PDA

View Full Version : The Skyrim thread....

Peck
11-19-2011, 09:55 PM
This game is so epic it needs its own thread so we don't keep clogging up the what game have you recently played thread.

If you have spoilers or possibly directions please be kind and use the "spoil" tag from the top.

Also please post cool story's and any glitches you might find.

Trader Joe
11-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm taking it slow right now, probably won't jump in head first til thanksgiving break. The thing I both am loving and hating about this game right now as I've sort of touched on with the video games thread is that IMO this game is much harder to navigate than the past couple elder scrolls games whcih would be fine if they gave us a great map, but the map is more eye candy than anything else. It's nto a huge deal and getting lost in the wilderness is certainly leading to some hilrious encounters, so I can't complain too much.

Anyone know if the skeleton key is in this game like it has been in past elder scrolls?

PaceBalls
11-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I love this game, but ever since I started wearing this amulet of Mara, the *** kicking Nord warrior dude I travel with (Stenvar) keeps trying to get me to marry him. Awkward... no means no pal!

travmil
11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I rarely call a game perfect. And I would bet I'm less than 10% through this one, but so far, it's as close to perfect as games get.

Sparhawk
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Tell me about it.

Anybody, know if there's a skeleton key in this game like there has been in past elder scrolls games that can pick any lock? Also, are there Daedric God quests? I haven't done much online research yet, so curious if anyone has bumped into either of those things. I'm sort of taking it slow with Skyrim right now, but will like jump in head first over Thanksgiving, just playing it at bits and pieces right now which is why I'm level 12.

Yes there are. The dog quest is one of them. Azura's star is back, but it's freaking hard, so I'll have to come back to that. Just finished Dagon quest, though it starts out as a quest from an NPC first.

Not sure how many others, but I too want a skeleton key.

Sparhawk
11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Up to level 31. Still feel like I haven't done anything! Still so many quests that are active for me. I completed about 5 today. What a wonderful problem to have. The quests are more varied this time around, so I don't feel three has been much repetition.

Have some pretty good weaponry now. I can make glass armor, but haven't found any malachite anywhere! I don't want to look up where I can get some, but I'm dying to have my glass armor set.

Does anyone have an enchantment that offers good protection against magic? Magic seems to be my kryptonite. I keep getting stronger, but mages take me out like I'm nothing. Pretty frustrating.

SoupIsGood
11-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure there are resist-magic enchants.

Trader Joe
11-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Yep, there are. It's under the defensive spell catgeory I forget what it's called, but I think it's the same one that you can use to create light and stuff like that, but i would need to do some more research. I really am looking forward to Thanksgiving so I can have a serious session with this game. zright now, all I have time for is dungeon diving for an hour and then having to do something els.e

KingGeorge
11-21-2011, 01:52 AM
I started the "First Lessons" quest at the College of Winterhold when I first started. When I go back now, I am supposed to listen to Tolfdir, but I can't get him to cast the spell on me to demonstrate the ward. It's so frustrating and I'm not sure how to get passed it. Any suggestions?

Sparhawk
11-21-2011, 07:35 AM
I started the "First Lessons" quest at the College of Winterhold when I first started. When I go back now, I am supposed to listen to Tolfdir, but I can't get him to cast the spell on me to demonstrate the ward. It's so frustrating and I'm not sure how to get passed it. Any suggestions?

You have to stand on a small circle. It gets highlighted if you walk around. Once you stand on it, it should start.

PaceBalls
11-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I feel like I cheesed the game too much as an sneaky archer. It's no challenge at all on master difficulty. Enemies are one shot and bosses take like 4 or 5, but they still never get anywhere close to me with all the stuns from the sneak perks. I am going to reroll as a conjuror / illusionist I think.

Peck
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Basically I'm a tank.

I have steel plated everything including my armor being steel plated armor of health.

I have an ebony battle axe that does 73 points of damage (doubled because of my perks) and a glass war hammer of frosting that does 78.

I can't sneak up on anyone but I've gotten to the point now in the caves that I don't even try anymore. I pretty much just walk in and try and draw them all out to me.

I've been using the bow a little more and have gotten pretty decent with it, still not great at hitting moving targets but I'm working on it.

Since my debacle with fallout 3 (I played the main story straight through) I have made it a point to do tons of side storys and had actually fogotten what the main quest was, now I'm back on track for it.

Overall this is a fun game. Not perfect but as far as rpg's go it's pretty close.

Lord Helmet
11-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah I'd be playing this more if I didn't have Modern Warfare 3 to be playing.

Oblivion was awesome and I had a ton of hours logged into that, those were back in the days there weren't many 360 games worth playing, (hard to imagine that now, though) but I'm not that far but the game is definitely kick ***.

SoupIsGood
11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I really love exploring the world and uncovering the different storylines, but none of the fight mechanics feel very compelling to me. Using the shield a lot allows me to kind of superimpose a more interesting defense-first fighting style onto the game, but at the end of the day I can always chop crap up with just a few swings of my sword if I want.

I'm fiddling around and trying to come up with a fighting style that's limited in raw power but still engaging mechanically. The mana-to-stamina perk in the Restoration tree seems like it could make a healer-melee style somewhat interesting, but would the ever-ready healing take all the risk out of combat?

Destruction in one hand and melee in the other would probably be limited enough, but there's not really any synergy between the two styles.

The necromancer stuff looks fun, but after the dead are raised it seems like it'd just be more whack-whack-whack monotony with the bound swords. I wish there was a necromancer playstyle where you raised large amounts of very feeble corpses continually and tried overwhelming enemies instead of overpowering them. There's a necromancer boss who fights somewhat like that and it really looked like fun.

Ultimately if I can't think of a way to make the game interesting to me on a fight-by-fight basis then I really doubt I'll continue with it, which is too bad because I find the world and the story fascinating.

KingGeorge
11-21-2011, 11:39 PM
You have to stand on a small circle. It gets highlighted if you walk around. Once you stand on it, it should start.

I have tried that. It doesn't work.

Trader Joe
11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Has anyone noticed how much brighter the first dungeon in Helgen is compared to all the other ones you go to? I know why it's like that, but I wish they were all like that. Having some dark dungeons is ok, but one of my classic elder scrolls complaints is that its so hard to see things in the corners and it really hurts my play style to have to carry around a torch. I need to get one of those lumination spells. Those are clutch. Dark dungeon after dark dungeon is getting a bit tedious, clear a room, equip torch to search, rinse and repeat. Might try to get into some more open world stuff for a while.

Sparhawk
11-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Has anyone noticed how much brighter the first dungeon in Helgen is compared to all the other ones you go to? I know why it's like that, but I wish they were all like that. Having some dark dungeons is ok, but one of my classic elder scrolls complaints is that its so hard to see things in the corners and it really hurts my play style to have to carry around a torch. I need to get one of those lumination spells. Those are clutch. Dark dungeon after dark dungeon is getting a bit tedious, clear a room, equip torch to search, rinse and repeat. Might try to get into some more open world stuff for a while.

I search every nook and cranny. I couldn't take the the deep dark and not seeing, so I finally caved and bought a Candlelight spell. A glowing ball floats above you for about 30 seconds. Very handy after you've cleared nearby enemies.

The skeleton key returns:
you get it near the end of all the thieves guild quests

I planned to complete more quests since I have so many active, but I keep getting sidetracked. Found a mine, so I ended up looking for more. I did find a malachite mine, so glass armor here I come!

Trader Joe
11-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I need something that lasts longer than 30 seconds. (TWSS)

KingGeorge
11-23-2011, 12:11 AM

After looking around on YouTube, many players are having this same problem. I just want to learn some magic. **** glitches. :banghead:

Sandman21
11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Gah, I think the Blood on the Ice quest is bugged for me. I had no problems with the Tolfdir quest at all though.

Peck
11-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Gah, I think the Blood on the Ice quest is bugged for me. I had no problems with the Tolfdir quest at all though.

Same here. I can't examine the murder site/grave. There is an arrow there but I've done everything but urinate on the dang thing & I can't get it to do anything.

Trader Joe
11-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Remember folks, there always a few quests in Skyrim that don't work for anyone remember to use that google to find out and then wait patiently for the patch.

Sandman21
11-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Same here. I can't examine the murder site/grave. There is an arrow there but I've done everything but urinate on the dang thing & I can't get it to do anything.

I think you are at the point where you need to follow the blood trail. I'm past that part.

*SPOILER WARNING*

I've got the falsely accused wizard in jail, but the real baddie is still on the loose. I've caught him, and have proceeded to beat the snot out of him, but he wont die. Might be because I picked Calixto's chest and stole his journal from there too

Sparhawk
11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Been doing the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests.

My guy is slowly morphing from a super nice guy to a nice guy during the day and something evil at night.

Starting to pick pockets for the first time ever (never did that in Morrowind/Oblivion), but I always sneak into people's homes and steal anything of value.

Sandman21
11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim

Holy smokes if the PC modders can pick that up and run with it!

travmil
11-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Remember, Skyrim is a completely new self written engine so maybe it's fragments leftover from when they ported their previous game worlds over to their new engine and were practicing using it. Maybe it was easier to leave it all there and block access to it than it was to start over fresh. Dunno, just spitballing.

Trader Joe
11-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Downloadable content that incorporated the other provinces would be pretty nice.

Sandman21
11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Remember, Skyrim is a completely new self written engine so maybe it's fragments leftover from when they ported their previous game worlds over to their new engine and were practicing using it. Maybe it was easier to leave it all there and block access to it than it was to start over fresh. Dunno, just spitballing.

