PDA

View Full Version : Who Stays? Who gets cut?

McKeyFan
10-28-2004, 12:43 PM
I'll just go ahead and start a thread for predictions on what the final roster will be. (Actually, I don't know all of the ends and outs of how it goes, so corrections are welcome. Also, I don't know how many are allowed on IR--or is that part of the 15?)

Let's assume the following 9 are definites:

Jermaine O'Neil
Reggie Miller
Ron Artest
Stephen Jackson
Jamaal Tinsley
Austin Croshere
Eddie Gill
Fred Jones
Scot Pollard

That leaves six spots, unless they take only 14 (and somebody needs to explain to me again why they'd do that. )

The following 4 would normally make the team, but injuries make them a potential to start the season on the injured reserve list:

Jonathan Bender
David Harrison
Anthony Johnson
Jeff Foster

That leaves us with these remaining:

Rashad Wright
John Edwards
Randy Holcomb
Desmon Farmer
James Jones

I'd like to hear your predictions...

Ragnar
10-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Clearly we keep James Jones that is a no brainer.

I would keep Holcomb.

TheSauceMaster
10-28-2004, 12:55 PM
We'll Keep John Edwards and James Jones ;)

TheSauceMaster
10-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately for Randy Holcomb , I think we would be alittle over burden at the PF , honestly I would love to keep Randy Holcomb but I just don't see where he will get alot of PT , so that's why I said Edwards ;)

McKeyFan
10-28-2004, 01:03 PM
How many of the 15 are on IR. And who do you think will start the season on IR?

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
12 on the roster, a maximum of three on IR.

We'll put Foster, AJ and Harrison on the IR.

John Edwards will make the opening day roster, and he'll get cut when either Foster or Harrison returns.

Hopefully Pollard will go on the injured list when Harrison gets healthy.

We've got fourteen guys with guaranteed contracts, so this year its a no-brainer.

Hicks
10-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Harrison > Edwards. Unless he's hurt, David is definitely not going to be stuck on the IR because of John freakin' Edwards.

Hicks
10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
As for the question, we either keep Edward because he's tall, or Holcomb because he deserves it.

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Harrison > Edwards. Unless he's hurt, David is definitely not going to be stuck on the IR because of John freakin' Edwards.

I'm assuming that, because he's sat out for while now, that he's not going to be in game shape for a little while. With Foster out and JO not playing until the regular season, and the fact that Pollard sucks, we'll need somebody healthy enough and in game shape to just run up and down the court.

I agree, once Harrison is ready to play, conditioning-wise, Edwards is gone.

Hicks
10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Harrison's already in shape; he spent the whole summer working out here and getting in the best shape of his life. I'm not saying he's anywhere near ready to play big minutes, but I saw plenty enough at the BSU game to know he should be out there before Edwards. Easily.

Kegboy
10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Harrison's gonna try to play Friday. In fact, he wanted to play last night, but overt caution prevailed. He'll start the season in uniform.

As I mentioned in UB's thread, I'm seriously crushing on Farmer right now, but that just ain't gonna happen. The idea of Wright making the team is to laugh.

If Edwards makes it, then something must be going on in practice that doesn't show in games.

Therefore, I've got to go with Holcomb. If it wasn't for the injuries, I'd say we leave the spot open, but as it is, Randy gets the spot.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Alright, but he hasn't played since then.

I've got a hard time believing he even knows what "game shape" is... ForEx, Tinsley's still trying to figure it out himself and he's in season #4.

With Foster out, with JO out of shape, and a heavy reliance on foul-prone Pollard, I've resigned myself to the fact that Edwards is going to be on the opening-day roster.

I'd rather agree with you, believe me. I just can't. Now if Harrison plays this weekend, I'll change my tune.

McKeyFan
10-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Can somebody explain the rationale behind keeping 14 as opposed to 15?

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 02:57 PM
The Pacers just laid off a few front office people.

NBA players are more expensive than front office people.

Its easy for us to say, "they're already paying $60 million in payroll, what's another $300k?" I took the front-office layoffs as a signal that the profit margin will be so slim this year that the $300k saved by only carrying 14 players might make a big difference to the bottom line.

There's also a case to be made for roster flexibility, in case of injuries. I'm not sure I buy into that one, because usually the guys on the IR don't have fully guaranteed deals so they can be cut - it doesn't get much more flexible than that.

Peck
10-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Because there is such a value placed on 7' plus players I have no doubt that if they keep 15 John Edwards will be on the team.

He shouldn't be. Randy Holcomb is light years ahead of him & is ready to play right now.

