PDA

View Full Version : Sonos Wireless Audio Systems

beast23
11-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Has anyone set up a wireless sound system using the new Sonos equipment?

The set up and operation is obviously very simple. I was just wondering about any opinions of the quality of the sound.

Thanks.

Hicks
11-13-2011, 01:20 PM
No, but I share in wanting to hear from anyone that has.

beast23
11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I will probably just go over to Best Buy on Monday or Tuesday and pick up a controller, bridge and 5-speaker player. I'll let you know how it goes.

Trader Joe
11-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I have a complete sonos system in my house. Sound is just as good as the fully wired system my parents have throughout their house.

I have two zone players that play through both my surround sound speaker systems, and I also have a few of the actual sonos speakers.

Sound is top notch and the ability to control it from your phone is super cool.

Definitely recommend.

How cool is it to be able to set up a play list on the sonos player that I can pick up anywher ein the house that can mix and match songs from itunes, rhapsody, etc. Amazing stuff.

beast23
11-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Well, Best Buy has a special going on. It's not much, but you do get a free 49.95 bridge with either a Play 3 or Play 5 unit.

Just to try them out, I got a Play 3 and a Play 5. They do not carry the controllers, but I had them order me the higher end control unit, which will come in on 11/18.

I took them home and purposely did not read the instructions. I opened the bridge, hooked it up to my wireless router via ethernet and popped in the CD. The CD will install a controller on your PC and will update the software. It then leads you through the installation of however many speaker units you wish to install from there.

I installed the Play 3 and Play 5 units in different rooms.

Literally, from taking the bridge out of the box, using only the instructions provided through the setup CD, it took me 12 minutes to install the bridge, the Play 3 unit and the Play 5 unit... and begin listening to music. 12 freakin' minutes. I have never encountered anything so easy to install.

I already had an iTunes library installed on my PC, which I began porting into Sonos. While that was being performed, I selected to listen to music from one of the radio stations preset into Sonos. So, as I am listening to a Beatles station, my iTunes libraries are being ported into Sonos.

I am not going to say that the music quality is as good as my high end Klipsch speakers. But I will say it is as good as any of the popular Bose speaker systems... cubes, Acoustamass 5 - 7 - 10 etc that I've used.

I probably will get more speakers to create surround sound in each room, but I have to say that the Sonos product is slicker than heck. I am able to tinker with virtually any setting anywhere independently.

But for right now, I think I've just rendered my wired speakers obsolete. Well, except for my Klipsch speakers for my home theatre... those I will not give up.

Trader Joe
11-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Ah, Beast! Why did you buy a controller? All you need is a Droid or an iPhone and boom you have a free controller. Sigh. I thought you'd pick up on that from my post. Their controllers are such a rip off! Go cancel that order if you can and just download the app for a smart phone. Or heck use this oppurtunity to get yourself a smart phone or a tablet of some kind. I mean the controller is like $350! You can get a tablet for around that price or just upgrade your phone. Seriously, go cancel that order if you can. It is the biggest rip off ever. Luckily, I was advised by home entertainment company to not buy one of those and just download the free app.

beast23
11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
We have a ton of house guests throughout the year. I wanted something that I could leave at home to accommodate everyone running in and out.

What I may do is try to set up everything through one of my Harmony remotes. But until I get around to doing that, I will be evaluating their controller.

Trader Joe
11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Well it's up to you, I have my iPod touch, my droid, and an iPad as controllers, plus I can us my control4 remotes as well.

I just couldn't swallow paying that much for a remote that has basically the same functionality as one of my other devices.

beast23
11-16-2011, 09:09 AM
There is one other idea that my wife had. We have an older laptop (wireless) that we are not using. We have considered setting it up for facebook, email, etc. for guests. It would be quite easy to establish a controller on it and use it for the Sonos system.

Heck, I could probably also use the laptop to hold the music as well.

Thanks for initiating the idea.