PDA

View Full Version : Is Tyler The Tim Tebow Of The NBA?

presto123
12-10-2011, 01:08 AM
I just posted this in a thread reply. It really makes a lot of sense. They were both college legends who were both doubted by the critics that they could play effectively at the next level. They both have a very unorthodox style(Tyler looks awkward at times) but it seems both have overcome this somewhat by giving flat out 100 percent. Will either one ever make an all star team though? Only time will tell. A new term: You just got PSYCHO'D!:devil:

HC
12-10-2011, 01:11 AM
I don't know. While both are unorthodox at times I think Tyler has a better chance to succeed because he isn't the main piece of his team whereas Tebow is the QB. I don't know though, Tim is undefeated right?

PaceBalls
12-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Tyler isn't as outspoken or as obnoxious as Tim. The whole college legend to doubtful pro angle I can see.

presto123
12-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Tyler isn't as outspoken or as obnoxious as Tim. The whole college legend to doubtful pro angle I can see.

I've never seen Tim as obnoxious. I guess he's outspoken about his religious beliefs but both seem fairly humble to me.

Hicks
12-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Somewhat.

aceace
12-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Tebow relies on Jesus, Hansbrough relies on the weight room.

trs72
12-10-2011, 01:17 AM
I just posted this in a thread reply. It really makes a lot of sense. They were both college legends who were both doubted by the critics that they could play effectively at the next level. They both have a very unorthodox style(Tyler looks awkward at times) but it seems both have overcome this somewhat by giving flat out 100 percent. Will either one ever make an all star team though? Only time will tell. A new term: You just got PSYCHO'D!:devil:

LOL, I told my wife Tyler is the Tebow of the NBA. He does things differently than others but is a winner and will have to continue to prove himself over and over.

presto123
12-10-2011, 01:18 AM

Tebow's arms are HUGE. I don't think Jesus did all of that:laugh: I can imagine those safties HATE having to tackle Tebow.

Pacer Fan
12-10-2011, 01:19 AM
No

Kstat
12-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Jimmer is the Tebow of the NBA...

PacerGuy
12-10-2011, 01:26 AM

Jesus did carry that cross & moved that bolder, both were pretty impressive, so there is more in common then you think!

Psyren
12-10-2011, 01:31 AM
In a way, yes.

GizzyStardust
12-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Let's hope so because Tebow frickin' rocks!

Bball
12-10-2011, 01:49 AM
In that their fans overrate them more than the players themselves (who both seem to be hard workers who don't have overinflated egos) Yes....

...While their detractors cannot see any or much good in them (while the players themselves continue to work hard and don't seem to do anything to harm the team and play within themselves)... yes...

aceace
12-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Tebow should get a crown of thorns painted on his helmet.

rm1369
12-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Limited hardworking players that are overrated by a fanatical fan base? I think I can see the comparison.

Haywoode Workman
12-10-2011, 02:23 AM
I am a Tebow fan. Just seems like a genuinely positive dude. Can't beat that.

Infinite MAN_force
12-10-2011, 02:25 AM
I've used this comparison for my friends who don't follow the NBA, of which there are many.

Its a convienient comparison, if a bit oversimplified.

joeyd
12-10-2011, 02:32 AM
I am a Tebow fan. Just seems like a genuinely positive dude. Can't beat that.

I generally like the guy and wish him well, but I can't bear it when people insist on publicizing their religious beliefs and allegiance to their religion during just about every interview. So in that respect, he and Tyler are different, and I hope they remain different at least in that respect.

pacers74
12-10-2011, 05:31 AM
They are similar in the way that they both are 2 of the best players at their sport ever in college, when they were both drafted they had critics who thought they went to high, and they both are big strong guys who don't play the game/position the way most others play it. Now saying that, I think Tyler fits more in the NBA than Tebow fits into the NFL. With Tebow, the Broncos are having to change their whole offense to make things work with him. Tyler on the other hand plays an a little unorthodoxed, but the Pacers didn't have to change their whole game plan to accomadate his style of play.
Now off the court/field I think they are probably nothing alike. Tyler has those crazy videos of ping pong and jumping off of a house into a pool. Tebow probably spends his off time in church.

