PDA

View Full Version : 2011 ACC/Big Ten Challenge thread: Look out, we've got Nebraska...wait, this is basketball? Crap.

Kstat
11-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Here's hoping for a three-peat

11/29:

Miami @ Purdue
Northwestern @ Georgia Tech
Illinois @ Maryland
Michigan @ Virginia
Clemson @ Iowa
Duke @ Ohio State

11/30:

Indiana @ North Carolina State
Penn State @ Boston College
Florida State @ Michigan State
Virginia Tech @ Minnesota
Wake Forest @ Nebraska
Wisconsin @ North Carolina

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I'll honestly be pretty happy if we win this year. Most of the "toss up" games have an ACC home team and that's usually what wins the tournament.

Kstat
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't know. I'm looking it over and seeing 7-5. Northwestern/Ga Tech might be the big swing game.

I really like Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue in their matchups.

Likewise, I think Wisconsin, Nebraska and Minnesota are toast.

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Who do you have winning and losing right now? Why is Minny toast at home?

Kstat
11-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Because Minnesota isn't very good, and Virginia Tech is.

I've got Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana and Michigan State winning on the big 10 side, and Clemson, BC, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and UNC winning on the ACC side.

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I think Northwestern, Indiana, Ohio State and Illinois are all pretty touch and go.

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Also, why didn't they set out a team on each side to avoid the possibility of a tie?

Kstat
11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't think it's that big of a deal.

asmithxc
11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Really surprised you have Wake Forest winning at Nebraska.

Wake is really, really bad. Nebraska is not-terrible and playing at home.

Kstat
11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Wake isn't as terrible as they were last year. It would not shock me if Nebraska beat them, but Nebraska is still Nebraska.

Neither of these teams are very good.

BRushWithDeath
11-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Here's hoping for a three-peat

11/29:

Miami @ Purdue
Northwestern @ Georgia Tech
Illinois @ Maryland
Michigan @ Virginia
Clemson @ Iowa
Duke @ Ohio State
11/30:

Indiana @ North Carolina State
Penn State @ Boston College
Florida State @ Michigan State
Virginia Tech @ Minnesota
Wake Forest @ Nebraska
Wisconsin @ North Carolina

I've got a 6-6 tie.

I think Northwestern has a good shot against G.T.
I wouldn't be shocked if the Illini dropped one in College Park.
Iowa could sneak one out at home against Clemson.
Minnesota is pretty bad but they could get a win at home against a V.T.

I feel pretty strongly about Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, and Michigan State getting wins. That's 5 for the Big Ten.

I think B.C. and UNC should win easily. 2 for the ACC.

5-2 Big Ten with 4 toss ups which I'll predict as going 3-1 ACC.

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm surprised you guys are so much more confident about IU's chances than I am.

Kstat
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Maryland is pretty damn horrible. They might be the worst team in the ACC this season.

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
IU doesn't play Maryland.

Heisenberg
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Speaking of the Big Ten as a whole, Minnesota lost Trevor Mbakwe to a torn ACL. That's going to be huge, they'll be pretty bad now.

cdash
11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't know how it's going to shake out, but I know it will end up being a 6-6 tie.

I echo TJ--I'm not nearly as confident in IU winning at NC State as the rest of you. That game is a total toss up for me.

Ransom
11-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I actually like having the same number of teams, since that means the ACC team with the worst record last year has to play too.

I call Big Ten...8-4!

Foul on Smits
11-29-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't think OSU will beat Duke.

DaveP63
11-29-2011, 10:03 AM
IU's got a decent shot. OSU will not beat the Dukies. No way UNC looses. Probably a 6-6 split.

ECKrueger
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I want to watch duke/osu. I wish it was tomorrow instead.

Since86
11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I want to watch duke/osu. I wish it was tomorrow instead.

Try espn3.com. Or, if you have a gold Xbox live account, you can go to the ESPN app and watch it there.

SycamoreKen
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Speaking of the Big Ten as a whole, Minnesota lost Trevor Mbakwe to a torn ACL. That's going to be huge, they'll be pretty bad now.

