PDA

View Full Version : Mark Patrick no longer on AM 1260 WNDE

Unclebuck
07-25-2011, 03:10 PM
This was news to me. I guess this happened on Friday

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110722/SPORTS/110722024/Mark-Patrick-no-longer-employed-by-WNDE-1260?odyssey=obinsite

Local <NOBR style="COLOR: #4b4b4b" id=itxthook0w0nobr class="itxtrst itxtrstnobr itxthooknobr">sportshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif</NOBR> (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110722/SPORTS/110722024/Mark-Patrick-no-longer-employed-by-WNDE-1260?odyssey=obinsite#) talk host Mark Patrick is no longer employed by WNDE-1260.
Patrick had been competing against 1070-The Fan’s JMV and XL 950's The Zone in the late afternoon drive time slot.

“Mark's contract was coming up on renewal and both parties decided to not renew and part ways,” WNDE announced on its website. “We wish Mark the very best and hope you'll continue to listen to 1260 WNDE. The Loose Cannons from Fox sports will be filling in until we have our next local show on the air.”

Patrick is the father of Washington Nationals pitcher Drew Storen

Heisenberg
07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Saw Kravitz tweeting about it with someone the other day. I had no idea he was Drew Stroen's dad, that kid can pitch.

pacers74
07-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I used to listen to Mark Patrick when he was on with JMV a few years ago, but I always liked JMV better even back then. I think it was a desperate move by 1260 to hire him anyway. He just isn't as good as JMV and could not compete with him.

Sandman21
07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't even know Mark was still on the air.

pacers74
07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't even know Mark was still on the air.

He came on after JMV left 1260. I listened for a short while, but he just isn't that interesting.

PacerDude
07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Thank God that we got rid of one twit. Now, let's get rid of the other.

Local sports talk radio is absolutely horrible.

Gamble1
07-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank God that we got rid of one twit. Now, let's get rid of the other.

Local sports talk radio is absolutely horrible.
Watchu talkin about Willis????

Local sports talk is actually pretty good. I never like Mark but I like all the guest they have and the relevance of local sports teams.

redfoster
07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Will someone fire Dan Dakich, too? Like PacerDude said, our local sports radio is awful.

Grady is our only guy who always delivers a good show.

Sandman21
07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
What other twit?

JMV is usually really well done with the guests, and I don't listen to Schultz much on 950, but he is a friend of a friend, so I got to pull some for him.

I do miss Rakestraw being on air on a regular basis though. I actually met him when he was at 950 in 2004. For some strange reason, I found his business card in my wallet recently. :D

Lance George
07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't think I've seen Mark Patrick since I watched Hoosier Millionaire back in the '90s.

Day-V
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Schultz and Grady are the only local guys worth a damn on the radio. And both of those guys are very good. Everything else is a steep, steep downgrade.

presto123
07-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Feel bad for Mark. He's actually pretty funny sometimes. I do love JMV. He does a great job IMO and he is big on pop culture as well. He is very opinionated and usually won't budge so I can see why some people wouldn't like him. Does anybody know why JMV left 1260? Money? I find it hard to believe some of you are big Pacer fans and never listen to local sports talk.

LetsTalkPacers
07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
My wife works for the big sister station of WNDE. She said they will no longer be broadcasting ESPN on WNDE, and any contracts that were syndicated through ESPN were not renewed to make way for FSN on 1260. They just signed a deal to syndicate FSN on 1260.

Speed
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I find the callers the by far the worse part of all of the Indy talk radio shows. Honestly, what possesses people to call in who know almost nothing about sports? Chicago sports talk is awesome by comparison, its rough, but most folks at least really understand whats going on.

I turn it off when they do open phones more often than not, do I really need to hear that the Pacers need to get a player like Kobe and how they just don't want it enough or they'd go get a Shaq type guy.

I'd rather listen to our own Mark Boyle talk about Sports in general than any of the caller nonsense. Really that or a Simmons podcast is equally as entertaining depending on what he's talking about.

90'sNBARocked
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Saw Kravitz tweeting about it with someone the other day. I had no idea he was Drew Stroen's dad, that kid can pitch.
If he is Patrick's son why is his last name Stroen's

90'sNBARocked
07-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I find the callers the by far the worse part of all of the Indy talk radio shows. Honestly, what possesses people to call in who know almost nothing about sports? Chicago sports talk is awesome by comparison, its rough, but most folks at least really understand whats going on.

