PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to NBA/Pacer Basketball

BlueNGold
07-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Normally I would not post this in the main forum, but thought it might be appropriate with the lockout. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Based on the current situation, I cannot see basketball starting in November and I suspect the earliest we see it is January 2012. With that said, if I fill my time with sports this fall it will be a healthy dose of college basketball and football...which I previously sacrificed for the Pacers. I already follow the NFL a bit. What are you going to do with all those extra hours?

ECKrueger
07-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Watch the Boilermakers, Buccaneers, and do homework earlier probably.

Psyren
07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Watch football and actually get my work done on time at night instead of putting it off to watch Pacer games.

Major Cold
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
If networks were smart they would air some slam ball.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ouXw328WYI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cdash
07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Be super ****ing depressed. This thread isn't helping.

Pacer!
07-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Three letters... A.F.L. ... you yanks don't know what ur missing out on!

Sookie
07-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I've got Uconn hoops.

KingGeorge
07-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Colts and go to more IU basketball games.

adamscb
07-27-2011, 03:38 AM
i'll watch more NCAA hoops instead of NBA, and likely get NFL Game Rewind so i can watch every NFL game

granger33
07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Three letters... A.F.L. ... you yanks don't know what ur missing out on!

you mean aussie rules? or the American one?

ballism
07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
EuroBasket / Euroleague

Pacer!
07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
you mean aussie rules? or the American one?

Haha definitely Aussie rules! if that ever gets locked out then I'll reallyyyy get pissed

xtacy
07-27-2011, 08:17 AM
EuroBasket / Euroleague

same here.

and turkish league. deron williams and may be more.

duke dynamite
07-27-2011, 09:07 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ind/sports/m-baskbl/auto_wide/681368.jpeg

Really?
07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
HS basketball in Indiana this year should be real good... I know I will catch a couple of games no matter what...

ChristianDudley
07-27-2011, 10:34 AM
IU IU I U U U

HickeyS2000
07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Haha definitely Aussie rules! if that ever gets locked out then I'll reallyyyy get pissed

I spend a lot of time in Australia and cannot get into Aussie rules. But I do love me some Rugby League!

I Love P
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Colts, defend my fantasy football title and college hoops. Also, thinking about switching to DirecTv to get that free NFL Ticket this year.

thatch3232
07-27-2011, 11:14 AM
HS basketball in Indiana this year should be real good... I know I will catch a couple of games no matter what...

If your ever in the mood for a good 1A game, come check out my team Liberty Christian in Anderson

duke dynamite
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I know living in Bedford one of the largest gyms in the country is at my old High School. It's a great place to watch a HS Basketball game.

Also, go to Loogootee, small gym, amazing atmostphere. Simply stunning for a small town of only 2,700 residents.

Since86
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Also, go to Loogootee, small gym, amazing atmostphere. Simply stunning for a small town of only 2,700 residents.

And then watch a game where they hold the ball for 3mins. Ugh.

duke dynamite
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
And then watch a game where they hold the ball for 3mins. Ugh.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. :laugh:

Hicks
07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I do have the New Castle Fieldhouse just blocks away from my house. I've been neglecting to attend many games for years now; it's probably time I strongly consider going regularly, when I can (damned night work).

BRushWithDeath
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I do have the New Castle Fieldhouse just blocks away from my house. I've been neglecting to attend many games for years now; it's probably time I strongly consider going regularly, when I can (damned night work).

I'm a big proponent of the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame next door. It's worth a trip for anyone in the vicinity who hasn't been and has any interest whatsoever in the history of basketball in this state.

kielbeze
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I know living in Bedford one of the largest gyms in the country is at my old High School. It's a great place to watch a HS Basketball game.

I am thinking I may go do the same I might hit up the amazing Muncie fieldhouse to watch my Muncie Southside Rebels and coach Baumgardner
(Who I may add is one of the best coaches in the state) Play a few games this year. Did not get to do that last year and I missed is a lot.

graphic-er
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm gonna start watching the Indy Car series. I'll pay attention to the Colts more, which will be tough because I generally do not like watching football anymore, since they started pulling their starters and forgoing the attempt of a perfect season.

imbtyler
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I'll probably watch more college basketball this year than I have in the past. I'm mostly interested in Indiana colleges and UCF (since I live in Orlando), but I'll be focused primarily on next year's draft prospects. If nothing else, I'll have a full, quality mock draft by next summer.

