PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert and the Jamaican team

Scot Pollard
08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
So I think we all remember last year, Roy was playing on/working out with the Jamaican team.

Haven't heard from Roy about it since.

Is Roy actually a citizen of Jamaica? If he were to play for a country, could he not play for the USA?

Wikipedia has him listed as Jamaican, not American.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2vttzs7.jpg

His nationality might be Jamaican, but he's an American first because he was born here.

I don't get it? Is a false statement by Wikipedia? It's not a very trustworthy site so it could be.

If anyone can clear this up or I might have to ask Roy himself sometime during the season (hopefully).

ballism
08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Roy Hibbert is a native and citizen of Jamaica. In November, 1970, he illegally entered the United States by paying someone to drive him across the Canadian border into New York. Shortly thereafter, in May 1971, Hibbert "married" Mattie Martin, an American citizen. At this point, the immigration authorities were still unaware of Hibbert's presence in the United States.

I always thought Roy looked older! *cough cough*

---

As for your question about team USA...
You can't swap teams after you hit 17. If you play for a team in any FIBA event after 17th birthday, you are committed for life.
So no, he can't play both for States and Jamaica at this point.
A few years back Puerto Rico wanted Melo and he refused for that exact reason.

Idk if Roy already has dual citizenship or not. However... I'd bet Jamaica will be happy to grant it if he wants to represent them.
So, it's really up to Roy.

There are no legal hurdles from FIBA. There are some limitations. I believe FIBA only allows 1 spot per national team for dual citizens not born there, and for naturalized players. There are some age exceptions that don't apply in Hibbert's case.

1 spot isn't much, but Hibbert would easily be Jamaica's biggest star, so...

Scot Pollard
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Found an article stating that he is also Jamaican registered.

His parents are natives of the island.

So I guess Wikipedia is somewhat right. He's still of an more American though.

It was discussed on the board last year.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1022907

I should've checked.

Scot Pollard
08-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Same goes for guys like Joakim Noah (France) and Chris Kaman (Germany).

idioteque
08-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I love how people here are trying to define Roy Hibbert's personal nationalistic feelings. It is going to be a long lockout.

ballism
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I love how people here are trying to define Roy Hibbert's personal nationalistic feelings. It is going to be a long lockout.

For many people FIBA matters every summer.

redfoster
08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Hoya2aPacer: I want to clarify to those on PD I am an American who played on the Jamaican team. Wikipedia has it wrong. That really grinds my gears.

https://twitter.com/hoya2apacer/status/98928345722519552

LetsTalkPacers
08-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Hoya2aPacer: I want to clarify to those on PD I am an American who played on the Jamaican team. Wikipedia has it wrong. That really grinds my gears.

https://twitter.com/hoya2apacer/status/98928345722519552
u beat me to it.

Scot Pollard
08-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Roy!

ballism
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I had no idea Roy actually follows these forums. Or maybe he got this through friends.

I hope we aren't contributing to all the mood swings with "Roy is MIP, no, trade Roy" episodes. :blush:

MrSparko
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Whew for a second there I thought Hibbert was stealing our boys' jobs.

Pacergeek
08-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I want to take back every negative thing I have ever said regarding #55. Roy reads PD.

Kemo
08-03-2011, 10:24 PM
I need to get my twitter up and running, and figure out how to message someone directly..

I don't know if Big Roy likes rap much or not , but if he does , I'd like to send him my album in mp3 form , for him to check out ..

Sometime between now, and this fall, I was planning on producing a beat, and writing/recording an Indiana Pacers specific track.... Something that I could try and get in the right hands in the Pacer's marketing department for them to use in Pacers commercials and events ..

With all the awesome people here on P.D. , and players/people from the Pacer's front office who frequent here, maybe I will have some luck getting help with making this happen ..

On a side note, something cool I wanted to share with ya'll , is that my dude, Tone-Z , done the official rap/rock theme song for the FX tv series Justified ..

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Df347-bEKUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I dunno if I ever shared that with any of you all here at PD , but I figured this post is as good as any to do so ..

Also, here is a song we produced beat, mixed/mastered and recorded in our lil studio for my friend, and fellow group member named Majik Duce ... This is one of his solo songs..

Warning, there is a bit of foul language .... .. but I think any of ya'll who like rap will dig the track ..

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/56uyNUdNIbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But anyways, back on topic ...
I can definitely see Roy being the best Center on a Jamaican team if he ever does play for them in the future ...
I'd personally rather see him play for Team USA though .. But I'll take what I can get .. lol

Lou Bega
08-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I want to take back every negative thing I have ever said regarding #55. Roy reads PD.

I nominate this as softest post of the year.

LetsTalkPacers
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I need to get my twitter up and running, and figure out how to message someone directly..

I don't know if Big Roy likes rap much or not , but if he does , I'd like to send him my album in mp3 form , for him to check out ..

Sometime between now, and this fall, I was planning on producing a beat, and writing/recording an Indiana Pacers specific track.... Something that I could try and get in the right hands in the Pacer's marketing department for them to use in Pacers commercials and events ..

With all the awesome people here on P.D. , and players/people from the Pacer's front office who frequent here, maybe I will have some luck getting help with making this happen ..

On a side note, something cool I wanted to share with ya'll , is that my dude, Tone-Z , done the official rap/rock theme song for the FX tv series Justified ..

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Df347-bEKUQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

I dunno if I ever shared that with any of you all here at PD , but I figured this post is as good as any to do so ..

Also, here is a song we produced beat, mixed/mastered and recorded in our lil studio for my friend, and fellow group member named Majik Duce ... This is one of his solo songs..

Warning, there is a bit of foul language .... .. but I think any of ya'll who like rap will dig the track ..

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/56uyNUdNIbw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

I can definitely see Roy being the best Center on a Jamaican team if he ever does play for them in the future ...
I'd personally rather see him play for Team USA though .. But I'll take what I can get .. lol

Are you really trying to promote your stuff in a thread you think Roy Hibbert may have read. SMH

tfarks
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
There's no promotion like shameless self promotion.

Don't be jealous when Kemo gets his 1st million by this time next year

Scot Pollard
08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Well it looks like Wikipedia has it correct now.

ballism
08-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Well it looks like Wikipedia has it correct now.

It still seems wrong - only it's the other extreme side now. :)
It went from Jamaican to American. And it should be American / Jamaican.
Same as Chris Kaman is American / German, or Deng is British / Sudanese, Ibaka is Spanish / Congolese, etc.

pacer4ever
08-05-2011, 11:28 AM

No way in hell Roy can ever make team USA. Even Roy said that himself in a interview as the reason he plays for Jamaica.

90'sNBARocked
08-05-2011, 02:27 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Df347-bEKUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/56uyNUdNIbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yo Kemo

Lets hook your boy up with Roy and he can and some reggae tip to the hip hop like back in the day with Mad Lion or Beanie Man

Roots and Culture, bo bo bo

:)

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I'll stand by my statement that I wanted to fight JOB...although I did wimp out on that at the Orlando game when I saw that somehow he was still a bit taller than me. Still he was within reach and I probably could have coughed up the bail money, so I'm kinda a candy*** it turns out.

Still a better coach though. ;)