I turn it off when they do open phones more often than not, do I really need to hear that the Pacers need to get a player like Kobe and how they just don't want it enough or they'd go get a Shaq type guy.

I'd rather listen to our own Mark Boyle talk about Sports in general than any of the caller nonsense. Really that or a Simmons podcast is equally as entertaining depending on what he's talking about.

I feel ya, I have often thought "oh great another non sports knowing, country twang having, misrepresentation on Indy, sports caller

of course we know that Indiana has pllenty of knowlegable sports fans, they just never get on the air

vnzla81
07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I still don't know what are they waiting for to get rid of Jim Rome, he is pretty bad.

Smoothdave1
07-25-2011, 06:50 PM
If he is Patrick's son why is his last name Stroen's

Patrick is his stage name.

I had nothing against Mark, but he talks a lot about baseball and his son for obvious reasons. I think that he struggled to find a demographic to cater to.

But I am a fan of JMV and listen daily on my way home from work. I like his blend of pop culture and sports intertwined and he respects his callers. Besides, how can you not like a guy like JMV who will shout out Pacers Digest, posts on here, is from Indiana and knows the sports landscape better than just about anybody?

PacerDude
07-25-2011, 07:17 PM
What other twit?
JMV.

His next opinion will be his first, he does HORRIBLE interviews, is clueless about most topics and tries too hard to imitate Jim Rome.

Everyone has their own opinion and I'm sure there are some that actually like him. His voice and style are just irritating. Schultz is getting better, but still hangs on to the east coast a bit too much. Grady is OK, Dakich has his moments - just not enough of them. Patrick was just an idiot.

Local sports talk radio is just awful. No other way to put it. I've traveled around a bit and have listened to other guys in other cities and the difference is just amazing. It's not simply a parade of clueless callers, kissing the glutes of the local team (for fear that you might P them off and not get an interview down the road), and taking the middle road on everything. There's got to be SOMEONE that can host an entertaining and informative show. PLEASE.

xBulletproof
07-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Typo? Drew Storen you mean? I have no clue who 'Stroen' is, but Storen can sure pitch. I follow baseball well enough I think I'm sure it was a typo. I had no idea he was from Indiana at all though. Just watched him rack up a save in DC a couple weeks ago live. He has good stuff.

90'sNBARocked
07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I like JMV, not sure where the dislike is coming from but each are entitled to their opinion, and I really like Dackich, and I am not a IU fan

presto123
07-25-2011, 07:57 PM
It's all subjective. Some people love Howard Stern and I think he's an over rated idiot.

Roaming Gnome
07-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, about 10 years ago I was working with someone that went to high school with Mark Patrick while listening to him. The guy told me that his last name was actually Storen. I've always wondered if he was related to the Storen family that either was tied to the ABA Pacers General Manager or the Storen Tax Service in Brownsburg.

Granville
07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, about 10 years ago I was working with someone that went to high school with Mark Patrick while listening to him. The guy told me that his last name was actually Storen. I've always wondered if he was related to the Storen family that either was tied to the ABA Pacers General Manager or the Storen Tax Service in Brownsburg.

He is related. Hannah Storm is actually Hannah Storen, and the daughter of the former Pacers guy. Hannah and Mark are cousins.

Naptown_Seth
07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Schultz and Grady are the only local guys worth a damn on the radio. And both of those guys are very good. Everything else is a steep, steep downgrade.
I love Kevin Lee. Love him with Pacers talk and he's outstanding for racing too. Good voice/delivery, but more importantly he's well informed on his subjects.

Actually I think JMV with Robin Miller is about as entertaining as you can get, even when I don't agree with Miller.

grace
07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Anyone with Robin Miller makes me want to :suicide4:

While I'm no big baseball fan I still liked MPOS. Can't stand the crap they put on in his place. Oh well, back to 950 when I can get a signal. :sigh:

Naptown_Seth
07-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Totally agree. 1 in 8 maybe have an interesting point. The rest is just so ignorant of the subject. How is it that you love sports so much you call in to a show about it, but then don't know who the players are, get stats or salaries wrong, etc?

It's both dumbfounding and embarrassing.

