PDA

View Full Version : Carl Landry would like to be a Pacer.

Dr. Awesome
07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I've tried a million times, won't let me do a link or quote, but its on CBS.

Flibertygibits
07-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Is the the article you're referring to?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30580559

The Sleeze
07-23-2011, 09:47 PM
If it is that article there is already a thread on it:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=65784

O'Braindead
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Why is no one commenting on this or anything? This is news.

redfoster
07-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Um, they have:

If it is that article there is already a thread on it:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=65784

BringJackBack
07-24-2011, 07:29 PM
He averaged 16.8 points and 5.0 rebounds in the Playoffs. Against the Lakers' front line. Whether he's a stop-gap starter, or our sixth man (If Hansbrough were to be traded/whatever), he would be a hell of a piece. That is the kind of contribution we needed from another person in the post-season.

If we can get that for MLE money, that is a hell of a deal for us, I think.

ballism
07-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Because Carl Landry is overdiscussed.

Besides, why wouldn't he want to come here or anywhere else.
Not like he's an A list commodity who gets payed whereever he goes. He'll go where he gets the best deal.

Isaac
07-25-2011, 03:33 AM
Adding Carl Landry and someone like OJ Mayo most likely brings us to the 45-50 win range (or the post-lockout season equivalent to that) without going deep in to our cap space. We would probably be a second round team who doesn't look so far off from being a real contender and become an option for someone like EJ, CP, Deron or Dwight in the 2012 offseason. I don't feel like this is unrealistic.

Gamble1
07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Adding Carl Landry and someone like OJ Mayo most likely brings us to the 45-50 win range (or the post-lockout season equivalent to that) without going deep in to our cap space. We would probably be a second round team who doesn't look so far off from being a real contender and become an option for someone like EJ, CP, Deron or Dwight in the 2012 offseason. I don't feel like this is unrealistic.
We already added our cheaper version of Oj Mayo in George Hill and I would be fine with signing Carl Landry if we already didn't have Tyler. Chuck Hayes makes much more sense in the long run if Tyler pans out. Alteast with Hayes he can play backup Center minutes if injuries take a toll on our bigs.

I still think Bird is looking for something much more than Hayes or Landry this off season.

clownskull
07-25-2011, 12:41 PM
first of all, i would like to add that it is awesome of landry to say that. how often is it that you hear a player would like to play here?

however, i looked at his numbers and honestly, i can't see why we would bring him on.
his career numbers aren't at a point where you can look at them and say he is a definite upgrade over tyler.
throw in can't play center either and it just looks like he would not really be of a significant improvement- if any at all.
we could use a guy that can play both 4-5 spots who can help us on the shot blocking situation as well as crash the boards.
neither landry nor west are going to fill that spot.

daschysta
07-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah he's not worth us paying significant cash for with tyler on the team. He's better than tyler right now, but after tylers second half last year i'm willing to bet tyler is about as good next year, and probably better in the future.

Now if he wants to come here so badly that he takes a pay cut say... the mle or so, he'd be one of the best second unit players in the league, and between hill and him we may have the best bench 1 2 punch around.

BornReady
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
first of all, i would like to add that it is awesome of landry to say that. how often is it that you hear a player would like to play here?

however, i looked at his numbers and honestly, i can't see why we would bring him on.
his career numbers aren't at a point where you can look at them and say he is a definite upgrade over tyler.
throw in can't play center either and it just looks like he would not really be of a significant improvement- if any at all.
we could use a guy that can play both 4-5 spots who can help us on the shot blocking situation as well as crash the boards.

I want to agree with you, but I can't. Troy Murphy will easily tell you that numbers only tell so much. I think Landry would be an awesome pickup! If I'm not mistakened, he was an absolute terror in the 4th quarter for Houston- his numbers were super efficient (I forget if they were the most efficient in the league?) and I know that many Rockets fans were sad to see him go. He is aggressive and plays with a lot of passion. He also plays intelligently and doesn't commit too many silly errors. Although his defense isn't the best, he is still very competent and doesn't give up. Sign me up for Landry please :)

McKeyFan
07-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I like Hayes.

I like guys who aren't supposed to be able to perform but still do anyway.

It's a bird in the hand, not two in the bush.

Scot Pollard
07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I think he'd have a breakout year with us and make get us a good amount of wins.

I'd take him instead of David West for a ton of reasons.

