PDA

View Full Version : My report from the Bulls v Pacers game

Unclebuck
10-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Are these preseason games over yet?

Luckily no one got hurt tonight.

Let me start with Eddie Gill. He wears number 4, so some might say he looks like Travis Best. (what, Pacers did not retire Best's jersey). Gill is very short, but he is capable of doing a lot of things. he is not that much of a scorer, but he looks like an NBA point guard. I would use the term adequate to describe him. he does nothing that well, but he has no glaring weaknesses.

I said this last week and I'll say it again, I like Holcomb. He has a knack for scoring and he just looks good out there. To me he looks like the best of the free agents, of course he is a small forward and we have about 5 of those.

I always find the huddles interesting. First the coaches huddle, and I am not sure if it is just because it is preseason but when the coaches huddled tonight it appeared they did not say a word to each other. Then when they go talk to the players, Mike Borwn is kneeling right next to Carlisle while Kevin O'Neill is standing up a bit removed. Found that interesting.

SJ was sure jacking up some shots tonight, a few too many for my liking and I think that is why Rick took him out early in the 3rd quarter.

James Jones can sure shoot the basketball

Fred Jones played qqite a bit of point guard and I thought he did well. He can certainly run the pick and roll and did not have any trouble geting the ball into the offense, of course he was not playing against the Pistons tonight

The Bulls were horrible, their first half looked more like a summer pickup game.

That is about all I have right now

Lord Helmet
10-27-2004, 11:58 PM
"The Bulls were horrible, their first half looked more like a summer pickup game."

Nothing new :laugh:

Unclebuck
10-28-2004, 12:04 AM
"The Bulls were horrible, their first half looked more like a summer pickup game."

Nothing new :laugh:

I suppose I should have said the Bulls appeared to be in midseason form

Anthem
10-28-2004, 12:05 AM
UncleBuck, with AJ out, who would you prefer to get backup PG minutes behind Tinsley? Gill or Freddy?

I take it we're all assuming Wright is getting cut.

Unclebuck
10-28-2004, 12:09 AM
UncleBuck, with AJ out, who would you prefer to get backup PG minutes behind Tinsley? Gill or Freddy?

I take it we're all assuming Wright is getting cut.

I hate to waffle on this. But I have to. it would depend on the matchups. Gill might be too short to defend some of the point guards, so Freddie might come in handy. But then there might be times when the pacers need more of a pure point guard to get them into the offense a little quicker and in those situations Eddie is needed.

I suppose I would like to see Fred get more minutes as the backup point guard overall. .

tora tora
10-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Was this game on television tonight? If so, what channel?

skyfire
10-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Did Nocioni for the Bulls just have a shocker? I saw a preseason match between the Bulls and Celtics and he was on fire and grabbing boards all over the place. When I first checked the box scores and saw he went 0/8 from the field I thought Ron must have been all over him, but then I looked down to see that Ronny wasn't playing.

TheSauceMaster
10-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Was this game on television tonight? If so, what channel?

Only on League Pass as far I know , I mean I listen to the game on WIBC and about fell asleep , you see we won by what 20 ?

The Denver game I believe is on Fox Sports Midwest Friday :cool:

Peck
10-28-2004, 01:31 AM
I'll just add my game report here as well.

The good.

Austin Croshere played a good solid basketball game. He was solid on the boards & he played very physical on defense. Something I noticed during the third quarter was that Austin was initiating the offense from the high post. Kind of a point powerforward thing (if there is such a thing). His stat's won't jump out at you & his field goal % is not what we are looking for but in his time on the floor he equaled Fosters production.

Randy Holcomb. Again I come before you with the Uncle Buck echo syndrome. In other words I agree this kid can play. If we choose to keep one of these free agents I beg the team please, for the love of God, keep Holcomb. Now where I disagree with U.B. is that Ray is NOT (IMO) a small forward. This guy is a powerforward & a third string backup center you can use if you go small. This guy plays taller than he is & he is strong. Plus he plays physical which is something we always need. He had one hell of a blocked shot within a few min. of entering the game.

