PDA

View Full Version : More praise for Lance

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110712/SPORTS04/107120302/Area-NBA-players-among-those-competing-games-IUPUI

"The league has grown tremendously," said Knox, who starred at IUPUI in the 1990s. "The competition level has increased every year. It's on pace to becoming the top pro-am in the Midwest."

The eight-team league consists of local NBA players, athletes playing overseas and collegians from area schools such as Indiana, Butler and IUPUI.

Games are played Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6-10 p.m. Admission is free. Crowds averaging about 650 have attended the first couple of weeks. Players try to sign autographs, time permitting, after games.

"My ultimate goal is for this to become an NBA-sanctioned league where we are housing the majority of the NBA players taking part," Knox said.

This is the perfect time for Knox's league to expand because of the NBA's current lockout. There is no timetable for when it might end.

The league was supposed to conclude in early August. But the plan now is to extend it as long as possible so players have an avenue to find competitive games. Games are played with NBA rules, including a 24-second shot clock and 3-point line.

"I'll probably get in a lot of games here this summer," Mack said. "This is a great league Knox has put on, so I'm going to take advantage of it and be ready for when the lockout ends."

Stephenson barely played during his rookie season with the Indiana Pacers. He'll work out with a personal trainer in Indianapolis most of the summer because he can't use the facilities at Conseco Fieldhouse. The rest of his time will be spent at the Pro Am.

"I'm just trying to get into game shape after not getting a lot of minutes last season and now having all this time off," said Stephenson, one of the best players in the league. "I'm just going to keep working hard and get my body ready for the season for whenever it starts."

Knox networked at state schools last year to entice their players to take part in the league.

IU has seven players involved, including Victor Oladipo and Jordan Hulls. Former NBA player and Muncie native Bonzi Wells is also participating. Wells' Team Green, which includes former NBA player Andre Owens, is currently in first place with a 3-0 record.

Some NBA players have shied away from playing because of health concerns. Pacers center Roy Hibbert had been listed as a participant but posted a message on his Twitter page last month saying he has no plans to take part due to such issues.

"I let all the coaches and players know that this is a safe, fun atmosphere and their guys are not going to get hurt," Knox said. "They know the level of competition is good. With NBA players playing in it, people know it's none of that crazy play or anything. I have big people who are really behind it when it comes to George and Zach."

BRushWithDeath
07-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Honest question:

How on Earth could that be interpreted as praise?

Psyren
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Honest question:

Because he's not in trouble? :whoknows:

Banta
07-12-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm gonna go check this out on Thursday.

Since86
07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm gonna go check this out on Thursday.

I believe it's shut down Thursday due to an event that IUPUI already had scheduled.

Lance George
07-12-2011, 10:17 AM
One of the best players in the league.

pacer4ever
07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I believe it's shut down Thursday due to an event that IUPUI already had scheduled.

no its not that was last Thursday(i have the schedule in front of me there is full schedule Tuesday and Thursday till august 4th which is now expected to be expanded )

pacers74
07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I am really glad he is still working out now that he doesn't have Clark or any of the pacer facilites to use. He seems to be taking steps in the right direction. He could have easily gone in wrong direction now that the NBA is locked out. Just look at Beasley.

Strummer
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Honest question:

You have to look at the source. Normally when Wells mentions Lance he pastes his standard diatribe about why Lance should be cut and whining about his guaranteed contract.

But instead Wells has started changing his tune lately. He's looking for positives to report. It's significant, it shows real growth for Wells. And I agree with the OP, I think coming from Wells this constitutes praise.

Since86
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
You have to look at the source. Normally when Wells mentions Lance he pastes his standard diatribe about why Lance should be cut and whining about his guaranteed contract.

But instead Wells has started changing his tune lately. He's looking for positives to report. It's significant, it shows real growth for Wells. And I agree with the OP, I think coming from Wells this constitutes praise.

How is it praise? He said Lance is staying in Indy and working out. Big freaking whoop.

You're posting at PacersDigest.com. There I gave you some "praise."

PR07
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Even with the "best players in the league" comment (which is the only hint of praise I can detect in the entire article), isn't that expected? I mean there are a handful of NBA players in this league: Randolph, Hill, Gordon, Hayward, etc, but the rest are either college players or guys like Andre Owens. Lance Stephenson should be one of the best players in the league.

