PDA

View Full Version : Hey all I'm having brain surgery on Tuesday

SycamoreKen
11-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, I know I haven't been around much lately, but school, school, caoching and my wife having some medical issues has me swamped. Anyway, I am having brain surgery on Tueday to remove a non-malignant tumor that I've been carrying around for a while. It is right on the surface of my brain and under my skull, so it should be pretty non-invasive.

I'm going to ask that you keep my wife in your thoughts and prayers more than myself. I'm not worried but she is really stressed. I can't wait for Tuesday to get overwith for her sake. Anyway, thanks in advance and I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving if you celebrate it and a wonderful week!

SoupIsGood
11-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I'll have you both in my thoughts! How long will you be in recovery?

Sollozzo
11-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Keeping you all in my thoughts!

Peck
11-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Good luck Ken, I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you.

Hicks
11-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Good luck!

Stryder
11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Good thoughts heading your way!

Doug
11-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Will do. Good luck!

SycamoreKen
11-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I'll have you both in my thoughts! How long will you be in recovery?

I'm not sure how long it will take for me to get up and around, but I'm not going back to my teaching position until January. I'm really going to miss my class and my team.

If anyone has any idea how long recovery from something like this takes I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Bball
11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Good Luck!

idioteque
11-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Both of you are in my prayers. Best of luck to both of you sir.

travmil
11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
We'll be thinking of you and your family Ken.

Shade
11-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow, that really sucks, especially having to go into surgery right before Thanksgiving.

Good luck!

Los Angeles
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I've always thought you needed another hole in your head.

Just kidding!

Many thoughts/prayers/smoke/goodvibes headed your way.

I've been under the knife several times and it is always scary. Just remember, most doctors are in the good habit of keeping their patients in full understanding of risks and consequences.

That means that if your doctors are 100% confident that what they are doing is simple and routine, then you should be confident too. Sounds like they are, which is good news.

SycamoreKen
11-20-2011, 01:21 PM
He is a really good guy. He is from Chicago, graduated from U of Iowa, IUPUI, and got his medical degree from IU. We sat and talked for a long time on each appointment and he answered my wife's questions, she is a nurse, to her satisfaction. My two quiestions were: 1. Can you record the procedure or at least take a pic. He said he would take a pic to the joy of my 6th graders. 2. Would the metal mesh/plate be magnetic? No to that since it is titanium.

kester99
11-20-2011, 01:34 PM
God bless and keep you both, Ken.

-------------------

So you can do human torpedo, super head bash, and other cool superhero moves once the titanium is installed?

travmil
11-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Titanium mesh head plate?

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology....

Scot Pollard
11-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Wishing you guys well and best of luck with your surgery.

God bless and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

MagicRat
11-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, Ken.

Look forward to hearing from you as soon as you are able.

SycamoreKen
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, Ken.

Look forward to hearing from you as soon as you are able.

Thanks and will do. Our new car came with XM radio and the Springsteen channel is awesome. Worth the price of the subscription itself.

Trader Joe
11-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Thoughts are with you Ken.

jeffg-body
11-21-2011, 01:03 AM
I will keep you in my prayers for a full recovery.

bellisimo
11-21-2011, 04:06 AM
good luck buddy.
I haven't heard of any news of new drug kingpin on the horizon in your neck of the woods...so thanks for not going Heisenberg on us :)

indygeezer
11-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Here's thinking of you kid.

Go Trees!

Los Angeles
11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Maybe they can install some of these while you're under?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/16696/717394-wolverineshand_super.jpg

travmil
11-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, today is the day, maybe you're already under. I'll be thinking about you buddy!

Major Cold
11-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Praying for you brother.

travmil
11-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know, Ken has been posting on Facebook periodically and it appears that everything is OK. Hopefully he'll get some time to log in and give us an update.

SycamoreKen
11-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for update Trav. Yes, I made it through and am back home. Now that we have my pain med schedule planned out I hoping all my days will be like today. I got to come home Thursday which was nice. Thanks again for all of the well wishes and prayers.

RWB
11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
2. Would the metal mesh/plate be magnetic? No to that since it is titanium.

I've been off PD for a week and a half and just saw your post. Glad you're doing fine friend. Hope you got to see your Sycamores on ESPN2 this weekend as they represented themselves well for a national audience.

While you'll not be able to stick paper clips to your head the one side effect of the titanium is interesting. My Mrs. has a titanium plate in her neck and everytime we go through a metal detector it sets off the machine. So... don't be surprised and or embarassed the next time you go to a National Museum or such the alarm goes off. Yes, they'll actually have to get out the wand and run it over your head. :D

travmil
11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
So... don't be surprised and or embarassed the next time you go to a National Museum or such the alarm goes off. Yes, they'll actually have to get out the wand and run it over your head. :D

Tell them it's your bomb hatch. Security folks LOVE jokes like that.

SycamoreKen
11-29-2011, 12:02 AM
My niece asked me today if I had gone through any security that it would make go of. i told her no, but am looking forward to doing so to see the reaction.

jeffg-body
11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear you are doing better. When I had my shoulder fixed it would go off at the security check points.

Slick Pinkham
11-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear that all is going well with the recovery, Ken. I hope it contunues that way!

SycamoreKen
12-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I want to give you all an update. I went to teh doctor yesterday and got my staples removed and cleared to drive and most activities. He told me I was doing great and to let me body tell me when to rest. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers!

duke dynamite
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I want to give you all an update. I went to teh doctor yesterday and got my staples removed and cleared to drive and most activities. He told me I was doing great and to let me body tell me when to rest. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers!
:2tup: Great news!!!

SycamoreKen
12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I get to go see my girl's team play for the first time since I left school. They Have won 3 games in my absence, so I hope I have not been voted off the team!

Los Angeles
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
IT'S ALIVE!

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2011/05/young_frankenstein1.jpg

Great to hear you're on the mend, Ken!

90'sNBARocked
12-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Hey guys, I know I haven't been around much lately, but school, school, caoching and my wife having some medical issues has me swamped. Anyway, I am having brain surgery on Tueday to remove a non-malignant tumor that I've been carrying around for a while. It is right on the surface of my brain and under my skull, so it should be pretty non-invasive.

I'm going to ask that you keep my wife in your thoughts and prayers more than myself. I'm not worried but she is really stressed. I can't wait for Tuesday to get overwith for her sake. Anyway, thanks in advance and I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving if you celebrate it and a wonderful week!

My Step mom had I believe virtually the same thing. That was a couple years ago and she is doing fine, I tease her all the time that surgery actually made her smart

The toughest thing was seeing her right after surgery, she looked liked she went a couple rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime

It took a few months before she started to really feel "normal" but I thank God she really seems ok today

God bless my friend

SycamoreKen
12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I didn't really think the thing he took out was affecting me at all, but I have noticed a difference since then. It is truly like a pressure has been released in my head. I'm just so grateful we found an amazing doctor and I have been able to recover so quickly. 3 weeks ago today I had the surgery and today I went to my school for my classes Christmas party. Amazed and blessed I am!

Los Angeles
12-16-2011, 05:27 PM
That's fantastic Ken!

Congratulations!