PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Pendergraph: Diamond in the Rough?

pacers74
12-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Pacers like Pendergraph's energy, potential

Mike Wells

David West. Nene. Carl Landry. Paul Millsap. Those are some of the players fans have heard as possible power (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#) forward acquisitions for the Indiana Pacers.
Then there's Jeff Pendergraph.
Who?
That was the reaction many fans had when the Pacers made Pendergraph their first frontcourt acquisition of the offseason.
"When the lockout happened, nobody knew what was going on," Pendergraph said. "Two weeks ago, I had everything packed up and I was ready to kick back for the whole year."
The Pacers don't look at Pendergraph as the solution to the hole at power forward they want to fill.
They look at him as a player with potential, whom they will bring along slowly after he missed all of last season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
"We're very happy to have Jeff on our team," Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement released by the team. "He's got size, power and a competitiveness we're looking for. After being out last season, he's healthy, fit (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#) and ready to help us achieve our goals."
Pendergraph, a second-round pick in 2009 from Arizona State, averaged 2.7 points and 2.5 rebounds in 39 games (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#) with Portland during his rookie season.
The Trail Blazers waived Pendergraph shortly after the knee injury, leaving him to rehabilitate on his own, with an uncertain NBA future.
"I was a little down," Pendergraph said. "I realized God always put me in a position to be successful, regardless of what it is. As long as he's around, I'll be fine. All I could focus on was rehab and staying off my knee when I was supposed to."
Pendergraph spent the entire season rehabilitating his knee. The Pacers brought him in for a workout (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#) in the spring.
"When I came in April and met with Mr. Bird and (general manager David) Morway, that was a good meeting and I definitely enjoyed that," Pendergraph said. "I had a feeling they were really interested."
The Pacers felt confident enough in Pendergraph to give him a guaranteed two-year contract for an undisclosed amount.
"It feels really good that the organization has my back like that, especially coming off an injury like that," Pendergraph said. "There's no way to describe how good of a feeling that is."
Pendergraph didn't have to look hard to find out what it's like to play for the Pacers.
He just had to call childhood friend Darren Collison.
Collison, a Pacers point guard, and Pendergraph played together in elementary school and were later teammates at Etiwanda High School in Southern California.
"He's real energized on the court," Collison said. "He's extremely competitive. Regardless of how he does in thegame (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#), he's always going to play hard. As soon as he comes off the bench and comes into the game, look for him just to get after it right away."
Fellow power forward Tyler Hansbrough plays the same way.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel said players had a difficult time keeping Pendergraph off the glass during a rebounding drill during his first practice Saturday.
"He fits this team," Vogel said. "I'll keep it clean, he's a scrappy player. He's a dirty work kind of player."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111211/SPORTS04/112110373/Pacers-like-Pendergraph-s-energy-potential?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

pacers74
12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
He should be healthy and hopefully will be a much better upgrade over Solo. He might be better than McRoberts we will have to wait and see. He also scored 23 points in the last game of the season in the 09-10 season before he injured his knee in a 2010 preseason game.

ApNeDtRiEeW
12-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Kick back for the whole year?

Such dedication to his craft....

LoneGranger33
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
"He fits this team," Vogel said. "I'll keep it clean, he's a scrappy player. He's a dirty work kind of player."

What does that mean? Vogel wanted to call him a 'son of a @%&*#?

pacers74
12-11-2011, 11:56 AM
probably a tough son of a @%&*#?.

PacersHomer
12-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Jeff Pendergraph is the white Karl Malone.

Scot Pollard
12-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Well, here he is.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2010/10/08/1286571573-pend.jpg

Also, look how buff he is.

Eleazar
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Young
12-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Do you have any idea what knee injuries are like to come back from? Especially tearing your ACL. If Pendergraph is ready to play ball a year after tearing his ACL he didn't just "kick back for the whole year". To indicate that he did nothing for a year and is not dedicated is just ridiculous. You are taking what he said way out of context.

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 12:37 PM
He will be at least a good practice player. I mean guys wont like him in practice because he always plays hard him and Tyler are similar minus the scoring ability.

PacersHomer
12-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Well, here he is.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2010/10/08/1286571573-pend.jpg

Also, look how buff he is.