Trader Joe
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfinder.com/files/2009/11/Indiana-University-logo.jpg

http://aux.iconpedia.net/uploads/1278105613.png

Brad8888
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fLexgOxsZu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ilive4sports
07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
watching a lot of football. College basketball is gonna suck for me because Penn State is going to be terrible this year. So I will focus on the Eagles and Penn State football.

And lots and lots of sc2

pizza guy
07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
The NBA season starts before February? I'm usually so wrapped up in football that basketball is on the back burner. I know it's blasphemy around here, but it's how it is for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure my wife would go insane if I watched every possible game, lol

granger33
07-28-2011, 01:14 AM

Who do you follow? I'm a kangas man. Boomer Harvey is a gun!

Pingu
07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
http://aux.iconpedia.net/uploads/1278105613.png

There's a friendly rematch of the Champions League final between Man Utd and Barcelona this Saturday at 7 pm ET I think, on ESPN 2 and ESPN3.com.

WoodyHayes78
07-28-2011, 03:54 AM
My Indiana State Sycamores should be great next year. I'm pretty stoked.

BillS
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I will head to the Fieldhouse and wander around looking lost and forlorn, then remember that at least that's a game I don't have to pay for NEXT year.

:sad:

cdash
07-28-2011, 06:05 PM

I think the mighty Purple Aces win the MVC next year!!!

xBulletproof
07-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty annoyed at the lockout, but on the bright side it looks like I'll be much more informed about the incoming players from college. I usually don't watch college, but I do need my basketball fix. So, when the draft rolls around the next time, I won't be cramming at the last minute to find film and watch games on guys like usual.

Ah well.

Scot Pollard
07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Definitely going to be hitting up some IU games this year. Probably more than I would normally during a season.

Possibly won't be going to far and just go to IUPUI games considering I get tickets once in a while and head over to the campus here and there for work.

Also, will be watching my Atlanta Falcons tear it up this season!

Maybe even go to a Colts game.

BUT I WANT MY PACERS BASKETBALL DAMN IT!

WoodyHayes78
07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I think the mighty Purple Aces win the MVC next year!!!

It should be a fun year but I think Jake Odum leads us to another mvc title

BlueNGold
07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Does anyone here think they will move on from the NBA? I ask that because in the early 1990's the baseball strike drove a lot of people away and I happened to be one of them. I've not been back to baseball. I started following basketball (college and pro's to a greater extent and just took the summer off to play softball. I kind of doubt I will move on even if we lose the whole season, but other interests may take off.

Scot Pollard
07-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Does anyone here think they will move on from the NBA? I ask that because in the early 1990's the baseball strike drove a lot of people away and I happened to be one of them. I've not been back to baseball. I started following basketball (college and pro's to a greater extent and just took the summer off to play softball. I kind of doubt I will move on even if we lose the whole season, but other interests may take off.

I don't think so. Well not me at least.

The NBA has become one of the more popular leagues in America today.

If anything, it might take a little while for it to reach that height again, but I don't think it would be permanently damaged due to a season lockout.

Heck, even here in Indy, a lot of people are excited for Pacers basketball again and have something to look forward to when this is all over with. Especially with the Colts going in the opposite direction and it looking like it's going downhill from here. The Pacers are only going to get better.

BlueNGold
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think so. Well not me at least.

The NBA has become one of the more popular leagues in America today.

If anything, it might take a little while for it to reach that height again, but I don't think it would be permanently damaged due to a season lockout.

Heck, even here in Indy, a lot of people are excited for Pacers basketball again and have something to look forward to when this is all over with. Especially with the Colts going in the opposite direction and it looking like it's going downhill from here. The Pacers are only going to get better.

I do agree with you.

At the same time, the NBA's biggest stars are not popular with most people. I'm talking about LeBron and Kobe. Also, the personalities and their teams are just not that good. The days of Jordan and the Bulls, Bird and the Celtics, Magic/Kareem and the Lakers...and even the evil Knicks of the 90's and later the Pistons...the league is in a funk IMO whether or not viewership is up. The product is unquestionably down from the mid to late 80's to late 90's especially.

Steagles
07-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Three letters.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_e4ZziMFo5L4/S8EWECjgD6I/AAAAAAAAAVw/ivyNpLhgXso/s1600/lfl+Logo.jpg

L. F. L.

Hicks
07-28-2011, 10:42 PM

It would be hard for me to imagine, personally, however if this thing starts to eat into NEXT season as well, I may consider it out of frustration and disgust. Then again, once it finally did return, I'd probably get sucked right back in.