Younger version/better at this point, probably cheaper, and he went to Purdue which would be a nice standout.

His defense is average. Not great, but not bad.

I think he'd be a much better starting option than Josh and Tyler. Tyler would make a great backup for Carl.

So, come to Indy Carl!

ECKrueger
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
No, he is not a ton better than Tyler, but I do think he is better then Josh. I have said many times that I like Tyler/Carl better than Tyler/Josh. If he is ok with that, and takes a decent contract, I think he would be good here. Now if we could get that perfect 4/5 player, then awesome. I don't see it happening though, so I think Carl would be a decent back up option. Like daschysta said, Landry/Hansbrough and Hill would make a pretty good bench.

Gamble1
07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I think he'd have a breakout year with us and make get us a good amount of wins.

Younger version/better at this point, probably cheaper, and he went to Purdue which would be a nice standout.

I think he'd be a much better starting option than Josh and Tyler. Tyler would make a great backup for Carl.

So, come to Indy Carl!
I think the Hornets are willing to drop 6-7 mill per year to keep Carl. They have the money overall to make it happen since David West opted out. ITs really there fall back plan if West doesn't resign and if West doesn't you better be ok with overpaying for him because there is no way the Hornets get cheap with resigning him.

I am not sure how the fact that he went to Purdue has any real sway in all this. Its not like people are going to pack in the Fieldhouse because he went there.

ballism
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM

So, come to Indy Carl!

I don't agree with you on any of this. :)

90'sNBARocked
07-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I think , even though I like Carl, that next to Roy he is a poor fit. Neither are very good rebounders, and I think David West is a much better fit for those reasons

I understand the age and injury risk, but I think he is a better fit

ECKrueger
07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I am not sure how the fact that he went to Purdue has any real sway in all this. Its not like people are going to pack in the Fieldhouse because he went there.

I am not saying it does matter, but a lot of people thought Gordon and Hayward would bring more fans too. I know Gordon would since he is a star, but I think people thought the iu thing would just increase it.

I think iu is bigger that Purdue around here though.

Gamble1
07-25-2011, 02:09 PM
I am not saying it does matter, but a lot of people thought Gordon and Hayward would bring more fans too. I know Gordon would since he is a star, but I think people thought the iu thing would just increase it.

I think iu is bigger that Purdue around here though.
Its a cheap selling point IMO and it only gets used when people don't have enough reasons to convince other people that player X is the best option. Hayward didn't sell out Hinkle on a consistent basis and Gordon isn't some legendary IU player. The only sure bet is that winning will sell the most tickets.

Speed
07-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I like Tyler, post Obrien, better than Carl Landry. Small sampling, yes, but clear to me, otherwise.

I completely agree with Gamble1, lets get non duplicate type players. Only guy I'd like to get a duplicate of is Jeff Foster.

ECKrueger
07-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Its a cheap selling point IMO and it only gets used when people don't have enough reasons to convince other people that player X is the best option. Hayward didn't sell out Hinkle on a consistent basis and Gordon isn't some legendary IU player. The only sure bet is that winning will sell the most tickets.

I agree. I think it would help in that people who go would be excited to see a Boiler playing, but not in attracting fans who did not go in the first place.

For example, I would go to Pacer games if I could. If Landry did play for us, I would be even more excited.

I could see a few more people tuning in on tv to see Landry or Hayward though.

pacers74
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM
I am not oppossed to signing Landry, but I don't think he should be our number one priority.
I am going to go games anyway, but yea him being a boiler would make me more excited for the games. Boiler up!

ECKrueger
07-25-2011, 03:48 PM
See I was right :) Boiler Up!! I also agree for the record.

bphil
07-25-2011, 03:53 PM

No chance in hell that CP, DWill or Dwight would ever, ever come to Indy as free agents while in the prime of their careers. None. No way. Don't torment yourself by even thinking there's the remotest possibility of this happening because there isn't.

EJ is at least a possibility because he's from here and because he's not a top tier mega-superstar, so I'll give you that one.

Gamble1
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
No chance in hell that CP, DWill or Dwight would ever, ever come to Indy as free agents while in the prime of their careers. None. No way. Don't torment yourself by even thinking there's the remotest possibility of this happening because there isn't.

EJ is at least a possibility because he's from here and because he's not a top tier mega-superstar, so I'll give you that one.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2917/nooo.gif

Isaac response.

