PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Sentinel: Dwight Howard Requests Trade

Lance George
12-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Orlando Magic GM says Dwight Howard has requested a trade - OrlandoSentinel.com (http://ht.ly/7Vl9D)

Dwight Howard (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/dwight-howard-PESPT008416.topic) has told the Orlando Magic (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/orlando-magic-ORSPT000208.topic) that he wants to be traded, Magic General Manager Otis Smith (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/otis-smith-PESPT006842.topic) told the Orlando Sentinel Saturday afternoon.

Smith said Howard has made the request twice in separate conversations since Monday.

Dan Fegan, Howard’s agent, didn’t immediately return a phone message for comment.

Smith emphasized that the Magic want to keep Howard long-term, and he added that Howard and his camp haven’t told the team that he definitely will not remain with the franchise. Indeed, Smith repeated what Magic officials have said for days: that the team will make every effort to keep the All-NBA (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/national-basketball-association-15008001.topic) First Team center.

“We wouldn’t be who we are if we don’t take a look around all 29 teams and try to make the best deal for the Orlando Magic,” Smith said.

“He can have his list of teams that he would like to go to, and we’ve probably got a few on our list of teams that we would like. But at the end of the day, we want him here and we want him in a Magic uniform for his career. With that said, we’re going to make the best possible deal that we can make if we have to trade him.”

On Friday, Smith gave Howard’s camp permission to have contact with officials from three teams — the Dallas Mavericks (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/dallas-mavericks-ORSPT000097.topic), the Los Angeles Lakers (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/los-angeles-lakers-ORSPT000104.topic) and the New Jersey Nets (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/new-jersey-nets-ORSPT000194.topic) — and seek a trade.

After the Magic completed their first training-camp practice Friday, Howard was asked what his long-term plans are. He mostly evaded the questions.

Asked if he can see himself staying with the Magic for the entire 2011-12 season, he responded: “As of right now, I’m here. Like I’ve said, that’s the only thing that matters, and that’s it.”

Howard is participating today in the Magic's second training-camp practice, which started at 4 p.m.

Smith said he hasn’t decided for certain that he will trade Howard before the March 15 trade deadline, but keeping Howard past that point has an enormous risk that could set the Magic back for years and would evoke memories of how Shaquille O’Neal left the Magic for the Lakers after the 1995-96 season.

If he remains with the Magic after the deadline, Howard would have no incentive to agree to a sign-and-trade deal, and if he were to depart as an unrestricted free agent, the Magic would be left with no compensation for one of the top players in the sport.

Smith also said he could trade Howard to a team not on Howard’s list. But any team not on Howard’s list would be taking a risk that Howard would not re-sign there long-term; that risk likely will limit the quality of those teams’ offers.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
The players want to run the league. Billups threatened teams that might pick him up because he intends to dictate where he goes....only to a contender. Maybe Danny and Paul George need to go to LA too. Hibbert to Boston. Let Britton Johnson try to compete with them.

rock747
12-10-2011, 07:05 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Dwight Howard has requested that the Orlando Magic trade him to the New Jersey Nets, league sources tell Y! Sports.
No the players do run the league

xBulletproof
12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
In other news, Lindsey Lohan is in rehab.

Hicks
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Me me me me me

Now now now now now

More more more more more

The NBA.

pacer4ever
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
In other news, Lindsey Lohan is in rehab.

and Brandon Rush informed everybody she is in playboy aswell

IamThaKing25 Brandon Rush
Who let Lindsay Lohan pose for playboy!?

IamThaKing25 Brandon Rush
After looking at the pics again n again. She doesn't look bad at all

righteouscool
12-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I have no problem with Dwight asking for a trade. Otis Smith has run that team into the ground and I don't see them competing for a championship any time soon with Dwight.

Hicks
12-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I have no problem with Dwight asking for a trade. Otis Smith has run that team into the ground and I don't see them competing for a championship any time soon with Dwight.

Why not request that the owner fire Smith? Hell, why isn't the owner doing that in the first place?

Major Cold
12-10-2011, 07:12 PM
He is asking to go to NJN. Does this mean that Nene is open?

rock747
12-10-2011, 07:12 PM
and Brandon Rush informed everybody she is in playboy aswell

Thank god Brandon Rush has a twitter.

ksuttonjr76
12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm so sick and tired of players demanding trades then giving their team a list. Now I'm wishing that Owners would have raked the players over the coal.

It makes you wonder if Larry Bird is even ABLE to make GENUINE runs at these players. Hell, I wonder if Bird even BOTHERS to call the agents of these players. I know that I wouldn't. Indiana has all this d*mn cap space, and can't even use it unless they want to give "Superstar" money to an "alright" player.

rock747
If Dwights playing in LA and the same team is there--he's signing an extension.

Scot Pollard
I guess Nene will be available again.