Sandman21
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
I love Kevin Lee. Love him with Pacers talk and he's outstanding for racing too. Good voice/delivery, but more importantly he's well informed on his subjects.

The really amazing part is that he really doesn't prepare for his broadcasts like other broadcasters do. I attended an Indiana Association of Student Broadcasters convention several years ago, and Kevin was speaking in one of the seminars. Of course, as a fellow Ben Davis alum, I had to attend that one. :D He was really unprepared, and I don't really remember anything else about it.:laugh: Later on, the Ben Davis Mass Media instructor insinuated that was Kevin's style, even back in high school.:laugh:

Don't be surprised if he's anchoring the Indianapolis 500 in a few years if NBC goes after the broadcast rights. He's really done a great job anchoring the Versus Indycar coverage this year.

Slick Pinkham
07-26-2011, 12:15 AM
He is related. Hannah Storm is actually Hannah Storen, and the daughter of the former Pacers guy. Hannah and Mark are cousins.

Yes, Mike Storen was vice president and general manager of the Pacers, left to fill that role with the Colonels, then became the ABA commisioner.

Hannah is his daughter and Mike is his brother's son, as I recall.

:geezer:

Roaming Gnome
07-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Yes, Mike Storen was vice president and general manager of the Pacers, left to fill that role with the Colonels, then became the ABA commisioner.

Hannah is his daughter and Mike is his brother's son, as I recall.

:geezer:

Thanks fellas... Mystery solved! I knew Hannah Storm was related from reading Loose Balls, but I always wondered the connection, or if there was a connection with Mark "Patrick" when I found out his last name was actually "Storen" a decade ago.

90'sNBARocked
07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
It's all subjective. Some people love Howard Stern and I think he's an over rated idiot.

And I just found more respect for you :)

Stern was never funny to me. In fact I think David Stern has more talent than Howard

90'sNBARocked
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Totally agree. 1 in 8 maybe have an interesting point. The rest is just so ignorant of the subject. How is it that you love sports so much you call in to a show about it, but then don't know who the players are, get stats or salaries wrong, etc?

Some people just like to hear themselves on the radio bro

Unclebuck
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I listened to all three local station on my drive home from work. Whichever station was talking about the Pacers and or the NBA is the one I would listen too. I would say that Schultz on AM 950 talked about the pacers more than the other two. So since January I probably listened to him the most.

Mark Patrick is annoying to me, but he sometimes got good guests, so for that I did listen to him at times.

JMV, I agree is not a good interviewer, he rarely asks a question. I enjoy his sports commentaries though and of the three he seems like a guy I would rather hang around if I had too.

Dakich is my favorite locally though.

Anyone ever used to listen to Chet Choppick out of Chicago. he was on several different stations. His radio show was IMO the best I ever heard. It was wall to wall guests, I mean he would have big-time local and national guests every hour, 5 or 6 per hour. It was an amazing show. he never took any callers.

he was on Wishtv in the 70's. And he probably is a jerk and was fired several times, and probably a pain in the butt to deal with, but man was his show great. in the late 80's and early 90's I would listen to his show every night - he was on the Bulls flagship station back then and I learned so much about the NBA listening to his show. His questions were long winded and his act could wear thin, but the guests he would have back to back was incredible.

Tom White
07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Honestly, what possesses people to call in who know almost nothing about sports?

Alcohol?

90'sNBARocked
07-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I listened to all three local station on my drive home from work. Whichever station was talking about the Pacers and or the NBA. I would say that Schult on AM 950 talked about the pacers more than the other two. So since January I probably listened to him the most.

Mark Patrick is annoying to me, but he sometimes got good guests, so for that I did listen to him at times.

JMV, I agree is not a good interviewing, he rarely asks a question. I enjoy his sports commentaries though and of the three he seems like a guy I would rather hang around if I had too.

Dakich is my favorite locally though.
In general I agree, fewer callers and more guests.

Anyone ever used to listen to Chet Choppick out of Chicago. he was on several different stations. His radio show was IMO the best I ever heard. It was wall to wall guests, I mean he would have big-time local and national guests every hour, 5 or 6 per hour. It was an amazing show. he never took any callers.

he was on Wishtv in the 70's. And he probably is a jerk and was fired several times, and probably a pain in the butt to deal with, but man was his show great. in the late 80's and early 90's I would listen to his show every night - he was on the Bulls flagship station back then and I learned so much about the NBA listening to his show. His questions were long winded and his act could wear thin, but the guests he would have back to back was incredible.

