PDA

View Full Version : Michael "Mental Midget" Beasley has an Altercation with a Fan.

Lance George
08-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Michael Beasley 'Mushes' A Fan During Dyckman Park Exhibition - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/8/4/2345543/michael-beasley-punches-fan-heckler-dyckman-park-kevin-durant)

That Michael Beasley (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/35060/michael-beasley); he's so crazy! On Thursday evening, Beasley, Kevin Durant (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/24285/kevin-durant) and Serge Ibaka (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/51539/serge-ibaka) were all at Dyckman Park for some kind of exhibition game. Ibaka and Durant were playing for a Nike sponsored team while Beasley was on the other side of the court in a battle of NBA stars. As you can imagine, the game was a serious draw, with fans packed into the park to catch a glimpse of the NBA players in attendance. But what began as a fun game turned into the Michael Beasley show, and not in a good way.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg

It was all well and good until Beasley got tired of being heckled and "mushed" a fan in the face. Take it away, Stefan Bondy (http://www.twitter.com/NYDNInterNets).
Not-so-bright Michael Beasley was bothered by heckling from a spectator. Beasley walked up and mushed him in the face. "I get paid to do this." Beasley was shouting at the spectator before the incident. It stopped play for about 10 minutes
I have no idea what mushing is, but I'm going to assume it's a face-push.
Even better: Bondy said Nike cameras were there documenting Durant. If this means we'll get to have video of Beasley screaming about getting paid to play ball before going after a fan, I'm willing to shell out money for this documentary, or whatever Nike was making.

Kemo
08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Doesn't bother me.. It is equivalent to them playing a game at Rucker Park as far as I'm concerned.. Now if it were during the regular season, and/or done to a fan at a game.. then ya , that is different...

The only people who should have any real issue over this small incident, besides the guy he face-mushed, would be Nike or whoever sponsored the exhibition ..

Sometimes, at them games like that, and at Rucker , some of the people , aka fans in attendance, are usually pretty rowdy and unruly and disrespectful as hell ...
The obnoxious twit probably deserved it .. and while Beasley shouldn't have done it, and showed more restraint, he's only human...
.. at least he didn't punch the guy ..
Believe me when I say , that there are people that go to them things, for the sole purpose of getting under a player's skin, in hopes of suing and gaining a payday from the player going off and punching or beating the crap out of them...

daschysta
08-04-2011, 11:48 PM
It's not like this is the first time beasley has proven he's a moron that can't handle being a high profile individual. It's another dumb move in a long string of dumb moves. Guy is a headache through and thuogh.

cdash
08-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Yup, he's batshit crazy alright.

Since86
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
How you treat fans only matters when it's during an actual NBA game? Wow, that's news to me.

It really doesn't matter if the fan deserved it or not. I think John Green deserved to get his *** beat for throwing a cup of beer. But the NBA is based around the fans. They're the ones who pay for your shoes. Your jersey. Tickets. Concessions. They're the one's who wait an hour after the game standing in the snow just to get the chance a NBA player will give them an autograph.

Fans are everything to the NBA, and you can't go around assualting fans, regardless if they deserve it or not.

http://youtu.be/TVXqJ3A6NWw

ballism
08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
When a guy writes

Doesn't bother me..
<...>
while Beasley shouldn't have done it, and showed more restraint, he's only human...

and you read it as "you can go around assaulting fans", you aren't reading it right.

Since86
08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
No, I read it just fine. My post is directed at him, and the people that thanked it.

That attitude just boggles my mind.

ballism
08-05-2011, 10:58 AM
No, I read it just fine.

No, you obviously did not. :)

ballism
08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
There's a video now.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHecSDRrem4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love Durant's demeanor.
What is that guy waving at Beasley's face btw, is it his soda straw?

ensergio
08-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't want that guy in my team.

Lou Bega
08-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Beasley is a good player, a competitor, & most of all a gentleman.

Are we even sure that is the real Michael Beasley? Youtube videos are not very credible anyway.

Pacergeek
08-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. This fan got what he deserved. I'm sick and tired of these wannabe tough guys. People need to learn that you can't talk trash to people that you don't know.

daschysta
08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
You sure as heck can't physically assault someone for talking that "trash" especially if you're a professional athlete. Physical violence is never "ok" in that situation, you make millions of dollars to play basketball, and you can't let your game do the talking?

Pacergeek
08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
You sure as heck can't physically assault someone for talking that "trash" especially if you're a professional athlete. Physical violence is never "ok" in that situation, you make millions of dollars to play basketball, and you can't let your game do the talking?

