PDA

View Full Version : Adelman interviewing for T-Wolves job

Unclebuck
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Does that mean contrary to some reports he wasn't Bird's first choice to coach the Pacers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/126017313.html

Adelman to interview Saturday

Posted by: Jerry Zgoda under Wolves coaches (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/On_the_Wolves.html?c=340272), Wolves management (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/On_the_Wolves.html?c=340292), Wolves news (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/On_the_Wolves.html?c=339887)

Boom, there it is.

According to league sources, former Houston coach Rick Adelman will be the fourth candidate to interview with the Wolves when he comes to town tomorrow to see David Kahn and owner Glen Taylor.

Adelman all along has looked like the dream hire who'd solve a lot of the Wolves' problems, if he's interested.

Well, it looks like he is now, at least enough to listen.

Why is he the best they can do with this hire:

* He has a track record, and a .605 winning percentage (945-616) in 20 seasons with Portland, Golden State, Sacramento and Houston. His Portland teams made the NBA finals twice and his Sacramento teams pushed the Lakers to the brink out West.

* Believer in a passing offense similar in many ways to what Kurt Rambis believes, he has shown a willingness for his teams to play fast. Those Kings teams with Bibby, Webber, Vlade were fun -- and fast -- to watch.

* Most importantly perhaps is this:

He has known Kevin Love for years and his hiring would be a BIG step toward convincing Love to sign a long-term contract extension.

Love and Adelman's son played on the same Lake Oswego, Ore.,high school team and Adelman saw nearly every game Love played during his senior season when he was in between jobs with the Kings and Rockets.

* So why would he take the job?

Love, $$$ and the chance to coach again.

It has been widely assumed around the NBA that Adelman, at age 65, will only coach again for a veteran team. \

But now the Lakers have hired Mike Brown and guys like Rick Carlisle, Doc Rivers, Tom Thibodeau, Stan Van Gundy and Gregg Popovich, what such options are out there in the next few years?

This is a team with a lot of young talent -- emphasis on the young -- that needs to be molded just right.

If you're confident in your abilities and Glen Taylor is willing to pay $4-5 million a year...
Adelman took the Houston job four years ago for the chance to coach Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. This time, he's got Love and...Derrick Williams? Ricky Rubio? Michael Beasley or Anthony Randolph?

I hear Rockets GM Daryl Morey is a big Rubio believer, so maybe some of that enthusiasm got transferred down to the head coach.

Adelman's contract was not renewed by the Kings in 2006 or by the Rockets after last season.

He sat out that 2006-07 season while he watched Love and his boy play prep ball and then chose the Rockets' job because of Ming and McGrady.

"At the time, I was talking to two or three teams, and this was obviously the best situation," Adelman told the Associated Press late last season. "Those guys were here. They had won 50-plus games.

"I had three experiences (before Houston). At two, I had a lot of talent and at one, I didn't. I won at two places and didn't win at the other. I figured it out that talent is pretty important, especially if you have a unique blend of a big guy who's one of the best in the league and a perimeter player who's one of the best in the league."

He told reporters in the season's final week that he still has the passion to coach.

"I don't think I've lost the desire to coach;" he said. "I think I still can do it.

MillerTime
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
The whole world seems to be interviewing for this job

Peck
07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Just my opinion here but I believe that Frank Vogel was the coaching choice since the end of the regular season. Sure he might have thought about other coaches but nobody was ever really a serious candidate other than Frank.

wintermute
07-22-2011, 04:51 PM
There was this report

http://twitter.com/#!/jmikeNBAusat/status/88355452521426944

@jmikeNBAusat J. Michael Falgoust

With #Pacers unable to lure Rick Adelman, they're sticking with Frank Vogel . Press conference tomorrow #nba

5 Jul via web

Might not mean anything of course.

It's still surprising to me that Adelman is interested. The Twolves, while young and talented, aren't a well-constructed roster.

spreedom
07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
The Wolves should've hired him like 5 years ago when Houston did. He was the best available coach then and he's by far the best available right now. I don't think he'd instantly make them a contender, but he has a habit of squeezing every possible win out of a roster no matter who is on it, and I don't think this would be an exception. If they hire him and make a couple solid smaller moves, I think Minnesota could be a 30-35 win team next year no doubt.

90'sNBARocked
07-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Ok so Addleman thinks the T Pups are in a better situation than us?

maybe he just doesnt like Nap or Bird , cause that makes little sense

CableKC
07-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah...no kidding....I'd default to the "don't like Bird" excuse.

The only reason I can see why the TWolves would be more appealing is cuz of Rubio, Wesley Johnson, KLove and Derrick Williams....but that's a really long road to go down in order to develop that core of Players.

Young
07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Don't think it has to do with Indy. If he is willing to be in Minnesota I see no reason why he wouldn't be willing to be in Indy.

I could see not liking Bird. I can also see Simon not willing to pay Adelman what he wants.

I like Adelman but I am very excited that Frank is the coach.

Scot Pollard
07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
In the end, I think this job will go to Mike Woodson.

Also, the T-Wolves like Bernie Bickerstaff.

90'sNBARocked
07-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Sam Amick: Adelman news is very surprising. Just talked to one of his recent former players over weekend who said "no way in hell" Adelman goes there. Twitter

Thast classic :)

Kegboy
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I never put much stock in the Adelman rumor, and this puts it to rest in my mind. I'm not as enamored with him as some, but I still think he's at least moderately sane. IOW, no way would he turn us down then go work for Kahn.

pwee31
07-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Only thing that would make sense, is the fact he was interested is possibly joining a front office someday. Perhaps he gets in good with the owners, as it's only a matter of time before Kahn is shown the door in my opinion.

It's a stretch, but you never know

CableKC
07-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Only thing that would make sense, is the fact he was interested is possibly joining a front office someday. Perhaps he gets in good with the owners, as it's only a matter of time before Kahn is shown the door in my opinion.

It's a stretch, but you never know
Given Bird's future with the Pacers Front Office and the possibility that he may leave after a season or two...I don't see why he wouldn't have the option to do the same in Indy. Of course, Pritchard could be that guy that takes over for Bird as well.....but as far as we know and what's been said.....he's not.

Tom White
07-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Geez guys, has anyone given any thought to the idea that maybe the USA Today writer was wrong? That maybe Adelman was never offered the job? I have absolutely no idea about the guys credibility, so I'm not saying one way or another. It just seems that many have taken his word for gospel on this subject, while ignoring the idea that he was maybe wrong or misinformed about the Pacers interest.

Kemo
07-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I dunno , but I think Minny is gonna end up having one hell of a team..
Adelman is a smart man .. He knows what he could be potentially walking into ..

In Minnesota, I see a young team with ALOT of talent and potential..

Everyone likes to use OKC as the model of comparison, when comparing young teams, but I think ,eventually the TWolves could very well end up being a much better young team if the stars align perfectly .. lol

I mean wow ...
damn, with the roster they have, if Adelman can put together a rotation of players that complement each other and can develop chemistry, they could become a dangerous team in a few years .... with a few roster tweaks in between-time ..

Their currently listed 2011/2012 roster ........

Ricky Rubio
Kevin Love
Derrick Williams
Michael Beasley
Wesley Johnson
Anthony Randolph
Nikola Pekovic
Darko Milicic
Lazar Hayward
Wayne Ellington
Brad Miller
Malcolm Lee