Hicks
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
If the price is right, I still say we could do a lot worse than splitting the PF spot between Tyler and Carl while we keep searching for "Mr. Right" or "Player X".

Gamble1
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
If the price is right, I still say we could do a lot worse than splitting the PF spot between Tyler and Carl while we keep searching for "Mr. Right" or "Player X".
Whats the right price 6 mill per year? I think Chuck is still a better fit long term and I think both will cost about the same.

ballism
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Whats the right price 6 mill per year?

Anything that keeps Landry tradable (spelling?) even if he keeps losing value and efficiency (as he has every year so far).
When we find our long term starter, Landry (or Tyler) would have to go. Too similar and not versatile enough. No point to have them both in the 2nd unit.

A deal that starts at midlevel would make me uncomfortable. And he'll probably get that kind of deal, so in that case I'd rather pass. Haslem type of money (~4 mil per)? Sure.

Scot Pollard
07-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I think the Hornets are willing to drop 6-7 mill per year to keep Carl. They have the money overall to make it happen since David West opted out. ITs really there fall back plan if West doesn't resign and if West doesn't you better be ok with overpaying for him because there is no way the Hornets get cheap with resigning him.

That's not what I even meant.

I never said he'd get the Fieldhouse packed and what I pretty say all the time. WINS = HIGHER ATTENDANCE!

When I said Purdue standout, I mean yes I'm sure some Purdue fans will attend more games for that reason alone.

If he can do the other things I mentioned by getting us to be a winning team, that's what will fill the Fieldhouse.

jeffg-body
07-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't mind Carl as a Pacer but I think we should still take a run at Brown to back up Hibbert. If we swing for the fences and go after West we may not be able to get Brown. If we don't get either of them I think Hayes and Brown could be a heck of a pick-up.

Scot Pollard
07-25-2011, 11:58 PM

Well this new CBA won't be allowing big market super teams anymore so there is still chance.

Say Dwight wants to go to NY to be in the bright lights on Broadway and wants to play with stars Carmelo and Amare. Well, he won't.

If the Knicks really want him, they will have to deal one of them away to Orlando to stay reasonably near the cap.

So now big and small markets aren't going to make much of a difference. That's why there's a lockout. This circus of modern day NBA will be a league of competition again.

So for guys like Dwight, CP, and Deron, it's either Orlando, New Orleans, or New Jersey or another team that's willing to pay you highest amount you can get, but if you want big market, don't expect to be playing with the ALL the stars on the team you'd like.

Kemo
07-26-2011, 03:04 AM
IF .. we were to sign Landry, I'd like to see Josh move to the backup 5, and just play spot minutes at the 4 .. I mean the guy is 6"10.
In this day and age of 7 ft+ Centers being a rarity, I think he would do fine in that role..

The limited times he did play the 5 this last season, he done a decent job in my opinion..

ballism
07-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Josh

The limited times he did play the 5 this last season, he done a decent job in my opinion..

In my opinion, he's been miserable. Rather get one of those cheap Kyrylo Fesenko / Aaron Gray guys and keep Foster.

mildlysane
07-27-2011, 07:21 PM
In my opinion, he's been miserable. Rather get one of those cheap Kyrylo Fesenko / Aaron Gray guys and keep Foster.
Agree....Seriously disagree

pacers74
07-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Landry is an upgrade over McRoberts at PF. He isn't as flashy, but he will score more and is more consitent. The problem with Landry is he isn't a great rebounder. I wouldn't mind pairing him up with tyler either if we can't get a significnat upgrade at PF.

I also wouldn't mind signing McRoberts and trying him out at center. I love his change of pace high energy game. If he could just play with that enrgy all game he could be a fringe starter.

xIndyFan
07-27-2011, 09:02 PM
no thank you to josh at center. signing him to do that would be wasting the pacer's money and setting josh up to fail. he just doesn't have the size and strength to play the 5. [jmo, but he doesn't really have the size and strength to play the 4 either.]

landry would be ok. west would be ok. hayes would be ok. none of them would be good. there are about 20 PF's better than west, 25 better than landry and 30 or so better than hayes. [fwiw, 50 better than josh.] pacers need to be looking at guys closer to nene in ablility instead of the bottom half of the list at PF.

landry and hayes are not any better than tyler. west is better, but not that much better anymore. spending a lot of money to not get any better seems counterproductive.

daschysta
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
there are not 20 power forwards better than west, he's been a coach selection all-star before for petes sake! Unless you're projecting him to fall of a ton because of his injury.

ballism
07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
there are about 20 PF's better than west,

landry and hayes are not any better than tyler. west is better, but not that much better anymore.