LetsTalkPacers
07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
How is it praise? He said Lance is staying in Indy and working out. Big freaking whoop.

You're posting at PacersDigest.com. There I gave you some "praise."

said Stephenson, one of the best players in the league.
That sounds like praise to me. geeze dude calm down

Since86
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
That sounds like praise to me. geeze dude calm down

Because it's a league full of college kids. How many other NBA'ers have actually played this year? One?

If a mere mention in an article is going to now be considered "praise" then we're going to have multiple "praise" articles a week.

I can just see it now: Lance Stephenson buys a new dog.

"Oh look at that, Lance is trying to rid the world of strays!" Bash me over the head now.

LetsTalkPacers
07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Because it's a league full of college kids. How many other NBA'ers have actually played this year? One?

If a mere mention in an article is going to now be considered "praise" then we're going to have multiple "praise" articles a week.

I can just see it now: Lance Stephenson buys a new dog.

"Oh look at that, Lance is trying to rid the world of strays!" Bash me over the head now.
whether you agree with its validity or not its still stands to reason that it is praise. I could say "Your the nicest person in this thread." and that's praise even if it is a line of crap.

Hicks
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
He's one of the best in this league because he's one of the handful of NBA talents. So what?

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Honest question:

"Best player in the camp"

Working out with trainer in Indy, not at home in Brooklyn doing God knows what

Seems to know that he needs experience to be better and is gaining that while playing

Seems like praise or at least good to here

Not sure why people get upset if the title doesnt seem to match exactly what they think it should. Cant we just comment on the subject or if it bothers some people so much, then why take the time to comment, just ignore the thread

JMHO

travmil
07-12-2011, 01:35 PM
A reporter said something positive about Lance....

http://www.frumsatire.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jizz-in-my-pants-jewish-300x222.jpg

humboldtpacer
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Good grief!!
For all the effort some people put into trying to find/create positive press on Lance, some people seem to spend an equal effort trying to find any opportunity to bash him and those who post this stuff.

Maybe praise is a bit of a strong word, but lets take some time to look at the positives in this article:

1) Lance seems committed to staying in Indy and working on his game and conditioning this summer, regardless of the lockout. For a young guy from New York who has made questionable decisions in the past, I'd say that is a very good sign.

2) While many have correctly mentioned that he SHOULD BE one of the best players in the league, it is still nice to see that the guy who could barely stay on the court last year is holding his own out there and perhaps having dominant moments. It should be noted Randolph, Gordon, and Hill are no slouches, and it could be seen as a compliment to be seen in the same grouping as them.

3) Mike Wells actually gave him somewhat of a compliment. Now I think this might be reading way too far into it, but it should be noted that this is a writer who has been very critical of Lance in the past. Additionally, he really didn't need to say anything like that. It was almost strange in the way he tagged it on to the end of Lance's quote.

Regardless, many of us view Lance as possessing an incredible amount of talent with a very questionable head on his shoulders. Why can't we applaud any snippet of news that seems to hint that he may be figuring it out? Is it such a bad thing to hope he's getting it together and could someday team up with Hill to make for one of the most dynamic backcourts in the league?

Since86
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
No one is "bashing" Lance. Lance still isn't even the subject of the thread.

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I think he is referring to the use of the word "praise" which might have been a stretch, but hey Im at work

Probably should have titled something like " Nice to hear about Lance, or good news about Lance"

I guess that some people get more caught up with title matching or semantics

kielbeze
07-12-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110712/SPORTS04/107120302/Area-NBA-players-among-those-competing-games-IUPUI
I am going to give some praise. Thanks for taking time out of your day to post some pacer related news to the digest bro!

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I am going to give some praise. Thanks for taking time out of your day to post some pacer related news to the digest bro!

Thank you my man , kind of you to say :)

Sookie
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I found the comments about Lance from Mike Wells to be odd.

Because I always thought Lance said the right thing during interviews and such. Like..that wasn't the problem. (Said he wanted to be a Lawyer if he wasn't a basketball player, said he'd do whatever Coach Vogel wanted him to do..ect..) So I mean, I obviously don't know what goes on behind the scenes..but I've never heard him say anything wrong/stupid/bad ect..

