PDA

View Full Version : NBA Guard AJ Price Thrills NorthSport Campers

billbradley
07-30-2011, 08:45 PM
NBA Guard Thrills NorthSport Campers
By Jason Molinet
http://massapequa.patch.com/articles/nba-guard-thrills-northsport-campers

“I’ve only had four months to rehab my knee,” Price explained. “I knew what I was going into the season with – basically one and a half legs. I did whatever I could with whatever I could.”

Dr. Awesome
07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Price gets a lot of hate around here for what he isn't, but he is a guy I like as a backup PG. He will be a thorn in the side of teams come playoff time. Sure, there are games when he is crazy cold, but he can get crazy hot and change the pace of a game instantly.

He has a lot of work to do, but he is an assassin off the bench. I hope he can improve his decision making and defense. If so, we have a good backup PG.

vnzla81
07-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Assassin off the bench? Come on now :laugh:

Tom White
07-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Assassin of the bench? Come on now :laugh:

Wait, you're laughing at him? You're the one who wrote "Assassin of the bench.".

Which of the bench players would you have him assassinate first?

Sookie
07-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Price gets a lot of hate around here for what he isn't, but he is a guy I like as a backup PG. He will be a thorn in the side of teams come playoff time. Sure, there are games when he is crazy cold, but he can get crazy hot and change the pace of a game instantly.

He has a lot of work to do, but he is an assassin off the bench. I hope he can improve his decision making and defense. If so, we have a good backup PG.

He also..broke his freaking knee cap last summer, and had four months to rehab. This is the same injury that it pretty much took Blake Griffin a year to recover from. He struggled during a month in which his legs got no break. Shocking. (The hate, before Price's long *** cold streak, was reserved for poor DC. Who also, did not deserve it.)

People don't seem to think that mattered at all in his play this year. Forgetting he was significantly better the year before..and..funny enough..played significantly better in the playoffs..when he had a few days rest in between games.

I know he can score in bunches, but he's better in a role where he can pick his spots offensively, and not be the first option, like he was forced to be once PG and Hans moved out of the starting lineup.

Anyway..It's nice to see him, and some of the other players doing this type of stuff. The video is hilarious if you watch the kids at the end of the gym..who are quite clearly bored. :laugh:

jeffg-body
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't get all of the hate for AJ. He is the perfect back-up to at the PG spot right now to me. Maybe not down the road but I think he fits our needs well at this time. I know Hill will get some minutes and that leaves little for Lance but I think Lance should get some minutes at the 2 spot. Unless Lance has made some dramatic improvement in his ball handling and running the team through sets.

thatch3232
07-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I don't get all of the hate for AJ. He is the perfect back-up to at the PG spot right now to me. Maybe not down the road but I think he fits our needs well at this time. I know Hill will get some minutes and that leaves little for Lance but I think Lance should get some minutes at the 2 spot. Unless Lance has made some dramatic improvement in his ball handling and running the team through sets.

I like him as a player, but we as far as fitting our needs right now, I feel a big defensive (preferably veteran) PG would do that best.

ECKrueger
07-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I support AJ. Don't think he is great, but I think he should get a chance to recover and learn. Now, if someone better comes along, great.

vnzla81
07-30-2011, 11:31 PM
I support AJ. Don't think he is great, but I think he should get a chance to recover and learn. Now, if someone better comes along, great.

That somebody better is George Hill, AJ is just not that good he sucks, one thing that I would give "the clown" is that he didn't play him much because he knew how bad AJ is.

ECKrueger
07-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Ya, and with Hill here I don't think he'll play much, but I still don't think he is a bad guy to have on the roster. Especially not as a 3rd PG.

pacer4ever
07-30-2011, 11:39 PM

ya the 38% shooter is just what i want as my "assassin off the bench"

He is a terrible pg and is a shoot first pg who cant shoot :laugh:

if he had better shot selection and tried to get to the rim it would be different but like DayV says any thing inside the 3pt line is like hot lava to him. Plus he is a poor to average defender not what I want from my primary backup if he sucks on offense as well.

judicata
07-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Apparently ridiculous hyperbole and awful grammar go hand in hand.

