PDA

View Full Version : Nicolas Batum signs in France

Basketball Fan
07-30-2011, 08:28 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/report-nicolas-batum-signs-in-france/

Report: Nicolas Batum signs in France
Matt Moore
Jul 30, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Leave a comment
Getty Images
You had to expect that the first guys to go hauling across the pond would be those who traversed the body of water in the first place. In short, Europeans are flocking back to their respective homelands in the face of the lockout and a seemingly unavoidable loss of games. Take Nicolas Batum, for example. From BasketSession.com, translation provided by Blazers Edge:

According to a source familiar with the matter, Nicolas Batum signed with SLUC Nancy. The winger Portland Trail Blazers and the team will begin the season in France Pro A and the Euroleague with Nancy in the case quite likely that the lockout blocks the start of the NBA season.

We knew very advanced contacts between the two parties, but nothing was sure yet.
via Blazer’s Edge – For Portland Trail Blazers Fans.

Batum is a pretty significant building block for the Blazers, as they’ve turned down a half-dozen trade offers for him in the past year. That has to make Blazers management (and by extension Paul Allen) a little nervous. Meanwhile, Batum gets to go on a working vacation at home. That’s a pretty fantastic setup.

Everyone keeps talking about how none of these players is going to Europe. And contracts keep getting signed. At some point this is going to be more of an issue than just a hypothetical, and the owners will be gulping down the idea of a player suffering a significant injury when he’s not earning them money. That has to cause at least a flinch.

Right?

Anthem
07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Nancy?

pacersgroningen
07-31-2011, 08:01 AM
It's in the north east of France, just below Luxembourg. Maybe close to friends and family?

BKK
08-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Not the fanciest city to live in France but it is lovely and the team has performed rather well in the Pro-A league over the last decade.

Funny thing, I'll be there in a few days :)

Gremz
08-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Considering he's from France it's not so farfetched that he might have a few hardcore fans. Mind you, I thought they only made them for Wrestling Events these days.

BKK
08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I forgot to mention : they are the reigning Pro A champions :)