PDA

View Full Version : David West has agreed to a 2 year, $20 million deal with Pacer

Pages : [1] 2

Pacemaker
12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
David West has agreed to a 2 year, $20 million deal with Pacers, league source tells Y.

ECKrueger
12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I am excited something finally happened. I think this will be good.

Doddage
12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Awesome! Great deal for us.

LucasRL13
12-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Well done Larry

COME ON PACERS
(Portuguese Fan)

TheDon
http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/204/422/204422/original.jpg

billbradley
pick n pop all day

Pacemaker
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Pacers have agreed to a 2-year, $20 million deal w West, source confirms

PG-24
12-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Nice deal. I was worried wed overpay and give him a 5 year deal

Pacemaker
12-11-2011, 03:05 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
David West's agent: "David looks at the Pacers as a good young team with lot of potential."

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 03:06 PM
And to think that I've waited five years for "this great signing" :censored:

RLeWorm
all we need is OJ Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel33
BOOM BABY!

Wilk39
I didn't want David West at all, but for two years, why not?

Pretty good deal for us. Now go get Mayo!

Sandman21
12-11-2011, 03:07 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
It turns out Jermaine O'Neal helped his former team land David West.
35 seconds ago

PaceBalls
No more whining allowed about how we are just letting all this cap room go to waste and never do anything :p

I wasn't too thrilled about DWest, I thought he would be another Troy Murphy on D. I was concerned about his knee and age, but two years is ok for a gamble.

I won't make anymore Murphy comparisons or be overly critical until at least 2 months has passed. :)

I hope he is awesome for us!

Pacemaker
daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Agent Lance Young confirms David West agrees with Indiana on two-year, $20 million deal: "David is ready to help them win a championship."

Kuq_e_Zi91
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Pacer fans *still* blame JO.

Welcome to Indy, David West. Bird did a great job of staying patient.

I'm excited. Now let's get Mayo!

Sandman21
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Great signing for Larry Bird, who has a deep, versatile frontline and huge grown up presence for locker room. West's a total pro and winner.
4 seconds ago

Peck
12-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Not my first choice but overall a two year deal is really not anything we can complain about. He either helps us out for his two years here or next season he becomes one killer ending contract that some team needing to add talent to get to the next level.

I Just hope he doesn't take away to many min. from Tyler. Now we still have to worry about a backup for Roy.

Sollozzo
12-11-2011, 03:09 PM

What were you expecting? We've known for years that this FA class wasn't the most stacked one ever.

We just got a heck of a bargain I think.

purdue101
12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Danny expires when George needs an extension and West will expire when Hansbrough is due. Larry/Morway are really maintaining our flexibility and young players while upgrading the roster. Great move. Almost zero risk.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Good deal.

I'm sure there will be some pissing and moaning among some on here, but who cares?

I think most of us are pretty pleased, nonetheless. Again, reasonable deal and hopefully he'll be as good as he was before the injury.

He sounds like he's fine and that's not bothering him. The PF rotation between he and Tyler will be fun to see. Both will probably split the minutes equally and Jeff will still be a key guy for us.

WELCOME ABOARD DAVID!

MaHa3000
Collison is happy I'm sure.

RLeWorm
so our current lineup looks like this:
Collison/Hill/Stephenson/Price
George/Hill
Granger/Jones
West/Hansbrough/Pendegraph
Hibbert/Foster

So if we add Mayo who do we trade? I don't wanna see Lance on the bench all season long again

BlueNGold
As long as his knee is ok, he's an upgrade over McRoberts. Also, he will probably start over Tyler. But he's not a PF that will help you contend. He doesn't have the size nor is he a good defender. He blocks very few shots and plays soft D. But he can score in bunches and will probably be our best PF.

purdue101

Dude, Dwight Howard is NEVER going to sign in Indy. This is a bargain.

RLeWorm
George/Hill
Granger/Jones
Hibbert/Foster

So if we add Mayo who do we trade? I don't wanna see Lance on the bench all season long again

Anthem
How do Bird rights work in the new CBA? Is this contract long enough to establish them?

Sherlock
12-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Great job done, Larry.
Next, Jcross!

RLeWorm
12-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Dude, Dwight Howard is NEVER going to sign in Indy. This is a bargain.

Its worth a shot of at least going after him.

Peck

I feel ya, however the Nene thing was not going to happen. He is to much in play around the NBA.

The West deal is small enough that in the grand scheme of things it can't hurt and can only help.

Like you I didn't want him, but I never thought we could get this short of a contract out of him either. I was very afraid it was going to be a 4 or 5 year deal.

I know and understand why you don't like it, but in all honesty it probably enhances us to improve our team next summer if it doesn't improve us this season on the court.

Pacemaker
Smart and conscious move from Larry !! It takes in consideration West's recent injury plus it doesn't hinders future plans concerning salary or re-signing our young core !!

yoadknux
I was hoping we could aim higher. But an upgrade is an upgrade and he's on a great contract, so why not.

Pacerized
12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I'll take West if he's all we can get, but I hope Bird knows for a fact that we won't be getting Nene, and has looked at all feasible trade options before signing West. As of now this is just a tweet with no official word, I'm hoping there is still time to do better.
A healthy West is a good player, but to be really effective he needs to play next to Mutumbo type center not Roy.
We need a 4 capable of defending the post, who scores most of his points in the post, and rebounds. West is none of those things, he's actually the opposite of those things. If it really goes down, I'm glad it's only for 2 years and hope we find a better fit by trading him next season.

notque
Fan Freakin Tastic!

Let's go get Mayo!

Aw Heck
Its worth a shot of at least going after him.
Okay.

Larry: Dwight, if the Pacers traded for you, would you be willing to sign a long-term extension to stay past this season?
Dwight: Nope. I'm going to play with Deron or Kobe.

That's it.

Eleazar
At least it is only a 2 year deal. $10 mil a year is still too much.

Day-V

You live a very unhappy life, don't you? How can you not be at least a little pumped about this? Not saying this guy is our solution to the PF spot, but he brings great depth, is excited about being here, and has a very cap-friendly contract.

This is a SOLID signing by Bird. Especially with a weak FA class.

Ownagedood
12-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Time to get on 2K and put West in a Pacers Uni. :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Scot Pollard
I didn't want David West at all, but for two years, why not?

Pretty good deal for us. Now go get Mayo!

:iagree: 100%.

LucasRL13
daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Agent Lance Young confirms David West agrees with Indiana on two-year, $20 million deal: "David is ready to help them win a championship."

:dance:

RLeWorm
12-11-2011, 03:16 PM
David West is going to live up to expectations i know it!

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
I wonder what number he'll wear since he can't wear George McGinnis' #30.

naptownmenace
Good, solid signing of a good solid player. There's one thing I like about his knee injury... He got injured dunking the ball for an and-1.

He's aggressive on offense and a good teammate. He sets awesome screens and is a good shooter and finisher.

pacer4ever
How do Bird rights work in the new CBA? Is this contract long enough to establish them?

i thought the player had to be on a team for 3 years to get full bird rights. If that's the case still we can deal him at the trade deadline of the 2nd year if we cant keep him moving forward.

Pacersalltheway10
12-11-2011, 03:18 PM
THANK YOU JO.

neosmndrew
At least it is only a 2 year deal. $10 mil a year is still too much.

We had to spend $10 mil more this year to meet minimum salary requirements. I'd rather have 1 good player than 3 fillers.

Scot Pollard
:dance:

That's great optimism.

I look forward to seeing him.

Pacersalltheway10
George/Hill
Granger/Jones
Hibbert/Foster

We trade D. Jones.

imawhat
Great job Pacers! Glad we were patient. We have a clearly defined second best player now and a veteran presence on a short deal.

