In other news, there have been three "let's get a backup center" threads since the weekend, all covering similar ground. Any chance we could merge them?

Anthem
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Rush for Speights. Makes too much sense not to happen.
No-brainer for us. Why would Philly do that?

Anthem
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I saw several people mention Brad Miller potentially being an amnesty victim, but I don't see why or see any links saying the FO is actually considering that.

Anybody got a link?

Major Cold
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
He's on the Hawks roster you idiot

Chill out he didn't know.

Anthem
12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/kobe-bryant-has-a-kwame-brown-story/2011/10/07/gIQAgsdnSL_blog.html
So... NOT Kwame, then.

Major Cold
Where is Magnum Rolle?

xBulletproof
Chill out he didn't know.

..... Look at who he was replying to. :laugh:

Major Cold
Where is Magnum Rolle?

He is on the Hawks you idiot.

Anthem
12-13-2011, 11:20 PM
:winning:

Major Cold
12-13-2011, 11:21 PM
..... Look at who he was replying to. :laugh:

MAkes no difference. He should be kind in his reply.

Kuq_e_Zi91
12-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Reggie Evans?

P_George
12-13-2011, 11:37 PM
I know people have mentioned him -- but definitely Dalembert is the guy I'd like to see.

Yes, he will be a bit pricey, but -- he's also a guy that has been a starter everywhere he has been and is one of the better defenders/rebounding big men in the league. He's also a good locker room guy. If Hibbert got injured or got into foul trouble(which is something he's known to do), Dalembert is a guy that can give you 30 minutes and actually contribute at a high level.

Besides, not like we have a lot of interior defense, anyway.

MillerTime
12-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Thabeet is available.

He's young, cheap, and can have a lot of upside.

joeyd
12-13-2011, 11:43 PM
As many have suggested....Foster is not up to playing 18 mpg for the entire season....IMHO, if we have the $$ I'd rather spend it on very Solid Backup Center and push Foster back to the bench and use him in the Solomon Jones role as an "emergency Big". If you want a deep frontcourt, having Foster as the 4th ( not 3rd ) Big Man is deep.

The question is who we should go after that is willing to come to a team as a Backup Big to play a consisistent 18 mpg that is better than Foster?...I love Foster....but he's no longer built to handle 18 mpg.

Foster was not asked to play 18mpg last year. OK, it came out to just under 17, but the stats don't truly indicate what happened.

12 times out of his 56 games played last year, he was asked to play significantly longer minutes mostly b/c of Roy's foul trouble (in two games he had to play about 29-30 minutes), so these games greatly skewed his average.

Remember that he was not rushed back last season by JOB. He didn't play the first few games as he was still at the end of rehabbing from last season. He played two games, perhaps even then too soon, the second one being against Dwight, replacing Hibbert (foul trouble), then missed about two weeks when he sought treatment in Boston, but from then on, he did not miss significant time except a rest here or there.

There is a risk for any player to miss significant games, and a legit reason to have good back ups at each position, but to relegate Foster automatically to Solo status without good reason seems silly and is at best premature. Very few "emergency bigs" can light up the glass like he did several times last season. I remember him coming in at least twice last season and playing like a man possessed, grabbing 6-7 rebounds in his 6-7 minute initial stints. Play him smart and he should be durable. By the way, he played significant minutes the very next game after facing Dwight later in the season.

Brohan Cruyff
12-13-2011, 11:45 PM

I don't think the guy he was talking to is going to mind.

gummy
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Three threads about a getting a third sting center on the first page! Man, I guess we are worried about this, huh?

I am concerned about Foster's back for sure and the new Jeff is a question mark. But we're talking about third string here...couldn't we just snag someone from the D-League if for some reason the three guys we already have don't end up being enough? If the very worst happens and Hibbert is out for a long stretch, a third string quality center is not gonna save us.

Unless of course we are talking about using our cap space on someone significantly more talented than third string...but who would that be? I see scrubs and borderline starters available (or semi-available) who would probably cost too much and or expect to start.

Brohan Cruyff
12-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Three threads about a getting a third sting center on the first page! Man, I guess we are worried about this, huh?

I am concerned about Foster's back for sure and the new Jeff is a question mark. But we're talking about third string here...couldn't we just snag someone from the D-League if for some reason the three guys we already have don't end up being enough? If the very worst happens and Hibbert is out for a long stretch, a third string quality center is not gonna save us.

It all depends on what we get from Pendergraph. If he's a remotely competent center, we should be set there. If he's below-replacement, then obviously it's an issue. But this may be something that we can't even know until games have been played (at least preseason ones).

Heisenberg
12-14-2011, 12:53 AM
No-brainer for us. Why would Philly do that?
Doug Collins hates Speights, they want to dump him the same way we want to dump Rush. They lost Kapono and it's up in the air if they keep Nocioni, they could use a bit of wing depth. One he could use a change of scenery for another.

Pacemaker
12-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Dalembert is proven plus he can really can play "D" !!