With that said, I'm still slightly hopeful we'll get at least part of the 2011-2012 season, so I'm not ready to start worrying about the 2012-2013 season yet.

Kegboy
07-28-2011, 11:28 PM
It would be hard for me to imagine, personally, however if this thing starts to eat into NEXT season as well, I may consider it out of frustration and disgust.

Oh come now. You survived 3.5 years of JOB, you can survive a two-year lockout.

BlueNGold
07-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Oh come now. You survived 3.5 years of JOB, you can survive a two-year lockout.

Man, there is a lot of wisdom in this statement.

Scot Pollard
07-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I do agree with you.

At the same time, the NBA's biggest stars are not popular with most people. I'm talking about LeBron and Kobe. Also, the personalities and their teams are just not that good. The days of Jordan and the Bulls, Bird and the Celtics, Magic/Kareem and the Lakers...and even the evil Knicks of the 90's and later the Pistons...the league is in a funk IMO whether or not viewership is up. The product is unquestionably down from the mid to late 80's to late 90's especially.

The NBA was much more competitive back in the 80's and 90's which lured people in and to be fans of their local teams. IOW, there really weren't any bandwagon fans like there are today.

So I do get what you're saying and I agree. It was all about team. Not just a star or a super group trying to pull the whole team together. The Celtics, IMO are a good example of that. You still have your stars on that team, but with them, it's a whole team effort. Also another great example is the Mavericks. Blue collared guys working together with Dirk leading the way.

A lot of people these watch the NBA for the stars, but at the same time it's giving the league a bad appearance. Making it look like it's entertainment with all the big market teams and their super teams.

This lockout, when resolved, is only going to help the NBA become much more competitive again. All 30 teams will be given a chance into the future. Big markets won't be as big a deal. If say Dwight Howard wants to go to the Knicks, the Knicks will have to give probably Amare to Orlando to manage their cap.

This lockout would probably have been more necessary if it was done last offseason to before the FA circus.

What I'm trying to say is tough to explain. Yes there will see be the "LeBron-Heat" fans like there were "LeBron Cavalier" fans, but as for the Heat, they might be stuck with the LeBron/Wade/Bosh trio and garbage because another fairly big FA like Nene will throw them way over the cap. Unless of course they part ways with one of those guys. Maybe 2 if they really want to get better and get a group together that can work togther doing different things like Boston's trio.

The NBA would like to become like the NFL. All teams have the chance the compete in different spans of time. Rather than big markets always dominating because they can lure the FAs.

DeS
07-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Eurobasket 2011 of course ;)

There will be playing lots of european NBA players, stars (like Dirk) including.
For example France team planned to use 10 players from NBA:
N. Batum („Trail Blazers“), T. Parker („Spurs“), J. Noaho („Bulls“), B. Diawo („Bobcats“), R. Turiaf („Knicks“), Alexis Ajinca („Raptors“), Rodrigue Beauboisas, Ianas Mahinmi („Mavericks“), Johan Petro („Nets“) and Mickael Pietrus („Suns“).

Might be the best basketball you get on earth until next year.

Pacersalltheway10
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Butler Bulldogs

judicata
07-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Carolina has a great team this year, and I'll be watching every second of it. Duke has a chance to be pretty bad (by their standards) so I'll hopefully get to watch them get blown out a few times.

Kentucky has a great young team coming in. They will be fun to watch even as I cheer for the other team. NBA fans should catch a couple of games because half of their rotation is going to make an NBA All-Star team at some point.

I also think there is a very good chance that one of the Carolina big men is drafted to the Pacers next year, so that might be worth your time.

ECKrueger
07-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Three letters.

L. F. L.

Heck. Yes. It is like a real "fantasy" league if you know what I mean ;)

Other than that it is Purdue and the Buccaneers. I would also to be curious to see if my grades went up with a lockout.

BringJackBack
07-30-2011, 06:34 AM
I've been going to the Pro AM Summer League, it is pretty awesome. The show that Eric Gordon and especially George Hill put on was outstanding on Thursday. The Playoff semi-finals are Tuesday and I recommend that hoop fans attend.

