PDA

View Full Version : Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

cdash
08-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Hate to copy off the PU guy, but it is time to start a new thread for the new season.

Keep hearing good things about Kevin Wilson and the mentality he has brought to the Hoosier football program. I don't expect more than 3-5 wins this year, but I am very excited about the direction our football program has taken.

Trader Joe
08-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Normally we just make a basketball thread anyway. :shrug:

Constellations
08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
It's ok, IU is better anyway. :laugh:

cdash
08-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Normally we just make a basketball thread anyway. :shrug:

Yeah but we do discuss football in there too. Oh well, if we want to make a new one come basketball season that's fine by me.

Trader Joe
08-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Nah, we can talk about all our other national powerhouse teams as well like soccer and swimming. It's so nice to have a school with national titles in multiple sports.

ECKrueger
08-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Ha you had to copy me :D Oh, and we have women's golf, take that.

Trader Joe
08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Perea and Yogi are flying up ranking boards. Very nice to see. I think Mr. Basketball is Yogi's to lose this year.

Since86
08-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Anyone going to the Ball St/IU game at Lucas? I haven't decided yet. Not sure if I want to make the hour drive to watch two horrible teams see which one is less worse. Maybe if it was later in the season, but it being the first game of the season is gonna mean a sloppy game.

Trader Joe
08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm going...I'll also probably be drunk.

pacer4ever
08-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Gunner Kiel is on ESPNU tonight just starting

he is #2 in the nation at QB they said they kid from FL state past him. But he still has time to regain the #1 ranking

cdash
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Gunner Kiel is on ESPN2 tonight just starting

he is #2 in the nation at QB they said they kid from FL state past him. But he still has time to regain the #1 ranking

I honestly don't give a **** if he's #1, #2, or #6. He's still a monumental upgrade over what we have.

pacer4ever
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
I honestly don't give a **** if he's #1, #2, or #6. He's still a monumental upgrade over what we have.

did u just see that throw?? 63 yard pass first play of the game for Gunner a perfect throw about 35 yards in the air a bullet.

cdash
08-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Nah I missed it, just tuned into the game, didn't even know I had ESPNU.

pacer4ever
08-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Nah I missed it, just tuned into the game, didn't even know I had ESPNU.

now I know why he dropped in the rankings he went 4-17 and 44 yards last week.

So far tonight he is 2-2 for 140 yards LOL

The kid has a gun that last throw just looked easy for him

I love ESPNU I don't know I would do without ESPNU and ESPN3

Warren versus Cathedral should be a great game tomorrow on ESPN3

Trader Joe
08-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah he dropped in ESPN's ranking...big freaking deal.

pacer4ever
08-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Kevin Davis WR just iced the game Warren wins and the IU recruit made the big play to close it out. Kevin will be really good when he gets a QB worth a damn I feel bad for him because at Warren all we do is run the ball. But he is putting up #s 10 catches 300 yards on the season.

Pacersalltheway10
08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Perea and Yogi are flying up ranking boards. Very nice to see. I think Mr. Basketball is Yogi's to lose this year.

Don't forget about Kellen Dunham.

Trader Joe
08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Don't forget about Kellen Dunham.

I'm not? He won't be in the conversation.

Trader Joe
08-29-2011, 10:10 AM
And I don't mean that to come off flippant, but look at all the other talent in the state. He's just barely in the top 100 nationally, it would take a truly unbelievable season for that to happen.

Yogi has the inside line, because he is a point guard and his team is probably going to roll to a state championship.

Since86
08-29-2011, 11:13 AM

He dropped because of the Elite 11 camp, where he was put head-to-head with the other top prospects.

You guys had to know it was coming. A #1 QB that plays Indiana HS football? What a long shot.

Trader Joe
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
:shrug: He's still the number 1 QB at several other sites. ESPN is not the end all, be all of recruiting, in fact they are one of the worst.

Since86
08-29-2011, 11:48 AM
And how do sites put together their rankings? He doesn't play any good competition. Certainly not the level of comp he would find if he was in Florida or Texas, or Alabama etc.

I'm not saying he's bad, I'm saying he gets an elevated status when he's playing a bunch of Jr high teams, compared to the rest of the country. And yes, I'm fully aware of Warren Central.

He went to the Elite 11 camp, and didn't even make the finals. That's with a level playing field, and actually having to show what you're made of.

If he would have cemented his status as the #1 QB recruit, I'm sure you guys would have used it in your favor.

I'm not trying to poo-poo on the parade. I just remember all the talk about how Coach Lynch was supposed to keep Hep's momentum going and how IU football was going to turn around, yadda yadda yadda.

Which is pretty much the same argument we had involving basketball. IU fans are sure quick to place the crown on a recruits head, long before they ever step foot on campus.

EDIT: And I've seen players rankings, whether it be football or basketball, jump up or down depending on their choice of school.

Magically, a 3star recruit turns into a 4star recruit because they sign with a Big 10 team. And magically, a 3star recruit turns into a 2star recruit because they sign with a MAC school.

It's just a crap shoot. So many HSlers to pick from, so little coverage, and too much biasness to take seriously.

Bball
08-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I think most people knew Lynch was NOT going to be able to sustain ANY momentum and was a mistake from day 1. If not 'most' people then I'm sure it was a substantially large number.

You might argue that Lynch deserved the shot because he was Hep's pick and 2nd in command... but the odds were against him. He just wasn't that solid of a coach.

Since86
08-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe for you, being removed from campus, but I'm recalling a different story on here and from my friends at IU through facebook and face-to-face conversations and me trying to pass on some knowledge about Lynch's tenure at BSU.

But most of the responses were "Yeah, at BSU he might have sucked because they aren't Big10 blah blah blah."

Trader Joe
08-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know Since, I don't know anyone who had faith in Lynch. Losing Hepp was a blow that we may never fully know the stretch of. As far as our QB next year, Alabama and Oklahoma wanted Gunner BAD, that says a lot more than any ranking.

cdash
08-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Nobody ever had any faith in Lynch whatsoever. I was on campus at the time and everyone knew exactly how that was going to play out.

cdash
08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
And I don't mean that to come off flippant, but look at all the other talent in the state. He's just barely in the top 100 nationally, it would take a truly unbelievable season for that to happen.

Yogi has the inside line, because he is a point guard and his team is probably going to roll to a state championship.

I agree that Dunham has almost no shot at Mr. Basketball, and that is not an indictment on him. The state is loaded with talented players, and argue it all you want, but usually guys get a spike in the voting when they are committed to IU. Not a huge spike, but it certainly helps.

I'm with you--I think Yogi and Gary Harris are the two frontrunners for Mr. Basketball. I don't think Yogi and Park Tudor will roll to a state title though. Remember, Broad Ripple is now a 2A school and in Park Tudor's sectional. They are nothing to sneeze at.

Trader Joe
08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
With Yogi and Blueitt PT will roll 2A. Book it.

cdash
08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
With Yogi and Blueitt PT will roll 2A. Book it.

I'm not saying they won't and they are certainly the heavy favorites to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Broad Ripple tripped them up in sectionals.

Since86
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Nobody ever had any faith in Lynch whatsoever. I was on campus at the time and everyone knew exactly how that was going to play out.

We had discussions about it, on this very site. I remember thinking it was crazy talk, because I had witnessed Bill Lynch destroy a program and that was my entire argument.

If he couldn't keep a MAC program afloat, there was no way he could be expected to keep a Big10 program going.

I remember the discussions that were going on at the Ball State forum I frequent,

If no one had faith in Coach Lynch, then why did he get a contract? They gave him 3 years. It's not like they put him in for a replacement until they found someone better. They thought he could do the job, which is why they gave him the job.

And as far as Bama and them wanting Gunner. Kelly Page, a BSU QB, was also an Oregon Duck at one time. He lost his spot to a true freshman, when he was a Jr. Recruiting is a gamble. Big programs make mistakes too.

That Finch kid a couple years ago was recruited, and played for, Florida. That didn't work out for him very well either.

EDIT: And I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying you should atleast wait to crown him.

Since86
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm not saying they won't and they are certainly the heavy favorites to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Broad Ripple tripped them up in sectionals.

Bowman Academy is now considered a 2A as well. They're a charter school from Gary, and they recruit basketball players heavily.

They won the 1A state finals two years ago, and were probably the best team in the state. Certainly one of the best.

Trader Joe
08-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I think you're being a little unfair saying we're crowning him. Just my opinion though. I think he's a great sign of Wilson's early influence, and that is hugely important.

Since86
08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
No doubt there.

And I really don't doubt Wilson as a coach or even as a recruiter. Although I do doubt him as a coach/recruiter for IU. I just don't see IU moving up in the conference. Not until Indiana's high school football programs start taking off.

That's not an anti-IU or anti-Wilson thought either. I think Ball St. and Purdue are behind the same 8ball.

Any kid that's any good around here is going to have all kinds of pressure from OSU/Mich/ND. With a wider talent base in the state, you can afford giving up a few kids to the established programs, or the ones with the rich history. But when your talent pool is already thin, you can't really afford to let them slip away. Not the kids growing up IU/Purdue/Ball St fans.

We live in a time where coaches get two or three years tops to turn around a program before he's shown the door. And if he does he's got two or three years before another program swoops in and takes him away.

It was only three years ago when Ball St was undefeated and ranked. Coach Hoke didn't get the commitment level, so he went to SDSU for two years and now he's at Michigan. That's a pretty fast climb to the top.

All BSU has done in the meantime is win a measely 6 games total.

As hard as it is to build, it's 10x as easy to be torn down.

The Big East keeps trying, but that whole conference is in the same boat. All just my uneducated opinion though.

Trader Joe
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
The bottom line is even becoming a yearly 7-5 time and getting to bowls is a massive imporvement for me as an IU fan.