It depends what was said. There are boundaries what you say to people. Whatever was said had to have been offensive. I can't see beasley fighting a fan over nothing.

daschysta
08-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I doubt it was any worse than what alot of other athletes hear on a regular basis. Also i've heard that basically he was being called "kevin durants b****". A basketball related insult. He's a moron for fighting a fan over it, especially when ti was a filmed event. Also beasley has done enough idiotic things in his short career to give up the benefit of the doubt. When you're a high profile guy you can't go around speeding with weed in your car anymore, get into fights with fans over "disses", and stupid things that would normally just warrant being called a moron. Fact is you get paid to be a public spectacle, you have to be able to deal with insults without resulting to assault... Should be common sense, I don't care what anyone said to you.

Since86
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
It depends what was said. There are boundaries what you say to people. Whatever was said had to have been offensive. I can't see beasley fighting a fan over nothing.

I can call you any name I want. You cannot put your hands on me.

If you can't handle hecklers, then you should find a different profession other than entertainment.

Stryder
08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't know...in that situation, with the crowd essentially on the court, I would expect more of that to actually happen. How does one play ball with others (fans) standing on the court?

Lou Bega
08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Beasley goes to the dudes face and the dude keeps on yapping in Beasley's Face. It was staged a man isnt going to fall that far back w/ a little shove. Beasley is not Ricardo Mayorga.

Now people are talking Beasley cause nobody is interested in Hodge/Tebow/LBJ twitter beef. Thank God the Yanks & Red Sox play this wknd so ESPN has something else to air.

Lou Bega
08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Would members of the KKK be allowed to sit courtside @ an NBA Game in full outfit w/ veil over their head?

Stryder
08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Would members of the KKK be allowed to sit courtside @ an NBA Game in full outfit w/ veil over their head?

WTF?!? You're a strange character.

ballism
08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
It's unprofessional. There are also limits to everybody.

There was a player at a local team over here who once went to stands and nearly punched a fan. The fan was shouting racist slurs and making monkey sounds at him throughout all game (the player was black). Security was passive. Still unprofessional? Heck yes. Yet most good people would be unprofessional in that situation. I can sympathize.

Beasley does not strike me as an aggressive individual. Neither based on off-court stories nor on NBA demeanor. More to the opposite.

Gamble1
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM

If you can't handle hecklers, then you should find a different profession other than entertainment.
I agree with that but I think a ticket only buys so much as well. Also no one knows what was said if there is a physical threat (illegal) being thrown out there or not.

Personally I think fans are too close to the court and get away with way to much. A work enviroment doesn't have to be so hostile IMO and changes could prevent fans from incitng violent acts.

Edit: Just because I buy a movie ticket doesn't give me the right to yell and scream the entire time without getting kicked out for disturbing everyone else.

Since86
08-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree with that but I think a ticket only buys so much as well. Also no one knows what was said if there is a physical threat (illegal) being thrown out there or not.

Personally I think fans are too close to the court and get away with way to much. A work enviroment doesn't have to be so hostile IMO and changes could prevent fans from incitng violent acts.

If a threat had been made, then he needed to go to security. Unless he was phsyically assualted first, he has no legal grounds to lay his hands on someone, period.

There's no exceptions.

Did anyone watch the video link? It's a Dave Chappelle skit about how people would rather "keep it real" and then have the consequences of their actions, rather than doing the smart thing and walking away.

Pretty spot on, with this situation.

EDIT: And just because you're screaming doesn't give me the rights to phsyically assualt you.

EDIT2: I'm not arguing in favor of the hecklers actions. I'm arguing against Beasley's actions.

MnvrChvy
08-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Legally, sure. IMO that shouldn't be the case. If you're a man, you better be able to back whatever checks your mouth is signing. I don't taunt giants because in my head I would expect them to react to it. I know I'd have my tail handed to me. I don't expect someone with a badge or league credentials to step in and intervene on my behalf.
For the record, I don't like Beasley and I laugh because this is him. But to me the punk is the problem, not Beasley. He's there to play basketball. The punk is there is to cause trouble. Kick him out of the park and there are no more problems.

BTW, this is just one more reason for this lockout to end ASAP. The teams need to be able to "speak" with their players and make sure they maintain a friendly image.

Since86
08-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Well then, I just found someone I can make an easy buck off of.

Eddie Gill
08-05-2011, 02:38 PM

According to Spike Lee, that was essentially the scene at Market Square Arena in 94.