BlueNGold
12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
He better convince his buddy CP3 to come to Indy if he wants a championship. CP3 is the kind of guy, given the right complementary pieces, who has the talent it takes.

Pacemaker
So Finally !! Now our Indiana Pacers improve to having 2 "All-Stars" on their roster !! Much needed help coming our way !

Shade
Really can't complain about getting West at that price.

Great move. :thumbsup:

Kstat
12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Very fair deal for Indiana. West gets paid, and the Pacers keep long term flexibility.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I feel ya, however the Nene thing was not going to happen. He is to much in play around the NBA.

The West deal is small enough that in the grand scheme of things it can't hurt and can only help.

Like you I didn't want him, but I never thought we could get this short of a contract out of him either. I was very afraid it was going to be a 4 or 5 year deal.

I know and understand why you don't like it, but in all honesty it probably enhances us to improve our team next summer if it doesn't improve us this season on the court.

I understand what you are telling me here, I really hope I'm wrong but all I see is a guy who is not going to be able to play D and is going to shoot jump shots, pretty much what he had two years ago, we are going from "smash mouth basketball" to "please smash me in the mouth baskeball" :pissed:

Lance George
12-11-2011, 03:23 PM
West is an excellent player; right near the top of the second-tier power forwards, and he's coming off an excellent season (career high 20.4 PER). My biggest issue with him was his age, but a 2/$20M is very reasonable, if not a bargain, with no long-term commitment.

Great signing.

Pacerfan
12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
"David West to the Pacers" is now trending on Twitter :)

Pacemaker
12-11-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/12/david-west-signs-with-the-pacers-for-two-years-20-million/

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/David-West-Indiana-Pacers.jpg

David West Signs With the Pacers for Two Years, $20 Million

by Jared Wade

Larry Bird has waited. And waited. And waited. All the Chris Paul and Dwight Howard drama has dominated the lime light. Guys like Tyson Chandler, Thaddeus Young and Andre Jordan have gone to other, more aggressive bidders. Nene and Jamal Crawford have been wined and dined by others.

And Bird just sat there watching from the sidelines.

Until now ó when David West, who was unable to find a team willing to give him a longer contract for the salary he demanded, fell into his lap. The Pacers just got a near-All-Star forward who was a marquee free agent to sign an unheard-of two-year deal. At a reasonable salary.

This is the critical, savvy, beneficial aspect of the signing by Larry Bird. Itís just an unbelievable deal for a team in the position that the Pacers are in. Any GM, regardless of his geography or current roster makeup, can get some free agent by throwing around piles of money. But Bird refused to play by anyone elseís terms, sticking to his guns about not overspending just to make an acquisition that would generate positive headlines. He wanted to make sure the deal made sense for the Pacers both in 2012 and 2014.

When free agency began, it seemed a distinct possibility the team that signed David West would be signing either get a great bargain or future albatross. People expected West to get a deal around $40 million over four years. And since he is coming off a major knee injury, that would either be entirely reasonable or a huge mistake. It would be one ó but couldnít be both. Somehow, Larry Bird, by signing West for $20 million over twos years, added a third possibility. He split the difference. And while West might not bounce back to his old self, this should always be considered a good signing.

Now the team is cluttered with good to excellent players on reasonable contracts.

There isnít another team in the league that can claim that.

Heisenberg
Houston's going to give Gasol a max offer. That's crazy for one thing. But also, if Memphis will match anything like they say, that makes a Mayo/McBob S&T deal pretty likely.

Unless paying Gasol that much just takes them out of getting anyone at all.

Ratking
This is great. Low risk signing, high reward. Could prove to be the best FA signing in Pacers history.

Kstat
West's health is always minute-to-minute, but when healthy, he's a top-shelf PF.

purdue101
I understand what you are telling me here, I really hope I'm wrong but all I see is a guy who is not going to be able to play D and is going to shoot jump shots, pretty much what he had two years ago, we are going from "smash mouth basketball" to "please smash me in the mouth baskeball" :pissed:

David West is a very tough player. Think Hansbrough with a killer jump shot.

Willbo
12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
So we beat out Boston to signing an All-Star... Wonder if their fans are griping about how the league is skewed to the small market teams.

Whilst not the perfect fit for Roy, West is a quality, quality basketballer who instantly becomes our 2nd best player and makes Collison a far better PG. In addition to being a terrific locker room guy and veteran leader. Yes rebounding and shot blocking would have been nice - but this is a very very welcome consolation.

Dr. Awesome
12-11-2011, 03:28 PM

I've waited three years for you to not complain about every little thing...

Hopefully we each get our wish soon.

Haywoode Workman
I was so in love with Nene, but this is a great consolation. I think a lot of you guys are vastly underrating david west. The dude's an all-star, has deep playoff experience, and scores really well. He's also not a horrible rebounder, and an average defender. he's definitely no troy murphy so get outta here with that ****.

Pacer Fan
Great Job Pacers FO....Next Move Plz!

Welcome to the Indiana Pacers, David West!

Brad8888
12-11-2011, 03:29 PM
So, who will get the ball to West in any kind of position to shoot? Hibbert?

Also, who will protect Hibbert on defense, or play any next to him? Hill and George can only do so much on the perimeter, assuming that Hill is our point guard so Danny can still be on the floor. Otherwise, Paul George can only do so much by himself.

Oh, well. There must be some reason that the Pacers did this besides feeling the need to do something prior to the season.

Maybe they will take another spin on the Harrington train? He has had ACL problems, doesn't defend, can pick and pop, and can shoot the midrange out to beyond the arc.

purdue101
12-11-2011, 03:29 PM
David Locke: Pacers could end day Collison, Hill, Mayo, Granger, West, Hibbert, Hansborough. Nice group. Strong work by Morway and Bird now

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1gGAyDA9y

ksuttonjr76
12-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Reflecting on a past discussion where someone told me that players NEVER sign for 2-year agreements....hmmmmm....who was that person?

Also and IF David West returns to All-Star form, my heart goes out to the 2nd units of the NBA when they have to contend with Psycho T.

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
EricPincus Eric Pincus
Called West to Pacers like 6 months ago - made all the sense in the world knowing David's personality

David at the Pacer game this past year had tons of people there for him probably played a part.

Bill Ingram: David West had better offers, but the Pacers presented him with the best chance to win - 2 years, $20 million. 2 minutes ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1gGCdMeyx

wow love that 2nd one took less to come to Indy wow

2minutes twoa
12-11-2011, 03:33 PM

O can't wait to see your posts after his first 20-10 game! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.061459,-85.533807

I Love P
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I recruited the hell out of West over the summer when I ran into him in Vegas. I told him I'd see him at Conseco next season as he walked away. He smiled.

Sandman21
MikePradaSBN Mike Prada
If Indiana is able to trade for O.J. Mayo -- Collison/George/Granger/West/Hibbert, with Mayo, Hands Bro, George Hill leading your 2nd unit

8pts9secs Jared Wade
RT @MikePradaSBN: That's a team that immediately goes high on my league pass watch list
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Pacerfan
Bill Ingram: David West had better offers, but the Pacers presented him with the best chance to win - 2 years, $20 million

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1gGCqiwzG

So he really wants to be here...it wasn't about the money. I'll take a player who wants to be here over someone who just wants money any day of the week.

MrSparko
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Love it. Find a point guard that can be relied to be of starter quality every game and this team is in at least ECF contention. Collison could of course still grow into that role I suppose.

Trader Joe
12-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Brilliant deal for the Pacers.

CableKC
We trade D. Jones.
I think that it will be BRush this season....not Inferno.....if we need to clear a roster space.

Mainly for PR reasons....such as his recent tweets and other 'habits'......and clearly the FO has been looking to move him for the longest time.