Are you speculating on the future and injury here, or are you talking about last season?
If it's last season, you are wrong. West was having possibly the best season of his career and he was clearly a much better player than Tyler.
And certainly there are no 20 PFs better than 2011 West. I can't think of 10 actually. Unless I count guys who mostly play 5 like Horford or Duncan.

xIndyFan
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Are you speculating on the future and injury here, or are you talking about last season?
If it's last season, you are wrong. West was having possibly the best season of his career and he was clearly a much better player than Tyler.
And certainly there are no 20 PFs better than 2011 West. I can't think of 10 actually. Unless I count guys who mostly play 5 like Horford or Duncan.

speculating on the future only.

i did include guys like horford and gasol. here are the guys i was thinking of. actually i lied. there are 18.

Dirk Nowitzki
Al Horford
Pau Gasol
Chris Bosh
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Amar'e Stoudamire
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
Nene
Lamar Odom
Zach Randolph
Serge Ibaka
Josh Smith
David Lee
Luis Scola
Anderson Varejao

hoosierguy
07-27-2011, 10:44 PM

What? He's going to average 20+ ppg and do something he has never done anywhere, play an instrumental role in improving a team? There is a reason he is going to be on his fourth team in five years.

ECKrueger
07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Shocker, you don't like Landry. No one thinks he will be great. At least rationally.

I think most people just think he could be a decent option if we can't get West or someone else. He is no one's preference, no, not even mine. However, he is not a bad back up option.

Who would you rather have?

Kemo
07-28-2011, 03:43 AM
no thank you to josh at center. signing him to do that would be wasting the pacer's money and setting josh up to fail. he just doesn't have the size and strength to play the 5. [jmo, but he doesn't really have the size and strength to play the 4 either.]

LOL , So let me get this straight....

You are saying Josh McRoberts, a 6 foot 10 , 240 lb guy just "doesn't have the size and strength to play center" huh?

Foster is 6"11 250 lbs .. as is a whole buttload of other NBA Centers ... starter or otherwise ..

6"10 to 6"11 is the average heighth of today's NBA Center ..

I mean damn, if you just gave your opinion and said Josh might have a hard time doing the things an NBA Center normally does, then I would say yea quite possibly..but it's hard saying without a larger sample ..

But fact is, Josh never really played the 5 much last season .. I can only think of twice that I can remember him doing it ..
And out of those 2 times that I saw, he was decent.. Nothing spectacular mind you, but he didn't hurt us when he did slide over to the 5 that I can remember ...

I'd imagine that if he spent the summer working on his post up game and rebounding, while learning the nuances that entails playing the center position, I still think he would do a pretty decent job backing Roy up .. IF we were to sign someone like Carl Landry or similar ...

ballism
07-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Dirk Nowitzki
Al Horford
Pau Gasol
Chris Bosh
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Amar'e Stoudamire
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
Nene
Lamar Odom
Zach Randolph
Serge Ibaka
Josh Smith
David Lee
Luis Scola
Anderson Varejao

If it's a speculation on his recovery and future, everything is possible. Personally I'd rather leave it to the medics. When it comes to last year's West, I'd put 11 people on that list above him. Btw, if we include all career 5s who are quick enough to play 4, Dwight and Noah belong there too.

Heisenberg
07-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Like Carl, don't like the money it'd take to get him, don't like the fit at all. I'd be happy as a Purdue fan to get to watch him play so often, be fairly bummed as a Pacer fan. Unless he shocked me and played completely differently than he ever has.

Just go get Varejao, I did it on NBA2K11, how hard can it be?

xIndyFan
07-28-2011, 07:12 AM
If it's a speculation on his recovery and future, everything is possible. Personally I'd rather leave it to the medics. When it comes to last year's West, I'd put 11 people on that list above him. Btw, if we include all career 5s who are quick enough to play 4, Dwight and Noah belong there too.

i didn't include dwight and noah because they are true centers. i did include duncan and horford because they are PF that can play center. a subtle distinction i agree.

xIndyFan
07-28-2011, 07:33 AM
LOL , So let me get this straight....