Black Reggie Miller :p

Sandman21
12-11-2011, 12:38 PM

If you asked 5 NBA players if they thought there was going to be a season this year, you'll probably get 5 who didn't think it was going to happen. Roy admitted to us at the airport that he didn't think there was going to be a season.

Brad8888
12-11-2011, 01:01 PM
At least we will have a player who looks tough in the weightroom, as well as when he is perpetually in a suit. Solo always seemed a little soft in a 3-piece suit IMO.

Excellent job by Pritchard to bring in his former player. At least we probably have witnessed our first "Pritch slap". As a fan, my face stings just a little to see him signed with no interest in McRoberts.

What other 2 or 3 year projects can we sign to meet the league minimum salary and end up with at least 12 players who can dress for this sprint of a season? Maybe Brian Shaw knows somebody? Boylen? One of our scouts? Any of us here?

Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler?

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
At least we will have a player who looks tough in the weightroom, as well as when he is perpetually in a suit. Solo always seemed a little soft in a 3-piece suit IMO.

Excellent job by Pritchard to bring in his former player. At least we probably have witnessed our first "Pritch slap". As a fan, my face stings just a little to see him signed with no interest in McRoberts.

What other 2 or 3 year projects can we sign to meet the league minimum salary and end up with at least 12 players who can dress for this sprint of a season? Maybe Brian Shaw knows somebody? Boylen? One of our scouts? Any of us here?

Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler?

Ok, I can understand your frustration, but keep in mind Pendergraph was a bubble 1st round player who was drafted at #31. That's higher than McBob and A. Davis. IIRC, McBob played in 8 games his rookie year, and AD went to Europe to hone his game. Why not give Pendergraph an opportunity to not meet your expectatrions, b4 deciding he's useless? You may be right, and then you might be pleasantly surprised.

McBob non-interest from the Pacers seems to stem from not wanting to pay what many think he's worth.

beezer615
12-11-2011, 06:27 PM

he's not really Dunleavy white

Day-V
12-11-2011, 06:37 PM
he's not really Dunleavy white

Brian Scalabrine isn't even Dunleavy White.

sportfireman
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Joking around with my wife I told her we have another Jeff on the team..... a black Jeff and a white Jeff:buddies:

Freddie fan
12-11-2011, 06:47 PM
This signing, along with the resigning of Foster, is aimed at continuing to redefine the personality of the team to be tougher and more physical, in my opinion, and I love that. It's the opposite of the O'Brien approach where you are looking for your big guys to hover around 3 point line on offense and you at best pay some minimal lip service to them providing physical play on defense and on the boards. West, while multi-faceted, is also a tough player

speakout4
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Two new guys; two guys coming off ACL injuries.

Makes me confident.

Naptown_Seth
12-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeesh.

JPend was a somewhat undersized big who played a tough, gritty game in the shadow of Harden. The perfect scouting game due to head to head matchups and one of my favorites in general from the last few years was AZ vs ASU featuring Harden vs Chase B and J Hill vs Pendy. Hill showed his athletic gift but Jeff was clearly the more willingly physical player.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290210012

To me his style is somewhere between Foster and Dale. Not quite as quick or athletic as a young Foster, not quite as tough and powerful as Dale. But he'll lean into a guy and grind for rebound position throughout the game.

So not only is he not white, he's not the PnR shooter with the soft touch that Malone was either. His game has little to do with Malone's game.

Justin Tyme
12-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Seth says he's undersized. This is the 2nd time I've seen this said. It makes me wonder if he's a candidate to play center. Does anyone have his measurements from the 09 draft? How does he stack size wise to Hans, West, etc.

Ozwalt72
12-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Pre-draft measurements - in shoes he is 6'10" 240lbs, 7'1 wingspan and 8'11" standing reach

PaulGeorge
12-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I like this addition. For us as a team to add another player who plays hard even in practices like tyler. teams are going to be so tired of playing us. A team that keeps coming at you and won't quit is a hard team to beat. He might only play 10min a game but, it'll be hard fought I believe. I also like that he said "it's nice when a team has you're back coming off an injury" Just because he's had a knee injury doesn't mean he is injury prone. It can happen to anyone who is going up for a rebound. I think cause we gave him a chance it will really motivate him. I'm pullin for JP. 48minutes of hell should be our motto this year.

