PDA

View Full Version : Could we make a run at CP3?

Anthem
12-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm not a pie-in-the-sky guy, usually, but I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of pursuing CP3 right now. Let's assume for a moment that we can land the McRoberts-for-Mayo trade (which seems very possible at this point). Here's our 10-man rotation:

Roy - Foster
West - Tyler
Granger - Jones
George - Mayo
Collison - Hill

Right now guys like Rush, Stephenson, and Price aren't even in the rotation. We could take Okafor's brutal contract off their hands, as well.

Tyler / Collison / Rush / Pick / Posey for CP3 and Okafor.

Would they take that deal? Could they get a better one?

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:16 PM
if about 10-12 other NBA teams all pulled out of the Chirs Paul sweepstakes... I'd give that offer zero chance of being accepted.

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 06:18 PM
We'd have to give up more than what you'd want to lose, but yeah we could put a very competitive deal out for him.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
If Indy put Granger, Tyler, Collison and a pick on the table, that would be a legit competitive offer.

Obviously, if Paul won't agree to an extension with Indy beforehand, they won't make that offer, which is why I don't even think they will bother trying.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Like trader Joe said I think is possible that we are getting as many pieces as possible to make a trade for somebody, having this many pieces don't make much sense.

Major Cold
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
We would have to include Mayo/Collison/Tyler/Rush and 2 future 1sts

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
...you can't trade mayo for a long time ina package deal.

rexnom
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
It would all depend on whether Paul would sign an extension or not.

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
We could probably put a more competitive deal together for Howard than Paul, honestly.

But what Kstat said, we aren't going to gamble everything on whether or not they'd actually stick around.

Mackey_Rose
You can't get either Paul or Rondo without including at least one of Granger/George/Hibbert.

If you're the Pacers, you prefer to move Granger, but if you're the Hornets, you'd rather have either of the other two.

Kstat
It would all depend on whether Paul would sign an extension or not.

Exactly. This is a non-starter unless Paul says he's willing to stay in indiana.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 06:24 PM
...you can't trade mayo for a long time ina package deal.
Right.

I know CP3's worth more than the offer I quoted, but I'm still not certain his selling price will be more than that.

Kstat
The Hornets will want Granger, for the hometown factor.

Aw Heck
Paul isn't signing an extension here. Otherwise we'd hear about the Pacers going after him.

Try to revive the three way with Boston? Maybe.

Major Cold
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Exactly. This is a non-starter unless Paul says he's willing to stay in indiana.

And I don't think he will.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Right.

I know CP3's worth more than the offer I quoted, but I'm still not certain his selling price will be more than that.

Stern already turned down Scola, KMart and Odom.

Granted, it wasn't for sheer talent reasons, but they will want young players at least on that level, plus picks.

If they don't get it from Indy, they will get it from someone else.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
That's a pretty stacked team we're talking about. Get paid the most money to stay on a winning team surrounded by talent (including your best friend)?

It's as strong an offer as anyone can make whose initials aren't NY or LA.

cdash
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
You can't get either Paul or Rondo without including at least one of Granger/George/Hibbert.

If you're the Pacers, you prefer to move Granger, but if you're the Hornets, you'd rather have either of the other two.

Also, if you're Chris Paul looking to sign an extension, you don't want the team you are being traded to to lose their best player.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Well the NBA wants the Hornets to get cap relief and young players, we can do that, if I was the Pacers I would offer DC+Roy+Posey+picks for CP3+Okafor, we give them the center of the future and a decent point guard in DC+cap space.

Day-V
12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I doubt it'd happen, but could you imagine the commentary nightmare we'd potentially have? Chris Paul, Paul George, George Hill. ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

"Paul passes it to Paul on the wing, throws it over to George, George throws it back over to George who hit's Paul in the corner for 3............BOOM BABY!"

Figure that one out.

CooperManning
12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I would absolutely hate to trade Paul George, but a PG + Collison + Hansbrough + 1st package would get a deal done.

Chris Paul
Mayo
Granger
West
Hibbert

Hill off the bench.

Pretty sick.

This being said, I have major doubts about CP3 re-signing and wouldn't risk losing Paul George for a 66-game superstar rental.

righteouscool
12-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I think the fact that you take on Okafor's awful contract really helps in this trade, because that's really not a lot of supreme talent to give away.

LG33
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't normally jump into these kinds of discussions, but I've got to say - Chris Paul is just not that good. He's been in the league for six years and has won only one playoff series. And it's not like he hasn't had talent around him either. In my opinion, he's not worth the trouble.

Darren Collison put up good numbers on that same team, and it seems like everybody has already soured on him here.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Well the NBA wants the Hornets to get cap relief and young players, we can do that, if I was the Pacers I would offer DC+Roy+Posey+picks for CP3+Okafor, we give them the center of the future and a decent point guard in DC+cap space.