Hicks
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I think he was still feeling the effects of that damaged knee. I wouldn't be surprised if he started attacking the basket more again next year (assuming he sees the floor at all).

I also don't believe his current %'s reflect what he's capable of as a shooter. He'll never be Steve Kerr, but I think he's capable of respectable jumpshot FG%'s.

imawhat
07-31-2011, 11:08 AM
His knee bothered him all season. He was still rubbing it and tending to it during the playoffs.

I've like AJ since his UConn days. I'm glad he's on the team but I think his days are numbered, unless/until Lance screws up.

I don't think his shooting % will go up. His % were low in college too. He's a good shooter, which means the low numbers come from his shot selection. I'm sure most of his misses come from dialing his own number.

Sookie
07-31-2011, 12:59 PM
His knee bothered him all season. He was still rubbing it and tending to it during the playoffs.

I've like AJ since his UConn days. I'm glad he's on the team but I think his days are numbered, unless/until Lance screws up.

I don't think his shooting % will go up. His % were low in college too. He's a good shooter, which means the low numbers come from his shot selection. I'm sure most of his misses come from dialing his own number.

He was a pretty good shooter at Uconn. It's hard to look at Price's stats from College and come up with anything conclusive. But his last two years his percentage was pretty good, and counting his sophomore season is pretty unfair.

I also think his days are numbered here. But I'm also confident he'll end up proving me correct. Unless injuries take him out.

pacer4ever
07-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Apparently ridiculous hyperbole and awful grammar go hand in hand.

ya because a full season is hyperhole :rolleyes:

Dgreenwell3
07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I think he was still feeling the effects of that damaged knee. I wouldn't be surprised if he started attacking the basket more again next year (assuming he sees the floor at all).

I also don't believe his current %'s reflect what he's capable of as a shooter. He'll never be Steve Kerr, but I think he's capable of respectable jumpshot FG%'s.

This. He has the ability but you could tell that knee was bugging him even during games.

Eleazar
07-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I still think he has a higher ceiling than Collison has. To me Collison doesn't seem like the type of player that will get much better with more time. While Price has that room for growth.

imawhat
07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
He was a pretty good shooter at Uconn. It's hard to look at Price's stats from College and come up with anything conclusive. But his last two years his percentage was pretty good, and counting his sophomore season is pretty unfair.

I also think his days are numbered here. But I'm also confident he'll end up proving me correct. Unless injuries take him out.

43.7% and 40.8% aren't that good.

Hibbert
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
I still think he has a higher ceiling than Collison has. To me Collison doesn't seem like the type of player that will get much better with more time. While Price has that room for growth.

You got it backwards, its the other way around. Look what DC did his rookie season. Thats promise. What did AJ do in his 1st year? Add to that the knee injury and all you have and all he has is hope to continue playing in this league. That surgery slowed him down quite a bit and its not like he was quick in the first place. I like him a lot as a player and a person but DC has 10x the ceiling AJ does, especially now.

Sookie
07-31-2011, 05:25 PM

Meh, I consider it pretty good. It's not fantastic, I never said it's fantastic. But I think it's good. Maybe I'm a bit warped, because like I said..he's been better or equal than pretty much every other guard we've had since Gordon. (And Kemba, sort of..his is weird as well. His freshman season is 47% with 25% from 3, and his next two years are 40% and 42% with 33% from threes. )

But I think most teams would be a happy with someone that could shoot 40 percent from 3. And with a 41% field goal percentage and a 35% three point percentage his rookie season, if he stays healthy, no reason why he couldn't increase that to 44 % field goal and 40% from three.