Trader Joe
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Positive news coming out about Lance Stephenson from the Indianapolis/Pacers based media? Why...this is unheard of!

Back in my hole
:goodnight

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Positive news coming out about Lance Stephenson from the Indianapolis/Pacers based media? Why...this is unheard of!

Back in my hole
:goodnight

don't tease us ;)

PR07
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
1) Lance seems committed to staying in Indy and working on his game and conditioning this summer, regardless of the lockout.

For #1, I'm not about to praise Lance for doing what all NBA players should be doing. This should be the norm.

It would be like praising a student for doing his homework. At a certain level, it's just expected.

Gamble1
07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
For #1, I'm not about to praise Lance for doing what all NBA players should be doing. This should be the norm.

It would be like praising a student for doing his homework. At a certain level, it's just expected.
Come on now.... How many geniuses do homework when schools out?

Bottom line "if" he is the most talented player on the Pacers I am glad he's actually putting those talents to use in a lock out.

xBulletproof
07-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Actually, it's more like the student who was always in detention and ignoring his teachers doing his homework and paying attention in class.

Much different.

PR07
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Actually, it's more like the student who was always in detention and ignoring his teachers doing his homework and paying attention in class.

Much different.

Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I'm not about to cuddle someone for doing what they should've been doing in the first place. If you're going to do that, then you might as well praise the other 14 guys on the roster too, who have probably been doing that their whole careers. It's nice to see Lance acting like a professional, but that's expected.

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I'm not about to cuddle someone for doing what they should've been doing in the first place. If you're going to do that, then you might as well praise the other 14 guys on the roster too, who have probably been doing that their whole careers. It's nice to see Lance acting like a professional, but that's expected.

I do understand your point, I think it is valid. However if (like the prior poster said) you have a student who has say struggled in math for the whole year,(say a D- average or so) then spend his summer busting his hump studing math and has a "C" average the next year , thats rewarding and exciting

if you have a highly intelligent kid who is lazy and gets a C , different story

ECKrueger
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I do understand your point, I think it is valid. However if (like the prior poster said) you have a student who has say struggled in math for the whole year,(say a D- average or so) then spend his summer busting his hump studing math and has a "C" average the next year , thats rewarding and exciting

if you have a highly intelligent kid who is lazy and gets a C , different story

I agree with you guys. If said student gets an A somehow, you can't criticize him because he had a D- before. He still got an A, it just takes time for some people. Better off taking time than not getting it at all.

LetsTalkPacers
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Your not really giving him "praise" as much as you are thanking him. I just dont see how this is considered "praising" him, so much as your just grateful for his post. :laugh:

Sparhawk
07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
If only Damon Bailey would participate too. I miss watching that guy play.

xBulletproof
07-12-2011, 07:11 PM

It's hilarious that someone accuses me of 'cudding' Lance. Of all people, ME! :laugh:

I understand the sentiment you're trying to convey, but that's a narrow view. All the other stuff doesn't matter at all. He wasn't acting professional, and now that he is, he deserves some recognition for it. I don't care if everyone in the world was doing it, and he wasn't. It's something most people are incapable of, changing something when they realize it's something that needs changed. That's a two parter actually. Most people are too self absorbed to realize they're doing something that needs changed, and most who do realize it are incapable of changing it. It's nothing easy. Especially when involved with how you act towards other people and your work ethic.

The only question is does it stick? Anyway, I don't see how this isn't worthy of of some recognition. That's not coddling, that's just giving credit where it's due for working on ones personal weaknesses. Something ANYONE should be able to relate to. I've been one of the most ruthless on Lance the last year plus, but change has to start somewhere. I'm hoping this is the start.

90'sNBARocked
07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
It's hilarious that someone accuses me of 'cudding' Lance. Of all people, ME! :laugh:

I understand the sentiment you're trying to convey, but that's a narrow view. All the other stuff doesn't matter at all. He wasn't acting professional, and now that he is, he deserves some recognition for it. I don't care if everyone in the world was doing it, and he wasn't. It's something most people are incapable of, changing something when they realize it's something that needs changed. That's a two parter actually. Most people are too self absorbed to realize they're doing something that needs changed, and most who do realize it are incapable of changing it. It's nothing easy. Especially when involved with how you act towards other people and your work ethic.

