PDA

View Full Version : Bird's "Best trash talking one liners or soimething"

ECKrueger
07-28-2011, 06:54 PM
- On a West Coast trip in 1986, Bird told the entire Dallas Mavericks bench that after the time out, Ainge would inbounds the pass to DJ, who would hit Bird in the corner where Bird would step back and take a three. "So you got that?" Bird queried the bench. "I'm gonna stand right here. I'm not going to move. They'll pass me the ball, and the next sound you here will be the ball hitting the bottom of the net." And that's exactly what happened. Bird winked at the Maverick before heading back down to the other end of the court.

- After Craig Hodges won the NBA All-Star Game Three-Point contest in Bird's absence, Hodges was asked if the victory was tainted because Bird hadn't participated. "He knows where he can find me," was Hodges retort. Told of Hodges' challenge, Bird replied, "Yeah, at the end of the Bulls bench."

- During the three-point shooting contest on All-Star Weekend 1986, Bird entered the locker room, looked around without saying a word, then finally said, "I want all of you to know I am winning this thing. I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish up second." He won the shooting contest.

- During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him. During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry *****in' Christmas!", and then the shot went in. This was no doubt inspired by Person (nicknamed the "Rifleman") stating prior to the game that "The Rifleman is Coming, and He's Going Bird Hunting."

- Dennis Rodman on Larry Bird: "I would be all over him, trying to deny him the ball, and all Larry was doing was yelling at his teammates, I'm open! Hurry up before they notice nobody is guarding me!" then he would stick an elbow in my jaw and stick the jumper in my face, then he would start in on my coach "Coach you better get this guy out and send in somebody who's going to D me up, because its too easy when I'm wide open like this"

- Reggie Miller recalled his encounter with Larry Bird's legendary trash talking ability in his book "I Love Being The Enemy". Reggie tried to disrupt Larry's concentration when he was shooting free throws late in a game. Larry glared at him, made the first free throw and said, "Rook, I am the best *****ing shooter in the league. In the league, understand? And you're up here trying to *****ing tell me something?" Then Larry buried the second free throw.

- Late in a tied game against the Seattle SuperSonics, Bird told Supersonics forward Xavier McDaniel, who was guarding him, ďIím going to get the ball right here and I am going to bury it in your face.Ē As McDaniel remembers it, he responded by saying, ďI know, Iíll be waiting.Ē After a timeout, Bird made two baseline cuts, then posted in the exact spot he had indicated to McDaniel, paused, turned, and made it in his face. He finished up the sequence by telling McDaniel, ďI didnít mean to leave two seconds on the clock.Ē

- Shawn Kemp was guarding Larry Bird one night. On the last three-pointer, Larry Shot in Kemp's face and he said, "I'm the best damn player from Indiana."

Kemo
07-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Bird was definitely one of the premiere smack talkers back when he played.. But what made Larry ..... "Legend", was his uncanny ability to be able to back every single bit of it up .. Whether it be telling his opponents exactly every single move he was gonna make , or backing it up by choking the ****** out of someone who played him dirty .. Larry backed it ALL up .. lol

Sandman21
07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
NBATV had the Top 50 Larry moments on last weekend. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't old enough to remember anything other than Larry after his back issues became problematic. I was surprised at how amazing his passing abilities were.

kielbeze
07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.

Hicks
07-28-2011, 10:52 PM
I've always liked to believe he was using dry humor with that comment, but I fully understand why many assume it wasn't.

AussiePacer
07-29-2011, 07:06 AM
He is why I followed the C's as a youth.

The man!

FlavaDave
07-29-2011, 12:33 PM
After reading the other thread, I love this thread title.

Tom White
07-29-2011, 12:53 PM
You notice there is never a list published of the times a guy (even Bird) trash talked and then did NOT back it up. I'd be interested to read some of those, and what the opponent's reply was.

Peck
07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Well I'll be the one token Pacer fan who was a Pacer fan whenever the arrogant obnoxous blowhard came to town.

He was a bully pure and simple. Sure he was a skilled bully but a bully nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong I understand the greatness as I had to witness it several times in person but to come to a town and trash talk an entire team when they are on the ropes doesn't impress me.

Sure Chuck Person deserved what he got, he gave out plenty himself. But Bird was doing this crap to Clark Kellogg, Herb Williams and other players who wouldn't have said a word to him and were nothing but respectfull.