MnvrChvy
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Well then, I just found someone I can make an easy buck off of.

You're right. And you could.

It's just that I don't see that as a good thing for society overall. I appreciate protecting free speech, but I also believe people should be held personally responsible for their own actions rather than law enforcement or other organizations shielding them from it. It's one thing to openly share your ideas and another thing to purposefully try to draw someone into an altercation with the goal of robbing them of their money.
I get that this isn't the way this country works today and that there have been lots of good reasons for the change. This guy just highlights one of the bad by-products of the road we've taken.

Pacergeek
08-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Since86
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Even if what the heckler said was against the law, it still doesn't give Beasley the right to put his hands on him. The only time you can do that is in self defense, and clearly, this wasn't a case of that.

You can try to hand out excuses all day long about how the heckler was wrong, but you have to admit that Beasley is wrong too.

Gamble1
08-05-2011, 03:10 PM
If a threat had been made, then he needed to go to security. Unless he was phsyically assualted first, he has no legal grounds to lay his hands on someone, period.

There's no exceptions.

EDIT: And just because you're screaming doesn't give me the rights to phsyically assualt you.
I am not a lawyer and I assume you aren't either but it really depends on state law and I am not sure what New York state law is concerning this.

For example in Conn.
A person is justified in using reasonable physical force on another person to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force.

Many states are adopting a law which came from Flordia called the castle doctrine which means your duty to retreat from your belief of imminent danger is rescinded. Meaning if you came to my workplace and threaten me with physical violence I don't have to retreat from you. Of course the matter of which I protect myself from you is up to threat made and what I believe is your reasonable ability to carry it out.

Again each state is different and even if they have the castle law in place or something like it can differ what is legal or illegal. Much of the time it refers to deadly force in protecting yourself in your home (castle) but some states are broadening the terms and appling it to workplaces or your "right" to be in a public place.

Self defense law isn't cut and dry and this is a very short clip. I don't know what happened but like I said the NBA court or any venue like this can do a better job with preventing a hostile work place for its entertainers. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-r-0052.htm

Even if what the heckler said was against the law, it still doesn't give Beasley the right to put his hands on him. The only time you can do that is in self defense, and clearly, this wasn't a case of that.
If Beasely is taken to court for this I bet you this is what he argues. Before the face push the guy was talking with a raised closed fist.

ChristianDudley
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
He's still an idiot and he still is a child inside of a man's body. And people wanted to trade our beloved Danny Granger for this punk. Danny deserves better than that lol.

Since86
08-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I think you need to reread what you quoted Gamble. Right after the word you highlighted is another pretty important word. Phsyical.

Beasley is the one who approached the fan, not the other way around.

EDIT: And it wasn't a closed fist. He cleary was holding an object though, although I doubt they'd consider a straw a deadly weapon.

Gamble1
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I think you need to reread what you quoted Gamble. Right after the word you highlighted is another pretty important word. Phsyical.

Beasley is the one who approached the fan, not the other way around.
Again if the threat was a physical one and the fan was the aggressor (made the threat) then in some states Beasely can approach the threat to defend himself. Like I said before if you came into my workplace and threaten me 10 feet or 20 feet away with physical violence in some states as long as I can prove that I "felt" endangered I can approach that threat with reasonable force. If you threaten to punch me I can punch you first in some states as long as it happens in the place they make exceptions for workplace, home or public area.

I think its clear that the fan was the aggressor in this incident but I guess we can disagree that he had a closed fist in the end. I see his index finger pull in before beasely looks around like idiot and does the face push.

Since86
08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
The fan is the aggressor? He might be the person who started it, but definitely not the aggressor.

maragin
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I watched it and didn't think it was a big deal.

MTM
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM
According to Spike Lee, that was essentially the scene at Market Square Arena in 94.

The guy who directed Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the Knicks, Dan Klores, also portrayed the scene at MSA as a near riot. He had a way of grabbing these 2-3 second shots of rabid hoosier fans during the Pacers-Knicks games at MSA - almost always white fans - going bat crazy at the Knicks. It was shot and retold as if the KKK itself was hosting the game, and certainly played on the Hollywood stereotype from the movie Hoosiers and others that the Pacers fans were out of control. It was a powerful part of that documentary.

Man I miss MSA though. No game has ever felt as intense to me as the playoff games there felt.

King Tuts Tomb
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
That actually looked really cool when Beasley pushed the guy in the face. It looked like a movie.

croz24
08-05-2011, 05:48 PM

because reggie, bird, jordan, magic, kobe, shaq, barkley etc etc etc NEVER got into fights... if beasley is as crazy as most suggest for smoking some pot and giving someone a light push to the face at a street game, then wtf was bird?

