PDA

View Full Version : Amir Johnson. Another option at Power Forward?

ensergio
07-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Johnson is slightly overpaid, but is young, can rebound and block shots. The Raptors have his frontcourt of the future with Ed Davis and Valanciunas (Bargnani as a SF, or big from the bench). Can we trade for Johnson? Surely the Raptors want flexibility now.

Here his stats: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2769/amir-johnson

I prefer him than overpay for older players.

D0NT SH0OT ME
07-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Don't know much about him, but from his stats he looks like a very efficient player. I like the BPG and SPG for how many minutes he plays, but would like a few more RPG from a player that would be in contention for our starting PF. I, like most posters around here, would like to have a defensive minded PF who also snags a lot of rebounds, so if Amir fits that bill then I would be more than happy to welcome him here.

spreedom
07-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Well I would say it's not likely that Bargs would be able to slide to the 3 and he likely is paid too much and is too talented to have a bench role, so he's probably going to get moved. That might mean that Johnson isn't available anymore as well.

Isn't there some kind of bad rap about Amir's inability to stay out of foul trouble? From what I've seen from him is is a good defensive player and rebounder, but I'd be kind of concerned about paying a guy that much money if he's going to have trouble staying on the floor. If we're envisioning him as our third big, or at least in a timeshare at the 4 with Tyler, then I'd be okay with it if we were responsible with the rest of our cap space, but if this was the big move we make without any other major changes to the roster I would be a little underwhelmed.

joew8302
07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
No thanks. He is not much, if at all, better than Tyler or Josh. His contract is also pretty ugly IMO.

judicata
07-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I'd prefer Ed Davis since he can also spell Hibbert at the 5, but its probably not possible. Can anyone who watches the Raptors give some insight on Amir?

ensergio
07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
No thanks. He is not much, if at all, better than Tyler or Josh. His contract is also pretty ugly IMO.

He's a diferent kind of player. Not a shooter or a versatile player in the offense. Nonetheless, he is a much better defender, rebounder and shotblocker.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
He would fit in nice here, but he is not available. Much much better rebounder and defender than David West. Reasonable contract for a defensive presence too. Could he be had for cap space - Posey? Probably going to require the 1st rd pick. He is interesting to look into if the price is right!

ensergio
07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Well I would say it's not likely that Bargs would be able to slide to the 3 and he likely is paid too much and is too talented to have a bench role, so he's probably going to get moved. That might mean that Johnson isn't available anymore as well.

Bargnani's contract is gonna be more difficult to move. I like to think of Johnson in a Gibson like role for us. A defensive minded power forward, some fouls and some toughness.

LetsTalkPacers
07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I keep finding myself going back to Dalembert.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I'd prefer Ed Davis since he can also spell Hibbert at the 5, but its probably not possible. Can anyone who watches the Raptors give some insight on Amir?

I am not sure I would give a 1st rd pick for Amir. Not saying I wouldnt, I just dont know enough about him. However, I WOULD give the pick up for Davis. He would be a great addition and could backup both Tyler and Roy. He rebounds and blocks shots too!
Add George Hill and Ed Davis to this core and we could have a really strong team for years to come!!!!

ballism
07-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't call Amir Johnson a good defender. When watching Raptors game, I've never ever thought "Amir Johnson would improve our defence". He has the tools on paper and he blocks a shot once in a while, that's it. And he's not cheap. And he has some pretty dunks. I'd rather stay with Tyler if it comes to that.

judicata
07-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I am not sure I would give a 1st rd pick for Amir. Not saying I wouldnt, I just dont know enough about him. However, I WOULD give the pick up for Davis. He would be a great addition and could backup both Tyler and Roy. He rebounds and blocks shots too!
Add George Hill and Ed Davis to this core and we could have a really strong team for years to come!!!!