...and you think the Laker trade got vetoed fast? That deal wouldn't even reach Stern.

The Pacers can't even pretend to make an offer for Paul without including George or Granger up front.

Heisenberg
12-11-2011, 06:33 PM
The Hornets will want Granger, for the hometown factor.
Does Danny even claim Louisiana? I know he's from there and all, but it seems like he's moved on. I don't even know if people down there care about him. I haven't ever seen a Hornets fan talk about wanting him because he's from the area.

Day-V
12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Does Danny even claim Louisiana? I know he's from there and all, but it seems like he's moved on. I don't even know if people down there care about him. I haven't ever seen a Hornets fan talk about wanting him because he's from the area.

He talks about "His" Saints alot on Twitter and he's done a few interviews regarding Katrina happening during his rookie season.....so there's that.

PaceBalls
I doubt it'd happen, but could you imagine the commentary nightmare we'd potentially have? Chris Paul, Paul George, George Hill. ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

"Paul passes it to Paul on the wing, throws it over to George, back over to Paul for 3............BOOM BABY!"

Figure that one out.

:laugh: We would just have to find some way to add Paul Milsap too. Poor Quinn would never make past the first 3 minutes of the game.

Kstat
Doesn't matter if he claims it or not. They can promote him that way.

NOLA insisted on Kevin martin in the last deal, so they clearly want an established scoring wing, even if he is a high-priced veteran.

Mackey_Rose
12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Doesn't matter if he claims it or not. They can promote him that way.

NOLA insisted on Kevin martin in the last deal, so they clearly want an established scoring wing, even if he is a high-priced veteran.

If you can get CP3 for Granger/DC/Tyler/1st it's a no-brainer. I just don't think that's enough.

Even if it's only a 66 game rental, it's worth the risk of trying to convince him to stay.

jeffg-body
12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I would have to say no thanks on this idea. He'll never re-sign here and I don't see the hype around him. Yes, he is good but I believe Rondo is a better fit. We have enough scorers on our team. Especially if we can get Mayo in the S&T that has been discussed.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I would have to say no thanks on this idea. He'll never re-sign here and I don't see the hype around him.

To put it bluntly, he's the best pure point guard of his generation, as well as one of the most exciting.

I'm a big fan of Rondo, but Paul is a future hall of famer. There is no team in the NBA where Paul would be a bad "fit."

Paul is every bit as capable of scoring 30 and dishing 10 assists as he is scoring 10 points and dishing out 20 assists. He's that good.

Mackey_Rose
12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
To put it bluntly, he's the best pure point guard of his generation, as well as one of the most exciting.

I'm a big fan of Rondo, but Paul is a future hall of famer.

Rondo is great. Paul is the best.

Scot Pollard would love him. You want to fill the seats for 33 games? You rent CP3, and then worry about him not re-signing later.

PR07
12-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Only way we'd be smart to make that kind of move is if we truly think we could win it all with Paul. I still think we'd be a tad away.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't want to further this impossible dream more, but Paul would sell more seats in Indiana by himself than any Pacer ever. Not only is he really good, but people love to watch him play. The Hornets fans did too, until their economy took a worse turn.

BRushWithDeath
12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't normally jump into these kinds of discussions, but I've got to say - Chris Paul is just not that good.

You shouldn't have jumped in.

Day-V
You want to fill the seats for 33 games? You rent CP3, and then worry about him not re-signing later.

Or, you just continue to win with the young, deep team you have and not even have to worry about trading away a bunch of young pieces for a guy who very possibly will leave for New York in July.

Aw Heck
Who would have the cap space to steal him away after this season?

Boston would, but he wouldn't want to go there. Anybody know of anyone else?

If Paul really wanted to escape, we could always send him away in a sign-and-trade to a team that's over the cap.

And if we let him go, we have cap space again. Hmm..

Still too big of a risk, IMO. You spend all this time just getting to Collison/George/Granger/West/Hibbert. I'd hate to go back to lotto-land just for a 66-game rental.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Who would have the cap space to steal him away after this season?

The Clippers and the Lakers, if they trade Gasol and Bynum for Howard.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
BTW, if needs to be noted that if the Clippers want Paul, they are going to get him. They have more assets to offer than anyone, including Indiana.

Aw Heck
12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
The Clippers and the Lakers, if they trade Gasol and Bynum for Howard.
If that's the case, then I'd wait until the whole Howard situation plays out.

Because no matter how well the Pacers do in the East, there is no way Paul is turning down LA and the chance to team with Kobe and Howard.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
If that's the case, then I'd wait until the whole Howard situation plays out.

Because no matter how well the Pacers do in the East, there is no way Paul is turning down LA and the chance to team with Kobe and Howard.

It should be noted that the cap space would only open up if Howard doesn't sign an extension, and even then they would basically have to choose between Howard and Paul, unless they amnesty Kobe, which would be hilarious.