Lance George
12-10-2011, 06:18 AM
I've been pulling for Tebow to succeed for a few years now just because I like to see overly negative people, like Tebow haters (many of whom seem to be anti-religion bigots), get shown up. That all indications are Tebow's an outstanding human being makes me wanna see him stick it to his haters even more.

Cutesy but nonfactual.

6'3" Tim Tebow weighed 236 lb. at the NFL combine (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66563&draftyear=2010&genpos=QB).
6'9" Tyler Hansbrough weighed 234 lb. at the NBA combine (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=All&source=All).

Despite being six-inches shorter, Tebow still outweighed the muscular Hansbrough by two-pounds. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say those aren't fat pounds, either.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxY8Bbna20o?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxY8Bbna20o?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I think Hansbrough was the NBA's version of Tebow, but has silenced his critics enough that they've moved on to new things to irrationally and obnoxiously hate, like Jimmer Fredette.

TMJ31
12-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Tebow should get a crown of thorns painted on his helmet.

So because the guy is an unapologetic Christian who (from my limited knowledge of him) does all he can to be a positive role model, we should throw garbage like this out at him?

... Nice

Living in SoCal, I am quite used to seeing people of faith (of which I myself am counted) get mocked and made out to be the 'bad guys'. But here on PD I think we are better than that.

Wow.

Steagles
12-10-2011, 07:05 AM
As a proud Christian myself, I like that Tebow is outspoken about his faith. Is that what makes him good? Not a chance. His hard work in the practice facilities does that. What makes Tim Tebow "Tebow" is proving everyone wrong over and over. Has Tyler done that? Somewhat. Can he make a bigger impact to further prove himself? Absolutely. Please, enough about his religion.

BlueNGold
12-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Well then, I'll be praying for Tyler.

Unclebuck
12-10-2011, 09:41 AM

That seems way unfair. How do you know Tebow doesnt lift weights

Lance George
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
That seems way unfair. How do you know Tebow doesnt lift weights

If he honestly thinks a 240 lb. NFL quarterback doesn't spend anytime in the weight room, then he's (checks infraction point total)...

Never mind. :-p

JEM
12-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Hansbrough is actually pretty decent at what he does though.. Tebow has a sub 50% completion percentage and relies on his defense to keep games close and get turnovers.

Tebow must not be very knowledgeable with bible teachings since he is doing the same things the pharisees did in which Jesus scorned them for and that was boastfully pray loudly in the middle of a crowd to show their " faith " . He does the same thing as he has been caught several times in his football career looking for a camera to do his religious display.

PaceBalls
12-10-2011, 12:48 PM
must... not... make... fun... so... hard... :footinmou

luis3ep
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
in a way.. but i strongly dislike tebow and i strongly like Hans.

trs72
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Hansbrough is actually pretty decent at what he does though.. Tebow has a sub 50% completion percentage and relies on his defense to keep games close and get turnovers.

Tebow must not be very knowledgeable with bible teachings since he is doing the same things the pharisees did in which Jesus scorned them for and that was boastfully pray loudly in the middle of a crowd to show their " faith " . He does the same thing as he has been caught several times in his football career looking for a camera to do his religious display.

I have never seen him looking for a camera to do what you call his religious display. Camera's are always on him so he dont really need to search for them even if he is,lol, which i dont think he is.

Pacergeek
12-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Yes. I have thought this for a long time. Both guys are hated for no reason, and both guys were great in college, and both guys have proven their doubters, including myself, completely wrong

joeyd
12-10-2011, 01:12 PM
As a proud Christian myself, I like that Tebow is outspoken about his faith. Is that what makes him good? Not a chance....Please, enough about his religion.

It's not about his chosen religion. I would support anyone in having their own religious beliefs. I think most on this board would do that also. I think it's more about how he chooses to engage others about his religion. When people are watching a sports broadcast, they have obviously made a conscious decision to tune into that program, rather than attend Bible Study. Religion, like politics, is something that should not be force-fed to people that have no interest in it. One can be proud and secure in their religion without having to be outspoken about it, especially in the wrong venues. Ask yourself this? Even though most people are tolerant of other people's sexual preferences, would you want to see a football player keep advocating for homosexual civil rights during his interviews? There is a place and time for everything.