They've NEVER done that before. They didn't put geographic features that fit Morrowind into Oblivion. The only thing I could think of it is that they included the Imperial City for a modified version of a certain Dark Brotherhood quest involving a certain person........

Sparhawk
11-24-2011, 12:47 AM
I may have screwed up. There is a glitch error that if you don't talk to Maven shortly after being given the quest for the Thieves Guild that you can't get it thus not being able to move on. I'd have to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to a previous save. I'll either need to hope the next patch fixes it or just not get the skeleton key. Ugh!

travmil
11-24-2011, 01:12 AM
You know what drives me insane about this game? There's no way to know what's useful and what's not. By that I'll give an example. In Fallout 3, you collected pre war books to give to the brotherhood scribe and could make a decent amount of caps that way. In fallout new vegas, prewar books were a bit more plentiful, and I was about halfway through the game grabbing everyone that I saw until I realized they were going to be useless for New Vegas. UNTIL they released the DLC that allowed you to use them to make FRICKIN SKILL BOOKS! By that time, I had already trashed them all. I run across stuff like Troll Skulls in this game and wonder what I might need to save them for...

Trader Joe
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
They've NEVER done that before. They didn't put geographic features that fit Morrowind into Oblivion. The only thing I could think of it is that they included the Imperial City for a modified version of a certain Dark Brotherhood quest involving a certain person........

Elaborate using spoiler tags if you want.

Peck
11-24-2011, 03:43 AM
What do you guys spend your gold on? I have read where people say that there is not enough gold in this game & for the life of me I can't figure out what to spend mine on. I mean I own a home and have it completely furnished and I've owned several horses and I will buy major healing potions.

But I have had 40,000 in gold forever now & I don't even do anything anymore to try and get more.

Am I missing out on something?

Sparhawk
11-24-2011, 07:37 AM
What do you guys spend your gold on? I have read where people say that there is not enough gold in this game & for the life of me I can't figure out what to spend mine on. I mean I own a home and have it completely furnished and I've owned several horses and I will buy major healing potions.

But I have had 40,000 in gold forever now & I don't even do anything anymore to try and get more.

Am I missing out on something?

I have close to $30k in gold. I'll save mine and use it to pay people to train me. Levelling up is only going to get harder once you hit 40 (I'm at level 34 now).

And I plan to buy every house available. A little bit sad, cause in Morrowind you could build a castle. I really wish they gave you the option to do that, or even better, to find an old city and build it up (sorta like in AC2). I'd love to have my own city!

Sandman21
11-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Elaborate using spoiler tags if you want.

The final Dark Brotherhood quest involves you killing the Emperor. As it is in game, you sneak onto a ship to get him, I'm wondering if maybe at one point in development they were thinking to transport the player to the Imperial city to do the deed.

Sparhawk
11-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm pissed. I even reset to an earlier save and I still can't talk to Maven to get my next Thieves Guild quest. I have no clue what else I can do.

Just have to hope they fix it with a patch soon. :(

Sparhawk
11-24-2011, 12:03 PM
The final Dark Brotherhood quest involves you killing the Emperor. As it is in game, you sneak onto a ship to get him, I'm wondering if maybe at one point in development they were thinking to transport the player to the Imperial city to do the deed.

I didn't think that was for real. Oh goody!

Peck
11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I have close to $30k in gold. I'll save mine and use it to pay people to train me. Levelling up is only going to get harder once you hit 40 (I'm at level 34 now).

And I plan to buy every house available. A little bit sad, cause in Morrowind you could build a castle. I really wish they gave you the option to do that, or even better, to find an old city and build it up (sorta like in AC2). I'd love to have my own city!

How many city's can you own houses in? I've only been able to find one to buy in Whiterun.

Sandman21
11-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I think you can have houses in all the major cities. Just have to be in the favor of the Jarl of that hold. I just now unlocked the ability to get the home in Windhelm, but can't afford it yet and can't upgrade because of the issue with the Blood on the Ice quest until I can find the journal entry that will clear the bug.

Pig Nash
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I barely ever have more than 5000 gold. Haven't needed too much though.

PaceBalls
11-24-2011, 11:08 PM
If you buy skills from trainers when you are over 70 skill points or so it gets really expensive. 4-5k per point. That's 20k per level. That should eat up your gold reserves ;)
I think the highest level you can train to is 90.

bellisimo
11-25-2011, 10:28 AM
the horses frustrate me...walking takes too long...can't wait to get the discovery part out of the way so i can fast travel

Sparhawk
11-25-2011, 11:00 AM
the horses frustrate me...walking takes too long...can't wait to get the discovery part out of the way so i can fast travel

There are caravans outside the cities that let you fast travel to new cities. I did that to discover a couple of cities that were really far away and didn't feel like walking. I don't use horses simply cause I don't follow the main roads and always find myself getting stuck. That and my only horse got killed when I got attacked by 5 freaking bears. I was like Walking Dead, let the Bears take the horse while I bolted!

Sparhawk
11-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm starting to focus on my Enchanting. I want to get it to 100 so I can add 2 enchantments to my stuff. How awesome would that be! I can add +health and magical resistance to all my stuff.

Peck
11-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm starting to focus on my Enchanting. I want to get it to 100 so I can add 2 enchantments to my stuff. How awesome would that be! I can add +health and magical resistance to all my stuff.

Ok, I want to start enchanting as well.

What do I have to do to enchant an item? I have plenty of filled soul gems (including greater & black) & my enchantment level is 34 (cause I keep recharging my Daedra mace) but I have no enchantments.

Where do I find them?

xBulletproof
11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Ok, I want to start enchanting as well.

What do I have to do to enchant an item? I have plenty of filled soul gems (including greater & black) & my enchantment level is 34 (cause I keep recharging my Daedra mace) but I have no enchantments.

Where do I find them?

I believe you learn enchantments by destroying the item at an enchantment table. You need to have the enchantment you want on an item you're willing to lose. So if you really like the item don't do it.

I could be wrong because I haven't done it myself.

Trader Joe
11-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Yep, basically in this gaem, you learn by doing everything. Not just your actual skills, but also you have to learn the effects everything has, but either breaking it down or testing out potion recipes, etc.

Peck
11-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Ugh!!!!!!!!! God how many magic items have I sold or just discarded because I didn't know that this was how you enchanted things.

Thanks guys, I now have enchanted armor and weapons. I knew this thread would pay off.

pacer4ever
11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
At target right now it is 10 dollars off thinking about buying it but have no idea what it is lol.

Kegboy
11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LmqGHXsF1Lk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I get the impression from this that fisticuffs might not be the best strategy.

Trader Joe
11-26-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm enjoying watching my buddy play his sneak+bow character. Pretty funny.

Sandman21
11-26-2011, 08:49 AM
The ice spike and giant had me rolling!

Sparhawk
11-26-2011, 12:54 PM
<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LmqGHXsF1Lk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I get the impression from this that fisticuffs might not be the best strategy.

I watched that entire video. He plays on the PC and must have edited it in some way to get him killed for many of those like walking down steps and smithing. Still funny though.

I also tried jumping on the fire sconces awhile ago and I didn't even take damage.

Sparhawk
11-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I was very very busy last night. I enchanted every piece of jewelry I had and my enchanting only reached level 68. I did get a weapon that lets me trap souls that I started to use for finishing blows to get more soul gems filled the cheap way.

I did spend less than an hour on my smithing making iron daggers and my smithing is now 100!! I made dragon armor. The cool thing is there is a heavy and a light dragon armor. I'm only wearing the helm right now cause my other armor gives me some pretty stellar bonusus. I'll wear the armor once I get my enchanting to 100 and I can add 2 enchantments to each piece.

I am also able to improve some of my armor and weapons to "Legendary".

I'm also a level 43 and fought my first Elder dragon. Talk about tough. Got killed a couple of times before finding a good spot that I could run to to heal myself and avoid is frost breath shouts before going back out to fight.

Trader Joe
11-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I need more stuff to smith with, anyone found a good spot?

Sparhawk
11-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I need more stuff to smith with, anyone found a good spot?

If you want to build up your smithing, just make iron daggers. They are 1 iron ingot and 1 leather strap. I just went city to city buying all the iron ingot and some leather straps (already had a bunch from animals I'd killed). You could even find mines, but that takes too much time.

To go from a level 70 to 100 cost me about $7k. I also have a high speechcraft (80) + enchantments that take my speechcraft to over 100, so I get good prices to buy and sell.

Get a high speechcraft quickly:
There is a guy in Riften that you can level up your speechcraft pretty fast. Speechcraft is always the one attribute that just takes soooooooooooo long to level up no matter your conversations and how much you sell. I don't feel bad about finding that guy in Riften in the least. I normally don't cheat, but I freaking hate how long it takes to level up speechcraft.

Trader Joe
11-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Do the iron daggers not get gimped the higher level smith you are? Like in other games you'll stop leveling off of low level crafted items.

Sparhawk
11-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Do the iron daggers not get gimped the higher level smith you are? Like in other games you'll stop leveling off of low level crafted items.

The higher you get the more daggers it'll take to level up, but it's still the most effective way. By the time you get past 90, it'll take around 15 daggers to level up you smithing.

xBulletproof
11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
The higher you get the more daggers it'll take to level up, but it's still the most effective way. By the time you get past 90, it'll take around 15 daggers to level up you smithing.

The easiest way I found ..... spoilered for people who don't want to know how to shortcut things ....

was to go to Whiterun. At Warmaidens you have the woman outside, and the guy inside the building. Both sell different items. I would buy all the leather strips, and leather that both carried. Usually came to 40 of each.

