PDA

View Full Version : Television Recommendations

SycamoreKen
11-30-2011, 01:59 PM
We are going to purchase our first flat screen in the very near future. We are looking for something between 40-48 inches. We will not be going high end, no 3-D, but wouldn't mind wi-fi included so we can hook up to our wireless network. We will not have a sound system installed and would like to keep the cost under $1,000. We will be hooking it up to Time Warner for our HD service if that matters.

Hicks
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I've been very happy with the 42" Panasonic plasma set I got back in the fall of 2008. I'd start by reading reviews for their 2011 models. The biggest downside is I believe plasmas are relative power hogs, but in terms of picture quality, I like them a lot. The only problem is I got mine for $1200 (and that was after haggling at HH Gregg, I think the set cost $1400 or $1500).

RWB
11-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Many opinions out there Ken and all have legit reasons for their picks. If you're a gamer then you have to go toward an LCD or LED. Advantage is you never have to worry about burn-in (plasma has come a long way though) and power consumption is much lower.

If you're looking at pure picture quality movie watching at it's core and price then plasma is hard to beat and my peronal favorite.

Under a thousand and you've got so many options to pick through. I've got one 65" Panasonic plasma (amazing picture), two 50" Samsung plasmas (amazing picture), and two 37" Vizio LCDs (720p and still good looking). I'm not disappointed in any of them. Just stay away from the Sanyo, Emerson, cheapest brands.

Hicks
11-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Burn in is a thing of the past. I play games all the time, and the worst thing to ever happen was bouts of 'ghosting' which is where the image lingers but eventually goes away, and is often hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

I've also noticed less ghosting as time has gone on with my set.

Plus with plasma you have best possible refresh rate. None of that 60hz versus 120 hz stuff.

travmil
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
You will get off MUCH cheaper than that now. LG 60" Plasma sets can be had right now for just under $1k. I'd say if you want to go the 42" range you could come in at $500 or less pretty easily if you shop around.

My set is a 40" Samsung LCD. Nothing but good things to say about it. I paid $699 for it two years ago. Now the Samsung 40" LCD sets go between $400 and $500.

RWB
11-30-2011, 02:21 PM
The image retention still bugs me though and I've seen sets that may take an hour or more to get rid of it sometimes depending on how bright the static image was. Much improved, but you still have to be concious of it. And of course lesser so (probably in your case) where you've adjusted the set to a better calibration.

Edit: Ken you mention looking in the 40 to 48" range. Err on the bigger size buddy, you won't have any regrets unless you absolutely have no room.

SycamoreKen
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys. From what I've read in Consumer Reports, Samsung seems to be a good choice and my in-laws Visio is really nice. The space it is going in is just right for up to 48" by the way.

Bball
11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I bought an Onkyo TX Sr608 home theater receiver last year. I have a Dayton 10" powered sub and some stupid cheap (on sale) Dayton HT speakers and I am very happy with that end of things for the money I spent. I got the Onkyo from some place selling factory refurbs. Parts Express sells the Dayton speakers.

Sparhawk
11-30-2011, 07:22 PM
You will get off MUCH cheaper than that now. LG 60" Plasma sets can be had right now for just under $1k. I'd say if you want to go the 42" range you could come in at $500 or less pretty easily if you shop around.

My set is a 40" Samsung LCD. Nothing but good things to say about it. I paid $699 for it two years ago. Now the Samsung 40" LCD sets go between $400 and $500.

Exactly. I'd say if you are spending over $1k for a 42" that isn't 3d, then you are doing it wrong. You can always find good deals online for TVs.

Gizmodo.com lists daily deals "dealzmodo" on electronics. I'm sure there are other sites you can use as well.

Winner
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I recommend Vizio tvs because they are affordable and solid.

billbradley
12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys. From what I've read in Consumer Reports, Samsung seems to be a good choice and my in-laws Visio is really nice. The space it is going in is just right for up to 48" by the way.

I got a Samsung 51" 1080p 600hz plasma for $599 from Best Buy last weekend because the lockout ended. I love it. I had a 37" Insignia 720p before and it was great, but not like this.

EDIT: Keep in mind, cable broadcasts in 720p HD. So, if you're only watching basketball on cable or DVDs and not Blu Ray or gaming, you could get a 720p TV instead of 1080 and spend more on size, Hz and contrast ratio.

indygeezer
12-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I like my 42'' LCD Panasonic. It is not WIFI tho as its a bit older (4 years)

I have a 40" RCA upstairs still in the box waiting for me to get around to building my man-cave (if ever)

Off Ken for a minute...... We're looking for a 26" flat panel for Geezerette for Christmas. Used is okay as it is going into her dorm room and eventually apt. next year. Price is key $150 or less if possible. ### Nevermind I found one### You may now go back to helping Ken

SycamoreKen
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Let me ask another question. Do I need wifi in the t.v. if I get a wifi enabled blu-ray player or game system? Also, if the t.v. is wifi enabled, can my computer "see" it and use it as a remote monitor or do i have to cable up to it?

billbradley
12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Let me ask another question. Do I need wifi in the t.v. if I get a wifi enabled blu-ray player or game system? Also, if the t.v. is wifi enabled, can my computer "see" it and use it as a remote monitor or do i have to cable up to it?

Yes about the blu ray, but be careful and know the difference between "WiFi ready" and "WiFi built in." If it is not built in it will be cheaper, but you have to buy a USB adapter that can end up being more expensive sometimes.

JBones19
12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I've been very happy with the 42" Panasonic plasma set I got back in the fall of 2008. I'd start by reading reviews for their 2011 models. The biggest downside is I believe plasmas are relative power hogs, but in terms of picture quality, I like them a lot. The only problem is I got mine for $1200 (and that was after haggling at HH Gregg, I think the set cost $1400 or $1500).

I LOVE my 50" Panasonic Plasma. I got it last year at Sears for $900 and it is fantastic for watching sports in HD and playing games. If you don't mind having a heavier TV it's the way to go I think.