PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Cuts Announced - Edwards Stays

obnoxiousmodesty
10-28-2004, 05:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_rookies_041028.html

Edwards Survives Cuts

By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 28, 2004

Only one remains, but all will be remembered.

The Pacers cut three players on Thursday afternoon, all with non-guaranteed contracts: second-round pick Rashad Wright, undrafted rookie Desmon Farmer and free agent Randy Holcomb. The moves leave 15 players on the roster including undrafted rookie center John Edwards. No further move is necessary before the regular-season roster must be submitted Monday afternoon.

In an additional move, the team picked up the option on Fred Jones' rookie contract for the 2005-06 season. Negotiations continue on an extension for Jamaal Tinsley, who is entering the final season of his rookie contract.

"I like all of them," said franchise President Donnie Walsh about the camp invitees. "I thought they played at a high level, were good kids and worked their butts off. Each one of them has a chance to play in the NBA.

"Desmon Farmer can score the ball but he needs to be in the right place, and this wasn't the right place for him (because the Pacers are very deep at shooting guard). Rashad Wright just needs to get out and play some more and he can be a player like Kevin Ollie. And Randy Holcomb was really impressive. He really played hard and everything you asked him to do, he did."

Though Edwards survived the cut, Walsh said that didn't necessarily mean the 7-foot rookie from Kent State would be on the final roster.

"John Edwards will end up being in the NBA, for sure," said Walsh. "I guess he is, for now."

Those players were the stars of the game Wednesday night, when the Pacers whipped the Chicago Bulls 91-71 in a preseason game in Conseco Fieldhouse. Holcomb had 12 points and eight rebounds; Edwards 11 points and five rebounds and Farmer 11 points.

"I love 'em," said Stephen Jackson afterward. "This is by far the greatest group of rookies I've been around. They're fun to be around, they're all hungry and they want to make this team and they all show everybody the respect that they want themselves. I love 'em. I wish them the best. If they don't make this team wish them well somewhere else, but they all became good friends of mine."

The preseason concludes Friday night against Denver in Conseco Fieldhouse. Jamaal Tinsley and Ron Artest, starters who sat out Wednesday night, are expected back in the lineup as the team goes through its final tuneup before the regular-season opener next Wednesday night in Cleveland.

A late-bloomer who played one year of high school varsity basketball and walked on as a freshman at Kent State, Edwards was an All-MAC selection as a senior. He has demonstrated a nice touch around the basket and a willingness to work to polish his relatively raw game. Though cut day is looming, Edwards isn't allowing himself to look ahead.

"The only thing I'm worried about is the next practice," he said. "It's a day-by-day thing. That's how you've got to approach it. You can't get focused on the future. You have to take it a day at a time.

"I'm worried about showing people that day that I can play. I'm not looking ahead to anything. The only thing I'm looking ahead to is tomorrow."

Hicks
10-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooo

Hicks
10-28-2004, 05:53 PM
It's funny, a week ago I would have been happy, because I'd predicted weeks ago that Edwards would make the cut, and I think I even threw his name onto the rosters page back then here under "Fundamentals". But after hearing and reading about Holcomb, I really wanted him to stay.

obnoxiousmodesty
10-28-2004, 05:54 PM
If you're John Edwards, does the following comment by Donnie inspire belief you're going to be around for long?

"John Edwards will end up being in the NBA, for sure," said Walsh. "I guess he is, for now."

Uh... welcome to the team... I guess.

Peck
10-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Absolute utter crap.

Once again we have been duped by Walsh's love/need/desire to have a seven foot caucasion goof on our bench.

Has there been one single season in the past 18 years this guy hasn't found one token 7 footer who can't play basketball but has potential because he's tall?

Randy Holcomb was a real basketball player. He could come into the team right now & actually contribute & by contributing I mean more than fouls.

Wait till you guys see John's skyhook:rolleyes:.

I knew this would come. Oh well it doesn't matter I doubt Edwards even see's the floor once J.O. is back.

I feel really bad for Holcomb though.

Shade
10-28-2004, 06:26 PM
So much for all the Pacers camp hype about Rashad Wright on draft day. :shrug:

Kegboy
10-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, this is distressing.

