PDA

View Full Version : Are replacement players a possibility?

Pacerized
07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
If the lockout looks likely to last the full season is it possible for teams to be filled with replacement players?
I really want what's best for the Pacers in the long run and I think major changes to the cba closer to what the owners want are needed for that to happen. I'd rather have the lockout then for the system to remain the same as it is, or the same as the players want. I really hate the idea of missing an entire season of NBA though. I've thought about it and given the choice of no nba or watching teams put together with replacement players, I'd watch the replacements.
How would anyone else feel about this?
I have no idea how to add a poll to the thread or I would.

xBulletproof
07-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Point me to the tryouts. I'm there.

Shade
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't think I would watch replacement players.

jcouts
07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I wonder what Britton Johnson's up to these days

ballism
07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I might be interested in replacing Dirk for a while.

ballism
07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
On a serious note, there will be continental cups, Euroleague / NCAA, and so on. It's not like there's completely no basketball to watch. I'd much rather watch that or just some other sport instead of random NBDL level guys in NBA uniforms. Make no mistake, NBA caliber veterans who have solid full year contracts in other leagues won't join on temp basis.
It's not even about talent, you've got to consider general chemistry and quality of team play in this thing.
Either way, it's not a feasible solution for the owners. What happens with season tickets, team endorsement deals, TV games? There would be a lot of unhappy parties in this. It's probably less costly to stay in the lockout than jump in front of cameras with subpar product and **** everyone off.

graphic-er
07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
No way that happens. The owners that are losing money would rather just not have a season. Plus think of all the season ticket holders around the league who be upset. Nobody pays over $80 a game to sit in the lower bowl of conseco to watch players like Britton Johnson and Maceo Baston.

cdash
07-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Keanu Reeves is available for the movie adaptation.

tikitomoka
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Absolutely not.

vnzla81
07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I'll be willing to sign a few months contract :D

Swish
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
No way that happens. The owners that are losing money would rather just not have a season. Plus think of all the season ticket holders around the league who be upset. Nobody pays over $80 a game to sit in the lower bowl of conseco to watch players like Britton Johnson and Maceo Baston.

They did it when they played here.

BRushWithDeath
07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
The players are not on strike. It would be illegal for replacement players to be brought in when the players want to play.

Replacement owners though...

Pacerized
07-14-2011, 12:32 PM
The players are not on strike. It would be illegal for replacement players to be brought in when the players want to play.

I don't think it's illegal. Replacement workers have been brought into other industries when companies have imposed lockouts. I've personally had the displeasure of dealing with both strikes and lockouts. Companies in my industry hired replacement workers during both strikes and lockouts.

I don't think something like this would happen but if it did ticket prices would only be a fraction of what they are now. I don't think I'd enjoy it with the interest I have in the real NBA but I'd watch replacement players over European ball.

Since86
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think I would watch replacement players.

Aren't you a pretty die-hard IU fan?

I already love watching college players, why wouldn't I want to watch them for a little bit longer? Not like they magically lose their abilities once they're not drafted.

Since86
07-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I wonder what Britton Johnson's up to these days

That team will go down as one of my favorite teams ever, regardless if it's just the Pacers or not.

Watching players actually give 100% effort, playing for their lives. I was actually PROUD to be a Pacers fan watching those guys battle.

BPump33
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
That team will go down as one of my favorite teams ever, regardless if it's just the Pacers or not.

Watching players actually give 100% effort, playing for their lives. I was actually PROUD to be a Pacers fan watching those guys battle.

Absolutely. Those guys played damn HARD.

beast23
07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
No way would replacements even be considered. It would create havoc with the season ticket holders for sure.

And, if they did, I suppose I could replace Humphries..... at home though... not at work.

xIndyFan
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM

not sure about the relacement owners but the rest of this is correct.

replacement players are players that are replacing guys that are on strike. a strike is when the workers walk out. in this case, the owners are locking the players out. as soon as the owners open the doors to hire replacement players, they have to pay the guys that already have contracts. so replacement players are not a possibility.

Roaming Gnome
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Not just no, but HELL NO!!! I know some of you say that you'd watch anyone as long as the name on the front of the laundry had "Pacers" on it... I guess I'm not that guy!

I pay way too much money for season tickets to watch YMCA scrubs/sub par college players. Honestly, I don't like the college game for the watered down skill level, so why would I want to pay to see something that I normally wouldn't give the time of day.

...unless it's the tourny. ...and that is not really appointment television for me!

Pacerized
07-14-2011, 05:39 PM
not sure about the relacement owners but the rest of this is correct.

replacement players are players that are replacing guys that are on strike. a strike is when the workers walk out. in this case, the owners are locking the players out. as soon as the owners open the doors to hire replacement players, they have to pay the guys that already have contracts. so replacement players are not a possibility.

I don't see why it would differ from any other industry. You can look up several different industries were replacement workers were used while the employees were locked out after a cba expired such as retail workers, garbarge workers ect. The only difference is the nba players are under a financial contract whereas the other workers are hourly with their only contract being the expired cba. I don't think they have to be on strike to be legally replaced.

BRushWithDeath
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't see why it would differ from any other industry. You can look up several different industries were replacement workers were used while the employees were locked out after a cba expired such as retail workers, garbarge workers ect. The only difference is the nba players are under a financial contract whereas the other workers are hourly with their only contract being the expired cba. I don't think they have to be on strike to be legally replaced.

This is not a little difference.