Then I would make leather helm and leather "gauntlets" (believe they go by another name). One helm, then one gauntlet, back and fourth until I didn't have anymore of the materials left. One takes 2 leather, and 1 leather strip. The other takes 1 leather and 2 leather strips. Works out perfect, if you buy the same amount of both you use almost everything you bought. Doing that it doesn't take long at all. I told a buddy about that last night, and today he has gained 20 smithing levels.

Sparhawk
11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
The easiest way I found ..... spoilered for people who don't want to know how to shortcut things ....

was to go to Whiterun. At Warmaidens you have the woman outside, and the guy inside the building. Both sell different items. I would buy all the leather strips, and leather that both carried. Usually came to 40 of each.

Then I would make leather helm and leather "gauntlets" (believe they go by another name). One helm, then one gauntlet, back and fourth until I didn't have anymore of the materials left. One takes 2 leather, and 1 leather strip. The other takes 1 leather and 2 leather strips. Works out perfect, if you buy the same amount of both you use almost everything you bought. Doing that it doesn't take long at all. I told a buddy about that last night, and today he has gained 20 smithing levels.

I wonder which is more cost effective though. Ingots or leather. Interesting though, and at least you wouldn't have to trapse around city to city for iron ingots

SoupIsGood
11-27-2011, 05:58 AM
So I was in Whiterun and as I exited the bannered mare a whiterun guard fell from atop the building and died. I ran around looking for an assassin or something, but nothing. Everyone's gathered around the body and I keep getting questioned about it. Is this a glitch, has anyone seen this? Why would he just randomly die?

edit - now that I think about it maybe he was the victim of a giant's skyshot. They have to come down right?

travmil
11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
OK so i was doing the quest for the bartender in Ivarstead where you clear out the haunted barrow. One of the townspeople kept following me around for some reason. He followed me into the barrow and got himself killed while I was messing with the traps. My question is, is the guy important for some reason? Does he give quests? Can NPC's who give quests die? Are those quests permanently broken?

Sparhawk
11-27-2011, 12:04 PM
OK so i was doing the quest for the bartender in Ivarstead where you clear out the haunted barrow. One of the townspeople kept following me around for some reason. He followed me into the barrow and got himself killed while I was messing with the traps. My question is, is the guy important for some reason? Does he give quests? Can NPC's who give quests die? Are those quests permanently broken?

I doubt he's important. Important NPCs can't die. Also, I read that even if an NPC dies that has a quest, you can still get that quest from another NPC. All due to their Radiant system or whatever.

Still, how annoying for an NPC just to follow you around. :laugh: Hero worship to the max.

Sandman21
11-27-2011, 08:03 PM
edit - now that I think about it maybe he was the victim of a giant's skyshot. They have to come down right?

Im pretty sure Tamriel has gravity. Thats probably the most reasonable explanation.:laugh:

travmil
11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
My character is Nord and a heavy armor two handed tank so I'm pouring all of my perks and skills into restoration, heavy armor, two hand, and smithing. It's funny as hell to spot a troll, pull out my warhammer, sprint up to him, sweep his legs and drop the hammer on him for the one shot kill. He's usually still beating on his chest when I get to him. BTW, the Skullcrusher perk that makes warhammers ignore 25% of armor per rank up to 75% is ridiculous. Absolute murder, even on high level characters.

Trader Joe
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Bumped into the headless horseman easter egg last night.

Sparhawk
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Bumped into the headless horseman easter egg last night.

Can you kill the headless horseman? I have located so many locations and have yet to see that easter egg.

I was walking to my destination and came across a group of 3 or 4 drunks. Then a dragon came and killed them all in 1 fail swoop. I almost felt bad for them. Then I thought, what the ***** are a bunch of drunks doing out in in open in the middle of nowhere?

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 12:55 AM
The dragon spawns in my game have gotten sort of ridiculous, Every time I fast travel one of them pops up. Which is great on one hand, but sucks on the other because I'm getting really tired of fighting them at night. Makes it much harder.

travmil
11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
I never fast travel at night for that reason. Had the same policy in Fallout 3 just in case you fast travelled in on a deathclaw which was suicide until you got to about level 15.

My guy is getting to where he can't really be challenged already. Skullcrusher is just a ridiculous almost gamebreaking perk.

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
You think skullcrusher is bad you should see what my buddy can do who is a sneaky type and just the X15 damage bonus to sneak attacks with a dagger.

I just finished the companions quest line and I'm level 17. I've got some one handed, block, and heavy armor perks and I'm feeling pretty good right now. None of the bosses are too bad, the hardest fights for me are clearing a room with 3 or 4 people and not being able to take down the guy with the two handed sword quick enough or something like that.

travmil
11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
the hardest fights for me are clearing a room with 3 or 4 people and not being able to take down the guy with the two handed sword quick enough or something like that.

This is why two handed is so awesome. I have two other perks, one is Sweep which hits ALL enemies in front of you, the other I can't remember the name of but it goes through blocks when you use a "power move". You pair those two with Skullcrusher and wow look out. Two handed is a really good specialty.

I can't wait to get through this and start over with a different character. Easier said than done. I would start every game of Fallout 3 with every intention of changing my build but somehow every character ended up being high on sneak and guns.

Peck
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
alright I had a wild critical hit last night. I was.off to kill a giant for one of the jarls when an elder dragon swoops down. As it made a low flyover I hit it with my ebony two handed axe and killed it with one hit. Not sure how I did it or frankly how I feel about it. On one hand it was pretty cool, but on the other I think I've made my character to powerful as a fighter.

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I will say, I was afraid I would have the same feeling I did with fallout 3, and that is, that I just don't have the time for this type of game anymore, but I am glad to say that since I have hit level 13 or so, I have not had that feeling.

The stories, the characters, the landscape, this is Tamriel. It still fits like an old comfy slipper and I can still find myself getting engrossed in the game like I did in the past Elder Scrolls games. I don't think the Fallout world will ever do that for me. I guess I'm just more of a fantasy geek than sci fi.

Trader Joe
11-29-2011, 02:42 PM
alright I had a wild critical hit last night. I was.off to kill a giant for one of the jarls when an elder dragon swoops down. As it made a low flyover I hit it with my ebony two handed axe and killed it with one hit. Not sure how I did it or frankly how I feel about it. On one hand it was pretty cool, but on the other I think I've made my character to powerful as a fighter.

Could be just one of those things where you caught the RNG at just the right time. Personally I like stuff like that, now hopefully every fight doesn't become like that for you, but I think it makes it fun to every once and a while get that "Who's bad? I'm bad." feeling.

Sparhawk
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Been pretty busy, so working long hours. Haven't been able to play much the past few days.

Heard the new patch caused some more glitches. I haven't dl it yet, but anyone have any issues on the Xbox?

The only issue I'm currently having is that I can't continue the Thieves guild questline. Hope they patch that soon. I am not sure if it was on the new patch or not.

Hicks
12-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I wish I were a little more in the mood to dive into this type of game. You guys make it sound like a blast, but I just don't usually have the patience to get the most out of these kinds of RPGs. I may pick this up later when it's much cheaper, though.

PaceBalls
12-01-2011, 02:00 AM
This is why two handed is so awesome. I have two other perks, one is Sweep which hits ALL enemies in front of you, the other I can't remember the name of but it goes through blocks when you use a "power move". You pair those two with Skullcrusher and wow look out. Two handed is a really good specialty.

I can't wait to get through this and start over with a different character. Easier said than done. I would start every game of Fallout 3 with every intention of changing my build but somehow every character ended up being high on sneak and guns.

I know man I always end up going Sneak and Archery/guns... the path of least resistance I guess.

I am forcing myself to do a 2handed warrior build. So, did you put alot of points in stamina then? Or just mainly go all health?

PaceBalls
12-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I will say, I was afraid I would have the same feeling I did with fallout 3, and that is, that I just don't have the time for this type of game anymore, but I am glad to say that since I have hit level 13 or so, I have not had that feeling.

The stories, the characters, the landscape, this is Tamriel. It still fits like an old comfy slipper and I can still find myself getting engrossed in the game like I did in the past Elder Scrolls games. I don't think the Fallout world will ever do that for me. I guess I'm just more of a fantasy geek than sci fi.

Fallout 3 was good, but I also liked the elder scrolls series a bit more.

Fallout New Vegas, on the other hand, was amazing. I don't know if it is as good as Skyrim, but the dialogue and voice acting was better.

PaceBalls
12-01-2011, 02:07 AM

There are a few mods out that will increase the difficulty if it gets too easy. That is, of course, if you are on PC.

Another option to increase the difficulty is to skill up Blacksmithing, Enchanting and Alchemy. You will raise your level (and everything else's level) without raising your combat skills.

Trader Joe
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
This game does not level like Oblivion. So your level does not impact the level of the monsters you are fighting. It only impacts the type of gear they drop.

Anyone dl the patch for xbox yet? The PS3 caused all kinds of problems, but does Xbox have the same issues?

PaceBalls
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
This game does not level like Oblivion. So your level does not impact the level of the monsters you are fighting. It only impacts the type of gear they drop.

Anyone dl the patch for xbox yet? The PS3 caused all kinds of problems, but does Xbox have the same issues?

Actually your level does effect the level of the monsters and the loot, there are only a few "boss" mobs who have static levels. Locations and enemies in them are set to whatever level you are when you enter the area for the first time. So if it's too hard you can go back in a couple levels and the monsters will be 2 levels lower than you are.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Skyrim#Enemy_Leveling_System

Winner
12-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Skyrim is nothing compared to Oblivion. I think i'm the only one that thinks so, though.