MaHa3000
West has been teamed with Okafor and Chandler. two good rebounders. How do we know that he won't be consistent double double guy next to Roy?

Since86
12-11-2011, 03:40 PM
So, who will get the ball to West in any kind of position to shoot? Hibbert?

Who do you think DC was passing too when he played for the Hornets and was filling in for CP3, and put up monster numbers giving the impression he would be a good starter, and which is why the Pacers went after him?

I'm sure DC's success with West had atleast some part of the decision.

Miller-Time
Yeehaaaw, we are back. Great great signing!

pacer4ever
Love it. Find a point guard that can be relied to be of starter quality every game and this team is in at least ECF contention. Collison could of course still grow into that role I suppose.

DC will benefit from playing with West. David is the best PnP/PnR big we have had he will help the pg's a lot. Lance and Dwest should be fun to watch in the PnP.

Trader Joe
12-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Also, to me it is pretty clear that we are still stockpiling assets in hopes to eventually make a trade for a "superstar". This will be even more clear if we sign Crawford and then trade McRoberts for Mayo. Since apparently ATL will not do a S&T with the Knicks.

SkipperZ
12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
WOW... I was in the camp of not wanting West but I was certain we'd have to give him 5 years for him to come over. This is actually the PERFECT move. Id rather have West for 2/20 than Nene for 5/60 anyday.

If we get Mayo for McR and a pick, I say we can be the deepest team in the East with a bit of improvement from our young guys

Legendary
12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Great signing!!

flox
12-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Who do you think DC was passing too when he played for the Hornets and was filling in for CP3, and put up monster numbers giving the impression he would be a good starter, and which is why the Pacers went after him?

Marcus Thornton.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I Just hope he doesn't take away to many min. from Tyler. Now we still have to worry about a backup for Roy.

For this season it's Jeff, but we'll have to seek options when the time comes for Jeff to retire.

Pacemaker
12-11-2011, 03:49 PM
8pts9secs Jared Wade
West's agent: "Four years." Pawn Stars GM: "I'm thinking two." Agent: "How about three?" PS GM: "How about one?" Agent: "Ok, two years."

LOL !!!! :D

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:50 PM
David at the Pacer game this past year had tons of people there for him probably played a part.

wow love that 2nd one took less to come to Indy wow

That makes me happy how he feels we have the best chance to win.

He's a great guy for us. Sounds like a great person, he's a veteran, and will fit the bill for starting PF next to Roy in a rotation with Tyler.

I'm more excited than ever right now.

docpaul
12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow. I have to say that I am really impressed on this one.

Two-time all-star, at a position of need, for a two year contract?

I can't imagine anyone being in "love" with D. West, but when playing a team game, this guy is a consummate "cog" in any team dynamic. We will continue to lack beefcake in the front court, but we will continue to climb the Eastern conference ladder with this signing.

Growth of our current players, and the addition of G. Hill and D. West, two professionals, I'm liking what I'm seeing... for sure. I still think we need a solid 2/3, though.

I also think we have to wave bye-bye to a Millsap trade at this point, which is sad.

Peck
For this season it's Jeff, but we'll have to seek options when the time comes for Jeff to retire.

Jeff can only go for so many min & God forbid but what if Roy rolls an ankle or something. I don't know enough about Pendegraph to feel comfortable with him taking on high min.

PaceBalls
I was so in love with Nene, but this is a great consolation. I think a lot of you guys are vastly underrating david west. The dude's an all-star, has deep playoff experience, and scores really well. He's also not a horrible rebounder, and an average defender. he's definitely no troy murphy so get outta here with that ****.

:laugh:

I promise I will be totally unbiased and open minded :)

The more I think about it, I really like this deal. Low risk, high reward.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Marcus Thornton.

:rolleyes:

Young
David West was not the guy I wanted the Pacers to go after because he can't play center and this likely takes some minutes away from Tyler and I was expecting him to get more than 2 years.

At 2 years and 10 million each this is a fairly low risk move and overall he is a good fit for the Pacers. He will bring some much needed scoring and rebounding. Smart move by the front office.

David West, welcome to Indiana!

Pacemaker
TimDonahue8p9s Tim Donahue
@8pts9secs How did Bird get West for 2 years? Perhaps, "I'm Larry ****ing Bird" occasionally works.

LOL !!! :D:dance::D

Since86
Marcus Thornton.

Yes, one player dominated all of DC's assists.....

It was also about the type of offensive system that will be ran. You play to your players strengths. In NOH, it was a PnP offense, and Collison excelled at running it. He does a pretty good job with Hansborough, considering Tyler's troubles at actually setting the screen, and knocking down the jump shot.

If you want DC to turn into the player you thought he could, when you were evaluating him prior to the trade, you put him in a position to be successful.

They know he can successfully run a PnP offense. This is a move that has helping DC written all over it.

EDIT: And when I say he runs it pretty with with Tyler, I mean he delivers the pass on time, and on target. He's a good jumpshooter, so he's a threat coming off the screen, and he has the ability to find the open man if he drives.

It's not smash mouth basketball, but have different options, and good options, are always pluses. Diversity is a good thing.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Jeff can only go for so many min & God forbid but what if Roy rolls an ankle or something. I don't know enough about Pendegraph to feel comfortable with him taking on high min.

I think Roy will be more reliable this season to be given more minutes, but you're right we need a third string center just to have.

Jeff P seems to be our end of the bench PF. Not really a center, but we'll see.

Can't hurt to just add a third center just to have on the bench.

Pacemaker
12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
8pts9secs Jared Wade
Prediction for BIrd's first press conference comment: "You gonna get off my *** now, @MikeWellsNBA?"

:devil:

BringJackBack
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I also think we have to wave bye-bye to a Millsap trade at this point, which is sad.

Ehhh, Utah has no reason to trade Milsap anyway.

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
To be accurate, Boston had a sign-and-trade with New Orleans for David West ready to do. West wanted more money annually, took Pacers offer.

wow he choose us over Boston that amazes me lol

imawhat
12-11-2011, 03:58 PM

I don't know about minutes but I can say that Pendergraph is a guy that plays bigger than his size. I think he's 6'10" but he's definitely a center in my opinion.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 03:58 PM

I like him already.

HC
12-11-2011, 03:59 PM

amazing...and freaking awesome!!! Wonder what the next conversation between Danny and Larry will be about.

Gamble1
12-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Finally!

This was the only decent pf we could get imo and I had no idea he would take a 2 year contract. For those who want milsap or josh smith it willl have to wait 2 years and by then we should be able to make a deal for them. I am really happy that we got a veteran and a good locker room player.

Pacersalltheway10
Collison's assist numbers will certainly go up this year.

Heisenberg
amazing...and freaking awesome!!! Wonder what the next conversation between Danny and Larry will be about.
Larry: Wanna catch a movie? -pops movie into last VCR on Earth-
Danny: Larry, this is clips from my first two years. And it's all defense.
Larry: Right.

ksuttonjr76
If they acquire Mayo, we would have...

Collison/Hill
George/Mayo
Granger/?
West/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Foster

From there we have Rush, D. Jones, and Stephenson. I wonder if would we able to get Rudy Gay if they decide to amensty him? That would gives us another starting 5 on the bench.

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 04:02 PM
it should be stated though he would of left some money on the table if he went to Boston. He will likely get one last pay day for at least MLE type money after this deal. But still surprised he didnt take Boston's offer.

PR07
12-11-2011, 04:03 PM
The fact that it's only for two years makes it a great deal. West could've lost all of his explosiveness, and he'd essentially just be a large expiring at our disposal for next season.

beast23
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
DC will benefit from playing with West. David is the best PnP/PnR big we have had he will help the pg's a lot. Lance and Dwest should be fun to watch in the PnP.
Well, Lance is still wet behind the ears and has a lot to learn about being a fundamentalist PG, let alone mastering the PnR/PnP.

