PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Women's Soccer World Cup

31andonly
07-13-2011, 03:32 AM
I haven't seen a thread about the World Cup so I was wondering if nobody's interested?! The US Team has been pretty impressive so far, especially in the quarter finals against Brazil, where they came back from a 2-1 deficit to tie the game in extra time and finally win it in penalty shootout.

I never cared about Women's soccer, but these games are really fun to watch.

Today it's France - USA, I cross my fingers for Team US. They've been awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_-FmVaPu8Z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

judicata
07-13-2011, 05:03 AM
I don't care much about women's soccer either, other than to follow Carolina's women's team casually. I agree that this has been exciting even for the bandwagoners. Beating those cheaters was great!

Also, Hope Solo is one sexy lady.

DaveP63
07-13-2011, 07:21 AM
I'll be very interested. I've followed it closely since the opening round.

31andonly
07-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Also, Hope Solo is one sexy lady.

This!

ECKrueger
07-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Ali Krieger is my favorite. Clinched the Brazil game with the last penalty kick, and her last name is pronounced the same way as mine :) and she is pretty ;)

Seriously though, I am not a huge soccer fan, but the Brazil game was pretty freaking intense.

Ali Krieger:
http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/WNT/K/Ali-Krieger.aspx

31andonly
07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
fwiw, "Krieger" means "warrior" in German.

ECKrueger
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
fwiw, "Krieger" means "warrior" in German.

Wow, I like her even more! What about Krueger?

Trader Joe
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Saddle up.

Sandman21
07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
INDIANAPOLIS BD BEING REPRESENTED EARLY!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

ECKrueger
07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
USA 3 - 1 FRA

Constellations
07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Anybody watching Japan Vs. Sweden?

Constellations
07-13-2011, 04:04 PM
60 Minutes elapsed

JAP-2 Vs SWE-1

Constellations
07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
65 Minutes elapsed

JAP-3 Vs SWE- 1

Japan is dominating.

ECKrueger
07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
There is one reason I never liked soccer, in addition to it being pretty boring often.

I could never figure out whether soccer players are bigger actors or pansies.

Constellations
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
There is one reason I never liked soccer, in addition to it being pretty boring often.

I could never figure out whether soccer players are bigger actors or pansies.

LOL. Compared to NBA? Dumb statement.

ECKrueger
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
LOL. Compared to NBA? Dumb statement.

Seriously? I know some NBA players are floppers, and sometimes it is pretty bad. Nearly every player in soccer seems to flop, and yes sometimes they do get hurt, but they act like they broke a bone every time they go down.

If you watched the Brazil/USA Erika or who ever just randomly fell down to waste time at the very end, got carried off on a stretcher, jumped off as soon as she was off the field, and then returned to the game.

They're both bad at times, but I think soccer is worse.

31andonly
07-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Wow, I like her even more! What about Krueger?

Nope...sorry, Krueger is actually a very common name here in Germany, but I don't think it has a special meaning.

Trader Joe
07-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Pansies...hilarious. Soccer is one of the most dangerous sports to play. It produces more knee and ankle injuries than any other sport.

ECKrueger
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Pansies...hilarious. Soccer is one of the most dangerous sports to play. It produces more knee and ankle injuries than any other sport.

Ok, so they are actors then. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of soccer, but there is a lot of acting. That's just my opinion based on what I have watched. Obviously players do get hurt, like knees and ankles as you said, but not every time I don't think.

Nope...sorry, Krueger is actually a very common name here in Germany, but I don't think it has a special meaning.

Oh, thanks for the insight. That's my last name, my dad's side of the family came from there at some point in time.

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Ok, so they are actors then. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of soccer, but there is a lot of acting. That's just my opinion based on what I have watched. Obviously players do get hurt, like knees and ankles as you said, but not every time I don't think.

Oh, thanks for the insight. That's my last name, my dad's side of the family came from there at some point in time.

its part of the game but come out and play some competitive travel ball soccer with some good players it is very physical and after playing for a long time it kills your ankles, knees, and joints. Ironically i broke my arm playing soccer it is very physical and injuries happen all the time.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/Robertomaspalomas10/2000_Koller.jpg
Jan Koller!! I think were related lol! Czech Republic is pretty bad *** in soccer! I wish he played for Hungary instead he has a Hungarian name.

