PDA

View Full Version : Bynum obviously maturing.

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 02:50 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Photos-Capture-Laker-Andrew-Bynum-in-Parking-in-Handicapped---125820648.html

LA Lakers center Andrew Bynum has allegedly been caught on camera parking his black BMW in not one, but two parking spots reserved for the handicapped.

The photos, provided exclusively to NBC4, were taken by an LA Parking Enforcement official at the upscale Bristol Farms Market in Playa del Rey.

NBC4's exclusive interview with the parking official who took the photos here.

NBC4 questioned Andrew Bynum, 23, about the alleged incident as he was getting into his car recently.

He slammed his car door and drove off without comment.

It appears the 7-foot-tall Laker, who makes $14 million a year, was breaking the law if he was parking in those spots. Violators who are ticketed are subject to a $353 fine.

Under the California Vehicle Code, drivers must display a disabled placard or disabled license plate to park in spaces designated for the disabled.

Bynum has not been issued either by the California Department of Motor Vehicles, NBC4 confirmed.

“It’s a terrible image and perception when something like this happens,” said Vito Scattaglia, DMV deputy chief, after NBC4 showed him the pictures.

The photos appear to capture Bynum’s BMW parked partly in a disabled parking spot, and partly in an adjoining spot reserved solely for the loading and unloading of disabled passengers.

The pictures appear to show Bynum lifting his groceries into his car and then driving off.

"That does infuriate me, because there are those people that truly need that space," Scattaglia said.

The photos show plenty of open parking spots for the able-bodied just a few feet from where Bynum had allegedly parked.

The abuse of disabled parking spots and placards is a growing problem that was exposed in an NBC4 undercover investigation in 2010.

Numerous businesspeople in areas like downtown LA, Beverly Hills, and Westwood, were videotaped illegally using disabled placards and spots to get free and easy parking.

“There is an increase in the violations we’re encountering, and the citations we’re issuing,” Scattaglia said.

Bynum's agent, David Lee, said he would relay an interview request to his client, but no interview has been arranged.

What a big giant d-bag.

The Sleeze
07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I think he's mentally handicapped....so it's okay.

joeco
07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
the rib shot to Barea followed by tearing off the jersey turned me against this kid. hes the closest thing to an automatic 2 pt shot in this league but hes clearly a mental midget. playing for the lakers first hurt this kids attitude imo.

Scot Pollard
I hate this guy so much. Never liked him. Especially pulling a thuggish move in Dallas during the playoffs by taking his jersey off and walking off like a tough guy.

Lance George
http://media.nbcbayarea.com/images/Bynum+parking_Logo2.JPG
http://media.nbcbayarea.com/images/Bynum+parking_logo4.jpg

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 03:06 PM
There's a news clip too, and the reporter tries to ask him some questions. He just gets in his big ol truck and slams the door. It is funny how little the reporter is though.

adamscb
07-22-2011, 03:15 PM
hes just mad he cant have his professional chauffeur drive him around with this lockout in effect

Basketball Fan
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
A douche move but in the grand scheme of things not unforgiveable either.

Its funny how much coverage is devoted to this not that I'm upset or anything I just see this as the future of NBA coverage during the lockout at this point.

Hicks
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
I didn't really have a strong opinion of him one way or the other until recently. But between that pathetic display in the playoffs (JJ Barea, the jersey) and this, his stock has plunged in my eyes.

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 03:20 PM
It is not a huge deal, but not only is he taking a handicapped spot, but he is taking up 2 spots AND there are clearly lots of opens spots just behind him. Not to mention he is an NBA player, he is in decent shape. His knees can't hurt too bad either if he is squeezing into that Bimmer.

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I didn't really have a strong opinion of him one way or the other until recently. But between that pathetic display in the playoffs (JJ Barea, the jersey) and this, his stock has plunged in my eyes.

Admittedly I did not like him because he was a Laker. I definitely feel justified in not liking him now.

Basketball Fan
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
It is not a huge deal, but not only is he taking a handicapped spot, but he is taking up 2 spots AND there are clearly lots of opens spots just behind him. Not to mention he is an NBA player, he is in decent shape. His knees can't hurt too bad either if he is squeezing into that Bimmer.

Yeah I don't get that either I mean I park near a store but I always make sure its not in a handicapped spot either how lazy do you have to be to not be able to walk a little farther if you aren't handicapped?

vnzla81
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Doesn't he qualify as handicap? He is usually injure 60% of the time.

Constellations
07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Doesn't he qualify as handicap? He is usually injure 60% of the time. (Green)

Fixed*

Shade
07-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Thank God we didn't trade for this POS.

Shade
07-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Double parking is a major pet peeve of mine. Do it with me around, and there's a decent chance your ride gets keyed.

xBulletproof
07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Double parking is a major pet peeve of mine. Do it with me around, and there's a decent chance your ride gets keyed.

We share a hatred for this one. I won't key their car though. I will however back into the parking space next to their driver side. Backing in puts their car on my driver side. So I can park just centimeters from their car. So close, they need to get in on the passenger side.