Ownagedood
08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

They probably dropped him down the second he picked lowly IU. ;)

...No respect. But who cares, hes a beast and we got em! :dance:

Heisenberg
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Gary Harris visiting October 15th, it's the second of his 3 scheduled visits

obnoxiousmodesty
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Do you guys think Hoosier Hysteria should be moved to Saturday night in order to accommodate Gary Harris? It seems a rather ingenious idea to me. One, Harris can then attend (he plays football so Friday is out); and two, IU will have obviously moved a major annual event for him, so that's something.

Nothing's confirmed, of course. Still, moving Hoosier Hysteria for one player? Yes, no, maybe?

Heisenberg
09-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Pretty sure HH is already on Saturday, think I read so on InsideTheHall.com anyway.

cdash
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Pretty sure HH is already on Saturday, think I read so on InsideTheHall.com anyway.

It was scheduled to be on Friday, but they moved it to Saturday, presumably for GH.

All of our 2012 class will be on campus that weekend, as well as GH and RJ Curington. That will be a hell of an atmosphere.

cdash
09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Do you guys think Hoosier Hysteria should be moved to Saturday night in order to accommodate Gary Harris? It seems a rather ingenious idea to me. One, Harris can then attend (he plays football so Friday is out); and two, IU will have obviously moved a major annual event for him, so that's something.

Nothing's confirmed, of course. Still, moving Hoosier Hysteria for one player? Yes, no, maybe?

I have no problem with it. At all. Don't know why anyone would.

Since86
09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6913620/the-rise-indiana-football

Too long of an article to format.

cdash
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah I read that. It's neat that there is some buzz around IU football for the first time that I can really remember. I don't expect much out of this year's team. 4-5 wins and avoid any embarrassments would be a success as far as I'm concerned.

Since86
09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't know how much buzz there actually is though. I saw on twitter that IU only sold 6,000 tickets to the IU/Ball St game at Lucas tomorrow.

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but Ball St sold 25,000 for comparison.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20110901/SPORTS/109010358/-1/7daysarchives/BSU-reaches-25-000-tickets

That link says IU sold 6,100 (as of tuesday 8/30) but also says that they're included in the 25,000. So maybe BSU has sold 19,000 to IU's 6,000.

Either way, it has to be pretty disappointing.

cdash
09-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't know how much buzz there actually is though. I saw on twitter that IU only sold 6,000 tickets to the IU/Ball St game at Lucas tomorrow.

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but Ball St sold 25,000 for comparison.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20110901/SPORTS/109010358/-1/7daysarchives/BSU-reaches-25-000-tickets

That link says IU sold 6,100 (as of tuesday 8/30) but also says that they're included in the 25,000. So maybe BSU has sold 19,000 to IU's 6,000.

Either way, it has to be pretty disappointing.

I strongly doubt the validity of those numbers. I think you just like to come here and **** in our Cheerios to be perfectly honest.

Since86
09-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Kravitz is the one who tweeted the 6,000 number earlier today. If you don't want to believe it, then that's fine.

I've been around IU enough to know that the actual football game takes a backseat to tailgating. And that's not just an IU problem, but a problem for Ball St. as well, considering we were last in attendance last season.

But if you would like to take everything personal, then that's your right I guess.

EDIT: And maybe IU sold a bunch the last 3 days, or maybe people are waiting for gameday to buy them.

But with the numbers being reported, that I have NO control over, I don't think IU has all that much buzz around their team.

The low ticket sales took me by surprise. I've been hearing nothing but positives from Bloomington. I figured they would sell more tickets with a new coach, playing in Lucas Oil, and the fact that IU will probably win.

I didn't think I said anything opinion based. It was more a statement about what is being reported.

And I said it during the entire "blue chip" argument. I'm an IU fan. Ball St. is #1 for me, but I will always root for an in state school over an out of state school. And I am a huge fan of Coach Knight.

Heisenberg
09-02-2011, 11:15 PM
My buddy tried getting tix today and couldn't. Maybe he's an idiot (strong possibility), but seems like someone bought a bunch of tix in the last day o rso.

Ozwalt72
09-03-2011, 06:28 PM
A couple things:

First, Indiana High School football talent has been on the rise, especially in the Indy area. A LOT more division one level talent this year than it was five years ago. No, it's not Ohio, but its a solid base to recruit from. Of course you have to compete with Cincy, who has been recruiting Indianapolis hard the last several years, Louisville, Notre Dame and the other Big 10 schools.

Coach Wilson currently has a class ranked 34 (6 in Big 10) by Rivals and 29 (5) by Scout. With probably at least 5 more scholarships available, they are in good shape with rivals/scout 4 star Dalvin Tomlinson, a DL, and are in the top few for Ron Thompson, a scout 4 star receiver/TE. They could finish even higher.

Second, IU sold all the tickets they were given. And I've seen reports of that being 10k. Expect, though, a fairly large walk-in crowd.

Go Hoosiers

Dab
09-03-2011, 08:07 PM
As of Thursday evening IU had sold 7000 tickets to the game, surpassing their allotment of 6500.

Coach Wilson termed the number 'disappointing' but AD Fred Glass was very happy with it.

Ozwalt72
09-03-2011, 10:00 PM
And, unfortunately, IU will continue to struggle until they are able to win the line of scrimmage, on both sides. The defensive line in particular was manhandled all game.

Coach Wilson made a coaching mistake, not settling for the FG. But it was an understandable risk, he wanted to put it on his offense to step up and make a play. It should have worked.

D-BONE
09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Defensive line manhandled = broken record for IU football since 1993.

I hope Wilson can solve this, but it won't be this year. He'll have to do what nobody's done in years at IU, recruit defenders with the actual size to play B10-level football. Actually, even MAC - level football for that matter.

Heisenberg
09-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I wasn't planning on faulting Wilson for much this year, after all, not his kids, can't handle his system, all that stuff. I figured regardless of the W/L record the only thing you could really take away about him from this year is his in game management.

Soooo...passing up that FG? C'mon.

Heisenberg
09-04-2011, 01:52 AM
What cdash? A Hope bash? Have at it, I'm certainly no fan. I expect (relative) big things out of IU and Wilson in the future, just hope that wasn't a harbinger.

Shade
09-04-2011, 07:14 AM
:picard:

cdash
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
What cdash? A Hope bash? Have at it, I'm certainly no fan. I expect (relative) big things out of IU and Wilson in the future, just hope that wasn't a harbinger.

Oh I wasn't trying to stir anything up, I just think he's a terrible coach.

Dgreenwell3
09-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Wilson? There isn't much for him to work with there right now...and I am not one to defend IU...ball state came out pumped IU and got them. I think next year (if Wilson Isnt coaching for his alma mater in north carolina) you will see another steadied improvement.

cdash
09-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Wilson? There isn't much for him to work with there right now...and I am not one to defend IU...ball state came out pumped IU and got them. I think next year (if Wilson Isnt coaching for his alma mater in north carolina) you will see another steadied improvement.

I was talking about Danny Hope for Purdue.

Heisenberg
09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
No disagreement from me. Seems like he'd make a kick *** high school coach though.

Trader Joe
09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Our lines are really, really bad. And Wright Baker didn't blow me away either. But how much time did BSU's QB have last night? Crazy.

Since86
09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Our lines are really, really bad. And Wright Baker didn't blow me away either. But how much time did BSU's QB have last night? Crazy.

Coach Lembo came to bsu and has really empasized the oline. I think all the recruits for next season so far are linemen. Maybe not all but most of them.

Ozwalt72
09-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Our offensive line was bad and needs time to gel. But they aren't going to be horrible this year. They have to get used to an entirely new scheme. Much more trapping, pulling and overall downhill running that they didn't see with the Lynch spread.

-Note- The O-Line future, in my opinion, is fairly bright. Recruits like Jacob Bailey are tailor-made for this offense. Not to mention, because of a lack of depth this year, up to 2 true freshman OL and 3 redshirts will receive work. Bernard Taylor has the physical tools already, and some of the others are athletic, if they still need to put on weight. Remember, Ralston Evans, a true freshman that impressed in spring ball and would have likely started at Guard tore his ACL this summer.

The defensive line has an even bigger change in philosophy. They are no longer playing gaps as much as they are tying up linemen for the backers. I don't know how they are going to improve, I only know that they must. Darius Johnson, our best pass rusher...and likely best lineman missed last game for an undisclosed reason. If he returns, it will help.

And that was EWB's first start, and first action really outside of mop up minutes. He had happy feet, didn't have a good feel in the pocket and had a couple very poorly thrown balls. Though, he never got a chance to get into a rhythm because Ball State dominated T.O.S. I expect the quarterback play to improve the most throughout the season as he gets more comfortable.

Couple things to note:

You are never as bad/good as you look.
The biggest improvement should happen between the first and second game.

Trader Joe
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I mean we did play 10 true freshman so that is a lot, we will jus thave to see.

Dab
09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Factoid: The Hoosiers have sold 21,058 season tickets for football, more than any year since 2000.

Trader Joe
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
They are also selling basketball season tix much faster than the past 2 years.

cdash
09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
White helmets!

D-BONE
09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Like the white helmets a lot!

Unfortunately, it can't cover up the fact the Wright-Baker just doesn't throw the ball well - inaccurate, lacking touch.

I guess I'm no asking for Kiel, but the offense just looks terrible.

Defense...well I feel sorry for them.

D-BONE
09-10-2011, 09:25 PM
IU got hosed on the non-safety call.

EWB has missed at least three open guys on deep throws.

cdash
09-10-2011, 09:51 PM
The play-calling is ultra conservative. Now I know why. Wright-Baker can't throw for ****.

IUfan4life
09-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Where would this rank on the all time wins? Obviously not the biggest win by any stretch, but with IU being IU, and coming back and punching a real school in the mouth that's still pretty big to me.

IUfan4life
09-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Where would this rank on the all time wins? Obviously not the biggest win by any stretch, but with IU being IU, and coming back and punching a real school in the mouth that's still pretty big to me.

hypothetically speaking of course. God. Me and my mouth.

cdash
09-10-2011, 10:34 PM
***damnit you stupid mother****er. Wright-Baker, what the ****ing **** you ****ing *******.