The only question is does it stick? Anyway, I don't see how this isn't worthy of of some recognition. That's not coddling, that's just giving credit where it's due for working on ones personal weaknesses. Something ANYONE should be able to relate to. I've been one of the most ruthless on Lance the last year plus, but change has to start somewhere. I'm hoping this is the start.

Man, bro very well said

PR07
07-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Sorry, I don't follow all your posts? No one's accusing anyone of anything here, just simmer down. There are numerous posters on this site, and just because I don't recall your stance on a particular player, hardly makes anything laughable. It's called a life.

I handle most things old school. I believe in achieving things the good old fashioned hard way with hard work and dedication. That's just the way I see it, and most of my viewpoints fall along that line. If you want to give Lance an A+ star for doing things that any player SHOULD be doing during the lockout, kudos to you. However, what else would he be doing? Sitting on his couch eating twinkies? Causing mischief and mayhem?

I would hope as an NBA player, he'd have the discipline to hit the gym and train and work out. Paul George has done everything the right way since he's been here, and is every bit as talented if not more than Lance. Yet, there aren't two threads praising him currently, and that's a shame because that kid has been a good soldier since Day 1 and has literally gone above and beyond. The fact that Lance is doing things just like everyone else is fine, but I'll praise him when he goes above and beyond. Praise is for those that are exceptional, not those that simply want to blend in and do what they already should've been doing.

I'm glad he's on the right track, but I refuse to praise him. To me, it's what he'll do afterwards that will merit praise.

xBulletproof
07-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I don't follow all your posts? No one's accusing anyone of anything here, just simmer down. There are numerous posters on this site, and just because I don't recall your stance on a particular player, hardly makes anything laughable. It's called a life.

You took that wayyyyy too seriously. So simmer yo self, sucka. ;) I didn't expect you to know my exact stance, but it doesn't change that it makes it humorous to me, and 90's I'm sure because he and I have butted heads on Lance quite often.

Sitting on his couch eating twinkies? Causing mischief and mayhem?

To be honest, yes I'm sure there are a lot of people here who expected him to go home to NYC and end up in a load of trouble. We'll suffice it to say it wouldn't have shocked me either.

I would hope as an NBA player, he'd have the discipline to hit the gym and train and work out. Paul George has done everything the right way since he's been here, and is every bit as talented if not more than Lance. Yet, there aren't two threads praising him currently, and that's a shame because that kid has been a good soldier since Day 1 and has literally gone above and beyond.

First off, you're right there aren't 2 threads praising Paul. There are dozens over the months. There's a boatload of posts all over doing the same. Paul George is this boards darling right now. No idea how you've missed that. On top of that, we don't know that Paul is actually going 'above and beyond' either. We have no idea how often the average NBA player in the offseason works out on average. Just because Paul George tweets it and posts video's and we're aware of it more often, doesn't mean he's going to the gym more than anyone else in reality. We will never know.

It just feels more like you have a preconceived notion of what 'above and beyond' is when we really don't know.

RLeWorm
07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
if lance was put in john walls situation last year, he would have put up better stats than Wall just my opinion.

PR07
07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
First off, you're right there aren't 2 threads praising Paul. There are dozens over the months. There's a boatload of posts all over doing the same. Paul George is this boards darling right now. No idea how you've missed that. On top of that, we don't know that Paul is actually going 'above and beyond' either. We have no idea how often the average NBA player in the offseason works out on average. Just because Paul George tweets it and posts video's and we're aware of it more often, doesn't mean he's going to the gym more than anyone else in reality. We will never know.

It just feels more like you have a preconceived notion of what 'above and beyond' is when we really don't know.

Above and beyond is shooting jumpers after a playoff loss in the wee hours of the morning aka Paul George, it's studying film extra hours, it's staying after practice to practice free throws. You're right I don't know what goes on with all the players much more than they tweet or Mike Wells writes, but I do know that I have yet to hear that story on Lance. Until I do, I'll simply tip my cap to him for being like any other NBA player but hold the praise for a later date when it's actually deserved. Thank you come again ;)

Anthem
07-12-2011, 09:00 PM
To be honest, yes I'm sure there are a lot of people here who expected him to go home to NYC and end up in a load of trouble.
I did. It was one of my bigger concerns, actually.

owl
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Even with the "best players in the league" comment (which is the only hint of praise I can detect in the entire article), isn't that expected? I mean there are a handful of NBA players in this league: Randolph, Hill, Gordon, Hayward, etc, but the rest are either college players or guys like Andre Owens. Lance Stephenson should be one of the best players in the league.