However, DC is probably among the happier PGs in the league right now, knowing that a player is being brought in to enable him to play off one of his greater strengths.

Pacer Fan
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Wonder if David can talk CP3 into coming here. I know it's a dream, but it's a good one. :)

MaHa3000
12-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't know about minutes but I can say that Pendergraph is a guy that plays bigger than his size. I think he's 6'10" but he's definitely a center in my opinion.

I hope you're right about Pendergraph. I now nothing about him. But If he can play both PF/C in a backup compacity, then that was a very good signing as well.

Freddie fan

Yes, I think the Pacers need one more 6'10" or taller C or C/PF on the roster. Foster, of course, has been injured A LOT the past couple of years or so. The chances that either he or Hibbert will miss some games are pretty decent, unfortunately. Or even when one of them gets in foul trouble, there really aren't any others on the roster who can adequately play the 5 right now, are there?

Heisenberg
We got West and an old high school teammate of his. DC's probably doing cartwheels.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:06 PM
OK so now that we have David West(even if I don't like the deal :mad:) I have a serious question, who is going to start at power forward now? Tyler or West?

starting unit 1:

DC,PG,Danny,Tyler,Roy? or

starting unit 2: DC,PG,Danny,West,Roy?

trs72
12-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Seems like a pretty good move and safe one at that. With West and Tyler splitting time at PF is not a bad thing.

Since86
It's not even a question. David West.

Trader Joe
OK so now that we have David West(even if I don't like the deal :mad:) I have a serious question, who is going to start at power forward now? Tyler or West?

starting unit 1:

:laugh:

Heisenberg
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
West was "excited that Jeff Foster re-signed with them." Saying all the right things already.

PR07
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
West will be the starter if he's anything close to the player he was before the knee injury.

HC
12-11-2011, 04:10 PM
We got West and an old high school teammate of his. DC's probably doing cartwheels.

High school teammate and childhood friend!

righteouscool

starting unit 1:

You can't be serious. West is much better than Tyler.

PaulGeorge
Peanut butter jelly time!http://files.myopera.com/Nerak/albums/270952/BrianTheDog.gif

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I think Roy will be more reliable this season to be given more minutes, but you're right we need a third string center just to have.

Jeff P seems to be our end of the bench PF. Not really a center, but we'll see.

Can't hurt to just add a third center just to have on the bench.

Kwame Brown please as Hibbert's B/U.

HC
West was "excited that Jeff Foster re-signed with them." Saying all the right things already.

I think the fans are really gonna like this guy.

ksuttonjr76

starting unit 1:

Personally, you would have to go with David West in the starting unit. Tyler would become the main/2nd (depends if we acquire Mayo) scoring option with second unit. Something else just popped in my mind. Tyler could get a lot of fouls with his bulldog approach which could force the opposing team to put in their starting PF soone, hence giving David West a great advantage when he returns.

Scot Pollard
You can't be serious. West is much better than Tyler.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Tyler, but West is definitely our starter.

Plus Tyler welcomes a new guy and his new probable Sixth Man role. He's still going to be huge for us.

Sollozzo
12-11-2011, 04:12 PM

starting unit 1:

West. No question about it.

Hansbrough will be a huge contributor off of the bench for us. This will be a great role for him. We should be able to give West plenty of rest throughout the season if Hans plays like he did down the stretch last year.

If we somehow pulled off this Mayo deal then our bench would have Mayo, Hans, and Hill. Our young rotation would wear teams out in this compressed season.

PacerHound
12-11-2011, 04:13 PM

starting unit 1:

I admit to being a Hansbrough fan and probably would only occasionally watch the games, rather than regularly, if not for him. That said no one can go 48 minutes a night and I have to admit I enjoyed Hansbrough and crew coming off the bench for the starters last year for a period of time there coming to their rescue on a regular basis. Time will only tell how all this works out. Hopefully we will all be happy. (P.S. I think the real question mark on this team is not Hansbrough but Hibbert.)

Sookie

Right, one of the biggest problems with our point guards last season was that both are quite good at the PnR, but had no one to run it with. They never ran it with Josh, Hibbert was bad at it, and Hans was worse. Foster could set a good Pick, but the whole scoring after he received the ball back was an issue.

I didn't want West. I think he's a bad fit next to Hibbert. And I think and old guy coming off a torn ACL means that Tyler will probably be the better player. (He may even start, and in that case, West next to Foster is actually a really good fit.) But for two years, it's not a bad deal.

I'll be interested to see what else the Pacers do. I think we need another center, because I love Foster, I just don't trust his back. The guard position is odd, I think Hill and Mayo are a little redundant. (And I'd much prefer Hill) and I'd start to worry about Paul George's minutes, but I agree with Trader Joe, if they get any more guards they are simply stockpiling for a trade.

Pacer Fan
If they acquire Mayo, we would have...

Collison/Hill
George/Mayo
Granger/?
West/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Foster

From there we have Rush, D. Jones, and Stephenson. I wonder if would we able to get Rudy Gay if they decide to amensty him? That would gives us another starting 5 on the bench.

How bout a sign & trade of Rush for Andrei Kirilenko

CooperManning
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Tyler was born to come off the bench and beat up on other backups. He'll be able to succeed much better in that role than against starters. Plus if he only plays 20ish minutes/game, he'll have enough energy to go full-force all the time.

Unclebuck
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Just seeing this now, and it must be a joke, I thought the system was broken, the nba was cooked and the pacers were doomed to never being able to sign any free agents.

HC
12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Tyler was born to come off the bench and beat up on other backups. He'll be able to succeed much better in that role than against starters. Plus if he only plays 20ish minutes/game, he'll have enough energy to go full-force all the time.

This....hopefully now our bench guys can embrace their roles instead of wondering exactly what their role is going to be from night to night.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Personally, you would have to go with David West in the starting unit. Tyler would become the main/2nd (depends if we acquire Mayo) scoring option with second unit. Something else just popped in my mind. Tyler could get a lot of fouls with his bulldog approach which could force the opposing team to put in their starting PF soone, hence giving David West a great advantage when he returns.

I understand this but how about our defense in the 1st unit? we would have DC not a good defender, Danny is just ok and West who is not a good defender either in the 1st unit.

PacersHomer
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Welcome to Indy, David! Really excited about getting a former All-Star for a 2 year/20 million contract. Pick & Pop for days.

Aw Heck
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Just seeing this now, and it must be a joke, I thought the system was broken, the nba was cooked and the pacers were doomed to never being able to sign any free agents.
No one ever said the Pacers would EVER be able to sign free agents. I mean hey, we signed Kareem Rush, Travis Diener and Dahntay Jones!

We are, though, doomed to never being able to sign superstars. A-Level guys.

B-level guys like David West? Sure.

presto123
12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the Pacers D. West. Tyler is back where he belongs coming off the bench. Not putting Tyler down but I like his energy off the bench.

Pacemaker
12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
netw3rk netw3rk
It's almost as if Bird is one of those crazy end timer guys who stockpiles food, medicine & guns only the zombie apocalypse actually happens
8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

:p

trs72
12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I admit to being a Hansbrough fan and probably would only occasionally watch the games, rather than regularly, if not for him. That said no one can go 48 minutes a night and I have to admit I enjoyed Hansbrough and crew coming off the bench for the starters last year for a period of time there coming to their rescue on a regular basis. Time will only tell how all this works out. Hopefully we will all be happy. (P.S. I think the real question mark on this team is not Hansbrough but Hibbert.)