D-BONE
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I will give credit for the enthusiasm, tenacity, and at least some signs of life from the D.

Perez looked decent. EWB is not without some potential, but he will have to overcome and or improve his limitation as a passer somehow. Yes, he can make some throws, but he's inconsistent, can't throw the deep ball well, and demonstrates no ability to make the touch throw.

It's really a game you shouldn't lose. Otherwise, it's still the same old IU cycle - finding ways to lose even games that you seem to be in control of.

cdash
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
If the Irish blow this game against Michigan, I am going to commit a homicide.

cdash
09-11-2011, 12:13 AM

cdash
09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Mother. ****er. This day could not have possibly been any worse. Can't wait to watch the Colts get pounded in the *** tomorrow!!!!

D-BONE
09-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I would say - and this is no excuse for IU's choking this away in the last 2 minutes - they really should have had five more points on the scoreboard in this one.

The failed fake on the FG - second time in two weeks Wilson elects to eschew an almost given 3 - is on IU...coaching. The sack that was called a safety, then revised and spotted at the one, was on the officials.

True...Rocco's on the one when the first contact is made by the defender. But, the replay clearly shows the hit immediately jars the ball loose. The QB is bobbling it as he falls back into the endzone, where he finally secures it at the defender finishes the tackle.

Isn't that contact, loss of possession, resecuring possession in the end zone? By that same logic, the nightmare EWB sack at the end of the game shouldn't have been change of possesion. QB is down at very first contact.

EWB was obviously a strip and change of possession simultaneous with the tackle. The zebras just jagged us on the non-safety. Apparently there was also a lot of confusion on their part as to whether that play was reviewable. I'm unclear whether it was ever reviewed at all, but the original call on the field was a safety, so I don't know how or why it get's changed.

Trader Joe
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I gotta say that the D looked dare I say...good for a decent stretch against Virginia? They were active and hitting hard.

It's a work in progress, but Wilson seems to be slowly but surely changing the culture.

Also, I thought the whit ehelmets were atrocious.

cdash
09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
The white helmets needed red stripes. They were too plain jane. Also, Edward Wright-Baker kills Wilson's playcalling. Just a horrendous passer.

Ownagedood
09-13-2011, 11:36 AM
I was really encouraged by the energy the players and fans showed all game, even when we were down 21. They were psyched up.. Unfortuntely the end result wasn't in our favor. Quite a few things need to improve but the team does have some real promise in them.

EWB was driving me insane missing the deep ball. I love the mobility he brings and i think he will be an asset in the future but Wilson has a lot of work ahead of him with EWB if he is going to continue to be the QB for this team. Its not unfixable, Wilson is a good coach for QBs as well so thats promising. Also the defense looked good at times, they were just put in bad spots by the offense at times. Still needs to continue improving, and i think one reason they played relatively well was because the energy the team and fans had at the game.. That really energizes a defense and makes them fly to the ball, so i expect drops in performance when they are on the road but it is still a good sign.

Overal, even though they lost, as long as the team keeps their head up i think it was a game full of positives, it showed some things that they need to work on and improve on and it also showed that they can overcome some adversity and that they do have the skill it takes to compete and win, like Wilson is trying to instill into them.

Ownagedood
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Btw, has anyone heard anything new about Gary Harris? I know he has a scheduled visit with IU on 10/15/2011, but have no clue which way he may be leaning, anyone have any light on the subject?

Trader Joe
09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
October 15th which is now also Hoosier Hysteria or Hoosier Harris-teria if you prefer. Assembly Hall is gonna be rocking tough to see that not swaying him. On a Saturday night it's gonna be electric.

Pacersalltheway10
09-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not? He won't be in the conversation.

As you have said yourself, we will see. * Enter [No one in a billion years would have thought that...] comment*

Trader Joe
09-13-2011, 10:58 PM
This is the Mr. Basketball award. It follows a pretty simple template. One that he does not check off many pre-requisites on.

Pacersalltheway10
09-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I was joking about what you said in the colts thread.

D-BONE
09-17-2011, 10:37 PM
First win of the Kevin Wilson era. Anybody see it who has reactions?

Heard of the record - setting penalty mark.

Oh well, it's a win.

cdash
09-19-2011, 10:26 AM
The win is nice, but man those penalties have got to go. You won't win a single B1G game if you are penalized anywhere near that much.

I actually think there are a few winnable games in the B1G this year for IU. They don't play Nebraska, and the only other team that is top notch is Wisconsin, which has a history of skull-****ing us. Penn State looks bad and they play at The Rock--very winnable game. Ohio State looks very mediocre, although we play them in Columbus. Still, it's not an automatic L like it has been in the past. Illinois is ranked and just beat Arizona State, but I still don't think they are very good. Iowa has looked shaky and we usually play them tough. Northwestern at home on Homecoming/Halloween weekend is winnable. Purdue is at home and they suck. Basically what I'm saying is that if we can correct some of these errors and improve on the fly under Wilson that we could potentially make a bowl game or at least be in the conversation. Will it happen? I doubt it, but it's possible.

Trader Joe
09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I think the fact that there has been improvement on a week to week basis is the big key here. We never saw that with Lynch.

BRushWithDeath
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Northwestern and Purdue look like the only games which are even remotely winnable. And Northwestern should be a lot better than they showed against Army.

I don't see any conference wins for IU or Purdue until the final week when we'll see which team sucks more.

I guess I'll pick IU to win since it is in Bloomington but it's really a toss-up.

Two very low talent and poorly coached teams.

cdash
09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Northwestern and Purdue look like the only games which are even remotely winnable. And Northwestern should be a lot better than they showed against Army.

I don't see any conference wins for IU or Purdue until the final week when we'll see which team sucks more.

I guess I'll pick IU to win since it is in Bloomington but it's really a toss-up.

Two very low talent and poorly coached teams.

Penn State is winnable. Iowa is winnable. Not saying we will win them, but I think we can.

IU isn't poorly coached, either.

BRushWithDeath
09-20-2011, 07:33 AM
IU isn't poorly coached, either.

Granted, it's only been 3 games, but having major game management errors in two and setting a record for penalties in the third doesn't point to a well coached team.

cdash
09-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Granted, it's only been 3 games, but having major game management errors in two and setting a record for penalties in the third doesn't point to a well coached team.

A new coach playing a ton of underclassmen (and true freshmen), you will have that. I don't really know what you are talking about with the major game management errors in two of the games. Passing up on the field goal I assume is one, but hindsight is 20/20. At the time he went for it, the team needed a spark. We were getting killed and weren't moving the ball well on offense. The final score says we lost by 3 and we passed up on a sure thing field goal, so obviously he made a huge tactical error. I watched that entire game, I wanted him to go for it and thought it was the right decision at the time.

cdash
09-24-2011, 08:47 PM
It's possible that we are an incredibly bad football team.

cdash
09-24-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm willing to agree with you now. :laugh:

Dab
09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Jeez, can't believe this thing is going down to the wire

cdash
09-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Dusty Kiel came in and looked a lot better than ****** Wright Baker. We keep digging ourselves in holes to start games. That needs to change. This team still sucks. North Texas is a bad football team.

Trader Joe
09-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Why are we surprised this football team is bad? The talent is terrible. We all knew this would be a bad year regardless of who the coach was.

cdash
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Why are we surprised this football team is bad? The talent is terrible. We all knew this would be a bad year regardless of who the coach was.

Who is surprised that they are bad? I'm surprised by how bad they are. North Texas is one of the worst teams in FBS and they completely dominated us for most of that game. If you watched the game, it was a lot worse than the final score indicated.

Ownagedood
09-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Who is surprised that they are bad? I'm surprised by how bad they are. North Texas is one of the worst teams in FBS and they completely dominated us for most of that game. If you watched the game, it was a lot worse than the final score indicated.

Ya, i was watching the game by myself on ESPN3 and i still felt embarressed to be a IU fan while watching the game.. Just totally looking outmatched against such a bad team, in their first Big Ten game ever.. I just hope Wilson sticks with us. I think he is special, and will really help our program.

Even though it takes away our Mobility at QB, I am all for seeing what Dusty can do when hes the starter, hes the only reason we had a close shot at the very end of the game. EWB and crew played terrible. Granted they were without their best playmaker in Belcher.

Since86
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't want cdash to think I'm pissing in his cheerios but.......

IU coach Kevin Wilson: Running back Darius Willis' 'career is basically over'

Anyone hoping that Darius Willis will be back in action (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS0601/110927019/IU-coach-Kevin-Wilson-Running-back-Darius-Willis-career-may-over?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s#) for Indiana this season may want to think again.

In fact, Willis’s IU career may be over. IU coach Kevin Wilson made that comment during Tuesday’s weekly press conference.

Willis has been out since the fourth game of last season with a knee injury. Wilson said he is not able to practice because of the injury and said the team (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS0601/110927019/IU-coach-Kevin-Wilson-Running-back-Darius-Willis-career-may-over?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s#) is exploring petitioning the Big Ten for a medical hardship waiver.

“We’re in the process of putting that into place but his career is basically over,’’ Wilson said.

Wilson’s announcement comes on the heels of a report this weekend that Willis participated in a pro wrestling match (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS0601/110927019/IU-coach-Kevin-Wilson-Running-back-Darius-Willis-career-may-over?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s#) in Bloomington while his IU teammates were in Denton, Texas to play North Texas. The Infinity Pro Wrestling event was held at the National Guard Armory in Bloomington.

According to a report by the Indiana Daily Student, Willis executed a “flying shoulder tackle’’ during the match.

IU had no comment on the report.

Wills was the runner-up for the 2007 Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Football award.

Too funny.

Trader Joe
09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Probably one of the most disappointing people in the history of IU football and that is really saying something.

RE: Darius Willis.

cdash
09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't want cdash to think I'm pissing in his cheerios but.......

Too funny.

Normally, you are attempting to urinate in my otherwise delicious Honey Nut Cheerios, but this is hilarious, I'd actually read this before.