This is why it took me so long to accept him as coach.

I hated Larry Bird the player, HATED him. He was nothing but a F'n Celtic to me & I am a lifelong Pacer fan so the fact that he was from Indiana meant less than nothing to me.

Sorry to be the turd in the punch bowl here but I just felt the need to get out the fact that some of us in the 80's actually went to see the Pacers and not cheer on a Celtic player.

Now on the other hand I will say this, I have been in lock step with him as the director of basketball operations (other than his unbelieveable choice to extend O'Brien's contract).

But Bird the player? Great player, one of the best, but not real high on the sportsmanship totem (which I know doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone any more).

vnzla81
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I wonder who he was trying to prove wrong when he decided to stay with "the clown" for so long, he maybe trashed talked somebody by telling them that "the clown" was going to win a championship with Troy Murphy and TJ Ford as the Pacers starters :whoknows:

greengirl33
07-29-2011, 03:52 PM
If I could add another famous line of Larry's, I would have to say as a Celtics' fan my favorite would be the retort towards the Cavs fans on the 1985 playoffs. Larry missed game 3 due to an injury. Cavs kicked our butt. Towards the end of the game the fans started cheering "We want Bird, we want Bird". Next day at practice Larry was asked about it. His response?

They don't want me. If they want me they will get me - both barrels.

Needless to say Larry came back next game with 34 points and 14 rebounds.

D-BONE
07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
As a Pacer fan, I was totally like Peck. I couldn't stand Bird because he was the enemy, and basically the best of all the enemies. Plus, there was this whole nauseating level of Indiana Bird fans, who I considered turncoats since they all had adopted the Celtics.

I hated Jordan to. I have immense respect for them both as great players, but I hated them as the best of our opponents, and particularly for opposing fans it was easy to see them as first class jerks. Of course, I'm sure many other fans saw Reggie that way. So I'm kind of ambivalent on disliking them just based on the arrogance/trash talk angle. One of the deals where you hate them, except if they are on your team, in which case you practically worship them.

greengirl33
07-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Well I'll be the one token Pacer fan who was a Pacer fan whenever the arrogant obnoxous blowhard came to town.

He was a bully pure and simple. Sure he was a skilled bully but a bully nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong I understand the greatness as I had to witness it several times in person but to come to a town and trash talk an entire team when they are on the ropes doesn't impress me.

Sure Chuck Person deserved what he got, he gave out plenty himself. But Bird was doing this crap to Clark Kellogg, Herb Williams and other players who wouldn't have said a word to him and were nothing but respectfull.

I hated Larry Bird the player, HATED him. He was nothing but a F'n Celtic to me & I am a lifelong Pacer fan so the fact that he was from Indiana meant less than nothing to me.

Sorry to be the turd in the punch bowl here but I just felt the need to get out the fact that some of us in the 80's actually went to see the Pacers and not cheer on a Celtic player.

Now on the other hand I will say this, I have been in lock step with him as the director of basketball operations (other than his unbelieveable choice to extend O'Brien's contract).

But Bird the player? Great player, one of the best, but not real high on the sportsmanship totem (which I know doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone any more).

I understand where you are coming from but my I ask you (and other Pacer fans as well) something? If I'm understanding Pacer history correctly, you guys had the opportunity to draft Larry before Red did but chose not to (not wanting to wait the year I think). If Larry had become a Pacer, would you enjoy the trash-talking more, root for him as a Pacer but just not be your favorite, or just not want him on the team at all?

Before anyone thinks I'm trolling - it is not my intent. Right now, as a fan, I'm in that situation with the Pats trading for Haynesworth. Can't stand the guy but he's about to play for my team. I know there are a few of you that just don't like Larry because he was an "f'n green guy" or just because of his cockiness. If he had been a Pacer, would it make that big of a difference?

Peck
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I understand where you are coming from but my I ask you (and other Pacer fans as well) something? If I'm understanding Pacer history correctly, you guys had the opportunity to draft Larry before Red did but chose not to (not wanting to wait the year I think). If Larry had become a Pacer, would you enjoy the trash-talking more, root for him as a Pacer but just not be your favorite, or just not want him on the team at all?

Before anyone thinks I'm trolling - it is not my intent. Right now, as a fan, I'm in that situation with the Pats trading for Haynesworth. Can't stand the guy but he's about to play for my team. I know there are a few of you that just don't like Larry because he was an "f'n green guy" or just because of his cockiness. If he had been a Pacer, would it make that big of a difference?