SoupIsGood
12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I fast traveled to dawnstar and a frost dragon, a frost troll, a mammoth, two giants and five bandits (including bandit chief) were all duking it out in one massive fight. :laugh:

Mob AI is quite enjoyable in this game.

travmil
12-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I fast traveled to dawnstar and a frost dragon, a frost troll, a mammoth, two giants and five bandits (including bandit chief) were all duking it out in one massive fight. :laugh:

Mob AI is quite enjoyable in this game.

And the winner was?

SoupIsGood
12-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Certainly not Ungerth the Unbroken! Lost her in some of the crossfire.

Bandits lost decidedly. The mammoth and his pal may have won but I drew it away from the group with arrows. By the time it was dead the dragon had killed the trolls and giant (it was two frost trolls and one giant now on second thought) and the dragon had only the tiniest sliver of HP left, and so I killed it with fire (arrows).

edit - I think it's really cool how the AI acts events out even in areas you're not presently at, but I'm kind of befuddled as to how that fight got started. There's a bandit camp right there next to the center of the fight, so I get that part. However I've roamed that area a lot and there's no giant camp that I can think of, and as far as I know frost trolls don't roam freely. Did the dragon just chain-pull all that crap across huge stretches of land, or what?

Sparhawk
12-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Made it to level 45.

Decided to finish up a quest for the College. Thought I was going to get the staff of magnus, but ended up going through a very long dungeon to talk to a guy who knew where it was. Ugh!

Made it back to the College and the arch mage gets killed. I couldn't loot his body...is it lootable? Just want to make sure I shouldn't restart at an earlier save point.

Trader Joe
12-02-2011, 09:43 AM
So has anyone dled the patch for xbox yet?

Sparhawk
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
So has anyone dled the patch for xbox yet?

I did, but I didn't get to play much last night. Never came across a dragon, since I was in a dungeon. Nothing weird happened.

It really pisses me off that you have to download the patch or Xbox will keep you from connecting to xbox live. What utter ********. I paid for xbox live, I should be able to say no to a patch and still play online. Just hate that.

Trader Joe
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
What's everyone's opinion on the best sword in the game so far? All the Daedric one's seem OK, but there's nothing IMO that compares to Goldbrand in Oblivion and Morrowind which was clearly the best sword in the game. Did they do that intentionally to make you more inclined to smith your own weapon?

Pig Nash
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm really enjoying my Mace of Molag Bol. 37 of magicka and to stamina and fills soul gems.

Sparhawk
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm really enjoying my Mace of Molag Bol. 37 of magicka and to stamina and fills soul gems.

That's all I use it for is the final stroke to kill and fill a soul gem. Doesn't seem to work 100% of the time though. I don't get a message that pops up saying a soul gem has been filled. Does it depend on the enemy? So if I don't have a grand soul gem, will a tough baddie not fill a common or petty? If so, then I need to figure out what type of soul gems I have.

Sparhawk
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
What's everyone's opinion on the best sword in the game so far? All the Daedric one's seem OK, but there's nothing IMO that compares to Goldbrand in Oblivion and Morrowind which was clearly the best sword in the game. Did they do that intentionally to make you more inclined to smith your own weapon?

Right now I have an ebony sword I'm using the most often and it's "flawless". Does a good amount of damage. It's my strongest weapon (other than my glass bow which deals a serious amount of damage).

My enchanting is only a 75, and I'm trying to get it to 100. Probably need a boatload of soul gems though. I'm hoarding them all right now and I'll get to enchanting again when I think I have enough to get me to 100.

Then I'll start creating my own armor and weapons and enchant them with 2 abilities.

Pig Nash
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah some harder guys you need greater or grand soul gems.

Trader Joe
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't like maces. It is very good, but I wish it was a sword.

SoupIsGood
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah maces have the incredible armor-ignore perk, but I just don't really like them.

I love the soul-trap effect, especially on a bow. Nothing like sucking in some dude's soul from like a mile away.

Random Master Necromancer I encountered in an old bandit hideout was the toughest enemy I've faced yet. Shot incredibly hard-hitting ice spikes, and killed me a couple times before I got her.

Trader Joe
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
How do you know you've found an ore vein?

Sparhawk
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
How do you know you've found an ore vein?

Just hover over the vein and it'll tell you what type it is and give you the option to mine it by hitting the A button. Just need your pickaxe.

neosmndrew
12-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Just picked myself up this little game...

I keep accidentally doing main line quests when trying to do side quests. Gotta say though, even on my piece of crap laptop, this game really looks gorgeous (running on medium).

Sparhawk
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Almost level 49. Finally took care of many side quests that my list of quests is much smaller. Think I'll start the main story line for a bit and then get back to side quests.

thewholefnshow31
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I have just been messing around a bit to get use to it and get some idea of what is going on. I have been playing with a character that I call a raptor ninja. I finally am getting how leveling works and a good grasp of how to do combat.

I am about to start my main game and was thinking of starting a fighter mage type character. To all the hardcore players what race would you recommend to start with? What kind of magic would you focus on?

Any suggestions is welcomed. I am Skyrim n00b for the most part.

Frostwolf
12-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't think the Fallout world will ever do that for me. I guess I'm just more of a fantasy geek than sci fi.

it's more like fallout is a nuclear wasteland i.e. it's inherently boring. :laugh:

i love the overworld music in skyrim. it's tranquil, quiet, and epic at the same time.

travmil
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I am forcing myself to do a 2handed warrior build. So, did you put alot of points in stamina then? Or just mainly go all health?

Sorry, I didn't see this part of your reply. I have been alternating between the two at each level and ignoring magika completely. I guess I'm very specialized, or at least very special.

travmil
12-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Today I happened upon two giants and two mammoths fighting a blood dragon on the plains west of Whiterun. The dragon killed one of the giants but the other one and the two mammoths got him. The weird part came after the fight was over. The mammoths turned on their giant and attacked him. The giant killed one of the mammoths but the other one got him. So now, there's a lonely mammoth wandering the plains west of Whiterun. Two other weird things I've seen lately. TWO dragons fighting a group of bandits. I think what happened was a regular blood dragon was in the game world and the other one was from a nearby burial ground. I couldn't find out because I died and when I returned to the area it didn't happen again. And Lydia disappeared on me during a quest in the dwarven ruins. I found her dead later after making my way to the bottom because she had fallen from high above earlier and I didn't notice. My only save where she was still alive was from HOURS earlier so I decided to move on without her. Only problem is she was carrying LOADS of my best stuff so I had to finish the quest, drop my stuff at my house, and then trek back through the ruins to loot her corpse. Blah.

PaceBalls
12-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Today I happened upon two giants and two mammoths fighting a blood dragon on the plains west of Whiterun. The dragon killed one of the giants but the other one and the two mammoths got him. The weird part came after the fight was over. The mammoths turned on their giant and attacked him. The giant killed one of the mammoths but the other one got him. So now, there's a lonely mammoth wandering the plains west of Whiterun. Two other weird things I've seen lately. TWO dragons fighting a group of bandits. I think what happened was a regular blood dragon was in the game world and the other one was from a nearby burial ground. I couldn't find out because I died and when I returned to the area it didn't happen again. And Lydia disappeared on me during a quest in the dwarven ruins. I found her dead later after making my way to the bottom because she had fallen from high above earlier and I didn't notice. My only save where she was still alive was from HOURS earlier so I decided to move on without her. Only problem is she was carrying LOADS of my best stuff so I had to finish the quest, drop my stuff at my house, and then trek back through the ruins to loot her corpse. Blah.

If you were a necromancer you could just turn her into a zombie and carry on. Not sure if she would still have your stuff though.

SoupIsGood
12-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Pairs of dragons are intentional random encounters. Seems like it kicks in after a certain level, as it doesn't seem that uncommon anymore for me.

Poor winterhold was set upon by two frost dragons at the same time. I swear that place is a dragon-magnet.

Trader Joe
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't believe there is a strong enough necromancy spell to raise Lydia.

Sparhawk
12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I keep Lydia in her place...which is at my home in the bedroom. Boom!

I have not seen two dragons together yet and I'm level 49...almost 50. I get Ancient Dragons and they are extremely hard to beat. One full breath is enough to snuff you out. I've been unlucky so far that I got caught a couple of times out in the open. just find some rocks and work its health down very slowly. Takes about 15 minutes some times to kill one. I don't dare get up close till I can be sure to kill it in 1 to 3 hits.

Got one at the College while everyone was sleeping. At least there I had those pillars to hide behind. Still took awhile to whittle its health down. Damn, but Ancient dragons seems to have an assload of health.

Sandman21
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't believe there is a strong enough necromancy spell to raise Lydia.

Yet.*

*Only applies to PC version thanks to user modifications. Skyrimnexus.com is teh awesome! :D

Mr.ThunderMakeR
12-07-2011, 02:25 PM
This game is really good so far, much better than I expected. I decided to play a totally different style for this game then what I've played in previous TES games. So I'm playing a Khajiit sneak type character doing theives' guild quests. Not sure how I feel about him. My play style is ending up more of an assassin then a thief. I try to backstab just about every enemy instead of avoiding conflict like a good thief.

Also not sure I like the idea of doing the main quest as a cat, it just seems out of place. Everyone talking about me like I'm some great prophesied hero of the Nord's and I'm one of the most looked down-upon races.

Sparhawk
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/07/skyrim-update-1-3-now-on-steam/
Another patch on the way. Still doesn't sound like it'll fix my Thieves Guild questline that is broke.

Update 1.3 Notes (all platforms unless specified)

General stability improvements
Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

Mr.ThunderMakeR
12-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I am about to start my main game and was thinking of starting a fighter mage type character. To all the hardcore players what race would you recommend to start with? What kind of magic would you focus on?