:signit:

No way will they be signing Nene AND getting Dwight Howard. Financially and offensively on the court it will not work out.

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't give a **** anymore.

Just play the game and let the chips fall where they may.

ksuttonjr76
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't give a **** anymore.

Just play the game and let the chips fall where they may.

Totally agree. I feel like we're that fat girl that you talk to and settle with at the end of the night, because you struck out with all your other choices.

Lance George
12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
No the players do run the league

I don't like to see him staying in the East, but I like that he may not go to the Lakers. Also, I wonder what this means in the Nene front?

vnzla81
12-10-2011, 07:23 PM

If Houston doesn't get him first.

Shade
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Me me me me me

Now now now now now

More more more more more

The NBA.

Can we go back to the lockout?

ksuttonjr76
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't like to see him staying in the East, but I like that he may not go to the Lakers. Also, I wonder what this means in the Nene front?

Nene signs with us if Howard goes to New Jersey.

Nene signs with New Jersey if Howard goes to LA.

If I was Larry, I would lowball Nene if Howard goes to New Jersey, since we would become the most attractive team to him at that moment.

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I guess Nene will be available again.

:signit:

No way will they be signing Nene AND getting Dwight Howard. Financially and offensively on the court it will not work out.
He'll go to the Rockets to team with Gasol. Failing that, he'll take more money in Denver.

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Totally agree. I feel like we're that fat girl that you talk to and settle with at the end of the night, because you struck out with all your other choices.

I know we're not a championship caliber team NOW, but who knows what will be in the future? I don't think of us as in a different world compared to the Knicks and Lakers. We're a part of a 30 team league and anyone can be anyone. We pulled out some good upsets last year.

Right now, I'm just happy we have a good, young team on the rise and the true Pacers crowds will be returning.

We're in a great situation despite being in a small market. Having a ton of cap space AND a young team on the rise. You can't go wrong.

So I leave our team and decision makings in the hands of our FO and hopefully it'll work out.

able
12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
All they have to do is say no.

All of a sudden it becomes his decision to leave the money on the table, a lot of money.

next year DH has an option worth 19.2 million
he can signe elsewhere for 4 years, starting at 17.4 million with 4.5% raises (say 800K) so that makes 17.4/18.2/19/19.8 = 74.4 million

Orl can offer him : (take the option first) 19.2 and now a 5 years contract lets say the cap goes up a little in the 3rd year of the cba, so he starts at 18 (7.5% raises = 1.3 mio)

19.2/18/19.3/20.6/21.9/23.2 = 122.2 million

Poker? let's see if he really wants to leave 50 million on the table, I raise all-in.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Nobody's even going to be around to settle with us. I say we just give in and give away Granger and George and watch some "Rasslin'" It would be more entertaining than the farce that is the NBA.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 07:27 PM

All of a sudden it becomes his decision to leave the money on the table, a lot of money.

he can signe elsewhere for 4 years, starting at 17.4 million with 4.5% raises (say 800K) so that makes 17.4/18.2/19/19.8 = 74.4 million

Orl can offer him : (take the option first) 19.2 and now a 5 years contract lets say the cap goes up a little in the 3rd year of the cba, so he starts at 18 (7.5% raises = 1.3 mio)

Poker? let's see if he really wants to leave 50 million on the table, I raise all-in.

So...are you saying the less desirable markets will need to overpay to a greater extent to keep their few talented players?

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 07:28 PM
He'll go to the Rockets to team with Gasol. Failing that, he'll take more money in Denver.

I know you're probably correct, but we'll see if it winds up being with the Nets and they don't get Dwight, the Rockets, Nuggets, or here.

I'm sure he'll keep us in mind. Bird didn't fly out to Denver for nothing and I'm sure Nene became intrigued.

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I think a lot of it is also the media looking for a good story so it gets annoying.

Modern day technology and trends can really suck.

LET'S JUST PLAY BALL ALREADY!!!! I'm getting to get back to CFH and watch my Pacers and sit in a better environment than in a few years past.

I can give a **** about the Lakers, Knicks, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, etc. I just want to see us win and play hard.

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Yes! Just for once, I'd love a GM to say, "F*** you. Find your own way there. Until then, honor your contract. Oh and no sign and trades."

Kstat
12-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes! Just for once, I'd love a GM to say, "F*** you. Find your own way there. Until then, honor your contract. Oh and no sign and trades."

Worked out great for Cleveland and Toronto!

ksuttonjr76
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM

I doubt it. Once they give up Martin, Scola, and Dragic to NO, I don't see that team being releveant even with Pau Gasol.

Indiana would definitely be his best choice when it comes to talent, making the playoffs, and having a meaningful impact on the team.

SycamoreKen
12-10-2011, 07:33 PM
So...are you saying the less desirable markets will need to overpay to a greater extent to keep their few talented players?