To answer your question I would like to think it would still matter to me. I used to always take a lot of heat from my fellow Pacer fans because I did not like Reggie's trash talking in all situations. Were there times that it was merited, sure, but overall I'm not a big fan of that. Like I said sportsmanship, while quaint, means something to me.

Also to add a little history to the story. You are partially correct, we could have drafted him. But he flat out told Bobby "Slick" Leonard not to do it because we could not afford him. He told him flat out that he would re-declare for the draft the following year and then we would have lost his rights and got nothing in return.

Hicks
07-29-2011, 04:43 PM
But he flat out told Bobby "Slick" Leonard not to do it because we could not afford him. He told him flat out that he would re-declare for the draft the following year and then we would have lost his rights and got nothing in return.

I have never heard that before. Where did you get that?

What I recalled was that the Pacers couldn't afford to wait a year for him because of their poor financial situation or something to the effect.

ECKrueger
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM

I guess you saw what I did :D

Constellations
07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
To answer your question I would like to think it would still matter to me. I used to always take a lot of heat from my fellow Pacer fans because I did not like Reggie's trash talking in all situations. Were there times that it was merited, sure, but overall I'm not a big fan of that. Like I said sportsmanship, while quaint, means something to me.

Also to add a little history to the story. You are partially correct, we could have drafted him.

But his mustache was too epic so we didn't.

MTM
07-29-2011, 04:49 PM

I too... HATED Bird when he played. I was a Pacers fan, a Clark Kellogg fan, and later a Chuck Person fan. Bird abused that decade-long group of small forwards mercilessly. He was a poor sport and used the Indiana connection to his own advantage when building his legacy at the same time he showed very little love for Indiana fans. I also hated how ugly Bird was (along with McHale and Ainge and Walton and DJ - that was one ugly team), and when it came down to the finals, I remember having to choose between two evils and settling on the Lakers because at least Magic and Byron and Worthy were cool looking dudes. Sure it's shallow, but the Celtics were ugly. Images of McHales body hair still haunt me.

Now that the NBA is on an indefinite timeout and NBATV has been showing old 80s games, I have sat down to watch some of the old Celtics games that have been on. Some of them are big-time games, and some are mid-season.
I can watch the games without any passion or prejudice, knowing where these guys are now. I have seen lots of Bird highlights, but to watch the guy play all 4 quarters and just watch him - man was he good. Really really good.

I mean, I said out loud to my wife as she questioned why I was watching so much 1980s basketball, "there is an argument to be made that Bird was better than Jordan because unlike Jordan, I never get the sense that he cared about anything other than winning..." There were times that I felt Jordan was worried about getting his shot going or taking over - with Bird, he would do whatever it took to win, even if his stats were down. I saw a game where in the 3rd quarter he had 2 points, 9 boards, and 7 assists, and ended up with 25 points and nearly a triple double - but early in the game, he did what his team needed. Bird lacked explosiveness of what you would think of generally as a good athlete, and he was not dominant defensively. In the argument comparing him to Jordan, I ultimately disagree with myself... but the point is... I thought about it.

It was so interesting to watch the type of play back then too - much better teamwork and recognition on a play-by-play basis of where matchups were on the court and exploiting them, regardless of which player got to do the exploiting. The game flowed fast, there was less demonstrable disagreements with the officials on a play by play basis, and the lack of multiple camera angles allows you to see all the action, not just the closeups of the superstars.

Peck
07-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I have never heard that before. Where did you get that?

What I recalled was that the Pacers couldn't afford to wait a year for him because of their poor financial situation or something to the effect.

I'll have to look for it but it was in an interview with Slick, I've also heard a radio interview with Bird confirming this.

This conversation supposedly took place in Terre Haute in 78 (I think).

This is why we ended up drafting Rick Robey instead, he was a semi-local player (Kentucky) and at the time was considered a good center prospect. Ironic that he would be traded to the Celtics and end up being Bird's best friend on the team.

greengirl33
07-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Peck.

I too have never heard that Larry refused to play for the Pacers. The only thing I have ever heard was during contract negotiations between his agent and Red. If there was no agreement by a certain date, Larry had no choice but to go back into the draft (possibly to be picked up by the Bulls).