Eleazar
07-31-2011, 05:57 PM
You got it backwards, its the other way around. Look what DC did his rookie season. Thats promise. What did AJ do in his 1st year? Add to that the knee injury and all you have and all he has is hope to continue playing in this league. That surgery slowed him down quite a bit and its not like he was quick in the first place. I like him a lot as a player and a person but DC has 10x the ceiling AJ does, especially now.

No I do not have it backwards at all. Collison is the more experienced and consistent player, but when Price is on it he is by far the superior PG. There are times when Price is PG the offensive flow is beautiful, and was unmatched by anything I saw while Collison was the PG. Between the two Price is easily the more clutch, and he is a better defender (although neither are especially good at it). The problem with Price is his inconsistency. If he can get that in check he will be a better player than Collison.

Dr. Awesome
07-31-2011, 06:22 PM
ya the 38% shooter is just what i want as my "assassin off the bench"

He is a terrible pg and is a shoot first pg who cant shoot :laugh:

if he had better shot selection and tried to get to the rim it would be different but like DayV says any thing inside the 3pt line is like hot lava to him. Plus he is a poor to average defender not what I want from my primary backup if he sucks on offense as well.

It has nothing to do with his shooting percentage, I clearly stated he also gets cold a lot. It has to do with the fact that he can come in and knock down three 3-pointers in a matter of minutes. That type of production, can change the pace of the game instantly. Those players are always great to have. Like I said, he has to work on decision making and defense....seems like you were agreeing with me, but was trying to make it look like I said something else.

vnzla81
07-31-2011, 09:40 PM
So AJ Price was good in college(decent)and because of that many people here expects him to get better next year? I don't know but I remember guys like Adam Morrison and others killing it in college and that didn't translate to the NBA, AJ is who he is and I think he is going to be out of work soon.

Sookie
07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
So AJ Price was good in college(decent)and because of that many people here expects him to get better next year? I don't know but I remember guys like Adam Morrison and others killing it in college and that didn't translate to the NBA, AJ is who he is and I think he is going to be out of work soon.

No, AJ was good his rookie season, and if he can get and stay healthy, people can reasonably expect he'll get better.

As I said, I'm confident he'll prove me correct. It might be against the Pacers though.

There's a reason that other players on the team wanted Price to play more, and have a bigger role on the team. And it wasn't just because he's well liked.

pacer4ever
07-31-2011, 10:08 PM
No, AJ was good his rookie season, and if he can get and stay healthy, people can reasonably expect he'll get better.

As I said, I'm confident he'll prove me correct. It might be against the Pacers though.

There's a reason that other players on the team wanted Price to play more, and have a bigger role on the team. And it wasn't just because he's well liked.
AJ was good his rookie season at the end of the year when it doesn't matter and we weren't playing for anything and 70% of the teams are tanking. I can name numerous guys who played good for half a season. AJ needs to play a whole lot better or he will stay a career 3rd stinger IMO. Not saying he cant do it but they way he played last year was terrible.

King Tuts Tomb
07-31-2011, 10:08 PM
I really like AJ as a back up or third guard. He plays with a lot of confidence and you can tell it rubs off on the other guys on the floor. He's not the most talented guy but I like his attitude.

He's especially useful as a backup to Collison who we're not sure can play heavy minutes.

Anthem
07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Do we know that? Link?

pacer4ever
07-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Meh, I consider it pretty good. It's not fantastic, I never said it's fantastic. But I think it's good. Maybe I'm a bit warped, because like I said..he's been better or equal than pretty much every other guard we've had since Gordon. (And Kemba, sort of..his is weird as well. His freshman season is 47% with 25% from 3, and his next two years are 40% and 42% with 33% from threes. )

But I think most teams would be a happy with someone that could shoot 40 percent from 3. And with a 41% field goal percentage and a 35% three point percentage his rookie season, if he stays healthy, no reason why he couldn't increase that to 44 % field goal and 40% from three.

