PDA

View Full Version : VOGEL ANNOUNCES COACHING STAFF

pacer4ever
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/vogel_announces_pacers_coaching_staff_2011_07_18.h tml

Hicks
07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION

;)

mildlysane
07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
YEAH, THANKS ALOT! GO PACERS!!
:laugh::D:laugh:

Speed
07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
So Boylen is official, he's only 46, thats a pretty young group. I'm guessing this is the last of any real news for a few months.

Gamble1
07-18-2011, 02:20 PM
So Boylen is official, he's only 46, thats a pretty young group. I'm guessing this is the last of any real news for a few months.
I think Shaw gets a head coaching gig after his first year here. Maybe he waits to see if Vogel gets canned after year 2 but I doubt it.

BillS
07-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I think Shaw gets a head coaching gig after his first year here. Maybe he waits to see if Vogel gets canned on after year 2 but I doubt it.

I would think the ACs are on the same contracts as Vogel, meaning 2 years plus option (if I remember correctly).

Eleazar
07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I would think the ACs are on the same contracts as Vogel, meaning 2 years plus option (if I remember correctly).

Except for Burke who has a lifetime contract.

Speed
07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I think Shaw gets a head coaching gig after his first year here. Maybe he waits to see if Vogel gets canned on after year 2 but I doubt it.

I think you are right. I could see everyone being here after next year or no one, at this point, though. Including Pritchard, Bird, and Morway.

pacer4ever
07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION

;)

I copied and pasted from pacers.com

Unclebuck
07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I doubt I could pick Boylen out of a lineup. But a year ago I doubt I could have picked Vogel out of a lineup.

McKeyFan
07-18-2011, 03:39 PM
This would be a good time for a media outlet to do a feature on Burke. Or has one already been done?

LG33
07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I doubt I could pick Boylen out of a lineup. But a year ago I doubt I could have picked Vogel out of a lineup.

Well, hopefully, the days of picking Pacers out of lineups are behind us.

CableKC
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Not sure where to add this...so I thought I'd add it here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-110718/nba-best-worst-coaching-hires

1. Which team has made the best coaching hire thus far?

Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com: Dwane Casey placed as the runner-up for head-coaching jobs at least five times over the past three years, but his credentials as the mastermind of the Mavs' defense finally -- and deservedly -- put him over the top in Toronto. Casey will bring his understanding of system and appreciation of order to a team that's been governed by chaos on the floor in recent seasons.

Rahat Huq, Red94: Houston. There were rumblings of a disconnect between Adelman and the Rockets' front office with the former having been not so receptive to analytical data nor enthusiastic about the call for a youth movement. In McHale, Daryl Morey gets a man open to his ideas but who carries a big stick, bringing instant credibility to the sidelines.

Graydon Gordian, 48 Minutes of Hell: I'll say Frank Vogel. "Interim" coaches often feel like aspiring boyfriends who have slipped into the dreaded "friend zone." However, Vogel did a terrific job with the Pacers this season and certainly deserved an opportunity to capitalize on his success. I'm glad Indiana didn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

John Converse Townsend, Truth About It: Indiana. I like Vogel, the 38-year-old upstart who changed the identity and the attitude of pro hoops in the Hoosier State. Vogel's new-look Pacers -- a "power-post team, blood and guts, old-school, smash-mouth team" -- made the playoffs for the first time since 2006 and nailed the role of rude houseguests in Chicago. He's familiar, affordable and ready for the challenge.

Jared Wade, 8 Points, 9 Seconds: Dwane Casey might be the better answer but let's say Kevin McHale. He was successful in his first fill-in role before scuffling through the second, but that came under the pressure of being a floundering GM in his home state. McHale seems rejuvenated by his broadcasting time, and players will immediately pay him respect.
There is more to the article on ESPN...like the Worst Hire...but Vogel wasn't included on the "Worst Hire" short list but was chosen 2 out of the 5 commentators as the best hire.

Midcoasted
07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
The best hiring of coaches our front office has ever rubber stamped IMO. Espescially if they can manage to one up the all-star team of coaches we had with Bird/Carlisle/Brown.

Take us to the promised land! NBA title or bust!

Brad8888
07-18-2011, 03:58 PM
No surprise that Jared didn't pick Vogel.

wintermute
07-18-2011, 04:03 PM
This would be a good time for a media outlet to do a feature on Burke. Or has one already been done?