Peck
07-29-2011, 05:02 PM
That 80's Celtic team was a team of thugs as well. I say that with the utmost respect for that style of play, I didn't hate them for that it was the way the game was played. But to hear them whine about Lambier always made me shake my head because for everytime they would complain about Bill putting an elbow into their head I would think about M.L. Carr putting a knee in Stepanovich's lower abdomen or Ainge giving a groin shot to Jim Thomas.

The 80's Celtics are the reason why Dale Davis was such a hero to me. We were pushed around and bullied (not just by them but they did more than their fair share) until the day # 32 walked on our floor. Ask Kevin McHale about his first encounter with Dale, the cheap shots ended that day.

Again I'm not trying to whine about it because that is how it was (and frankly we need a little more of that today).

Sandman21
07-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Bird's own book says that we passed on him because we couldn't afford to wait a year for him.

"The Pacers never did draft me in 1978, because I told them I had promised my mom I would go back to college for my senior year and graduate. Indiana was in a position at that time where it needed to do something right away."

If I remember right, this was before the telethon and the Pacers got CLOBBERED financially by the financial costs we were forced to pay as part of the merger. We actually had the number one pick that year but because they couldn't get Larry that year, they traded it to Portland for Johnny Davis and the #3.

Of course then we traded Robey halfway through his rookie year for Billy Knight....

greengirl33
07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
That 80's Celtic team was a team of thugs as well. I say that with the utmost respect for that style of play, I didn't hate them for that it was the way the game was played. But to hear them whine about Lambier always made me shake my head because for everytime they would complain about Bill putting an elbow into their head I would think about M.L. Carr putting a knee in Stepanovich's lower abdomen or Ainge giving a groin shot to Jim Thomas.

The 80's Celtics are the reason why Dale Davis was such a hero to me. We were pushed around and bullied (not just by them but they did more than their fair share) until the day # 32 walked on our floor. Ask Kevin McHale about his first encounter with Dale, the cheap shots ended that day.

Again I'm not trying to whine about it because that is how it was (and frankly we need a little more of that today).

I find it interesting you included Danny Ainge in this statement. I never saw him as a thug. What would get on my nerves about Danny was his constant tantrums. I liked his play-making but it seemed like every call that was against him he whined about. Yeah I want my team to win but man up. Not a tough guy image to me at all. The only fight I truly remember him getting into was with Tree Rollins of Atlanta, who ended up bitting his finger. Any other scuttle it was his "big brothers" to the rescue.

LetsTalkPacers
07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
This proves you can have a player that plays with a chip on his shoulder without going out and getting into trouble. These days it seems like either/or.

Sandman21
07-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I find it interesting you included Danny Ainge in this statement. I never saw him as a thug. What would get on my nerves about Danny was his constant tantrums. I liked his play-making but it seemed like every call that was against him he whined about. Yeah I want my team to win but man up. Not a tough guy image to me at all. The only fight I truly remember him getting into was with Tree Rollins of Atlanta, who ended up bitting his finger. Any other scuttle it was his "big brothers" to the rescue.

Err.... (And yeah, I know it was after he left Boston)
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JDKeaF7nPrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Looks pretty thugish to me.

And heres one from his Boston days:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NV42NLB-r_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He probably had that body slam coming. :D

imawhat
07-29-2011, 08:33 PM

I'll start off by saying that Bird is my favorite player of all time, so that's going to cloud my view a little.

Some players, like Larry and Reggie, don't play basketball to be a sportsman. They play to win, and they'll take any advantage they can get over their opponents. For Larry, a big part of that was the mental warfare he had with his opponents. It's not bullying in view, and that's why he did it to the Chuck Persons and the Randy Wittmans. Get inside the entire team's head and throw all of them off. That's the point.

Having said that, Larry was a sportsman. He was courteous to other players all the time, but only the trash talking is remembered.