I believe this as well that Hibbert is the real ?. I like Hibbert but he has not shown that he can consistently be a force. I hope this is the year he breaks out but I am starting to think Hibbert is more talk than show. I try to give him the beneifit of doubt considering he had a idiot for a coach until O'Brien finally got fired, but he has to step it up big time this year. I afraid we were more concerned in upgrading the PF when we should have been more concerned of a upgrade at C.

vnzla81

Let's no go crazy now, the guy didn't have that many choices because of his injury.

Sookie
I understand this but how about our defense in the 1st unit? we would have DC not a good defender, Danny is just ok and West who is not a good defender either in the 1st unit.

oh dear, between Collison and whichever PF is on the floor with Hibbert, Roy is going to have to be careful to not pick up fouls quickly.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:23 PM
It's not even a question. David West.

Yeah but how about the defense? should we forget about that? again I'm asking a serious question.

cordobes
12-11-2011, 04:25 PM

To be accurate, Boston had a sign-and-trade with New Orleans for David West ready to do. West wanted more money annually, took Pacers offer.

As always, size of markets is completely irrelevant. And West actually gave up a larger overall contract with Boston.

daschysta
12-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah but how about the defense? should we forget about that? again I'm asking a serious question.

Where did you get the impression that West is some awful defender?

trs72
12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the Pacers D. West. Tyler is back where he belongs coming off the bench. Not putting Tyler down but I like his energy off the bench.

Yes, welcome D West to the Pacers, glad to have you. It would not surprise me thou to see in the end Tyler starting and West coming off the bench when its all said and done. I think it will all depend on how well West comes back from the injury. Either way Tyler/West combo is something I am excited about. Hopefully Tyler has improved his D and can be more of a force Defensively this year because that is not West is strong suit either.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
oh dear, between Collison and whichever PF is on the floor with Hibbert, Roy is going to have to be careful to not pick up fouls quickly.

That is the reason why I am asking the question, I think Tyler is a better defender in the 1st unit leaving West as our go to guy in the second unit, he could easy average like 18ppg in the second unit.

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 04:27 PM

They're about equal defenders.

Edit: West is a better shotblocker though. Still nothing more than average at that.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm pleased with this signing, especially the contract, but I'll hold my emotions in check until after he's passed his physical.

ksuttonjr76

Man...that's a scary thought.

PR07

As always, size of markets is completely irrelevant. And West actually gave up a larger overall contract with Boston.

I imagine playing time also would've been a factor too, as he'd be playing behind Kevin Garnett and likely not a starter.

pacer4ever
from a NOLA fan

ticktock6 Ticktock6
Pacers fans should know you are getting someone tough and talented and smart and totally badass. Much love from NOLA to Mr. West.

xBulletproof
12-11-2011, 04:29 PM

His name isn't Nene.

Unclebuck
12-11-2011, 04:29 PM
No one ever said the Pacers would EVER be able to sign free agents. I mean hey, we signed Kareem Rush, Travis Diener and Dahntay Jones!

B-level guys like David West? Sure.

Ok, but that is not what I read the past few days.

But this is a great deal. Downside is this does not solve our interior defensive problems, so hope Foster can give us 15 minutes a game. West defense is pretty good, but he isn't a shoblocking

West solves a lot of our offensive problems though

Speed
12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Your 2nd unit consists of a Hansbrough and Foster frontcourt, THAT will be fun!!!

BlueNGold
12-11-2011, 04:30 PM

More money the next two years probably had the most to do with it. In any event, he's not the type of superstar who is concerned about lucrative endorsements in the bigger markets. IOW, he's second tier and why we have him...

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
from a NOLA fan

ticktock6 Ticktock6
Pacers fans should know you are getting someone tough and talented and smart and totally badass. Much love from NOLA to Mr. West.

This doesn't tell me anything.

Since86
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM

And the impression that Tyler is any better.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM

He is not awful but he is not good either.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
West used to be a pretty good defender. His defense has tailed off recently due to him slowing down a bit, but he's still not terrible.

I don't see a ton of difference defensively between he and tyler. West won't take as many charges as he used to and was never a shot blocker, but he will board defensively with the best of them.

BlueNGold
12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Ok, but that is not what I read the past few days.

But this is a great deal. Downside is this does not solve our interior defensive problems, so hope Foster can give us 15 minutes a game.

West solves a lot of our offensive problems though

Agreed. He is going to help us offensively. Defensively, we didn't lose much. Maybe Malone...er Pendergraph...will keep people from dunking-and-one-ing us.

Heisenberg
Why the hell couldn't we sign that 24/12/3/3 long, lanky, athletic 4 man that defended the pick and roll well and gave 95% of his pay to charity?

gummy
This is great. I would have preferred Nene, but not at the near max he is likely to command. If West is ready to go we know he has chemistry with Collison - should be a very reliable scoring punch. If not, we're only on the hook for two years. Woot!

Next up, OJ Mayo! ;)

pacer4ever
He is not awful but he is not good either.

you basically just described Tyler. But West is much better offensively and a much smarter player and is not a black hole.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
from a NOLA fan

ticktock6 Ticktock6

That's great to hear from a fan.

vnzla81
And the impression that Tyler is any better.

Tyler was pretty damn good againts Boozer and Gibson last year.

gummy
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
It turns out Jermaine O'Neal helped his former team land David West.
35 seconds ago

Reallllly? That's interesting.

Edit: Oh, right. Because the Celtics couldn't move his contract.

CooperManning
12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Why the hell couldn't we sign that 24/12/3/3 long, lanky, athletic 4 man that defended the pick and roll well and gave 95% of his pay to charity?

Pretty sure Bender's still available.

speakout4
12-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Size of market is relevant to guys that are more high end than West so in his case you are correct that it is irrelevant. He gets more money for two years and will be a year younger in negotiating another contract so this is a better deal for him. i would like to know that his knee won't be a problem and how do we know that except under game conditions.

ksuttonjr76

Stat-wise...West average 1.0 SPG and almost 1 BPG.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=David%20West
http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Tyler%20Hansbrough

According to the bottom stats, David West is a much better defensiver player Tyler Hansbrough. To give perspective, I used the filters of 20+ games played and 15+ minutes played. David West is above average, and have defensive impacts similar to Danny Granger. Depending on the matchup...David West will give you defense in spurts.

http://www.hoopdata.com/defrebstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=%25&yr=2011&gp=20&mins=15

Pacer Fan
That is the reason why I am asking the question, I think Tyler is a better defender in the 1st unit leaving West as our go to guy in the second unit, he could easy average like 18ppg in the second unit.

I'm sure Vogel and Shaw will figure that all out. I'm just glad we got someone of significants in West. Much better then Landry, Humphries, LMAM, Evans, Hayes and others thats been chated about here.

Kegboy
12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
My only concern is West went to Xavier and Lance went to Cincy.

:shudder:

BlueNGold
12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
you basically just described Tyler. But West is much better offensively and a much smarter player and is not a black hole.

Offensively, he's very efficient and productive...so he beats Tyler right now....but some of that is experience. But a bird in the hand is better than two Tylers in a bush.

Defensively, I'd say they are about even.

Heisenberg
12-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Posey went to Xavier too, they did OK. As far as we know...

Haywoode Workman
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/D_West30

show dwest some hoosier lovin!

Since86
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Tyler was pretty damn good againts Boozer and Gibson last year.

Because Boozer's entire game is built around being physical, and that's one area that Tyler is above average in. Just because he matches up well with one player, and another that is pretty limited offensively but relies on hustle, it doesn't mean that they're a good defender.

For the rest of the league, he's just okay.

D West is head and shoulders better offensively, and a wash at best defensively. There's no reason why Tyler starts.

