PDA

View Full Version : South America

vnzla81
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I know that you guys are talking about NBA players going to Europe only but I'm pretty sure that many teams in South America are also waiting to sign some of this guys.

Tom White
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I know that you guys are talking about NBA players going to Europe only but I'm pretty sure that many teams in South America are also waiting to sign some of this guys.

It is interesting that I've never heard any of the players mention that as an option. Not even the ones who are from there. I wonder why?

ballism
11-01-2011, 03:01 PM
It is interesting that I've never heard any of the players mention that as an option. Not even the ones who are from there. I wonder why?

I think i heard Splitter to Brazil rumours, and Barea to Puerto Rico.
But idk, most of young South American guys end up in Spanish or Italian league at 15-16.
So probably they have a deeper connection with pro teams there.

But at least partly it's a money issue. A not so rich continent that's also completely crazed about soccer.
Like, I remember reading somewhere that Belize league has a 15k salary cap per team (for all players).
Obviously, Belize is not Argentina or Brazil, but you won't find such examples in Europe.

Kstat
11-01-2011, 03:37 PM
South America....where anybody with more than 10 dollars in their pocket gets kidnapped and held for ransom....NBA millionaires are going to go there?

I don't think so.

righteouscool
11-01-2011, 04:09 PM
South America....where anybody with more than 10 dollars in their pocket gets kidnapped and held for ransom....NBA millionaires are going to go there?

I don't think so.

Hmmm, this seems a bit ridiculous.

Kstat
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Hmmm, this seems a bit ridiculous.

A little, but there's a reason why nobody ever considered holding an olympics anywhere on the continent for 100 years...

It's not a safe place to be if you're (A) foreign of (B) have lots of money. Combining the two would be idiocy.

shags
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
A little, but there's a reason why nobody ever considered holding an olympics anywhere on the continent for 100 years...

Huh?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/sports/03olympics.html?pagewanted=all

ballism
11-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Huh?

i think he meant for 100 years till now

pacer4ever
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Huh?

not to mention how many world cups they have held.

vnzla81
11-01-2011, 05:09 PM

I don't think so.

The guy from Detroit is really saying this? :laugh: That has to be the reason why Big League players don't play in Venezuela anymore...... Oh wait they still do :rolleyes:

vnzla81
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
not to mention how many world cups they have held.

Yep, nobody cares to go to the olimpics there, world cup is bigger.

Kstat
11-01-2011, 06:03 PM
The guy from Detroit is really saying this?

Yes, because Detroit is well known for mass ransom kidnappings....

It's a moot point, because American NBA players are not going to South America. South American players don't even play there, if they have a choice.

pacer4ever
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Detroit is know for crime and robbery yes. You said it isn't safe if you have money in South America and the is just BS. It has bad areas like every place does but there are plenty of safe places in SA Argentina has plenty of people with money so does other places.

Kstat
11-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm not talking about Robbery, I'm talking about kidnapping.

Yes, there are plenty of wealthy people in South America, and they have to pay around the clock for security to keep it that way,

Roaming Gnome
11-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Let's move away from discussions on the city of Detroit... Nothing good is going to come of it like many times in the past here!

Kstat
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM
FYI, the most ransom kidnappings on earth happen in Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and Venezuela, in that order.

Gamble1
11-01-2011, 06:18 PM
FYI, the most ransom kidnappings on earth happen in Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and Venezuela, in that order.
I remembered that SA had alot but I didn't know it had the top 4...

NBA players will go where the money is and I would have to believe that Europe offers more money and stability than most places outside of the US.

DemonHunter1105
11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I remembered that SA had alot but I didn't know it had the top 4...

Mexico is NA btdub...

vnzla81
11-01-2011, 06:38 PM

It's a moot point, because American NBA players are not going to South America. South American players don't even play there, if they have a choice.

A lot of NBA American players have played in South America, from the top of my head I remember watching Anthony Mason,Stephen Jackson and many more players in the venezuelan league, yes the likes of Lebron and Kobe would never go there but bench players might go, like I said before, big league players that make way more than a lot of NBA Players play in the Venezuelan league during their off season.

vnzla81
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Agree, that doesn't mean that every person with 10k in their pocket it's getting kidnapped.

ballism
11-01-2011, 06:48 PM
South America....where anybody with more than 10 dollars in their pocket gets kidnapped and held for ransom....

Agree, that doesn't mean that every person with 10k in their pocket it's getting kidnapped.
10k in your pocket = you are likely getting kidnapped anywhere!
now, 10 dollars... that tougher... :)

MnvrChvy
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM

If you got 10k in your pocket I will kidnap you! Of course, if you happen to be 6'8" with a 7' wingspan I might have a bit of a time doing it.

Hicks
11-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Maybe I should have just deleted these posts from the lockout thread, but for better or worse I'm giving this a chance to live first.

Stryder
11-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, someone pointed it out above. Mexico is in North America. Duh.

BRushWithDeath
11-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm sure Chris Anderson would jump at the opportunity to play in Colombia.

cdash
11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm going to take a stab at it and say that zero people that have posted in this thread have actually been to South America (I carry on this tradition). That said, it isn't much of a stretch to say that it's probably the least safe continent to travel to if you are foreign and/or have lots of money.

Besides, I'm not sure the level of professional basketball in South America is much better than mid-major college ball in the US. Really, unless you are from there, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go play basketball there.