Go rewatch some classic NBA games if you don't believe me. The NBA channel has been running multiple Celtic games. Watch game 5 of the '87 Celtics/Lakers Finals. After Magic hits his memorable hookshot, Larry comes out of the timeout and shakes James Worthy's hand. This is despite Worthy, 10 game seconds earlier, illegally holding Larry by his Jersey as he was trying to free himself for a shot. And it occurs before the game ends. I think it's rare to see that kind of sportsmanship in the middle of a game, let alone at the peak of one of the hottest NBA rivalries of all time.

dal9
07-29-2011, 08:35 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JDKeaF7nPrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lol it looks like a video game with a bug in it...tries to throw it in fullcourt, nails the guy two feet away on the head...

edit: and look at ainge pointing at the bottom of the backboard, like it deflected off of there...

edit 2: think AC Green's gotten laid yet?

greengirl33
07-29-2011, 09:54 PM

And heres one from his Boston days:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NV42NLB-r_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He probably had that body slam coming. :D

I'm thinking I have a different definition of thug. In the first video, I still don't think thug. Not that I condone it (plus it proves the whiny point I made). To me there is a difference between a jerk and a thug. Honestly don't remember the Moncrief fight. Actually surprised Sidney reacted the way he did - not that I blame him.

Sorry but after watching as many games as I have in my lifetime (over 30 years) I still would not put Danny Ainge under "thug" for his NBA career.

As a side note, Peck had also mentioned M.L. Carr. Please note I didn't dispute that one.

Kemo
07-29-2011, 11:31 PM
LOL.. I suppose , I had better keep my mouth shut to avoid any stray banhammers that would be flying my way...
Talking sh.. about Bird the player, the legend, the man not a myth ...........

...... to me is equivalent to blasphemy in this household... :D:eek::D

Kemo
07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
http://blog.russos.net/randy/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/grindsmygears5.jpg

... the term thug ... being so loosely thrown around .. especially in regards to NBA players..

Or to hear old farts talking about a player calling him a thug , simply because he has tattoos , braids or a funky hairstyle ..

Fan A ... " Oh I don't like (insert random nba player's name here) , he fouled the crap outta my man Bosh and sent him to the locker-room with a small contusion over his eyebrow" ...
Fan B ... "Ya that guy is a thug" ...

Thug
noun ~
1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

ECKrueger
07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I am young so I don't have a strong opinion, but I can definitely see him being one of the guys you HATE on other teams, but LOVE on yours.

As Peck alluded to, I think a lot of us would dislike Reg if he didn't play for us. Now since Bird is here and Reggie was the Pacers for a while, we all love the quotes and trash-talking.

ECKrueger
07-29-2011, 11:57 PM

From the other thread:

Hicks is right, I hadnt heard some of those before, a thread would be cool. Title it "Best trash talking one liners or soimething"

Its funny I find it ironic that a lot of old scholers dont like the new generation of NBA players, call em thugs or say they talk to much

yet Bird was one of , if not the biggest trash talker

:D

hoosierguy
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
So you just copied and pasted from Wikipedia? Must be a slow time indeed with college being out for the summer.

indygeezer
07-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Peck

I remember the stories of LB telling the Pacers he would re-enter the draft..but at the time I took it better than you did obviously. I thought he was telling them not to do it if we couldn't afford to sign him then because he was ready to play and didn't want to wait. If we were going to make him with then he's go elsewhere because we didn't have the resources to field a good team.

ECKrueger
07-30-2011, 10:52 PM
So you just copied and pasted from Wikipedia? Must be a slow time indeed with college being out for the summer.

Actually I saw these on a Purdue board, and I thought I would share. I don't know what your problem with me is, but no one else has a problem with this thread.

Mr. Sobchak
07-31-2011, 02:51 AM
He's just mad that you posted a thread about someone who transferred away from IU....

Just to clarify I'm an IU alum...but that guy takes being a homer to a completely new level...quite annoying.

ECKrueger
07-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Well it does help some. Gotta make sure I keep my iu hatred level up. People like you bring it down.

Tom White
07-31-2011, 10:15 AM
OK, I'll join the IU vs. PU fun.

- On a West Coast trip in 1986, Bird told the entire Dallas Mavericks bench

Actually I saw these on a Purdue board

Only on a Purdue board would someone think Dallas is on the west coast!

:laugh::D

PacerDude
07-31-2011, 11:12 AM
What conference does Dallas play in ?? :rolleyes:

imawhat
07-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Same conference as the New Orleans Hornets?

HickeyS2000
07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Lol you guys crack me up. +1 for the Boilers. I'm excited for more even teams this year. It was getting kinda boring beating up the Hoosiers.

HickeyS2000
07-31-2011, 01:06 PM
As for Bird's trash talking. I lived in French Lick and went to Springs Valley school. I loved and still love the fact a hick from the same town I lived was one of the best players to ever play basketball. I thought the trash talking was his way of letting you know he was not only not backing down, he was gonna bring it. Every game, every play. And boy did he bring it.