NapTonius Monk
08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
EDIT: And it wasn't a closed fist. He cleary was holding an object though, although I doubt they'd consider a straw a deadly weapon.

http://theawesomer.com/photos/2011/07/072811_titanium_drinking_straw_t.jpg

mildlysane
08-05-2011, 06:22 PM
because reggie, bird, jordan, magic, kobe, shaq, barkley etc etc etc NEVER got into fights... if beasley is as crazy as most suggest for smoking some pot and giving someone a light push to the face at a street game, then wtf was bird?
This is true. They got pretty violent back in the day.

graphic-er
08-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't know...in that situation, with the crowd essentially on the court, I would expect more of that to actually happen. How does one play ball with others (fans) standing on the court?

I dont know why any professional player would ever submit themselves to that kind of environment. Lame security that is to busy watching the games to actually prevent anything from happening. Anybody could walk in there with one of those knife handled hair picks and stab the **** out of a player.

But it is a scene where physical intimidation is what gets respect, so most people would probably not mess with a really tall NBA player who could lay them out in seconds.

Pingu
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Anybody could walk in there with one of those knife handled hair picks and stab the **** out of a player.

True, but that's the case for most sporting events for which spectators don't have to go through metal detectors. In tennis, soccer, rugby, baseball, football etc. it's pretty damn easy to jump on the pitch and approach the players. The fact that it was at Dyckman Park in NYC doesn't make it any more likely that a fan would stab a player (see: Monica Seles).

Anthem
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Man, Beasley is a beast.

We should trade Granger for him.

Pingu
08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Man, Beasley is a beast.

We should trade Granger for him.

Agreed. Danny's not enough of a leader. He'd never shove a fan in the face to defend his teammates.

BlueNGold
08-05-2011, 11:39 PM

There's multiple reasons why people don't like Beasley and few reasons why people might dislike the players you list. While all of those guys got into fights, most of them were only with players in the context of heated competition. That's considered part of the game by most red blooded American males. Also, those players already built up a "bank account" with the public by playing the game extremely well, providing their teams leadership, keeping off drugs or keeping them under control and also having a likable personality instead of a sour puss. Fact is, I don't care for Bird much but he did respect the game, provided leadership, played unselfishly and played the game at an extremely high level. Beasley does none of that.

The only thing I gather from this story is that I'm happy he's not a Pacer.

Sandman21
08-05-2011, 11:53 PM
The guy who directed Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the Knicks, Dan Klores, also portrayed the scene at MSA as a near riot. He had a way of grabbing these 2-3 second shots of rabid hoosier fans during the Pacers-Knicks games at MSA - almost always white fans - going bat crazy at the Knicks. It was shot and retold as if the KKK itself was hosting the game, and certainly played on the Hollywood stereotype from the movie Hoosiers and others that the Pacers fans were out of control. It was a powerful part of that documentary.

Man I miss MSA though. No game has ever felt as intense to me as the playoff games there felt.

If I remember right, he was using footage from ALL OVER the late 90s era at MSA at the wrong times. Even when Reggie gets drafted, he's using footage from the late 90s of dejected fans! One of them supposedly dejected over us drafting Reggie over Alford is wearing a REGGIE FLO-JO jersey!:laugh:

HC
08-06-2011, 10:18 AM
My opinion is this....when you know the environment you are walking into, which Beasley does because I know at the least he played in Ruckers years ago, then you should be prepared for the hecklers. If you can't handle it, be a professional and stay home. Don't go out and act a fool.

rel
08-06-2011, 01:18 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A_sJgQ-Tek0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A_sJgQ-Tek0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

here's highlights of the actual game

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2011, 03:46 PM

The chance that this works this way in reality is about zero. There are always verbal lines and people do get emotional.

The idea that it's 0% verbal to 100% physical, just a massive either/or gulf of on or off is crazy.

There is stab you contact, punch you contact, push you contact...you know, levels. And there are "you aren't a very good player" and "F You and your w**** mother who I just f*** last night and she told me you were a failed abortion". Equal statements? Hardly.

That last statement and a face shove aren't exactly miles apart in how you are treating someone. I would not equate doing a face shove to someone saying that 2nd statement to someone stabbing you in the face for saying they can't make a free throw.

I just hate all this black and white stuff in these debates. If it was that simple we'd have a whole lot less fighting in this world.