BornReady
12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
No. Tyler is the Tyler Hansbrough of the NBA.

PaceBalls
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
One thing about Tim Tebow, he is probably the only professional sports player who is still a virgin. Or so he claims that he is "saving himself for marriage". You gotta admire the willpower that must take!

Lance George
12-10-2011, 01:34 PM
One thing about Tim Tebow, he is probably the only professional sports player who is still a virgin. Or so he claims that he is "saving himself for marriage". You gotta admire the willpower that must take!

There are lots of things about Tim Tebow that decent, moral, rational people find admirable, and indecent, immoral, irrational people find contemptible. ;)

PaceBalls
12-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Ahh yes, the immorality of unmarried sex, so irrational and indecent :laugh:

Heisenberg
12-10-2011, 02:02 PM
There are lots of things about Tim Tebow that decent, moral, rational people find admirable, and indecent, immoral, irrational people find contemptible. ;)
http://blog.heartland.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/homer_jump_the_shark.gif

Kid Minneapolis
12-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I like Tebow. 1) He's a lot better than people give him credit for, he just doesn't fit the prototype. 2) He's just a nice kid.

In a world full of T.O.'s and Moss's and Ochocinco's and other blessed athletes who say stupid ****, Tebow just hits the weight room, suits up and proves everyone wrong. His win-loss record at every rank seems to indicate that he's better at what he does than you might think.

And in that regard, he's a lot like Hansbrough.

12-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Once upon a time.

Today, Tyler is a respectable power forward. He is no longer polarizing because it is clear that while he was a good draft choice he is not a superstar. Meanwhile, Tebow is a quarterback and the face of a franchise, and his future is unclear. Tyler will never receive Tebow-like scorn. Not to mention, some of Tebow's agitation has created is faith-based.

gummy
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
This thread is riding the "will it or won't it get locked" wave.:lurk:

Lance George
12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
WTF?

The Following 4,294,967,295 Users Say Thank You to GrangeRusHibbert For This Useful Post:

:laugh:

Robertmto
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
with all due respect....this is the DUMBEST THING i've ever seen on the boards

xBulletproof
12-10-2011, 08:24 PM
WTF?

The Following 4,294,967,295 Users Say Thank You to GrangeRusHibbert For This Useful Post:

Well, he's the board leader in thanks now. :laugh:

Hicks
12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
WTF?

God must have clicked Thanks.....

presto123
12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Tebow does it again in an unwinnable game. This is crazy. How can there not be divine intervention?

cdash
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
WTF?

PD should sell ad space with that many users. Hicks could clean up.

PaceBalls
12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Tim is making me a believer.. :laugh:

aceace
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
So because the guy is an unapologetic Christian who (from my limited knowledge of him) does all he can to be a positive role model, we should throw garbage like this out at him?

... Nice

Living in SoCal, I am quite used to seeing people of faith (of which I myself am counted) get mocked and made out to be the 'bad guys'. But here on PD I think we are better than that.

Wow.Really... it was just a joke. I have the up most respect for Tebow
but I will leave this with you.

The Teachings of Jesus
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him" (Matthew 6:5-8).

Naptown_Seth
12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
In that their fans overrate them more than the players themselves (who both seem to be hard workers who don't have overinflated egos) Yes....

...While their detractors cannot see any or much good in them (while the players themselves continue to work hard and don't seem to do anything to harm the team and play within themselves)... yes...
Yeah, it's a good comparison.

In both cases you see lots of problems that are actually hurting the team/effort and yet wins/success continue to come to them.

I mean don't tell me that 50% completion is a good thing, it just isn't. Shooting 3/14 while failing to move the ball to guys like Danny, Roy or Paul is not productive either. That's not opinion, that's a fairly pragmatic view of things.

But "will" is a skill set just like "brains", I'll always defend that. Having hops or handles but not knowing when to use them or losing the drive to push through despite previous failures don't take you very far either.

I keep waiting for these other teams to figure out what Tyler is about, but so far on most nights they seem caught off guard by what his game is. And it seems like that might be true for Tebow too.

Let's be fair though, Tebow has a higher success rate in his pro career. On the other hand Tebow is a smaller piece of the total picture. Would the Colts really be winning with Tebow throwing 50% instead of Dan O or KP? I doubt it.