ECKrueger
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I knew it was a matter of time before some one said "go play soccer" or something. No I have not played, I am sure it is physical and hurts, but I also think there is a lot of acting. All I'm gonna say.

Hopefully USA wins this weekend. USA!

Trader Joe
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
I think there's acting in all sports. NBA, NFL (receivers looking for the interference call) At least soccer has constant movement instead of forcing me to sit through a 3 hour game of American football for 13 minutes of actual gameplay.

ECKrueger
07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I think there's acting in all sports. NBA, NFL (receivers looking for the interference call) At least soccer has constant movement instead of forcing me to sit through a 3 hour game of American football for 13 minutes of actual gameplay.

I can agree on that. While soccer players are always moving, they are not always doing a lot. I would say there is a similar amount of action in each, it is just spread out differently.

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I can agree on that. While soccer players are always moving, they are not always doing a lot. I would say there is a similar amount of action in each, it is just spread out differently.

When i played striker I ran an average of 3-4 miles per game (which if you dont know only plays the scoring side of the field like Abby Wambach or my favorite player in the world Carlos Tevez.)

Most mids run 6-8 and i mean there is really no rest you have to always be ready and moving and no subs unless your done 90mins long. For HS travel ball training we ran 4-6 miles per practice(not including scrimmage and drills you have to be in great shape to play which is the main reason i stopped playing lol)

ECKrueger
07-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I mean from a fan's POV. I know they run a lot, but when watching, the action is continuous and slow-paced. Football is discontinuous but higher intensity.

Trader Joe
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I mean this in all seriousness, go watch a high level European club team, Barcelona and Arsenal are two of the best examples of a high paces attacking, passing/possession focused offense and see if you feel the same way. It's called the Beautiful Game for a reason.

Since86
07-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I mean from a fan's POV. I know they run a lot, but when watching, the action is continuous and slow-paced. Football is discontinuous but higher intensity.

It's just knowing what you're seeing. When you don't know what's going on, you just look at it like their simply kicking the ball around. The skill at which they play is just amazing.

It's one of the funniest but yet hardest sports I've ever played. And it's unquestionably dangerous.

I watched a teammate break both his tibia and fibula in half in practice. Sounded like a car snapped a telephone pole, but worse.

I also ended up with 18 stitches after a match. Got kicked squarely in the back of my head. And if anything, it knocked more sense into me rather than losing some. ;)

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
It's just knowing what you're seeing. When you don't know what's going on, you just look at it like their simply kicking the ball around. The skill at which they play is just amazing.

It's one of the funniest but yet hardest sports I've ever played. And it's unquestionably dangerous.

I watched a teammate break both his tibia and fibula in half in practice. Sounded like a car snapped a telephone pole, but worse.

I also ended up with 18 stitches after a match. Got kicked squarely in the back of my head. And if anything, it knocked more sense into me rather than losing some. ;)

this times 100% the footwork required for soccer is insane watch a team like Man City and Carlos Tevez work. The problem to the average fan who has never played is they make it look so easy. Just a trap of a 30 yard pass is very diffcult and they do it with their eyes closed. Golf is the hardest game i have played but soccer is the one where you need the most skill to succeed.

About getting kicked I have tons of bad story's the worst is getting kicked in the nuts with a 30+ mph kick brutal.

I actually played in this winter league in doors. But it wasn't like normal in doors there was out of bounds and it was incredibility hard to play it was played on a b ball court 4v4 it was much harder to score than it sound.

Constellations
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Anybody watching any soccer at all today?

Currently watching: FH Hafnarfjordur vs Clube Desportivo Nacional

Psyren
07-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I think too many of the people that don't like soccer are too used to watching highlights of the MLS.

The MLS is really pathetic compared to what you find across the world. Go watch a game from the Premier League and it will likely change your mind. Those teams are far more skilled and play a much more exciting game than what you find from the MLS.

kester99
07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Kruger
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Krüger, Kruger or Krueger without the Umlaut Ü are German surnames originating from Krüger, meaning tavern-keeper in Low Saxon or potter in High German.