Of course, this could just be temporary. If Harrison is cleared on Friday, as hoped, they might cut him then. But if not, Peck's right, Holcomb deserved the spot much more than this stiff.

Ya know, there's another theory I just can't resist. Maybe Larry is really in charge. Note, out of the 4 possible guys, Edwards was the only one that was white...

:sarcasm: :devil: :zip: :peak:
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Hicks
10-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Um, I think this was Rick's call, guys. Walsh/Bird only decided whether to keep ANYBODY or not.

TheSauceMaster
10-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Uh I did say this in another Thread , No suprise here ;)

Anthem
10-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Who did Edwards play against in the Chicago game?

I mean, he'll foul out in 5 minutes against Shaq, sure. But Chicago's frontline is much closer to the NBA average.

Kegboy
10-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Who did Edwards play against in the Chicago game?

I mean, he'll foul out in 5 minutes against Shaq, sure. But Chicago's frontline is much closer to the NBA average.

As I stated elsewhere, Holcomb took Curry. I think most of the time Edwards was on Othella Harrington.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

ABADays
10-28-2004, 09:47 PM
This is nothing more than a lowly political ploy by the Pacer organization to keep the name John Edwards in the public eye until the election.

Freaking liberals :devil:

Unclebuck
10-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Peck, you seem to be freaking out a little the past few days. It is a long season.

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 10:12 PM
The rate things are going, it is going to be a very long season...

Anthem
10-28-2004, 11:01 PM
On D, Othella Harrington is a servicable big man. Not great, but there's worse out there.

Bball
10-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Cool... we're picking a center project over a guy that is ready to play now. :confused:

You can't find just any 7' projects at the drop of the hat....

I thought Walsh said he was thru with projects when he gave the 2003 post mortem.... the same one that said he wasn't firing Isiah. :confused:

-Bball

MagicRat
10-29-2004, 08:44 AM
How far he's come. From Reggie calling him Josh and then having his voice crack like Peter Brady to making the opening day roster...........

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/joshedwards.mp3

Absolute utter crap.

Once again we have been duped by Walsh's love/need/desire to have a seven foot caucasion goof on our bench.

Has there been one single season in the past 18 years this guy hasn't found one token 7 footer who can't play basketball but has potential because he's tall?
I feel sorry for Donnie/Larry. They trade a caucasion 7 footer and people :banghead:. They leave one unprotected, Charlotte takes him and people :cry:. They try to keep one and people :soundoff:. They just can't win.......:p

fwpacerfan
10-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Boy oh boy if we only had Brad Miller!

Anyway, if Foster doesn't go down I think Edwards goes and Holcomb stays. Add to that, all summer the talk has been that the Pacers need more big men and 7' and 275 lbs. qualifies as big.

Ragnar
10-29-2004, 10:28 AM
I think Edwards will get cut the second we have a warm body to take the minutes.

If this quote does not sum it up nothing will

"Though Edwards survived the cut, Walsh said that didn't necessarily mean the 7-foot rookie from Kent State would be on the final roster.

Sure does not sound to me that they wanted to keep this guy. I hope (I am not counting on but I hope) that they are going to go back and pick up Holcomb the second they can cut Edwards. I hope they arranged that already.

ChicagoJ
10-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Absolute utter crap.

I thought Pollard filled this role well enough? Why do we need two?

Dukins
10-29-2004, 12:37 PM
I knew Edwards would make the team. People giving up on him. He has only play basketball for 5 years. I give him a couple of years. He will be ok. He is a lil awkward, but if you remember Rik Smits looked the same way.:o

The_Diddler20
10-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Edwards is a useless piece of poo.... Holcomb would walk all over Edwards. they kept him for the name and he will be cut soon so it doesnt really matter. After to Edwards is cut and Kerry loses the election both Edwards will drink :alcohol: themselves into a drunken stuper :buddies:
:puke:
:boomer:

Arcadian
10-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Between Donnie's emphatic "...I guess he is (in the NBA) for now" and the fact that we have 4 big men hurt (Harrison, Foster, JO and Bender, who I amost for got about. Bender on the IR is a redundancy) it appears to me Edwards won't be here long.

I would guess when people get health he will be let go and we will carry 14 players.