PacerGuy
12-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Maybe we should change the thread title to:
"Jeff Pendergraph: A Black Diamond in the Rough?"

pacers74
12-11-2011, 09:55 PM
If you look up Josh MocRoberts measurenets that are almost indientical up to bench press. It won't paster right so here are the links:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-McRoberts-227/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Pendergraph-1165/

Josh played some backup center Pendergraph might be able to play some center. I would not say he is undersized.

CableKC
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Geez....why do we really have boil down many of these threads into "black and white"?

:rolleyes:

billbradley
12-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Geez....why do we really have boil down many of these threads into "black and white"?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, am I missing something funny or are people just stupid?

Unclebuck
12-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Surprised this article has not ben posted. some great comments by Vogel

http://www.nba.com/pacers/caught_web_indiana_pacers_pendergraph_foster_2011_ 12_11.html

The 6-9, 240-pound Pendergraph is a high-energy player who can play both frontcourt positions off the bench. He spent his rookie season with Portland in 2009-10 but was waived after tearing an ACL during the preseason and sat out last year.

Despite his long absence from the game, Pendergraph showed few signs of rust in his first practice with the Pacers.

"He fits this team because he is a scrappy type of player," said Vogel. "He goes hard. We did a rebounding drill and our blue team couldn't keep him off the glass. It was just one rule: you've got to get three rebounds in a row. And they could not get him off the glass. He was just that relentless. And he took about four charges today. He's a dirty-work player."

That's a tag Pendergraph embraces. He's carried it with him ever since his days as a high school teammate of Darren Collison in Etiwanda, Calif.

"He's another version of Tyler (Hansbrough), he's real energized on the court, he's extremely competitive and regardless of how he does in a game he's always going to play hard," said Collison. "As soon as he comes off that bench and comes into the game, look for him to get after it right away.

"… He doesn't care about his offense. He's going to get the rebounds, he's going to make sure he screens his man, he's going to do all the dirty work. He can shoot the ball extremely well but that's not even on his mind. It's just about playing hard."
An outgoing, upbeat and engaging personality, Pendergraph relishes the role.

"I don't take nothing from nobody," he said with a smile. "I'm always in everybody's faces regardless of who it is -- in a respectful way. I'm not like crazy dude. But regardless of the situation my presence is known.

"I just try to bring energy and toughness and all the little intangibles you can control doing every day. I can't control how many minutes I have or how many points I can get. I might not even touch the ball. But I can set good screens, I can crash the boards, box my guy out, just the little stuff. I think that's what I'm pretty good at." D-League rookies Jarrid Famous (South Florida) and Matt Rogers (Southwest Baptist) also joined the team, giving the Pacers seven frontcourt players among the 16 in camp.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 12:10 AM
If you look up Josh MocRoberts measurenets that are almost indientical up to bench press. It won't paster right so here are the links:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-McRoberts-227/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Pendergraph-1165/

Josh played some backup center Pendergraph might be able to play some center. I would not say he is undersized.

6'8 3/4" w/o shoes and 6'10" w/shoes. I don't quite see the undersize. After thinking about undersize players, I remember AD playing Center against the likes of Shaq.

I like everything I've read about JP. Especially, the hard hat blue color type player he is. I just hope he can hone his game and do well as a Pacer.

CableKC
12-12-2011, 12:16 AM
This may be one of those "It's a Small World" ancedotes....but it's funny that Collison not only played with Pendegraph in High School....but also in Elementary school.

gummy
12-12-2011, 12:24 AM
6'8 3/4" w/o shoes and 6'10" w/shoes. I don't quite see the undersize. After thinking about undersize players, I remember AD playing Center against the likes of Shaq.

I like everything I've read about JP. Especially, the hard hat blue color type player he is. I just hope he can hone his game and do well as a Pacer.

Oh, so now he's blue? :laugh:

I'm intrigued, but a little uncomfortable at the prospect of only having oft-injured Jeff and the question mark newbie behind Hibbert. It's not really about his size - I think 6'10" in shoes is perfectly fine for a backup center.

jeffg-body
12-12-2011, 01:04 AM
I have always been a fan of this young man and I hope he has completely healed his knee.