He's tailor made to be a bench player. If he accepts that role, of a 20min a night never stopping motor, he will be a handful.

Being a bench player isn't an insult when you're in the best league in the world.

edc
12-11-2011, 04:40 PM
what does the L and A in NOLA stands for?

New Orleans ?

Kegboy

Maybe that was the source of all our problems last year. :hmm:

FrenchConnection

:laugh::laugh:
But seriously, Lance wasn't at UC long enough to care.

pacer4ever
Offensively, he's very efficient and productive...so he beats Tyler right now....but some of that is experience. But a bird in the hand is better than two Tylers in a bush.

Defensively, I'd say they are about even.

Tyler has been a black hole forever I remember noticing that his freshmen year at UNC I doubt that really ever changes. Dwest is at least a willing passer.

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
82games OPPONENT Per 48min Stat lines for 3 players.

----- Pos / FGA / FG% / FTA / iFG% / Reb / As / T/O / BLK / PF / PTs / PER
West: PF 15.9 / .485 / 3.8 / 32% / 11.0 / 2.5 / 2.2 / 1.3 / 5.1 / 18.2 / 14.6
Tyler:PF 15.0 / .494 / 5.0 / 33% / 12.1 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 1.7 / 6.0 / 18.5 / 14.6
Nene: C 14.0 / .517 / 5.0 / 58% / 12.8 / 2.3 / 2.6 / 1.9 / 6.7 / 18.0 / 17.6

Couldn't make a pretty graph. Note that Nene didn't play enough minutes at PF for the numbers to be relevant, but they were worse anyway. So he went up against different players, more often.

Aw Heck
12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
what does the L and A in NOLA stands for?

Louisiana

Kstat
12-11-2011, 04:42 PM
insult or not, it's common sense. You don't tell a 31-year old power forward with bad knees, whose game is built on scoring points, to start the game on the bench and come into the game ready to go...

Sandman21
12-11-2011, 04:43 PM

But TPTB told James that he didn't have to report to camp this year!:laugh:

PR07
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm excited that our offense won't lose a beat in the pick and pop game from West to Tyler in either unit.

I'm also interested to see if West becomes the leader of this team. He was a captain of the Hornets and just may be the guy we need to give us some additional veteran leadership.

While he's not a great defender, he should add some toughness to the frontcourt.

PacersHomer
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
West was also at Xavier before Miller turned it into Thug U.

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
:laugh::laugh:
But seriously, Lance wasn't at UC long enough to care.

thats not true

StephensonLance Lance Stephenson
I'm goin to miss my Uc boys kill the X today. Let's go Uc. I wish I can be there

He still hangs out at Cinny from time to time. But it doesnt really matter regardless. I dont think they care.

vnzla81

Some people in NO think West is a black hole also ;)

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?p=23026882&pg=2

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2011/11/30/hornets-beat-free-agency-and-david-west/

http://www.talk-sports.net/nba/sucks.aspx/David_West

Heisenberg
Forgot West was a team captain in NO. I honestly don't even know if being a "captain" means much in the NBA anymore, but it can't hurt.

Unclebuck
West will immediately become or best pick and roll big, he is really good in that

Kegboy
12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
As for the contract itself:

If you say so. I'll say this though, if David West signs for 7 figures, I'll stop bringing up that Buck never ate JO7's shoe. If that doesn't show how sure I am that it's not gonna happen, I don't know what will.

/obscureboardwagers

Whew. Close one there, I was sweating the Boston rumors.

Of course, it's not like I even remember what the bet was about, but I'm glad I still have one more thing I can ramble on about that half the board doesn't remember.

xBulletproof
12-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Some people in NO think West is a black hole also ;)

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?p=23026882&pg=2

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2011/11/30/hornets-beat-free-agency-and-david-west/

http://www.talk-sports.net/nba/sucks.aspx/David_West

Nearly every player who shoots enough to be an NBA All Star has someone claiming they're a black hole.

I read Nuggets boards where they said Nene disappears at the worst times, and can't rebound too. I'm sure that doesn't matter to you though.

Point is, you can find an opinion for everything on the internet.

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
West will immediately become or best pick and roll big, he is really good in that

he is in another league at that compared to what we have on the roster. He will really help DC and I think he and Lance will be fun to watch in the PnR if Lance gets any PT.

PaceBalls
12-11-2011, 04:54 PM

I heard only gangsters go to Xavier too. :eek:

trs72
12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I wonder if we could possibly get in on CP3 now that we have West. CP has said West was like a brother to him. I know its a long shot as CP3 wants to be with atleast one Superstar but hey it wouldn't hurt to try.

vnzla81
12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Nearly every player who shoots enough to be an NBA All Star has someone claiming they're a black hole.

I read Nuggets boards where they said Nene disappears at the worst times, and can't rebound too. I'm sure that doesn't matter to you though.

Point is, you can find an opinion for everything on the internet.

That was my point.

cdash
12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
David West wasn't my first choice, but for that contract, it's a fantastic signing. I don't see how anyone could be even remotely upset about this. I suppose now we know who vnzla's new whipping boy will be though.

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
82games OPPONENT Per 48min Stat lines for 3 players.

Also, wanted to add seperately, it's absolutely impressive to look at Foster's opponent per 48 numbers.

xBulletproof
That was my point.

After you posted it, I realized what you quoted and figured that. Just a bit late. :laugh:

Dr. Hibbert
I wonder if we could possibly get in on CP3 now that we have West. CP has said West was like a brother to him. I know its a long shot as CP3 wants to be with atleast one Superstar but hey it wouldn't hurt to try.

CP3 for Collison straight up :D

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Now I think we'll be rising in the East.

Not just a team that squeaks into the 8th seed.

We've got a hell of a team.

Something we'll be happy with and something Indy will definitely be getting back onboard to seeing.

More wins, higher attendance! :woohoo:

trs72
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
CP3 for Collison straight up :D

LOL, if only that would work, oh and throw in Rush as well just to get rid of him.

Psyren
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I swear some of you would literally complain about anything.

West is a good player who's coming in on a fair contract. Sure, he could get hurt, but so could anyone.

This contract is fine, and he'll be a nice addition to this team.

There's really no reason to complain. I would do this deal 100 times out of a hundred before I would ever give Nene the contract that NJ is giving him.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
To be fair, West's creaky knees make him more likely to get hurt than most, but his short contract makes that a non-issue. If he can't stay healthy, it won't be a terrible albatross.

jeffg-body
We just got one heck of a deal. 2 years and if he is still playing at a high level we re-sign him. If not, we move on. I really like this signing because he is much more well rounded than Nene although I liked his size. This guy is a natural leader as well being a captain on the Hornets. We get our big man without having to lose any of our young core. Score one for Bird there.

FlavaDave
A small market team got an All-Star at a position they needed the most with a perfectly reasonable contract for a short period of time. Maybe the lockout worked after all?

docpaul
LOL, if only that would work, oh and throw in Rush as well just to get rid of him.

Man, if we could swap out Rush for the 1st rounder, that'd be amazing. Fat chance of that though.

vnzla81
David West wasn't my first choice, but for that contract, it's a fantastic signing. I don't see how anyone could be even remotely upset about this. I suppose now we know who vnzla's new whipping boy will be though.

No really, if he is healthy he is better than the scrubs we had before(Dunleavy,Rasho,Troy, etc :puke:)

12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you DWest!

gummy
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Went over to D West's twitter page to check things out and this is right at the top:

tash342059 (https://twitter.com/#%21/tash342059) Tyler Ash

Have fun losing in indiana <s>@</s>D_West30 (https://twitter.com/#%21/D_West30) I hope u tear ur ACL again. <s class="hash">#</s>celticsforlife (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23celticsforlife)

Wow. Stay classy, Celtics fans. Those of you who have twitter, please give DWest a proper welcome!

