PDA

View Full Version : Why I can't listen to Derek Schultz on XL950. Update: Schultz moving to 1260 with Query

bphil
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Sorry, but I had to make a new thread for this. I know I'm going to get killed for this post because everyone here loves this guy, and I have nothing against him as a person because I don't know him, but I absolutely cannot listen to him on the radio and here's why...

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Anthony%20Masons%20Haircut

That is his profile page on SBnation, and his description says "Knicks fan that grew up in CT now stranded in Indianapolis." Stranded. Really.

The guy hates our town and hates our teams... how in the world does he have a local radio show here? It's almost embarrassing to me. Maybe I'm shallow and petty, but I refuse to listen to this guy, and I guess I'm a little surprised that I seem to be the only one who feels this way...?

MnvrChvy
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I have never listened to the guys show so I should just shut my mouth, but I agree with you. It irks me to listen to people with disdain for where they find themselves. If he doesn't like Indy, then please pursue greener pastures. Otherwise, it seems likely that Indy is the place that provides the best career/life he can get at this point, so don't bemoan it.

Unclebuck
08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't see why that would make you not want to listen to him. (although I disagree with your idea that he hates the local teams I do not hear him say anything that leads me to think he hates the local teams)

I tend to listen to him because he talks about the Pacers and the NBA more than the other two stations.

Pacers24Colts12
08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
From what I have gathered since he took over the show (listen to him daily) he does not loathe Indiana. He hardly ever talks Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers...or any of his other teams. He will talk about them for a brief second. He always talks Pacers and Colts, IU Basketball, Butler, Notre Dame. You should give him a shot, to me he covers the NBA the best.

BRushWithDeath
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't see why that would make you not want to listen to him.

The fact that his station's signal is shoddy at best and entirely nonexistent at worst makes me not want to listen to him.

Hicks
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I know I'm going to get killed for this post because everyone here loves this guy

We do? I'm not sure I've even heard of him before now, and I don't recall others discussing him. Maybe in the college threads I rarely look at? This comment really confused me.

That is his profile page on SBnation, and his description says "Knicks fan that grew up in CT now stranded in Indianapolis." Stranded. Really.

The guy hates our town and hates our teams... how in the world does he have a local radio show here? It's almost embarrassing to me. Maybe I'm shallow and petty, but I refuse to listen to this guy, and I guess I'm a little surprised that I seem to be the only one who feels this way...?

I've never listened to him, nor was I planning to... but I'll certainly keep this in mind. That's ridiculous of him and the station.

Day-V
08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I like him because he's the only one in the afternoons that really talks Pacers on an extended level. I could give 2 ***** where he's from, what teams he's for, or what he thinks of the city. I just want good radio.

MrSparko
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey, that's just like your opinion, man.

Pacers24Colts12
08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't know why bphil feels the need to state this in every thread he gets a chance, and to start new topics. Personally, I feel this should be moved to the Market Square forum since it's not really Pacer related.

able
08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
it's more or less a hhgttg referal (stranded on earth)

duke dynamite
08-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Schultz did claim on Twitter today that he believes in the LJ 4-point play...and that it was actually a real foul on Antonio.

Roaming Gnome
08-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Schultz did claim on Twitter today that he believes in the LJ 4-point play...and that it was actually a real foul on Antonio.

Well, it was a foul on Antonio.... It was the "continuation" that most have trouble with.

MagicRat
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
it's more or less a hhgttg referal (stranded on earth)

Hopefully he has his towel.

Mr_Smith
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, I don't listen to him.....signal is weak everywhere in the city. 1070 the fan all the time for me.

rel
08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
wow...i clicked on the thread thinking it said Detlef Schrempf...i can't read

bphil
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
wow...i clicked on the thread thinking it said Detlef Schrempf...i can't read

I would definitely listen to a show hosted by Detlef Schrempf.

Grover
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I would definitely listen to a show hosted by Detlef Schrempf.I think he does do a show down in Pawnee.

Pacers24Colts12
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Derek is going to 1260 with Jake Query starting on August 15th.

bphil
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Derek is going to 1260 with Jake Query starting on August 15th.

