PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever thrown away something or trashed something that later tuned out to be valuable?

Peck
10-26-2011, 05:36 PM
In my life I've done some pretty dumb things and frankly when I was younger I played with my toys, I didn't keep them for collecting later.

I don't feel bad about the toys I beat to death because as a kid that is what I wanted to do with them.

This includes a G.I. Joe jeep with trailor. The photo is just a copy from the net, hell I think I actually set mine on fire at one point.

http://www.mysite4u.com/toys/gijoe/images/GI_Joe_Jeep_7000_with_Trailer&gun_jpg.jpg

But as a younger adult (way back when:() I just did not understand that things would be valuable in the future even if they weren't right there and then.

I wish someone would have gotten ahold of me and beat some sense into me in the early 90's. By that time CD's were all the rage and records had been all but phased out.

So in my infinite wisdom I proceeded to grab all of my albums that I had (well in excess of 200) and pitch them in the trash along with about 100 45's.

Now a lot of them were not going to be worth anything but I had several Beatle's albums including the white album that had the band covered in meat on the insde cover.

All of my albums were in perfect shape as a friend of mine worked at a music store and he would give me the cleaning rags for free.

I recently went to an auction where crappy old stack of albums went for over 200. The list of artist were such gems as Porter Wagnor, Box Car Willie, Vixen and Styper. :banghead:

Has anyone else done anything like this that they now regret?

Bball
10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
But if everyone saved their stuff it wouldn't be so rare and worth as much. In fact, you helped those albums become more rare by tossing your's. ;)

On a related note I've heard that eBay has actually driven prices down on a lot of collectibles because things that were thought rare pop up on there enough to show they aren't as rare as once believed.

RWB
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Sure, when I was first married the Mrs. and I bought a fixer upper house and were constantly remodeling. Tore out the lathe walls and found some tobacco baseball cards in the wall cavity. That house was built around 1910 so I suspect they had to be around that age. Anyway, I gave them away to a guy who's kid collected cards figuring maybe he would enjoy them. Guess they might have been worth something.

jeffg-body
10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
When I went into the military my mom sold my car for 50$. It was a 1972 Nova SS with no rust, factory console and floor shifter. I saw the car later with a guy that lived in the neighborhood driving what was my car with a new paint job.

BRushWithDeath
10-27-2011, 03:45 PM
My grandfather had a baseball signed by Babe Ruth. He let my brother and I play with it as kids. Now you can just barely make out the signature.

He also let us play with an ABA ball signed by Wilt Chamberlain from when he coached the San Diego Conquistadors. Fortunately, that signature wasn't ruined. His signature, much like the man, was enormous.

imawhat
10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I think I saw you on the Sandlot.

Gamble1
10-28-2011, 10:34 AM
The extended family has a house up in Michigan filled with antiques and when I was young I grabbed a cane sword with an ivory handle and beat the crap out of everything with it eventually breaking the sword handle. Don't tell anyone geezer.

indygeezer
10-28-2011, 04:38 PM
The extended family has a house up in Michigan filled with antiques and when I was young I grabbed a cane sword with an ivory handle and beat the crap out of everything with it eventually breaking the sword handle. Don't tell anyone geezer.

The thing is in one piece but the ivory knob is broken. That's ok Gamble, when your step-dad and I were videotaping the place we broke a piece of Haviland china....don't tell anyone Gamble1.

As an early teen I had a complete set of Mercury Head dimes along with incomplete other coins. I traded coins with a buddy from time to time. One weekend someone got into the house and stole the set of dimes. That was the only thing taken. Hmm now I wonder who coulda known about that being there???

Gamble1
10-28-2011, 07:28 PM
The thing is in one piece but the ivory knob is broken. That's ok Gamble, when your step-dad and I were videotaping the place we broke a piece of Haviland china....don't tell anyone Gamble1.

As an early teen I had a complete set of Mercury Head dimes along with incomplete other coins. I traded coins with a buddy from time to time. One weekend someone got into the house and stole the set of dimes. That was the only thing taken. Hmm now I wonder who coulda known about that being there???
Oh I am sure there's been tons of stuff broken at that house. Just look at the barn..

I had a same thing happen to me but it was bball cards. 2 rookie pippen cards lost because my friend had sticky fingers.

Peck
10-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Ok this isn't throwing something away but this is just as dumb if not even dumber.

In the fall of 1981 I was 14 years old and my great aunt had left me a silver dollar collection. She left me $10.00 worth, which to me at the time seemed like a joke. Of course being 14 I had no idea that even though she only left me 10 dollars they were actually made of silver and worth much much more.

Well I was short on cash for the week and so I decided to take my money and go buy Escape by Journey.

So in essence I screwed myself twice there. Once in spending probably 2-3 hundred dollars in Silver for a 7 dollar record and then later for just throwing that record in the trash.

Lord help me but I'm just not that bright.

Gamble1
10-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Oh I am sure there's been tons of stuff broken at that house. Just look at the barn..

I had a same thing happen to me but it was bball cards. 2 rookie pippen cards lost because my friend had sticky fingers.

Bball
10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok this isn't throwing something away but this is just as dumb if not even dumber.

In the fall of 1981 I was 14 years old and my great aunt had left me a silver dollar collection. She left me $10.00 worth, which to me at the time seemed like a joke. Of course being 14 I had no idea that even though she only left me 10 dollars they were actually made of silver and worth much much more.