Chet Coppock is still on 670am Chicago. He mostly does the score updates but does fill in host and I think he has a show on Sundays. He was always very knowledgable especially basketball and hockey

90'sNBARocked
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Check this link out on Chet

http://chetcoppock.tumblr.com/

90'sNBARocked
07-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Alcohol?

Picked on in Highschool?

Intelligent about other topics, but ignorant enough to think they know sports?

Tom White
07-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Patrick is his stage name.

...and the last name is Storen, not Stroen. For long time (think ABA) Pacer fans, the last name of Storen should ring a bell.

Tom White
07-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Agreed. One of the funniest things I remember about him is actually from listening to the Dan Patrick show when he was on ESPN radio, not that I really was a fan of Dan Patrick either.

Anyway, Dan Patrick was doing an interview with George Karl. Towards the end of the segment Karl mentioned that when he was done on Dan's show, he had another interview with Mark Patrick. Karl asked Dan if Mark was related to him, maybe his brother. Dan just replied "No, but he (Mark) would like to be.".

owl
07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Anybody catch Mark Patrick and few years ago when he had Bill Polian and Jay Somebody on and Bill went nuclear on Jay??? Mark was at a loss for words after that exchange.
Good times.....

Roaming Gnome
07-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Anybody catch Mark Patrick and few years ago when he had Bill Polian and Jay Somebody on and Bill went nuclear on Jay??? Mark was at a loss for words after that exchange.
Good times.....

Yeah, it was pretty clear that Jay Mohr clearly got under Bill Polian's skin from some of the stuff he was saying on Jim Rome's radio show from earlier either that very day or earlier in that week as a fill in host for J. Rome. If you didn't hear Mohr's comments prior to that "tragic" interview.... You probably just assumed that Bill Polian lost it & went off the deep end.

pacers74
07-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Good times.....

Jay Mohr

makaveli
07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
The really amazing part is that he really doesn't prepare for his broadcasts like other broadcasters do. I attended an Indiana Association of Student Broadcasters convention several years ago, and Kevin was speaking in one of the seminars. Of course, as a fellow Ben Davis alum, I had to attend that one. :D He was really unprepared, and I don't really remember anything else about it.:laugh: Later on, the Ben Davis Mass Media instructor insinuated that was Kevin's style, even back in high school.:laugh:

Don't be surprised if he's anchoring the Indianapolis 500 in a few years if NBC goes after the broadcast rights. He's really done a great job anchoring the Versus Indycar coverage this year.

Kevin was my first program director at Ben Davis when I was on WBDG. Yes he can come off as unprepared but make no mistake, Kevin is light years ahead of most.

As for Mark, Living in Brownsburg for the last 13 years I was always partial to MPOS. However, I think this latest incarnation of the show was way way behind the last one and even the national MPOS on FSR. I know Mark watered down his shtick when he was hosting Baseball this Morning (or whatever it was called) on XM and that seemed to carry over. Mark lives next door to good friends of ours and is actually a great guy and we have known Drew for years and he's an awesome kid, so I was kind of hoping it would work out for Mark. I know they had their house for sell (if you have an extra 2.9 mil its an awesome crib with an indoor basketball court, pitching mound and batting cage) so I don't know if they were in a financial pinch or were just downsizing. Mark actually owns the neighborhood on the north side of Brownsburg where all the houses are over a million dollars but I think when the bottom fell out of the real estate market it had to hurt.

I know one thing I will miss is his having Melvin Bullitt on once a week.....Melvin is hilarious and if there is a programming hole to fill someone should call his agent.

Oh yeah....Dakich sucks.

Jose Slaughter
07-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I tried listening to JMV for awhile on my way home from work.

I have a hard time getting AM in the car, but I gave it a shot.

The final straw was a 17 minute rant about selling fireworks between two 7 minute breaks.

Total crap!

If thats the listeners he's trying to get.... it's not me.

dal9
07-26-2011, 12:07 PM
I tried listening to JMV for awhile on my way home from work.

I have a hard time getting AM in the car, but I gave it a shot.