Fred Jones. I don't like him at the point, but in emergency situation like we had last night I could see using him. Having said that I thought he did play a much more inspired game than the other night.

Jackson. Shot a little early in the rotation a couple of times for my taste, but his ability to shoot cannot be denied. I like this guy. I love his interaction with his team mates. When he left the game tonight he came back onto the floor to slap hands with guys who we all know have zero chance of making the team. I thought it was classy for him to do this.

The bad.

To Many damn three's!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

18 three point shots is just to many. Chicago shot more, but that is why they lose so much. Our offense, IMO, needs some refinement. However benefit of the doubt here must be given. Most of the time players who are on the floor for us will not be big time players this up coming season.

Scot Pollard. One step forward three steps back. For as good as he looked in that first game he was that bad last night. When I saw Eddy Curry back Scot down like he wasn't even there I :shudder: at the thought of Shaq.

BTW, for the record, I am deeply disapointed with Curry. In all honesty there is no reason this guy is not tearing up the league right now. He is big enough & strong enough to do it. If he would work as hard on defense & reboudning as he did his low post scoring he would be an all-star right now.

The ugly.

When Tyson Chandler fell he literally shook the floor. The kid is injury prone, but that is just an honet accident. He hit hard & I would not be suprised to see him with some form of hip or coccyx damage. Other than that can you beleive they traded this guy for Elton Brand? What the hell am I saying I can't beleive we traded Scot Pollard for Brad Miller so we have no room to talk.

All in all I am ready for the real season, as I am sick of seeing people who I know won't be anywhere near the team in 2 weeks from now.

:pray:Please God don't them keep John Edwards.

Suaveness
10-28-2004, 01:35 AM
You didn't like Edwards? I thought he wasn't too bad. Though I didn't watch too much of the game.

And I really really do like Holcomb. He looked great, as did JJ.

Jose Slaughter
10-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Has Reggie been more aggressive on the offensive end, like he said he was going to be? It's hard to tell by his line & minutes played.

Suaveness
10-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Well he certainly isn't missing many shots

owl
10-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Peck, In an article in the Star Pollard said he was
playing very easy to avoid any injuries. At least that is what he claimed. I am ready for the regular season as this pre-season junk is boring and waaay
overdone.

owl

grace
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
You didn't like Edwards? I thought he wasn't too bad. Though I didn't watch too much of the game.

He certainly played better than he did last week, but you've got to take into consideration the high school team we were playing against.;)

ChicagoJ
10-28-2004, 09:39 AM
This is the start of my fifth season living in Chicago - and this is easily the least enthusiasm I've heard regarding the Bulls, period.

It appears the franchise is going nowhere under Paxson, either. Ben Gordon better get his act together, quickly. He's been awful.

They might not make the NCAA tourney with this year's team.

For everyone that thinks Bender is fragile, I present you Tyson's Chicken: he makes Bender look like Cal Ripken.

Peck
10-28-2004, 09:57 AM
In all fairness to Chandler he took a bad fall. If he is injured it's not because he's more or less fragile than anybody else. Anybody would be hurt from that fall.

But other than that, your right the guy is as bad as Bender.

Peck
10-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Peck, In an article in the Star Pollard said he was
playing very easy to avoid any injuries. At least that is what he claimed. I am ready for the regular season as this pre-season junk is boring and waaay
overdone.

owl

Brother Owl,

Always good to see you. Yea, I saw that & I guess it is possible. We'll have to see how he does in the regular season.

Ragnar
10-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I am with Peck and Ub on the Holcomb bandwagon. If nothing else this kid can hit an open running player for an easy score like no one else. He looked like John Stockton out there with some of his passes. (and you all know how important I consider good passing)

Gill did well I thought and Freddie pulled his own.

The bulls looked really bad but part of that was that even with the bench in for the Pacers they played the game the way it is suposed to be played. We are well coached and this year should be even better than last year because the players know the sets even better.