I tend to agree. Keeping in mind that next year's draft will be very deep our pick is worth a fair bit even if we're picking in the low 20s. There should be a number of guys available at those slots that can help immediately: Mason Plumlee, John Henson (He's supposedly up to 220 lbs), Tyler Zeller, CJ Leslie should all be there, and depending on how their season goes, Sullinger, Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, James McAdoo, and Andre Drummond might be around if we're picking closer to 15. I think Davis is worth it, but I don't know enough about Amir to hold a useful opinion.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't call Amir Johnson a good defender. When watching Raptors game, I've never ever thought "Amir Johnson would improve our defence". He has the tools on paper and he blocks a shot once in a while, that's it. And he's not cheap. And he has some pretty dunks. I'd rather stay with Tyler if it comes to that.

I dont think anyone on here was suggesting he would replace Tyler. I think the feeling is he would be a good backup. So the better question is: Is he an improvement over McBob? It seems like the answer would be yes, but I dont know enough about him!

ballism
07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I dont think anyone on here was suggesting he would replace Tyler. I think the feeling is he would be a good backup. So the better question is: Is he an improvement over McBob? It seems like the answer would be yes, but I dont know enough about him!

I'd be bummed out if we spent 6-7 mil each year on Tyler's backup. Why not add 3 mil and get a quality starter, and have Tyler as the backup?

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd be bummed out if we spent 6-7 mil each year on Tyler's backup. Why not add 3 mil and get a quality starter, and have Tyler as the backup?

Find a shot blocking, defensive presence type of big man out there for 9-10 mill then! I dont see one out there. Hey, I am a big fan of Tyler but get a defensive, shot blocking presence in the post and I am game!

With all the cap room, I would not be bummed at all with Johnson. Every good team has quality reserves - Jason Terry!!!!

ballism
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Find a shot blocking, defensive presence type of big man out there for 9-10 mill then! I dont see one out there. Hey, I am a big fan of Tyler but get a defensive, shot blocking presence in the post and I am game!

With all the cap room, I would not be bummed at all with Johnson. Every good team has quality reserves - Jason Terry!!!!

I understand the logic but... you are talking about Amir Johnson. He's not a defensive presence.

wintermute
07-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I actually like Amir, but not enough to think he's worth his current contract.

Positives: still young at 24, quick, very athletic, shotblocking ability

Negatives: still horribly undeveloped after 5 years in the league, lacks strength, fouls too much, generally low bball IQ

In short, he's too much of a project player for a guy who's paid to be a contributor. I think we should pass.

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/RealitysEnd/My%20GIFs/GTFo.gif

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I understand the logic but... you are talking about Amir Johnson. He's not a defensive presence.

I honestly dont know much about the player. I do know that if his minutes were extended out to a typical starters he would average almost 10 boards and 1.5 blocks per game. He sounds a lot like Taj Gibson of the Bulls.
I am not advocating him, I am open to learning more about him. People do tend to over-value other teams' players on this board while being to critical of their own!

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I actually like Amir, but not enough to think he's worth his current contract.

Positives: still young at 24, quick, very athletic, shotblocking ability

Negatives: still horribly undeveloped after 5 years in the league, lacks strength, fouls too much, generally low bball IQ

In short, he's too much of a project player for a guy who's paid to be a contributor. I think we should pass.

Let me ask all you you who are not in favor of Amir: Would you McBob for him? That is essentially what would happen. And he is only making 6mill. McBob could get close to that. Maybe a little under.

ballism
07-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I honestly dont know much about the player. I do know that if his minutes were extended out to a typical starters he would average almost 10 boards and 1.5 blocks per game. He sounds a lot like Taj Gibson of the Bulls.

On paper. But Gibson is not just a shot blocker. He's an overall quality defender. Amir Johnson is an athletic specimen who will block some shots. And not that many shots.
Think Birdman-lite.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
On paper. But Gibson is not just a shot blocker. He's an overall quality defender. Amir Johnson is an athletic specimen who will block some shots. And not that many shots.
Think Birdman-lite.

I would love to send Rush and a 1st for Gibson!

judicata
07-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I would love to send Rush and a 1st for Gibson!

Not a 2012 1st.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Not a 2012 1st.

With the addition of Gibson and Hill along with the development of the core, that 2012 1st wouldnt be that good. Early 20's best. Very little chance a player selected that low will ever amount to anything. Even in a strong draft.