No, he is saying Howard will have to give up a ton of money to play somewhere else because Orlando can pay him the most money.

able
12-10-2011, 07:33 PM

they all agreed to the sign and trade reducing the losses for the players in question

Lebron would have had to leave serious money on the table, but not 50 million like Howard, I agree with Hicks, if i was Howard i would tell the owner to replace the clums he has for a ceo, get a real one, and make a team.

Besides wich, not all teams clear cap space in the player roulette every year, so how many teams are sufficiently under the cap to sign him to a max contract that would still cost him a large fortune?

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 07:34 PM

If your superstar is leaving you, you're screwed whether you help them get to their destination or not. No need to help them.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 07:34 PM
No, he is saying Howard will have to give up a ton of money to play somewhere else because Orlando can pay him the most money.

But why should they pay Howard more...other than a penny more?

SycamoreKen
12-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Didn't both of those guys get traded or did they let them walk for nothing? One could say Orlando will be where Cleveland and Toronto are if they sign and trade Howard.

DEEman
Im missing the: "to the Pacers because they have a great young core and a amazing cap space, and im the missing link there, and so i can actually compete for a ring" in the topic title..

Kstat
If your superstar is leaving you, you're screwed whether you help them get to their destination or not. No need to help them.

spiting them and leaving yourself with nothing only hurts your franchise. It's stupid and irrational.

Major Cold
12-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Houston is waiting on LA to get a magically 1st round pick. You know the ones that grow on trees (aka small market teams ran by former big market players).

Maybe Nene will get tired of his fate being in the hands of CP3 and DH12.

able

Yep and I forgot to mention that he can only go to a team under the cap by at least his starting salary.

How many will there be ?

SycamoreKen
But why should they pay Howard more...other than a penny more?

Because they can. That is how it is set up to help teams keep their big name player, or at least it was supposed to work that way. Orlando would be happy to pay him that as well.

Kstat
12-10-2011, 07:38 PM
they all agreed to the sign and trade reducing the losses for the players in question

...because they were leaving one way or the other. May as well salvage a crappy draft pick or two.

Lebron would have had to leave serious money on the table, but not 50 million like Howard, I agree with Hicks, if i was Howard i would tell the owner to replace the clums he has for a ceo, get a real one, and make a team.

It isn't Howard's place to hire his own boss.

Besides wich, not all teams clear cap space in the player roulette every year, so how many teams are sufficiently under the cap to sign him to a max contract that would still cost him a large fortune?

The teams that know a certain player is going to hit free agency?

That wasn't happenstance. Miami knew YEARS in advance that LeBron and Bosh were not going to be traded, and both would likely want out. I can understand the Cavs wanting to roll the dice, but the Raptors were total idiots. Bosh should have been shipped out a year or two earlier.

Kstat
12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Yep and I forgot to mention that he can only go to a team under the cap by at least his starting salary.

How many will there be ?

With the amnesty rule? A lot.

He'd be a Clipper two seconds after he hit free agency. Max capspace, both the best young PF and SG in the NBA, AND he gets to move to his favorite city? That'd be a budding dynasty.

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
spiting them and leaving yourself with nothing only hurts your franchise. It's stupid and irrational.
I definitely understand that stance and Orlando definitely will take Brook Lopez.

But I think if GMs start to say "no" a lot more often, superstars would find it more difficult to get where they want to go. Maybe it would discourage what we've been seeing lately.

Kstat
12-10-2011, 07:42 PM
The Raptors said "no" a hundred times to Chris Bosh, and then it was too late.

GMs are scared as **** now BECAUSE bosh Cleveland and Toronto paid the price for being too short-sighted.

able
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
By giving in to the demands under the pretext of salcaging something you are perpetuating a system you want to break, so sure that they are gone ?
Lebron is not the right example, but so what let several teams maneuver to get under the cap, in general that is good for talent influx in other teams, because more players become available in a potentially smaller market.

Point is that by NOT trading you create a busier market where you can sign some AND
that the player in question does not get to eat his cake, since he can only sign leaving lots of money on the table.

Agents might sing different tunes if that scenario rolled in.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Because they can. That is how it is set up to help teams keep their big name player, or at least it was supposed to work that way. Orlando would be happy to pay him that as well.

I understand all of this. I just don't like the fact Orlando may need to fork over millions more a year so he doesn't bolt.

BTW, publicly demanding a trade is also a problem for Orlando. It puts them at a disadvantage at the negotiating table. If he goes further and lists the teams he will be willing to play for, it basically destroys their ability to negotiate and Orlando gets back a pile of poo.

Bottom line is, it's likely Orlando will have to pay Dwight a lot more money to keep him from bolting to LA...and await CP3's arrival. Dwight might even sacrifice the dough so he can dominate in LA.

