PDA

View Full Version : Born Ready Heading Overseas

90'sNBARocked
07-22-2011, 09:58 AM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/21/born-ready-heading-overseas/

Born Ready’ is heading overseas.

Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson will play in either China or Italy during the NBA lockout, according to his agent.

“We’re working on a couple things and we’ve narrowed it down to Italy and China for now,” Alberto Ebanks told SNY.tv by phone. “He’s excited about just getting a run going while the lockout is in place. I think it’s important to stay in basketball shape so he’s about to bust a move.”

One key element of the deal would be a clause allowing Stephenson, the former Lincoln High School star who played sparingly as a rookie with the Pacers, to return to the NBA as soon as the lockout ends.

“It could happen shortly, it could happen in the next month,” Ebanks said.

Nets point guard Deron Williams, who is playing for Besiktas in Turkey, has such a clause in his agreement.

Ebanks also represents former Tennessee standout Scottie Hopson, who is also heading to Europe.

“Scottie is certainly going to be going to Europe,” Ebanks said. “It’s almost a foregone conclusion. We’ve narrowed it to a couple of clubs that we’re talking to and that’s where he’s going to start his career.”

The 6-7 Hopson averaged 17 points and 3.3 rebounds as a junior at Tennessee, and went undrafted in last month’s NBA Draft.

ST. JOHN’S HORNE TO GERMANY

Former St. John’s wing Paris Hornebecame the first member of the Class of 2011 to be inked to a professional contract when he signed with German squad BG Gottingen of the BBL.

Located in Northern Central Germany, BG Gottingen is a member of the German Bundesliga, the premier basketball association in that nation. League play runs from October to June, and coincides with an international competition called the EuroChallenge, which BG Gottingen won in 2010. The EuroChallenge features the top teams from across Europe in a tournament setting, where Horne and his squad may face Besiktas, the Turkish squad of Nets star Deron Williams.

Former Big East rival Ben Hansbrough, the conference’s 2011 Player of the Year from Notre Dame, has also signed with a team in the German Bundesliga.

“We are pleased that Paris has received this well-deserved opportunity to play professional basketball,” said St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin. “Paris will add true value to his new team as he is one of the hardest workers and best defenders that I’ve had the opportunity to coach. His best days in basketball are ahead of him.”

“I’m very excited to begin my professional career,” said Horne. “I would like to thank Coach Lavin and the St. John’s coaches for teaching me so much in the past year, as well as the former coaches for giving me the chance to play college basketball at the highest level and in the toughest conference. All of that contributed to my experience at St. John’s and helped prepare me for professional basketball. I’d also like to thank all of the fans that stuck with us through thick and thin, and I hope they all continue to follow me throughout my career.”

ChristianDudley
07-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Lance will murder any competition over there.

HickeyS2000
07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I wonder what position the team he goes to will have him play. I personally hope it's PG so he can get some more experience running a team.

wintermute
07-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Actually, I hope that doesn't happen.

I'd be happier if he goes to a good team with a coach who stresses fundamentals and discipline. Hopefully Lance learns a thing or two and comes back a better-rounded player with a little more maturity.

Gamble1
07-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Personally I hope its Italy but either way I think its a good thing since there will be no summer league for him to develop his skills.

BillS
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Personally I hope its Italy but either way I think its a good thing since there will be no summer league for <b>people to get overly excited about</b>.

fixed.

Speed
07-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Isn't his Agent...his uncle? I might be misremembering that.

"bust a move", really?, Young MC?

Gamble1
07-22-2011, 10:42 AM
fixed.
At this point Bills I would just like to be excited about any type of basketball being played by our players. This summer is going to be the worst if they don't get things worked out.

90'sNBARocked
07-22-2011, 11:32 AM

LMAO

the video just ran through my head

what has "Young MC" done since ? im sure dude is like almost 40 now no more "young mc"

Sookie
07-22-2011, 11:44 AM

It'll be interesting to see how he's reffed.

Reginald
07-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I wonder what position the team he goes to will have him play. I personally hope it's PG so he can get some more experience running a team.

I was very impressed with his ability to distribute the ball last night. What I'd like to see is some improved fundamentals. He likes to defer to his raw athleticism and force these one-handed rifle shots into traffic. Sometimes it's a highlight-reel assist, but oftentimes it's just a bad pass.

pacer4ever
07-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Lance might not play due to his flashiness hopefully he goes to a club where they dont really care about that. Or the club he goes to will teach him to be more of a team player.

Mackey_Rose
07-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Haha, I couldn't get past that line in the article. No reason to bother reading any more.

That's certainly the type of language I'd expect from the man in whom Lance has entrusted his career.

pacer4ever
07-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I think if i am remembering correctly his agent is his Lawyer

BillS
07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
At this point Bills I would just like to be excited about any type of basketball being played by our players. This summer is going to be the worst if they don't get things worked out.

Getting excited about basketball is cool. It's when people start getting hyped up about a player's performance in such an entirely un-NBA-like situation and try to extrapolate it like it is some kind of factual equivalent.

graphic-er
07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Lance might not play due to his flashiness hopefully he goes to a club where they dont really care about that. Or the club he goes to will teach him to be more of a team player.

Strange assessment to me because last year in the handful of games he got some real minutes in, I dont' recall him taking any bad shots or playing selfishly.

pacer4ever
07-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Strange assessment to me because last year in the handful of games he got some real minutes in, I dont' recall him taking any bad shots or playing selfishly.

IT isn't about selfishness) he likes to pass but the way he dribbles way to much and doesn't play fundamental basketball and likes to throw flashy passes gets you put on the bench on most clubs in Euro.

ksuttonjr76
07-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Getting excited about basketball is cool. It's when people start getting hyped up about a player's performance in such an entirely un-NBA-like situation and try to extrapolate it like it is some kind of factual equivalent.

It beats talking about Granger trades, Gordon Hayward, and Hansbrough being a 6th man....

Eindar
07-22-2011, 01:08 PM

If it's China, probably Center :)

Brad8888
07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Advice to Lance:

Never forget that

LaChoy makes Chinese food
swing American!

At least he may have found somewhere that he can play that will have him safely away from the influences he has had in his life prior to his coming into the NBA and in such a culture shock that he will have to humble himself to an extent so as not to alienate his teammates and those around him.

Pingu
07-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I hope he goes to Italy. No offense to the Chinese basketball league, but the level of play is much higher in Italy, even if Lance goes to a small team.

pacer4ever
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I hope he goes to Italy. No offense to the Chinese basketball league, but the level of play is much higher in Italy, even if Lance goes to a small team.

ya i mean Bozi scored like 50 in the Chinese league(and Bonzi cant score 10 in the pro am lol)

LetsTalkPacers
07-22-2011, 02:30 PM
:hmm:

Young
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
This could be a great experience for Lance or it might not. I hope he finds the right situation for him. Its safe to say there were some issues with Lance last season as there has been everywhere he has went. I hope this does good for him off the court more so than on the court.