You are saying Josh McRoberts, a 6 foot 10 , 240 lb guy just "doesn't have the size and strength to play center" huh?

not trying to quibble, but josh is 6-8 and change. at least according to his pre-draft camp measurements. and yes i do not think josh has the size and strength to play center.

are there teams and players he could play the 5 against, yes. but against anyone with any size and/or skill level, he can't. be careful about the number arguement. troy murphy is an inch taller and 10/15 pounds heavier than josh. and he can't defend in the post at all.

jeff foster and josh mcroberts look similar in size and strength. but they aren't. jeff can defend the post, josh can't. i wish that wasn't the case with josh, but it is. jmo, but it is one thing that will cost josh a couple or three of million dollars every year he can't. until he gets bigger and stronger, pacers [or whoever] have to give him help defensively.

ballism
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
i didn't include dwight and noah because they are true centers. i did include duncan and horford because they are PF that can play center. a subtle distinction i agree.

Noah is a lighter Varejao. Dwight can run circles around Duncan at this point, and he's clearly more athletic than Nene.
They are all hybrid modern bigs compared to the likes of Marc Gasol, Bogut, Shaq or the 90s centers.
Imo, Noah isn't even the closest to a traditional center in that group. If I have Noah and Nene, I'd play Noah at the 4.

xIndyFan
07-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Noah is a lighter Varejao. Dwight can run circles around Duncan at this point, and he's clearly more athletic than Nene.
They are all hybrid modern bigs compared to the likes of Marc Gasol, Bogut, Shaq or the 90s centers.
Imo, Noah isn't even the closest to a traditional center in that group. If I have Noah and Nene, I'd play Noah at the 4.

that's interesting. especially about noah. i just don't see either of them having any kind of PF skill [vs C skill]. you may be right. dwight and noah are both athletic.

have to think about the noah/nene thing. initial thoughts are that noah would still be the C and nene the PF. stronger defensively maybe i think. but it is an interesting pairing.

Kemo
07-28-2011, 08:06 AM
not trying to quibble, but josh is 6-8 and change. at least according to his pre-draft camp measurements. .

Not meaning to sound brash , but how do pre-draft measurements mean anything in relation to an nba player getting ready to go into his 5th season in the NBA??
Unless you mean 6"8 and the "change" being 2 more inches .. heh

Not trying to argue my man , but there is no way Josh is only 6"8 ..
Dunleavy is 6"9
Granger is 6"8 ...

Just go to nba.com , pacers.com , basketball reference , espn
for the official height and stats on players if you think i may be wrong ....

xIndyFan
07-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Not meaning to sound brash , but how do pre-draft measurements mean anything in relation to an nba player getting ready to go into his 5th season in the NBA??
Unless you mean 6"8 and the "change" being 2 more inches .. heh

Not trying to argue my man , but there is no way Josh is only 6"8 ..
Dunleavy is 6"9
Granger is 6"8 ...

Just go to nba.com , pacers.com , basketball reference , espn
for the official height and stats on players if you think i may be wrong ....

pre-draft camp measurements are the last accurate measurements i know of. official measurements seem to be whatever the player and team want to put down. in most cases, the heights seem optimistic and weights are low, especially for the fat guys. everyone wants to be seen as bigger, taller and skinnier at the same time. :laugh: wish there was an accurate list of heights and weights somewhere.

pre-draft camp measurements of dunleavy was 6-8 and danny 6-7.

Heisenberg
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
wish there was an accurate list of heights and weights somewhere.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

xIndyFan
07-28-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

these were the one's i was using that kemo didn't like. sorry for not making that clear.

Kemo
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
You guys are trying to go by measurements when a guy is 18 to 21 years old ..

A good portion of young guys coming into the league grow between 1 and 2 inches from the time they are starting out as a rookie up untill usually on average till they are about 23 or 24 years old ...

I can almost guarantee you , if you were to do some comparisons on a random 10 players who have when they first come into the nba , compared to their height now .. a very good percentage will have gained 1 to 2 inches .. in some rarer cases some guys shoot up like a beanpole and gain 3 inches..

That's all I am saying..
You can't compare the heighth of an 18-20 year old .. to their 24+ year old current self .. and expect it to be the same .. Granted there are some guys stop growing at 18 or 19 years old..

I just don't think you can go by pre-draft measurements and even remotely think they would be accurate to a player 4 to 5+ years later .. lol that just don't make any sense to me whatsoever ..