There was one a few years back, posted by Uncle Buck.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=32278

It's not available on the Star anymore, so it's a good thing PD has archives.

sportfireman
07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I think Shaw gets a head coaching gig after his first year here. Maybe he waits to see if Vogel gets canned after year 2 but I doubt it.

I say Shaw gets the head coaching job here, unless Vogel goes deep in the playoffs.

Pacerfan
07-19-2011, 12:33 AM
So apparently the Lakers still wanted Boylen as their assistant but he chose to come to Indy instead.

mcten Dave McMenamin
Jim Boylen is the 3rd asst coach after Mike Malone & J.B. Bickerstaff that the Lakers had interest in & couldn't reel in http://es.pn/rfCRaa
http://twitter.com/#!/mcten

Vogel brought him in because he wants to run the simple offense thru the post that Houston played when Hakeem was there and they won championships. Boylen was the main assistant on those teams.

"He was (former Rockets coach) Rudy Tomjanovich's right hand guy down in Houston when they were winning championships," said Vogel of Boylen."

"Extensive experience in their simple offensive scheme with Hakeem Olajuwon playing through the post, which is the way we're trying to play," said Vogel."

http://www.fox59.com/sports/wxin-20110718-pacers-coaching-staff,0,6156008.story

Pacerfan
07-19-2011, 12:35 AM
daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Pacers putting first-rate staff around Frank Vogel with Brian Shaw, and now, Jim Boylen joining assistant Dan Burke.

http://twitter.com/#!/daldridgetnt

:)

Hicks
07-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Anyone know more about Houston's offense?

pacer4ever
07-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Anyone know more about Houston's offense?

give the ball to Hakeem and get out of his way :)

Los Angeles
07-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Is that anything like the "dump it to J.O. and stand around" offense?

90'sNBARocked
07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Boylen

Coaching History

Boylen began his coaching career as an assistant under legendary Michigan State head coach Jud Heathcote. He would stay there from 1987 to 1992 before accepting a position with the NBA's Houston Rockets. As an assistant coach with the Rockets, Boylen would go on to win two NBA Championships and helped coach both Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming. After his 11 year stint with Houston, Boylen became an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors and then the Milwaukee Bucks. After 13 years of coaching in the NBA, he returned to Michigan State as an assistant with the Spartans, in part because he wanted to tend to his ill father. As Izzo's top assistant, he helped lead Michigan State to a 45–23 record in two years, including two NCAA appearances.

In his first season, Boylen brought more consistency to the Utes, guiding them to their first winning record in two years and their first postseason berth since reaching the NCAA Tournament in 2005. While there were some struggles, including two losses to BYU for the second consecutive year, Utah did manage to beat instate rival Utah State soundly and earned a surprising victory on the road at Cal. The Utes also stunned New Mexico in the first round of the 2008 Mountain West Tournament, all but killing the Lobos chances of gaining an at-large berth to the NCAA Tournament. Boylen's Utes finished his inaugural season with an 18–15 mark, defeating UTEP in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational before losing to eventual champion Tulsa.

In his second season, Boylen turned the Utes into Mountain West Conference champions, guiding them to a 21–9 regular season record (12–4 in the Mountain West) and winning the conference tournament. The Utes were then given a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament but were upset by a University of Arizona squad with two future NBA players (#8 pick Jordan Hill and second-round pick Chase Budinger)

After graduating several key players from 2008-09 team, Utah struggled in Boylen's third season, regressing to a losing record and finishing in the bottom-half of the Mountain West Conference. Their 17 losses marks their second worst total in the last 20 years – with only the 2007 Utes having more on the season.

In Boylen's fourth season, the Utes went 13-18. The program fired him on March 12th, 2011.

http://www.clublakers.com/lakers-discussion/fit-register-t20179.html

Jim Boylan, Tomjanovich's assistant in Houston and now a Milwaukee assistant, said Tomjanovich is sort of a tailor-to-the-stars when it comes to establishing offense.

"Rudy is great at finding something a player can do and being flexible," Boylan said. "When he had Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon) and Clyde (Drexler) and Charles Barkley, he ran post-ups. When he had Scottie Pippen, he put in Chicago Bulls plays and put him on the elbow and let him create. When he had Stevie Francis and Cuttino Mobley, he ran pitch-and-shoot plays. Then when he got Yao Ming he went back inside.