Dwight is really irreplaceable. If Orlando forks out the extra cash it hurts their ability to build around him. So...he becomes even less happy and ultimately bolts once he's drained Orlando's accounts.

able
12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Perhaps if I am owner of the Magic I may not do it, but on the other hand....

I bet my team going through hell now or in 2 years with a little comp now, against DH leaving 50 million guaranteed income on the table, I think i take that bet.

rock747
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
But when these teams trade theses guys the players get to go to places they want. If they just left via free agency they would have to go places that have the cap space right?

Kstat
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
not publicly demanding a trade only clouds the situation, plus it gives the other team the illusion that you might stay.

All you heard tom Otis Smith the last few days was, "we'd like to keep Dwight here, and he hasn't come out and said he won't stay."

The magic themselves basically FORCED Dwight to go public with this, because apparently they didn't think he was serious about wanting out.

Kstat
12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
But when these teams trade theses guys the players get to go to places they want. If they just left via free agency they would have to go places that have the cap space right?

right. Their options are limited, but so are the options of the teams they leave.

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Is it even worth it anymore to try to build a winner with a superstar unless you're a big market/warm climate? 3-4 years ago maybe. Now if you don't win a championship with them in 6 years, it's you fault, they bolt and you're expected to eat a ***** salad and be happy about it. You might as well go about it the 2004 Pistons way.

If players were like this 25 years ago, Michael Jordan would've demanded a trade from the Bulls before they would've won their first title.

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Sources: Howard requested trade from Magic to Nets

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
35 minutes ago

Orlando Magic superstar Dwight Howard has requested a trade to the New Jersey Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday.

Orlando GM Otis Smith has made it clear that he will trade Howard wherever the Magic get the best possible package, but the fact that Howard is willing to sign a five-year, $109 million extension with New Jersey makes it likely that the Nets can be the most aggressive in offering an attractive package. New Jersey has been pursuing possible third team partners to strengthen the offer for Howard, front office sources tell Y! Sports

More From Adrian WojnarowskiBillups warns teams not to claim him off waivers Dec 10, 2011 Hornets resubmit Paul-to-Lakers deal to league Dec 10, 2011 Smith confirmed that Howard has asked to be traded to the Orlando Sentinel on Saturday afternoon.

Los Angeles had long been a preferred choice of Howard’s, but sources say that several factors have pushed him toward the Nets over the Lakers. Howard has a strong relationship with Deron Williams, and has also resisted following the same career path as Shaquille O’Neal, who left the Magic for the Lakers two decades ago.

The Nets are offering a package centered on Brook Lopez, and multiple first-round picks, sources said. New Jersey could also be looking for deals to sweeten its offer to Orlando. The Nets have been determined to make a deal for Howard, one of the league’s most dominant players, to be a centerpiece for them as the move into the new Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn next season. Howard could pair with All-Star point guard Deron Williams to make the Nets instant Eastern Conference contenders.

The Magic are still focused on a possible trade to the Lakers, sources said, for a package that would include Andrew Bynum. The Magic want to unload Hedo Turkoglu in any deal that includes Howard. The Nets, flush with salary cap space, would likely take Turkoglu into a deal.

Howard prefers to the Nets over the Lakers, but hasn’t ruled out the possibility that he would sign a long-term extension with L.A. should he be traded there.

Howard has determined that he wants to be the centerpiece of the new Brooklyn arena, and pair up with All-Star guard Deron Williams when the Nets to move to New York next season.

Orlando officials have resisted being told where Howard wants to be traded, sources said, but understand it will be difficult to get a strong trade package elsewhere if Howard won’t commit to re-signing with that team. After opting out of his contract on July 1, Howard would be eligible for a five year, $109 million extension with the Nets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_howard_requests_trade_magic_nets_12101 1

owl
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Can we go back to the lockout?

Oh we will, six years from now. And this time you can count on a year being missed.
Despite all that I still want to see the Pacers play.

Pacerized
12-10-2011, 08:47 PM
The Raptors said "no" a hundred times to Chris Bosh, and then it was too late.

GMs are scared as **** now BECAUSE bosh Cleveland and Toronto paid the price for being too short-sighted.

There is a huge difference now. Bosh and Lebron were able to still force a Bird rights contract under the old cba by blackmailing their teams into sign and trades. They were both paid a lot more money then if they simply signed elsewhere as a free agent like Chandler just did.
All Orlando has to do is say no and see if Howard is willing to walk away from the extra year and additional 3% in annual raises which is basically saying is he willing to walk away from over $37 million.
So far this has yet to be tested but I think most players would choose to stay for the money. Teams just have to have the backbone to call their bluffs.

rexnom
12-10-2011, 08:51 PM
The new CBA definitely makes leaving your team more damaging. That's why Paul and Howard want to get traded and not test free agency.