----------------

Also: Megan Rapinoe is a gamer.

ECKrueger
07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Kruger
Krüger, Kruger or Krueger without the Umlaut Ü are German surnames originating from Krüger, meaning tavern-keeper in Low Saxon or potter in High German.

----------------

Also: Megan Rapinoe is a gamer.

Dang, warrior is much cooler than tavern keeper. Plus, if my name was spelled with an 'i' people would actually say it right.

DaveP63
07-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Got my start back in Jr. High and High School watching German League games they used to show on PBS, back in the day. Franz Beckenbauer anyone?

31andonly
07-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Kruger

Yep, true, but if you hear the name Krüger (or Krueger) here, you wouldn't think of tavern-keeper or potter. The word itself is too old-fashioned and nobody would use it in this context anymore. It's just a name, pretty much like Williams or Johnson or whatever.

ECKrueger
07-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Dang so I guess I am just average haha :)

Any way, GO USA!!

pacer4ever
07-17-2011, 03:50 PM
this is so frustrating out playing Japan so much but no results to show for it. Chaney had to finish that header. Sucks for Chaney she cant finish hopefully Alex Morgan steps up for her.

We have to eventually finish a goal off.

pacer4ever
07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
finally Alex Morgan Goal

pacer4ever
07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
that was such a cheap goal by Japan this is sad. USA has out played Japan by so much but not taking advantage of chances could cost them the game.

pacer4ever
07-17-2011, 04:54 PM
what a sexy play nice pass and finish
'
usa coach deserves so much credit Alex Morgan has been insane the last few games.

wow great goal by japan again usa could of probably cleared the ball. Like the first goal but at least that goal was less cheap.

31andonly
07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
What the...

pacer4ever
07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
penalties great game! But USA has to be kicking them selves for not finishing in the 1st half.

31andonly
07-17-2011, 05:13 PM
This game is crazy

pacer4ever
07-17-2011, 05:17 PM

immortality
07-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Great game by both teams! First equalizer may have been cheap, but it was a US mistake, they went defensive and paid the cost. USA clearly dominated with its attack, but Japan persevered with its patience. Hopefully women's soccer continues to get exciting, needs more flashy passes :D.

Pig Nash
07-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Exciting game to watch though not the result we were all hoping for.

Trader Joe
07-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Every tackle on an unimpeded path to goal that results in a red card should be a PK.

immortality
07-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Every tackle on an unimpeded path to goal that results in a red card should be a PK.

that happens when its inside the box ;p

Trader Joe
07-17-2011, 06:07 PM
that happens when its inside the box ;p

I'm aware, but Morgan's attack there was a better goal scoring chance than 90% of the penalties in the box that actually end up PKs.

immortality
07-17-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm aware, but Morgan's attack there was a better goal scoring chance than 90% of the penalties in the box that actually end up PKs.

Yea but it was a good play by the Japanese Defender, who had no other choice of stopping it, USA also got a good chance with the free kick, but nothing happened. Not the best analogy but its almost like giving a hard foul in basketball. In Japan's POV they had no other choice.

Sandman21
07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I blame 1070 for the loss. After the US scored in extra time, they cut away for the WNBA just in time for Japan to tie it up again. WHAT THE HECK!

Psyren
07-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Tough loss to take, and neither team really deserved it.

I congratulate Japan, but the US lost it. Plain and simple. You don't go into a defensive shell. History has shown us (In many sports) that trying to play survival often doesn't work well.

I'm very proud of the ladies and what they did, but it just wasn't good coaching on the US' behalf.

Sookie
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Anyone else think that Hope Solo looks like Blake Lively?

BRushWithDeath
07-18-2011, 03:34 PM

No.

But the sister in Dexter, yes.

DaveP63
07-18-2011, 05:52 PM

No, but I'd wear her like a hat.

Pacersalltheway10
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Surprised no one has said anything about Alex Morgan. That's where it's at.

pacer4ever
07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
the Olympics is only a 1yr away that's where they should try to get redemption. But a WC is more important than the Olympics IMO. Tough pill to swallow.