Anyhow , I am done beating the dead horse...
I've said my peace ... lol ... carry on fellaz ...

;)

CableKC
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Shocker, you don't like Landry. No one thinks he will be great. At least rationally.

I think most people just think he could be a decent option if we can't get West or someone else. He is no one's preference, no, not even mine. However, he is not a bad back up option.

Who would you rather have?
I know that I am in the minority...but I'd choose Nene, West and Humphries as our Starting PF before I choose Landry. I get what you are saying in that Landry is a decent "consolation" prize.....but I'd rather "slightly overpay" for a Player like Humphries over Landry. To me, he's a better version of Hansbrough and Players like Humphries and Nene better complement Hansbrough and Hibbert.

Speed
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I know you need to strike while the iron is hot, but I really wouldn't mind seeing what we have in Hansbrough with a healthy offseason and training camp under his belt.

What if you sign any of these guys, even the big gun guys and Tyler is really your answer. Then you've spent money you could have saved for an upgrade at another position or a top notch set of bench guys.

I waffle, but I'm more inclined to give this group a full season under a different regime. Maybe next year you have a better feel for what you really really need to take that next step.

The caveat is you take a sweetheart offer, but you always do that.

More on Landry specifically, how many times has he been moved and how many times has he been deemed 'not the answer' for teams. Would many of us be shocked if Landry wasn't better than Tyler next year? Then you have tied up money in two guys that are only PFs, and you've used precious cap space on a back up.

Look, I think you're a better team with Landry, I just don't know if the cost/reward in the big picture is worth it. I agree with Hicks in that I'd be okay with giving it a try as a stop gap, but if the price/length of contract is starter-like, I'd pass.

My concern with any move, is how much of the over all money pie does a player require and then how much of an improvement do you get for it. Pacers can do whatever, but it needs to be a clearly equitable move in those two regards. I don't find Landry as that, likely.

That said, I like his game, I like what he gives you, I just do not 'know' he's better or that different than what Tyler is or will be for the price.

I've basically written this before, but its a pretty slow time.

Speed
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Measurements are overated, says Chuck Hayes.

Heisenberg
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I know you need to strike while the iron is hot, but I really wouldn't mind seeing what we have in Hansbrough with a healthy offseason and training camp under his belt.

What if you sign any of these guys, even the big gun guys and Tyler is really your answer. Then you've spent money you could have saved for an upgrade at another position or a top notch set of bench guys.

I waffle, but I'm more inclined to give this group a full season under a different regime. Maybe next year you have a better feel for what you really really need to take that next step.

The caveat is you take a sweetheart offer, but you always do that.

More on Landry specifically, how many times has he been moved and how many times has he been deemed 'not the answer' for teams. Would many of us be shocked if Landry wasn't better than Tyler next year? Then you have tied up money in two guys that are only PFs, and you've used precious cap space on a back up.

Look, I think you're a better team with Landry, I just don't know if the cost/reward in the big picture is worth it. I agree with Hicks in that I'd be okay with giving it a try as a stop gap, but if the price/length of contract is starter-like, I'd pass.

I've basically written this before, but its a pretty slow time.
I feel the same in regards to potentially bringing in FAs. There's some guys that could/should be cheap, a Kwame Brown, a Chuck Hayes and I'd endorse that type of signing. But I'd rather bring back McBob and Jeff, let everyone else walk, and head into the season whenever it is in outstanding financial shape under what should be a much more restrictive CBA as opposed to overpay for a guy like West or Humphries. Nene really interests me, but I'm just not sure about him playing the 4.

Speed
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
I feel the same in regards to potentially bringing in FAs. There's some guys that could/should be cheap, a Kwame Brown, a Chuck Hayes and I'd endorse that type of signing. But I'd rather bring back McBob and Jeff, let everyone else walk, and head into the season whenever it is in outstanding financial shape under what should be a much more restrictive CBA as opposed to overpay for a guy like West or Humphries. Nene really interests me, but I'm just not sure about him playing the 4.

Things can change alot in a year, what if the Lakers get knocked out in the first round, same for Boston. What if Phoenix doesn't make the playoffs or are even close. All of sudden maybe you get Garnett, Odom, Gasol, or Nash on the cheap or on the really cheap. Not saying these exact guys, but if the new environment makes high salaries a huge burden and teams are no longer contenders, it might pay to be in a good position to jump on this type of thing.

