PDA

View Full Version : FIBA will clear NBA Players to play overseas

dal9
07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
FIBA will clear NBA Players to play overseas (AP/Yahoo sports) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nba-fiba)

GENEVA (AP)—Basketball’s world governing body said Friday it will clear NBA players under contract to play overseass during the lockout, as long as they return once it’s over.

FIBA agreed with NBA and players’ association officials that players are free to sign anywhere but do so at their own risk of injury.

“As the world governing body for basketball, we strongly hope that the labor dispute will be resolved as soon as possible, and that the NBA season is able to begin as scheduled,” secretary general Patrick Baumann said in a statement.

“In view of our role to promote basketball worldwide, we support any player wishing to play the game, wherever and whenever. We do so while obviously taking the interests, rights and obligations of all parties into account.”

Playing overseas has emerged as an option for NBA players during a work stoppage that threatens to last months and could even wipe out the entire season. Nets All-Star Deron Williams(notes) has a deal with Turkish club Besiktas— which is also courting Kobe Bryant(notes)—and most top players said they would consider playing.

Union executive director Billy Hunter has endorsed the idea, with players believing it will pressure owners at the bargaining table if they see their players have options elsewhere.

If a player under NBA contract agrees to a deal in a FIBA-affiliated league, he first must be cleared to go by the NBA. The league will allow partial clearance, meaning it must be guaranteed the player returns to his NBA team once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached. FIBA will then give its approval once the player has signed a declaration stating he will do so.

There is still plenty of doubt that top players will head to Europe or Asia. Big stars may not find enough money to make it worthwhile, and numerous players who have signed overseas have stories of missed or late payments from their teams there. Also, their NBA teams could void their contracts if they are significantly injured playing in another league.

It looks like opt-out clauses will be mandatory, no? (for players with live contracts).

Heisenberg
07-29-2011, 02:36 PM
If they've got an active deal it's common sense an opt-out clause is mandatory no? The lockout ends they've got a previously signed contract here that they wouldn't be honoring.

ballism
07-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Players can always retire at the NBA level and take whatever Euro deals they like.
Although I'm not sure how the retirement procedure would work right now. IIRC, it's guided by the CBA. I assume it would be slightly more complicated atm.

Heisenberg
07-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey ballism, I know certain (most?) Euro leagues limit the number of foreigners allowed on a roster, any chance you could enlighten me on the specifics?

dal9
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Players can always retire at the NBA level and take whatever Euro deals they like.
Although I'm not sure how the retirement procedure would work right now. IIRC, it's guided by the CBA. I assume it would be slightly more complicated atm.

OT, sorta, but does anyone know how it works in the NFL, with Carson Palmer threatening to retire if he's not traded? How long would he have to stay retired before he could un-retire? Would he be a FA after un-retiring?

Heisenberg
07-29-2011, 02:48 PM
OT, sorta, but does anyone know how it works in the NFL, with Carson Palmer threatening to retire if he's not traded? How long would he have to stay retired before he could un-retire? Would he be a FA after un-retiring?
From this article (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ec5601/article/bucs-barber-tiki-can-come-back-players-planning-workouts) about Tiki Barber it seems like when a guy retires the team he leaves owns his rights, I guess in perpetuity, and for him to return somewhere else they need to renounce him. Works like the NBA with draftees I guess.

dal9
07-29-2011, 03:30 PM
From this article (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ec5601/article/bucs-barber-tiki-can-come-back-players-planning-workouts) about Tiki Barber it seems like when a guy retires the team he leaves owns his rights, I guess in perpetuity, and for him to return somewhere else they need to renounce him. Works like the NBA with draftees I guess.

wow. it looks like Palmer will have to carry out his threat then.

thanks.

ballism
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey ballism, I know certain (most?) Euro leagues limit the number of foreigners allowed on a roster, any chance you could enlighten me on the specifics?

Complicated and ever-changing. The rules differ for each domestic league. Besides, the definitions differ and there are still some league that use quotas incompatable with European Union laws.

For some examples. Croatia - max 4 foreigners on the team, but only 2 of them can be on the court at the same time. AFAIK, 'foreigner' in Croatia is everyone who's not Croatian.

France - max 5 foreigners, European Union players aren't considered foreigners. AFAIK, no limit to how many of them can play at the same time. Also, there's a requirement to have a certain number "locally developed" players (i believe 5). "Locally developed" means you spent some years playing ball there as a teenager, no matter nationality.

Which means that even guys like Joakim Noah are limited by a quota in France, even though he plays for French national team.

ACB (main Spanish league) is planning to adopt a rule (or maybe has already) where "locally developed" players aren't considered foreigners. Which is cool if you are someone like Bismack Biyombo - no quota applies to you and you'll get better offers.

Lithuania was planning to remove the quotas alltogether for the next season AFAIK. I'm not sure how that's progressing.

That's just a few examples. There's dozens of leagues, and rules are quite different.

Frostwolf
07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
i see the basketball leagues are starting to implement the same kinds of quotas for homegrown players like many nations have for football. interesting.

ballism
07-30-2011, 09:56 AM
i see the basketball leagues are starting to implement the same kinds of quotas for homegrown players like many nations have for football. interesting.

It's moving in that direction, yes. EU law prohibits a lot of old citizenship-based restrictions towards most Europeans. For example, you can't put a restriction on Hungarians in Italy, or Slovenians in Sweden, etc.

So "locally developed" is the new legally correct means towards the same old goal. Most of those spots get used by local citizens.

Still, it's quite fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if EU Court of Justice calls these homegrown restrictions illegal sooner or later. It's a process. But generally, all similar restrictions than aren't based on measurable lack of qualification get banned.

As far as quotas in general, also keep in mind that some Euro teams take part in in up to 5 leagues at the same time, and rules in most of them are different. E.g. a Croatian team may play in Croatian league, Croatian cup, Adriatic league and Euroleague. A Latvian team might play in Latvian league, Latvian cup, EuroCup, Baltic league and VEF league (a new strong regional league named after its sponsor).
In these cases, teams often go for the most restrictive quotas. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to use some players everywhere.
It's a mess.