The final straw was a 17 minute rant about selling fireworks between two 7 minute breaks.

Total crap!

If thats the listeners he's trying to get.... it's not me.

I drive through Indy sometimes, and the length+frequency of the commercial breaks (on the sports talk channels) seem completely out of line with what you get in other major markets...it was basically unlistenable...

dal9
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it was pretty clear that Jay Mohr clearly got under Bill Polian's skin from some of the stuff he was saying on Jim Rome's radio show from earlier either that very day or earlier in that week as a fill in host for J. Rome. If you didn't hear Mohr's comments prior to that "tragic" interview.... You probably just assumed that Bill Polian lost it & went off the deep end.

i don't remember the polian thing, but I think I like Mohr more than Rome even when he fills in...

but even w/ his acting career gonig down hill, I doubt WNDE could afford him...and he doesn't seem like he would dig living in Indiana..

90'sNBARocked
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I drive through Indy sometimes, and the length+frequency of the commercial breaks (on the sports talk channels) seem completely out of line with what you get in other major markets...it was basically unlistenable...

No doubt!!

Its either the freakin Shaq commerical with the "ya ya ya, ya ya" for drunk driving , or the I was just buzzed comercial"

Know them both by heart :(

dal9
07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
No doubt!!

Its either the freakin Shaq commerical with the "ya ya ya, ya ya" for drunk driving , or the I was just buzzed comercial"

lol, i don't remember the specific ones, but i do remember that there were a lot of them...it seriously seemed like more commercials than talk....

PacerDude
07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
............. Chet Choppick .............
he was on Wishtv in the 70's. He was the host for the Pacers telethon back in the 70's.

http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/sports/basketball/indiana_pacers/stories/2002_0702.html

And yes, he was (is) a pompous, arrogant guy.

Heisenberg
07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
uhh...yes "Stroen" was a typo...

Tom White
07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
No doubt!!

One that bothers me as much is the Krogers ad during the radio broadcasts of the Pacer games. You know, the "You should have shopped at Kroger" ad. I just want to reach through my radio and slug the guy.

redfoster
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
What exactly is there to like about Dakich?

He answered his cell phone on air the other day and told his kid to wash his mom's car. How is that any better than JMV talking about fireworks? Also, he leaves dead air way too often. He reminds me of Rome in that way. He will just pause for 7 seconds and say nothing.

presto123
07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
I listen to sports talk radio for more than sports. JMV is my fav. He is just an all around good dude the kind of guy that you would want to sit down and have a beer with. I don't mind pop culture references in fact I love it. JMV talks a lot of 80's stuff and I love that era.

Sandman21
07-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Kevin was my first program director at Ben Davis when I was on WBDG. Yes he can come off as unprepared but make no mistake, Kevin is light years ahead of most.
Absolutely (especially as a fellow WBDG alum :D). Even though I honestly don't remember anything about the seminar (for the record, I also attended one that day by yet ANOTHER WBDG alum, Kevin Gregory, and I can't remember anything from it either!:laugh:)

RamBo_Lamar
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm happy for Mark Patrick. Now he has plenty of time to stand around in front of a
mirror and practice that stupid "Dirk LaNeck" thing he used to do when on WISH8.

Do like listening to JMV...the guy is a riot, and isn't afraid to say things many of us
might think but won't speak of out of political correctness. A very clever and funny
guy.

joeco
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I truly admire Mark Patrick's knowledge, hes a smart smart man. But he sounds so burned out and its apparent to everyone. He had some passion when JMV was his sidekick and the Pacers/Colts were good teams, but when he came back you could tell he wasnt offering much. Boring show

JMV is ok but he thinks hes so cool it gets on my nerves. I value his local sports opinions tho and he seems like he has a good grip on whats going on. Poor interviewer like other mentioned and hes only one level away from being terrible. I feel his show could bring so much more and he isnt living up to the "primetime" time slot.

I LOVED Kravitz and Eddie, especially with Grady as a sidekick. A+ show. Those guys got their hands dirty talking sports. It was funny and informative.

I like DD, when he brings it hes pretty good. He gives some behind the scenes talk and I love hearing it. His show isnt that good but good enough imo

Lou Bega
07-27-2011, 09:31 AM

What is embarrassing is our state's top college programs Notre Dame Football & IU Basketball have been terrible for several years. The fact they have @ the same time has hurt our states call in radio.