Just found an article about that here...

http://www.vigilantsports.com/2011/08/02/jake-query-to-replace-mark-patrick-on-wnde/

Says Schultz is going to be the producer which is where he belongs. Query is from Indy, graduated from NC. Works for me.

Unclebuck
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I have always liked Jake and have thought he was worthy of having his own show.

Says Schultz will have an on-air presense as the show's producer.

I assume that means XL 950 is not doing a local show

Pacers24Colts12
08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Why wouldn't you assume that XL950 will find a replacement for Schultz?

Stryder
08-03-2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110803/SPORTS/110803032/WNDE-1260-hires-new-afternoon-sports-team?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Yup as reported above.

Unclebuck
08-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I updated the thread title

Speed
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Not a fan of Query, kind of a know-it-all. Comes across arrogant, at little angryish, but not in a funny way, more in a compensating sort of way. At least thats how he sounded on WIBC and when he's filled in for others. Maybe he'll be better now, who knows.

Sandman21
08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
None of them got anything on these two excuses for radio sports talk jocks:

http://youtu.be/j9siBpK4ZO0

More info:
http://www.vigilantsports.com/2011/08/11/zakk-and-jack-unprofessional-and-classless-while-interviewing-coach-kevin-wilson/

I've heard high schoolers with more radio skill than Jack and some guy named Zakk.

Day-V
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I actually thought that was Kevin Wilson's fault, there.....

Sandman21
08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
You don't hang up on your interviewee and then rip on him. Dakich, on the other hand, interviewed Wilson a few hours later and he actually did a pretty good job on it. Zakk and Jack are two overgrown teenagers on air to me.

bphil
08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
OK, I'm absolutely not a fan of the Zakk and Jack show, I particularly can't stand the Zakk clown who is another (terrible) radio host who is constantly ripping Indy even though he lives and works here.

HOWEVER... if you actually listen to the broadcast of the interview with Kevin Wilson, they were not ripping him or the IU program at all before he came on the show. The ONLY thing that was even remotely negative was Jack's comment that IU never scored against the Illini when he played there, and that was probably the truth because let's face it, IU has sucked for a long, long time.

Other than that, the guys were talking positively about Bloomington and the school, and Jack even mentioned that his kids are both going there and how he loves it down there. And then Kevin comes on and just acts like a complete d!ck for seemingly no reason.

Bizarre.

Sandman21
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
IU scored something like 52 points against the Illini when Jack was there.

bphil
08-11-2011, 09:04 PM
IU scored something like 52 points against the Illini when Jack was there.

Ha ha, if that's true, then it's really, really funny.

Let me also say this... Zakk and Jack's reaction to what happened was idiotic. That said, I think Kevin Wilson was also in the wrong for being so pissy about nothing.

The thing is, there's probably nobody who really knows about this or even cares... no one listens to that show, and no one follows IU football, so...

I have no idea why I'm still typing.

Sandman21
08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Indystar says its true. Jack was 3-0 against IU, but he definitely heard the fight song more than once while he was there.

Lou Bega
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
JMV was on this point all show yesterday. It was very annoying. I know he is boys w/ Trudeu and was trying to help his buddy get some pub!! I do not know what matters less in the world IU Football or Jack Trudeau.

Does Trudeau personally know Kevin Wilson? I say No. Kevin Wilson may is a very intense individual you do not joke around w/ ie Tyler Hansbrough. He stood up for himself. I give Wilson a lot of respect in the situation. He isnt a punchline or a joke. He preaches to his players the same, he needs to lead by example as well.

This Rivals rankings have been going on for a little less than a decade and IU just landed their highest national recruit ever in the QB Kiel. Kevin Wilson has everything to do with this.

Best line was Kevin Wilson telling Trudeau he put up 61 on the Illini when he was coaching @ NorthWestern.

Kegboy
08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Indystar says its true. Jack was 3-0 against IU, but he definitely heard the fight song more than once while he was there.

Trudeau started one game in Bloomington in 1984, winning 34-7, and watched as a freshman in 1982 when they won 48-7. So yes, he has heard the IU fight song at least twice.

:-p

Since86
08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't know why anyone from Illinois would comment on another football program. That's like the deaf making fun of the blind.