PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Poll: Would you have been happy if Larry came down as coach?

neosmndrew
07-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Lets just pretend for a second that last year Frank did such a terrible job that there was no way in hell that we would have hired him. We would have been in the coaching chase and all the other names that were on the market were still there. Would you have been okay with Bird stepping down and taking over as coach?

Pacer Fan
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
No

Bird has been doing to good of a job the last couple years. Bird and Morway have a plan and it doesn't involve Bird being Coach Bird, but it does involve the Pacers being championship contenders.

:dance:

Brad8888
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Without a complete overhaul of the roster to a veteran laden team that can run things themselves, coupled with better communicators as assistant coaches, Bird wouldn't be very good as a coach, and he has said as much himself at various times in the past few years.

Sparhawk
07-11-2011, 05:02 PM
No. Lots of good reasons why, but I'll go with his health as the main factor.

cdash
07-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I would have been fine with it. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but you could do far worse than Larry Bird as your coach.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
If I knew Larry wanted to do it and knew that Larry was physically capable of doing it, of course I'd be fine with it because I thought he did a very good job from 1997-2000 in that role. I am not one who subscribes to the theory that the head coach must be the master X/O guy, the details guy, the everything guy. Those guys are great too, but I'm equally fine with a smart, delegating, leader of a head coach who is capable of surrounding himself with the right "instruments" as his assistant coaches to get high quality results.

So, yeah, if he could re-produce the kind of staff and setup he had in place in the late 90's, I'd be completely cool with that.

All that said, that's not reality, and that ship sailed a decade ago.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't want to see Lance play 48 minutes per night so no:D

Kegboy
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
If Frank had failed miserably, then the 3 year plan would be a failure and Larry should then have been out on his behind.