CableKC
12-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Foster was not asked to play 18mpg last year. OK, it came out to just under 17, but the stats don't truly indicate what happened.

12 times out of his 56 games played last year, he was asked to play significantly longer minutes mostly b/c of Roy's foul trouble (in two games he had to play about 29-30 minutes), so these games greatly skewed his average.

Remember that he was not rushed back last season by JOB. He didn't play the first few games as he was still at the end of rehabbing from last season. He played two games, perhaps even then too soon, the second one being against Dwight, replacing Hibbert (foul trouble), then missed about two weeks when he sought treatment in Boston, but from then on, he did not miss significant time except a rest here or there.

There is a risk for any player to miss significant games, and a legit reason to have good back ups at each position, but to relegate Foster automatically to Solo status without good reason seems silly and is at best premature. Very few "emergency bigs" can light up the glass like he did several times last season. I remember him coming in at least twice last season and playing like a man possessed, grabbing 6-7 rebounds in his 6-7 minute initial stints. Play him smart and he should be durable. By the way, he played significant minutes the very next game after facing Dwight later in the season.
My whole point is that whoever backs up Hibbert will have to play between 16 to 20 mpg on a nightly basis.....I don't think that foster can play that many minutes a night for 66 games.

McKeyFan
12-14-2011, 07:42 AM

Do unto others . . .

Pacerized
12-14-2011, 10:23 AM
We're simply too small in the front court other then Roy and he isn't a strong rebounder. Adding West to the mix will help with scoring but we'll be in the bottom half of the league for rebounding. We need a traditional big man who plays in the paint. If's he's good enough to take minutes any of our other bigs then so be it, that's not a bad thing.
I'd like to see us make a run at a Kaman trade. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but Bird has shown that he's in the drivers seat when it comes to trades. I'd offer Rush or Jones and a second to see if they bite. We'd be helping them with Cap room and still not hurting ourselfs to make another move this year. Kamans contract is over this season so it's not a gamble.

Justin Tyme
12-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Doug Collins hates Speights, they want to dump him the same way we want to dump Rush. They lost Kapono and it's up in the air if they keep Nocioni, they could use a bit of wing depth. One he could use a change of scenery for another.

He's young, big, plays C/PF, has talent, and is on a rookie contract. Plus we could get rid of Rush. What more is needed?

2nd thought everytime Bird trys to trade Rush the deal fails, so offer them a 2nd rounder and Cap.

Speaking of Rush, could Denver use him for a far far away 2nd and Cap?

Justin Tyme
12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
My whole point is that whoever backs up Hibbert will have to play between 16 to 20 mpg on a nightly basis.....I don't think that foster can play that many minutes a night for 66 games.

Especially, backs to backs to backs and 5 games in 7 days. Foster is going to need to be rested.

Was Foster rested some on b2b's last year? Maybe, I'm thinking of another NBA player.

Justin Tyme
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
We're simply too small in the front court other then Roy and he isn't a strong rebounder. Adding West to the mix will help with scoring but we'll be in the bottom half of the league for rebounding. We need a traditional big man who plays in the paint. If's he's good enough to take minutes any of our other bigs then so be it, that's not a bad thing.
I'd like to see us make a run at a Kaman trade. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but Bird has shown that he's in the drivers seat when it comes to trades. I'd offer Rush or Jones and a second to see if they bite. We'd be helping them with Cap room and still not hurting ourselfs to make another move this year. Kamans contract is over this season so it's not a gamble.

I truly feel the Pacers need that 6th Big and it being a Center. I like the idea of Kaman. Just don't know if Bird could pull this trade out of his hat.

I still can't get over Kwame Brown getting 7 mil for 1 year... unbelieveable. It just absolutely boggles my mind.

P_George
12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Kwame's a good man defender. Big body, athletic, strong ... can lock down on post defense. Not much of a shot blocker or anything, but -- he does play hard and is a good asset. Maybe a bit too much, but for a one year deal for a team desperate for defense, it's not that bad of a contract.

joeyd
12-14-2011, 05:08 PM

I'm not arguing the point that we need another big. But the idea is to have Roy play more minutes this year and avoid foul trouble. Roy averaged only about 28 minutes per game but played 25 minutes or less (sometimes way way less than that) in over 25% of his games. So if Roy plays better, there is no need to have Jeff play 20 mpg. I prefer having Foster back up Roy b/c on a per minute basis, Jeff was as good or better than Roy in most statistical areas except blocks last year, and there is no reason to think Jeff will fall off this year. Even if we get a third big, unless he is better, I want Foster coming off the bench, for however many minutes Vogel thinks he can get out of Jeff on a per-night basis, adjusted for the long haul.

3 8 thee great t h
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Kwame's a good man defender. Big body, athletic, strong ... can lock down on post defense. Not much of a shot blocker or anything, but -- he does play hard and is a good asset. Maybe a bit too much, but for a one year deal for a team desperate for defense, it's not that bad of a contract.

He also signed with the warriors!