Kemo
12-11-2011, 05:05 PM
George/Hill
Granger/Jones
Hibbert/Foster

AWESOME signing Larry...
I just hope we were smart enough to put a team option on his final year.
Because , hypothetically if West comes in and is not only awesome for us , but earns his way into our "core" , I would hate to lose him at the end of those 2 years to one of the big market teams..

Also regarding Mayo ... I would absolutely love to get him..

Can you imagine how freakin awesome it will be to have both Lance Stephenson AND OJ Mayo out on the court together and on the same team?

All I have to say is wow..

Those 2 were awesome vs. each other back in high school with their competitive rivalry ..

I'm sure alot of you have seen that game .. if not youtube it ..

I personally would MUCH rather aquire Mayo, than J Craw. ..

BUT in order to have OJ on the Pacers , we need to do something with D.Jones, Rush, Posey and Price ... to open up meaningful minutes and distribute ..

1st person listed is starter, but Hill and Paul George would both still get their 20 to 25 minutes between both positions.

Collison/Stephenson/Hill
Hill/Mayo/George
Granger/George
West/Hansbrough/Penderaph
Hibbert/Foster

Pacer Fan
Nice Artical from Dime Mag
Thought some would like to read.

Report: Larry Bird Steals David West from the Boston Celtics
By Patrick Cassidy

David West (photo. Nike Basketball)
Now this is kind of funny. As last as this morning, we all thought that David West was signed, sealed and delivered for Boston. But now it appears that Larry Bird has stolen West from their clutches at the last second.

The Legend took care of business by hanging back and waiting for his time to strike. The Celtics had been trying to work out a sign-and-trade to get the former All-Star forward to Boston, and when those talks stalled (allegedly due to not finding anyone to take Jermaine OíNeal, Larry and the Pacers apparently made their move. Marc Stein is reporting that West agreed to a two-year, $20 million deal.

Assuming all things with West are good to go after coming off of major knee surgery, he will immediately start and be a focal point at power forward.

Couple this news with the rumors that Indy is now also trying to land O.J Mayo via trade and it is clear that Larry is looking to be aggressive in improving his squad right now.

http://dimemag.com/2011/12/report-larry-bird-steals-david-west-from-the-boston-celtics/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/david_west/career_stats.html

Look at his stat line, he has been ver durable throughout his career. Some have said he has old knees - I don't see any evidence. He was injured at the end of last season, that's no reason to say he is broken merchandise.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Went over to D West's twitter page to check things out and this is right at the top:

Have fun losing in indiana <s>@</s>D_West30 (https://twitter.com/#%21/D_West30) I hope u tear ur ACL again. <s class="hash">#</s>celticsforlife (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23celticsforlife)

Stay classy, Celtics fans. Those of you who have twitter, please give DWest a proper welcome!

Bet it's a bandwagon fan.

They live in their own world because they don't know what losing is.

Remember *******, you guys lost 18 games in a row in 2006-07 (worst team in the NBA that season). Oh wait, you were probably riding the Spurs bandwagon.

We're a good team. Something typical fake fans don't know. There's a whole world outside of "your" team(s).

cdash
No really, if he is healthy he is better than the scrubs we had before(Dunleavy,Rasho,Troy, etc :puke:)

Oh, without question.

Besides the basketball fit, I love the personality fit on this team. I really think with these savvy moves we are making (and in the process of making), we might make the leap into the top 4 in the East this year. I really believe that. I even like the Pendergraph signing. If nothing else, he brings energy to practices. Absolutely love how Bird and company are playing their hand this offseason.

trs72

Stay classy, Celtics fans. Those of you who have twitter, please give DWest a proper welcome!

Wow! Thats not to classy to wish someone bad just because he did not sign with you. If anything they should be bashing D Ainge for some of his poor decisions,lol. Having Kendrick Perkins last year might have got them another title.

Aw Heck

Wow. Stay classy, Celtics fans. Those of you who have twitter, please give DWest a proper welcome!
Par for the course for most Boston fans in general.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I am aghast that some random fan posted something offensive on twitter. Aghast, I tell you!

cordobes
12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I imagine playing time also would've been a factor too, as he'd be playing behind Kevin Garnett and likely not a starter.

Nah, West would have started in Boston.

Doc had already said he was going to start Garnett at the 5.

Maybe he'll still do, Bass at the 4, Garnett at the 5.

More money the next two years probably had the most to do with it. In any event, he's not the type of superstar who is concerned about lucrative endorsements in the bigger markets. IOW, he's second tier and why we have him...

I don't think superstars make less money in endorsements because they're playing in big markets. The corollary of that theory was that LeBron was certain to land in NY. I think those guys are too much of global icons for that to matter significantly.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Bandwagon fans = Not fans at all.

#celticsforlife my ***!

Celtics fan 2008-201?

I laugh my *** off when these bandwagoners come to CFH just like they do for everyone else's arenas in the league. I love messing with them.

I love it even more when A55 does. Looking forward to that and with bigger crowds, these people will really feel singled out. :laugh:

pezasied182
12-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I would much rather have West for the next two years at $10mil than Nene for the next four at $17 mil. This is really a low risk, high reward situation. He's not going to hinder us signing any of our young players, nor will he hurt out long term goals and progress. We aren't winning a championship in the next two years, so why not upgrade the roster to the point where when his contract is up, some really good FAs might want to come play here (not top 10 talent, but close to it.) And a one year, $10 mil contract would be so easy to dump off to a contender.

bphil
12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Two years at $20 mil? Wow. I was sure that it would take 4 years to get West which would have been a bad idea... this is a very smart move by Bird. I'm rather blown away right now.

Kstat
12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I suppose it's all about what you need.

Nene is worth the money if you need a center.

IMO, West is the better fit for the Pacers, but it wouldn't be universal for every team.

pacergod2
12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
As a Spider, I am a bit conflicted about this one. This guy was a monster who was dominant in college. We had a bitter rivalry when I was at Richmond and West was at Xavier. Xavier had a ridiculous team. Romain Sato and Lionel Chalmers killed us for over pursuing West. If you left West alone, he killed your front court's foul limit. Great rivalry. I won't talk about the tunnel.

As a Pacers fan, I love this. Not being happy about this is like being the kid that doesn't appreciate his presents on Christmas morning. Complaining about what you get when it is a great gift.

West gives a completely new dimension offensively. No offense to Tyler, but teams didn't really take that aspect of our offense seriosuly as a threat in the pick and pop. This brings out defensive pressure and leads to more spacing along the baselines and deep wing.

Defensively, he is a very good team defender. He's like Dunleavy in that regard, but not even close to being as terrible. I think he helps tremendously with his ability to study the game (especially defensively). We have toughness across our reserves, which is nice to see. I think we made a great move, especially considering the cost and offensive impact.

I think this is one of those signings that gets us noticed a little bit more by other players. We signed probably the fourth best free agent on the market, BTW. I'm excited. Welcome, David. Go Pacers. Go Spiders.

bambam
12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I think David West will also help Hibberts numbers. Roy avg 5.7 rebounds 09-10, 7.5 recounds in 10-11....IMO, with Roy adding muscle and West presence, Roy could avg 10 reounds a game in 11-12.

Rogco
12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't think West is a game changer for the Pacers, but I do think he improves the team. And most importantly, the contract is awesome! Basically, the worst case scenario is that he doesn't work out THIS YEAR! Next year he's a big expiring contract that could help a contender, and the year after that we either try to resign or we get 10 mil in cap space right when the new CBA is really kicking in.

Great move Bird!