That stinks. As an Ind. State fan I was hoping they would have a good season to make the loss look beter later on. I hope he has a full recovery and the rest of the team is able to fill that big hole.

Really?
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
IU's got a decent shot. OSU will not beat the Dukies. No way UNC looses. Probably a 6-6 split.

I think both UNC and Duke have a chance to lose, and Duke and Purdue are my favorite teams. I think that both of these two games will be really close and decided by a couple of plays near the end of the game. Also Harrison Barnes is a hurt and UNC is coming of a lose to UNLV.

Heisenberg
11-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Ken Pomery runs the numbers (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/your_guide_to_the_2011_big_ten_acc_challenge/), says the Big Ten wins it 7-5, 69% chance the Big Ten wins it.

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Kenpom's formula really loves IU he has us a top 20 team in the country right now. So I take everything from him with a grain of salt.

Heisenberg
11-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Kenpom's formula really loves IU he has us a top 20 team in the country right now. So I take everything from him with a grain of salt.
22, and Purdue 13th. So the man is clearly very smart.

cdash
11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know why, but I love the B1G/ACC challenge. Indiana almost never wins these games, but it's fun to watch. I hope the B1G makes it a three peat, and the more I look at the matchups the more I think they will.

Kstat
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Hardaway needs to start games a little better.

Thank god we have trey burke.

cdash
11-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Hardaway needs to start games a little better.

Thank god we have trey burke.

The B1G is counting on you guys winning that game. Don't crap the bed. I know Beilein teams tend to do that.

Suaveness
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
The B1G is counting on you guys winning that game. Don't crap the bed. I know Beilein teams tend to do that.

Speaking of....

Kstat
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Too late.

He put too many guys in positions they had absolutely no business being in.

Virgina is a crappy team. One really good player, but a really crappy team. So what does he do? He puts the 6'4" small forward on their all-conference power forward.

I love Beilein, but he has 1 game a year where it's like he's trying to lose the game. That just happened to be tonight.

Really annoying, because they shouldn't be within 10 points of us, even at home.

And the next time Stu Douglass takes more shots off the dribble than Tim Hardaway, he scholarship should be revoked.

cdash
11-29-2011, 10:01 PM
I think the Wolverines are overrated. Beilein teams live and die on the three point shot. You might catch fire at the right time and make a tourney run, but you also run the risk of crapping the bed against teams you should beat.

Illinois isn't inspiring a great deal of hope against a garbage Maryland team, either.

Kstat
11-29-2011, 10:10 PM
probably the laziest possible assessment of Michigan. They do not live and die at the 3 point line anymore. They're a defensive team first.

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 10:10 PM
I hate to say it, but different year same Michigan.

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Purdue needs to wake up too

cdash
11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
probably the laziest possible assessment of Michigan. They do not live and die at the 3 point line anymore. They're a defensive team first.

Beilein's teams have always been defensive first. Offensively, they live and die at the three point line. It may be a lazy assessment, but it's true.

cdash
11-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Purdue needs to wake up too

Nah, they can stay asleep. Even in the Challenge I won't root for them or their nasty grey uniforms. Those are hideous. Just when you think Purdue couldn't make their color scheme any uglier, they bust out these bad boys.

Kstat
11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Beilein's teams have always been defensive first. Offensively, they live and die at the three point line. It may be a lazy assessment, but it's true.

No, they live and die offensively with Tim Hardaway and Try burke, both of whom play off the dribble.

cdash
11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
No, they live and die offensively with Tim Hardaway and Try burke.

Right, right, right. And three point shots. Why do you think Beilein recruits so many shooters? It's his system. It's the one he used at West Virginia, and it's the one he's used at Michigan. That type of play leads to inconsistency, which is what we continually see out of Michigan.

Kstat
11-29-2011, 10:30 PM
including 3 point shooters as a function of your offense does not mean you "live and die" with them.

I'm also not necessarily seeing inconsistency. So long as you play good defense, you play consistent basketball.

cdash
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
including 3 point shooters as a function of your offense does not mean you "live and die" with them.

I'm also not necessarily seeing inconsistency. So long as you play good defense, you play consistent basketball.

Whoa, really? I thought you only thought three pointers if you based your entire offense around it. My mind is blown. Thanks for the education Detroit.