ECKrueger
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
OK, I'll join the IU vs. PU fun.

Only on a Purdue board would someone think Dallas is on the west coast!

:laugh::D

To me, west coast trips usually just refer to an eastern team playing a series of western teams.

Tom White
07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
To me, west coast trips usually just refer to an eastern team playing a series of western teams.

I know. I just had to add a bit to the jousting. Never been able to pass up a good natured jab where IU/PU are concerned. :cheers:

ECKrueger
07-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I know. I just had to add a bit to the jousting. Never been able to pass up a good natured jab where IU/PU are concerned. :cheers:

Figures, iu folk are inherently jerks ;)

hoosierguy
08-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Lol you guys crack me up. +1 for the Boilers. I'm excited for more even teams this year. It was getting kinda boring beating up the Hoosiers.

And then choking in the NCAA tournament as usual.

We all know that beating IU is Purdue's national championship- it's as important as that Helms Banner hanging in Mackey.

Hicks
08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Springfield rocks! Boo, Shelbyville! BOO!!!! [/green]

Trader Joe
08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Yeah...Purdue...what's up with that?

90'sNBARocked
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Simply One of a Kind: Larry Bird

Larry Bird is easily one of the best players to ever play in the NBA. His ability to shoot, score, rebound, pass and anticipate is still unmatched even today. The closest thing to Larry Legend that we could see in the modern game would be a cross of LeBron James and Dirk Nowitzki. If that sounds scary, itís because it is. The former Celtics star is easily one of the 10 best players the league has ever seen.

Thus, when the opportunity to read Larry Bird Drive came up, there was no way to pass that up.

Bird (with the help of Bob Ryan) goes through his life and explains to readers the path he traveled to become one of the best NBA players ever.

From a very young age, it was obvious that Bird shared a common trait with Maigc Johnson: competitive fire. The moment he was exposed to competitive high school basketball, it took over his life. He dedicated himself to getting better, helping out the team and listening to his coach. Think about this for a moment: early in his basketball life, his coach had to get on him to look to score more because Larry was perfectly fine with running the offense and getting his teammates some open looks.

Bird was a good shooter as well as a good scorer, but he did not realize just how good he was at those aspects of the game until head coach Jim Jones implored him to become more aggressive on offense for the benefit of the team.

The more he scored, the more attention he got; thus it became important for Bird to become a sophisticated scorer to counter defenses. Consequently, he spent every summer practicing. And when he was done, he practiced some more. One of the key elements of his summer regimen was that he did everything alone.

Having a shooting partner according to Bird, would often lead to distractions and thus getting less work put in. Hence, he always practiced alone. Later in his professional career he might have a ball boy present, but no communication would occur during these sessions, in order for the focus to entirely remain on practicing.

The rigorous hours of training put in made Larry Bird an incredible high school ball player. As a result, he got a scholarship to play at Indiana but the campus scared him. The school was far too big for his liking and he did not have any money. Hence, he had little to no social life and had to borrow clothes from his roommate since he did not have much of his own.

Bird left Indiana and went back home where he got himself a job. But he still loved basketball, and thus would play every now and then after work and on the weekends. He was clearly more talented than everybody else and that got him noticed. Itís how he eventually landed at Indiana State and put the program on the map.

In three years of playing at Indiana State, Bird averaged an incredible 30.3 points per game, 13.3 rebounds per game and 4.6 assists per game on 53.3 percent field goal shooting. But the most important thing Bird did in college was get his team in the NCAA tournament championship game his senior year, where they faced off against Magic Johnson and his Michigan State Spartans.

The game would be remembered for years and would be a precursor to the rivalry that Magic and Bird would later enjoy in their professional basketball careers.

The most interesting aspect about Larry Bird Drive, it is written in the first person and thus we follow the Legendís career through his words and hang on each and every one of them. The one problem though? It does not feel like it is actually Bird talking to us.

The best trash talkers in the history of the NBA are arguably (in no specific order) Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Gary Payton. And yet, it fails to come across in the book that Bird was ever part of such an elite group of talkers.

Indeed, he recites his accomplishments as well as his failures during his career with the Celtics without ever alluding to just how good of a trash talker he was. The only mention of him ever jawing against opponents is in the 3-point shootout contest; but as far as the remainder of his career, he is completely mute on it.