Dab
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Ray Tolbert to be inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/09/30/sports_pb_rayv2_0930.jpg
http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=83185

Ultimate IU alumna will mark 75th year of watching IU football Saturday
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/09/30/news.qp-6137997.sto
(Subscription requred to read entire article, excerpt below)

When Dorothy Stoelting attended her first Indiana University football game as a freshman, the legendary Alvin “Bo” McMillin was in his second year as coach of the Hoosiers and IU beat Centre College of Kentucky 14-0.

A decade later she witnessed one of the most glorious seasons in IU history when the 1945 Hoosiers went 9-0-1, won the Big Ten Conference title and ended the season ranked fourth in the nation.

Dorothy doesn’t recall which game she caught in Bloomington during the 1967 season but she was there in Pasadena on Jan. 1, 1968, when coach John Pont’s Hoosiers took the Hoosiers to their only Rose Bowl appearance, a 14-3 defeat at the hands of O.J. Simpson and the University of Southern California Trojans.

Still, she was taken aback this week when asked how she felt about reaching the milestone of seeing at least one IU home football game each year for 75 years.

“Seventy-five? It doesn’t seem possible!” she exclaimed over the phone from her St. Louis home. “Oh my goodness! I hadn’t thought of that.”

It’s apparently true, according to her daughters, Jean Burgess of Bloomington and Judy Sanford of St. Louis. Dorothy always has been proud of attending at least one football game in Bloomington every year since enrolling at IU and to the best of her memory never missed a year except for 1963, when she arrived in Bloomington expecting to see the Hoosiers play and the game was cancelled because of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

“I think the neatest thing of all is that she’s never wavered from her loyalty or support of IU,” Burgess said. “Even when I was a little girl growing up, we always went to at least one game and sometimes several. Sometimes we were thrilled if IU didn’t lose by 20 points. That’s what we called a victory. But she’s never wavered, not even when people would get down on the team. She’s always been there for them.”

Dorothy came to IU from Warsaw, Ind., where she was class valedictorian. She went on to a long career as a public school teacher. For many years, Dorothy and her husband, Richard, came down to Bloomington from their northern Indiana home and met up with a regular group of friends for a weekend of fellowship, fun and football rah-rah. “We always stayed at McCormick’s Creek,” Dorothy said. “It didn’t matter what game we went to. We just got a room whenever we could get a room and there was a game that weekend. We’ll be there again this year.” (And booking rooms for next year before they leave.)

Burgess recalled that part of the attraction to McCormick’s Creek for her parents was that IU’s team stayed there on the night before games. “They’d get up bright and early to see the team. It was really sweet in the later years: you’d see eight little old people trudging down to cheer for the boys as they got on the team bus,” she said . . .

. . . At age 93 and approaching 94 on Oct. 8, Dorothy will no doubt be one of the few fans in the stands older than Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who is 84.

“She’s still sharp. She’s an amazing person — an amazing alumna,” said Burgess. “Her favorite part of the game is when the Marching Hundred comes out. She always cries. She’ll tell you that, too. It always brings tears to her eyes.”

Shade
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I've actually played against Ray a few times. He can still ball.

Dab
10-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't believe I've ever seen a receiver and his defender both get called for pass interference on the same play until now.

Despite the score being 6-3 in the 3rd quarter, the game has been very entertaining. With Penn State inside IU's five-yard line, IU gets a much needed turnover.

D-BONE
10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah. I'm not expecting much form IU this year. It's more of a build a foundation for the future season. However, it's really a crying shame they couldn't somehow pull out the Penn St. game seeing how much they tried to hand it over to us.

Does anyone else buy some of this favorable reaction I've been reading to Kiel? It's absolutely a lesser of two evils scenario, but EWB just looks better to me. I suppose there were significant pieces missing on offense yesterday.

cdash
10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
This is a really bad football team. Not exactly a shocker there, though.

cdash
10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1274157

Yikes.

BRushWithDeath
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Yikes.

Overrated?

cdash
10-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Overrated?

It's not like your Boilers are a whole lot better there, chief.

Heisenberg
10-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Best public school in the state! Ivy Tech doesn't have a team right?

Since86
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM

No, but Ball State does. BSU is the best public school in the state.

BRushWithDeath
10-05-2011, 11:37 AM

They're probably overrated too. They're absolutely terrible.

Fortunately, it seems they are very slightly better than both Minnesota and Indiana.

So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

(And when did they become my Boilers?)

travmil
10-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm not a fan of IU football and don't really have an interest in their team other than keeping track of a few of their players. Having said that, when I look at their team and their results, I see a team that is heading in the right direction. The record doesn't indicate success in the win/loss totals just yet. Where I see vast improvemment is the overall competitiveness. These games they are playing, where they are losing by a field goal or a TD, are games they would have been blown out in last year. Raise your hand if you think last year's IU team comes within one score of Penn State. Maybe I'm wrong but I see something there. Hopefully for them they can continue to build on it. They had to start somewhere right?

Since86
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
They haven't been more competitive this year. They've actually been less competitive for a number of different reasons.

travmil
10-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Well, the way I'm choosing to measure competitiveness is this one:

2010 average margin of defeat. 21.8 points.

2011 average margin of defeat. 4.8 points.

Are they still losing? Yes. Are they losing by less? Yes, a LOT less. To me, that makes them more competitive this season versus last season and indicates progress, even if it's just a little bit of progress.

Since86
10-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Last year, after 5 weeks, they were 3-2. This year, 1-4. That's the most obvious.

Then you actually take a look at who they've played, and find out that they lost to North Texas which is a FCS school. They beat Ball St. a few years ago, and it was a pretty embarassing loss. And that is for a MAC school, and IU is a Big 10 school.

They might end up this season with two total wins.

BRushWithDeath
10-05-2011, 01:25 PM

They very well could and maybe even should end the season with one total wins.

Against D-1AA (The whole FBS/FCS thing is stupid.) South Carolina State.

The only games left that they have a chance to be favored in are at home against Northwestern and Purdue.

Assuming Dan Persa plays for Northwestern, they won't be favored in that one.

Barring a relatively large upset, the Purdue game is their only legitimate shot at getting a second win.

Purdue could very well end the season with two wins. They've got a home game against Minnesota and at Memorial Stadium which should both be wins but they're bad enough to make it perfectly reasonable that they could blow both of those also.

travmil
10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Last year, after 5 weeks, they were 3-2. This year, 1-4. That's the most obvious.

Then you actually take a look at who they've played, and find out that they lost to North Texas which is a FCS school. They beat Ball St. a few years ago, and it was a pretty embarassing loss. And that is for a MAC school, and IU is a Big 10 school.

I don't know why I even try sometimes. I'll just get this over with now instead of turning it into a 800 post thread. Since86 is right and I'm wrong.

BRushWithDeath
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Well, the way I'm choosing to measure competitiveness is this one:

2010 average margin of defeat. 21.8 points.

2011 average margin of defeat. 4.8 points.

Are they still losing? Yes. Are they losing by less? Yes, a LOT less. To me, that makes them more competitive this season versus last season and indicates progress, even if it's just a little bit of progress.

That number will grow considerably.

Just look at their schedule. They've played a middle-of-the-road Mac school, arguably the worst team in the ACC, a D1-AA school, a bad Sun Belt Conference school, and a down Penn State team.

They've got to go to Camp Randall, and everybody remembers what happened the last time the Hoosiers rolled into Madison.

They've got to go to Iowa, who despite being in a down year like Penn State, will be a heavy double digit favorite.

They've got to go to Ohio State and play in the Shoe.

They've got to go to East Lansing and play a good team on the road with an NFL quarterback.

They've kept the final scores close so far. But it took furious rallies late in the games to keep the scores competitive against Virginia and the Mean Green. Ball State's score was close but even then IU was basically dominated.

I've watched every game they've played except for North Texas and the D1-AA team. This team is bad. And the scores have been deceivingly close.

travmil
10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Well the rest of the Big Ten season will tell the tale then. I don't think they'll lose by 63 to Wisconsin again. We'll see how they do and compare the final scores to the same games from last season. I know teams change from year to year but I certainly don't think Wisconsin has gotten any worse.

BRushWithDeath
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Yikes.

I hadn't noticed it before but the only BCS teams below 100 are the bottom 3 of the Big Ten.

Purdue is just lucky they get to play both of the others.

Also, evidently I was wrong earlier by calling Virginia the worst team in the ACC. Boston College is 99th. The Cavaliers are 86th.

BRushWithDeath
10-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Well the rest of the Big Ten season will tell the tale then. I don't think they'll lose by 63 to Wisconsin again. We'll see how they do and compare the final scores to the same games from last season. I know teams change from year to year but I certainly don't think Wisconsin has gotten any worse.

I don't think they'll lose by 63 again. I certainly hope not.

And you're right about Wisconsin. They're a top 3 team this year in my opinion. I'd love to see them play the SEC champ in the National Championship and I think there is a very good chance that it happens. Russell Wilson is the truth.

cdash
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM

...in what? Per capita student STDs?

Since86
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't know why I even try sometimes. I'll just get this over with now instead of turning it into a 800 post thread. Since86 is right and I'm wrong.

Sorry that you can't handle someone pointing out the difference between football divisions.

cdash
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I hadn't noticed it before but the only BCS teams below 100 are the bottom 3 of the Big Ten.

Purdue is just lucky they get to play both of the others.

Also, evidently I was wrong earlier by calling Virginia the worst team in the ACC. Boston College is 99th. The Cavaliers are 86th.

The Big Ten is incredibly weak this year. The poo-poo platter trio of IU, Minnesota, and Purdue is pathetic. Traditional power Ohio State is in flux and not a very good football team. Wisconsin is the real deal, Nebraska is probably overrated, Illinois definitely isn't as good as their record indicates (and that particular ranking has then #10!), and I'm not completely sold on Michigan either.

Since86
10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
...in what? Per capita student STDs?

I didn't realize that the success of the football team was so important to your selfesteem. It will be okay. Better days are ahead. Or atleast they can't get much worse.

travmil
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry that you can't handle someone pointing out the difference between football divisions.