41% pg is not good a pJ should only shoot open looks. I mean if he is Deron Williams or a really talented pg you can live with 41%. But of a backup role playing pg should shoot way better IMO. Simply because his job is to take only good shots and not force the issue. If he played pg like Rondo you can live with 40% but if he is a below average defender and playmaker no thank you.

Sookie
07-31-2011, 10:38 PM
AJ was good his rookie season at the end of the year when it doesn't matter and we weren't playing for anything and 70% of the teams are tanking. I can name numerous guys who played good for half a season. AJ needs to play a whole lot better or he will stay a career 3rd stinger IMO. Not saying he cant do it but they way he played last year was terrible.

He was better in January than he was in March of his rookie season. Then Obie benched him for a few weeks because he was better than TJ and Earl (as Obie does).

He was terrible in a lot of games last year. But he also had a few games where he was extremely good.

There's a lot of short term memory here. In the beginning of March, everyone wanted Price to be the starter and it was Collison that everyone hated. Every one of those young guys had periods where they were terrible, with the exception of Brandon..who is never terrible, but can be a whole lot of nothing. (which he gets hated for, despite the fact that any championship caliber team would take a very good defender and spot up three point shooter.) AJ wasn't the only guy who played terrible at times. He was simply the last guy to do it. Well, that and certain guys just don't get any hate. (Hans, Hibbert)

Do we know that? Link?

A few people, who know some of the players here, have said that.

41% pg is not good a pJ should only shoot open looks. I mean if he is Deron Williams or a really talented pg you can live with 41%. But of a backup role playing pg should shoot way better IMO. Simply because his job is to take only good shots and not force the issue. If he played pg like Rondo you can live with 40% but if he is a below average defender and playmaker no thank you.

I think you need to look at some backup point guards shooting percentage. 44% field goal, and 40 % from three is pretty good for a starting pg. Never mind a back up. That stat was his first season, and my suggestion was that he could improve. The kid has come back from a brain aneurysm, a torn ACL and a broken kneecap..I think he's fully capable of increasing his field goal percentage by three points from his rookie season.

Maybe that's part of the problem here too. People expecting too much out of certain guys. That was definitely the issue with DC. But I'd be willing to bet that despite the "terrible" season, Price's 2.2 APG and 6.5 PPG in 15 MPG matches up with pretty much any backup point guard.

Hicks
07-31-2011, 11:24 PM

Considering he "only" takes jump shots, it's not bad.

Eleazar
07-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, that and certain guys just don't get any hate. (Hans, Hibbert)

Especially Hans, I have never seen a guy play so average, but yet get so much love because he had a couple great game 15 games ago.

pacer4ever
07-31-2011, 11:47 PM
He was better in January than he was in March of his rookie season. Then Obie benched him for a few weeks because he was better than TJ and Earl (as Obie does).

He was terrible in a lot of games last year. But he also had a few games where he was extremely good.

There's a lot of short term memory here. In the beginning of March, everyone wanted Price to be the starter and it was Collison that everyone hated. Every one of those young guys had periods where they were terrible, with the exception of Brandon..who is never terrible, but can be a whole lot of nothing. (which he gets hated for, despite the fact that any championship caliber team would take a very good defender and spot up three point shooter.) AJ wasn't the only guy who played terrible at times. He was simply the last guy to do it. Well, that and certain guys just don't get any hate. (Hans, Hibbert)

A few people, who know some of the players here, have said that.

I think you need to look at some backup point guards shooting percentage. 44% field goal, and 40 % from three is pretty good for a starting pg. Never mind a back up. That stat was his first season, and my suggestion was that he could improve. The kid has come back from a brain aneurysm, a torn ACL and a broken kneecap..I think he's fully capable of increasing his field goal percentage by three points from his rookie season.

Maybe that's part of the problem here too. People expecting too much out of certain guys. That was definitely the issue with DC. But I'd be willing to bet that despite the "terrible" season, Price's 2.2 APG and 6.5 PPG in 15 MPG matches up with pretty much any backup point guard.