Now is Garnett and the like still the players they once were, well no, but if you can get a fading star for pennies on the dollar, maybe you get them for a nice run to place around blossoming youngsters.

It doesn't even have to be that kind of circumstance. Really if you have cap space you hold quite a few cards when it comes to other teams wanting you to help them. What does New Orleans do and Chris Paul?

Houston has a ton of good role player types, but no star. What if Paul George shoots up the charts next year and makes Granger expendable, not impossible. Wouldn't Houston think about giving up 2 upper level starters for a 20 plus point scorer. Maybe not, but you don't know if you shoot your wad now.

You can really maybe get a big time trade.

With all of this said, I'd guess Larry wants to buy some talent now and he will. Not a bad strategy, I'm just saying not the end of the world if we come back to basically the same team as last year.

ECKrueger
07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
I know that I am in the minority...but I'd choose Nene, West and Humphries as our Starting PF before I choose Landry. I get what you are saying in that Landry is a decent "consolation" prize.....but I'd rather "slightly overpay" for a Player like Humphries over Landry. To me, he's a better version of Hansbrough and Players like Humphries and Nene better complement Hansbrough and Hibbert.

I don't know that I even think Landry should be the starter. He probably would be, but my whole point is if we can't get a good starting 4, I would rather get someone like Landry. Like you said he has been a stop gap and that is what we need. The three guys you mentioned I would not mind. I am just thinking if we can't get a pretty good, long-term PF, I would rather spend less on a short-term PF and look again next year.

I forgot too, as someone else said, having Landry and Hill as our 6th and 7th men would not be too shabby.

MyFavMartin
07-30-2011, 01:00 AM
If Roy is a ripped 280 with confidence in his low post moves, then a I'd be happy to resign Foster and get Landry along with Tyler. And I'm not sure George Hill is OJ Mayo or our starting PG. This next season is going to be interesting... if there is one.

NuffSaid
08-03-2011, 10:40 AM

I kinda mulled the idea of Landry or anyone else who comes in at PF to play a dual PF-C role and would have to agree with you. I'd hate to part with either Jmac or Hans except if TPTB could somehow find such a dual-role player. Otherwise, while it would be nice to land Landry because as has been pointed out how many players actually are willing to go on record saying they'd like to go to the Pacers? The just does not happen that often, not even in the draft!

pacergod2
08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I would prefer that we bring back Foster and McRoberts to cheaper deals. If either gets too big of a deal, then we can forget about one or the other. I think Foster is a great fit because we can sign him to a one-year deal. McRoberts I would want for longer term to see what he develops into. I think our front office is looking at one or two guys this off-season and if neither pan out, we will hold onto our space going into next year, where I think we can make a bigger splash with more space and more available talent in a new CBA.

I would love for us to bring in Tyson Chandler, West, or Nene, but I don't want to pay any of them too much. I think we are set up to make one move this off-season and another move next off-season. We have a couple of roster spots opening up next year and we have both picks next year still. We have a lot of flexibility and I think if we can't get one of those three guys, we wait until next year or sign whomever this year to a one year deal to maintain cap space. If this lockout lasts into the season, it will be a lot easier to offer guys a one year deal.

I think another year for a lot of these younger guys will let us know who to keep and who to let go. I think we need to know what these young guys will end up being capable of with one more year of Paul George, Tyler Hansborough, Roy Hibbert, Darren Collison, Lance Stephenson, AJ Price, and Brandon Rush. I would like to bring back McRoberts due to his versatility and athleticism in our front court. The main question would be, how do we set ourselves up for the big moves we want? Are we targetting 2012? Specific players? Do we think we will strike out in 2012 if we don't add a significant piece in 2011? Would that approach hurt us? I think there are way too many questions right now. I wonder what Bird is thinking. It seems like he is targetting one guy this year and still have plenty of space for next year. I just wonder if we can get two options next year and still resign Hibbert and George Hill (AJ Price and Brandon Rush I wouldn't factor into these decisions).

CableKC
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Don't know if this is good or bad, but Landry just got a new Agent:

Carl Landry is now being represented by Mark Bartelstein.

Landry, who is an unrestricted free agent, was previously represented by Buddy Baker.

Via Jorge Sierra/HoopsHype (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/215284/Carl_Landry_Now_Represented_By_Bartelstein#ixzz1Vu of6RoI

The reason I bring this up is because Mark Bartelstein is also the Agent for Granger, BRush, Inferno, Posey and PG. It's just pure speculation on my part....but don't Agents sometimes try to steer their Players towards the same Team?