Really?
12-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Indy could get in on the trade, Brush to Orlando and grab Marshon Brooks from the Nets, no need to go after Crawford then, then Pay NeNe his money.

Basketball Fan
12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Is it even worth it anymore to try to build a winner with a superstar unless you're a big market/warm climate? 3-4 years ago maybe. Now if you don't win a championship with them in 6 years, it's you fault, they bolt and you're expected to eat a ***** salad and be happy about it. You might as well go about it the 2004 Pistons way.

If players were like this 25 years ago, Michael Jordan would've demanded a trade from the Bulls before they would've won their first title.

He almost did then they hired Phil Jackson drafted Scottie Pippen and built a winner out of that.

I think people assume the superstar is the way to go to build a title contender. And while it helps to have one you can always go the international route(Dirk) and build around him.

Really?
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
or maybe we could get Daniel Orton out the deal somehow, he still probably has a ton of work left to be decent in the NBA but he has potential and could turn out to be a good big man in a few years.

Sparhawk
12-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Indy could get in on the trade, Brush to Orlando and grab Marshon Brooks from the Nets, no need to go after Crawford then, then Pay NeNe his money.

I'd be up for Marshon.

Ozwalt72
12-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I think people assume the superstar is the way to go to build a title contender. And while it helps to have one you can always go the international route(Dirk) and build around him.

This makes no sense.

Kemo
12-10-2011, 08:58 PM

+1
Yea I just read on hoopshype..

"Magic center Dwight Howard specifically requested to be traded to the Nets, according to Yahoo! Sports ... "

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/#ixzz1gBP56OWK

edit to add: just seen someone else above me posted this info before I got to page 2.. lol

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh we will, six years from now. And this time you can count on a year being missed.
Despite all that I still want to see the Pacers play.

Oooo alright, but who can predict the future?

I'd rather listen to this than labor negotiations by miles.

Hopefully once the season begins, we can get back to enjoying watching the Pacers. I feel like many of us are still in the whole lockout summer mode.

CableKC
12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I hope that the Magic' starting asking price is:

Brook Lopez + AT LEAST two 1st round picks + Marshon Brooks

for

Dwight + Hedo

I hate that Superstars are dictating where they go...but the Team losing the Player should be able to get a very good deal out losing the Superstar.

On top of that, I want to make sure that the the Nets take on more guaranteed Salary to take them out of the running for Nene.

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I like Marshon Brooks.

Sparhawk
12-10-2011, 09:04 PM

for

Dwight + Hedo

I hate that Superstars are dictating where they go...but the Team losing the Player should be able to get a very good deal out losing the Superstar.

Why couldn't we also get involved?

Kstat
12-10-2011, 09:05 PM
You could....but would Bird trade for Dwight if he coudln't get a real commitment?

Look, if Indiana offered Roy, Granger, George and a pick or two for Dwight Howard and Turkoglu, he's a Pacer tomorrow. But that isn't happening without Dwight agreeing to an extension.

Ozwalt72
12-10-2011, 09:05 PM

for

Dwight + Hedo

Yeah, that looks more like the Nets starting asking price.

Edit: Of course, I think Brook Lopez is comically overrated.

Kstat
12-10-2011, 09:07 PM
for that to be true, he'd have to be highly rated by anyone.

Ozwalt72
12-10-2011, 09:09 PM
for that to be true, he'd have to be highly rated by anyone.

You'd be surprised.

Shade
12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
You could....but would Bird trade for Dwight if he coudln't get a real commitment?

Look, if Indiana offered Roy, Granger, George and a pick or two for Dwight Howard and Turkoglu, he's a Pacer tomorrow. But that isn't happening without Dwight agreeing to an extension.

I don't think we'd have to offer that much. A good youngster (George/Hibbert), a couple of #1's, and a salary dump might be more enticing to Orlando.

Of course, as you said, Dwight would have to agree to an extension here first.

Kstat
12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Ken Berger: Nets will need third or fourth team to get Dwight, but source says "will not be a problem." Twitter

Kstat
12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
VERY interesting. I wonder who the 3rd or 4th teams would be?

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Are they trying to pawn Hedo off on somebody?

CooperManning
12-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Is Hedo likely to be involved in any Dwight trade?

Kstat
Adrian Wojnarowski: Jason Richardson has reached agreement on a four year, $25M deal with the Orlando Magic, league source tells Y! Sports. Twitter

Basketball Fan
Me me me me me

Now now now now now

More more more more more

The NBA.

That's the landscape of professional sports and really society in general everyone is out for themselves.

This is nothing new.

rexnom
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Cap space? No problem! We've got that! Could we absorb Hedo and a pick and then amnesty him?

Aw Heck
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Cap space? No problem! We've got that! Could we absorb Hedo and a pick and then amnesty him?
Nope. You can only amnesty someone who was on your team prior to the lockout.

