PDA

View Full Version : Testing a new feature: "The Digest"

Hicks
02-09-2004, 12:22 AM
As you can see on the top left, something new has arrived. :pimp:

I called it "The Digest" for no other reason than it sounded good and it roughly fits what this is.

Just move the mouse over the bar to have quick, easy access to player bios, schedules, standings, scoreboards, and links to other NBA sites.

Natston
02-09-2004, 12:28 AM
It's awesome because it floats down the page... :pepper:

Southside_Pacer
02-09-2004, 12:32 AM
It's following me as I navigate the page!!! It's alive!!!! :o :o

:borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:

ROCislandWarrior
02-09-2004, 01:20 AM
t's following me as I navigate the page!!! It's alive!!!!

It's freakin me out too...

Pretty cool though

skyfire
02-09-2004, 01:34 AM
It works properly with Opera (www.opera.com) aswell, i'm impressed. Most of those dynamic menus use IE specific code. Can you give me a link to the menu's website Hicks?

Hoop
02-09-2004, 05:16 AM
It sucks, it ends up on top of each avatar. :arrgh:

Unclebuck
02-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Not a big fan of it. gets in the way

Hicks
02-09-2004, 09:02 AM

Of what? What do you do in the top left of the page that I don't? :confused:

Unclebuck
02-09-2004, 09:08 AM

Of what? What do you do in the top left of the page that I don't? :confused:

I guess nothing, overall it is OK

Ragnar
02-09-2004, 09:56 AM
I love it already. Heck I can get rid of half of my favorites because of that thing. :dance:

Unclebuck
02-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Don't listen to me, clearly I am out-voted.

Doug
02-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Works fine for me. (Linux - Fedore Core 1 with 2.6 Kernel. Mozilla 1.4.1)

I'm not usually fond of floaty things like that, but I don't mind this.

ChicagoJ
02-09-2004, 11:25 AM
It sucks, it ends up on top of each avatar. :arrgh:

If I postion the little floating box just right (over Ragner's avatar), I can understand why Tinsley kept throwing the ball away yesterday. It makes quite a blindfold! :D

ABADays
02-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Nice work Hicks. Just another great feature. When I go over to the IS board to lurk its like playing with the Atari pong game.

Mourning
02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I love it Hicks! Looks very professional and it makes finding stuff easier. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Why is nobody writing articles anymore btw? I actually enjoyed them.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Hicks
02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Nice work Hicks. Just another great feature. When I go over to the IS board to lurk its like playing with the Atari pong game.

:laugh:

As for the articles, Mourning, I think you'd have to ask the writers because I'm honestly not sure.

I'd bet, however, that if we were to be having a rockier season than we are, there would be more contraversey and thus more to talk about.

We didn't abandon the articles consciously. Hopefully there will be more later on.

BTW, I'm posting this on an iMac on campus, and they suck at displaying this forum. DREADFUL. Everything's stretched out strangley or spaced wrong, and The Digest doesn't glow and look funny. Stupid mac. :devil:

Snickers
02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Very nice, Hicks! :thumbup:

Now nobody will have an excuse for misinformed Pacers posts. It's all right there in the corner.

:mango:

Now all we need is a smiley drop-down menu. :D

Slick Pinkham
02-09-2004, 03:55 PM
:pepper:

I like it.

:cool:

Hicks
02-09-2004, 04:50 PM
If I can figure out how, one change I will make is to make whatever you click on show up in a new window instead of taking you away from the forum.

And if there's any other quick links about the Pacers you think I've missed, let me know and I can add it.

Anthem
02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Quick OT about browsers...

Is anyone using the new FireFox yet? I can't seem to find the rpms.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons/getfirefox_large2.png (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 07:54 PM
It's interesting Hicks...certainly interesting...

Natston
02-09-2004, 07:57 PM

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons/getfirefox_large2.png (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

I just downloaded it... :cool: Page loading is a little slower for me but the browser instantly opens when you click on the icon...

Hicks
02-09-2004, 07:58 PM

I just downloaded it following the link you posted.

Looks cool. They've moved the tabs from the bottom to the top, and they added Mouse3 scrolling!! (When you click the scroller the little white circle with the black up and down arrows shows up, just like in IE. That was the one feature I was really missing when I tried Mozilla before. Nice!

Now if I could just convince this thing that I don't have to have all my imported IE's switched from where they're supposed to be, to alphabetical order. :mad:

Anthem
02-09-2004, 11:54 PM

Looks cool. They've moved the tabs from the bottom to the top, and they added Mouse3 scrolling!! (When you click the scroller the little white circle with the black up and down arrows shows up, just like in IE. That was the one feature I was really missing when I tried Mozilla before. Nice!

Plus, it has cool icons! :dance: :pepper:

Natston
02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
I like to hold down shift and push down the scroll wheel to open new windows. :devil:

Doug
02-10-2004, 12:08 AM
There's a tooltip on the nba.com scoreboard that reads something like "errors in foreign movie dubbings".

Hicks
02-10-2004, 12:15 AM
There's a tooltip on the nba.com scoreboard that reads something like "errors in foreign movie dubbings".

:laugh: You're right. I'll fix that.

Hicks
02-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Fixed. :)

blanket
02-11-2004, 12:07 AM
This new feature makes the site run very slowly for me. It took about 3-4 minutes just for this thread to display! And I'm on a cable connection!

I don't think I'll be able to visit the site from my home computer if the navigation type for the digest feature stays as it is now (at least I have a super fast connection at work, but even then there is a noticable lag compared to before this feature was added).

That's my 2 cents. :neutral:

(BTW, I had to re-register here because my account was zapped when the server went down last month. ) :(

Hicks
02-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Thiste run very slowly for me. It took about 3-4 minutes just for this thread to display! And I'm on a cable connection!

I don't think I'll be able to visit the site from my home computer if the navigation type for the digest feature stays as it is now (at least I have a super fast connection at work, but even then there is a noticable lag compared to before this feature was added).

That's my 2 cents. :neutral:

(BTW, I had to re-register here because my account was zapped when the server went down last month. ) :(

Actually, the reason you lost it is because we've switched to a totally new server and had to start from scratch.

As for the Digest, I'm on cable here at home and it hasn't slowed me down. But it did seem slow when I was on campus the other day.

indytoad
02-11-2004, 12:27 AM
As for the Digest, I'm on cable here at home and it hasn't slowed me down. But it did seem slow when I was on campus the other day.

Where do you go to school, Hicks?

IndyToad
Baby back ribs...

Hicks
02-11-2004, 12:29 AM

Where do you go to school, Hicks?

IndyToad
Baby back ribs...

Ball State

kerosene
02-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Did you put some kind of fade in effect on when you come to the board?

Hicks
02-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Did you put some kind of fade in effect on when you come to the board?

:confused: The menu has faded in since it got here.