Indy has some decent callers. I miss the after pacers call in show w/ Kevin Lee. It was quality. I once heard an on air dissrespect of Jack Trudeau that lead to Trudeua wanting to fight this guy. Trudeau said you are real tough on the radio & told him to where he was @. It was great and rivaled any Tn fan calling up to talk the program in August.

Chicago has a bunch of loudmouths. They dont have any class. Look when their fans visited Conseco. Chicago SUCKS!!!!

Pacergeek
07-27-2011, 10:35 AM
What is embarrassing is our state's top college programs Notre Dame Football & IU Basketball have been terrible for several years. The fact they have @ the same time has hurt our states call in radio.

Indy has some decent callers. I miss the after pacers call in show w/ Kevin Lee. It was quality. I once heard an on air dissrespect of Jack Trudeau that lead to Trudeua wanting to fight this guy. Trudeau said you are real tough on the radio & told him to where he was @. It was great and rivaled any Tn fan calling up to talk the program in August.

Chicago has a bunch of loudmouths. They dont have any class. Look when their fans visited Conseco. Chicago SUCKS!!!!

Lol. I remember that call. Dude told jack he wasn't even a "has been", but a "never was".

Lou Bega
07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Lol. I remember that call. Dude told jack he wasn't even a "has been", but a "never was".

I am suprised it was even on the air for 3 minutes. Trudeau was getting dissed about everything not involving the underage drinking party. I really think Trudeau really wanted to fight the dude. He was a hillarious caller named Jonathan from Wanamaker.

Speed
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
What exactly is there to like about Dakich?

He answered his cell phone on air the other day and told his kid to wash his mom's car. How is that any better than JMV talking about fireworks? Also, he leaves dead air way too often. He reminds me of Rome in that way. He will just pause for 7 seconds and say nothing.

It's all what you like. Dakich is funny to me. He pretty much has about the same threshold for the nonsense callers that I do. He has an inside understanding of college basketball, AAU, what it takes to be a successful player. He understands the recruiting process, big time. He is interesting to me. He also has some good guests that he talks in depth too and knows what to ask them. I feel like I'm listening to an old college basketball coach when I listen to his show, because well thats what he is.

Some guys liking the callers on here, pretty much validates my feelings about how I feel about Indy callers. :)

I will say this, when there is a knowledgeble caller I do like it, it just never hardly happens.

I'm taking libertys with Mark Boyles take on talk radio, maybe, but I get the feeling he liked doing it, but the call in part is just horrific. I'd agree. Mark would veer from Sports, but really from when the Pacers end and the Colts start, there isn't much going on in this town that appeals to a mass audience.

If we had some of the better posters on here call in regularly, I'd feel differently, but its not them who are calling in. Its the people who we've (PD posters) had to answer to 5 years later about the Pacers being thugs, thats who is calling in. I get enough of that in every day interaction, honestly.

With all that said, I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE FRANK VOGEL SHOW!!!! Make it happen, Indy Sport Radio!! I can't wait to here "Our first caller tonight is Duke Dynamite, welcome to the show!!" :D

Lou Bega
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Dakich is cool if you like AAU basketball. He gives you updates. I dont care about AAU Basketball. I think Dan is arrogant and rude. He is a wannabe Chicago loudmouth. He can only coach AAU ball because no college will hire him. Bob Knight wont talk to him, let alone give him a recommendation. The fact his own former college coach wont have anything to do with him speaks volumes of Dakich charchter?

He gives respect to Greg Doyle of cbs.sports. I think Greg Doyle sucks along w/ Dakich.

Lou Bega
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
It is hard for callers to call in a show. They state their opinion but the host controls what they say via a single button. The Caller also never gets to give a rebuttal. I have heard several guys call w/ clever comments only to be shut down immediatly by the host.

I give JMV credit for not hanging up on people but he now works for 1070 and mgmt ahead of him & DAKICH/GRADY/JOE do not want callers on the radio. I have no problem with local guys calling in. In fact, my favorite show was the Sunday morning Voice of the fan w/ MG & local guests coming in. It was a great idea. MG is very classy, my only knock on him is he is little soft and sensitive. He does not take criticism well.