CooperManning
12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't understand what the function of the 3rd or 4th team could be.

New Jersey's best package is what, Brook Lopez, Marshon Brooks, and a couple of first rounders?

It seems like Orlando would want all of those pieces for a rebuild. I guess another team could be taking Brook Lopez, but who wants Lopez bad enough to give up decent young players/picks?

And no team is going to be willing to take Hedo's contract, unless they're also getting Dwight.

Basketball Fan
12-10-2011, 09:24 PM
This makes no sense.

I guess I should've clarified.

People here think building a contender requires a superstar like Howard, LeBron etc one here in the states. Yet these guys are more interested in building their brand than sticking with the same franchise and being a big fish in a small pond.

And there's the Mavs who have a contender and built it around someone who wasn't even from here. And while Dirk is a star I'm not sure I'd put him in the same level as Kobe and Lebron either. I guess compared to his teammates sure.

The Mavs found a way and Dallas isn't even a big market but they have an owner that's willing to spend and good management. And they built it around a player that isn't interested in his brand one bit.

I think small market teams should start looking into that model to build a contender

Is what I meant.
The

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Dwight Howard has requested a trade to the Nets
■By Chris Sheridan
■December 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM
That is the news out of Orlando this evening, and now it is a question of whether New Jersey has enough pieces to get the deal done.

It has been well known that New Jersey is willing to deal center Brook Lopez and two first-round draft picks to Orlando, taking back the contract of Hedo Turkoglu in the deal to give Orlando salary cap flexibility.

But is that enough to get the league’s most dominant center? Also, can the Nets clear more than $5 million in salary cap space to make the deal work under NBA trade rules? My sources tell me New Jersey is confident it can clear the additional cap room, so the timetable on getting this mega-deal done could be quick rather than slow. (Trading Jordan Farmar and Damion James for a draft pick would get the Nets the room they need).

Turkoglu has a 15 percent trade kicker, which would bump his salary from $10.6 million to $12.2 million. Howard is making $18.1 million this season, so the Nets would be sending only $3.08 million out and getting back $31.3 million in salary. Using the amnesty clause on Travis Outlaw ($7 million) would get New Jersey’s cap number down to the $33 million range, hence the need to clear an extra $5 million to fit both Howard and Turkoglu in under the cap.

Here is more on this story from Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, who was the first to report the news of Howard’s trade request:

“(Magic general manager Otis) Smith said Howard has made the request twice in separate conversations since Monday. Smith emphasized that the Magic want to keep Howard long-term, and he added that Howard and his camp haven’t told the team that he definitely will not remain with the franchise. Indeed, Smith repeated what Magic officials have said for days: that the team will make every effort to keep the All-NBA First Team center. “We wouldn’t be who we are if we don’t take a look around all 29 teams and try to make the best deal for the Orlando Magic, Smith said. “He can have his list of teams that he would like to go to, and we’ve probably got a few on our list of teams that we would like. But at the end of the day, we want him here and we want him in a Magic uniform for his career. With that said, we’re going to make the best possible deal that we can make if we have to trade him.”

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2011/12/10/dwight-howard-has-requested-a-trade-to-the-nets/

Hicks
12-10-2011, 09:32 PM
It isn't Howard's place to hire his own boss.

Could have fooled me; they seem to be everyone's boss anymore. We know they can get coaches fired, too.

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Nope. You can only amnesty someone who was on your team prior to the lockout.

So basically, the amnesty is only temporary?

Hicks

That's how it basically feels to me. Best bet is the long shot of replicating the Pistons. And even that is very difficult.

CooperManning
Well, it sounds like Nene's back up for grabs.

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 09:37 PM
seems to me that Nene can go just about anywhere he wants. figuring S&T gets players where ever they desire.

Shade
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Dwight is arguably my favorite NBA player right now, but it is kind of disappointing that he didn't show the same faith to the Magic that the Magic showed him when they took him #1 over Okafor.

I'm also bummed that he didn't even consider us. Not surprised, but bummed nonetheless.

Oh well, at least it isn't the Lakers.

Shade
12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, it sounds like Nene's back up for grabs.

I was really hoping to at least try to make a run at Dwight, but if there is no chance of him coming here, I'm no longer opposed to overpaying a bit for Nene.

See, able? This is what leads to small market teams overpaying for players.

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh well, at least it isn't the Lakers.

Not done yet, this could just be a diversion to the front office to ok the other mega trade.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Dwight's probably headed to Jersey. Nene to Houston. Chandler to New York. West to Boston.

...and of course, Pendergraph and his injured knee to the Pacers...

rabid
12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Me me me me me

Now now now now now

More more more more more

The NBA.

American culture...

vnzla81
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Dwight's probably headed to Jersey. Nene to Houston. Chandler to New York. West to Boston.