Since86 hath spoken, and lo the people of the world listened and nodded in agreement, and all was good.

cdash
10-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I didn't realize that the success of the football team was so important to your selfesteem. It will be okay. Better days are ahead. Or atleast they can't get much worse.

It's not. I didn't realize you were talking about football. The guy you quoted was talking academics, I believe. Or that's the way I took it.

Since86
10-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Yikes.

Overrated?

I fail to see where the conversation was academics. I thought the topic was the fact that IU was rated 109 and Purdue was rated 106. I thought Heisenberg missed Ball State ranking at 77.

cdash
10-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I fail to see where the conversation was academics. I thought the topic was the fact that IU was rated 109 and Purdue was rated 106. I thought Heisenberg missed Ball State ranking at 77.

Well, he was responding to BRush, who in another thread at another time said he attended Purdue because it was the best academic school in the state when we were bickering over IU/PU. I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that was what Heisenberg was referring to, but now I realize it's entirely possible (probable) that I was wrong.

Since86
10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, since you only partially agree'd with me I think God will accept the sacrifice of any offspring of your chosing, instead of the traditional first born son.

Heisenberg
10-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I was just making a joke about how bad all the state's public schools are in football. I did forget about Ball State, but Purdue'd beat them. Well, maybe.

Trader Joe
10-06-2011, 02:03 PM
The state of Indiana hasn't cared enough to create good football players in a long time. All the good athletes in the state pick up a basketball once they can walk.

pacer4ever
10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
The state of Indiana hasn't cared enough to create good football players in a long time. All the good athletes in the state pick up a basketball once they can walk.

This is not true there are plenty good players in HS football. The problem for IU is all the good players good to the VT and the much better programs and I dont blame them for that.

Trader Joe
10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Please Indiana is not an amateur football state and never has been. We have maybe 1 5 star recruit a year at most. The best athletes play basketball here. That's just a fact and it's reflected in our disparity in terms of bball recruits vs. football recruits.

I mean look at our freaking Mr. Football last year that went to Warren Central and then IU, the guy was a borderline 3/4 star recruit and was the best player in the state.

pacer4ever
10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Please Indiana is not an amateur football state and never has been. We have maybe 1 5 star recruit a year at most. The best athletes play basketball here. That's just a fact and it's reflected in our disparity in terms of bball recruits vs. football recruits.

I mean look at our freaking Mr. Football last year that went to Warren Central and then IU, the guy was a borderline 3/4 star recruit and was the best player in the state.

My buddy from Warren was in the top 150 last year went to VT he was a 4 star and had no interest in IU he would of laughed if someone told him to go play football at IU lol. Warren also had another 4 star who went to UNC. This year they have 6 players who are 3/4 star recruits one already committed to IU. I mean IU cant expect to land a player higher than 3 star and there are plenty of good 3 star players in IN high school football. A lot more kids play football than you think IN has been slowing turning into a great HS football state.

Trader Joe
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
5 star recruits win championships. We have almost none any year.

pacer4ever
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
5 star recruits win championships. We have almost none any year.

my god IU is never gonna win a championship in football and there are plenty of 3 and 4 star recruits on championship teams though. If you have good coaches who can teach 3 stars can get to a 5 star level after a few years.

Trader Joe
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
You are completely missing the point. I never said IU would win a championship. I am merely stating that one of the reasons Indiana football struggles so much particularly over the past decade (and when I say Indiana, I mean Notre Dame, Purdue, IU, etc.) is because there is no real in state talent.

Pacersalltheway10
10-06-2011, 11:14 PM
quick question. What would happen if I went to the Butler-IU game at Assembly Hall? Would I get mugged?

Trader Joe
10-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Is that a serious question?

BRushWithDeath
10-07-2011, 09:43 AM
As a fellow Butler fan, I apologize.

Ownagedood
10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
quick question. What would happen if I went to the Butler-IU game at Assembly Hall? Would I get mugged?

Maybe if you were an Illinois or Purdue fan ;)

I think most people in Indiana are fond of Butler, even if they are fans of another team.. Their the underdog for the state!

BRushWithDeath
10-07-2011, 02:00 PM
What would happen if I went to the Butler-IU game at Assembly Hall?

You'd have a ****** view like the rest of the people in the building.

pacer4ever
10-07-2011, 02:03 PM
You'd have a ****** view like the rest of the people in the building.

Actually if you sit lower the view isnt too bad went to a Purdue IU game a few years back.

but asking if you will get mugged is about the funniest thing i have ever read.

BRushWithDeath
10-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Actually if you sit lower the view isnt too bad went to a Purdue IU game a few years back.

but asking if you will get mugged is about the funniest thing i have ever read.

The only seat I've ever had in there that didn't completely suck was directly behind the bench. And those aren't for sale.

As a general rule, Assembly Hall has the worst sightlines of any arena you can find.

It is ridiculously loud though. The loudest sporting event moment I've ever attended was the Duke game when Redick was a senior and they were #1. When fatass Killingworth got a steal and dunk to put IU ahead, I thought my ear drums were going to burst. Pretty awesome.

pacer4ever
10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
The only seat I've ever had in there that didn't completely suck was directly behind the bench. And those aren't for sale.

As a general rule, Assembly Hall has the worst sightlines of any arena you can find.

It is ridiculously loud though. The loudest sporting event moment I've ever attended was the Duke game when Redick was a senior and they were #1. When fatass Killingworth got a steal and dunk to put IU ahead, I thought my ear drums were going to burst. Pretty awesome.
Killingsworth the transfer from Auburn lol what ever happen to him did he go to Europe? He actually wasn't too bad but some college experts built him up to be the savior.

Ya I mean it isn't Mackey where every seat is a good view. The thing I hate about Assembly is that if you have a bad seat you cant even see the scoreboard lol.

Trader Joe
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
The place is designed to hold the sound. Yes, the sight lines are horrid and if you walk down the stairs too drunk, you will either break your neck or crap your pants from the fear of breaking your neck.

But when it gets loud...it gets very, very loud. The over head balconies just hold the sound in.

D-BONE
10-08-2011, 04:06 PM
So...I'm wasting time that could be better spent watching IU v. Illinois. I just cannot believe how awful IU's offense is.

Young line, young QBs. But, you get the ball 1st and goal at the opponent's three and you can't punch it in? Don't even attempt a pass?

It's almost like you have to work hard to be down this much when you have a KO-TD return and you've recovered two IL fumbles, one on their three. And you've actually driven the field two or three times only to stall out every one.

pacer4ever
10-08-2011, 04:28 PM
So...I'm wasting time that could be better spent watching IU v. Illinois. I just cannot believe how awful IU's offense is.

Young line, young QBs. But, you get the ball 1st and goal at the opponent's three and you can't punch it in? Don't even attempt a pass?

It's almost like you have to work hard to be down this much when you have a KO-TD return and you've recovered two IL fumbles, one on their three. And you've actually driven the field two or three times only to stall out every one.

I am not liking the way Kevin Wilson coaches he has made several key mistakes in this game.

D-BONE
10-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah. Some things are mystifying. Additionally, he's got no QB and a sieve for an O line. Actually, I'm hoping they just play the Roberson guy. I've seen enough Kiel.

Trader Joe
10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Offensive line is almost as bad as the Colts.

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Getting pumped for Hoosier Harris-teria this Saturday! Sounds like we have almost sold enough tickets to again be the largest student section in the nation.

BRushWithDeath
10-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I said IU was a poorly coached and very low talent football team. They are. But they're unlucky that Minnesota isn't on their schedule. 2011 Minnesota is undoubtedly the worst Big Ten team I've ever seen. I can't see it happening, but if Minnesota wins another game, the opposing coaching staff and athletic director should be fired on the spot.

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
They might as well go with the Tre Roberson experience at this point. That offensive line is so bad that the other two QBs might not make it through the season.

BRushWithDeath
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM
They might as well go with the Tre Roberson experience at this point. That offensive line is so bad that the other two QBs might not make it through the season.

I agree. I did not watch the whole game very intently because I was pretty close to blacked out by halftime, but I saw nothing from Kiel that excited me. At least Roberson can make a play with his legs. The only reason I could think to not make that move would be if you started playing Roberson at WR/RB the rest of the way to get him more experience in preperation for the next Kiel.

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 09:11 AM
It was tough to get any read on Dusty because Illinois knew that on third down they could blitz and our offensive line would collapse in a blink of an eye.

Obviously, Dusty isn't the answer or even really a Big Ten caliber QB, but I don't think he's quite as bad as he looks. I don't know, it's just a bad football team. The Oklahoma style just doesn't work here because we don't have the lines that Oklahoma has always had. We can't protect the QB for the length of time it takes for the draw running plays or vertical passing plays to develop. Oklahoma and Wilson probably run more deep post and corner routes than any other offense in college football and we jsut don't have the beef here to let those plays develop.

cdash
10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
You have to play Roberson at this point.

cdash
10-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Maurice Creek out for the season. "I'm shocked."

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
That totally ruined my day. So sad for him. I don't really appreciate the "I'm shocked." It implies he had some sort of control over it. I dunno, just don't dig the tone of that.

cdash
10-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't care if you appreciate it or not. It implies no such thing. All it does imply is that he is a very injury prone person, and any injury he suffers, especially with his rail thin legs comes as absolutely no shock to me. I was already considering anything he gave us this upcoming season to be a bonus. It sucks for him, I feel terrible for the guy, but it's hardly shocking news.

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
If you can't see how that tone comes off as slightly dickish considering his circumstances than that is your problem not mine. Who cares whether it is shocking or not, it is a devastating injury and didn't need to be said.

cdash
10-10-2011, 04:47 PM
If would be dickish if I said it to him or his family/friends. To you/the rest of the board...no. Really don't see how that is crossing any lines.

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm in a bad mood.

cdash
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
You can't really be surprised by this though. Even if this hadn't happened, he was still recovering from the other leg injury. For him, personally, I feel terrible. For the team, I don't think it's a huge loss. Like I said, I didn't expect much out of him to begin with.