Tom White
07-27-2011, 01:51 PM
The fact his own former college coach wont have anything to do with him speaks volumes of Dakich charchter?

I think it speaks more to Knight's character, and not in a good way.

Lou Bega
07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I think it speaks more to Knight's character, and not in a good way.

Knight is bitter toward the whole IU program. Both Dakich and Knight are arrogant jerks IMO.

My main point is that w/ both IU basketball & Notre Dame football down @ the exact same time kills call in radio.

bphil
07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't mind most of the local hosts, but I refuse to listen to Schultz on XL950. I think it's almost embarrassing that a "local" show is hosted by a guy from Connecticut who is a hardcore Knicks/Giants fan. Hell, his profile on the XL950 web page used to say that his most hated player in the NBA was Reggie Miller (they took that down at some point, smart move IMHO).

Can you imagine a local show in Chicago being hosted by a guy from Detroit who talks up the Pistons constantly and craps on Jordan? No chance in hell that would ever happen. Local sports shows should be hosted by local guys who grew up with a rooting interest in the local teams. Isn't that the whole point of broadcasting a "local" show instead of just running a nationally syndicated program?

I really miss Rakestraw... Greg was fantastic.

Unclebuck
07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't mind most of the local hosts, but I refuse to listen to Schultz on XL950. I think it's almost embarrassing that a "local" show is hosted by a guy from Connecticut who is a hardcore Knicks/Giants fan. Hell, his profile on the XL950 web page used to say that his most hated player in the NBA was Reggie Miller (they took that down at some point, smart move IMHO).

Can you imagine a local show in Chicago being hosted by a guy from Detroit who talks up the Pistons constantly and craps on Jordan? No chance in hell that would ever happen. Local sports shows should be hosted by local guys who grew up with a rooting interest in the local teams. Isn't that the whole point of broadcasting a "local" show instead of just running a nationally syndicated program?

I really miss Rakestraw... Greg was fantastic.

I am the opposite 100%. I hated Rakestraw so much. Just the way he communicated. (he's beein filling in for Dakich this whole week) his favorite phrase "all things pacers" All things Colts...... he drove me crazy, he was the only one who I had to turn off even when he was discussing the pacers. Seems as though he never got to the point, he was the king of the filler, and being wordy.

Schultz I like because he is the only one who is a general NBA fan and talked a lot about the NBA playoffs, so for that reason I listened to him a lot.

In general I don't care whether the local guys like or hate the pacers, like or hate Reggie. As long as they are willing to dicsuss the pacers, it is fine with me

Sandman21
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
With all that said, I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE FRANK VOGEL SHOW!!!! Make it happen, Indy Sport Radio!! I can't wait to here "Our first caller tonight is Duke Dynamite, welcome to the show!!" :D
"Nobody wants to compete with the Frank Vogel Show! Nobody!":laugh:

bphil
08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
In general I don't care whether the local guys like or hate the pacers, like or hate Reggie. As long as they are willing to dicsuss the pacers, it is fine with me

A couple years ago before I knew about Schultz's Knick-ness, I heard him say, and I quote, "I'm not going to talk about the Pacers because there's nothing to talk about." That was during the season too, not in the summer.

I'm sure everyone here remembers the Knicks vs. the Hicks in the late '90s, right? All the trash talk between NY and Indy? Reggie and Spike? The infamous 4 point play? How can you listen to Schultz talking about the Pacers now knowing that he was watching those games while wearing a Knicks jersey and dancing around like a little girl every time Starks made a basket?

I guess Schultz is hosting a show here for the same reason Bulls fans were able to completely take over Conseco during a playoff game. Maybe Mark Patrick's replacement will be a Bostonian who worships Tom Brady and wears this shirt to the studio every day...

http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!BlJFrYQB2k~$(KGrHqIOKjwEtEPqd5-hBL,cc7Tlug~~_35.JPG

Pacers24Colts12
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Your logic is so retarded.

bphil
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Your logic is so retarded.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

croz24
08-03-2011, 11:45 PM
when i turn on sports talk radio, i want the host to talk sports. neither patrick nor jmv do much of that, and both think they're much funnier than they actually are. however, derek schultz on 950 sticks strictly to sports talk and actually allows his guests/callers to speak, instead of interrupting or cutting off those he disagrees with like dakich.