Don't forget Landry, championship baby........ :bdance: :bdance: Ok but At least we would have cap space to help the big teams to get cap space ........

CableKC
12-10-2011, 09:58 PM
VERY interesting. I wonder who the 3rd or 4th teams would be?
As long as it's not the Pacers, I don't care. There is NOTHING on either the Nets or Magic Roster that I'd be interested in taking on that could be sent out.

CableKC
12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Are they trying to pawn Hedo off on somebody?
Yeah...I doubt that anyone will want to take on his huge@ss contract.

Shade
12-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Don't forget Paul to L.A.!

:sigh:

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Josh Robbins: Dwight Howard says he forgives anyone who has called him names or been mean to him over his decision. :(

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/trade

CableKC
12-10-2011, 10:11 PM

New Jersey's best package is what, Brook Lopez, Marshon Brooks, and a couple of first rounders?

It seems like Orlando would want all of those pieces for a rebuild. I guess another team could be taking Brook Lopez, but who wants Lopez bad enough to give up decent young players/picks?

And no team is going to be willing to take Hedo's contract, unless they're also getting Dwight.
Brook can fetch a 1st+Prospect+Filler IMHO. Brook is no Roy Hibbert.....but he's a decent Starting quality Center that's a solid scorer that can block a few shots and is a below average rebounder for a Center....oh wait....nevermind...bad comparison.:mad:

Either way, he can still fetch something halfway decent.

However, I don't see why the Magic wouldn't want Brook Lopez...he's still on a rookie contract and is a decent Starting Center to use as a foundation piece for a rebuilding Team.

CableKC
12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
So basically, the amnesty is only temporary?
No, the Player has to be on your Roster PRIOR to the lockout in order to amnesty him. For example, if you trade for Hedo....you cannot amnesty him since he wasn't on your roster PRIOR to the lockout. But you can amnesty anyone on your roster PRIOR to the lockout...like Posey or Inferno.

CableKC
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
That's how it basically feels to me. Best bet is the long shot of replicating the Pistons. And even that is very difficult.
This is what I'm thinking. Build the deepest and best 9-10 man roster that you can build that is under contract for 3-4 years and make the best run that you can.

The Pistons are the perfect model to follow. They beat a slightly over the hill Laker Team with 4 All-Stars ( Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton ) by overwhelming them with defense.

Scot Pollard
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
No, the Player has to be on your Roster PRIOR to the lockout in order to amnesty him. For example, if you trade for Hedo....you cannot amnesty him since he wasn't on your roster PRIOR to the lockout. But you can amnesty anyone on your roster PRIOR to the lockout...like Posey or Inferno.

I understand that, but in a way it is temporary because sometime down the road, the players worth using the amnesty clause on will have expired anyway.

So even in a trade like you said getting Hedo, you could not amnesty him.

edit - Can you do it next season? Say you are traded Hedo, can you amnesty him NEXT offseason? That's where my take on this being "temporary" take place.
:

tadscout
12-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Sounds like they need to clear a little more cap space to take on Turkoglu.

CableKC
12-10-2011, 10:21 PM
(Trading Jordan Farmar and Damion James for a draft pick would get the Nets the room they need).
I pity the Team that would give up a 1st round pick for Farmar or Damian Jones.

NOTE - I know that we suck...but I'd live with Lance as our backup PG before taking on Farmar and giving away a 1st round pick in a deep draft.

That's what confuses me....the Nets and Magic LITERALLY have no assets that I can see any Team be interested in that would send back ANY form of assets that is worth taking on.

Kemo
12-10-2011, 10:23 PM

right, but I was under impression that said player had to be amnestied before the start of the season...

xBulletproof
12-10-2011, 10:25 PM

NOTE - I know that we suck...but I'd live with Lance as our backup PG before taking on Farmar and giving away a 1st round pick in a deep draft.

That's what confuses me....the Nets and Magic LITERALLY have no assets that I can see any Team be interested in that would send back ANY form of assets that is worth taking on.

They said A pick, not a 1st rounder. If I'm getting Dwight, I'll give players away for a 2nd to do it.

tadscout
12-10-2011, 10:26 PM

They don't need another 1st... they need to get rid of them to clear cap space... which could be done with a 2nd rounder... (I'd think the Bobcats would be a possibility)

12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Be steadfast Orlando.

Make this punk play in a Magic jersey this year. Then he can take a pay-cut to play on the Jersey Shore.

Pacersalltheway10
12-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I find it comical how all these "superstars" are requesting trades to play with their friends on contenders when in order to get to that team, the contender has to trade half their team for said player. (Knicks, Nets...Heat got :censored: lucky due to Cleveland and toronto's mistakes.)

Then when they get to that team, they are wondering why they are struggling to win. IT TAKES A TEAM EFFORT. This was demonstrated in this years finals. The Mavs played as a team while Miami played as a 2 and a half man show. Even with 2 likely HOF and greatest NBA players ever and an all star, miami still couldnt win it all.