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 05:01 PM
No it's not a huge loss, but I feel terrible for him. And I'm just in a bad mood.

cdash
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Sorry man. I feel bad for him too.

Heisenberg
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
At this point, you've got to question the rest of his career, no?

Trader Joe
10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't think we'll see him in an IU uniform ever again. Especially with the class that is coming in next year. If Harris commits, it is almost certainly the end of Creek's IU career. We just wouldn't even have a spot for him anymore.

Since86
10-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm almost afraid of the backlash of being the first person to bring this up.....

No comments on the new recruiting violations?

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I saw it. No backlash from me. As long as it was a one time thing, I'm not going to hang anyone over it. Crean has been pretty open about it and even sent out a tweet about it last night. Obviously, it's not an ideal scenario, but I do understand mistakes happen, and from the timeline I've read it does sound like an honest mistake and it seems the NCAA is OK with the self imposed deduction of recruiting days. I'm confident that if anything else is going on I'm sure it will come out as the NCAA is surely watching us like a hawk. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it at this point.

BRushWithDeath
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I saw it. No backlash from me. As long as it was a one time thing, I'm not going to hang anyone over it. Crean has been pretty open about it and even sent out a tweet about it last night. Obviously, it's not an ideal scenario, but I do understand mistakes happen, and from the timeline I've read it does sound like an honest mistake and it seems the NCAA is OK with the self imposed deduction of recruiting days. I'm confident that if anything else is going on I'm sure it will come out as the NCAA is surely watching us like a hawk. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it at this point.

I agree that the infraction is pretty inconsequentional but the "honest mistake" thing doesn't really add up. As The Daily's* Dan Wolken, one of the best sports columnists out there right now in my opinion, wrote,

"Tom Crean visited Gary Harris a day after the contact period ended? Sorry, but that screams intentional violation. That's not some sort of technicality or gray area. It's the friggin recruiting calendar. Coaches know it by heart."

It's obviously not a big deal. But a team on probation shouldn't be comitting violations at all. Especially violations that are so completely obvious. I mean seriously, Terry Hutchens can write in his blog about how the "NCAA manual is the size of the Yellow Pages and is as easy to read as a Tom Clancy novel**" but this is not some little known clause to a rule located on page 976 of a hard to decipher book. It's a calendar. Everbody knows it. You can Google it and find it in literally 1 second. Google "2011-12 NCAA basketball recruiting calendar" and click the first link.

It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

*If you have an iPad and don't have The Daily, you are missing out. It's certainly worth the cost.

**Tom Clancy books are hard to read? I've only read a few (The Hunt for Red October, The Cardinal and the Kremlin, The Sum of All Fears, Executive Orders, and The Bear and the Dragon) but I've never once thought they were anything but entertaining beach fodder.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree that it could very easily not be an honest mistake, just giving Crean the benefit of the doubt. Also, it would seem that if IU was habitually rule breaking right now or committing a major violation, we would know since Crean probably has the NCAA attached to his hip most of the time.

Also, Coach Calipari was at a frozen yogurt place down the road from HSE yesterday according to a JMV tweet, I'm still trying to piece together all these rules, but if he had met with Harris would that also be a violation?

Also, yeah Tom Clancy books aren't exactly that difficult to read IMO.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
It's too bad IU only gets to play Nebraska once this year :shrug: I would have enjoyed having two guaranteed wins against those cream puffs.

BRushWithDeath
10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I agree that it could very easily not be an honest mistake, just giving Crean the benefit of the doubt. Also, it would seem that if IU was habitually rule breaking right now or committing a major violation, we would know since Crean probably has the NCAA attached to his hip most of the time.

Tom Crean isn't as stupid as he's portraying himself by saying it was a mistake. If he was, he wouldn't be a Big Ten basketball coach. Hell, he wouldn't even be a high school graduate. He knew what he was doing. It was a calculated risk. He knew the potential reward outweighed the penalty. If IU wasn't already under probation, it would be no big deal to anyone and honestly, we probably would know nothing about it. But intentionally breaking a rule, even a minor one, seems like a big deal when it is being a committed by a school with IU's history. Even if that history had nothing to do with Crean.

cdash
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
You are making it out to be a lot bigger deal than it is (unsurprisingly). Here's the thing: The evaluation period was still going on. So Crean could go and visit Harris, just not talk to him. It's not like he couldn't be anywhere around him and brazenly went to HSE and talked to Harris. It's perfectly plausible that he made an honest mistake. After all, he did self-report it that very same day. It's not a big deal and the only reason this is a story is because it happened at Indiana.

Since86
10-12-2011, 01:46 PM
It's perfectly plausible that he made an honest mistake.

You REALLY think this?

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Honestly, the guy that raised the question is a UK fan blogger and that's the reason it came out to the public. What's that old saying about living in glass houses....

Coach Cal was at a frozen yogurt place about a mile south of HSE yesterday...think he was there for the strawberry-banana flavor? I'm gonna guess no.

Since86
10-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right. Everyone knows Coach Cal is a cheater. You aren't going to have to wait long until he's gone from UK and ruining the next program.

But IU is on probation for a reason. Any coach is stupid for not knowing the recruiting dates. A coach on probation not knowing is 100 times worse.

pacer4ever
10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Tom Crean isn't as stupid as he's portraying himself by saying it was a mistake. If he was, he wouldn't be a Big Ten basketball coach. Hell, he wouldn't even be a high school graduate. He knew what he was doing. It was a calculated risk. He knew the potential reward outweighed the penalty. If IU wasn't already under probation, it would be no big deal to anyone and honestly, we probably would know nothing about it. But intentionally breaking a rule, even a minor one, seems like a big deal when it is being a committed by a school with IU's history. Even if that history had nothing to do with Crean.

The guy knows the rules weather he just forgot which is unlikely he broke them he should be punished.

BRushWithDeath
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
It's not a big deal and the only reason this is a story is because it happened at Indiana.

Absolutely.

When a school is on probation for recruiting violations, intentionally breaking a rule is a story. Even if the infraction is minor.

And the fact that the issue was reported the same day could easily be thought of as further evidence that they knew what they were doing was breaking the rule.

cdash
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Absolutely.

When a school is on probation for recruiting violations, intentionally breaking a rule is a story. Even if the infraction is minor.

And the fact that the issue was reported the same day could easily be thought of as further evidence that they knew what they were doing was breaking the rule.

Spoken like a true Boiler fan. Darn, we lose a few of our 130 days of evaluation time. It's not a big deal. I don't think he intentionally broke the rules. Why would he? As you said, he is coaching at a school on probation for recruiting violations. Why would he intentionally brake a rule in the first place? How much benefit could he possibly have gotten from visiting and contacting Gary Harris (or any other player) one day after the contact period ended? Is there any advantage there at all? No, it makes no logical sense for him to intentionally brake the rule.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Well I don't mean to come off the wrong way, but if you guys are hoping for there to be more penalties for this I wouldn't hold your breath or get your hopes up. The NCAA rules guy has already said that he is fine with the self imposed 2 day recruiting ban. So there really isn't any news here. Just sayin'.

EDIT: It could be as simple as they exchanged greetings at the practice and later that day were like "Oh ****, we couldn't say Hello to Gary today, and if we don't impose this on ourselves someone is going to turn this into a much larger deal than it already is especially since he is a high profile prospect."

I'm just saying, for me, it became a non-issue as soon as I saw what the NCAA officer had said about it.

cdash
10-12-2011, 02:51 PM
The guy knows the rules weather he just forgot which is unlikely he broke them he should be punished.

I don't see anyone crying foul for Coach K for breaking a secondary recruiting rule with his no-no phone call this summer. They will self-impose a reduction of evaluation days, which the NCAA will almost surely agree with. End of story.

cdash
10-12-2011, 02:53 PM
You REALLY think this?

Yeah. Answer me this: Why would he intentionally break that rule? Is it really that beneficial to him to talk to Harris one day after the contact period ended? Is that one visit going to sway Gary Harris to Indiana? Be serious.

Sandman21
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Coach K made a similar mistake this past summer. Its not a big deal.

And about not knowing the deadline, Dakich said on his show today that he didn't know the deadline, Knight didn't know the deadline, 5 or 6 coaches that he claimed he talked to didn't know the deadline. Take it for whats its worth. This is small potatoes in the NCAAs eyes.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't see anyone crying foul for Coach K for breaking a secondary recruiting rule with his no-no phone call this summer. They will self-impose a reduction of evaluation days, which the NCAA will almost surely agree with. End of story.

They already have...that's my whole point. The story is over with.

Since86
10-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah. Answer me this: Why would he intentionally break that rule? Is it really that beneficial to him to talk to Harris one day after the contact period ended? Is that one visit going to sway Gary Harris to Indiana? Be serious.

Maybe. :shrug:

Or he thought he could get away with it, and was called out on it. So in order to minimize the damage they self-reported the violation.

I don't know. Anything is possible.

But if he doesn't know how to follow the recruiting calendar, then IU is in big trouble. If he can't follow that simple of a rule, there's no way he can handle all the other crazy ones out there.

It's not a good position to be in when you're already on probation, whether he's telling the truth or not.

EDIT: Every major college has a compliance staff. If Crean didn't know the dates, for real, someone needs to be held accountable. The NCAA makes it pretty easy to read their calander. It's color coded.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/recruiting_calendars/2011/I/M%20Basketball%20Color.pdf

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
We're very near the end of our probation anyway. I'll do a happy dance.

Then we can get back to all that rampant cheating a school with our "history" should do.

cdash
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Maybe. :shrug:

Or he thought he could get away with it, and was called out on it. So in order to minimize the damage they self-reported the violation.

I don't know. Anything is possible.

But if he doesn't know how to follow the recruiting calendar, then IU is in big trouble. If he can't follow that simple of a rule, there's no way he can handle all the other crazy ones out there.

It's not a good position to be in when you're already on probation, whether he's telling the truth or not.