MillerTime
08-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Don't know if this is good or bad, but Landry just got a new Agent:

The reason I bring this up is because Mark Bartelstein is also the Agent for Granger, BRush, Inferno, Posey and PG. It's just pure speculation on my part....but don't Agents sometimes try to steer their Players towards the same Team?

interesting....personally I wouldnt want Landry. He would be a good PF coming off the bench, but we already have Hansbrough...it would be taking a step in no direction. I would rather make a move for a big named PF that would help out Granger...Landry seems like another roll player, which we are loaded with.

I would love to move a 2nd round pick for any time with a great PF looking to shed salary (guess we have to wait for the new CBA)

graphic-er
08-24-2011, 10:48 AM
One thing for sure, Landry is a proven contributor, and he plays hard nose ball as well. I think he is a definite upgrade over Hansbrough, just for the fact he isn't getting blocked every time he tries to take a shot around the rim.

MillerTime
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
One thing for sure, Landry is a proven contributor, and he plays hard nose ball as well. I think he is a definite upgrade over Hansbrough, just for the fact he isn't getting blocked every time he tries to take a shot around the rim.

In Hansbrough's defence, hes only really played 1 season.

Hansbrough's a hard-nosed energy players. One of those guys you love to play with but hate to play against.

Personally, I beleive that he'll have a better career than Landry. Neither one is going to be a starter on a great team, but both will contribute well off the bench

Lance George
09-04-2011, 03:09 AM
SLAM ONLINE » Making His Move: Carl Landry intrigued with Blazers; gives overseas deadline
(http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/lockout-2011/2011/08/making-his-move/)

The lack of frontcourt help has often been the Portland Trail Blazers (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-teams.aspx?page=/data/nba/teams/team403993.html)‘ Achilles tendon. Look no further as Carl Landry (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-players.aspx?page=/data/nba/players/player648940.html)—who happens to be one of the top free agents this offseason—expresses his interest in playing for the Blazers next season.

“I think I can fit in with Portland, “Landry told SLAMonline. “They’re in need of a big post presence down low. I’m not taking anything away from (Greg) Oden and (Marcus) Camby. I just know what I can provide. The Blazers are a good team and I know I can help.”

This free-agent class lacks the big names that last year’s crop produced, but there are a load of serviceable pieces that could turn out to be an X-factor for a title-contending team.

Landry could be that missing piece for the Blazers.

“I really like Portland,” said Landry.” I’m good friends with Greg Oden, and Wes Matthews is from Wisconsin like me (http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2011/06/mad-man/). There are a lot of ties there and I have no doubt that I would blend in fine.”

Officially, Landry is still property of the New Orleans Hornets (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-teams.aspx?page=/data/nba/teams/team404101.html) and he’s willing to give them first dibs for his services. New Orleans gave him a great opportunity after they traded for him out of Sacramento, which allowed Landry to play for a contender. He was very appreciative of that move.

“David West and Chris Paul were great to me,” said Landry. “New Orleans brought me to a winning situation. For that, I’m very thankful.”

Talks of late have centered around contraction and New Orleans is a prime candidate to be axed if such a measure is enforced. Landry speaks highly of the city of New Orleans by saying it’s a great city to play in with loyal fans who love their teams.

Landry also said that he’s hearing nothing is going on with the CBA and it’s unlikely both sides will come to terms anytime soon. He also revealed to SLAMonline, his deadline before he takes his talents overseas.

“The first of December is my deadline,” said Landry. “If no agreement is reached by then, I’m looking overseas. To sit out a whole year without basketball is tough. I can’t do that. I would have to play somewhere.”

There’s no doubt that Landry will arguably be the hottest free agent on the market when the NBA season resumes, and he’s eager to start the free agency process.

This second-round pick out of Purdue is used to scratching and clawing his way to the top. Now, he’s going to have teams scratching and clawing for his John Hancock.

His closing argument: “I have an engine that doesn’t come in every car. Its’ a special engine like turbo and that’s something a coach can’t teach.”

Well put, Carl. Well put.

CableKC
09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
OT....and Iknow that this has nothing to do with Landry....but there is a quick mention of New Orleans being a possible candidate for contraction....although this would be purely hypothetical and based off of pure speculation....how would the NBA determine where CP3 goes?