PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Earthquake

idioteque
08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Does anyone else live in an area where they felt the 5.9 earthquake today?

I work for the government, in close proximity to a lot of high value targets. My first thought was that were under attack as my office building was shaking like crazy. Running down the stairs and trying to get as far away from my building as possible, my life flashed before my eyes (never had that experience).

rexnom
08-24-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm in Connecticut and felt it but, obviously, not as bad as you guys. I was sitting at a table with some colleagues and joked, "what was that, an earthquake?"

Trophy
08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
I sure felt it.

I was sitting down thinking a truck was going by or something and it started getting worse and I can see everything rumbling like my fish tank. I got up to make sure it wasn't going to fall over.

It was my first experience with an earthquake and I didn't know how strong it was going to be. 5.9 is still pretty high, but fortunately nothing severe happened.

Day-V
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I remember there was one here in Indy 3 years ago. Believe it was a 5.2. I was working a night shift back then and woke up to feel the ground shaking a bit. Lasted maybe 30 seconds. It was.......different.

Constellations
08-26-2011, 03:59 PM
I remember there was one here in Indy 3 years ago. Believe it was a 5.2. I was working a night shift back then and woke up to feel the ground shaking a bit. Lasted maybe 30 seconds. It was.......different.

I believe I slept through that. But my friend said he thought the world was ending... :laugh:

jeffg-body
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Is there any coincidence that there was the earthquake in Colorado the same day? Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on that.

idioteque
08-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I have read stuff on the news that said the earthquakes were unrelated.

vapacersfan
08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Much like you I actually thought we were under attack initially.

After hearing it was an earthquake, I actually felt a bit of relief. Joker shook all the walls, pipes, sprinklers etc where I work, luckily I had just missed our service elevator by about 3 seconds. Also luckily, the elevator did not get stuck and my coworkers were able to get right off of it.

Actually heard we had 5 tremors yesterday, I did not feel one of them