PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Mourning sued over alleged hit and run crash

Basketball Fan
07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/crime/fl-hit-and-run-mourning-20110720,0,3323996.story

Suit targets Alonzo Mourning, claiming hit-and-run crash
Tweet Comments 4
By Mike Clary, Sun Sentinel

2:00 p.m. EDT, July 20, 2011
A Miami college student filed a lawsuit on Wednesday claiming he was injured and nearly killed three days ago, when a sports car driven by Alonzo Mourning smashed into his car on the Julia Tuttle Causeway and then fled the scene.

William Candelario, 21, was driving home from Miami Beach early Sunday morning when a blue Porsche the former Heat star was driving slammed into Candelario's 2010 Audi, causing the car to flip over several times, according to Coral Gables attorney Spencer Aronfeld.

Sgt.Tom Pikul of the Florida Highway Patrol confirmed that Mourning, 41, was involved in the second of two separate crashes involving Candelario's car.

The collisions occurred between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. Sunday on the causeway near the intersection with I-95.

The incident is still being investigated and charges are pending, Pikul said.

Candelario told his attorney the 6-foot-10 former All-Star returned to the crash scene about 45 to 50 minutes later in a vehicle driven by his wife, Tracy.

By that time, Candelario had called his parents, and his father, Alberto Candelario, was also at the scene and recognized Mourning, said Aronfeld.

Aronfeld said his client, a student at Miami International University of Art and Design, was on Miami Beach with friends. Candelario works in a book store and does not drink or use drugs, Aronfeld said.

Taken by his parents to Aventura Hospital, Candelario was treated for a concussion and bruises, and has suffered some memory loss, his lawyer said.

Mourning could not be reached early Wednesday for comment. Efforts to reach him through the Miami Heat, where he is a vice president of player programs and development, were unsuccessful.

Basketball Fan
07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Mourning on car crash: I stopped, did nothing wrong

A 21-year-old student is suing Alonzo Mourning claiming the former Miami Heat star struck his car, which had already been involved in a crash and was left in a major roadway.
Alonzo Mourning sued after car crash
A Miami college student filed a lawsuit Wednesday claiming former Miami Heat player Alonzo Mourning smashed into his damaged car which had just been involved in a collision on the Julia Tuttle Causeway early Sunday.
SunSentinel.com

A Miami college student filed a lawsuit Wednesday claiming former Miami Heat player Alonzo Mourning smashed into his damaged car which had just been involved in a collision on the Julia Tuttle Causeway early Sunday.
SunSentinel.com

Photos

By FABIOLA SANTIAGO
fsantiago@miamiherald.com
On the eve of his philanthropic foundation’s most important fund-raising event of the year, Zo’s Summer Groove, former Miami Heat basketball star Alonzo Mourning is facing a lawsuit stemming from an accident scene he left on Sunday.

Mourning, 41, was driving home to Coral Gables with his wife, Tracy, at 3 a.m. Sunday from the wedding of Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh at the Fontainebleau Hotel, when he crossed the Julia Tuttle Causeway and his blue 2010 Porsche Panamera slid into one of two crashed cars in the middle of the highway.

Mourning told The Herald that he was hindered by “a blind spot” as the road rises and he braked right away. But he could not avoid hitting a silver 2010 Audi sitting next to another car, a 2001 Chevrolet overturned in the roadway.

The two drivers of the crashed cars—William J. Candelario, 21, and another man identified by police as Eddy Desir but later by his father as Sony Desir — had walked away from the spectacular crash. Both were standing by the side of the road. Both accidents happened on the causeway nearing the Interstate 95 intersection.

Neither men were hurt by Mourning’s car.

According to a Florida Highway Police report, Mourning got out, went over to check on the men, who told him they were OK and that they had already called police. Mourning continued driving home, then called police, the FHP report said.

He was told to return to the scene and he did. He and his wife returned to the accident scene in Tracy Mourning’s SUV. She drove.

Asked if he had been drinking, Mourning said that, as a kidney transplant patient, he does not drink or smoke. “I’ve been completely cooperative and met with the police,” Mourning told The Herald. “And now that the facts are straightened out, I think everyone will see that I didn’t cause the accident and didn’t cause any injuries.”

Candelario’s lawyer, Spencer Aronfeld, filed suit against Mourning, Desir and Traveler’s Commercial, which insures Candelario’s Audi. Candelario, a student at Miami International University of Art and Design and an employee of the Barnes & Noble in Aventura, suffered a head injury in the crash with Desir, his father and lawyer said.

