PDA

View Full Version : Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

Kstat
07-21-2011, 05:27 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/94150335404322817

I was scared to death they'd settle for Woodson.

Young
07-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Good hire by the Pistons. I really didn't want to see them hire Frank though.

wintermute
07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Good choice, I think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_lawrence_frank_pistons_072011

Pistons poised to hire Frank as coach

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 21 minutes ago

Lawrence Frank has emerged as the choice to become the Detroit Pistons’ next head coach and a formal contract offer is expected within the next day, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Frank, an assistant with the Boston Celtics, separated his candidacy in his first meetings with management and ownership, distancing himself from contenders Mike Woodson and Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

The Pistons organization has been deliberate in the process, talking to several candidates. But barring unforeseen snags in contract talks, Frank figures to replace John Kuester, who was fired as coach on June 5.

Frank has benefitted from the recommendations of Philadelphia 76ers president Rod Thorn – his old boss with the New Jersey Nets – and Celtics coach Doc Rivers. Pistons general manager Joe Dumars holds both Thorn and Rivers in high regard.

In anticipation of an offer, Frank has been working on assembling a staff over the past two weeks, league coaching sources said. Celtics assistant Roy Rogers, who was on Frank’s staff with the Nets, is the most likely to join him in Detroit.

Frank has thought that spending the past season under Rivers helped him greatly to further cultivate the dynamics of head coach-player relationships. This promises to be an important part of the Pistons’ coaching job, especially after the breakdowns between Kuester and several players.

Frank had a successful run over six-plus seasons as Nets coach until owner Bruce Ratner’s cost-cutting moves gutted the roster. Frank won two Atlantic Division titles and reached the playoffs in four seasons , including the Eastern Conference semifinals three times. He holds the NBA record for the best coaching start in history, winning his first 13 games after taking over for Byron Scott in the 2003-04 season.

Frank was the runner-up in the Houston Rockets’ and Toronto Raptors’ coaching searches this offseason.

The Pistons also interviewed Woodson, Sampson, Bill Laimbeer and Patrick Ewing.

Kegboy
07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I've never been the least bit impressed with him. For your sake K, I hope I'm wrong.

Kstat
07-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Truth be told, I wanted Ewing. But I was far less impressed with Woodson, so this is an acceptable middle ground.

Devin Harris looked like an all-star playing in Frank's version of the princeton offense, so that is encouraging for a similar kind of PG in Brandon Knight.

Peck
07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
You guys could have done much worse.

Kstat
07-21-2011, 05:50 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/04/27/amd_mark-jackson.jpg

Young
07-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Maybe Jim O'Brien can go back to Boston as Doc's lead assistant. JK but I am curious to see who Doc gets as his lead assistant.

Sandman21
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I see your Action Jackson and raise a
http://ambasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/report-isiah-thomas.jpg

cdash
07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Good hire, but the Pistons will still suck.

xBulletproof
07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Our Frank is cooler than your Frank.

Psyren
07-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Agreed.

The Pistons are just in one of those unfortunate situations where the team is just so bad, that no coach is going to suddenly make them better.

90'sNBARocked
07-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Was thinking exactly the same thing. In fact maybe only Addleman or Sloan could have been a better choice

Kstat
07-21-2011, 06:53 PM

this season, I agree.

I think we're only one more good draft pick away from having something to really build on, though.

If we win %25 of our games next year and he's got Stuckey, Knight, Monroe and Jerebko all clicking, so be it. That's acceptable to me.

Kegboy
07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Our Frank is cooler than your Frank.

That's not hard. Frank Gifford is cooler.

McKeyFan
07-21-2011, 09:51 PM
That'll preach.

ECKrueger
07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
No one cares this is a Pacers board not a Pistons board no one likes them they suck

dewman_32
07-21-2011, 10:50 PM
This was a good hire by the Pistons. Aside from Adelman, I don't think there was a better candidate out there. Yes, the Pistons have a bad lineup right now, but they are where the Pacers were 4-5 years ago.

cdash
07-21-2011, 10:55 PM
this season, I agree.

I think we're only one more good draft pick away from having something to really build on, though.

If we win %25 of our games next year and he's got Stuckey, Knight, Monroe and Jerebko all clicking, so be it. That's acceptable to me.

Yeah I actually agree. Monroe, Knight, Jerebko, and maybe Daye is a decent core.

pacer4ever
07-21-2011, 11:25 PM
No one cares this is a Pacers board not a Pistons board no one likes them they suck

I disagree it is a NBA board and i like hearing about the NBA and the Pistons suck about as much as the Pacers did the past few years.

BillS
07-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Interesting that Frank was getting his assistants in order before being officially hired - guess that's not quite the insult some were thinking when Vogel was doing it.

pacer4ever
07-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Interesting that Frank was getting his assistants in order before being officially hired - guess that's not quite the insult some were thinking when Vogel was doing it.

like i said in another thread it is common in the NBA Byron Scott had to fire all but 1 of his assistants when he went to the CAVS.