If players were actually smart, theyd go to young, budding teams who are a superstar away from a championship and contending. for example: The Clippers, Pacers, and even Warriors.

Imagine CP3 on the Clipps:

pg: CP3
sg: Eric Gordon
SF: Aminu
PF: Griffin
C: Kaman

or Howard on the Pacers:
pg: DC
sg: PG24
sf: Granger
PF: Howard
C: Hibbert

Now look at the Nets and Knicks:

Nets:
pg: Deron Williams
sg: Morrow
sf: Outlaw
pf: Humphries
C: Lopez /no bench

Knicks:

pg: ??? ( Billups is likely finished in NYC)
sg: fields
sf: Carmelo
PF: Amare
C: Chandler/ no bench

Pacersalltheway10
12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
People say Lebron went to Miami to win. No, he went their to play with his friends. If he went their to truly win a ring he wouldnt have had bosh come with him. and they could have used the money for a better bench.

CooperManning
12-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Lebron would have gone to Chicago if he wanted rings.

Pacersalltheway10
12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I hate the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls but they won championships without a bunch of 1st team All NBAers. And I respect them greater for that.

Ozwalt72
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I hate the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls but they won championships without a bunch of 1st team All NBAers. And I respect them greater for that.

Which championships were those?

CooperManning
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Huh?

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

That didn't come out right, did it? ;)

Major Cold
12-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Lebron would have gone to Chicago if he wanted rings.

No doubt. Noah anchoring the defense. They could have brought Bosh or Wade. Wind City vs:

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVmswO0BwAuspP0S--3A0oVtT7RqXnKZ_SaQbo9uRZUonFRf3b

CooperManning
12-10-2011, 11:29 PM
No doubt. Noah anchoring the defense. They could have brought Bosh or Wade. Wind City vs:

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVmswO0BwAuspP0S--3A0oVtT7RqXnKZ_SaQbo9uRZUonFRf3b

For sure. D-Rose/any human being/Lebron/Bosh/Noah would have been good for another Chicago 3-peat, minimum. I can't believe they could have afforded it.

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Brian Schmitz: Magic are shopping Dwight Howard beyond just the teams of his choice

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Howard, Turkoglu, Duhon for Hibbert, Granger, Rush, Price and 2012, 2013 1st rnd picks.

Howard / Foster
Hans / Landry
George/ Turkoglu
Hill / Jones
Collison / Duhon

pacer4ever
12-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Brian Schmitz: Magic are shopping Dwight Howard beyond just the teams of his choice

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-1211-bulls-chicago--20111211,0,7088049.story

im sure the Bulls wont be the only outside team interested.

CableKC
12-11-2011, 12:00 AM
They said A pick, not a 1st rounder. If I'm getting Dwight, I'll give players away for a 2nd to do it.
I'd want a future 1st round pick if that was the case......:;)

tadscout
12-11-2011, 02:06 AM
@Mike_Bresnahan (http://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan)
Source confirms that Odom is gone "for sure," and Paul trade has fallen apart. Not for Howard, either. Source: It's a straight salary dump.

So D12 is pretty much up to Chi or NJ

trs72
12-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Howard, Turkoglu, Duhon for Hibbert, Granger, Rush, Price and 2012, 2013 1st rnd picks.

Howard / Foster
Hans / Landry
George/ Turkoglu
Hill / Jones
Collison / Duhon

While that sounds good, other than losing Granger we have no real threat from 3. One major problem is Dwight wont want to come here. Dwight want paired with atleast 1 of his superfriends. I highly doubt we will ever get a superstar unless we get lucky and draft one unless we have a homegrown superstar thats wants to come home and play. It really ticks me off to see how the top players in the league are forcing trades to play together.

Really?
12-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Howard / Foster
Hans / Landry
George/ Turkoglu
Hill / Jones
Collison / Duhon

While that sounds good, other than losing Granger we have no real threat from 3. One major problem is Dwight wont want to come here. Dwight want paired with atleast 1 of his superfriends. I highly doubt we will ever get a superstar unless we get lucky and draft one unless we have a homegrown superstar thats wants to come home and play. It really ticks me off to see how the top players in the league are forcing trades to play together.

Ummm idk, sounds to me like another under-performing team, I doubt they would win be more than a 6th, possibly 5th seed in the east, and then to throw in 2 draft picks for that team does not make much sense to me.

Howard can only do so much for a team.

Sandman21
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Jared_Wade Jared Wade
RT @KevinDing: I'm told there's no way Lakers are trading Bynum and Gasol for Dwight Howard.
1 minute ago

rock747
12-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Dwight howard is so full of **** its disgusting. He's leaving because they didn't give him input. Stop lying to people, you're leaving because you want to!!