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 10:11 PM
With the addition of Gibson and Hill along with the development of the core, that 2012 1st wouldnt be that good. Early 20's best. Very little chance a player selected that low will ever amount to anything. Even in a strong draft.

no way you trade a 2012 pick for a guy you are gonna have to over pay next year.

joew8302
07-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Let me ask all you you who are not in favor of Amir: Would you McBob for him? That is essentially what would happen. And he is only making 6mill. McBob could get close to that. Maybe a little under.

No way on earth McBob would fetch anywhere near 6 million per year under the past CBA let along the future one. Josh for 2 million >>>>>>>>>>>>>Amir for 6 and it isn't close.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 10:20 PM
No way on earth McBob would fetch anywhere near 6 million per year under the past CBA let along the future one. Josh for 2 million >>>>>>>>>>>>>Amir for 6 and it isn't close.

Josh will make 4-5mill next year easy!
People on this board are always undervaluing our players and overvaluing others. Memphis was willing to part with OJ Mayo for McBob and a crappy 1st rd pick. He will make some money when this lockout is over.

troyc11a
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
no way you trade a 2012 pick for a guy you are gonna have to over pay next year.

So what are you suggesting? Trade the pick for someone who isnt any good? You only have to overpay if the guy is in demand. There is a reason Gibson will be in demand = he is really good!

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
So what are you suggesting? Trade the pick for someone who isnt any good? You only have to overpay if the guy is in demand. There is a reason Gibson will be in demand = he is really good!

no keep the pick

Gibson will get overpaid hopefully not by us.

Really?
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Keel the pick... the 20th pick in next years draft will probably be just as strong if not stronger than Johnson or Gibson at the 4... next year should be a PF heavy draft.

That being said I do like Johnson and feel he still has more than anyone we have at the 4 position right now..

He is overpaid though.....

joew8302
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM
People on this board are always undervaluing our players and overvaluing others. Memphis was willing to part with OJ Mayo for McBob and a crappy 1st rd pick. He will make some money when this lockout is over.

Hi Josh's agent, good to meet you.

judicata
07-15-2011, 01:47 AM

I listed some of the options that will be available at 15-25. I think all of those guys will be better than Gibson.

troyc11a
07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi Josh's agent, good to meet you.

You might be the lone person on this board that doesnt think Josh earned some money next year. Bird even said as much.

Besides there are several players making 6mill that are not even close to Josh! - See James Posey!!!!!

Dgreenwell3
07-15-2011, 03:42 PM

You basically Just described everything I don't want in the pacers next big man in the negatives...bird will pass

Justin Tyme
07-15-2011, 04:17 PM

People on this board are always undervaluing our players and overvaluing others.

Memphis was willing to part with OJ Mayo for McBob and a crappy 1st rd pick. He will make some money when this lockout is over.

LOL! If any team does, they are more than welcome to him. If Bird does, he needs to be fired.

People on this board are more often than not OVERVALUING Pacer players, and your a prime example.

McBob was the least valuable asset of that trade. The money saved by Memphis was to be used to re-sign Marc Gasol and the 1st round pick were more important than McBob! You truly believe that not one player in the last 16 picks in the 011 1st round won't be better than McBob? WOW! Talk about overvaluating Pacer players!

joew8302
07-15-2011, 04:44 PM
You might be the lone person on this board that doesnt think Josh earned some money next year. Bird even said as much.

Besides there are several players making 6mill that are not even close to Josh! - See James Posey!!!!!

Outstanding point. Since James Posey is overpaid lets overpay Josh!!!

Justin Tyme
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM

This has been cussed and discussed in the earlier McBob thread, and there are many who felt McBob wasn't worth MLE money as some think. I'll be surprised if McBob get 4 mil. The 2.5-3.5 mil range is more realistic. He made $885,000 and at the 2.5-3.5 mil it's a 3 to 4 x's increase in salary.

Oh please! If McBob ever wears "2" championship rings, then feel the need to bring up this comparison again. Posey isn't worth 6 mil now, but there was a time he was.