Any suggestions is welcomed. I am Skyrim n00b for the most part.The race decision only really has an impact at lower levels. There are only 5-10 pt differences in your starting skills. You can easily make up for that after a few levels. Its even easier if you use trainers. That said, Imperial and Reguards have the best starting skills for a heavily-armored warrior/destruction mage combo.

Check out this link:
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races

Sparhawk
12-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I've never played as an Argonian or Kajhit. I think I'll try the Kajhit next time, night vision will come in handy.

travmil
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I've never played as an Argonian or Kajhit. I think I'll try the Kajhit next time, night vision will come in handy.

All the night vision does is adjust the in game brightness. You can do that from the display options for ANY race if you want.

Sparhawk
12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
All the night vision does is adjust the in game brightness. You can do that from the display options for ANY race if you want.

What's the fun in that? I've noticed that in addition to them not putting in any invisibility % armor, they also didn't include armor that gives you night vision. I had a nice helm that provided night vision in oblivion.

I also miss the levitate spell from Morrowind. Made travel much faster. Plus fighting a dragon in the air would be epic.

thewholefnshow31
12-08-2011, 10:32 AM
The race decision only really has an impact at lower levels. There are only 5-10 pt differences in your starting skills. You can easily make up for that after a few levels. Its even easier if you use trainers. That said, Imperial and Reguards have the best starting skills for a heavily-armored warrior/destruction mage combo.

Check out this link:
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races

Thanks for information. I will check the link out after work.

I think I am going to go with a dark elf with a focus the skills one handed, destruction, alteration, and light armor. Then minor attention to restoration, archery and sneak.

With just messing around with this game I know once I jump in fully I am going to get totally lost in the world. This might become one of my favorite games of all time.

Sparhawk
12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
OMFG.

I worked for over an hour to get my Enchanting to 100. Being able to double enchant is freaking awesome! My dragon armor gives me +70 health and +70 stamina. I double enchanted my dragon helm, shield, gauntlets and boots with other enchantments. Total defense is 524 right now. Still need to add a perk to +25% for wearing all the same light armor.

My glass bow does +20 electric and my ebony sword does + 30 electric.

Level 52 now.

Got another glitched quest where I couldn't finish. I'll have to restart and hope it works. I'm doing some quests for Arniel at the College.

neosmndrew
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I just fought 2 dragons withing 3 minutes of each other outside the throat of the world... tough for a puny level 13 like myself.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
OMFG.

I worked for over an hour to get my Enchanting to 100. Being able to double enchant is freaking awesome! My dragon armor gives me +70 health and +70 stamina. I double enchanted my dragon helm, shield, gauntlets and boots with other enchantments. Total defense is 524 right now. Still need to add a perk to +25% for wearing all the same light armor.

My glass bow does +20 electric and my ebony sword does + 30 electric.

Level 52 now.

Got another glitched quest where I couldn't finish. I'll have to restart and hope it works. I'm doing some quests for Arniel at the College.Careful with the maxing out the Enchanting/Smithing/Alchemy skills. I've heard lots of reports of it being really easy to exploit them and over-power your character and make the game ridiculously easy. More than other games, with the TES you get out of it what you put in. If you make the game too easy you will NOT enjoy it.

Pig Nash
12-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I finished the main quest without power leveling. Now that I'm messing around, it's fun to max stuff out to experience the rest of the game without it being difficult.

PaceBalls
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Check out this super creepy yet totally awesome video I found on Youtube. Things to do when you beat the main quest :laugh:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JHvx0l_tVEw?rel=0&hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Sparhawk
12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Careful with the maxing out the Enchanting/Smithing/Alchemy skills. I've heard lots of reports of it being really easy to exploit them and over-power your character and make the game ridiculously easy. More than other games, with the TES you get out of it what you put in. If you make the game too easy you will NOT enjoy it.

I can always increase the difficulty. :)

If I feel like I'm too powerful, I can also ditch the armor. Nice to feel all powerful sometimes.

SoupIsGood
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I outfitted my follower with shock resist so I can chain lightning with impunity. : )

Also, keep all powerful staves you find and your follower will use them strategically. Summoning at the start of fights, using the element the enemy is weakest to.

Even with warrior-class followers they will hang back behind me, summon up a dremora lord, and then dual-wield staves of fireballs and just blow the crap out of everything. Nothing like being backed up by rapid-fire fireballs! And they are very accurate.

I LOVE the dremora warrior battle cries, and I really wish they all had such personality. "ANOTHER who seeks death!!"

Sparhawk
12-09-2011, 09:55 PM
I outfitted my follower with shock resist so I can chain lightning with impunity. : )

Also, keep all powerful staves you find and your follower will use them strategically. Summoning at the start of fights, using the element the enemy is weakest to.

Even with warrior-class followers they will hang back behind me, summon up a dremora lord, and then dual-wield staves of fireballs and just blow the crap out of everything. Nothing like being backed up by rapid-fire fireballs! And they are very accurate.

I LOVE the dremora warrior battle cries, and I really wish they all had such personality. "ANOTHER who seeks death!!"

I'll have to look to do something similar. That's a great idea to outfit your companion with magical resist armor to the spell you use most.

thewholefnshow31
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I have been rather busy over the weekend. When AT&T cannot get out to actually install I have nothing better to do. Play...check laundry.....play....check laundry.

I have finished up the Companions quest line, got the Mace of Molag Bal, figured out the Forsworn, escaped a prison and now I am at the Mage College.

I really have not do a whole lot with the main quest line.

I just love running around with a mace in one hand and spark in the other hand. I feel like I am the emperor from Star Wars. :dance:

SoupIsGood
12-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Good lord the daedric and dragon armors are stupid looking. I was a pretty big fan of the cleaner look of the dwarven, orcish, and ebony armors. . . now my character looks like something out of an anime.

travmil
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a full legendary daedric set. Getting ready to start enchanting it, just waiting to get my enchanting to 100 to match my smithing. Something dumb I noticed, I put a lot of time into smithing and ran it up to 100 fairly quickly since I'm not yet at level 20. Now, I'm finding Ebony items in chests with a lot of regularity. I don't use them since I already have daedric, so selling them to the smiths is a license to mint your own gold. I have over 200k gold, and that's without putting ANY time into barter or wearing any items to get better prices. That's not even really a lot of gold, I've seen screenshots of people with WAY more. Once screenshot I've seen, a guy dropped all of his gold around his house and filled the whole thing. Making it RAIN!

Sparhawk
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I have a full legendary daedric set. Getting ready to start enchanting it, just waiting to get my enchanting to 100 to match my smithing. Something dumb I noticed, I put a lot of time into smithing and ran it up to 100 fairly quickly since I'm not yet at level 20. Now, I'm finding Ebony items in chests with a lot of regularity. I don't use them since I already have daedric, so selling them to the smiths is a license to mint your own gold. I have over 200k gold, and that's without putting ANY time into barter or wearing any items to get better prices. That's not even really a lot of gold, I've seen screenshots of people with WAY more. Once screenshot I've seen, a guy dropped all of his gold around his house and filled the whole thing. Making it RAIN!

I only have $40k in gold, and I'm a level 55. I just horde all the jewels and weapons I find.

Sparhawk
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Good lord the daedric and dragon armors are stupid looking. I was a pretty big fan of the cleaner look of the dwarven, orcish, and ebony armors. . . now my character looks like something out of an anime.

I think both look cool. Then again, I enjoy manga and anime.

SoupIsGood
12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I think both look cool. Then again, I enjoy manga and anime.

I like the look of the daedric weapons quite a bit, but all the decorative spikes on the armor. . . wish there was an option to turn them off.

Sparhawk
12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
How is it that you can only create armor from Dragon scales and bones? Just seems like you should be able to make a bow at the very least. If you can make glass weapons, there should be some dragon weapons. :(

Trader Joe
12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
How is it that you can only create armor from Dragon scales and bones? Just seems like you should be able to make a bow at the very least. If you can make glass weapons, there should be some dragon weapons. :(

Bethesda could always patch that in.

Sparhawk
12-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Has anyone gotten married in game yet?

travmil
12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Has anyone gotten married in game yet?

I'm married to Uthgerd the Unbroken, the lady that challenges you to a brawl in Whiterun at the Bannered Mare. She follows me around and kills things for me. *****es all the time that I'm a Werewolf and in the Theives Guild though...

Sparhawk
12-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm married to Uthgerd the Unbroken, the lady that challenges you to a brawl in Whiterun at the Bannered Mare. She follows me around and kills things for me. *****es all the time that I'm a Werewolf and in the Theives Guild though...

That's funny. Can you marry anyone? I was thinking about trying the Jarl of Solitude...she's single now thanks to Ulfric shouting his body apart.

I think I read you need a medalion first to let NPCs know your available. I'll have to track that down first.

travmil
12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
That's funny. Can you marry anyone? I was thinking about trying the Jarl of Solitude...she's single now thanks to Ulfric shouting his body apart.

I think I read you need a medalion first to let NPCs know your available. I'll have to track that down first.

You can't just marry anyone. There is a set list of NPC's both male and female that are open to marriage and even then you can only marry them if you've completed their "objective". Some are easy like winning the brawl with Uthgerd. Some are incredibly hard like completing the companions questline for Aela the Huntress.

Don't know if you'd rather figure it out on your own or not but this link has EVERYTHING you need to know about it, including who can be married, where they are located, and their objective.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Marriage

travmil
12-16-2011, 04:51 PM
One of the things that's funny about being married to uthgerd is that you can also have her be a follower. She'll come with me and lag behind a little bit because I always cut across the countryside rather than take the path they made for you. Anyway she'll catch up and kill a few bad guys yelling and screaming like NPC's do. "YOU WON'T GET THE BEST OF ME!!!!" or "I'LL HANG YOUR HEAD ON MY WALL!!!" and then a second later the fight is over and she'll say "Good to see you dear!"