I never wanted AJ starting and never been a fan of his for this team(he needs way more talent around him than we have to be successful reminds me of Kevin Ollie and if he gets better maybe he has an Eric Snow ceiling IMO ). Great college player but nothing more than a 3rd string unless he can become consistent.

and that bit about Brandon is why I love his game and why he will be a great role player for the Heat or some team in the future. I predict he will be a key reserve for a Championship team if he decides to leave the Pacers for greener pastures.

imawhat
08-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Meh, I consider it pretty good. It's not fantastic, I never said it's fantastic. But I think it's good. Maybe I'm a bit warped, because like I said..he's been better or equal than pretty much every other guard we've had since Gordon.

Only six teams in the past six seasons in the NBA have shot below 43.7%, and that was his best season....in college.

He's a 45%-46% shooter minimum if he learns when/when not to shoot. I think he has a good shot but he has the third worst shot selection on the team behind Danny and Dahntay.

Considering he "only" takes jump shots, it's not bad.

I was surprised by the 93/7 split. It was 82/18 his rookie season. I think this is a case where you can look at the stats and say he changed his shot selection for a reason (knee).

Do you still have synergy access? I'd love to see the differences between his spot up/off the dribble/other shooting percentages.

Sookie
08-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Only six teams in the past six seasons in the NBA have shot below 43.7%, and that was his best season....in college.

But you're forgetting the breakdown between post players and guards. Post players are often around 60 percent. And also that's not an individual basis, it's a team effort. Shooting 43% puts him in the top 100. There's only 9 Guards in the top 50.

He's a 45%-46% shooter minimum if he learns when/when not to shoot. I think he has a good shot but he has the third worst shot selection on the team behind Danny and Dahntay.

Oh come on, it's better than Tyler's :laugh:

45% is an extremely high percentage for a player, that..even if he recovers fully from his injury, will probably always primarily be a jump shooter. Maybe if he works on it, he could be. But I think 44/40 is a good goal.

Although I hope he does go to the basket more, he's very good at getting a foul called. And not everyone's as dumb as Rose.

CableKC
08-01-2011, 02:36 AM
I thought that AJ was a decent backup PG, but he'd be a much better 3rd string "break in case of Emergency" PG.

Peck
08-01-2011, 03:32 AM
I just want to see AJ with a trainging camp and system ran by a coach who actually values point guards and does not encourage bad shot selection (or at the very least not stiffle bad shot selection).

90'sNBARocked
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I think AJ, through hard work can become the equivilent of what Ben Gordon was , when in Chicago doing his thing

PG or SG doesnt matter, he is a guard period who I see his best attribute is fearlous attitude and can score in bunches when hot

I will take that all day

Peck
08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
I think AJ, through hard work can become the equivilent of what Ben Gordon was , when in Chicago doing his thing

PG or SG doesnt matter, he is a guard period who I see his best attribute is fearlous attitude and can score in bunches when hot

I will take that all day

Meh, I'm not sure that is what he should be shooting for. Isn't that what they say about Lance as well? At some point in time you are better having a point guard than not having a point guard IMO.

90'sNBARocked
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Meh, I'm not sure that is what he should be shooting for. Isn't that what they say about Lance as well? At some point in time you are better having a point guard than not having a point guard IMO.

Thats my point, I feel AJ is one of those guys that doesnt fit perfectly in a box

He , to me , is a SG with some PG abilities, and I think he is best utilized as a go to scoring option off the bench

vnzla81
08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I would say that I'm happy that we have GH and Lance as the backups so I don't have to see AJ's play unless sombebody get's hurt.

ECKrueger
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Kind of like Hill in a way?

Eleazar
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I remember when shooting 43% wasn't considered good, then Allen Iverson entered the NBA, sorry Sookie but I can't side with you here. 43% isn't terrible, but it isn't good either. 43% would certainly be acceptable if the other aspects of his game make up for it, which I do think he has it in him to do.