Edwards in a real game vs. real players would be 4 quick fouls & then to the bench he goes.

But I would almost suspect the Pacers will only keep 14 players so I doubt any of the free agents make the team.

Wright shouldn't make the team given the fact that we have Tins. A.J. & Gill.

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Team Happy with Campers,
but Little Room on Roster

By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 28, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By now, they've usually played their way off the team, those guys at the end of the roster fighting to realize the NBA dream.

Quite the opposite has been true in the Pacers' preseason. The four players with non-guaranteed contracts all have made a distinctly positive impression on the coaches and veteran players. Second-round pick Rashad Wright, free agent Randy Holcomb and undrafted rookies John Edwards and Desmon Farmer were the stars of the game on Wednesday night, when the Pacers whipped the Chicago Bulls 91-71 in a preseason game in Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I love 'em," said Stephen Jackson. "This is by far the greatest group of rookies I've been around. They're fun to be around, they're all hungry and they want to make this team and they all show everybody the respect that they want themselves. I love 'em. I wish them the best. If they don't make this team wish them well somewhere else, but they all became good friends of mine."

The last chance for these players to show their skills comes in the preseason finale Friday night against Denver in Conseco Fieldhouse. The final roster must be submitted Monday afternoon. The Pacers can keep 12 players on the active roster and three on the injured list. Fourteen players have guaranteed contracts, meaning there is no more than one spot available if that.

"It'll be tough to see some of these guys go," said Coach Rick Carlisle, "but they will leave here with a better understanding of what it takes to be a player in the NBA."

Holcomb, a 6-9 forward from San Diego State, had 12 points and eight rebounds in 23 minutes. Edwards, a 7-0 center from Kent State, scored 11 points and pulled five rebounds and held his own when matched up against Chicago starter Eddy Curry in the fourth quarter. Farmer scored 11 points in 23 minutes. Wright didn't produce much in the way of individual statistics but ran the team down the stretch when the game was put away.

"They play hard and they're non-stop and they're continually working on getting better," said Reggie Miller. "As you know from my 18 years here, I like to come here early and every time I come early they're either here 15-20 minutes before me or they're arriving at the same time to work on their game. And it's been non-stop.

"Coach Carlisle has kind of given me leeway on the road to take them with me to work early. They're willing to learn and it shows. All of them can play. Whether they make this team, probably not, but someone else is watching. I think all of them have a future in this league."

Atypical of players fighting for a job, this group of young players have largely eschewed going off on individual displays of their physical talents. When in games, they have not only played hard, but together. There is plenty of ball movement on offense and aggression on defense.

"They all have real good attitudes," said Austin Croshere. "Lots of times guys come in and they think they're better than the system and they don't want to do the rookie things. These guys have been real responsive with it. At about 2 o'clock in the morning when we got to Denver the other night we dropped them off about three blocks from the hotel and they all had a nice little jog. They're good sports and they're playing well."

Because of the lack of frontcourt depth starting center Jeff Foster will miss 6-8 weeks after undergoing hip surgery on Wednesday and backup David Harrison, a rookie, has been out with a sprained shoulder Edwards would appear to be the leading candidate to stick around. He had by far his most impressive game performance of the preseason against the Bulls.

"It was nice to get out there, play some extended minutes and show what I could do," Edwards said. "It's a process, but you've got to be ready for it. If you go out and play your hardest, good things are going to happen."

A late-bloomer who played one year of high school varsity basketball and walked on as a freshman at Kent State, Edwards was an All-MAC selection as a senior. He has demonstrated a nice touch around the basket and a willingness to work to polish his relatively raw game. Though cut day is looming, Edwards isn't allowing himself to look ahead.

"The only thing I'm worried about is the next practice," he said. "It's a day-by-day thing. That's how you've got to approach it. You can't get focused on the future. You have to take it a day at a time.

"I'm worried about showing people that day that I can play. I'm not looking ahead to anything. The only thing I'm looking ahead to is tomorrow."

Holcomb has had sampled the appetizers of NBA life, spending time with Philadelphia and Atlanta but never appearing in a regular-season game, but remains hungry for the main course.

"This one would mean more to me than the other situations," he said. "I was heartbroken in the other situations but I think I would be a little more heartbroken if I didn't make it for the simple fact this team has the chance to win a championship. I've never been a part of an all-out winning team that won a state championship or an NCAA championship or anything.

"This is a team that probably is going to be in the Finals and this is a team I really want to be a part of because of that. Who would want to miss out on the opportunity to win a ring with a bunch of good guys? This would be the ideal situation for a guy who's in my position."