I just think you guys (and other fans of IU rivals) are making this a bigger deal than it is. Look how many secondary violations are committed by schools every year. The list is absurd, and the punishments are weak. It's done and over with. Move on.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Well in 2010, IU committed 18 secondary violations. For comparison, the University of Alabama comimtted 44.

Since86
10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't think anyone is making it a big deal. It's just like one of those things that make you pause and stratch your head. His whole job revolves around those dates. It's not something that coaching staffs should screw up on.

I haven't even commented on the punishment or what not. I was just more interested in your position.

cdash
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't think anyone is making it a big deal.

Then why are we still talking about this?

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think anyone is making it a big deal.

Uh huh.

Since86
10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Then why are we still talking about this?

Because you keep asking me direct questions?

EDIT: you guys act like anytime anyone say's anything remotely negative about IU like we're going to war or something.

Chill out.

cdash
10-12-2011, 03:10 PM

EDIT: you guys act like anytime anyone say's anything remotely negative about IU like we're going to war or something.

Chill out.

P4E said he needs to be punished. BRush is saying Crean intentionally broke the rules, and considering our history from the Sampson saga, is questioning Crean's judgement.

Plus, you have a history of stirring the pot, because that is just what you do. Most of the time when you post in this thread, the intent is to irritate the IU fans posting in here. I'm sure you will deny that, but we all know it is true.

Since86
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
P4E said he needs to be punished. BRush is saying Crean intentionally broke the rules, and considering our history from the Sampson saga, is questioning Crean's judgement.

Plus, you have a history of stirring the pot, because that is just what you do. Most of the time when you post in this thread, the intent is to irritate the IU fans posting in here. I'm sure you will deny that, but we all know it is true.

You'd like to think so, but I honestly don't have any issues with IU. I've told you many of times that I root for them.

I have lots and lots of down time at work. I have PD open on my brower pretty much the entire 8 hours I'm here. I like to discuss things because I'm bored, not because I like to irritate you.

If you care enough to check out my story, you'll notice my user tag will be online monday-friday from 9am to 5pm.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have any hidden ulterior motives. I don't hide my feelings.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Chill out.

Who's going to war? haha

Since86
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Who's going to war? haha

Travmil is the perfect example from a few pages ago. I make the point that IU lost to a FCS school and he starts acting like a child.

If he would have noticed, he would have read that I also added in the fact that Ball St. got beat by North Texas just a few years ago. (or it might have been last year??)

I said it was embarrasing for us, as a MAC team, so it's even more embarassing for a Big Ten team. It wasn't to sling mud.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Well I don't think I've been going to war this whole time so... :shrug:

cdash
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
You'd like to think so, but I honestly don't have any issues with IU. I've told you many of times that I root for them.

I have lots and lots of down time at work. I have PD open on my brower pretty much the entire 8 hours I'm here. I like to discuss things because I'm bored, not because I like to irritate you.

If you care enough to check out my story, you'll notice my user tag will be online monday-friday from 9am to 5pm.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have any hidden ulterior motives. I don't hide my feelings.

I'm not going to get on anyone's case for posting too much--I do the same thing.

BRushWithDeath
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
BRush is saying Crean intentionally broke the rules, and considering our history from the Sampson saga, is questioning Crean's judgement.

According to the report filed by IU on Thursday, assistant coach Tim Buckley advised Crean the previous day that he could have an off-campus contact the next day. Buckley thought Thursday was the final day of the contact period. It was the first of the evaluation period.

It's impossible for me to believe that they did not know the recruiting calendar. Every single coach in America knows the schedule! You're telling me two guys whose only job in the offseason is to recruit, do not know when they are allowed to do so? You don't think a copy of this calendar is in every basketball office in the country? The explanation just doesn't make any sense.

I do not care one bit that he did it. I think it is poor judgement but it's not like he walked into HSE with a stachel of money with the initials GH on it. However, I cannot be convinced this was an honest mistake and they just didn't know the schedule. The next time Matt Painter or Brad Stevens or Coach K or whomever commits a secondary violation, I won't care about that just as I don't care about this. If their excuse is that he didn't know the recruiting schedule, I'll say the same thing. ********.

It's not the fact that a violation occurred. It's the fact that the only easy to understand portion of the NCAA's retarded rulebook was violated. Thus, the excuse is either an outright lie or IU has the dumbest staff ever. I don't believe Crean and company are that stupid.

And fair or not, and it's clearly not, but it is amplified because of IU's history and probationary status.

Trader Joe
10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't disagree really with anything you're saying.

However, like I said, the punishment has been handled the NCAA has accepted it. I don't see why the UK blogger brought it up to begin with. Just to stir the pot I guess.

Mackey_Rose
10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't disagree really with anything you're saying.

However, like I said, the punishment has been handled the NCAA has accepted it. I don't see why the UK blogger brought it up to begin with. Just to stir the pot I guess.

If it had been Cal or Painter, you're really naive if you don't think all the IU nut jobs would have been up in arms too.

It's the nature of the business.

cdash
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
If it had been Cal or Painter, you're really naive if you don't think all the IU nut jobs would have been up in arms too.

It's the nature of the business.

Although I don't like the "nut jobs" shot, he's right. It's the nature of the beast. I can't wait for the day when Calipari vacates last year's Final Four.

Trader Joe
10-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Obviously, I get that.

BRushWithDeath
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20111013/SPORTS15/110130356/Kravitz-Tom-Crean-s-recruiting-mistake-reflects-poorly?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

For Christmas, I'm going to buy Indiana University basketball coach Tom Crean and his assistant, Tim Buckley, calendars. Maybe one of those cute kitty-cat calendars, like the one my wife has attached to our refrigerator. I might even go to the trouble of color-coding them: red for no-contact recruiting periods, yellow for evaluation periods, green for contact periods.

Granted, this isn't the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby: the secondary violation IU's basketball program reported almost immediately this week regarding the recruitment of Hamilton Southeastern's Gary Harris. The cutthroat world of high-stakes basketball recruiting is rife with egregious forms of cheating. Some schools are engaging in grand larceny; this goof-up is like failing to come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign.

But it's puzzling.

And a little bit hard to get your head around, especially for a staff that has a solid history of compliance and walked into a situation in which circumventing the rules became a way of life.

Help me out here: Was this a leap year? Are they using the Mayan calendar in the Bloomington offices?

"We had a miscommunication on Oct. 6 as to what the last day of the contact period was," Crean said Wednesday on Dan Dakich's show on WFNI-1070 AM. "My thought was that the last day of the contact period was Thursday."

How does that happen?

Two days ago, several members of The Star sports staff received information from a blogger -- he said he was a blogger, although I haven't seen the blog yet -- showing a paper trail of emails that confirmed Crean was at HSE talking to Harris on Oct. 6.

So I started to follow up and immediately searched for "NCAA basketball recruiting calendar." In a nanosecond, I found this: "Contact period is the time when a college coach may have in-person contact with a prospective student-athlete and the prospect's parents on or off the college's campus . . .''

This period ends Oct. 5.

The evaluation period begins Oct. 6.

"Evaluation period is the time a college coach may watch a prospective student-athlete play or visit the high school but cannot have any in-person conversations with the possible recruit or the parents off the college's campus . . .''

We understand the NCAA rulebook is longer and less readable than "War and Peace," and we understand that there are some picayune and generally bizarre rules that defy comprehension.

This wouldn't seem to be one of those rules, though, would it?

Shouldn't those dates be etched in the brains of every college basketball coach in America?

"It just happened; there's no excuse or let's try to rationalize it," Crean told Dakich.

"It just happened. We got screwed up on what the last day of the contact period was and it was a mistake. That's not how you break a rule if you're looking to break a rule. . . . If you're looking to circumvent something, you don't do it that way. As direct as I can put it, it was an honest mistake."

If this was a coach with a history of working the gray area of the rulebook, I would question that. And I'm guessing some of the coaches who are fighting over Harris, notably Purdue's Matt Painter and Kentucky's John Calipari, aren't sloughing this off as an innocent little administrative mistake.

If one coach gets an additional day to woo a prospect, that looks to me like someone who is getting a small competitive advantage.

If the tables were turned, you can be sure IU fans would be trashing Painter or Calipari and painting them as scofflaws.

But look at Crean's record, and it is good. He took compliance seriously all those years at Marquette. He has played by the rules since coming to Bloomington, following Dakich's noble lead and cleaning up a program that had careened out of control under former coach Kelvin Sampson.

Is this embarrassing? Absolutely. Sloppy? Clearly. Inexcusable? That, too.

But in the end, it's a secondary violation, and secondary violations happen at every school in every sport in every year. According to the NCAA, there were 3,041 secondary violations committed by Division I schools in 2010. Even Duke's Mike Krzyzewski got popped for one. They are parking tickets; you pay them and they go away. Last year, IU's athletic department committed 18 secondary violations, two by the hoops program.

This won't have any impact on the Harris recruitment, and it's hard to imagine the NCAA is going to spend more than a half-second reviewing this case. NCAA President Mark Emmert has made it clear: He doesn't want his enforcement staff wasting time chasing litterbugs.

Ultimately, IU handled this correctly; most schools don't even go public with news of self-reported secondary violations.

I'm not turning this into the college-basketball Crime of the Century, but I'm not ready to dismiss it as some kind of (oops!) minor administrative error that should be swept under the rug and ignored, either -- not with IU's recent history.

Question: If I send Crean and his staff those cute kitty-cat calendars, and they accept them, is that an NCAA violation?

Written like a true Boiler fan.

Trader Joe
10-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I didn't know Kravitz liked any Indiana sports.

cdash
10-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Written like a true Boiler fan.

There's a difference between that article, and what you said. One word: Intentionally. You repeated that Crean did it on purpose. I don't see where Kravitz says that in his column. I don't disagree with anything Kravitz says.

Since86
10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Kravitz is saying he's either a total idiot, or he did it on purpose. Either one you choose isn't good.

cdash
10-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm more inclined to believe that he is a total idiot. I've watched him coach this team for three years.