Lou Bega
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I wish AJ the best of luck next season wherever he plays because his future is over in the NBA. In fact, Shawne Williams has a brighter NBA future than AJ. Dude was Bush League. Crap TJ did not get minutes over him, would have helped in the Chicago Series.

No use crying over spilled milk both are gone!!!

90'sNBARocked
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I wish AJ the best of luck next season wherever he plays because his future is over in the NBA. In fact, Shawne Williams has a brighter NBA future than AJ. Dude was Bush League. Crap TJ did not get minutes over him, would have helped in the Chicago Series.

No use crying over spilled milk both are gone!!!

not so sure its that cut and dry. I could see a couple scenerios where AJ returns

pacer4ever
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM

I will take that all day

no :censored:in way he ever becomes close to as good as BG was in chicago. AJ wishes he had the ability being able to score 40 any given night(which is what BG was in chitown)

90'sNBARocked
08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
no :censored:in way he ever becomes close to as good as BG was in chicago. AJ wishes he had the ability being able to score 40 any given night(which is what BG was in chitown)

so what do you think of BG now?

Sookie
08-01-2011, 04:40 PM

I think he's in a crappy situation.

I'm not a fan of BG either, but I think that's the truth of it.

And as much as AJ is capable of coming into a game and getting hot, I don't think that's his greatest role. He's got such a natural ability to run a team, that it'd be a darn shame if that wasn't developed at an NBA level. He's so much better as the "stir the drink" kind of guy.

pacer4ever
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM

like sookie say he is in a ****** situation. I will wait to see how Frank uses him to judge. But AJ is no where near as good of scorer as BG and not close to as good of player.

pacer4ever
08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I think he's in a crappy situation.

I'm not a fan of BG either, but I think that's the truth of it.

And as much as AJ is capable of coming into a game and getting hot, I don't think that's his greatest role. He's got such a natural ability to run a team, that it'd be a darn shame if that wasn't developed at an NBA level. He's so much better as the "stir the drink" kind of guy.

we arent at UCONN anymore

I would take Travis Diener over Price at this point in time he has better pg skills and can shoot. Really like I said unless he can develop pg skills he will be a Travis Diener type of player. Guys like the current Price are easy to find.

Eleazar
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM

I would take Travis Diener over Price at this point in time he has better pg skills and can shoot. Really like I said unless he can develop pg skills he will be a Travis Diener type of player. Guys like the current Price are easy to find.

I take it you believe Diener has better PG skills than Collison too right?

Sookie
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM

I meant for him as a player.

He won't be as good of a player as he can possibly be if the focus is simply for him to score. And it's a natural mentality. Something that shows up, although rarely, every once in a while in the pros too.

Regardless, I hope I can quote you when I'm right about him. :P

vnzla81
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Hell yes, Diener was at least a point guard that knew how to make the right pass and run the team, too bad he is bad on defense and is too small to ever stick around in the NBA.

pacer4ever
08-01-2011, 07:08 PM

no with Dcs speed and athletic ability it makes his pg skills much better. If DC was as athletic as Diener than yes i would agree Diener has better skills. Diener has decent skills and better vision but due to his size and lack of elite athletic ability like DC it hurt. Thats the problem with Price if you don't have elite athletic ability you have to play smarter(and have great shot selection and run a team like Eric Snow) and have a great jump shot which he doesn't. But AJ is young im not saying he cant learn to be more savvy my point he he doesn't do it consistently like a solid PG should. He is fine as a 3rd stringer but i dont like him as backup.

DC can shoot and is way more athletic than AJ. If AJ just didnt chuck 3s I might be fine with him. It may of been due to the system but he still chucked when Vogel was coach. If he can just play like a pass first pg like Eric Snow who never shot unless he was i open. He will have a career as a backup but if he doesn't 3rd string at best.