Lance Stephenson is basically a college player

PR07
07-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Lance Stephenson is basically a college player

Meh. He's had a year to train and work with the pros, that puts him at an advantage to guys like Shelvin Mack. However, I'll buy that to an extent.

MagicRat
07-13-2011, 01:30 AM
This has some praise for Lance....
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SYpTScPfSyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Day-V
07-13-2011, 02:44 AM

It's like the Chris Rock joke: "I take care of my kids!" You're supposed to, dumbass! "I ain't never been to jail." Watchu want, a cookie?!

adamscb
07-13-2011, 02:54 AM
if anyone can be a guiding light for lance and help get his act together, it's brian shaw

ilive4sports
07-13-2011, 03:22 AM

I thought the big thing here is that he is staying in Indy to work out, rather than going to NYC.

if lance was put in john walls situation last year, he would have put up better stats than Wall just my opinion.

:confused:
John Wall would have been rookie of the year if Blake Griffin didn't miss last season.

pacer4ever
07-13-2011, 03:41 AM
I thought the big thing here is that he is staying in Indy to work out, rather than going to NYC.

:confused:
John Wall would have been rookie of the year if Blake Griffin didn't miss last season.

he is talking about at Kentucky(i think). But Lance would of been backup or a SG next to Bledsoe and company IMO.

Speed
07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
This has some praise for Lance....
<IFRAME src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SYpTScPfSyw" frameBorder=0 width=560 height=349 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I mean, its no mystery why Larry is so high on this kid. Of course, its summer league. However, he has amazing change of direction with the ball, excellent court vision, and an NBA body at 20 years old.

I just can't help but think if he works hard, his attitude matures toward teammates, and stays out of trouble, he is almost a sure thing. Three big ifs, but man does he have the Potential.

I miss summer league, I'm guessing he would have completely dominated and we'd be salivating.

BPump33
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I mean, its no mystery why Larry is so high on this kid. Of course, its summer league. However, he has amazing change of direction with the ball, excellent court vision, and an NBA body at 20 years old.

I just can't help but think if he works hard, his attitude matures toward teammates, and stays out of trouble, he is almost a sure thing. Three big ifs, but man does he have the Potential.

I miss summer league, I'm guessing he would have completely dominated and we'd be salivating.

Agree on everything, especially missing summer league.

The pass that Lance makes to Rolle around the 8:00 mark is a thing of beauty.

billbradley
07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
if anyone can be a guiding light for lance and help get his act together, it's brian shaw

Clark Kellogg? What a classical human being he is.

Speed
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Agree on everything, especially missing summer league.

The pass that Lance makes to Rolle around the 8:00 mark is a thing of beauty.

If he makes through the probably extended offseason unscathed, I'd love to give him the keys to the 2nd unit as the Point Guard. I know many think he's not one, but regardless, he can generate offense. The second unit will need that.

He just seems like a player who can get guys shots, its just a matter if they can finish the play.

I just keep picturing Lance running pick and rolls/pops with Tyler or Jeff with BRush in one corner and George Hill in the other. Seems like an offensive set that would really be tough to stop.

Taterhead
07-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Stephenson is a PG. Guys who are struggling to learn the PG position can't make the passes in that clip. There is a pass in that clip that's even better than the laser he throws to Rolle knifing down the lane, IMO. At the 1:10 mark, he is going into his shot from about 23 ft and spots Magnum drifting open underneath the hoop for an easy lay up. He took a 35% shot and turned it into a 90% shot. It was exactly what you want out of your PG. The selfish combo guard can never learn to do that.

And he is 6'5" 200-210 to boot. You can see in the clip the vision he shows on the break is stellar. He is very strong with the ball too. He not only knows what pass to make he knows where to go with the ball to create better passing opportunities. He also knows when to finish and has a nose for the rim. He has a great feel for the game. That is so important when talking about a player having elite potential. I think the sky is the limit for him.