Trader Joe
10-14-2011, 11:34 AM
It's interesting to me that you consider Crean to be such a terrible coach cdash, when his national reputation among most writers is that he is one of the better basketball minds in the country.

I haven't thrown my hat into either ring yet, but I have been preaching to wait til 2012 to make a final decision.

Really?
10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I know I am not a IU fan, but I would hope any coach would be able to win with the group that is coming in 2012, most have played on the same AAU team and already have chemistry. I do not think that will really say much about how effective he can be as a coach, but if he does somehow lead them to a lackluster season then, he will definitely have to go, there should be no excuses for that.

I hope that that does not turnout to be the situation though.

cdash
10-14-2011, 01:35 PM
It's interesting to me that you consider Crean to be such a terrible coach cdash, when his national reputation among most writers is that he is one of the better basketball minds in the country.

I haven't thrown my hat into either ring yet, but I have been preaching to wait til 2012 to make a final decision.

I call it like I see it. I have been over this a hundred times before, I am not going to rehash it here. Suffice to say I expect real progress this year and major progress next year. Anything less than 20 wins with our schedule, experience, and the weaker Big Ten is a major letdown in my book. Time will tell.

Trader Joe
10-14-2011, 01:36 PM
20 wins this year huh?

cdash
10-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Look at our schedule. Go through it game by game. There are 20 wins there. I also factor in that last year's team underachieved. I fully expect 20 wins this year.

Trader Joe
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, if we don't go into the Butler game undefeated I'll probably be in a pretty bad mood. I'll admit that.

BRushWithDeath
10-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, if we don't go into the Butler game undefeated I'll probably be in a pretty bad mood. I'll admit that.

With what Butler has coming back, if you don't come out of the Butler game undefeated you should probably be in a pretty bad mood.

Trader Joe
10-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Don't necessarily disagree with that, just didn't want to rile up the Butler fans.

pacer4ever
10-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I call it like I see it. I have been over this a hundred times before, I am not going to rehash it here. Suffice to say I expect real progress this year and major progress next year. Anything less than 20 wins with our schedule, experience, and the weaker Big Ten is a major letdown in my book. Time will tell.

IMO 15 would be success and then next year jump to the 20+ number. I will be watching the most IU b ball this year than I have since Sampson's last year.

Trader Joe
10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
18 has been my goal for some time now. I can't bring myself to tack on those last two

Trader Joe
10-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Just got back from HH...

All I can say is wow. Great atmosphere. Oladipo came out performing "You got it bad" and the rest of the team as backup dancers. It was awesome and hilarious.

Attendance was 16,100...largest in the history of IU midnight madness/hoosier hysteria events.

Trader Joe
10-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Quick reaction from a talent standpoint is that, obviously the team is more talented than years past. Abell gives us a nice athletic combo guard, Etherington can shoot, and well, Zeller is Zeller, plus he looks jacked.

Biggest thing that stuck out? The team can shoot. Even Elston has developed a 3 point shot. He won his first round 3 point shoot out matchup and almost took Hulls out in the semifinals. Etherington won the 3 point contest.

Sheehey won the dunk contest with a dunk that probably could win the NBA contest if the right player did it.

D-BONE
10-16-2011, 08:20 AM
No doubt there should - there almost HAS TO BE - significant improvement this season. We're getting into the time frame where Crean really does have to show he's got the player development and coaching chops to go with the recruiting job he's done.

Assuming Zeller can contribute, even if far from his eventual zenith, then I think the question still rests with who will be the complementary front-line guy to him. Some experts claim Zeller's presence will mean major improvement from Watford. I hope that's right, but at the same time, we'll still need some help for Z inside and I view Watford as a perimeter big.

Shade
10-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Another year, another 50+ point thrashing at the hands of Wiscy...

cdash
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Quick reaction from a talent standpoint is that, obviously the team is more talented than years past. Abell gives us a nice athletic combo guard, Etherington can shoot, and well, Zeller is Zeller, plus he looks jacked.

Biggest thing that stuck out? The team can shoot. Even Elston has developed a 3 point shot. He won his first round 3 point shoot out matchup and almost took Hulls out in the semifinals. Etherington won the 3 point contest.

Sheehey won the dunk contest with a dunk that probably could win the NBA contest if the right player did it.

Elston is the X factor this year for us. I keep hearing how he is finally fully healthy, he's been working hard, etc. I always thought he could be better than he has shown, so I'm hoping he can give us more this year.

I'll be watching the development of Sheehey and Oladipo closely too. We need VO to be our defensive stopper. That is going to be his main responsibility imo. I think Remy Abell could also fill a role as a defensive ace, but I'm less confident because he's a freshman playing at a deep position and I haven't seen much of him.

cdash
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Another year, another 50+ point thrashing at the hands of Wiscy...

We toss out the term "embarassing" quite a bit with sports teams, but I feel like IU football has really earned that this year. They are nothing but a punchline.

Trader Joe
10-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Just heard this, the attendance at Hoosier Hysteria was 16,100 people on Saturday like I already said, however just found out only 9 teams in the entire country had that many people come out for actual games last year.

IU was 12th in attendance last year with 15,295 average. Pretty sure we're gonna crush that number this year.

Really?
10-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Just heard this, kind of sucks for IU but there is still a chance Keil will keep his original commitment

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=16076&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Trader Joe
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Meh, who cares.

Ownagedood
10-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Just heard this, kind of sucks for IU but there is still a chance Keil will keep his original commitment

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=16076&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ya i heard that earlier this week.... If he decommits i may have to reconsider my fandom of IU football.. They HAVE to lock up the big ones when they get the chance.. It doesn't come often when you have a great shot at a kid like this and if he commits then decommits and goes somewhere else, i believe that will be devastating to the future of IU Football... Likely never make it out of the cellar. A player of that stature however will bring in more talent and start getting the IU name out there a little more for football and we could have a solid team... Crushing if we miss that chance.

Heisenberg
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Just goes to show you how out of hand recruiting's gotten that people take these "verbal commitments" so seriously. They honestly shouldn't even be reported.

Trader Joe
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Definitely part of it, but come on, it's IU football, who can really blame him?

Sollozzo
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Why would someone commit to IU over Oklahoma and Alabama in the first place? That's the big question here.

cdash
10-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Also, things aren't looking good on the Gary Harris front for IU. Bleh.

pacer4ever
10-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Why would someone commit to IU over Oklahoma and Alabama in the first place? That's the big question here.

no kidding I really didn't think he would come. It would of took me seeing him sign on signing day to believe it. It would of been suicide for his career to go to IU over Bama.

cdash
10-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Tre Roberson looks really good. The defense looks really bad.

Sollozzo
10-22-2011, 01:29 PM
This team is beyond sad.

Shade
10-22-2011, 02:28 PM
With the way Purdue is handling Illinois so far, it's clear that we won't win another game this season.

Same old, same old.

cdash
10-22-2011, 02:55 PM
With the way Purdue is handling Illinois so far, it's clear that we won't win another game this season.

Same old, same old.

Par for the course.

Psyren
10-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Not really shocked to hear about Kiel.

I don't care what kind of connections to IU you have, when you're supposedly one of the best players in the nation, you don't commit to IU. You just don't. IU is the epitome of football failure.

Go to Alabama, Notre Dame, ANYWHERE but IU.

Now if it were basketball, IU would be a fine choice. But don't waste your college football career on IU. He wouldn't turn anything around. He'd just be a good player on yet again probably the worst team in the Big 10 (11, 12, 13, 25, whatever it is now)

Heisenberg
10-23-2011, 03:15 AM
At least IU covered (barely) against Iowa. Roberson looked like a solid little QB, makes you wonder what took so long for him to get a start.

I want Purdue to knock off one of their next 3 big boys (yeah right) to make the Bucket for a bowl birth, and hopefully Danny Hope's job (yeah right x2). A chippy battle of ineptitude would make for an entertaining postgame handshake between Wilson and Hope.

Really?
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Not really shocked to hear about Kiel.

I don't care what kind of connections to IU you have, when you're supposedly one of the best players in the nation, you don't commit to IU. You just don't. IU is the epitome of football failure.

Go to Alabama, Notre Dame, ANYWHERE but IU.

Now if it were basketball, IU would be a fine choice. But don't waste your college football career on IU. He wouldn't turn anything around. He'd just be a good player on yet again probably the worst team in the Big 10 (11, 12, 13, 25, whatever it is now)

I think he could still have a decent chance to get to the NFL if he came to IU, if he had receivers like Doss or Belcher he would definitely have a shot. As long as he has enough talent around him he would be fine.

Ben Chappell even got a shot in the NFL and he has no where near the same talent as Keil, the previous QB would have even had a chance if he did not mess up and get kicked off the team. I definitely do not think it would be a waste, I am sure IU would be middle of the conference or better if he played to his potential year in and year out.

But losses can really turn a recruit away, and that seems to be pretty much what happened in this case.

Trader Joe
10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Less than 3 weeks til basketball season!

BRushWithDeath
10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Verbal "commitments" and subsequent "de-commitments" are just one more reason why I do not follow recruiting whatsoever.

But as has been said, hard to blame him.

Since86
10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Reading through the first few pages of this thread is about 180degrees from where it is now.

Trader Joe
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Hope springs eternal and all that jazz...

BRushWithDeath
10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Did anyone else think last night's Colts game and subsequent postgame coach's press conference was stunningly similar to 2010 IU @ Wisconsin?

Jim Caldwell = Bill Lynch in so many ways it's frightning.

Trader Joe
10-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Right down to the terrible record coaching in college before getting the head coach jobs.

cdash
10-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Reading through the first few pages of this thread is about 180degrees from where it is now.

Just wait till basketball season starts. Roughly 75% of my posts in this thread will be me *****ing about Tom Crean's coaching, followed by Trader Joe arguing the other side. Ahhh, it's a winter rite of passage.

Trader Joe
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Just wait till basketball season starts. Roughly 75% of my posts in this thread will be me *****ing about Tom Crean's coaching. Ahhh, it's a winter rite of passage.

It just wouldn't be an IU season without it.