rock747
07-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah he is. I love the one on one's!

MyFavMartin
07-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Roy's the biggest Pacer, so I guess you're correct. :p

Heisenberg
07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really like the One On One with DC. I know they're generally much more personal than really any interviews you've heard the guys do, but DC's was a bit too much so. DC's not really all that engaging either, smart kid, head on straight, happy he's a Pacer, just not real personable.

El Pacero
07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
PD got a mention as the "Pacers message board" but not for the greatest thread... he is watching you! Ha.

Good interview. Roy is up to 270 lbs.

The Sleeze
07-24-2011, 12:18 PM
He's definitely bulking up. Roy tweeted this a couple days ago:

Thanks Peak Performance @joedowdellnyc n @copeFIT cuz either my shirts r gettin smaller or I'm gettin bigger. Prob the shirts r gettin small

PacerDude
07-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Good interview. Roy is up to 270 lbs.
Let's not forget what happened to Smits when he bulked up. His game went sour and he started having foot problems.

just sayin' ..............

El Pacero
07-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Let's not forget what happened to Smits when he bulked up. His game went sour and he started having foot problems.

Roy will read that and never forget what you said.

just sayin' ............ ;)

daschysta
07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Roy was already like 275 in college no? He has a much more massive frame than smits ever had, i doubt 270 pounds of in shape muscle hurts him more than 275 of relative flab did. Big Roy should be a beast if he can keep post position.

Sandman21
07-24-2011, 09:42 PM

But what big fella DOESN'T end up with knee or foot problems?

El Pacero
07-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Roy got down to less than 250 lbs because of JOB last season. I haven't checked any facts, but I'm guessing Roy is currently only 5 lbs more than before the JOB experiment.

And based on the daily six meals he listed off for that day during the interview, it's healthy pounds as some here were worried about.

BlueNGold
07-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I like it. More quality weight will allow Roy to work more effectively in the paint both on offense and defense...because he will have better balance which is one of his biggest downsides. Rather than using his focus to hold position, he will be able to focus more on his moves. He should also be stronger and harder to push out of the way...leading to more rebounds. All of this might lead to more confidence and a much improved player.

rock747
07-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Good interview. Glad Roy's a Pacer.

ilive4sports
07-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Roy got down to less than 250 lbs because of JOB last season. I haven't checked any facts, but I'm guessing Roy is currently only 5 lbs more than before the JOB experiment.

And based on the daily six meals he listed off for that day during the interview, it's healthy pounds as some here were worried about.

Plus players lose a good amount of weight throughout the season. So while he may start the season at 275ish, he will fall from that. I think thats something they didn't really account for last season. He lost a ton of weight before the season, was good in November, but kept losing weight and things became more difficult.

Heisenberg
07-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Roy Hibbert is 7'2 and pretty damn unathletic, the guy's not JO. He should absolutely be at least a (healthy) 270+. I can't be the only one that thought him losing so much weight hurt his game last year. Plant your big *** on the block and hold your position and drop baby hooks over the top of anyone who wants to try and defend you.

Hicks
07-25-2011, 09:59 AM
He lost the weight to try to maximize his mobility, and while I think it did help him somewhat in that regard, obviously strength is going to be more important to him. I think when he was getting lighter last year, it was about losing fat, and this time he's replacing that fat with more muscle, so I'm hoping it's like when Josh McRoberts bulked up; he gets more strength, but it doesn't slow him down.

imawhat
07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Can anyone list centers that have improved long-term after bulking up? I can only think of ones that became injury prone.

BRushWithDeath
07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
He's definitely bulking up. Roy tweeted this a couple days ago:

Thanks Peak Performance @joedowdellnyc n @copeFIT cuz either my shirts r gettin smaller or I'm gettin bigger. Prob the shirts r gettin small

I'd feel a lot more confident if he said his shorts and jockstrap must be getting smaller.

Pause.

But seriously, his issue is lower body strength. He needs to work on his legs and core much more than his upper body. It's nice to have a big chest and arms if you're looking in the mirror but it doesn't help your game very much. And growing a pair wouldn't hurt either.

graphic-er
07-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I'd like to thank the OP on this thread. After listening to the Hibbert interview, scrolled down through the list and found a One-on-One with Stacy Paetz from earlier this year which was a really good interview.

daschysta
07-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Can anyone list centers that have improved long-term after bulking up? I can only think of ones that became injury prone.