AesopRockOn
This changes a lot. I'm almost expecting home court in the first round at this point. If West's knees hold up, with the Magic falling off, Boston being iffy, the Hawks as disorganized as ever, the non-Miami or -Chicago spots are totally up for grabs. Thought Larry might go out like The Sopranos but he's going out like The Wire. I'm ready for this got damn season to start! KABLAAA!

Hitman02
Very happy about this signing, congrats to Larry and crew. Welcome to the Pacers David West!

gummy
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I am aghast that some random fan posted something offensive on twitter. Aghast, I tell you!

*snort* Par for the twitter course, I know.

But it pissed me off. Dude is a Pacer now and I don't want that **** at the top of his feed. :mad:

graphic-er
12-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Good signing overall. West was not my first choice due to jury concerns and lack of size, but 2 years is a great contract. He is gonna teach Hansbrough a ton about being an undersized 4 and how to succeed in this league.

We have to get a back up center now, a big guy who is athletic.

aceace
12-11-2011, 05:52 PM

B-level guys like David West? Sure.Don't forget Sarunas Yesacabbageachus

Ace E.Anderson
12-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Some people are too unrealistic. We just signed a player who will get you 17-19 and 7 rebounds a game...CONSISTANTLY. he's 31, that is far from old, and though he's coming off an injury, his game was never about athleticism. On offense, he fits perfectly with Roy as a high/low combo. 10 million for a 3 time all star in the WEST?! I'LL TAKE IT EVERYTIME

QuickRelease
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
:fireworks:http://cache2.artprintimages.com/lrg/55/5541/VU8LG00Z.jpg:fireworks

Freddie fan
12-11-2011, 06:34 PM

I think Danny is quite a good defender when he wants to be. I've seen him play very good defense at times, it just isn't consistent and really slid a lot in O'Briens last season or so. Vogel has to get Danny to be a defensive leader on the team, particularly in terms of effort. If a team's best player gives a very high level of effort on defense, his teammates will follow suit.

JB24
12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Direct your thank-you cards to Los Angeles. Or Stern.

@SherrodbCSN
#Celtics were out of running for D.West B4 he signed w/#Pacers. The #Mavs were the 3rd team in trade w/NOH. They got L.Odom. No need for JO.

http://twitter.com/SherrodbCSN

CooperManning
12-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you, LA. It's not every day you have the opportunity to send your 4th best player to your biggest rival for next to nothing. You're the best!

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 07:03 PM
We have to get a back up center now, a big guy who is athletic.

You are absolutely right as I don't see Pendergraph being able. Got anyone in mind?

BKK
12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
We trade D. Jones.

Actually this move would make sense from Memphis' perspective... With Battier gone they need a veteran presence that can come in, play solid defense and be a leader... We can even send Rush too if they want

BKK
12-11-2011, 07:16 PM

This

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Actually this move would make sense from Memphis' perspective... With Battier gone they need a veteran presence that can come in, play solid defense and be a leader... We can even send Rush too if they want

They have more wings now than an osterich farm, so why would they be interested in Jones and/or Rush? Sure, I'd love to trade both, but it's not realistic to Memphis.

beast23
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
You are absolutely right as I don't see Pendergraph being able. Got anyone in mind?

We may yet find a backup center; but for now, I thought his name was Foster.

CableKC
12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Everything that I have read about West in the Hornet forums have indicated that he's a solid guy that they regret losing, but more than happy that he's going to a young Team. I saw many posts that say that they may actually follow the Pacers cuz of David West....this tells you the type of Player West is.

CableKC
12-11-2011, 07:41 PM
They want to cut....not add...salary. A straight up swap of a S&T of McBob with Mayo is the most realistic outcome.

King Tuts Tomb
12-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Assuming we get Mayo, in three months we'll have paid $20 million and a mid first round pick for David West, George Hill and Mayo, without giving away one of our top 5 guys. That's a hell of a job by Larry.

daschysta
12-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I think Danny is quite a good defender when he wants to be. I've seen him play very good defense at times, it just isn't consistent and really slid a lot in O'Briens last season or so. Vogel has to get Danny to be a defensive leader on the team, particularly in terms of effort. If a team's best player gives a very high level of effort on defense, his teammates will follow suit.

With West being a legitimate 2nd or co 1st option offensively on a team like the Pacers Danny will be able to focus more on defense, which he is quite good at when he's free to exert energy on that side of the Ball.

He held Luol Deng to awful %'s last year in the chicago series, and when Roy was actually playing like a legit guy to share the scoring load early in the season I remember how great Danny's defense was, one game in particular he absolutely owned Joe Johnson Defensively, and many of us were touting him as his finest form yet as far as being balanced.

It's not a coincidence that when Roy fell off so did Danny's D, since he was once again the only pacer that could carry our offense.

West will do huge things for Danny Granger AND Darren Collison. Remember that in New Orleans David West's amazing pick and roll/pop abilities made DC look like a future all-star. He also won't clog the post so that Roy can do his work, and provide an option for Roy to pass to on nights when he's "on" and commands a double team.

Grangers D will improve as his game becomes more balanced, Collison's assists will improve, as will his efficiency, and Roy will have a much more savvy front court mate to take the pressure off, as bullish as hans is and as good of a scorer as hans is he looked lost in alot of team situations last year, this isn't a problem with D-West.

Between New Yorks shallowness, and the propensity of Amare and Chandler to spend time on the injured list, the continued aging of the celtics given how many more games are stuffed into the schedule each week, and the Status of Orlando's pending Dwight Howard trade (hopefully to the Western Conference), we could compete for the fourth seed next year and win around 42 or 43 games, which would be amazing after the past 4 or 5 years!

Assuming we get Mayo, in three months we'll have paid $20 million and a mid first round pick for David West, George Hill and OJ Mayo, without giving away one of our top 5 guys. That's a hell of a job by Larry.

If we get Mayo for an already leaving Mcbob, and improve as much as I think we can then Larry should really be up for executive of the year. It's harder do in a small market like indy, where people aren't lining up to play, and he's done a hell of a job vastly improving our depth and talent on a very modest budget.

Since86
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Thank you, LA. It's not every day you have the opportunity to send your 4th best player to your biggest rival for next to nothing. You're the best!

Can TE's be used in a FA signing?

That might be a new trend under this new CBA for teams above the tax. Sending out players to teams under the caps for TEs. Obviously it would only be used when the FA signing is good enough.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Cuban picked up a major piece through taking advantage of a TE, especially when he just wrote about how he could always get better by simply taking on more salary. If there's an angle that's going to be worked, he'd be the one to sniff it out.

Eleazar
12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
They have more wings now than an osterich farm, so why would they be interested in Jones and/or Rush? Sure, I'd love to trade both, but it's not realistic to Memphis.

They might view Rush as acceptable because he only has one season left on his rookie contract. Other than that though you are right, they aren't going to want to take on anyone other than McBob if they don't have to.

pacers74
12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
This wasn't my first choice, but with only sgning him to a 2 year deal, this could be the best signing of the off season. We will have to wait to see how the season plays out to see if West to us, Chandler to New York, Lamar to Dallas, or Nene to New Jersey is the best signing of this off season.

Pacergeek
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
West has a career 84% FT. I had no clue how good he was at FT. This skill alone could help us win some close games.

glazedham42
12-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I really like this signing. A 2 year deal at a great price. I think Nene was out for money, and was going to kick back and relax after signing his big contract. David West wants to win ball games. He can put points on the board, which will DEFINITELY help us. He brings a veteran presence to a young team. He's a good free throw shooter, and he has some experience with one of our young point guards already. I think he will help keep all of our young players on the right track.

pacers74
12-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I can't wait until we have some practice video of West so we can see if his knee is reallly all healed up. I'm sure it is I just want reasureance.