To me, Michigan has been inconsistent the past few seasons. Maybe that's not the case, but that's sure what it seems like. Since I don't really give a **** about the Wolverines, I'll just agree to disagree.

Heisenberg
11-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Purdue Athletics asked what we thought of the grey uni's on Facebook. General consensus is they suck, which they do. Hope they get retired.

cdash
11-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Purdue Athletics asked what we thought of the grey uni's on Facebook. General consensus is they suck, which they do. Hope they get retired.

They are pretty awful. Apparently grey is in this year...don't understand it. Never liked it when Ohio State did it in the past (and present), don't like it on any other teams. Grey is the new black.

Dab
11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Anthony Johnson giving Purdue a much needed spark in the 2nd half. Purdue definitely kind of sleepwalking through this one, but it is their sixth game in twelve days.

cdash
11-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Iowa is absolutely awful.

Kstat
11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
well, I'm going to go 5-1 in my day 1 picks. ****ing Beilein.

Trader Joe
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
As the older brother to 3 adopted sisters, I gotta say I find the "You're adopted" chants from the Ohio State students super classy. Oh wait, no I don't...********.

ECKrueger
11-30-2011, 02:21 AM
I know I am weird but I didn't mind the grey jerseys. Wasn't a great win, but they never REALLY threatened us. That 0 guy was pretty hot shooting the ball, but that was about it.

Ya, AJ has a sweet floater.

Heisenberg
11-30-2011, 02:57 AM
That was pretty easily Terone Johnson's best game of the year. Hopefully he's getting healthy from the meniscus surgery and it's a sign of things to come.

Foul on Smits
11-30-2011, 04:31 AM
I did not see OSU beating Duke by 20. Good Lord they are scary good. The Big Ten is looking like a dominant conference this year.

BRushWithDeath
11-30-2011, 09:28 AM
I did not see OSU beating Duke by 20. Good Lord they are scary good. The Big Ten is looking like a dominant conference this year.

tOSU is scary good. Aaron Craft is the best PG in college basketball. Jared Sullinger is probably the best player in the country. William Buford is a legit NBA wing right now. But the Big Ten is not a dominant conference this season. tOSU is the only Final Four contender in the league.

Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Purdue, all Final Four threats a year ago, have taken a step back.

Top to bottom, it's better than the ACC. But, despite Duke's shallacking last night, the ACC has two legit Final Four contenders.

Trader Joe
11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
I think Wisconsin could make a run at the final four. Jordan Taylor has to start playing a little better though.

cdash
11-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Aaron Craft is the best PG in college basketball.

I read this and immediately scoffed. I thought, "There is no way that can be right." Well, with the exception of Kendall Marshall (who is probably better than Craft), I can't think of a single guy that I can definitively say is better.

BRushWithDeath
11-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I read this and immediately scoffed. I thought, "There is no way that can be right." Well, with the exception of Kendall Marshall (who is probably better than Craft), I can't think of a single guy that I can definitively say is better.

Kendall Marshall is probably a better offensive player, though I think it's close.

There has not been a point guard defender anywhere close to Craft since Rajon Rondo.

Since86
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I honestly don't understand the Marshall love. He's a great open court passer, but that's about the only thing he does at a high level.

cdash
11-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Sad state of affairs NCAA point guards are at this point. I have another name to toss into the mix: Jordan Taylor.

BRushWithDeath
11-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Sad state of affairs NCAA point guards are at this point. I have another name to toss into the mix: Jordan Taylor.

I love Jordan Taylor.

But I would take Aaron Craft over him. Jordan Taylor will get the 1st team all Big Ten votes because his numbers will be better, but Craft's a better player in my opinion.

cdash
11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I love Jordan Taylor.

But I would take Aaron Craft over him. Jordan Taylor will get the 1st team all Big Ten votes because his numbers will be better, but Craft's a better player in my opinion.

What do you think of their pro prospects? Craft and Taylor? Second rounders?

Slick Pinkham
11-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Purdue has changed their official colors to dryer lint and urine.

BRushWithDeath
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
What do you think of their pro prospects? Craft and Taylor? Second rounders?