Since86
07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I've seen Roy make some pretty good passes. He must be a PG too.

Taterhead
07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I've seen Roy make some pretty good passes. He must be a PG too.

You have seen Roy spot someone knifing down the lane from the top of the key and throwing a one handed dart to him right on the money?

When was that exactly? I want to see.

Since86
07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh, so now we're talking about one particular pass that Lance made. My bad, "passes" to me means multiple. I've seen Roy make some passes that DC can't even dream about making. Passing isn't a skill set that is only possessed by a PG. Dunleavy makes some pretty good passes, and he isn't a PG either.

Being a PG isn't only about being able to make flashy passes.

EDIT: And if you let me change my argument to McRoberts, I'll dig up quite a few highlights of similiar passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-IB1eYxdM&feature=fvwrel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-IB1eYxdM&feature=fvwrel)

1:40 mark. Beautiful pass off the dribble. And at 2:55.

90'sNBARocked
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh, so now we're talking about one particular pass that Lance made. My bad, "passes" to me means multiple. I've seen Roy make some passes that DC can't even dream about making. Passing isn't a skill set that is only possessed by a PG. Dunleavy makes some pretty good passes, and he isn't a PG either.

EDIT: And if you let me change my argument to McRoberts, I'll dig up quite a few highlights of similiar passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-IB1eYxdM&feature=fvwrel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-IB1eYxdM&feature=fvwrel)

Good and fair points. I think he might mean leading the fast break , which Roy cant do, but I would argue McBob can, he passes very well for a Forward

PR07
07-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Good news! Mike Wells tweeted that Lance Stephenson successfully tied his shoes today. Wait! I'll cue the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1qzIggZnA

MagicRat
07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
If we're talking about passing...
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y-XQd8ALsp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BPump33
07-13-2011, 02:51 PM
19 pts, 11 rebs, 23 assists.....that's awesome!

Why am I crying?

Sookie
07-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Good and fair points. I think he might mean leading the fast break , which Roy cant do, but I would argue McBob can, he passes very well for a Forward

Josh passes very well for any type of player. (He can get a bit cutesy at times)
Still not a point guard.

90'sNBARocked
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Josh passes very well for any type of player. (He can get a bit cutesy at times)
Still not a point guard.

not a point guard but capable in my opinion, of snatching the rebound, leading the break and making a nice pass

TheDon
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Ugh...somebody should show Lance that video of Tinsley, what an atrociously disgusting waste of talent.

Taterhead
07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
If we're talking about passing...
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y-XQd8ALsp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah Jamal was a natural PG and a huge waste of talent. He has nothing to do with Lance though.

Nobody is talking about whether or not the kid is capable of failing, we are talking about whether or not he is capable of succeeding.

90'sNBARocked
07-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Ugh...somebody should show Lance that video of Tinsley, what an atrociously disgusting waste of talent.

Yep

No doubt The Tin Man will hopefully live to regret he didnt give it his all

could have been special

Taterhead
07-13-2011, 07:01 PM

It's hard for me to take you seriously when you respond with such a smug post. If you don't know why Lance can play point and Josh can't, then I can't help you.

xBulletproof
07-13-2011, 07:07 PM
It's hard for me to take you seriously when you respond with such a smug post. If you don't know why Lance can play point and Josh can't, then I can't help you.

You're missing the point. There's more to being a PG than just the ability to pass, and make a pinpoint pass. There's just simply making the right play, and directing traffic to put other people in the position to make the right play if you can't get there.

If Lance has no direct angle to pass to Hibbert who has a smaller guy switched on him, but Paul George is in the corner and does have that angle .... do I see Lance making the pass to George with the intent of getting the ball to Hibbert? I really don't. He, like you seem to be, are enamored with the ability to make an amazing pass. Not just making the right play for the team. He held the ball for entirely too long when he was playing, and most of his assists were passes to someone as the shot clock was running down. That's NOT being a point guard, even if you get the assist. Not a good one, anyway.

I can't speak for him, but that's the point he was making that you were missing, I'm sure.

Sookie
07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
You're missing the point. There's more to being a PG than just the ability to pass, and make a pinpoint pass. There's just simply making the right play, and directing traffic to put other people in the position to make the right play if you can't get there.