Heck, Bird did not even mention what might have been his greatest trash talking night ever: the night he scored 60 points against the Atlanta Hawks and gave them the trainerís lap 3-point bomb (watch the whole video, itís worth it).

Despite the absence of references to his ability to psych players out with his words, Larry Bird still takes us through an interesting ride that helps us understand the dynamic of not only who he was, but also who the Celtics were.

The former Indiana State star gives us great details on why the team succeeded as a whole but also why each and every individual fit within the concept of what they were trying to accomplish.

Cedric Maxwell brought toughness as well as an ability to score on his man within the scheme of the offense. Max did not always look to score, but when he did, he often carried the club for long stretches much like he did in the 1981 NBA Finals on his way to capturing the Finals MVP award.

Bill Walton was a phenomenal back up center that always got excellent rebounding position and that was a terrific passer. Once a game, they would connect together on a perfect give and go play. Walton was easily one of the players that every Celtic liked making fun of because he always took it in stride, smiled and even occasionally responded.

Kevin McHale was ďMr. AutomaticĒ according to the Legend. Whenever he got the ball in the spot he wanted on the block, he would always score; and not only that, he would score with his right hand almost exclusively. Bird never truly mentions any character traits about McHale, which in a way goes towards implicitly stating he was perhaps a good if not great second option because he always managed with what was given to him.

Robert Parrish was a solid interior defender who also provided scoring on the low block. He did a good job of battling out for post position and had good hands. He was the consummate professional who only cared about winning and the team dynamic. If the Celtics were up big, he would respectfully decline to go back into games to allow the rookies or back ups to get some playing time.

Danny Ainge was a lights out shooter but also a very intelligent player. He understood the game quite well and knew where and how to contribute.

The biggest praise Bird doled out was for Dennis Johnson. He states:

ďD.J. is simply the best player Iíve ever played with on the Celtics. Kevin is great. Robert is great. Iíve played with other great players. But when I look at other teams, there is always a player on that team who seems to symbolize the whole team. When I think of our own team, the guy I think of D.J.Ē

The Celtics were a remarkable team under Bill Fitch, but under K.C. Jones they were a legendary one. Bird does not directly state it, but his feelings about him and how he got the Celtics to play at a high level are obvious throughout the book.

Under Fitch, the team followed an almost military type of regime; where the coach gave directions and the players followed them. Practice was mandatory and maximum effort was not expected, it was a given at all times.

Jones on the other hand understood the rigors of the regular season and thus knew when to push his players and when to take his foot off the gas. He listened to players and allowed them to give their input as far as strategy went. Also, he never gave preferential treatment, but if a certain player seemed overly fatigued at practice, he would allow him to sit out in order to conserve his energy for the following game.

In his five years in Boston, Jonesí Celtics never won less than 57 games (they were 308-102 from 1983 to 1988), they won two titles, made four Finals appearances and lost once in the Eastern Conference Finals. Needless to say, the man knew how to coach talent.

Larry Bird Drive is supposed to be all about following Birdís career and seeing just how great he was and what have you; but true to his nature, he seeks to avoid the spotlight. This explains why he treats his three MVP awards as a career footnote while the three championships he won with the Celtics sound like his greatest professional achievements (and rightfully so).

Thus, a book designed to tell us the story of one of the greatest players accomplished its purpose, but also brought his teammates to the forefront.

Typical Bird, always looking to make his teammates look betterÖ.

http://www.warriorsworld.net/2011/08/02/simply-kind-larry-bird/

ECKrueger
08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah...Purdue...what's up with that?

I am not having this debate, but I do respect you enough to at least tell you that :)

Lurkster
08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I have degrees from both IU and Purdue

+1 for Purdue

In Mens Bball Purdue has IU beat all-time head-to-head, in Big 10 championships, and Big 10 tourney championships.

In Football Purdue has IU beat in all-time head to head, Big 10 championships, and bowl game appearances. (All handily.)

Loud IU fans will always talk about the Basketball National championships IU has, and I suppose they have a right to.

The problem is that most loud IU fans that I've encountered weren't even alive the last time IU won a national championship. To me it's one thing to be proud of your school's pedigree and a totally different thing to arrogantly boast about national championships you never even witnessed. I'm not sure if our brash hoosier poster falls into this category but i wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised...