Pacers#1Fan
12-12-2011, 01:31 AM
After reading those comments by Vogel I really want to see what he and Tyler would look like on the court together. If he is as relentless as coach suggests that could be considered cruel and unusual punishment to whoever we're playing.

trs72
12-12-2011, 03:45 AM
After reading those comments by Vogel I really want to see what he and Tyler would look like on the court together. If he is as relentless as coach suggests that could be considered cruel and unusual punishment to whoever we're playing.

From the sound of it he should fit in real well and give us another bruiser to go along with PhyscoT and Foster. I would love to see 1 of those guys knock Noah out,lol. I cant stand him and have hated him every since he was in college.

Infinite MAN_force
12-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Oh, so now he's blue? :laugh:

I'm intrigued, but a little uncomfortable at the prospect of only having oft-injured Jeff and the question mark newbie behind Hibbert. It's not really about his size - I think 6'10" in shoes is perfectly fine for a backup center.

I think we should be realistic. I think this guy is perfectly capable of pulling third string, if Jeff gets hurt. No need to commit long term money to someone who might never play. I'm OK with this guy being our emergency backup plan. He was a borderline 1st round prospect at one point, and he seems to have the right mindset.

I mean, does anyone NOT think this is an upgrade over Solomon Jones?

Tom White
12-12-2011, 09:50 AM

http://www.nba.com/pacers/caught_web_indiana_pacers_pendergraph_foster_2011_ 12_11.html

...But I can set good screens, I can crash the boards, box my guy out, just the little stuff.

Here is where I will disagree with him (and perhaps it is just his way of being humble).

None of the things he mentions he can do should ever be considered "little stuff". They are darned important stuff. If he does those things well, he will find a role.

Winner
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
"I was a little down," Pendergraph said. "I realized God always put me in a position to be successful, regardless of what it is. As long as he's around, I'll be fine. All I could focus on was rehab and staying off my knee when I was supposed to."
Touching.

Doddage
12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
"He goes hard." I love Vogel's quotes.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=gummy;1315671]

Oh, so now he's blue? :laugh: QUOTE]

LOL! :D He'll compliment the color of his new uni.

Justin Tyme
12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I know many fans and posters got excited about Magnum Rolle last year, I wasn't one of them, but I'm excited about seeing what JP, yes, that my new nick name for him, can do. I REALLY like he is a Foster and Hans blue "collar" type player.

Unclebuck
12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Here is where I will disagree with him (and perhaps it is just his way of being humble).

None of the things he mentions he can do should ever be considered "little stuff". They are darned important stuff. If he does those things well, he will find a role.

"little stuff" = stuff that doesn't get on ESPN sportscenter highlights.

That is what little stuff means in 2011

Brad8888
12-12-2011, 12:07 PM

http://www.nba.com/pacers/caught_web_indiana_pacers_pendergraph_foster_2011_ 12_11.html"He fits this team because he is a scrappy type of player," said Vogel. "He goes hard. We did a rebounding drill and our blue team couldn't keep him off the glass. It was just one rule: you've got to get three rebounds in a row. And they could not get him off the glass. He was just that relentless. And he took about four charges today. He's a dirty-work player."

Who was on the blue team?

BillS
12-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Maybe JeffP was playing himself, since he's a blue color player.

Slick Pinkham
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
He's the black Tebow

Anthem
12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Starters plus Lance.

Brad8888
12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Starters plus Lance.

So, does that mean Hibbert, Hansbrough (for now), Granger, Paul George, Lance? And, was there anyone on Pendergraph's team doing the blocking out while he got the boards (oh, say Jeff Foster)?

BlueNGold
12-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Just looking at Pendergraph's game logs...and he hasn't played since Dec. 2009. I know due to the ACL, but that's a long time. He should be fully healed I would think. Anyone know when he was injured?

tadscout
12-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Just looking at Pendergraph's game logs...and he hasn't played since Dec. 2009. I know due to the ACL, but that's a long time. He should be fully healed I would think. Anyone know when he was injured?

Pre-season of last year.