If Lance has no direct angle to pass to Hibbert who has a smaller guy switched on him, but Paul George is in the corner and does have that angle .... do I see Lance making the pass to George with the intent of getting the ball to Hibbert? I really don't. He, like you seem to be, are enamored with the ability to make an amazing pass. Not just making the right play for the team. He held the ball for entirely too long when he was playing, and most of his assists were passes to someone as the shot clock was running down. That's NOT being a point guard, even if you get the assist. Not a good one, anyway.

I can't speak for him, but that's the point he was making that you were missing, I'm sure.

Thank you so much.

Seriously..the point I've been trying to make for months..and why I continuously say that assists aren't defining of a PG.

And it's not as simple as him "learning" how to do that too. There's a lot of instinct and natural bball IQ in a PG, it's not just ball handling and passing.

*and..I'm done talking about this/him...again. :D *

xBulletproof
07-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you so much.

Seriously..the point I've been trying to make for months..and why I continuously say that assists aren't defining of a PG.

And it's not as simple as him "learning" how to do that too. There's a lot of instinct and natural bball IQ in a PG, it's not just ball handling and passing.

No problem, and this is where you and I see eye to eye on AJ Price. He's exceptional at those sort of things. However, where we lose each other is on his shooting. I don't believe he's nearly as good of a shooter as a lot of people did before his 34% or whatever from last year. He does always hit the big shots though, and important ones at anytime during the game when it's needed for momentum. It's rather uncanny. That tells me it's a concentration issue or something.

He irons out his consistency on the shooting and I'm down for him to be the backup PG.

docpaul
07-13-2011, 07:49 PM

The way I look at it, at least we won't see Stephenson driving to the hoop, and getting stuck as often. It'll be interesting to see how Lance matures on his long range game as well.

I'm more interested in his ability to serve as a backup guard at this point. :)

Taterhead
07-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Trust me, I know there is more to playing PG than just making assists and nice passes. I think Lance shows all those qualities you are talking about. I've tried to explain that many times. I'm not sure how to get that through to everyone.

I wish instead of someone saying something like "There's more to playing PG than passing", they would explain what qualities they think Lance lacks that will stop him from playing PG in the league. I have yet to see anyone do that.

Thank you so much.

The passes I am pointing out are a direct reflection on his instincts and basketball IQ, IMO. That's where my opinion stems from.

Sookie
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
No problem, and this is where you and I see eye to eye on AJ Price. He's exceptional at those sort of things. However, where we lose each other is on his shooting. I don't believe he's nearly as good of a shooter as a lot of people did before his 34% or whatever from last year. He does always hit the big shots though, and important ones at anytime during the game when it's needed for momentum. It's rather uncanny. That tells me it's a concentration issue or something.

He irons out his consistency on the shooting and I'm down for him to be the backup PG.

I think it's his leg strength. Particularly last year..but I think that was the trend in college too. He has a pretty shot, and when he's missing he's short. So, that's something he needs to work on, I'm sure it's something the trainers could help him with when they are allowed to talk to the players again. And it would probably help if he didn't have a serious injury for..well lets try a 3 year stretch, anymore time might be pushing it..:laugh:

I also suspect he gets in his head a little too much. Not as bad as Roy, but pretty bad.

Anthem
07-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I wish instead of someone saying something like "There's more to playing PG than passing", they would explain what qualities they think Lance lacks that will stop him from playing PG in the league. I have yet to see anyone do that.
Besides his poor off-court decision making, my biggest concern is his ability to defend the position.

It's part of what makes the Hill pickup so interesting... A Lance/George backcourt is something I'm really looking forward to.

Kemo
07-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Thank you come again ;)

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/18/128898453169819677.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BbbW4nFN_S8/St6PcsSEuOI/AAAAAAAAK18/CSpiQk4_U6c/s1600/seveneleven.JPG

pacer4ever
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM

This is why LeBron struggled at pg in his rookie year. If you all remember they played him exclusively there until they found out they needed another pg who played the correct way and moved him to the forward spot. Lebron has a issue that every pass has to be a home run or an assist he didn't make the simply play. He still has that issue to this day if LBJ would just make simple and correct plays some times it would take his game to another level IMO.