Purdue has better fans too (among other things, less intoxicated and more considerate.)

t1hs0n
08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I have degrees from both IU and Purdue

+1 for Purdue

In Mens Bball Purdue has IU beat all-time head-to-head, in Big 10 championships, and Big 10 tourney championships.

In Football Purdue has IU beat in all-time head to head, Big 10 championships, and bowl game appearances. (All handily.)

Loud IU fans will always talk about the Basketball National championships IU has, and I suppose they have a right to.

The problem is that most loud IU fans that I've encountered weren't even alive the last time IU won a national championship. To me it's one thing to be proud of your school's pedigree and a totally different thing to arrogantly boast about national championships you never even witnessed.

lol...

I love this argument from pu fans.

The same era you bash IU fans for holding up as something to brag about, because "they weren't even alive", is the same era that Purdue garnered all those wonderful big ten championships and tourney wins. They are even older for the most part.
So, which way should it be? The past is the past or the history of the program is the pillar of fans right to brag? lol

Oh, and I am only 31 and I have gotten to not only watch my school win a title I was also enrolled in the school when we went to another title game. Both are things that no Purdue fan alive can make a claim to.

90'sNBARocked
08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
As a graduate of LIU Brooklyn I crack up at the IU /PU rivalry

not for nothin but both have sucked eggs in athletics for quite a while now

:)

Of course LIU didnt even have a football team :)

ECKrueger
08-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Historically, Purdue has the regular-season edge, iu post-season. Post-season is obviously where it counts. I am personally happy that Purdue has been successful while I have been there and iu has not. However, it was not always that way and I admit that. I will always support the Boilermakers and claim they are better, iu fans will always say they are better.

I laugh at the rivalry too 90's, because while I hate iu, I don't bother saying it a whole lot because no one wins a Purdue/iu argument. They just go on continuously and always reach the matter of banners vs. overall success. There never is, nor will there ever be a consensus on the better program. Besides if it isn't basketball, it is football. If not that then academics, or girls, etc. It is just a stupid pointless argument. Each will support their own side. Except the occasional weirdo who likes one school but goes to the other.

Good enough? Can we shut up now?

pacer4ever
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
As a graduate of LIU Brooklyn I crack up at the IU /PU rivalry

not for nothin but both have sucked eggs in athletics for quite a while now

Of course LIU didnt even have a football team :)

I cheer for both PU and IU I like it when Indiana kids and schools do good. And my parents went to Purdue .

PacersHomer
08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
It's nice to see the 2nd and 3rd best basketball programs in the state duke it out.

90'sNBARocked
08-03-2011, 09:42 AM
It's nice to see the 2nd and 3rd best basketball programs in the state duke it out.

Zing!!!

Go Butler

HickeyS2000
08-03-2011, 10:03 AM

We are talking about Purdue and IU, not Purdue and Notre Dame. :laugh:

ECKrueger
08-04-2011, 11:14 PM

The last few years it has definitely been:

1. Butler
2. Purdue
3. ND
4. all the other schools
5. iu

Dgreenwell3
08-06-2011, 08:29 AM
It's not hard to be better than IU these past few years...Indiana state made a run to the tournament last year and left the Hoosiers at home...would love to see an Indiana state IU game scheduled again but maybe we have been too tough for them recently ;)

BlueNGold
08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm a Purdue fan although I also graduated from IU. Purdue will always be my favorite, but everyone should expect the IU basketball program to turn it around. But they better watch it. IU has made some of the worst decisions while acquiring coaches since the departure of Bobby Knight. It's as if they've tried to destroy the program...and they've about succeeded.

Slick Pinkham
08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Purdue was a national powerhouse in men's basketball, before World War II and briefly in 1969.

Dgreenwell3
08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm a Purdue fan although I also graduated from IU. Purdue will always be my favorite, but everyone should expect the IU basketball program to turn it around. But they better watch it. IU has made some of the worst decisions while acquiring coaches since the departure of Bobby Knight. It's as if they've tried to destroy the program...and they've about succeeded.

IMHO they made a big mistake in hiring crean...they can recruit purely because they are IU but crean isn't an elite in game coach like izzo, tubby, painter or Matta. Zeller is a nice player but he won't and can't carry a team like sullinger. Anyone who thinks they are making the tourney, is flat-out crazy.

Merz
08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Larry even talks a little trash in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LH8qisTVj0