Kstat
11-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Wilson Ramos..major league pitcher...from Venezuala....kidnapped at gunpoint.

I really should take back the "foreign" part. If you have money, and the locals know you have money, you'd be insane to volunteer to play in many south American countries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/washington-nationals-catcher-wilson-ramos-kidnapped-in-venezuela/2011/11/09/gIQAS8tz6M_story.html

Pingu
11-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm sure Chris Anderson would jump at the opportunity to play in Colombia.

Unlike Brandon Rush?

Mackey_Rose
11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Unlike Brandon Rush?

Brandon Rush has never had any connection to the drug that Colombia is typically known for.

Gamble1
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm going to take a stab at it and say that zero people that have posted in this thread have actually been to South America (I carry on this tradition). That said, it isn't much of a stretch to say that it's probably the least safe continent to travel to if you are foreign and/or have lots of money.

Besides, I'm not sure the level of professional basketball in South America is much better than mid-major college ball in the US. Really, unless you are from there, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go play basketball there.
My brother served at an orphanage there for his work and they were not permitted to leave the compound that had barbed wire fencing all the way around concrete walls with armed guards. At night they had multiple guard dogs roam the property. The orphanage wasn't in a good town but this is still crazy to me.

cdash
11-10-2011, 03:14 PM
My brother served at an orphanage there for his work and they were not permitted to leave the compound that had barbed wire fencing all the way around concrete walls with armed guards. At night they had multiple guard dogs roam the property. The orphanage wasn't in a good town but this is still crazy to me.

Yeah, and you hear stuff like that all the time. Heavy security is necessary down there. It's sad, really. Makes me thankful I live where I do.

vnzla81
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM

I am from south america ;) Regarding the level of basketball, in Brazil and Argentina are pretty good leagues,I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Manu,Nene or Scola play in their countries this year, in venezuela in the 90's many players would go there before entering to the NBA(Anthony Mason, S Jackson and many others) the level of basketball was good back then, right now I don't really know how good it is.

Sparhawk
11-16-2011, 09:24 AM
My wife is from Barquisimeto, Ven. We just went there to visit her family in Sept. It's a pretty depressing place. Every home is like a walled off fortress with barbed wire or broken glass on top of the walled fences...even in the nice districts. I also found it rather funny that you do most of your shopping at the mall. Even the pharmacy and banks were at the mall.

I felt so bad for the Venezuelan people who have to live like they do cause of Chavez...the world's biggest douchebag.

The food is really good though. I did make the mistake of drinking the water at a very nice restaurant. Got pretty sick my final two days. Lesson here, even at the finest restaurant, order bottled water or drink alcohol.

Venezuela produces many quality baseball players (one of my favs being Martin Prado for my Atlanta Braves), but I didn't know they played much basketball. I think Greivas Vazquez is from Venezuela though.

vnzla81
11-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Wilson Ramos..major league pitcher...from Venezuala....kidnapped at gunpoint.

I really should take back the "foreign" part. If you have money, and the locals know you have money, you'd be insane to volunteer to play in many south American countries.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/washington-nationals-catcher-wilson-ramos-kidnapped-in-venezuela/2011/11/09/gIQAS8tz6M_story.html

Must of what you are saying here is true, the thing that people here don't know is that Wilson Ramos is from one of the worse areas in Valencia venezuela, where not even a guy like me(with no money) would go, ok I get it. he is from there but he should know better than going over there to visit his family, this to me is another example of "when keeping it real goes bad", again if you have money in venezuela, brazil and any other country in the world, you should know where to go and where not to go.

vnzla81
11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=Sparhawk;1297504]My wife is from Barquisimeto, Ven. We just went there to visit her family in Sept. It's a pretty depressing place. Every home is like a walled off fortress with barbed wire or broken glass on top of the walled fences...even in the nice districts.

Yep it's true about the houses but I would like to know why the place was depressing to you? I was there last year and I loved the city, the food, the people, everything was clean(unlike Caracas or Maracaibo)

I also found it rather funny that you do most of your shopping at the mall. Even the pharmacy and banks were at the mall.

Yes venezuelan people love malls :laugh: There is one in Maturin that is supossed to be the biggest Mall in south america, I've been there and it's huge.

I felt so bad for the Venezuelan people who have to live like they do cause of Chavez...the world's biggest douchebag.

Disagree here but I don't want to get into politics ;)

The food is really good though. I did make the mistake of drinking the water at a very nice restaurant. Got pretty sick my final two days. Lesson here, even at the finest restaurant, order bottled water or drink alcohol.

I did the same thing and was sick for ten straight days :(

Venezuela produces many quality baseball players (one of my favs being Martin Prado for my Atlanta Braves), but I didn't know they played much basketball. I think Greivas Vazquez is from Venezuela though.

Basketball was at one time the second best sport in venezuela, at this moment 'La vinotinto" (venezuelan soccer team knickname)has taken that place and yes Greivis Vasquez is from there :)

Mackey_Rose
11-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the response vnzla. I was able to read it before it got deleted.

vnzla81
11-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the response vnzla. I was able to read it before it got deleted.

No problem ;)

cdash
11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I actually kind of wish I could see those deleted posts. Anyone wanna PM me a little recap? I don't know much about the politics in Venezuela or South America in general. Appreciate it.

vnzla81
11-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Draft express Not weird. Budgets in South America are increasing exponentially RT @JuanEstevez90: Dexter Pittman signing in Argentina, weird? Nocioni too.

Told u :)