Difference is Roy isn't really bulking up relative to his normal weight. He was almost 280 all throughout college. Last year he was absolutely a stick compared to his typical weight. Last year Roy lost a ton of fat, this year he's looking to replace his lost fat with muscle. Roy's ideal weight on his massive frame is around 270 imo, and if it's mostly muscle he should gain strength (his biggest weakness is lower body strength imo, he could dominate if he wasn't moved so easily from good position) without losing way too much mobility.

This is absolutely a good move, if it pans out roy could compete for an all-star reserve slot next year.

When I think bulking up I think JO putting on massive weight onto a slight frame that he had never had before. Roy is different, and is really just going back to his normal playing weight.

BlueNGold
07-25-2011, 10:55 PM

I think Tyson Chandler is a decent example. He was not effective for awhile until he filled out. Noah seems a bit thicker than when he entered the league...and much better. I can see this helping Roy and that a big part of his development last year was getting more experience, not losing the weight so much.

BringJackBack
07-26-2011, 06:46 PM
And growing a pair wouldn't hurt either.

Comments like this are ridiculous, and shouldn't be allowed. It's trolling.

Constellations
07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
And growing a pair wouldn't hurt either.

:picard:

Day-V
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Loved.

daschysta
07-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah I don't see how Hibbert is somehow a pansy or in any way weaker just because he admitted that he has had some problems and tried to get help for himself. Being able to admit that you need help and taking steps to resolve your problems, thus being stronger in the future in no way makes you weak, in fact i'd argue that it takes alot more courage to seek help than it does to ignore it and let them fester and grow malignant. Plus most of his issues come from trying to shoulder too MUCH responsibility anyhow and internalizing blame, none of which are "weak" behaviors that warrant trollish comments.

Sookie
07-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I think he definitely needs more confidence.

imawhat
07-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I really enjoyed the Hibbert interview. He's really putting in work this offseason, which is even more impressive when there's a chance we won't have a season.

I'm nervous about him gaining weight, especially knowing that he's broken his foot twice. Hopefully it works out.

Speed
07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm about 1/3 the way through.

Interesting tidbits for me.

Roy's parents are 6'2" (Dad) and 6'1" (Mom)? Thats really tall for a woman, but to get a 7'2" kid from that. I can still hold out hope for a tall son!!

John Thompson (the dad) busting on Roy during his Georgetown days, calling him an unathletic stiff and the worse big man he's ever seen. Pretty funny really. Roy must have stepped up to the criticizm, counter to what some think that he's capable of. Roy said something like that John Thompson was surprised/proud that Roy didn't turn into a 7'2" postal worker instead of a basketball player.... funny stuff. Btw, Roy played for John Thompson III, this was talking about his dad, aka Ewings coach back in the day.

Tom White
07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm about 1/3 the way through.

Interesting tidbits for me.

Roy's parents are 6'2" (Dad) and 6'1" (Mom)? Thats really tall for a woman, but to get a 7'2" kid from that. I can still hold out hope for a tall son!!

John Thompson (the dad) busting on Roy during his Georgetown days, calling him an unathletic stiff and the worse big man he's ever seen. Pretty funny really. Roy must have stepped up to the criticizm, counter to what some think that he's capable of. Roy said something like that John Thompson was surprised/proud that Roy didn't turn into a 7'2" postal worker instead of a basketball player.... funny stuff. Btw, Roy played for John Thompson III, this was talking about his dad, aka Ewings coach back in the day.

I wouldn't listen to anything Thompson said. Remember, he is the one who claim that Iverson was just "misunderstood" every time he got in trouble.

Mackey_Rose
07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Yeah I don't see how Hibbert is somehow a pansy or in any way weaker just because he admitted that he has had some problems and tried to get help for himself. Being able to admit that you need help and taking steps to resolve your problems, thus being stronger in the future in no way makes you weak, in fact i'd argue that it takes alot more courage to seek help than it does to ignore it and let them fester and grow malignant. Plus most of his issues come from trying to shoulder too MUCH responsibility anyhow and internalizing blame, none of which are "weak" behaviors that warrant trollish comments.

Physically he isn't the strongest guy in the world, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's weak.

His weakness is mental. He gets way too high when anything good happens, and way too low when anything bad happens. How many times last year did you see him celebrate like he just swatted away a potential game 7 winning shot, on an innocuous mid 3rd quarter regular season play? How many times did you see him hang his head and mope after missing 3 shots in a row?

Having enthusiasm and being intense is one thing, but Roy needs to find some middle ground. The emotional roller coaster act needs to stop if he's ever going to become the player he can be.