I'm not even defending B-Easy here because who knows what was said, but it was clearly going back and forth just prior to that and he even appears to be pointing over to security or someone to have the guy booted out before he turns around and goes back at him.

This isn't "suddenly he just flipped out". This is provocation and it's pretty common in that type of environment. This is one of the risks with having high profile players in an environment where people with potentially very little to lose can interact with them in a negative way.

And if you don't think a guy like Durant could even get his buttons pushed you're crazy. More tolerant? Without a doubt, but there are still limits even in his world.

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
PS - have any of you actually watched Hoosiers lately?

Those clean cut kids in the greatest sports film ever about the upstanding basketball tradition had several fights during the story.

People love to cite that film, love some of the clips from it, but conveniently forget how much fun they got out of laughing about "I got in a good one" (whatever the exact quote is) after a player is given a blind sided punch.

Hardy har har, those were the rough and tumble days of hot, cramped gyms on a Friday night when emotions were high. The good old days of respecting the game and good sportsmanship. Nothing like these gangster kids of today.

The acceptance of one vs the repulsion of the other is disturbing to me.

spreedom
08-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Nice flop by that heckler. I have no problem with Beasley's actions here.

Doug
08-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I must admit, I couldn't really care less about this one way or another.

Doug
08-07-2011, 12:07 AM
But I cared enough to post, not once but twice. Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think?

Anthem
08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
But I cared enough to post, not once but twice. Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think?
It's really not. Neither is rain on your wedding day.

ksuttonjr76
08-07-2011, 01:38 PM
IMHO, the inscident is not even a big deal. The incident is nothing more than Bealsey wanting to disrespect the heckler in frront of his hometown.

I put this in the same category of "You talk trash to me...I talk trash to you...You say something that's kind out-of-line...I throw a viscious dunk on you in the next plan."

Where I come from, slapping or pushing someone in their face is more of a sign that you're NOT scared of the other person.

ilive4sports
08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
It's really not. Neither is rain on your wedding day.

Now thats just funny.

As for this whole thing, it wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't another dumb thing that Beasley has done. Dude just needs to grow up already.

Los Angeles
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Spike certainly had a lot of irrational fear inflating his perceptions, but you know what? I was there. There was some repugnant **** being yelled out in that crowd, especially outside. It was a tiny minority of people, but it just takes one.

Point is, it happened. My own uncle couldn't stop calling Ewing an "ignorant monkey".

Knicks vs. Hicks was a well earned label. Indiana needs to own up to this stuff, My uncle needs to own up. But to this day he still believes he didn't do anything wrong.

Los Angeles
08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Forget it.

Natston
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Forget it.

Was your uncle the John Lennon of racists during the 90's?

:flirt:

Los Angeles
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
He had round glasses, so yes.

Yes he was.

:D

Since86
08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Now thats just funny.

As for this whole thing, it wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't another dumb thing that Beasley has done. Dude just needs to grow up already.

This. A thousand times this.

To those saying it's not a big deal, does anything ever add up? If this were an isolated incident, we would have a couple of posts about it, and then the thread would die off. But this is Beasley we're talking about.

flox
08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
No one wants to comment on how Beas' team won?

Lou Bega
08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Would Travis Henry (2011) help the Colts backfield more than Cool Beans would help the Pacers roster?

BlueNGold
08-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Imagine for a moment March of 2012.

Snow is still on the ground, ice on the roads. You haven't seen an NBA game in nearly a year. ...and the only NBA news for weeks has been another Beasley incident.

BillS
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Imagine for a moment March of 2012.

Snow is still on the ground, ice on the roads. You haven't seen an NBA game in nearly a year. ...and the only NBA news for weeks has been another Beasley incident.

You thank whatever deities you hold dear that it wasn't a Lance Stephenson incident...

BlueNGold
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
You thank whatever deities you hold dear that it wasn't a Lance Stephenson incident...

I originally had it "Beasley or Stephenson incident". Seriously.

I should have left it as-is.

08-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Doesn't bother me.. It is equivalent to them playing a game at Rucker Park as far as I'm concerned.. Now if it were during the regular season, and/or done to a fan at a game.. then ya , that is different...

The only people who should have any real issue over this small incident, besides the guy he face-mushed, would be Nike or whoever sponsored the exhibition ..

I have a contract in my line of work that's says I'm responsible for whatever I do outside of the office because I am a representative. In the same way Beasley represents his company wrong, right, or indifferent. If Daniels and Tinsley are ridding the hoods of cars at a nap town strip club it reflects on the views and values of the organization.