Shade
07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
We share a hatred for this one. I won't key their car though. I will however back into the parking space next to their driver side. Backing in puts their car on my driver side. So I can park just centimeters from their car. So close, they need to get in on the passenger side.

I do this, as well.

Anthem
07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Are we looking at the same pictures? He's not double-parked.

Stryder
07-22-2011, 10:39 PM

I agree.

He's still an a$$hat, but he isn't double parked.

Stryder
07-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I do this, as well.

While it may make you feel good to do so, you realize that this may make the person retaliate?

spreedom
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM

He is, however, taking up a decent chunk of the pedestrian crosswalk that leads to the ramp that allows disabled people to get onto the sidewalk.

Double parking barely bothers me unless it's during a really crowded time of day or they are taking up two awesome spots... but parking in the handicapped spot when you don't need it is just extremely dickish, especially when he could just hire someone to go grocery shopping for him that was willing to walk the extra 10 yards.

Doug
07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I hate it when I see a perfectly healthy person park in a handicap spot. That's one of the things that really **** me off. It's just selfish, greedy, and uncompassionate, if that's a word. Leave it for the people who need it.

Doddage
07-23-2011, 12:07 AM
God forbid Bynum park further away and walk a few extra steps to the store. He's not a professional athlete of a sport highly dependent on cardiovascular endurance or anything...

SycamoreKen
07-23-2011, 12:20 AM
You mean he doesn't shop a a store with valet parking? My wife and I use that all the time.

Anthem
07-23-2011, 01:23 AM
He is, however, taking up a decent chunk of the pedestrian crosswalk that leads to the ramp that allows disabled people to get onto the sidewalk.
Hey, I didn't say it was ok, I just said he didn't take up two spaces.

sportfireman
07-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Yep.... The off season is here.:)

Kemo
07-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Yep.... The off season is here.:)

LOL FOREAL!

Only on the internet.....

Where "journalists" have the time and concern .....to consider an athlete parking in a handicap parking space ... news worthy ... LOL:dance::dance:

or worthy of labeling him the antichrist and berating him for simply being an inconsiderate dooshey laroux with more money than any of us will ever see in our lifetimes .. lmao

HC
07-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't think anyone here is calling the guy Ron Artest or Stephen Jackson. You can say it's not newsworthy and crack jokes all you want, but actions like these speak volumes about one's character. There is a reason that they say actions speak louder than words, and this is just plain, self-absorbed arrogance and or ignorance.

Kstat
07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
LOL FOREAL!

Only on the internet.....

Where "journalists" have the time and concern .....to consider an athlete parking in a handicap parking space ... news worthy ... LOL:dance::dance:

or worthy of labeling him the antichrist and berating him for simply being an inconsiderate dooshey laroux with more money than any of us will ever see in our lifetimes .. lmao

I don't care how much money he makes. Any able-bodied individual who parks in a handicap zone is going to have a serious problem with me.

Pacer!
07-23-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm more interested in the set of pins in the left of that second photo.. that's the only 'double' that catches my eye ;)

BlueNGold
07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Some NBA players are some of the most selfish individuals on the planet. If that is a fair representation of how he usually operates, he is a waste of flesh and bone.

BlueNGold
07-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey, I didn't say it was ok, I just said he didn't take up two spaces.

He's infringing and I can't see a handicapped van parking in that partial space. There's a reason tables, parking spots and bathroom stalls are larger for handicapped people. It's because they need the room. It's not because we are being nice by giving it to them.

Ownagedood
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
If you compare the two pictures, it seems like he may have made his own parking spot.. Because hes kind of in the cross walk and kind of in the Handicapped spot, but not really in either one and there isn't room inbetween those spots for an actual parking spot..

So i guess thats the Andrew Bynum reserved parking spot.. :confused:

Shade
07-23-2011, 12:33 PM
While it may make you feel good to do so, you realize that this may make the person retaliate?

What are they gonna do? Ding my horrible-looking beater car? :laugh:

Shade
07-23-2011, 12:34 PM

I didn't say he was. I just said I have an issue with people who do it.

Anthem
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't care how much money he makes. Any able-bodied individual who parks in a handicap zone is going to have a serious problem with me.
My wife tore up her ankle pretty badly last winter. She'd use crutches to get into the store, then a wheelchair once we were there. She refused to use the handicapped spots because "those are for people who need them."

Gamble1
07-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Anybody else have a hard time figuring out the new handicap spaces for pregnant women.

There's expecting mothers, mothers with children and the double wammy expecting mothers with children.

My wife was pregnant with our first and I had to read every freaking small print sign at the store to make sure we were good. She was glad to have them but hopefully the signs get a little simpler like the handicap sign is.

Edit: I can just see every woman in there first trimester getting the stink eye from the 9 month pregnant woman.

vnzla81
07-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Could it be that the guy got used to it for been in crunches for so long? Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure he has a candicap plate with a picture of him seating on a wheel chair :whoknows:

Stryder
07-23-2011, 03:37 PM
What are they gonna do? Ding my horrible-looking beater car? :laugh:

You'd be surprised. I've witnessed a situation in which someone did this and the double parker came out of the store...the guy took out a knife, slash 2 tires, busted a taillight, and broke a window...

