PDA

View Full Version : A "Guess The Score" Poll

Doug
10-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Folks, I've got a question about how you want RoboDoug to score wins.

Last year - and in all previous years - if RoboDoug won, the first runner up also got credit for a win. Mainly 'cause RoboDoug was my own little fun thing.

When I re-coded RoboDoug this year, I didn't put that in. As it stands now, if RoboDoug wins, the humans are S.O.L.

It's not a great deal of effort to go make the change, but I though I would ask you first which way you wanted it.

Hence this poll. (Hopefully I won't screw up the posting of this poll. I've never done one before.)

Anyway, vote whichever way you want, and that's the way it shall be.

MSA2CF
10-21-2004, 11:47 PM
If he win, he wins...

....if....:devil:

Will Galen
10-22-2004, 12:36 AM
If he win, he wins...

I agree.

I would make it so Rebo posts his score just before closing if it's not to hard. It crossed my mind that someone could post the same scores as Robo, and just differ when they think they are sure. Of course maybe I'm taking the game a bit to serious.

skyfire
10-22-2004, 12:48 AM
what is robo-doug coded in and what algorithm is he using to guess scores?

TheSauceMaster
10-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Bring it on, you big sack of nuts and bolts :devil::devil::devil:

Alabama-Redneck
10-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Bring it on, RoboDoug. You mess with me and I will short out your motherboard. :o :devil: :cool:

Doug
10-22-2004, 08:30 AM
If he win, he wins...

I agree.

I would make it so Rebo posts his score just before closing if it's not to hard. It crossed my mind that someone could post the same scores as Robo, and just differ when they think they are sure. Of course maybe I'm taking the game a bit to serious.

That's pretty much how it works. RoboDoug reads the thread at closing time, makes his guess, and then posts the list of guesses. That way I can make sure that nobody does what you suggest. Besides, he's not *that* accurate. And RoboDoug will never guess the same as somebody else (although I better go check the code and make sure I put that back in. As of last night he'd occasionally predict a tie game. Idiot.)

Skyfire - as for algorithms, that's a secret :D

OK, actually he uses one I came up with myself. It's not too complex. I tried several others last night, but the simplier one preformed almost as well as the complex ones so I went back to it. It's funny how far hardware has come. 2 years ago it would take RoboDoug almost 5 minutes to come up with his guess. Now it's just a couple of seconds. I eventually want to try some genetic-based algorithms, but I ran out of time to try it this year. I played around with neural nets one year in the offseason, but couldn't get one to beat my existing approach.

RoboDoug is written in Java. I use a lot of open-source class libraries for things like logging, XML manipulation, you name it. My first stop when I need one is the Jakarta Project http://jakarta.apache.org/. I use MySQL as the database.

I tend to do a lot more "architectural" things in my work now, and projects like RoboDoug are one way I keep my programming skills sharp. They also have the side effect of driving my wife crazy, but there are worse attributes in a spouse, so she puts up with it.

Alabama-Redneck
10-22-2004, 02:23 PM
I was pretty sure that was the way you were doing it!!!:confused::confused::o:o:(:rolleyes:;):sarcas m::blush::hmm::bowdown:

Doug
10-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I'll consider this poll closed.

After 21 votes:

Yes - I'm scared of big bad RoboDoug 14.29%
No - Bring it on, you big sack of nuts and bolts 85.71%

OK. You asked for it, you got it. There is no second prize.

ChicagoJ
10-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Doug, when you put the prior results in a table in each thread, can you also identify the game by oppononet, instead of just the date?

Doug
10-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Doug, when you put the prior results in a table in each thread, can you also identify the game by oppononet, instead of just the date?

That should be an easy change. I'll try to remember tonight.