Well I was short on cash for the week and so I decided to take my money and go buy Escape by Journey.

So in essence I screwed myself twice there. Once in spending probably 2-3 hundred dollars in Silver for a 7 dollar record and then later for just throwing that record in the trash.

Lord help me but I'm just not that bright.

OK... With the other story I tried to point out that if people didn't throw things away then their value wouldn't sky rocket due to rarity. IOW, you didn't do anything that other people didn't do... What you did was the common thing. So it really wasn't all that dumb.

But you'll notice I have no such comment here about spending silver at face value for a $7.00 album.

:zip:
;)

Tom White
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Now a lot of them were not going to be worth anything but I had several Beatle's albums including the white album that had the band covered in meat on the insde cover.

Are you sure you don't mean the alternate cover of the "yesterday and Today" album? That was the one with the parts of baby dolls and slabs of meat from a butcher. If I remember correctly, it seems that was a way of protesting war on their part.

The "White Album" was the double album simply titled "The Beatles" which came with a poster and four individual pictures of the guys and such. It only had small pictures of each Beatle on the inside cover.

By the way, I still have ALL the old Beatles LPs and singles including Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You which was released on Tollie records, as well as the single From Me To You/Please, Please Me which was on VeeJay records. Those were two small record labels that took advantage of Capitol Records short-sightedness with regards to The Beatles at that time.

PaceBalls
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I gave away my Magic The Gathering first edition collection when I stopped playing it a year or so after it came out.

:vaderno:

Lord Helmet
11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I can't recall doing anything like this, but I remember when we needed some extra cash, my Dad (who is a vintage guitar collector) ended up selling one (don't remember what kind) that ended up doubling in value a few years later.

beast23
11-14-2011, 09:53 PM
I just had to respond to this.

I have a bad story... and I have a good story.

My two older brothers and I were pretty decent baseball players. Due to our little league activities and bartering abilities, we acquired thousands, yes really... thousands.... of baseball cards ranging in age from late 40s to mid 60s. We had them all... rookie cards, all-star cards, team cards, mvp cards, etc. from just about every manufacturer you could imagine.

My oldest brother even invented a fantasy game where we would draft teams and play them against each other. Mays, Banks, Mantle, Drysdale, Kaline, Ford, .... we had them all.

As each of us grew older and went on to college, all of these cards existed in our closets in old LS Ayres Christmas boxes. Between us, we must have had 40-50 boxes full of cards. As time went by, and fantasy games were laid to rest, these cards acquired a home in a rather small attic of our home. As more time went by, and my folks undertook their annual ritual of a full house-cleaning... these cards were eventually discarded by my folks.

Probably no different than so many of you encountered, right?

Now for the good story.

When I was young I also had two paper routes and a close family friend that owned several barber shops. From my route money, my mom would always bring home a bag of pennies for me to search through for the good dates each week when she went to the bank. Our family friend always collected his change from all of his gum and pop machines and would bring it to me to search through and wrap in coin holders.

As you might imagine, this resulted in my having an exceptional coin collection, especially for pennies.

But, one thing that I did do when I had the paper route, at my dad's urging, was to use all of my money and purchase two bags of uncirculated 1964 quarters right before they were going to quit minting higher content silver coins. They were easy to obtain; I just went the local AFNB and they had the bags right there for the exchange; I didn't even have to pay a premium. My dad then took the quarters and put them into one of his safety deposit boxes.

It's been a long time ago, but I believe it was New Year's eve at the end of 1979 that a conversation came up at my folks house about the Hunt Brothers and silver speculation. My dad looked at me and asked me what I had done with all of those quarters I had acquired so many years before. Of course, the first words out of my mouth were "Holy ?hit", I thought you were holding them for me... I had forgotten all about them. At the time, silver was trading above 40x face value. So, basically each quarter was worth more than $10 in silver content alone. About an hour later, my dad started handing me an envelope every few minutes, each containing a rather sizable check. He was financially astute, and had heard that banking regulations would soon be changed that might cause a collapse in the silver speculation market created by the Hunts.

At the end of the evening, I think I had over 20 envelopes. But the bottom line is, do the match. I was 27 years old, and found myself sitting on a substantial sum of money, all because my dad did my a favor and sold every last quarter I had.

Not only did dad make the exchanges for me, but he did it in small quantities all over town. At the time, proper paperwork didn't even exist to be filled out by speculators, so no federal forms were generated for anything.

Our entire family had a very nice Christmas that year. My wife and I were able to purchase a new house and pretty much fully fund a college fund for our 3-year old son and 1-year old daughter.

So, although dad really disappointed me with his superior housecleaning skills, he came through and saved my bacon on something that has remained so much more important to our family through the years.

vnzla81
11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes my ex girlfriend, I broke up with her long time ago and now she got her "two personalities" fixed and she looks amazing :burn: :cry:

SoupIsGood
11-19-2011, 01:19 AM
My brother once held his brand-new platinum charizard card against the wall, and it slipped from his hand and fell perfectly into the crack between the wall and the wooden frame. It's still in there. Not sure how much real-world value it had, but he was really excited about it.

CableKC
11-20-2011, 01:08 AM
I threw ( or gave ) away ( don't remember which ) a Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee Rookie Card.

Before you question why....I was 6-7 years old....I had no clue what the value of $$$ was.....much less how to take care of collectible cards....and ( despite living in Toronto, Canada ) I didn't really have any clue who Wayne Gretzky was.