When that is over, I'll just hang out with my friends and come up with little projects to do with my spare time. I've started watching Tosh.o and Louis CK a lot more recently, along with watching series' of That 70's Show, King of the Hill, and Weeds. It passes the time that I'd be spending watching Pacers basketball.

ECKrueger
07-30-2011, 01:31 PM
I love Tosh and Weeds

ksuttonjr76
07-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this yet...

NBA 2K12

cgg
07-30-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this yet...

NBA 2K12

We're too busy playing NBA 2k11 to be posting about it.

Pacersalltheway10
07-30-2011, 06:54 PM
When does NBA 2k12 come out

Brad8888
07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I know, we could write poems about the Pacers or the NBA!

Let's start with a past favorite, the haiku!

Writing poetry
Professional basketball
Creative pastime

DrFife
07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I know, we could write poems about the Pacers or the NBA!

Let's start with a past favorite, the haiku!

Writing poetry
Professional basketball
Creative pastime

Ugh, please don't torment
my starved soul, lest I foment
restless discontent.

Brad8888
07-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Ugh, please don't torment
my starved soul, lest I foment
restless discontent.

:bowdown:

Lance George
07-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Lingerie Basketball - Where beauty meets the hardwood. (http://lingeriebasketball.com/)

ksuttonjr76
07-31-2011, 09:43 AM
When does NBA 2k12 come out

October 4th.

Reginald
08-01-2011, 08:19 AM
The NBA was much more competitive back in the 80's and 90's which lured people in and to be fans of their local teams. IOW, there really weren't any bandwagon fans like there are today.

Huh? The 80s and 90s invented the term "bandwagon fan". Show me a fan from that era in a Magic, Bird or Jordan jersey, and there was a 90% chance none of those three fans were from LA, Boston or Chicago. I've been going to Pacers games since the 70s, my family was a season ticket holder from 1984-2007, and my favorite NBA player wasn't even on the Pacers until the mid 90s. (And you could make the case that the only reason that even happened was because Reggie stepped into the vacuum created by MJ's retirement.)

I don't see really any difference. If anything, watching fans in this year's post-season in cities like Portland, Memphis and Oklahoma City reminded me a lot of the MSA crowd at its loudest and best.

Reginald
08-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Alternatives for NBA hoops? Truthfully, I don't even acknowledge basketball exists until the last couple weeks of March.

I'm a football fan first, basketball fan second. And I'm a marathon runner who hasn't owned a gaming console since 1984, so any talk about NBA 2K11/2K12 might as well be in Phoenician.

Hailey12
08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
GTBA BASKETBALL (www.gogtba.com)! Playoffs start tonight. Championship is going to be a Conseco this season. Join the next season to pass the time. If the Pacers arent playing you might as well be.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7JS_J3AUbLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hailey12
08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Last day to sign-up is this Saturday 8/27/2011 and participate in the combine if you are going to be a rookie.

Check out the page or PM me if you would like to know more.

http://www.gogtba.com/ (gogtba.com)

Seriously I wouldnt post this on here if I didnt think this was the best basketball league in Indiana.

Here is this seasons champions at Conseco!
http://gogtba.com/images/stories/PandaX-Summer-2011-Champions.jpg

JEM
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Video games... Uncharted 3 , Battlefield 3 , Elder Scrolls 5.

Gold
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM

This!

Dgreenwell3
08-29-2011, 06:16 PM
This!

Valley title here we come!

Constellations
08-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Gears of War 3 & Call of Duty: MW3

DaveP63
08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

This, IU, ND football...and catching up on some Champion's League soccer. Australian V8 Supercars maybe some DTM.

Dgreenwell3
08-30-2011, 08:12 AM
This, IU, ND football...and catching up on some Champion's League soccer. Australian V8 Supercars maybe some DTM.

Indiana state football...trees are going to be contenders for the valley title behind NFL prospect quarterback and former washington huskie Ronnie Fouch

bellisimo
08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/index.html

Daniel33
08-31-2011, 12:28 PM
FIBA European Championship for now. :)

31andonly
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
FIBA European Championship for now. :)

This!!!

imbtyler
08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
If you aren't keeping up with the "lockout leagues" going on right now, you're missing out. Here's some highlights from the "best game of the summer", featuring LeBron, Carmelo, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Josh Selby, and others. I think some of the budding "rivalries" during the extended offseason will make for a better, more competitive 2011-12 season.

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/haE__2e3kDo?rel=0&amp;hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>