"He's great at clearing the air. After a loss Rudy would go in and say, 'We lost because we didn't execute four of the last five possessions, we had two late defensive breakdowns and we missed four free throws.' Then he'll show 'em the tape the next morning. He gets it very clear in a hurry. Because if you let those clouds gather, your whole season can get very dark.

"But he believes in having fun and including everybody," Boylan added. "If a guy brings his mother to a game on the road he'll have her fly back home with the team. I mean, we've got 25 extra seats on the plane. Other coaches might say, no, she flies back the next morning. Rudy is never personal with criticism and he treats people the way they would like to be treated."

Unclebuck
07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Is that anything like the "dump it to J.O. and stand around" offense?

That is what the Rockets ran with Hakeem. There were a lot of complaints throughout the NBA at the time that the Rockets offense was extremely boring

pizza guy
07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
The problem with the "dump-it-inside" offense is that it takes a dominant post player. That's why it worked for Houston, that's why it worked for us for a couple years with JO. Hibbert, as much as I love him, isn't dominant. Maybe working with a guy who coached Hakeem will improve Hibbert, and maybe that's the biggest reason we got Boylen.

I didn't know Boylen had that kind of history, so now I'm a little more excited.

pacer4ever
07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
That is what the Rockets ran with Hakeem. There were a lot of complaints throughout the NBA at the time that the Rockets offense was extremely boring

well with Hakeem you can afford to do this because he had some of the best post moves ever and nice touch. I mean with Hibbert this would be a huge failure IMO.

naptownmenace
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
well with Hakeem you can afford to do this because he had some of the best post moves ever and nice touch. I mean with Hibbert this would be a huge failure IMO.

Hibbert has good post moves. It's his touch and accuracy that he needs work on but it's way too soon to give up on him. He's going into season 4 after his first full season as the starting center. I'm sure he learned a lot from his experience in the playoffs and he has the desire to work hard and get better.

I think Roy will be a 18 ppg, 8.5 rebs, and 2 blocks per game type of All-Star center within a couple more seasons.

Granville
07-19-2011, 04:18 PM
I say Shaw gets the head coaching job here, unless Vogel goes deep in the playoffs.

The Pacers weren't even a .500 team a year ago. I can't imagine that Vogel gets fired after just one year if they don't go deep into the playoffs.

Merz
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM
http://www.clublakers.com/lakers-discussion/fit-register-t20179.html

Jim Boylan, Tomjanovich's assistant in Houston and now a Milwaukee assistant, said Tomjanovich is sort of a tailor-to-the-stars when it comes to establishing offense.

"Rudy is great at finding something a player can do and being flexible," Boylan said. "When he had Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon) and Clyde (Drexler) and Charles Barkley, he ran post-ups. When he had Scottie Pippen, he put in Chicago Bulls plays and put him on the elbow and let him create. When he had Stevie Francis and Cuttino Mobley, he ran pitch-and-shoot plays. Then when he got Yao Ming he went back inside.

"He's great at clearing the air. After a loss Rudy would go in and say, 'We lost because we didn't execute four of the last five possessions, we had two late defensive breakdowns and we missed four free throws.' Then he'll show 'em the tape the next morning. He gets it very clear in a hurry. Because if you let those clouds gather, your whole season can get very dark.

"But he believes in having fun and including everybody," Boylan added. "If a guy brings his mother to a game on the road he'll have her fly back home with the team. I mean, we've got 25 extra seats on the plane. Other coaches might say, no, she flies back the next morning. Rudy is never personal with criticism and he treats people the way they would like to be treated."

That article seems to be mashing Jim Boylen and Jim Boylan together. Boylen is the Pacer assistant who was with the Rockets years ago and Boylan is the current Milwaukee assistant.

Kegboy
07-19-2011, 09:25 PM
That article seems to be mashing Jim Boylen and Jim Boylan together. Boylen is the Pacer assistant who was with the Rockets years ago and Boylan is the current Milwaukee assistant.

Yes, but it's a seven year-old article, back when Boylen was an assistant with Milwaukee, and Boylan was in Chicago. Alas, they still confused the spelling.