His parents later drove him to Aventura Hospital.

FHP said the initial crash with Candelario and Desir is “under investigation” and the agency did not release that report.

Desir did not return calls left at his home.

Aronfeld said that Candelario suffers from memory loss and does not remember details of the initial accident.

At a press conference with his lawyer and father, Adalberto, a car salesman, Candelario said he was driving home from “hanging out” with friends in South Beach.

“I was not drinking,’’ Candelario said. “We were not at a bar. We were just cruising.”

Mourning is being sued, Aronfeld said, not because he’s a wealthy celebrity but because he left the scene of the accident after causing additional damage to Candelario’s car.

“This is not a witch hunt against Alonzo Mourning, who we all know is a respected member of the South Florida community,” Aronfeld said. “We want to know what happened. We don’t know, but he left the scene…If you are involved in an accident, you can’t leave.”

Police have not charged Mourning with leaving the scene nor have they cited him for hitting Candelario’s car. Mourning told The Herald that he thought he had done nothing wrong because no one was injured, he had hit a car that had already been totaled and the Candelario-Desir accident had already happened and he did not witness it. He thought he could take care of his own car’s damage.

He called police after he got home, he said, to ask if there was anything else he should do. “And now I’m waiting for the police to finish the investigation,’’ he said. “I’m happy the police are conducting a thorough one.”

Before news of his accident reached the media through the Aronfeld’s lawsuit, Mourning had been all over radio, television and newspapers promoting his annual Zo’s Summer Groove — a week of events such as celebrity-filled comedy shows, performances and high-profile golf tournaments to benefit the Overtown Youth Center and Honey Shine Mentoring Program. The fund-raising is conducted through Mourning’s foundation, Alonzo Mourning Charities, which seeks to engage youth in enrichment programs.

“Now I hope this distraction is over and we can focus on what’s really important this week, which is our foundation’s annual charity event, Zo’s Summer Groove,” Mourning said.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/20/2322726/lawsuit-targets-alonzo-mourning.html#ixzz1SksNf1GY

SMosley21
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
This story is a stark contrast of the one earlier this year where Zo stopped traffic on the highway to help an elderly person.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-03-25/sports/fl-alonzo-mourning-traffic-heat-0326-20110325_1_suv-traffic-disabled-person

Kstat
07-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Alonzo's elbows were not available for questioning.

Stryder
07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Not sure there's really much here.

If all that is said in the police report is true, then he's complied with the police in every way.

Not sure why he's being sued? Other than the fact he has some money?

graphic-er
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Well fleeing an accident is pretty bad, even if you came back in another car.

Shade
07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds to me like someone wants to get paid.

xBulletproof
07-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Soooo you're suing the man himself for damage to your car, instead of contacting his insurance company?

Then you tell me you're NOT suing because he's a rich celebrity? Yeah, sure.

Stryder
07-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Well fleeing an accident is pretty bad, even if you came back in another car.

While I agree that is true, I'm not sure he was 'fleeing from an accident'. The police told him to go back and he did so. IF what Mourning said is true (he stopped, checked on the men, left, called the police, and returned when they said to do so), then I'm ok with that.

The d-bag just wants paid. Nothing more; nothing less. Why not sue the guy in the first accident, you know, the one that caused all of the damage?

Basketball Fan
07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6800124/alonzo-mourning-cited-leaving-scene-traffic-crash

Alonzo Mourning cited for leaving sceneEmailPrintComments406ESPN.com news services
MIAMI -- Former NBA star Alonzo Mourning will be cited by police for leaving the scene of a traffic crash in Miami Beach last week.

Mourning

The Florida Highway Patrol issued a report Monday saying Mourning is being issued a notice to appear in court for the second-degree misdemeanor of leaving the scene of an accident with property damage. Mourning also was issued a citation for failure to leave information at the scene.

Mourning and his wife were heading home early July 17 when they came upon a wreck that had just occurred.

Police say Mourning was unable to avoid hitting one of the cars. Mourning then left the scene, having checked on the two drivers who were standing by the side of the road beforehand, according to The Miami Herald.

The men, who were unhurt, told Mourning they had called police, the newspaper reported, citing the Highway Patrol.

Mourning returned about 40 minutes later at the request of the police, whom he called upon arriving home.

The driver of one of the cars last week filed a lawsuit seeking unspecified damages from Mourning.