SoupIsGood
12-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Slay it! Slay the dragon!

neosmndrew
12-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Just found myself a suitable spouse in Aela the Huntress. Its awkward hearing a once proud and bombastic Nord address me as "love" and "dear". Its also awkward because Lydia usually is hanging around my house next to Aela...

Sparhawk
12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
My game must have more glitches. Just tried to court 6 different NPCs (that are on the marriageable list, and after I do their small quest, they don't say anything further.

Oh well.

travmil
12-18-2011, 05:32 PM
My game must have more glitches. Just tried to court 6 different NPCs (that are on the marriageable list, and after I do their small quest, they don't say anything further.

Oh well.

You have to talk to the priest in Riften about marriage first and then equip the amulet when you talk to your future spouse.

neosmndrew
12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Note that is has to be an Amulet of Mara received from the Temple of mara in riften. Other ones will not work.

travmil
12-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Note that is has to be an Amulet of Mara received from the Temple of mara in riften. Other ones will not work.

No that's not true, I found mine in a chest early in the game and didn't purchase the amulet in Riften.

neosmndrew
12-19-2011, 01:26 AM
On another note...

Does anyone know how to get Esbern to talk? He is glitched for me and can't get him to speak.

Sparhawk
12-19-2011, 12:40 PM
You have to talk to the priest in Riften about marriage first and then equip the amulet when you talk to your future spouse.

Already did that quest, unless you are saying that I have to talk to the priestess again. Still can't get the dialogue to open up.

travmil
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
It's a priest you have to talk to not a priestess, so if you talked to a female character you need to go back and find the right guy.

IAmHoosier
12-20-2011, 01:48 AM
My girlfriend is dreading the day I get a PS3 and Skyrim will probably be the first game I buy for it.

Pig Nash
12-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Awesome avatar! /\

Sparhawk
12-20-2011, 05:44 PM
My guy is pretty powerful. Think I'll work on the main quest and try to beat this game soon.

I'm feeling the Pacers and basketball, so I kinda want to get back to 2K12. We'll see though. 2K12 was the only game where I was yelling and cursing at the tv. My wife might beg me to go back to Skyrim. lol

Peck
12-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Joined the Legion, been interesting so far.

Sadly I have been stuck on 49 forever now because I can't level up in any of my skills because the ones I use I am already almost maxed out on. Getting close though so it should be just a little while longer.

I keep thinking I'm about done with the game as after completing the main quest everything else seems a little repetative. But doing the civil war quest has opened up a whole bunch of new quests so I'll keep going.

Sparhawk
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Joined the Legion, been interesting so far.

Sadly I have been stuck on 49 forever now because I can't level up in any of my skills because the ones I use I am already almost maxed out on. Getting close though so it should be just a little while longer.

I keep thinking I'm about done with the game as after completing the main quest everything else seems a little repetative. But doing the civil war quest has opened up a whole bunch of new quests so I'll keep going.

And I thought the civil war was part of the main quest. Damn, this game is so deep.

Trader Joe
12-21-2011, 11:04 AM
The civil war quest line 10 years ago would have been a game all on its own.

Kegboy
12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
For those avoiding the main quest, I'd recommend doing it earlier than later. I just finished it at level 30, and it was cool, but too easy. Wish I'd done it more around level 20, would have been more challenging. Of course, maybe if I hadn't tricked myself out in all flawless glass beforehand...

I'm gonna take a break, then get into the civil war. At the beginning of the game, I didn't realize there was a choice. I just followed the first guy I saw, who ended up being an Imperial. I keep feeling like I should join the Stormcloaks, but Ulfric is so insufferable I think I'm going the other way.

Sparhawk
12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
For those avoiding the main quest, I'd recommend doing it earlier than later. I just finished it at level 30, and it was cool, but too easy. Wish I'd done it more around level 20, would have been more challenging. Of course, maybe if I hadn't tricked myself out in all flawless glass beforehand...

I'm gonna take a break, then get into the civil war. At the beginning of the game, I didn't realize there was a choice. I just followed the first guy I saw, who ended up being an Imperial. I keep feeling like I should join the Stormcloaks, but Ulfric is so insufferable I think I'm going the other way.

I feel the same about Ulfric. It'd be fun to kill his ***.

Also, my guy is an Imperial, so I think I should stick with my peeps. We'll see though. I'm playing my guy as a bad guy for the first time ever.

clownskull
12-24-2011, 05:45 PM
i just got the game today for the ps3. i should get the ps3 tomorrow.
this thing looks like it will be really cool. i have seen several things about it on youtube and it really looks awesome.

thewholefnshow31
12-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I have been debating which side I am going.to pick. My character is an assassin that does what is best for him and the Dark Brotherhood. So I think I will just let the story take me to either side.

I barely have finished Act 1 of the main quest. This game is so freaking deep.

Sparhawk
12-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest. Liked the twist, and I totally should have seen that coming, but didn't.

Big payout of $20k!!!!

thewholefnshow31
12-28-2011, 09:32 AM
That is good there is a big payout. Now that I my guy is married to Aela I am sure she will complain how lackluster our home is in Whiterun. I need that alchemy lab to make my invisibility potions.

I have decided to go with the Stormcloaks. The Imperials tried to cut my head off and that just tends to **** me off.

Down with the Imperials. :dance:

Kegboy
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
The Imperials tried to cut my head off and that just tends to **** me off.

It's your own fault for trying to sneak across the border. What were you thinking?

Sparhawk
12-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Just doing more of the main quest, but I keep getting sidetracked cause I picked up a couple of side missions and I didn't mean to!

Need to chase down an Elder Scroll.

thewholefnshow31
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
It's your own fault for trying to sneak across the border. What were you thinking?

I thought they had the same policy as the US has. I figured they would just look the other way while I did work.

Cutting my head off would have really put a damper on my day so I still hold a grudge even though I broke the rules.

They messed with the wrong elf.

ECKrueger
12-31-2011, 04:57 AM
Been playing a ton since Christmas. I love this game.

Sparhawk
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM
After I got married in game, my "wife" completely disappeared from the temple.

I looked in all my homes and where she normally hangs out and then nothing. I finally went back to the temple and she was there. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

Got to ride on the back on the dragon, but they barely showed it. I really think that Bethesda is missing out on making some cinematic cut scenes. Or something like Mass Effect, where the loading screen like the elevator ride, is a nice touch. Wish they would have shown me on the dragon flying around.

Sparhawk
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Joined the Imperials. During the Whiterun quest, I called down a dragon for the first time. That was awesome.

Sparhawk
01-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Pretty much beat everything in the game at this point. I could do a few more side quests.

Ulfric turned out to be a real pussy. So disappointing.

Going back to 2K12!

travmil
01-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I joined the Stormcloaks. Hopefully the Imperials are tougher than Ulfric.

thewholefnshow31
01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
The best part of being married is the 500 coins she gives me every time I drop back into town to drop gear off at the house and sell other stuff. I am such a horrible husband. I never help around the house, clean, and I am always out in the streets fighting dragons and doing assassinations.

Finished up the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild. Rocking a mix of the Nightingale armor and Dark Brotherhood armor. The hood for the Nightingale armor is awesome, but I enjoy the 20% increase in archery more.

I rock the DB hood and gloves with the Nightingale armor and boots. While riding Shadowmare my guy looks pretty evil.

travmil
01-07-2012, 07:06 PM
So, I just finished the main quest...what a letdown...

I had played every thing up to the quest where you trap the dragon in Whiterun. Then I just left him there and went and did side quests and finished some of the other quest lines. When I jumped back into the main quest, I finished it from where I was to the end in just over an hour. And man does that ending STINK...good thing I have tons of other quests to finish...

Sparhawk
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
So, I just finished the main quest...what a letdown...

I had played every thing up to the quest where you trap the dragon in Whiterun. Then I just left him there and went and did side quests and finished some of the other quest lines. When I jumped back into the main quest, I finished it from where I was to the end in just over an hour. And man does that ending STINK...good thing I have tons of other quests to finish...

Bethesda is not known for ending a game with some thunder. Oblivion's ending sucked. Morrowind's ending sucked.

Wish they'd step it up a notch.

Still, nothing can be worse than Fable 2's ending.

ECKrueger
01-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Now that I know the ending is not great, I am eager to see what it is haha

Pig Nash
01-08-2012, 03:51 AM
I enjoyed it. I didn't stop purposefully to delay getting to it. I just kind of got to it as I was leveling up in other areas and doing other side quests. Felt organic and I enjoyed it.

Frostwolf
01-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I enjoyed it. I didn't stop purposefully to delay getting to it. I just kind of got to it as I was leveling up in other areas and doing other side quests. Felt organic and I enjoyed it.

it was ok. you killed the dragon, and then it's like YAY! you killed the dragon! now go off and do the other billion quests you haven't finished yet... no fanfare or anything.

i'm done with it now, done most of the non-radiance quests and i'm kinda sick of it. i'll probably start a new game next year or something with a completely different character.

Kegboy
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I thought the ending was fine story wise, but as I've said before, it was too easy. Maybe if there had been multiple dragons, or some priests or something. But instead it's you and 3 superheroes vs. one dragon.

travmil
01-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed with the game AT ALL. You rarely get this kind of gaming value out of $60. One thing I would say, is that the main quest shouldn't be the main quest. The Civil War quests should be the main quest. Those things are great, and could have been fleshed out even better if they had main quest treatment.

thewholefnshow31
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Was there an update or something that made the dragons insane?