Kegboy
10-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I wish the people saying Freddie should play point instead of Gill had seen this game. I find it funny that people have been ripping Gill and have never seen him play.

Maybe the #4 reminds people of Travis, but his stature reminds me of Tyus Edney. Or, more specifically, Tyus Edney with PG skills. He's gonna be just fine. Sure would be nice if he had a late growth spurt, though.

As for Fred, I've long been a combo-guard theorist, but he just struck me as too heavy to play the point, and that's after he lost 10 lbs this summer. For those who say AJ is slow and plodding, you need to see Fred bring the ball up. He did fine in the halfcourt, but looked very uncomfortable in transition. If we'd been playing a mediocre college team they would have pressed and completely taken over the game. But, sadly, we were only playing the Bulls.

Speaking of which, Oh My God are they awful. Nocioni looks like the lastest Euro bust. And thank god Paxson didn't bite on the Al-for-#3 trade. I'd much rather have Sax than Gordon.

The only good thing for them was Curry was killing Pollard. I'm relieved he's admitted he took last night off, cause he looked bad. But then, he still looked better than last year. :shrug:

This is easily the best bunch of FA's I've ever seen us have. They were beating Chicago's starters in the 4th quarter. Holcomb took Curry out of the game completely. Peck's right, he's a power player who should be in the post.

I tell you, someone we've never heard anything about is Desmond Farmer. Tonight's the first time I've seen him, and I absolutely fell in love with the kid. He looks a lot like Mercer, except he's got speed, consistent range, and a killer handle (MUCH better than Freddie's). Too bad he's got no shot of making our roster. Not only should he be in the NBA, he NEEDS to be in the NBA.

Yeah, Edwards had a nice game, but it wasn't against Curry (Holcomb had him.) I still think he'd be a waste of a roster spot. Wright is pretty worthless, too. In a perfect world, we'd keep Farmer, but that's not gonna happen, so if we keep anyone, it better be Holcomb. At worst he'll be a good practice player.

That's about it. As Peck pointed out, Austin has looked very good the last couple games. Hopefully he'll keep it up.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Burt_Reincarnated
10-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Why didn't Ron play? They worried about him gettin hurt too? Was there something else that happened like he miss a practice? I thought he would have a huge game and he didnt even play.

SoupIsGood
10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
So the two impressive free agents are Holcomb and Farmer? I hope we sign one of them, rather than someone with size but no talent.

Unclebuck
10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
John Edwards does have some skills, but he seems very soft to me. Were it my decision I would keep Holcomb for sure and cut Edwards.

Peck, I am interested in your thoughts abut Gill, you did not mention him.

Gill to me is very solid.

Unclebuck
10-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Sorry about the double post.

Let me see if I can come up with something coherent to say.

Anyone else concerned abut the low attendance at the preseason games. I know there is very little walkup and no 10 game tickets, but preseason games tell us how many full and half season tickets have been sold.

Anyone else se the lively discussion between Pollrd and Carlisle in the 3rd quarter. Pollard was yanked from the game, Mike Brown had to calm him down a little

Peck
10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
John Edwards does have some skills, but he seems very soft to me. Were it my decision I would keep Holcomb for sure and cut Edwards.

Peck, I am interested in your thoughts abut Gill, you did not mention him.

Gill to me is very solid.

I was neither excited nor disappointed.

In other words he's the third string p.g. who will be elevated to the backup p.g. to start the season.

He seemed solid. I'm not afraid of him running the point for periods of time. I would have been interested to see how he did though on defense against Heinrich.

Kegboy
10-28-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm not concerned about the crowds. The crowd was good last week. The problem this week is you're going to get very few people going to 3 preseason games in 4 days. I wouldn't be surprised if most everyone only went to 1, or at best 2. Considering tomorrow is a Friday game, I expect the crowd to be decent.

PS&E has already announced a mild increase in season ticket sales, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.