The Clippers remain a serious threat to both trade for Paul, or sign him next summer.

Aw Heck
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
If you trade for Paul, you better win the title this June. Otherwise he's leaving for LA. Clippers or Lakers.

Put me in the "don't go after CP3 camp."

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
unless they amnesty Kobe, which would be hilarious.

It should be noted that I'd **** myself.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
It would be a great business move on their part. Don't see it happening.

The chances of the Lakers getting Paul next summer pretty much die if they get Howard. They simply won't have enough cap space, even if they amnesty World Peace.

RLeWorm
12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
as much as i want CP3 its going to cost a lot. If him and Howard was actually about winning they would come here. This team is so Stacked!!!!!!!!!

Trader Joe
12-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Would getting Mayo and Jamaal Crawford make Paul George expendable in a Chris Paul deal? That's the question you need to be asking yourself.

And that might be the question Larry Bird is asking himself right now.

speakout4
12-11-2011, 07:14 PM
As much as we would all like to see Paul here getting him for a season and giving up what would have to satisfy the NBA owners to get him would just put us back into a new 5 year plan.

If Paul signs an extension then yes mortgage the entire team to get him. I can't see Simon buying into this scenario.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
If the Clips are offering EJ, then yeah. We're not beating that deal.

But if they were offering EJ, they'd already have completed the deal.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 07:20 PM
No, but they also have Minnesota's unprotected first round pick next summer. They wouldn't even need to offer EJ, though I agree if they did he'd be a Clipper already.

LA's 2014 pick, Minnesota's 2012 pick, Kaman, Aminu and Bledsoe still beats %99 of the offers NOLA will get for CP3.

Day-V
12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
If the Clips are offering EJ, then yeah. We're not beating that deal.

But if they were offering EJ, they'd already have completed the deal.

I don't know how long you've had that status, but I must say that it is simply fantastic and I completely agree with that sentiment.

Anthem
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
No, but they also have Minnesota's unprotected first round pick next summer. They wouldn't even need to offer EJ, though I agree if they did he'd be a Clipper already.

LA's 2014 pick, Minnesota's 2012 pick, Kaman, Aminu and Bledsoe still beats %99 of the offers NOLA will get for CP3.
LA's 2014 will be awful, but I agree that's a better deal than I proposed.

Why haven't they offered it yet?

Kstat
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
LA's 2014 will be awful, but I agree that's a better deal than I proposed.

Why haven't they offered it yet?

I'm sure they have. It isn't a deal you jump on, though, unless you've seen all offers.

daschysta
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
If he's all about winning we could certainly field a contender with him on the team.

Giving up some youth, even george, would be a no brainer if you have the chance to land a once in a generation talent at point guard like Paul. when healthy he's easily the best point in the NBA, even including Deron Williams.

Assuming you could entice NO with Paul George/ Collison/ Rush/ 2012 pick I wouldn't make such a trade for Rondo, but Paul is a universe better than rondo, he can do it all, carry a team with his own offense, or get 20 assists...

That's if you think he resigns with us though.

Paul
Hill/ Mayo
Granger
West
Hibbert

Would easily be contenders for a title. A core of Paul/West/ Okafor was a 50 plus win team in the brutal west, a Paul/Granger/West/ Hibbert core would be superior to that one, and if we landed mayo, which looks likely we'd still have a very good sixth man int he form of one of those two plus hansbrough. Such a team could push 60 wins.

I wouldn't do it for just 66 games though, or at least i'd have to think very hard about it. I'd feel pretty sour if Paul walked after this season and George blew up into a star for New Orleans.

We'd be able to absorb salary, make the taem more attractive to a buyer, and a plus is that Stern seems very wary of appearing to hand big market teams anything fromt he league owned hornets, Pacers being able to land someone like Chris Paul would be good PR for the league in the aftermath of the lockout, as opposed to all the superstars still demanding trades to big markets and getting what they want.

Pacer Fan
12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
In story w/@Chris_Broussard, sources tell ESPN that Clips would part w/either Gordon or Wolves 2012 pick IF @CP3 opts in for 2012-13 season
http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

Aw Heck
12-11-2011, 08:41 PM
In story w/@Chris_Broussard, sources tell ESPN that Clips would part w/either Gordon or Wolves 2012 pick IF @CP3 opts in for 2012-13 season
http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine
There you have it. Chris Paul will be a Clipper.

I can't imagine him not opting for an extra year. If he really wants to get out of NO, he will.

Pacer Fan
12-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Deal w/LAL & HOU enables league-owned Hornets to stay competitive now. Deal w/Clippers is more along lines of what NBA wants: Youth/picks

Mo Williams did same in Baron trade. Clips know CP3 won't do extension but merely opting in for 2012-13 lets LAC know they'd have two years