I started a new character and I have randomly encountered dragons more with this new character more than ever. Nothing is more frustrating then being in the middle of trying to burn the bee hives down and hear a dragon attack. I was sneaking across e bridge and down comes the dragon and starts attacking the mercenaries guarding the hives.

I was just minding my own business making some daggers and leather armor and down comes another dragon to attack Riverdale. My final encounter was coming out of the abounded shack after making my decision about the Dark Brotherhood. It was like the damn thing was just waiting.

I love fighting dragons, but not this freaking much.

Sparhawk
01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Was there an update or something that made the dragons insane?

I started a new character and I have randomly encountered dragons more with this new character more than ever. Nothing is more frustrating then being in the middle of trying to burn the bee hives down and hear a dragon attack. I was sneaking across e bridge and down comes the dragon and starts attacking the mercenaries guarding the hives.

I was just minding my own business making some daggers and leather armor and down comes another dragon to attack Riverdale. My final encounter was coming out of the abounded shack after making my decision about the Dark Brotherhood. It was like the damn thing was just waiting.

I love fighting dragons, but not this freaking much.

That was my only real complaint about the game is how often a dragon comes along. Just way too often. Having said that, many dragon fell beneath my blade.

thewholefnshow31
01-16-2012, 01:17 PM
That was my only real complaint about the game is how often a dragon comes along. Just way too often. Having said that, many dragon fell beneath my blade.

Now that I am a higher level it is ok because I love taking their power, but early on it was just beyond frustrating.

Though it gave me a good laugh when the one attacked Riverdale. The elf that you help out with the guy trying to steal his girl ended up getting killed and lying in the middle of the street. Took his weapons and clothes and sold it to the general store that she works at and took the house.:dance:

I love playing an evil character that just does whatever is best for him.

Sparhawk
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Now that I am a higher level it is ok because I love taking their power, but early on it was just beyond frustrating.

Though it gave me a good laugh when the one attacked Riverdale. The elf that you help out with the guy trying to steal his girl ended up getting killed and lying in the middle of the street. Took his weapons and clothes and sold it to the general store that she works at and took the house.:dance:

I love playing an evil character that just does whatever is best for him.

I actually played a more evil character this time around. It was a lot of fun.

Sandman21
01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mjc9PfyQRIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Words cannot express my opinion on this.

Sparhawk
01-19-2012, 08:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mjc9PfyQRIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Words cannot express my opinion on this.

Saw the macho dragon one. Hilarious!

clownskull
01-25-2012, 02:20 AM
i went to dawnstar recently and the captain of the boat just shot up about 80 feet straight in the air and hung up there for about 5-10 seconds. he died when he fell back down.
weird stuff- must have been a glitch.

thewholefnshow31
01-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Good lord I did not know how quickly you could go up in smiting. I started another character to be a good character that resembles a paladin to balance out my other bad character.

I just got to Whiterun and I am all ready a level seven overall and all ready able to make elven armor.

The only glitch I really have run into was the Forsworn Conspiracy glitch where the guards would not arrest me. They just stood there so I took the money and ran.

travmil
01-25-2012, 11:18 AM
my favorite bug I've seen is one I saw where a guy on a horse was flying around. Him and his horse would always be facing the same spot, but they were flying around it in circles going VERY far out and flying back changing elevation. I sat and watched it for a few minutes then lured a nearby mammoth over to kill them. Fun times.

clownskull
01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
my favorite bug I've seen is one I saw where a guy on a horse was flying around. Him and his horse would always be facing the same spot, but they were flying around it in circles going VERY far out and flying back changing elevation. I sat and watched it for a few minutes then lured a nearby mammoth over to kill them. Fun times.

i enjoy starting something with a monster and then run. i lure them into places like whiterun and watch the locals get caught up in the situation. sometimes i almost feel kinda bad about it. i saw a giant hit some dude with with a club and he must have gone flying well over 100 feet up in the air. i couldn't help laughing my *** off.

thewholefnshow31
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I actually played a more evil character this time around. It was a lot of fun.

It definitely is more fun and it gives you some more group missions to play. Cannot play a good guy and really join the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood.

I have a good character and it has opened up some other smaller missions.

travmil
01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Cannot play a good guy and really join the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood.

You can join the Thieves Guild pretty easily and even finish the questline and still be on almost everyone's good side. The Dark Brotherhood though, I don't know.

thewholefnshow31
01-27-2012, 01:56 PM
You can join the Thieves Guild pretty easily and even finish the questline and still be on almost everyone's good side. The Dark Brotherhood though, I don't know.

The DB is pretty off limits if you want to be a good guy. Assassination tend to be a more of a bad guy thing especially with who you have to assassinate at the very end.

So have anybody done a true mage character? After spending hours playing as my various characters I do not see how playing a pure mage can really work. I can see a mage mixed with like an archer type character being easier.

Sparhawk
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM

That's one of the downsides to the game. There isn't enough consequences for your actions. I beat the Dark Brotherhood quest line and no one at the Companions or College ever mentioned it.

Hopefully they work on that.

Sparhawk
01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
The DB is pretty off limits if you want to be a good guy. Assassination tend to be a more of a bad guy thing especially with who you have to assassinate at the very end.

So have anybody done a true mage character? After spending hours playing as my various characters I do not see how playing a pure mage can really work. I can see a mage mixed with like an archer type character being easier.

No. I like to go for stealth and bow. I didn't use magic often other than for healing purposes.

SoupIsGood
01-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Pure mage was my favorite of the archetypes, although once you have all the spells and a couple nice enchantments they don't leave much else for a mage to do. A thief or warrior gets to keep improving his armor and weapons for a much longer time. You hit the ceiling on a pure mage much sooner.

Conjuration and the destruction impact perk make a pure mage extremely deadly. I didn't even bother with the alteration mage armor stuff, as between restoration and conjuration a mage has more than enough defense.

Impact-perk dual-casted fireballs = death to all. And since fireball is probably the games most visually impressive spell, it could be quite fun. And the elemental wall spells were great for taking down extremely strong enemies. Just run from a giant while spraying a wall of flames in your wake. . .

Magicka regenerates as a % of total magicka always, so when choosing between +regeneration or +magicka enchantments, +magicka is always the way to go.

I did find myself wishing there were more spells that did something other than instant damage. I'd like to be able to curse an enemy for continual poison damage, instead of always using a weapon to apply a poison. And I didn't really like how the directional pad was used. Dedicate some other button to opening a quick-favorites menu--I'd rather use the d-pad as a series of hotkeys. It could become tedious.

thewholefnshow31
01-27-2012, 04:57 PM
That's one of the downsides to the game. There isn't enough consequences for your actions. I beat the Dark Brotherhood quest line and no one at the Companions or College ever mentioned it.

Hopefully they work on that.

I think they had to balance realistic with fun a bit here. How boring would it be to never be able to set foot in Solitude again after killing the Emperor for real? You would miss out on a lot of quests, shops, and just random stuff to do. Realistically, you should be cut to pieces, but for fun they probably lessened reactions so people do not get frustrated.

It is why I was not a big fan of GTA4. It leaned more towards the realistic side with cell phones, friends, girlfriends, etc. and at some point I do not want realistic. That is why I liked SR2 much more then GTA4.

Pure mage was my favorite of the archetypes, although once you have all the spells and a couple nice enchantments they don't leave much else for a mage to do. A thief or warrior gets to keep improving his armor and weapons for a much longer time. You hit the ceiling on a pure mage much sooner.

Conjuration and the destruction impact perk make a pure mage extremely deadly. I didn't even bother with the alteration mage armor stuff, as between restoration and conjuration a mage has more than enough defense.

Impact-perk dual-casted fireballs = death to all. And since fireball is probably the games most visually impressive spell, it could be quite fun. And the elemental wall spells were great for taking down extremely strong enemies. Just run from a giant while spraying a wall of flames in your wake. . .

Dual casted fireballs sound amazing. I might have to try it with a hint of archery in there. I can never get enough of archery and drop guys like flies with and stealing their souls with my enchanted elven bows.

Peck
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
So has anyone opened up the entire map yet? I am very close, I think I only need to find 15 more places, which sounds like a lot but in this game is nothing.

travmil
01-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I think I'm pretty close too. While playing, every time I've seen an undiscovered location on my radar I went there to unlock it.

thewholefnshow31
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
How in the world do you buy Honeyside in Riften?

I have helped out three to four people in Riften and did the Jarl quest about the skooma dealers, but every time I talk to her there is nothing new for me to become Thane of Riften and buy the house.

travmil
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Did you side with the storm cloaks or the imperials? They offered me the option to buy it, I just haven't done it yet. I sided with the storm cloaks and finished the Civil War quests, so Maven Black-Briar isn't the Jarl anymore. As far as help around Riften, I found Ice Wraith teeth for the elf that sells food, 10 fire salts for the forge (man this one was tough), two flawless sapphires (also tough) and a silver ingot for the jewelry maker, ingredients for the young girl at the alchemist shop, helped the lizard in the inn propose to his girlfriend, killed the old bag that runs the orphanage, and found Mjolls sword for her. I suspect that Mjolls sword might be the one holding you back because the lady mentioned Mjoll during the conversation.

thewholefnshow31
01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I have not sided with either side yet.

I helped the Jarl's mage find her stuff, I helped the farmer get his bow back from the bandits, gave a begger some money, gave the Argonian a health potion so she didn't fired from the fishery, and have only found four fire salts. I will have to try the sword one.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I have not sided with either side yet.