ECKrueger
07-21-2011, 11:38 PM
I disagree it is a NBA board and i like hearing about the NBA and the Pistons suck about as much as the Pacers did the past few years.

I look forward to the day that I have been here long enough to have a reputation as a sarcastic poster.

pacergod2
07-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I look forward to the day that I have been here long enough to have a reputation as a sarcastic poster.

Green font helps that reputation. Well, that shirt you wear in your avatar says a lot about you having a great sense of humor as a sports fan.

Unclebuck
07-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Might be a new trend, I suppose

vnzla81
07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

http://www.playerpress.com/uploads/Image/Jim%20O'Brien.jpg

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Green font helps that reputation. Well, that shirt you wear in your avatar says a lot about you having a great sense of humor as a sports fan.

Your choice of mocking makes it clear that you need things like green font to understand things :)

pacergod2
07-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Your choice of mocking makes it clear that you need things like green font to understand things :)

It was your voice inflection that confused me.

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
It was your voice inflection that confused me.

I was just hoping the lack of punctuation, and general lack of proper English would show it was not serious.

pacergod2
07-22-2011, 12:16 PM
As for Lawrence Frank, I think he is a terrific candidate for the Pistons. I bet he will stick with a young team with a bit of a confusing roster. From what I know, Frank is very good at getting the right combination of players in his rotations. He seems to be a good all around coach, but it is tough to really say what kind of job he will do with the roster they have. I think Dumars has got to look into trading anybody with a decent sized contract for any kind of package of picks. Frank will be the type of coach with the long term patience to help rebuild that team into something IMO. I don't know that he will be their coach in five years, because that roster will look vastly different and in five years that team will probably need something different out of a coach, but that is too hard to tell. I think Frank will LOVE Monroe. Monroe will probably be one of the main cogs in his offensive philosophy. I also think that the Pistons got a gift when Knight fell to them. He was probably the only PG they could have gotten who would compliment Stuckey and Gordon. This makes their decision to keep Stuckey easier.

One thing is for sure, that Dumars has put together a pretty brutal mix of players that will make life hard on LFrank. How do you split playing time if Rip Hamilton is still there? What do you do with Gordon who they still owe $37.2M over the next three years? Their guard situation is ugly and they have no discernable front court rotation after Monroe. Villanueva is a prima donna who plays no defense and is still owed $24M over three years.

The probalem I see with their roster, is that there is talent there, but they just need to realign where their talent lies. They have really short guards across the roster. They have three good young SFs. Villanueva is a terrible fit with Monroe and Monroe is the better player, who you need to keep (unless you trade him to the Pacers).

Hamilton, Gordon, and Villanueva don't really make the Pistons better at this point and take up 71.3% of the team's current payroll liability. That is a problem. I think Rip will be traded before the new year starts. Unfortunately for the Pistons, the best fit for him is the Bulls and I don't know that you make that deal on principle. It doesn't help the Bulls have nothing to send in return. Lawrence Frank has his work cut out for him, but I think he will get a solid three years as head coach with few expectations.

graphic-er
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Bit of weird hire for me. Frank seems like a good coach, but those players in detroit do not have an respect for coaches. They will be bad until they purge that roster. If they wouldn't give the last coach any respect what makes Dumars think they will respect a short white guy?

Peck
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I agree with Pacergod2, I think the only way for them to even up their roster is by trading Greg Monroe to us for James Posey.

Posey is an expiring & he will help them with their ability to spread the floor.:D

90'sNBARocked
07-22-2011, 02:29 PM
this season, I agree.

What type of contract will Stuckey command, and do you think Detroit will sign him?

Kstat
07-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I'd take him back for anything under $8 million. No idea what will be out there for him, though.

Shade
07-22-2011, 06:26 PM
I was just hoping the lack of punctuation, and general lack of proper English would show it was not serious.

You must be new to the internet.

ECKrueger
07-23-2011, 12:57 PM
You must be new to the internet.

That's what I get for overestimating people.

hoosierguy
07-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Another IU grad coaching in the NBA.

'tis a shame Keith Smart was let go- he deserved the Golden State job.

hoosierguy
07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I see your Action Jackson and raise a
http://ambasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/report-isiah-thomas.jpg

Isaiah did take the Pacers to the playoffs in each of his three seasons during a clear rebuilding phase. Hell, the only reason JO re-signed with the Pacers was because he thought Zeke would still be the Head Coach.

BRushWithDeath
07-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Isaiah did take the Pacers to the playoffs in each of his three seasons during a clear rebuilding phase. Hell, the only reason JO re-signed with the Pacers was because he thought Zeke would still be the Head Coach.

You're actually going to defend Isaiah?

Jesus, you're actually a bigger IU homer than I thought. Impressive.