Just sayin'.

cgg
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
You'd be surprised. I've witnessed a situation in which someone did this and the double parker came out of the store...the guy took out a knife, slash 2 tires, busted a taillight, and broke a window...

Just sayin'.

Well what would you expect after someone caused hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to their car?

Stryder
07-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Well what would you expect after someone caused hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to their car?

Guess you're not following...

Person 1 double parks, goes in to store.

Person 2 sees this, parks very close, like Shade and others describe, just because they hate double parkers, goes in to store

Person 1 comes out of store, creates havoc on Person 1's car JUST because they parked close. Person 1 leaves in his car.

Person 2 comes out of store to find his car heavily vandalized.

Mark
07-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Wait... I always thought this http://www.thefreedictionary.com/double-parked was double parking?

cgg
07-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Guess you're not following...

Person 1 double parks, goes in to store.

Person 2 sees this, parks very close, like Shade and others describe, just because they hate double parkers, goes in to store

Person 1 comes out of store, creates havoc on Person 1's car JUST because they parked close. Person 1 leaves in his car.

Person 2 comes out of store to find his car heavily vandalized.

Ah, I was remembering the part of keying the car. I always park 5 spots away from anyone. :-p

Stryder
07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Ah, I was remembering the part of keying the car. I always park 5 spots away from anyone. :-p

As do I! I have a relatively nice car that I use as a daily driver. I park in the boonies everytime.

Shade
07-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Just sayin'.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to do it unless I were capable of protecting myself, as well. I know some people are nuts. And double-parking/parking in a handicapped spot already tells you the person doesn't give a **** about anyone but themself.

Bury Your Dead
07-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Really though????

Who cares. I mean I could care less, this isnt news nore should be. People really need a life if this is what gets you mad.

ECKrueger
07-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I guarantee you handicapped people care. I wouldn't care if he just took up two spaces somewhere, lots of idiots do that. Don't take up handicapped spaces when there are clearly plenty of open spots right behind them. That and he was an ******* about it to the reporter. It is not necessarily news, but I think people have cause to think lowly of him after this. Have some respect.

Bury Your Dead
07-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I guarantee you handicapped people care. I wouldn't care if he just took up two spaces somewhere, lots of idiots do that. Don't take up handicapped spaces when there are clearly plenty of open spots right behind them. That and he was an ******* about it to the reporter. It is not necessarily news, but I think people have cause to think lowly of him after this. Have some respect.

I totally understand your logic and your right it is disrespectful but Im not judging him as a person(like thinking lowly of him). I dont even no the guy so judging him would be hypocritical of me. Thats just the way I am. I was taught to judge yourself not others. So I may dislike an athlete(esp if your a Laker) on a sports level but Im not disliking him as a human being. Thats just me though. So when I hear someone doing something stupid, like parking in a double space be it handy cap or not, its just well stupid and I move on. Now if he raped or beat a women then Id totally have another view on him.

ECKrueger
07-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I totally understand your logic and your right it is disrespectful but Im not judging him as a person(like thinking lowly of him). I dont even no the guy so judging him would be hypocritical of me. Thats just the way I am. I was taught to judge yourself not others. So I may dislike an athlete(esp if your a Laker) on a sports level but Im not disliking him as a human being. Thats just me though. So when I hear someone doing something stupid, like parking in a double space be it handy cap or not, its just well stupid and I move on. Now if he raped or beat a women then Id totally have another view on him.

Ok, so we aren't as far apart as I thought. I just think with the elbows and what-not he just doesn't seem like a very good person, but you are right that it is not our place to judge.

I don't think he is a despicable person either, just not a great one.

Hicks
07-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I know he took the cheap shot on JJ Barea. I know he did this stunt with the handicap parking. Seems fair to use those as negative points with which to judge him as a person to me. Doesn't mean it tells his whole story, but nonetheless.

Shade
07-24-2011, 02:50 PM
The majority online reponse by Lakers fans is that it's no biggie. I knew there was a reason I didn't like Lakers fans.

ECKrueger
07-24-2011, 02:51 PM
I know he took the cheap shot on JJ Barea. I know he did this stunt with the handicap parking. Seems fair to use those as negative points with which to judge him as a person to me. Doesn't mean it tells his whole story, but nonetheless.

Yup, same as a guy who donates time and money to charities. It doesn't make him a good person necessarily, but it offers a clue to what type of person they are. Bynum might not be a bad person, but from what he is showing us it seems he is.

Shade
07-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Not to poo-poo the charity work, but I sometimes wonder if the NBA "encourages" some players to do it.

Hoop
07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
It happens every Pacer game in the parking garage. What's worse than just parking in the spots without proper plates or rear view hanger, the freaking Idiots that park in the marked off spaces between spots. Making it impossible for wheel chairs access to their vehicles. The spaces are marked off for a reason, so doors can open all the way.