I helped the Jarl's mage find her stuff, I helped the farmer get his bow back from the bandits, gave a begger some money, gave the Argonian a health potion so she didn't fired from the fishery, and have only found four fire salts. I will have to try the sword one.You have to help out with the Skooma problem. Ask around the fishery.

thewholefnshow31
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
You have to help out with the Skooma problem. Ask around the fishery.

I am wondering if my game is glitched because I did the Skooma stuff. Once I talked the Jarl I had no other option other then talk to her about the Theives Guild.

Talked the Argonian about it.
Went to talk to the Jarl and got the key
Killed the dealer and found out about the cave
Killed everyone in the cave
Came back and told the Jarl it was done.

travmil
01-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah, you are at the same point as me, only there was a lengthy conversation about being a helper of riften like mjoll and said she would make me thane if I purchased Honeyside. Are you sure it isn't in your miscellaneous objectives to purchase it from the steward? That's where it is for me.

travmil
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
ugh...I wish there weren't so many jobs to restore the thieves guild to glory. I also wish I realized how it worked earlier...I bet I'm 40 jobs in and still have a few to go because I didn't do them in the right city.

Sparhawk
01-30-2012, 10:56 PM
ugh...I wish there weren't so many jobs to restore the thieves guild to glory. I also wish I realized how it worked earlier...I bet I'm 40 jobs in and still have a few to go because I didn't do them in the right city.

I just completely stopped. What a chore and what a bore.

I also stopped since one of my Thieves Guild quests glitched and I couldn't complete it. :(

travmil
01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
FINALLY finished the Thieves Guild quests and became Guild Master. The armor looks bad***.

thewholefnshow31
02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, you are at the same point as me, only there was a lengthy conversation about being a helper of riften like mjoll and said she would make me thane if I purchased Honeyside. Are you sure it isn't in your miscellaneous objectives to purchase it from the steward? That's where it is for me.

I just did not help enough people. I helped the dark elf in the market find out about his past and then ran to the Jarl and up came the option for the house. It is not as big as the place in Solitude or Windhelm, but it definitely fits my needs since it has a garden, alchemy lab, enchanting table, and tanning rack.

I breezed through the Thieves Guild and Darkbrother hood and missed the Guild Master and Ancient Darkbrother hood armor. Now I am trying to get both this time through.

I tried to be a good guy, but it is just not as fun.

immortality
02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
FINALLY finished the Thieves Guild quests and became Guild Master. The armor looks bad***.

I wish you could get the armor without those enchants. I am the GM i want to enchant it whatever I want dammit.

travmil
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I just got my new issue of Gameinformer yesterday and in it there's an interview with one of the QA testers for Skyrim. Bethesda holds a "speed run" challenge after every release between one of the developers and one of the QA staff. The guy from QA won the challenge with a start to finish time of 2 hours and 16 minutes. The developer finished just 20 seconds behind him. When he leveled up, he chose the health/magika/stamina upgrade and that's it, avoided the perk trees altogether to save time. They rushed through it so fast I was immediately reminded of Peck's run through Fallout 3.

travmil
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
It should also be noted that both of these guys had the text trees committed to memory so they could just button mash through every conversation.

Also, the same QA tester won the speed run for Fallout 3 with a time of 1 hour and 15 minutes. That doesn't even seem possible.

Peck
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I just got my new issue of Gameinformer yesterday and in it there's an interview with one of the QA testers for Skyrim. Bethesda holds a "speed run" challenge after every release between one of the developers and one of the QA staff. The guy from QA won the challenge with a start to finish time of 2 hours and 16 minutes. The developer finished just 20 seconds behind him. When he leveled up, he chose the health/magika/stamina upgrade and that's it, avoided the perk trees altogether to save time. They rushed through it so fast I was immediately reminded of Peck's run through Fallout 3.

:banghead: You had to remind me.

thewholefnshow31
02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Two hours to complete the game? That is crazy.

Well poor Lydia fell to the Mace of Molag Bal the other night. I was bandit hunting for the Jarl of Whiterun and I felt bad for her while she was just sitting there eating bread in DragonReach.

So I brought her along and then she got into a bit of trouble. I run over there to help her and the moment I start my swing the bandit falls to a knee and I miss and connect with her face. Poor Lydia went down like a sack a potatoes.

Thankfully my guy is a bad guy so he just took her stuff and went on with cleaning out the cave.

Peck
02-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Ok, I've opened up 339 locations on the map.

Does anyone have a clue as to how many there really are? What is really odd is that there are places located in the world that do not show up on the map even when you go into the building.

I found a Dwarven storage unit north of Cragwallow slope that had a slew of bounty in it and several master locked doors and safe's, yet even after going all through it, it does not show up on the map.

Same goes for the mines to the east of Karthwasten, neither of them show up.

I've read different reports about the number of locations. Some have it as low as 350 and others have it as high as 500. However the people who have the 500 number also say that they are privey to the DLC and honestly I am wondering if I haven't stumbled onto a couple of places (the Dwarven Storage Unit for one). I think 500 is really far fetched though.

Anyway anbody have a real clue as to how many?

Also how many of you have done the headless horseman quest?

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I saw the headless horseman quest like when I was level 10, but I couldn't keep up with him. It was completely random the first time it happened for me so it was a very cool/creepy experience because I didn't know what it was at first.

thewholefnshow31
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I saw him running over a bridge near Markarth. I just stood there thinking is that what I think it is and I tried to go after him, but when you are on foot and he is on a horse it is hard to keep up. I have not run into him again.

Sparhawk
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Ok, I've opened up 339 locations on the map.

Does anyone have a clue as to how many there really are? What is really odd is that there are places located in the world that do not show up on the map even when you go into the building.

I found a Dwarven storage unit north of Cragwallow slope that had a slew of bounty in it and several master locked doors and safe's, yet even after going all through it, it does not show up on the map.

Same goes for the mines to the east of Karthwasten, neither of them show up.

I've read different reports about the number of locations. Some have it as low as 350 and others have it as high as 500. However the people who have the 500 number also say that they are privey to the DLC and honestly I am wondering if I haven't stumbled onto a couple of places (the Dwarven Storage Unit for one). I think 500 is really far fetched though.

Anyway anbody have a real clue as to how many?

Also how many of you have done the headless horseman quest?

I've opened a ton of locations, but not sure as the exact number.

Haven't seen the headless horseman.

thewholefnshow31
02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I am use to the whole hit points in role playing games, RPGs, and games like Skyrim, but sometimes it just seems silly.

Last night I started a Death Knight character and was just exploring near Riverdale and ran into some bandits walking through the woods. I pull out my bow and literally shot one of the bandits in the face. The guy just kept coming even with an arrow through his face.

This guy was just wearing some basic fur armor so it is not like he had an iron helmet or a steel helmet on to block the arrow.

travmil
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
There are people on the various Skyrim message boards who claim to have opened 350 locations.

thewholefnshow31
02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I do not think this has been posted yet

http://m.kotaku.com/5883580/kinect+enabled-shouts-and-dragon-mounts-will-skyrims-game-jam-experiments-ever-see-the-light-of-day/gallery/1?tag=theelderscrolls

Some of this would be amazing DLC especially being able to build your own house.

Sparhawk
02-18-2012, 09:21 PM

http://m.kotaku.com/5883580/kinect+enabled-shouts-and-dragon-mounts-will-skyrims-game-jam-experiments-ever-see-the-light-of-day/gallery/1?tag=theelderscrolls

Some of this would be amazing DLC especially being able to build your own house.

I did read somewhere that the DLCs will be more like expansion packs. Yay!!!!

I just want to know when the first one will roll around.

PaceBalls
02-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Dragon Mounts... that would be so freakin awesome.

travmil
06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
So......

Anyone download Dawnguard yet?

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
It should also be noted that both of these guys had the text trees committed to memory so they could just button mash through every conversation.

Also, the same QA tester won the speed run for Fallout 3 with a time of 1 hour and 15 minutes. That doesn't even seem possible.

This is one of the coolest things Bethesda does, the times are always crazy.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I've been trying to decide if I want to get back into Skyrim, I never really got into it the way I have the other Elder Scrolls games, I really got tired of a dragon attacking me every time I fast travelled. It's cool at first, but after a while it is kind of annoying.

thewholefnshow31
06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I've been trying to decide if I want to get back into Skyrim, I never really got into it the way I have the other Elder Scrolls games, I really got tired of a dragon attacking me every time I fast travelled. It's cool at first, but after a while it is kind of annoying.

I have thought about getting back into it again, but your complaint is the same I have. Having the dragons attack almost every time you fast travel got old real quick.

Sparhawk
06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Man, it's been so long, I'm not even sure I want to get back into Skyrim.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
No-one has mentioned Dawnguard yet? DLC this summer focusing on vampires and werewolves, sounds cool to me. They are also beta testing horse combat for an upcoming patch, though I heard its kinda crappy.

This is still the main game I play. Though I only play it about once or twice a week. Its hard to find a decent chunk of time to sit down and play, this definitely isn't a game where you can play for just a 30-60 min session at a time.

Peck
06-29-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm playing it now. I'll be honest it took me awhile to decide that I wanted to do this again and at first the game didn't seem like it had much story and was more just hack & slash (which has it's place but I like a good story better). But now that I've played it for awhile I am back in with both feet. Story is progressing nicely. This actually is one of the better DLC's on a RPG that I've done.

Peck
06-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Further update. D@mn this thing is massive. Story is now kicking @ss.

This is a great DLC expansion.

Constellations
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Still going hard with this game myself. Just started a new character a week ago. Just hit level 20 a few minutes ago.

Nord
Primary: Archery
Secondary: One-Handed Swords/ Off-Hand Shield
Main Skill: Smithing