I think Craft will stay in college at least one and likely two more years. But I would not hesitate to use a mid-first round pick on him. He's got good NBA point size. He's a decent shooter. He's a good passer with solid court vision. His basketball IQ is extremely high. You could say that about a lot of players though. What sets him apart is his extraordinary lateral quickness. He can keep NBA point guards in front of him and that is a skill which should not be taken lightly. He'll be in the upper echelon of point defenders whenever he enters the league. He's hard nosed and a major competitor.

A legit sized NBA point who is a good passer, sees the floor, is one of, if not the, smartest players on the floor at all times, and is defensively capable of dictating where the offensive player goes with the ball is the ideal player to lead your team.

Yikes. I think I just described the anti-Collison.

Projecting Jordan Taylor is tougher in my opinion. He relies so much on scoring and it's hard for me to see a lot of that translating. I think he'll be an average backup in the league. He actually reminds me a lot of AJ Price. I think he's a second rounder.

I was entirely unimpressed with Kendall Marshall last night. I'm sure it was just a bad game and I'll watch him a few more times as the season goes along but I'd take Craft over him without hesitation at this point.

Ownagedood
12-01-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=staples+easy+button&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=571&tbm=isch&tbnid=LobCDvleieedMM:&imgrefurl=http://jwsokol.com/scc/tag/staples/&docid=WbknNWlHMbUnfM&imgurl=http://jwsokol.com/scc/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/staples-easy-button.png%253Fw%253D300&w=365&h=365&ei=dZjXTuqoEcrs0gGi1uWHDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=240&vpy=174&dur=141&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=129&ty=102&sig=111630554310594923697&page=1&tbnh=108&tbnw=118&start=0&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0
Well, that was easy.

Since86
12-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I was entirely unimpressed with Kendall Marshall last night. I'm sure it was just a bad game and I'll watch him a few more times as the season goes along but I'd take Craft over him without hesitation at this point.

Like I said, I don't understand the Marshall love. He's a great fit for that UNC team, and the style they want to play, but he's not a good PG.

He's slow and unathletic.
He's a horrible shooter.
Not a good defender.
He doesn't run an offense, at all.

He makes great open court passes and that's about it. No way he makes those 40ft passes in the NBA. He'll be picked off, and dunked on more times than he can count.

pacer4ever
12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Like I said, I don't understand the Marshall love. He's a great fit for that UNC team, and the style they want to play, but he's not a good PG.

He's slow and unathletic.
He's a horrible shooter.
Not a good defender.
He doesn't run an offense, at all.

He makes great open court passes and that's about it. No way he makes those 40ft passes in the NBA. He'll be picked off, and dunked on more times than he can count.

Ya he will be a backup in the NBA if that. I was starting to get impressed with him but he just doesnt have the skill for the NBA imo. Really good college floor general but lacks just about everything for the nba.

pacer4ever
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I think Craft will stay in college at least one and likely two more years. But I would not hesitate to use a mid-first round pick on him. He's got good NBA point size. He's a decent shooter. He's a good passer with solid court vision. His basketball IQ is extremely high. You could say that about a lot of players though. What sets him apart is his extraordinary lateral quickness. He can keep NBA point guards in front of him and that is a skill which should not be taken lightly. He'll be in the upper echelon of point defenders whenever he enters the league. He's hard nosed and a major competitor.

A legit sized NBA point who is a good passer, sees the floor, is one of, if not the, smartest players on the floor at all times, and is defensively capable of dictating where the offensive player goes with the ball is the ideal player to lead your team.

Yikes. I think I just described the anti-Collison.

Projecting Jordan Taylor is tougher in my opinion. He relies so much on scoring and it's hard for me to see a lot of that translating. I think he'll be an average backup in the league. He actually reminds me a lot of AJ Price. I think he's a second rounder.

Jordan Taylor isnt an NBA player IMO(he may play a year or so I just dont see him as an NBA player he should be great in Euro though.

I think Craft will be a good backup in the NBA

Ransom
12-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I call Big Ten...8-4!

:happydanc:happydanc:happydanc:happydanc

A clear statement from the Big Ten this year.